Forum Settings
Forums
Fruits Basket Collector's Edition
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
May 13, 2022 8:58 AM

Aug 2020
Perfect for me ,the only issue was the way author resolved the depression part and that tv segment in depression part too otherwise it was best anime for me this year so far...
A lot of things to talk about like how just kyouko-san surpassed tohru's character in this movie and many more but I guess it was easy for anyone to grasp things...
May 13, 2022 6:04 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
Another set of abusive parents. Ah, classic Furuba. Such lame and uninspired writing. Yawn and ugh.

The flashback was the only good thing about this pathetic crap.

3/10
cchiguMay 13, 2022 6:07 PM
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
May 13, 2022 8:46 PM
Apr 2021
as expected of this series and Takaya Natsuki-sensei! love this movie! the recap had me tears especially for Kyou.

I'll give it 10/10
May 13, 2022 8:53 PM

May 2020
Movie starts at 33:28. This film was excellent! A great way to bring me back into the Fruits Basket scene. The story of Tohru's was so cute and heart warming and the ending with Kyo and Tohra was just what I needed! Amazing!
May 14, 2022 9:36 AM

Nov 2020
This is a tough one for me. Typical of Fruits Basket, it's got the great music, and natural flowing dialogue between charming characters who have real chemistry together.

But man... that elephant in the room. I know these student-teacher age gaps are common in shoujo, and I'm not weirded out by the female side of the fantasy, but seeing a romance play out between an adult and a child was still very uncomfortable. She didn't have to be THAT young.

The scenes of the three of them as a family with little Tohru were great and really cute, and of course the new scene with Tohru and Kyo at the end was as well.

May 14, 2022 11:48 AM
Oct 2020
My respect for Katsuya and Kiyoko skyrocketed after watching this. Although most of us knew the story via the vague mention in the anime or through the manga, watching it, feeling it, it's really getting indescribable.
Wherever they be now, may those two find happiness.

May 15, 2022 8:08 AM

Mar 2012
Biggest question I have right now: How in the world did Katsuya die from a cold when he was fine enough to make a phone call just the day before!?
May 15, 2022 4:27 PM

Aug 2017
I felt so bad for Kyouko after losing Katsuya, the sea scene was pretty good and sad at the same time. Not a fan of that recap but it doesn't matter much.

Edit: I wasn't worried but I'm glad they never aged Katsuya down enough to make him a high school student like some were desperately waiting in r/fruitsbasket. It's disrespectful towards the author and the fans to suggest a change due your subjective morals. Those fake fans are probably throwing a tantrum now.
NurguburuMay 15, 2022 4:47 PM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
May 15, 2022 4:42 PM

Oct 2018
Maou_heika said:
Biggest question I have right now: How in the world did Katsuya die from a cold when he was fine enough to make a phone call just the day before!?
Do you know that cold and fatigue can kill a person, right? Katsuya don't want to worry his family so he wore a mask that he's fine. Katsuya was somewhat elegant when he spoke and like what said from the film. He's not an open-book like Kyoko.

“Once you've been loved once and have loved once, you cannot forget it.”
― Natsume Takashi
May 15, 2022 5:06 PM
Jul 2020
This movie makes me cry more than the main series.
May 17, 2022 6:43 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
What a movie that was, the onion cutting ninjas were strong in this one lol. The bit where Kyoko reunited with Katsuya had me holding back tears, I know we already saw that in the anime but after seeing their story and then seeing that again it worked really well, y’all got me sobbing lol. But damn it was such a good movie, the first 30 minutes being recap was a little unexpected but honestly it was nice to have it after a year since the final season ended. But once the Katsuya and Kyoko story got going, man was it good, the way they met was definitely an interesting one and I also didn’t expect an age gap relationship but it worked really well, I teared up many times besides the part I cried lol.

Much like the contents of the movie itself, it was bittersweet watching this, I was very happy to have Fruits Basket back, but now that I finished this movie there’s no more lol, but I’m very thankful for what we’ve got and I loved this movie, seeing Kyouko and Katsuya’s story brings so much more meaning to them in the show. Kyoko also had a lot of cute moments, loved seeing her change the more she was with Katsuya.

Fruits Basket is without a doubt an unforgettable series and this movie increased that feeling I already had, I truly loved it.
May 18, 2022 12:38 AM

May 2016
Didn't really need the recap lasting the 1st 1/3 of the movie, but the end with Tohru and Kyo was great!

