Forum Settings
Forums

Japan will now punish you for saying mean things.

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 23, 2021 12:44 PM

Apr 2015
Missleading title if anything. I get it's fun to make it sound like we live in some dystopian world, but even when this law has been on place for some time now (and similar law in other East Asian countries) we haven't heard every dumb Japanese person getting fined over some angry message in yahoo. Like Hana Kimura before her suicide had hate messages from some 200 users on her social media accounts, but only one man got fined for his messages that police saw as malicious in intent. Since some of his comments to Hana included things like wishing her to be dead and prompting her to kill herself.

Personally wish instead of punishing cyberbullying, governments spent some little more money and effort on mental health support and worked on preventing school and workplace bullying.
konkeloOct 23, 2021 1:07 PM
Oct 23, 2021 3:39 PM

Jun 2019
SadMadoka said:
Meusnier said:
That certainly seems slightly stupid, but certainly not as much as those who defend free speech for free speech.

It's not stupid to defend the right of people to be free from state-sanctioned violence and imprisonment for expressing their thoughts.

Countless people died to protect freedom of speech in my country, and I will not dishonor their sacrifice.

Oddly enough, those always have dubious things to say. Most people should not be allowed to spread stupidity on twitter by the way. Especially influential fools like "actors" (ha) and "singers" (hum).

So you want it to be a crime to "spread stupidity"?

The Internet is rife with it, so you would effectively be turning a significant percentage of literally everyone into criminals.

If you merely meant Twitter banning users or whatever, they already do that.

Not really. If you know that those people are unwell or have mental health issues, you would be directly responsible.

If someone was directly responsible for someone dying, that would be murder. Insulting someone is not remotely close to that.

It does not seem that you have been thinking a lot about the mechanisms that lead one to take his life. Do not be the droplet of water that make the jar of sorrow overflow.

It's obvious that suicidal people are mentally unwell.

So what? I am not responsible for how anyone reacts to my words, and I am under no obligation to babysit anyone.

Their actions are their own responsibility, regardless of circumstances. No one forced them to die.

If a proverbial droplet is all it would take, any number of things (and people who interacted with that person) could also be blamed.

(It's not like I would try to get anyone to kill themselves, anyway. When I say I/me, I am speaking generally to convey the principle of the matter.)

Moral harassment is a crime in many a country.

What exactly is "moral harassment"?

All sorts of absurd things are a crime in many countries. That does not mean they should be.

This is difficult to reply when things are atomised this way...

It's not stupid to defend the right of people to be free from state-sanctioned violence and imprisonment for expressing their thoughts.

Countless people died to protect freedom of speech in my country, and I will not dishonor their sacrifice.

I will not defend the right of people to say that the gas chambers did not exist (cf. the Gayssot Law in France). Pick your battles more carefully.

... Indelicate patriotism and non-argument. Countless people might have died to protect the 2nd Amendment, and many more died because of it. Either way, that many died for a cause does not make it justifiable or "honourable."

So you want it to be a crime to "spread stupidity"?

The Internet is rife with it, so you would effectively be turning a significant percentage of literally everyone into criminals.

If you merely meant Twitter banning users or whatever, they already do that.

Yes, exactly! Spreading conspiracy theory would become a crime (Nabe's Dream), but I would prefer to favour the dismantlement of Twitter and its likes or at least restrict the use of this website to non-politicians, non-journalists, etc and make rules that prevent Paul the butcher and Peter the baker from expressing their views about Middle East politics.

This is fine in my books. You are not allowed to speak if you read none (you are allowed to read books that are not in my bookshelves though, but if you only read 1984 and Harry Potter in your life, go back planting salads).

Not enough clearly.

If someone was directly responsible for someone dying, that would be murder. Insulting someone is not remotely close to that.

True, but see the following.

It's obvious that suicidal people are mentally unwell.

So what? I am not responsible for how anyone reacts to my words, and I am under no obligation to babysit anyone.

Their actions are their own responsibility, regardless of circumstances. No one forced them to die.

If a proverbial droplet is all it would take, any number of things (and people who interacted with that person) could also be blamed.

(It's not like I would try to get anyone to kill themselves, anyway. When I say I/me, I am speaking generally to convey the principle of the matter.)

I did not claim otherwise.

You are never safe from mental health issues, this is why the legal notion of moral harrassment exists. If a PI in Academia keeps asking you to work at night, leaves you little time to rest, prevents you from taking holidays, says that you are worthless, and that you end up killing yourself, they are causally and penally responsible for that.

This is a simplistic take on human psychology. No man can mentally seclude himself from outer influences, and if not penally responsible in some countries, you are morally responsible for pushing people in the wrong direction. I would be curious how you felt if you told someone (not necessarily a friend) in pain to kill themselves and that they actually end up doing it. Would you just think that they were stupid and wouldn't you feel some guilt?

Except that you can also be the one who poured oceans of bitterness before this final droplet.

(Phew! Thank you for the precision, the "you" above in my reply is also a general one.)

What exactly is "moral harassment"?

All sorts of absurd things are a crime in many countries. That does not mean they should be.

