Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (13) « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 12 » ... Last »
Apr 12, 2022 2:24 PM

Feb 2021
epeolatrous said:
As someone who hasn’t read the manga, I thought the pilot was really rushed, to the point where I had to double check the duration of the episode, as well as the playback speed of the video (some of the dialogue literally felt like it was on 2x). I guess Wit Studio and CloverWorks wanted to pack as much as possible in that first episode to give the viewers a good overview of what the series is about, and what’s to come. Not sure if the story will unfold at a much slower/normal pace in later episodes (I hope so), but I liked the VA and the overall production value, so I’ll keep an eye on this anime. If anything, it made me want to pick up the manga ASAP, so there’s that.

It's because they had to pack a 70-page first chapter into one 24-minute long episode. Moving forward, the chapters are shorter, so it'll most likely get a more relaxed pace moving forward.
Apr 12, 2022 2:26 PM

Feb 2021
LinkedHorizon007 said:
CaptFredricks said:

It feels rushed because it's almost a 1:1 translation from chapter 1. I know because I just read/watched them together. It's super tight, lol.

I'd imagine moving forward, the pacing will be a little bit more relaxed since chapter 1 is around 70 pages long and the others are 30 or less (chapter 2 is actually about 60 so it might be a similar pacing to this one).

Honestly, it does move fast, but it's not a bad adaptation at all, unlike *cough* God of High School *cough*

Yes, hopefully it would be better. Someone already mentioned it in a reply to my previous forum post. But I've realised that the problem isn't actually that it is a 1:1 with the Manga. The actual problem is tight and non flexible TV schedules. I mean, if they could, the episode could have been 30 mins long, just enough time to adapt every thing. If the anime was broadcasted not on the TV but digitally just like the Manga I imagine the situation would be completely different.

Agreed. If only we could have gotten this as a 30-minute episode!
Apr 12, 2022 2:37 PM
Feb 2016
CaptFredricks said:
epeolatrous said:
As someone who hasn’t read the manga, I thought the pilot was really rushed, to the point where I had to double check the duration of the episode, as well as the playback speed of the video (some of the dialogue literally felt like it was on 2x). I guess Wit Studio and CloverWorks wanted to pack as much as possible in that first episode to give the viewers a good overview of what the series is about, and what’s to come. Not sure if the story will unfold at a much slower/normal pace in later episodes (I hope so), but I liked the VA and the overall production value, so I’ll keep an eye on this anime. If anything, it made me want to pick up the manga ASAP, so there’s that.

It's because they had to pack a 70-page first chapter into one 24-minute long episode. Moving forward, the chapters are shorter, so it'll most likely get a more relaxed pace moving forward.

Ooh that’s interesting, and reassuring for sure. I was actually thinking of putting the anime on hold until I read the manga, and come back to it afterwards. But I’ll give it a few more episodes to see if the pacing is fixed. Also, 70 pages for one chapter? That’s massive. No wonder it felt rushed. If only the episodes were longer.
Apr 12, 2022 2:41 PM

Feb 2021
epeolatrous said:
CaptFredricks said:

Ooh that’s interesting, and reassuring for sure. I was actually thinking of putting the anime on hold until I read the manga, and come back to it afterwards. But I’ll give it a few more episodes to see if the pacing is fixed. Also, 70 pages for one chapter? That’s massive. No wonder it felt rushed. If only the episodes were longer.

Yes! This episode would have been perfect if it were around 30 minutes long. A double- or even triple-length first chapter is not uncommon for manga, tbh.
Apr 12, 2022 2:50 PM
Feb 2016
CaptFredricks said:
epeolatrous said:

Yes! This episode would have been perfect if it were around 30 minutes long. A double- or even triple-length first chapter is not uncommon for manga, tbh.

Yeah, except Spy x Family doesn’t strike me as an intricately-woven manga with a myriad of characters to introduce and a complicated world-building to establish. Could be wrong, though. All things considered it was a pretty chill first episode, just fast-paced.
epeolatrousApr 13, 2022 10:46 PM
Apr 12, 2022 3:11 PM

Nov 2011
Banging introduction

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Apr 12, 2022 3:28 PM
Mar 2021
I have only seen the first episode of the show and yet I am already completely attached to Anya and Loid's daddy-daughter dynamic. Where Loid desperately tries to hold on to his cold spy identity and stopping himself from growing attached to Anya and predictably failing at doing so and inevitably falling in love with Anya's quirky personality. I am already completely enticed by this anime and I can already see myself anticipating every coming episode for the next many coming weeks.