Kyoko said it best when she asked Katsuya if he was a lolicon, lol!
"Genki is Life, Genki is Love"
May 19, 2022 6:12 AM

Nov 2020
Nurguburu said:
It's disrespectful towards the author and the fans to suggest a change due your subjective morals. Those fake fans are probably throwing a tantrum now.

I mean, the fantasy exists in the first place, and is so prevalent in shoujo, because it's amoral and taboo. That's what makes it exciting. I don't mind it coming from a female author, but it did make a couple scenes weird to watch with how young she was to start off, being in middle school.
May 25, 2022 1:08 AM

Oct 2015
Broken people trying to grasp any happiness in this forsaken world, only to be taken away again. It's up to you to dust yourself and find it again by finding the will to carry on.

I don't condone lolicon relationships, but this one gets my thumbs up because it kinda fitted the story well. The emotions were there and so was the chemistry that was not forced between. The only problem was the editing and the absence on the update of other characters. Other than that I enjoyed it big time.

8/10
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

May 29, 2022 2:21 PM

Mar 2018
Loved the recap, loved the prelude, and love this series.

So many uplifting moments, but just as many sad ones :-(; though, the ending with Kyo and Tohru was really nice.
May 31, 2022 2:00 PM

Jul 2015
I knew that half of the movie was a recap, so I wasn't expecting much from it, but come on, it's Fruits Basket...How can I not love it?

Glad to see my favorite characters back. They reminded me why this anime is my #1 of all time. I shed a few tears here and there, especially toward the ending

Natsuki_SanJuan said:
Darudius said:
Did they end up keeping kyoko and katsuyas ages the same as the manga or changing it up. Doesn't bother me personally but I'm curious as their ages in the manga was controversial for some I imagine.
Eh... the manga was published in 1990s, where people weren't sensitive. I don't think their story was controversial.

Lmao, this is so true
Jun 5, 2022 2:11 AM

Jun 2016
this movie is truely insane Holyy !!!

my feeling twisted watching this movie !!

i cant believe i a bit crying on this movie !!

tohrou mom's past is very emotional to watch !!
Jun 8, 2022 5:55 PM
Jul 2020
Very good!!! Now, I want to see Kyou x Tooru live.

Jun 28, 2022 5:44 PM

Feb 2019
Kyo and Tohru confession on the big screen with movie quality sound design.. oh my god we ate so good.Nah man when Katsuya grabbed kyoko and was like “this is the woman I’m gonna marry. I may need to contact you for the paperwork” omg the whole cinema lost it.

A lot of mfs complaining about it being mainly recap, but between the original scenes and getting the confessions on a big screen who gives a fuck? Like imagine complaining about watching peak again lol.

Was not a dry eye in the cinema after. Really sad that it’s over but what an amazing ride it’s been.
Jun 28, 2022 11:48 PM
Sep 2018
I just watched the movie in theater and I loved it! I personally didn't mind the recap, it has been a while since I watched/read the anime/manga, so a refresh was good to get my tears ready lol. I was so happy to finally watch this story animated(been waiting too long for this!) also the movie has some of my favourite VA, Yoshimasa Hosoya and Yuma Uchida are always delightful to listen to!

But man I guess not so many people in the audience knew about the age difference between Katsuya and Kyoko... I get it can be controversial at this time/era, but it was really annoying having teenagers making puke sounds and saying at loud how creepy/illegal is this for them while the movie was still going...

I hope that peeps that have issues with this topic avoid watching the movie(or at very least complain when the movie is over...)

I will try to watch the movie once again and hopefully, I can have a better movie experience.
Jul 12, 2022 10:24 AM

Nov 2007
tsubasaloverJul 12, 2022 10:30 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jul 17, 2022 5:05 PM

Jul 2012
FINALLY got to watch it online, streamed (((': and it was SO GOOOOOD. Tears were shed ((((': So nice to see the story of her parents and the little tidbit at the end of Tohru and Kyo!
Aug 6, 2022 7:31 AM

Feb 2019
That was beautiful. Simply beautiful. I don't have a lot of words for it, but lately I've come to realise that means I'm speechless because of how great my experience was.

I hope Tohru knows that story, the story of how her parents met, the struggles they had before and during their marriage, and how it all led to her. Tohru had some really great parents. She was surrounded by love while they were with her, and even afterwards.

Also, baby Tohru is so cute ^^

Katsuya's dad is awesome. I guess he wasn't as awesome when he was younger, but it's really great to see him again. He was Tohru's only blood family left that loved her, cared for her.