Oh, that does not exist in American law? No wonder that people hate so much their jobs in this country. I gave an example above, and the official description is:

Article 222-33-2
Repeated acts having as their object or effect a deterioration of an employee’s working conditions likely to (i) infringe his rights or dignity, (ii) alter his physical or mental health, or (iii) compromise his promotion, are punished by two years of imprisonment and 30,000€ ($35,000 USD) of fine.

https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/codes/article_lc/LEGIARTI000029336939/

Then why shouldn't moral harassment be a felony? This is not as if all employees had the possibility to easily change of jobs without letting their children starve to death in the meantime. Especially in work cultures that worship performance and reduce people to a one-variable function, particular care should be exercised on the way people act at the work place.

Needless to say, moral harassment is not restricted to the workplace. Penalties are harsher for partners.

Article 222-33-2-1
Repeated acts having as their object or effect a deterioration of one's partner's life conditions likely to (i) infringe his rights or dignity, (ii) alter his physical or mental health, are punished by three years of imprisonment and 45,000€ ($52,000 USD) of fine.

[...]

The penalties are of 10 years of imprisonment and 15,000€ ($175,000 USD) when harassment lead the victim to kill herself or try to kill herself.

https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/codes/article_lc/LEGIARTI000042193490

Article 222-33-2-2
Repeated acts having as their object or effect a deterioration of someone's life conditions likely to (i) infringe his rights or dignity, (ii) alter his physical or mental health, are punished by two years of imprisonment and 15,000€ ($17,500 USD) of fine.

[...]

https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/codes/article_lc/LEGIARTI000037289658

Catalano said:
do they even have insults in their language? looks like a dumb law

B-baka, I did not want to go to prison when I called you baka!
Oct 23, 2021 5:38 PM

Aug 2014
Meusnier said:

I find it markedly more efficient to reply to specific points in this fashion.

I will not defend the right of people to say that the gas chambers did not exist (cf. the Gayssot Law in France).

Freedom of speech is everyone's natural right, whether you defend it or not, because their minds and bodies belong to them. You don't own their minds and you don't get to dictate what people think and feel, nor how they express it. (As long as it does not cause direct physical harm.)

Everyone has the right to be free from violence, theft and kidnapping (principally by the government) brought about by the expression of any thought.

Do you believe that you, as an individual, have the right to kidnap and imprison someone because they said something you didn't like? I'd hope not. And you cannot delegate a right (to the government) that you never had in the first place.

People will always have thoughts that do not coincide with your own. You need to come to terms with this.

There are exceptions that aren't protected under free speech, including defamation, true threats and so on.

Pick your battles more carefully.

What is this supposed to imply? That you're the final boss? heh...

... Indelicate patriotism and non-argument.

I acknowledge that what I mentioned is not an argument in itself.

Countless people might have died to protect the 2nd Amendment, and many more died because of it. Either way, that many died for a cause does not make it justifiable or "honourable."

Nice bait, but we are talking about speech, which the first amendment covers.

If you want to cite cases where people died as a result of free speech, feel free.

Yes, exactly! Spreading conspiracy theory would become a crime (Nabe's Dream), but I would prefer to favour the dismantlement of Twitter and its likes or at least restrict the use of this website to non-politicians, non-journalists, etc and make rules that prevent Paul the butcher and Peter the baker from expressing their views about Middle East politics.

Good luck with that, I guess. You'd never pull it off in the US or any other nation that values human rights.

This is fine in my books. You are not allowed to speak if you read none (you are allowed to read books that are not in my bookshelves though, but if you only read 1984 and Harry Potter in your life, go back planting salads).

Such elitism... It is beyond ridiculous to say that people who do not read lots of books shouldn't be allowed to speak.

Even if you were to somehow take over the Internet, how would you verify which people read which books?

Not enough clearly.

If you are arguing that your positions are the valid ones, then you can respond to those you disagree with rather than attempting to censor them. Silencing the opposition doesn't lend you any credibility.

I did not claim otherwise.

You appear to have misread. The next line was a continuation of the first one.

You are never safe from mental health issues, this is why the legal notion of moral harrassment exists.

While external factors certainly exist, I am still responsible for my own mental health.

So many people are just looking to point the finger at anyone but themselves...

If a PI in Academia keeps asking you to work at night, leaves you little time to rest, prevents you from taking holidays, says that you are worthless, and that you end up killing yourself, they are causally and penally responsible for that.

If someone tried to pull that crap on me, I would stop working for them. (Then again, I made the decision long ago to never work for anyone else again.)

If someone in that position decided to kill themselves, that would be their own fault for being such an irrational fool that they couldn't even try anything to end the abuse.

You cited laws that provide recourse for such situations. There is also the option to report misconduct to the relevant authorities before things end so badly. You can press criminal and/or civil charges, when applicable. Or you could try talking things out with everyone at the workplace.

And you can quit your damn job if you're not satisfied with it.

Not safe enough to quit? Well then...maybe capitalism isn't as life-affirming as some believe.

This is a simplistic take on human psychology. No man can mentally seclude himself from outer influences, and if not penally responsible in some countries, you are morally responsible for pushing people in the wrong direction. I would be curious how you felt if you told someone (not necessarily a friend) in pain to kill themselves and that they actually end up doing it. Would you just think that they were stupid and wouldn't you feel some guilt?

If the issue is whether they are being "pushed in the wrong direction"...then so many things and people could be blamed. In many instances, all this is too ambiguous to be meaningful. Of course, if you outright told someone to kill themselves, that is more clear-cut...but at the end of the day, speech is not murder.