My god, I am struggling to put how much I like this anime so far into words.
Apr 12, 2022 8:07 PM
Jan 2022
I really liked it! It left me with a pleasant feeling, and I feel it’s gonna become one of my favourite series. I can’t wait to see more!
Apr 13, 2022 12:10 AM
Aug 2015
It's a cool idea and very refreshing, did they skip anything from the source material?
I feel they didn't establish the characters too well. His (The spy) relationship with the new daughter doesn't feel as authentic (I mean, she is adopted, but I still not convinced). I couldn't follow what his goal is so far.
Apr 13, 2022 12:28 AM

Feb 2021
epeolatrous said:
CaptFredricks said:

Yeah, except Spy x Family doesn’t strike me as an intricately-woven manga with a myriad of characters to introduce and a complicated world-building. Could be wrong, though. All things considered it was a pretty chill first episode, just fast-paced.

It's... not a super complex story, but the world gets a lot more fleshed out. The manga is at chapter 62 right now and quite a few other characters and scenarios have been introduced.
Apr 13, 2022 12:30 AM

Feb 2021
DoubleR said:
It's a cool idea and very refreshing, did they skip anything from the source material?
I feel they didn't establish the characters too well. His (The spy) relationship with the new daughter doesn't feel as authentic (I mean, she is adopted, but I still not convinced). I couldn't follow what his goal is so far.

Nothing was skipped. This episode adapted all of chapter 1. Their relationship develops a lot more over the course of the series.
Apr 13, 2022 9:54 AM

Feb 2021
That was an amazing 1st episode. So fucking wholesome!

Anya should be protected at all costs.

Loid is one hell of a guy. Idk if his real name will ever be revealed.

Waiting for mama to join the family :3

The animation was pretty darn good. I mean we have WIT here so we can rest assured.

ED was really good too!

Can't wait for more!
DeonXApr 13, 2022 9:58 AM

Apr 13, 2022 1:31 PM
Oct 2021
Anya is soo adorable!
but your mama will probably exist next week anya
Apr 13, 2022 3:25 PM

Sep 2020
i love this already it's so cute
Apr 13, 2022 4:08 PM

Mar 2021
Well Im not disapointed with this most anticipated anime of the season !
Really nice, spy stuff, action and funny moments

I love how Anya knows everything he thinks because of her power x)
Anya is so precious, so cute, must protecc ! <3

Next mission, find a mom ! xD
Apr 13, 2022 6:39 PM

Oct 2015
It painful waiting for episode 2. Episode 1 for english dub on twitch for early preview sound fun.
Apr 13, 2022 9:16 PM

May 2020
fairly rushed episode, but still very good
Apr 13, 2022 9:49 PM
Nov 2016
More than 200k+ watching even though 2nd episode still not aired many good and popular animes cannot be able to touch that high even at the end of season episode
Apr 14, 2022 2:18 AM

Nov 2014
Ellisot said:
It was ok however I think they should have used more time to make the Spy dude get attached to Anya cus like that’s obviously out of character and that’s kinda the point but I feel like If they used more time it would have been better seeing him get more and more to start to carr about her and in this first episode maybe he should have not cared at all then care for her little by little instead of knowing her like one day and then just risking a lot to save her and all that. Anyways Idk how it’s like in the Manga which it is based on but if it’s like that in the Manga also then I guess it’s ok as they have to be Manga accurate.
i don't think you need to know a child for more than one day to risk a lot to save them. Especially if they're your adopted daughter so you're responsible for her.
Apr 14, 2022 2:22 AM

Nov 2014
rizuxizu said:
Interesting fact... Spy x Family episode 1 have not been approved to be released on official platform bilibili yet. Anya cuteness is indeed a terrifying weapon, I can't fault the country and CCP for being afraid of the ultimate cuteness.