A 9/10, rating not including the recap at the front which I found unnecessary but others might need it. Although, I admit it might've increased how happy I felt by the end of the movie ^^

Simply amazing. Hope to see more Fruits Basket content even though that's a long shot ;-;

You did good, Kyoko. You have one amazing daughter, and she's going to have a happy life.
Aug 19, 2022 5:36 PM

Feb 2017
40 minute recap at the beginning. sigh.

feel like i should have just skipped this movie completely because my disappointment continued through past the recap. i'll boil it down to my main complaints: (1) a relationship between a child and an adult (2) katsuya could have been a student in the same grade as kyoko and i think at least 97% of the story would have been exactly the same (3) me having to realize that a grown man got this child pregananant (4) literally every character is forced to have a tragic backstory like its the who has the worst parents olympics

ending was depressing. what like 5 or so minutes of kyo and tohru's new life together except they're what like 1 year post-graduation? this coupled with the fact that they were shown like 60 years in the future at the end of the final season is just flat out depressing. like that's it? i don't really feel like reading another - i don't even know what it's about, just assuming that it may show more of kyo + tohru. i am just disappointed at the complete lack of story after they move away and start their life together.

placeholder text
Aug 27, 2022 5:46 AM

Jun 2021
Didn't expected this movie to be this good....
Haven't found a good anime dialogue to copy yet!!
Aug 29, 2022 9:21 PM
Jun 2021
sugoi sugimasuuu
Sep 2, 2022 3:04 PM
Mar 2021
I balled my eyes out, it's so good but so tragic
Sep 11, 2022 12:53 AM
Dec 2020
1/3rd of the movie was just a recap
This movie was rather disappointing past the recap(not saying that it wasn't good, it's just that I had high expectations)
We got like only 5 minute post-S3 content
For me it's a 6.5/10
Sep 26, 2022 10:14 AM

May 2020
Recap part at the beginning was good but movie didn't include much time for mother and father relationship. I would rather get 30mins more time for the relationship and focus on the hard times of kyouko has been through. This could have been the best mother and child movie i have ever seen but the new content was too short. I was expecting that it would surpass wolf children movie :(

7.5 / 10 for me
Oct 6, 2022 1:07 PM

May 2020
this was such a good movie
I had been waiting to watch this for so long
it finally came out on Crunchyroll and other websites and I watched it as soon as I could

it was really nice getting to see the cast again
I had forgotten how much I loved fruits basket
I feel like the final season is a masterpiece
Katsuya and Kyoko's story was amazing and heartbreaking
very sad that this is the end of the reboot of furuba

this was a solid 9/10

Oct 8, 2022 9:50 PM

Apr 2015
Stupid Furuba series making me cry again ç.ç that epilogue end with adult Tohru and Kyo was so cute.

I already felt sad about Kyoko during all the main series, but holy fuck, her life is so heartbreaking, i know she had a lot of happy moments, but the way she dies feels so suddenly the same for Katsuya. Also another amazing job from Miyuki Sawashiro;

i will give a 9/10 because i felt the 35 minutes of recap was a little too much.
Oct 13, 2022 3:49 PM

Jul 2012
Kyoko, Kyo and Tohru all had such tragic childhoods. But you can see the parallelism between Kyoko and Kyo. Maybe that's why Kyoko was drawn to him on the day they met, when Kyo opened up to her about his parents. Despite their sorrow and loneliness, Kyoko was able to find happiness with Katsuya. And now, Kyo with Tohru. I'd like to imagine that Kyoko and Katsuya are now together somewhere smiling down upon them.
Oct 18, 2022 8:00 PM
Jan 2017
THIS! Thiiis is what the final season shouldve been. if they just added in a happy end of teh soumas coming to terms w/ breaking the curse and looking ahead to changes for an extra hour ontop of this film then this wouldve been the perfect finale ^w^
Overall I loooove this whole movie being about kyoko and briefly touching on Tooru X Kiyo. because frankly the best part of the final season of Fruits Basket was Kiyo reminscing about how he met Kyoko back when he was little. and while this was sad in most parts I feel the drama isnt as dragged on as the last season's drama was so I gotta give this a 7/10 looooved it~
Nov 5, 2022 2:46 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Great surprise, although at first it seemed like a summary, then the movie appeared, and although it was short, I have enjoyed it a lot. Dramatic and tender.