I'm not the type of person to kick someone when they're down. If I knew they were suffering and they did nothing to harm me, I would have no reason to lash out at them.

I would normally never tell someone to kill themselves...but if I did, it would be someone who was obnoxiously cocky and saying more than a few things I strongly morally disagree with. Arrogant people (such as myself, admittedly) seem to be less likely to be suicidal, after all. If someone told me to kill myself, I would just laugh at them.

On the other hand, it can be hard to tell sometimes. One of my friends hung himself on Halloween 2004. I was joking around with him the night before and had no idea he felt that way. I felt an empty sucking feeling for weeks, because it was just so surreal and unexpected. I had nothing to do with his suicide...but if I did, I'm sure I would feel guilty.

Oh, that does not exist in American law?

First amendment, remember?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

No wonder that people hate so much their jobs in this country.

Like I said, if you hate your job, quit and find another one. No one's forcing you to work there.

I gave an example above, and the official description is:

Article 222-33-2
Repeated acts having as their object or effect a deterioration of an employee’s working conditions likely to (i) infringe his rights or dignity, (ii) alter his physical or mental health, or (iii) compromise his promotion, are punished by two years of imprisonment and 30,000€ ($35,000 USD) of fine.

Then why shouldn't moral harassment be a felony? This is not as if all employees had the possibility to easily change of jobs without letting their children starve to death in the meantime. Especially in work cultures that worship performance and reduce people to a one-variable function, particular care should be exercised on the way people act at the work place.

Needless to say, moral harassment is not restricted to the workplace. Penalties are harsher for partners.

Article 222-33-2-1
Repeated acts having as their object or effect a deterioration of one's partner's life conditions likely to (i) infringe his rights or dignity, (ii) alter his physical or mental health, are punished by three years of imprisonment and 45,000€ ($52,000 USD) of fine.

[...]

The penalties are of 10 years of imprisonment and 15,000€ ($175,000 USD) when harassment lead the victim to kill herself or try to kill herself.

Article 222-33-2-2
Repeated acts having as their object or effect a deterioration of someone's life conditions likely to (i) infringe his rights or dignity, (ii) alter his physical or mental health, are punished by two years of imprisonment and 15,000€ ($17,500 USD) of fine.

[...]

Those are so incredibly vague it's horrifying.

Just about anything can affect one's mental health. Even compliments can be construed as insults.

So let me get this straight...if you are living with a romantic partner and you insult them (which is all it takes to alter someone's mental health, infringe their dignity and whatever other bullcrap you want to come up with)...you can go to prison for three years and be fined over $50,000 USD?!

Man, I sure am glad I don't live in a police state.

I did a Google search for moral harassment. Here's one definition I found:

"any abusive conduct—whether by words, looks, gestures, or in writing—that [through repetition or systematization] infringes upon the personality, the dignity, or the physical or psychical integrity of a person; also, behavior that endangers the employment of said person or degrades the climate of the workplace."

So practically anything. No one is safe. lmfao

Grow up and stop being whiny little bitches. That's all I have to say about people who support these laughable nanny state laws.
SmugSatokoOct 23, 2021 7:37 PM
Oct 24, 2021 1:08 AM
Nov 2014
good, cyberbullying is a serious issue and since it can cause suicides its definitely a criminal offense.
Oct 24, 2021 1:36 AM

Dec 2016
Lol. This is what happens when you let closed panels make law. Next up on the agenda, not opening up your bank account constitutes emotional abuse due to withholding financial assets causing emotional and physical deprivation. I would love to take a look at the demographics breakdown of this advisory panel. I still remember when they formed a coalition to stop that notorious serial dater.

https://www.kiro7.com/news/trending/japanese-man-arrested-after-serial-dating-35-women-scheme-get-birthday-presents-police-say/7IBMVWPAHJA3ZD3LAWLBFTGTRI/

You should play My Dystopian Robot Girlfriend adult game instead. With its eerie random keyword headline generator.
SoverignOct 24, 2021 1:45 AM
Oct 24, 2021 10:21 AM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
I can't believe people actually support these kinds of laws. Jesus Christ, if someone is being annoying, just turn off the computer, or block them. Stop asking the government to punish these people. Grow the fuck up.

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
Oct 24, 2021 12:02 PM
Jul 2018
MAL has an obligation to enforcement these new laws on this site. The weebs demand it.
Oct 24, 2021 12:49 PM

Aug 2009
Mirai said:
Some guy in Germany already got the police knocking on his door because he called a politician a penis so guess this is the future.

Thats what the hate speech laws are for. They are not really there to stop you from calling someone a fag or the n-word. They are there so you can't talk bad about the politicians and other elites. And stupid people will go along with these anti-free speech laws because they think its worth losing free speech to protect their side's feelings. Just like back then when inbred kings would punish those who talked bad about them.
Oct 24, 2021 4:01 PM

Jun 2019
SadMadoka said:
Meusnier said:

I find it markedly more efficient to reply to specific points in this fashion.

On the complaints chapter, jumping to the next line after every single phrase is also quite tiring.

I will not defend the right of people to say that the gas chambers did not exist (cf. the Gayssot Law in France).

Freedom of speech is everyone's natural right, whether you defend it or not, because their minds and bodies belong to them. You don't own their minds and you don't get to dictate what people think and feel, nor how they express it. (As long as it does not cause direct physical harm.)