Not even surprised considering the increasing censorship on bilibili that began about a year ago and caused many perfectly appropriate animes to be heavily inspected and released late (like To Your Eternity)
Apr 14, 2022 5:00 AM
Jul 2021
At first, I hesitated to watch this series, after episode 1 I think it is dope enough for me to hook up with the story and the characters, and will read the manga probably after the whole season is finished. Anya is cute, I have seen her memes before and looking forward to the next episodes. But some dudes from TikTok whining about the show and claiming it "sexualizes Anya" by simply blushing and she was lifted up by his adopted spy father which is absurd lifting your kids is lewd now according to TikTokers lol.
Apr 14, 2022 7:44 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Nice first episode. The hype is understandable.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Apr 14, 2022 9:15 AM
Aug 2021
I'm happy with the first episode. I really wish to see whether they fully adapt every beat or if they do their own thing with certain aspects of a manga that became one of my favorites. That being said, I am completely biased from the love I have for the source. So no matter what I'll probably end up loving it when complete. It just brings me joy to see the characters fully voiced and colorized and the jazzy tracks are perfect for the setting.
Apr 14, 2022 3:37 PM

Sep 2017
Yeah this was really fun. I can see why this has been so anticipated. Interesting premise, action, and wholesome family vibes. What more can you ask for?
Apr 14, 2022 3:54 PM
Jun 2020
can someone say why this is nearly in the top 10 on MAL? is this anime so good? i read the Synopsis and watched the first ep but i fail to understand it i mean sure it has some strong points like 8man voice actor but there is nothing that captivates me i heard some people say it will be the best anime of all time and other big things but for me its just clumsy propaganda and filled with bots like ishuzoku reviewers
Apr 14, 2022 7:55 PM

Oct 2015
Maruseru93 said:
can someone say why this is nearly in the top 10 on MAL? is this anime so good? i read the Synopsis and watched the first ep but i fail to understand it i mean sure it has some strong points like 8man voice actor but there is nothing that captivates me i heard some people say it will be the best anime of all time and other big things but for me its just clumsy propaganda and filled with bots like ishuzoku reviewers

Most of them are manga readers, if you love wholeness and cute... There isn't much show/manga that beat this.
Apr 15, 2022 2:51 AM
Oct 2021
This was amazing. I haven't read the manga, but I've heard a lot about it and was really looking forward to seeing the anime adaption. This definitely exceed my expectations!
The Art and Animation is solid, Anyas Character Design is so cute.
The comedy actually made me chuckle a bit and we already got some backstory to both Loid and Anya, made me excited to see where they would go with that.
Also, the chemistry these two have! It's so adorable and Loid is absolutely gonna get attached to Anya lmao...
Apr 15, 2022 3:41 AM

Jun 2012
Yeah, I'm already seeing the hype. God damn this was an unbelievable first episode. Border line masterpiece.

The art + animation is amazing, I love the character designs specifically. The amount of emotion on Anya's face + her character is so fucking cute.

Anime of the year.

Love the ED too.

Will most likely be the closest anime to a 10 in an unreal amount of years. It'd have to get so much worse, but it's clear that the studio knows what they're doing. I almost died of cuteness this episode ngl. Might lower the anime to a 10 instead of a 11 since It almost killed me but w.e
SasoraApr 15, 2022 3:47 AM
Apr 15, 2022 5:06 AM
May 2021
spy father with an adopted psychic daughter, defintitely one of the wildest plots ive seen
Apr 15, 2022 1:21 PM

Apr 2022
omg Anya doesn't have the right to be this cute!
Apr 15, 2022 2:35 PM

Apr 2008
Anya is to pure for this world! I think I am really going to like this anime, only the first episode in and I am already tearing up.
Apr 15, 2022 6:40 PM

Jun 2016
Immediately fell in love with the ED. Can’t stop listening to it. Glad its full version is on Apple Music.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Apr 15, 2022 11:47 PM

Mar 2013
This is the first anime in a long time that I now look forward to every week (haven't been a seasonal watcher since 2016).

