Forum Settings
Forums

Production I.G and Wit Studio to Host Panels at MAL Expo Lite 2022

New
Feb 19, 2022 12:45 PM

Mar 2017

As part of MyAnimeList's "MAL x Japan" initiative to connect anime fans and creators, the MAL Anime Academy at MAL Expo Lite 2022—MyAnimeList's first online exposition—will feature panels from studios Production I.G and Wit Studio, with industry experts seeking to shed light on the processes behind making an anime.

Mikio Gunji (Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou executive producer) will host the Production I.G panel featuring one of the company's co-founders, Takayuki Gotou (Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These chief animation director). The two will discuss various stages of anime production and will answer questions submitted by fans, three of whom will win copies of Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These Official Design Works artbooks signed by Gunji and Gotou.

George Wada (Ousama Ranking, Vinland Saga executive producer), president of Wit Studio and executive vice president of Production I.G, will look back on the Wit Studio's first ten years, introduce some of its latest titles, and also answer fan-submitted questions. Fans whose questions are read will receive copies of the 2022 Wit Studio calendar signed by Wada, co-founder Tetsuya Nakatake, and animator Kyouji Asano (Shingeki no Kyojin character designer, chief animation director). Both panels will feature English translation via a live interpreter.

More information about the panels can be found here, including a link to submit questions for the participants. The MAL Expo Lite 2022 livestream will take place on February 25 from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m. Pacific Time (PT) on the official MyAnimeList YouTube channel. The Production I.G and Wit Studio panels at MAL Anime Academy begin at 5 p.m. and 6 p.m., respectively.

Production I.G was established as I.G Tatsunoko, Ltd. in December 1987 by Akai Koudan Zillion (Zillion) producer Mitsuhisa Ishikawa and character designer/animation director Takayuki Gotou, with assistance from Kyoto Animation co-founders Hideaki and Youko Hatta, among others. Ishikawa was impressed with the group producing Akai Koudan Zillian at Tatsunoko Production and founded the new studio under the I.G (Ishikawa and Gotou) name to keep the team together.

I.G Tatsunoko cut ties with Tatsunoko Production (11.2% of which is now owned by Production I.G) in 1993 and became Production I.G. It produced Mamoru Oshii's Koukaku Kidoutai (Ghost in the Shell) shortly thereafter, and the success of the 1995 film domestically and overseas led to the studio's rapid expansion.

Production I.G became the holding company IG Port, Inc. (IG Port) in December 2007, one month prior to a merger with manga publisher Mag Garden. Anime production was transferred to a new subsidiary bearing IG Port's former "Production I.G" name.

George Wada and then-Production I.G producer Tetsuya Nakatake founded Wit Studio in June 2012 as a subsidiary under IG Port, with roughly one third of the capital invested in the new studio coming from their own funds. The company initially sought to develop marketable ideas and expand orders for productions, as well as to partner with a wide range of companies and creators.

Wit Studio received its first prime contract for a television anime—an adaptation of Hajime Isayama's Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan) shounen manga series—in 2013. The studio went on to produce 59 TV episodes, six OVA episodes, and four recap films for the series, winning numerous awards for its work.

Source: MAL x Japan
ImperfectBlueFeb 19, 2022 12:54 PM
Feb 19, 2022 1:06 PM

Jan 2009
George Wada the CEO that makes his employees eat energy bars rather than normal meals https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/convention/2017/anime-expo/world-premiere-of-ancient-magus-bride-tv/.118040
Feb 19, 2022 4:28 PM
Aug 2016
I'm curious about what Takayuki Gotou has to say because he kinda always avoided attention despite being the co-founder of I.G, while Ishikawa was the one in the spotlight all the time.
Feb 19, 2022 10:51 PM

Feb 2020
I have already submitted my questions yesterday. Hope it gets selected. (Though it probably wont)
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Feb 20, 2022 12:26 AM

May 2015
Should've asked as to why WIT wasn't in AOT's committee and as to why IG got in and managed to stay up to S4P2 despite being in an assistance role and eventually leaving the scene from S2.

But then, I forgot to submit it, damn.

Those with dirty minds will find my Steam pic offensive
Feb 20, 2022 2:03 AM

Feb 2021
Great! Two big people from the anime industry will be on this event!
Feb 20, 2022 8:32 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Looking forward to this! Two prominent figures in the anime industry now. Here's to hoping my question(s) get(s) selected too.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Feb 20, 2022 11:09 AM

May 2018
Feb 21, 2022 12:17 AM

Sep 2019
deg said:
George Wada the CEO that makes his employees eat energy bars rather than normal meals https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/convention/2017/anime-expo/world-premiere-of-ancient-magus-bride-tv/.118040
he still do that or Wit changed their strategic system?
"I think I wanted to attack something. Like betraying people or hurting people. And, well, it's not exactly nice, but hurting the readers too... In all honestly, I feel that's what I really wanted to do. For me, as a reader, when I think, "this manga will remain in my heart," it means, for example, it phenomenally hurt me: It's those kinds of experiences I'm after." - Pajime Hisayama (My favourite hurting author).
Feb 21, 2022 5:31 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Look at MAL doing something super neat and cool for us lol....Good stuff
Feb 26, 2022 4:48 AM

Sep 2019
Adampk said:
I have already submitted my questions yesterday. Hope it gets selected. (Though it probably wont)
_MushiRock11_ said:
Looking forward to this! Two prominent figures in the anime industry now. Here's to hoping my question(s) get(s) selected too.
Seijatachiiii said:
I submitted my questions. I wonder if they will get picked.
So, you guys questions were brought up or not?
"I think I wanted to attack something. Like betraying people or hurting people. And, well, it's not exactly nice, but hurting the readers too... In all honestly, I feel that's what I really wanted to do. For me, as a reader, when I think, "this manga will remain in my heart," it means, for example, it phenomenally hurt me: It's those kinds of experiences I'm after." - Pajime Hisayama (My favourite hurting author).

More topics from this board

» 'Black★★Rock Shooter: Dawn Fall' Reveals Additional Cast, First Promo

DatRandomDude - Feb 11, 2022

11 by nisafitri »»
3 hours ago

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 23

5 by dimidrum »»
Yesterday, 3:41 PM

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
Yesterday, 1:40 PM

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
Yesterday, 12:19 PM

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

1 by RobertBobert »»
Yesterday, 11:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.