Everyone has the right to be free from violence, theft and kidnapping (principally by the government) brought about by the expression of any thought.

Do you believe that you, as an individual, have the right to kidnap and imprison someone because they said something you didn't like? I'd hope not. And you cannot delegate a right (to the government) that you never had in the first place.

Restricting freedom of speech does not mean that you deny that their "minds and bodies belong to them" (sic). I have no idea how that relates to anything. You said it yourself, there are limits to free speech like defamation, but it does not restrict to this alone of course, and defamation only shows the need to put some limits to what people can say in public. Rest assured, I do not plan to put cameras in people's houses to see what they think. And seeing the disgusting rise of conspiracy theorists born out of social media, it is now clear that the restriction of free speech needs to be expanded vigorously. Enough of people who abuse of the stupidity of self-styled dissidents and Sunday afternoon libertarians.

Besides, you live in the U.S.A., a country where the r*** concept of slurs exists (yes, I used the previous word on purpose, and this is probably the first time that I use this word on MAL...) and saying the XYZ-word can make you lose your job and at this very moment, all the so-called liberals will all cry like one man: "Do stupid things, earn stupid prizes!" You think that you have the freedom of speech, but you only have the government of opinion so feared by Stendhal and that effectively came to Europe for our greatest dismay, and on top of this, mob justice is the new warrant of what is acceptable to say or not. As an American told Rebatet, "What people in Europe don't understand is that democracy, you need to deserve it," and likewise, we do not deserve free speech any more.

"Violence and kidnapping"? No, simple bans from some platforms, that is all. I am not a communist for believing that the crime of opinion exists.

People will always have thoughts that do not coincide with your own. You need to come to terms with this.

There are exceptions that aren't protected under free speech, including defamation, true threats and so on.

Yes, I need to send them to reeducation camps if school failed at teaching them basic statistics.

Pick your battles more carefully.

What is this supposed to imply? That you're the final boss? heh...

Impressive reading comprehension, I meant that you should not fight to have Faurisson say that the Holocaust did not happen and Meyssan say that the CIA organised the 9/11 attacks. It seems that you got misled by your judgment on my so-called elitism.

The apocryphal phrase attributed to Voltaire: "I do not share your ideas, but I am a ready to give my life so that you can express them!" loses all meaning when groups of people advocate for your extermination.

... Indelicate patriotism and non-argument.

I acknowledge that what I mentioned is not an argument in itself.

Moving on, then.

Countless people might have died to protect the 2nd Amendment, and many more died because of it. Either way, that many died for a cause does not make it justifiable or "honourable."

Nice bait, but we are talking about speech, which the first amendment covers.

If you want to cite cases where people died as a result of free speech, feel free.

No bait in my reply, only wit.

It is true that social media are completely independent of the worldwide anti-vaccine movements, the delusions of certain people with pizza restaurants and the delirium of others about "rigged" elections who think that it is of good taste to march on the Parliament.

Good luck with that, I guess. You'd never pull it off in the US or any other nation that values human rights.

Thank you for the nice comedic moment. The United States of America (ha ha) value human rights now?

They do not even value human life: 50,000 civilian deaths in Afghanistan only...

https://apnews.com/article/middle-east-business-afghanistan-43d8f53b35e80ec18c130cd683e1a38f

Remember about the promises of victory with "minimal casualties"?

American only value the life of American soldiers, have you listened to the last speeches of Biden on Afghanistan? This old fellow thinks that he is the envoy of God and has a divine mission.

The West should stop using words like "human rights" that they neither value in other countries or in their own ones.

Such elitism... It is beyond ridiculous to say that people who do not read lots of books shouldn't be allowed to speak.

Even if you were to somehow take over the Internet, how would you verify which people read which books?

I am not really impressed by those accusations of elitism, since a peasant can be well-read (as Courier was), I do not believe that education is reserved to a social elite (which is often simply forcing itself to consume "culture" as they consume cancer medicine), quite the contrary. If your opinion is only shaped by mainstream media, its value is nil.

I would simply dismantle Twitter and all such websites.

Not enough clearly.

If you are arguing that your positions are the valid ones, then you can respond to those you disagree with rather than attempting to censor them. Silencing the opposition doesn't lend you any credibility.

If you had read Nietzsche more carefully, you would have remembered that the strong must be protected against the weak, for the lion cannot win against the swarm of flies. Here, I have genuinely tried to argue with Flat Earthers, and it was impossible in the end for such people simply dismiss anything that goes against their opinions. The Covid anti-believers, those who think that Moon Landing did not happen or that Sarkozy planned terrorist attacks to be re-elected should be considered like lunatics and silenced for good (not killed, let me fuel a little their paranoia). Have a look at basically any video on 9/11 to see that the enormous majority believes that it was an inside job (the Pentagon videos are the best for that). How do you plan to fight against that? There is no time arguing with people who will never listen. Something must be done to replace the cult of the Supreme Being, also known as the cult of the Dollar, by the cult of the Truth!

You are never safe from mental health issues, this is why the legal notion of moral harrassment exists.

While external factors certainly exist, I am still responsible for my own mental health.

So many people are just looking to point the finger at anyone but themselves...

Perhaps, but this is not as if you had always the possibility to subtract yourself from your environment...