Apr 16, 2022 1:43 AM
Aug 2021
What a mad first episode. Exciting and engaging fron start to finish. You can sympathise with both Anya and Loid's plights. This anime is turning out to be exactly what it says in the title, a family. Incredible!
Apr 16, 2022 4:09 AM

Oct 2015
Episode 2 tonight, dub was fun but it hard to top the Japanese version.
Apr 16, 2022 8:21 AM
Apr 2020
Cuteness overload
Apr 16, 2022 9:09 AM

Dec 2013
Wow, that was surprisingly wholesome! Definitely another banger this season.
Apr 16, 2022 11:03 AM

Nov 2019
It was ok but after what I heard I expected something more to be honest... Well, I'll wait for how it's gonna elope but at the moment I think it'll end with max 6 or 7 from me.
Apr 16, 2022 2:20 PM

Nov 2009
Quite an interesting series,

Anya was so cute the entire time.

___ ___ ___

Tho looks like this series had so much marketing and popularity that it's fanbase is like 50:50, where 50% is actual fans, while the other 50% is made up of trolls or evangelists or activist that's spamming the web with random shit to discredit this series.

This isn't the only series to have this issue, a lot of recent series has ppls (trolls or not) blending anything that contains "children or females" as "sexualizing children" or "gender inequality"...

Smaller series also had this, but it's just more noticeable on bigger (popular) series, and series that's being semul-cast on varies platforms (such as CR, Netflix, etc) usually get higher populace of viewers that result in more people discussing about the series and ends up with a lot of controversies.

___ ___ ___

Nothing Written Here But Us Anime Bunnies *boing boing boing*
Apr 17, 2022 2:29 PM

Nov 2014
I had really high expectations for this anime and it seems to have lived up to them. Really good start. Kids in anime are often a hit or miss for me. It's easy to make them annoying brats or too forcefully "cute". Anya seems to be nicely balanced so far.

As a side note, I like Loid's design. It's somewhat rare to have an adult male looking like... an adult male! He has good shape with some muscles, but natural proportions. He clearly looks like adult instead of another"slightly taller highschooler". Idk why it impressed me that much.
Apr 17, 2022 2:42 PM

Mar 2010
Anya stole the show, but their synergy of complication was just so fucking good.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Apr 17, 2022 4:42 PM
May 2021
Rexy72 said:
spy father with an adopted psychic daughter, defintitely one of the wildest plots ive seen

ongg we give a shit
Apr 18, 2022 12:50 PM

Apr 2015
It's undoubtedly well made, but at points slightly wonky, actually a bit too fast for me too.

It gets a 7 for me, and I'm inclined to expect a 7 at the end for the whole show too, which is great, but not AOTS great to be honest.
Apr 19, 2022 2:32 AM

Dec 2013
This was more fun than I expected. Papa is a good liar indeed :)
Apr 19, 2022 2:54 AM
Mar 2015
It was decent, but nothing to write home about. Animation wise the exterior designs was very good. I'm not totally sold on this, but will continue watching it for the time being.
ElsmandearkaApr 19, 2022 3:00 AM
Apr 20, 2022 7:14 AM
Mar 2012
lol cant believe his new name as Forger. Anya's hilarious, despite telepathy they still misunderstand each other.
Parenting quite hard but heartwarming to have Loid seriously try.
Most shows i watch been far less popular, duno why everyone's watching this but it decent.
Apr 20, 2022 8:39 AM

Feb 2018
Very good animation, character design, voice acting, music, sound design, pacing and storytelling. I never expected it to make the balance between genres this well, this anime will be one of the best series if it goes like this.
Apr 20, 2022 10:37 AM

Dec 2016
Anya is so adorable!

The way Anya says “Mama sonzai shinai” is so hilarious XD

“I wanted to make a world where no kid has to cry”
That's the most ridiculous line I've ever heard XD

I'm an anime only for this so that was a nice start, looking forward for the mother to exist soon XD
Apr 21, 2022 12:41 AM
Apr 2022
loved the series!!!
Apr 21, 2022 8:21 AM

Feb 2012
This is the first time in years a new anime genuinely interested me, it even made me pick up the manga.
Pages (13) « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 12 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Spy x Family Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 30, 2022

402 by Fenc »»
Apr 24, 11:13 AM

Poll: » Spy x Family Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 25, 2022

490 by Aleesaa »»
Apr 22, 12:16 AM

Poll: » Spy x Family Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 11, 2022

320 by boumboumboum »»
Apr 9, 5:52 PM

Poll: » Spy x Family Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 4, 2022

247 by nyxzded »»
Apr 9, 2:42 AM

Poll: » Spy x Family Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 21, 2022

237 by Poppy123 »»
Mar 26, 5:32 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.