7/10 and tears out kekeke
Nov 16, 2022 9:23 PM

Oct 2012
saw it with my gf just now. if you put the 27+ mins if re-cap its a great movie. Man Tohru was so bad before she met Kaysuya.

I wish it went beyond kyo and tohru having a moment. wanted to see everyone how their lives are. wanted to see that actual see off that never happened

I hope Fruitsbasket another gets aniamted one day cuz i cant read the manga online its not all Fully TL'd.

And maybe we'll get spin off or just wishful thinking. Each zodiac member and their partner could have their own little season/ ova series.

Good Bye FB for now. maybe one day ill re-watch it again. Just cant handle the emotions at times lol
Nov 21, 2022 1:25 PM
May 2022
so funny when they died😂😂😂
Dec 14, 2022 9:34 AM

Nov 2018
one of the most captivating and inspiring pieces of media i've ever experienced
Jan 1, 2023 12:13 AM

Dec 2012
Nothing like kicking a new year off by crying my heart out in the first hour.  The recap was actually incredibly well done and helped emphasize the most essential feelings to bridge together that shared sentiment between Kyo & Kyoko - of losing their way and finding it again through their bond to Tohru.  While the epilogue was shorter than I'd expected, it was still so heartwarming & sweet.  Loved it when Tohru started circling around Kyo and making that aggressive happy face at him.  Favorite part was seeing their wedding rings.

I knew Kyoko's backstory would resonate the most.  Her quotes & various words of wisdom in the main series really cut deep and made me confront some of my own vulnerabilities.  This movie in particular stirred up some of my most personal traumas and true to Furuba form, felt like it was speaking directly to me.  I had to stop for nearly 10 mins at the point when Kyoko had broken down after losing Katsuya.  I couldn't take seeing her so lifeless & broken.

It's a constant tug of war between suffering & healing, but I find this movie ultimately heartwarming because it shows how Kyoko & Kyo's journeys lead Tohru to a lifetime of happiness.  It's encouraged me to keep struggling through the hard times instead of hitting rock bottom and letting the despair consume me again.

10/10.

3/31: After watching this again, that part about not choosing to be born really slammed me. It reminds me of when Tohru tells Kyoko that she was born to meet her. It makes the salvation Kyoko finds through living for Tohru all the sweeter.
ZekkenshinMar 31, 2023 6:46 PM
Jan 1, 2023 11:40 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Just watching this movie reminded me of how special this series is. I'm seeing a lot of mixed reception from above which makes a lot of sense since that's what the age gap almost always creates, and I'm glad to say that I'm definitely on the brighter side of this conversation. If a movie/series can invoke tears, you know it hit you and Furuba really has got that base covered in particular. 

First 33 minutes - In many ways, it was unnecessary, kind of long and perhaps a tad bit too dramatic. But, it set the mood pretty well, imo. And I can't lie, it did brush up on some plot points which I forgot or couldn't fully recall. For that reason, I think I'd give it an overall good evaluation. Hey, they sort of carried on the whole message during the accident scene to the next section so there was some sort of transition or justification (if you want to call it that), so I can live with it xD. 

As for the remaining section of the movie, that was what made this shine. An obvious issue was, as mentioned earlier, the age of the characters. Katsuya-san falling for a middle-school girl despite being an act-in-teacher just for being honest and open about her stance which he could relate to honestly leaves a lot in the air as to how viewers are to receive that. Personally, I'm often more interested in the post matter of things and delinquent relationships are not a common subject that is covered in the anime industry anymore, so I was particularly more excited about that. And, on that note, I didn't have much to complain about at all. Maybe just the fact that it was too short but I'm guessing it was just about the same length in the original source, so technically there's no helping that. 

Katsuya-san barging into Kyouko-san's place and declaring marriage like that was such a chad move. It's cheesy but it's the kind of Shoujo troupe that I feel is missing from modern-day romance tales. No homo, but you know, a heart tug or two, definitely helps the experience, lmao. Another scene that really left an impression was the whole scene depicting Kyouko-san's struggle to accept his death and the moment she realised how she'd been neglecting the needs of Tohru. Seeing Tohru in front of the door like that and being elated after finally receiving a nod from her mother was just the sweetest thing ever. No wonder why that moment is so special for Kyouko-san; remind me if I'm wrong but during one of her first meetings with Kyo in the tv series, there was a flashback of her recalling back to that image of Tohru in front of the door half asleep, right? I seem to remember something like this and it hit me a little harder because of that. 