If a PI in Academia keeps asking you to work at night, leaves you little time to rest, prevents you from taking holidays, says that you are worthless, and that you end up killing yourself, they are causally and penally responsible for that.

If someone tried to pull that crap on me, I would stop working for them. (Then again, I made the decision long ago to never work for anyone else again.)

If someone in that position decided to kill themselves, that would be their own fault for being such an irrational fool that they couldn't even try anything to end the abuse.

You cited laws that provide recourse for such situations. There is also the option to report misconduct to the relevant authorities before things end so badly. You can press criminal and/or civil charges, when applicable. Or you could try talking things out with everyone at the workplace.

And you can quit your damn job if you're not satisfied with it.

Not safe enough to quit? Well then...maybe capitalism isn't as life-affirming as some believe.

Perhaps you can, but most people cannot leave their job that easily. For example, in Japan, it is not a good idea to leave your job a few months after you get recruited, or you might have a lot of issues finding a job again.

This is correct, there are possibilities of recourse, but they are typically long-winded and can take a lot of time.

Capitalism is life-affirming now? I had never heard about this joke before. If you spend 8 hours by day sat on a desk counting piles of deaths or piles of money, you are not living.

If the issue is whether they are being "pushed in the wrong direction"...then so many things and people could be blamed. In many instances, all this is too ambiguous to be meaningful. Of course, if you outright told someone to kill themselves, that is more clear-cut...but at the end of the day, speech is not murder.

I'm not the type of person to kick someone when they're down. If I knew they were suffering and they did nothing to harm me, I would have no reason to lash out at them.

I would normally never tell someone to kill themselves...but if I did, it would be someone who was obnoxiously cocky and saying more than a few things I strongly morally disagree with. Arrogant people (such as myself, admittedly) seem to be less likely to be suicidal, after all. If someone told me to kill myself, I would just laugh at them.

On the other hand, it can be hard to tell sometimes. One of my friends hung himself on Halloween 2004. I was joking around with him the night before and had no idea he felt that way. I felt an empty sucking feeling for weeks, because it was just so surreal and unexpected. I had nothing to do with his suicide...but if I did, I'm sure I would feel guilty.

Not much to add here, we agree that telling to a jerk to kill himself is rather irrelevant here since he loves himself too much for ever trying to attempt on his life.

Oh, that does not exist in American law?

First amendment, remember?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

Yes, I sadly do.

I gave an example above, and the official description is:

Those are so incredibly vague it's horrifying.

Just about anything can affect one's mental health. Even compliments can be construed as insults.

So let me get this straight...if you are living with a romantic partner and you insult them (which is all it takes to alter someone's mental health, infringe their dignity and whatever other bullcrap you want to come up with)...you can go to prison for three years and be fined over $50,000 USD?!

Man, I sure am glad I don't live in a police state.

I did a Google search for moral harassment. Here's one definition I found:

"any abusive conduct—whether by words, looks, gestures, or in writing—that [through repetition or systematization] infringes upon the personality, the dignity, or the physical or psychical integrity of a person; also, behavior that endangers the employment of said person or degrades the climate of the workplace."

So practically anything. No one is safe. lmfao

Grow up and stop being whiny little bitches. That's all I have to say about people who support these laughable nanny state laws.

Not really, it is quite hard to condemn someone for moral harassment, and people are presumed innocent in France. By the way, I am not sure that it was clear, but partner means married person or person engaged in a civil partnership, not just a romantic partner.

I hope that you noticed that I am not supporting this law in particular by the way.

SadMadoka said:
Thank you for calling the Assisted Suicide Hotline.

Or as we like to call it, ASH...named after what you'll be in due course. ^‿^

If you could take a brief survey after this call to rate our service, it would be much appreciated. ;)

This call may be monitored for seppuku assurance. Please wait while we transfer you to our next available agent.

Now...what seems to be the problem?

What are ya, scared?

I bet you couldn't blow your brains out if your life depended on it.

Or maybe you're already too braindead to figure out how to get things done.

Here's a tip: cliffs exist for a reason.

Guns? Rope? Pills? None o' that pussy shit.

All you need to do is move those legs. Might as well get some exercise on your final voyage.

Heck, if you've got a cell phone, you can start your journey now. I'll be right here with you, every step of the way. <3

Wait...you live in Florida? Oh dear...may Satan have mercy on your accursed soul.

Okay, okay...how about the ocean? You can take a "swim"...say hi to the sharks for me.

Whatever, though...I really don't care. It's your funeral.

I hope they cover the head. You know...so they don't have to look at your bitch-ass cunt face.

I wasn't going to attend...but maybe I will so I can bang your mom afterwards.

Oh...she's dead? Drat... Erm, on a totally unrelated note...do you have a sister? Perhaps I am gravely mistaken.

[Real talk: my mom and sister actually are dead. Dark humor can be therapeutic!]

You seem to need some inspiration, so let me tell you about a hero of our modern age: yours truly.

I mean, I'm so much better than you it's mind-boggling.

I am truth. I am destiny! I am JUSTICE!!!

I'm such a rockstar. And you? Not even a footnote in my autobiography.

I didn't catch your name, by the way...because I didn't ask for it.

A nobody like you is hardly worth the hassle of remembering.

So anyway...how has your day been? Scratch that. I meant my day. And I'll tell you.

First I woke up...and everything fell into place...all the joys that come with being the best. It's a me thing. You wouldn't get it.

But where are my manners? Back to you...

The one who's such a pathetic weakling that they literally called a phone number for the sole purpose of getting help offing themselves.

Just curious...why are you so offended by life? You do realize suffering is part of the deal, yes? Either revel in the chaos or fizzle out.

It's the law of nature, baby! The weak shall be food for the strong.

Now I'm hungry. I think I'll go for some pizza after we're done. I would share a slice, but...you know...

Are you seriously still here? You're really bad at this.

Oh well...it's to be expected. After all, if you're a failure at life, it stands to reason that you would be a failure at death.

I'll let you in on a little secret: your purpose in life is to serve me. No wonder you're so unhappy.

All those wasted years, and what have I gotten out of it? Dip-diddly-squat. Good job, ya bum.

But I'll tell you what... This is your last chance at redemption. Either be my bitch...or get the hell out of my world.

So what'll it be, chickadee? We don't have all night...I need to assist other callers.

Did I provide satisfactory service?

On a scale of fun to win, how would you rank my awesomeness?

...Sir? Hello? Hey, I think it worked this time. A round of beers, on the house!

That was really funny. But what I said does not apply to "literature" (hum!). Now, if you want to read something actually amusing, have a look at the following:

Right now, I have shot a bullet in my head. It had been too long since I wanted to do so, and some day I needed to.

At the East train station Armoury, the Uberti 22 Long Rifle with wooden stock is the only one one can buy without a licence: 2400 francs + 40 francs the box of 50 CCI Stinger 5/5mm.

I brought back the heavy, long and cold object home. I hid it in a drawer of my desk. The next day I took it out: it was the cow-boy colt I was dreaming about since my childhood in Marseille. Killing oneself, this is joining a precise moment of one's childhood.

I opened the barrel and placed the small golden suppository in the only free hole (the five others are blocked off). Clak! I armed the hammer and lied down on the bamboo bed. I placed the extremity of the cannon just overhead of my right temple, a little tilted on the top of the head (not in the mouth, it feigns fellatio...). And I pulled the trigger. The armourer had warned me: "Beware, it is very sensible..." "Not as much as me!"

First, the explosion is not heard. And the black is a pale blue. I killed myself to kill in my head the idea to kill myself that was dancing there.

A key! It is "her" with "him." They are coming back from the square of Absences where there is a big red toboggan. My son finds me in the room: he is disguised as Zorro today. He lifts a little the black wolf to see better. He still has his plastic sword in his hands. My son is gravely staring at me with his hazel eyes. His beautiful face of an emperor child has the same expression he had when he went out the operation room after he was removed the amygdala. It will clear his throat even more.

Zorro stays still, he does not cry. He only says: Mum. No one will never know if he is calling his mother or if this it me whom he calls Mum as it sometimes happened to him when I was caring about him like a mother.

Here she is! The Saint, the one who has suffered so much. I remember that recently, she was saying: "I don't know if you are doing well or bad." Now, she knows.

The pillow is not pretty to see. It is a wine-filled sponge. My brain has exploded to the shelves of my library. All the top of the skull was blown in a cranial carnage. I keep talking to myself while knowing that I am dead.

It is so easy to kill oneself. Thinking that I have waited thirty seven years to get rid of my existence! This is like a knight who has enough of fighting: he takes off his dented armour, and it collapses in a good noise of useless scrap metal.

Je suis mort, Marc-Édouard Nabe.
Oct 24, 2021 4:07 PM

Aug 2009
I just like the idea of Japan forcing people to wear ball gags, chastity belts and penis cages just for hurting another person's feelings.

Oooo! And tentacles! There has to be a tentacle related punishment as well!

Oct 24, 2021 6:10 PM

Aug 2014
Meusnier said:
On the complaints chapter, jumping to the next line after every single phrase is also quite tiring.

Oh.

Alright, then.

I'll be sure to store that in my memory banks for your edification. >:'D

Restricting freedom of speech does not mean that you deny that their "minds and bodies belong to them" (sic). I have no idea how that relates to anything.

A crucial element of having a mind is expressing your thoughts, ie speech.

When you threaten someone's freedom for their speech, you are depriving them of that.

Bottom line: people should be left alone as long as they have not violated the rights of others. (Of course, what constitutes rights has been debated for millennia...but in my opinion, speech rarely violates anyone's rights.)

You said it yourself, there are limits to free speech like defamation, but it does not restrict to this alone of course, and defamation only shows the need to put some limits to what people can say in public.

What limits should those be? Ah, the question of the ages...

Rest assured, I do not plan to put cameras in people's houses to see what they think.

Okay...but can I do it? Please show me how. For science. Yeah, that's it. hehe

And seeing the disgusting rise of conspiracy theorists born out of social media, it is now clear that the restriction of free speech needs to be expanded vigorously. Enough of people who abuse of the stupidity of self-styled dissidents and Sunday afternoon libertarians.

Does it really bother you that much that so many are irrational? Don't act like this is a recent development.

You can't stop conspiracy theories from propagating. They have always been there; they merely appear more prominent now thanks to rapid modern communication.

Since no one possesses perfect knowledge, we resort to speculation. It's part of being human.

Scientists may utilize more honest methodologies...but you can't blame the common man for wondering out loud.