Anyways, as a whole though, I think the movie had a phase that was good and the other phase where it was excellent. If this is the last Furuba anime material we're to get, I'm honestly more than satisfied. Taking all these into consideration, I think a solid 8/10 is perfect. Maybe a 9/10 on sentimental or better days, but an 8/10 in a state where I'm as objective as possible.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jan 4, 2023 7:39 PM

Jul 2016
No shit. Katsuya died from that well-known virus.

In retrospective, I'm honestly glad these chapters weren't included in the main series. Ignoring the fact that Katsuya approached Kyouko in the same way a groomer would do, his character ended up being incredibly bland and the whole romance aspect felt too "shoujo" for my taste. You know, being taboo for the sake of being taboo while avoiding giving a proper explanation or "reasoning" as for why a grown-up man would want to marry a middle-schooler.

But well. Leaving that aside, there were still some aspects I really liked about this movie such as the portrayal of Kyouko's whole struggle before and after Katsuya and the bits of Kyou x Tohru at the end were also quite enjoyable to witness.

6/10 - So Kyouko got pregnant at the age of 15, it seems. Huh...
Jan 30, 2023 5:14 PM

Jul 2022
I no longer know what to write since in the end it is the end of everything. Only that all Fruits Basket has far exceeded my expectations, I would put it in the top.
Feb 8, 2023 7:34 AM

Jul 2015
The romance may be a touchy subject due to the age difference and student-teacher dynamic (which one should take into account the time the story was written) but still Tohru's parents emotional backstory was a great addition to the already fantastic series.

Feb 20, 2023 7:09 PM
Jan 2023
This movie means so much to me and this anime will forever be in my heart :)
Mar 15, 2023 12:49 PM

Nov 2021
Finally watched it!

The 30 min recap was unneeded. After hearing a lot of praise for the movie I had high expectations from it but ngl I'm kind of disappointed. The movie doesn't really explain much about Katsuya's character and not to mention the "average fruits basket bad parents story", It became predictable and the writing feels weak as compared to the series.

Still, I enjoyed some parts of it, especially Kyoko's character(I love her) and the ending of the movie was very nice. I think the hardcore fans of Fruits basket will definitely enjoy this.

My overall rating is 6 or 7/10.
Mar 29, 2023 12:11 PM
May 2020
I wish the story directly engaged with the age/power gap issue re: Kyoko and Katsuya -- it feels like a huge misstep to leave it as subtext. In not grappling with the student/teacher dynamic head-on, that one element looms over their every interaction and makes this romance hard to perceive as anything other than...yikes. I personally accept their story because it's a fictional relationship between two characters that have been failed by other people at every turn, but I also know it could have been handled a lot better.
Mar 29, 2023 11:24 PM
Oct 2022
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah tohru and kyo sre so cute togetehr at the end aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah
Apr 3, 2023 4:02 AM
Aug 2022
Man!!!! This anime & movie made me cry I actually watched this movie on 31st August 2022 at 14:25 Hrs IST.
Now I just remembered some scenes if this movie and watched again today in DUB.
I really love this anime and movie a lot.
hope to see these types of masterpieces.
Apr 13, 2023 2:12 PM
Jun 2016
The only good part about this episode for me was the married life of Tohru and Kyo
May 9, 2023 12:22 PM
Dec 2014
It was a great movie and a fitting finale
😢sayounara Fruits Basket😢
May 18, 2023 5:54 PM
Oct 2018
im crying for 1000 years
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» [MINOR SPOILERS AHEAD] As much as I adore and respect Fruba's author, the way she handled the Kyoko & Katsuya relationship made me very disappointed for a reason that is important to bring up ( 1 2 )

Rojaseb - Jun 29, 2021

82 by PrinceLied »»
Oct 30, 2023 6:32 AM

» Coming to Crunchyroll on October 6th

Homura24 - Sep 30, 2022

4 by Yui_Suzumiya69 »»
Jan 3, 2023 1:03 PM

» Box Office

AnIFoRLiFe - Apr 7, 2022

2 by TARIQ344 »»
Dec 17, 2022 11:29 PM

» Ending Theme

naphoon - Oct 7, 2022

7 by XYanderex »»
Oct 8, 2022 12:31 PM

» More recap than actual new content

Grumar - Jun 25, 2022

9 by Grumar »»
Aug 11, 2022 11:15 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.