Just because something is a conspiracy theory does not necessarily mean it is harmful or even untrue. Many turned out to be true.

Besides, you live in the U.S.A., a country where the r*** concept of slurs exists (yes, I used the previous word on purpose, and this is probably the first time that I use this word on MAL...) and saying the XYZ-word can make you lose your job and at this very moment, all the so-called liberals will all cry like one man: "Do stupid things, earn stupid prizes!" You think that you have the freedom of speech, but you only have the government of opinion so feared by Stendhal and that effectively came to Europe for our greatest dismay, and on top of this, mob justice is the new warrant of what is acceptable to say or not. As an American told Rebatet, "What people in Europe don't understand is that democracy, you need to deserve it," and likewise, we do not deserve free speech any more.

Free speech primarily concerns the government and what is criminal.

You can always get in trouble in the civil sphere for speech without it being a crime per se. This is nothing new.

"Violence and kidnapping"? No, simple bans from some platforms, that is all.

You said you wanted to make the spreading of conspiracy theories a crime.

What about Google and other search engines? They disseminate data, and conspiracy theories are not exempt from their digital proliferation.

I am not a communist for believing that the crime of opinion exists.

If there is no victim, there is no crime.

Yes, I need to send them to reeducation camps if school failed at teaching them basic statistics.

And what if they don't want to learn "basic" statistics? (Whatever those happen to be.)

I thought you were a scientist, not a politician. Looking for a career change?

Impressive reading comprehension,

Hey, you're the one who made such a cryptic statement.

I'm not a mind reader...but maybe I can become one with your special cameras! Show me the way, O sensei~

I meant that you should not fight to have Faurisson say that the Holocaust did not happen and Meyssan say that the CIA organised the 9/11 attacks. It seems that you got misled by your judgment on my so-called elitism.

You don't get to decide what I fight for. Sorry, sensei.

The apocryphal phrase attributed to Voltaire: "I do not share your ideas, but I am a ready to give my life so that you can express them!" loses all meaning when groups of people advocate for your extermination.

Plenty of people are savages and think the way you alluded to. There's no getting around that. Trying to silence them won't make such people disappear. We just need to be prepared to defend against future threats.

It is true that social media are completely independent of the worldwide anti-vaccine movements, the delusions of certain people with pizza restaurants and the delirium of others about "rigged" elections who think that it is of good taste to march on the Parliament.

What are you saying? That any attempt at resisting the mainstream narrative should be met with violence?

Thank you for the nice comedic moment. The United States of America (ha ha) value human rights now?

They do not even value human life: 50,000 civilian deaths in Afghanistan only...

https://apnews.com/article/middle-east-business-afghanistan-43d8f53b35e80ec18c130cd683e1a38f

Remember about the promises of victory with "minimal casualties"?

American only value the life of American soldiers, have you listened to the last speeches of Biden on Afghanistan? This old fellow thinks that he is the envoy of God and has a divine mission.

The West should stop using words like "human rights" that they neither value in other countries or in their own ones.

This is what we call low-hanging fruit. A predictable response...just bring up war to distract from the fact that the entire history of the US has been a battle for ever-greater human rights.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_the_United_States

Many US citizens oppose some (or all) wars. The US government and military does not represent the totality of the American people.

It's all relative. The US respects the rights of its citizens far more than most other nations in history.

The point is, we greatly value freedom of speech in my country and will not tolerate those who attempt to steal it away from us.

I am not really impressed by those accusations of elitism, since a peasant can be well-read (as Courier was), I do not believe that education is reserved to a social elite (which is often simply forcing itself to consume "culture" as they consume cancer medicine), quite the contrary.

What you said is, "You are not allowed to speak [...]"

I find it ironic that you fail to see how elitist it is to only allow particularly literate people to speak.

Perhaps I shouldn't have taken these words at face value? Do you (or don't you) want to prevent anyone who has not read X number of books from speaking at all? I could assume from your next statement that it could be only in the context of specific websites...but history shows that assumptions can be deadly.

Regardless, you have not made it clear what your intention is, nor how you mean to implement it.

If your opinion is only shaped by mainstream media, its value is nil.

Books and media are not the only things that can shape opinions. There is such a thing as life experience.

I would simply dismantle Twitter and all such websites.

How?

And how would wiping out certain sites avert the catastrophe of poorly read individuals stating their opinions online?

If you had read Nietzsche more carefully, you would have remembered that the strong must be protected against the weak, for the lion cannot win against the swarm of flies. Here, I have genuinely tried to argue with Flat Earthers, and it was impossible in the end for such people simply dismiss anything that goes against their opinions. The Covid anti-believers, those who think that Moon Landing did not happen or that Sarkozy planned terrorist attacks to be re-elected should be considered like lunatics and silenced for good (not killed, let me fuel a little their paranoia). Have a look at basically any video on 9/11 to see that the enormous majority believes that it was an inside job (the Pentagon videos are the best for that). How do you plan to fight against that? There is no time arguing with people who will never listen. Something must be done to replace the cult of the Supreme Being, also known as the cult of the Dollar, by the cult of the Truth!

What must be done exactly? How will this plan of yours defeat all these unsubstantiated beliefs?

I do think education is important...but it can only go so far.

Perhaps you can, but most people cannot leave their job that easily. For example, in Japan, it is not a good idea to leave your job a few months after you get recruited, or you might have a lot of issues finding a job again.

This is correct, there are possibilities of recourse, but they are typically long-winded and can take a lot of time.

What, then, is your favored course of action in this eventhood of an overbearing boss?

Capitalism is life-affirming now? I had never heard about this joke before. If you spend 8 hours by day sat on a desk counting piles of deaths or piles of money, you are not living.

Whoa now. Take a closer look. I was clearly insinuating that capitalism is not life-affirming.

Yes, I sadly do.

SadMeusnier. We've got matching initials now. :P

Not really, it is quite hard to condemn someone for moral harassment, and people are presumed innocent in France.

It does seem like the type of thing that would oft be difficult to prove, let alone pursue in court.

I can be a drama queen at times, so don't take my ramblings too personally.

By the way, I am not sure that it was clear, but partner means married person or person engaged in a civil partnership, not just a romantic partner.

That is the general assumption, but I like to be thorough, hence occasional generalizations.

I hope that you noticed that I am not supporting this law in particular by the way.

That was really funny.

But what I said does not apply to "literature" (hum!).

Whatever that means... Maybe you meant you support unrestricted free speech in works of fiction?

Now, if you want to read something actually amusing, have a look at the following:

That was just disturbing...but whatever floats your boat.
SmugSatokoOct 24, 2021 7:08 PM
Oct 30, 2021 11:16 PM

Jun 2019
SmugSatoko said:
A crucial element of having a mind is expressing your thoughts, ie speech.

When you threaten someone's freedom for their speech, you are depriving them of that.

Bottom line: people should be left alone as long as they have not violated the rights of others. (Of course, what constitutes rights has been debated for millennia...but in my opinion, speech rarely violates anyone's rights.)

As the place of most sonnets written today is on the walls of a cabaret, the place of most people using social media is at the pub.

X ⇒ X. When you dip your toes in water, they end up being wet.

Free speech rarely violates anyone's rights? What about the right to live? How is that rare when it comes to the pandemic for example. Anyone propagating lies is de facto responsible for threatening the lives of others.

What limits should those be? Ah, the question of the ages...

Defamation, conspiracy theories, apology of the ethnic cleansing of a group of people, etc... I have no idea to what "the question of the ages" refer to.

Okay...but can I do it? Please show me how. For science. Yeah, that's it. hehe

I do not think that I should keep replying if you have decided to joke about serious points.

Does it really bother you that much that so many are irrational? Don't act like this is a recent development.

You can't stop conspiracy theories from propagating. They have always been there; they merely appear more prominent now thanks to rapid modern communication.

Since no one possesses perfect knowledge, we resort to speculation. It's part of being human.

Scientists may utilize more honest methodologies...but you can't blame the common man for wondering out loud.

Just because something is a conspiracy theory does not necessarily mean it is harmful or even untrue. Many turned out to be true.

Irrationality per se is not an issue.

They have become much more prominent and have a direct and clear impact on the lives of people as the pandemic showed clearly. People who thought that Moon Landing was a fake were mostly a fringe group of unemployed lunatics, and such a belief did not change much the daily life of people. Due to internet, it has become perhaps not become the belief of the majority (mmh... I would be curious to know how many people believe in the famous "Pentagon missile"...), but still a belief widely shared by many people at all levels of society. Therefore, one needs to address this issue. Saying that you cannot do anything about that is not only giving up on the idea of truth, but on the trivial one of reality.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/58469600

Free speech primarily concerns the government and what is criminal.

You can always get in trouble in the civil sphere for speech without it being a crime per se. This is nothing new.

But the government reflects the opinion of the populace, so that makes very little difference. If you are allowed to say something but will lose your job if you say it, your free speech is as restricted as if there were a law against it.

You said you wanted to make the spreading of conspiracy theories a crime.

What about Google and other search engines? They disseminate data, and conspiracy theories are not exempt from their digital proliferation.

A crime? I have never said that... A misdemeanour if you insist. And only on some online platforms, they are free to complain about anything at the coffee break. They should become harmless again, like the screams of drunkards that woke me up at 2am this morning and prompted me to finally reply to this thread. Then the police came and made even more noise due to their siren when they left. Great job mates.

Correct, but the issue is not really to make this data available. Indeed, it is important to have access to it only to understand its danger.

If there is no victim, there is no crime.

https://www.legalserviceindia.com/legal/article-341-victimless-crime-unawareness-in-sense-of-victim-about-crime.html

And what if they don't want to learn "basic" statistics? (Whatever those happen to be.)

I thought you were a scientist, not a politician. Looking for a career change?

They would not have the choice. But this is only because school failed to teach them so. This is what I was trying to say with this exaggeration.

Certainly not. This discussion is purely theoretical, and I can only laugh at the numerous scientists who tried switching to politics as if studying reality helped with the apprenticeship of deception.

Hey, you're the one who made such a cryptic statement.

I'm not a mind reader...but maybe I can become one with your special cameras! Show me the way, O sensei~

You took the worst interpretation.

You don't get to decide what I fight for. Sorry, sensei.

But please, go ahead defending millionaires who built their empires on false premises.

Plenty of people are savages and think the way you alluded to. There's no getting around that. Trying to silence them won't make such people disappear. We just need to be prepared to defend against future threats.

This is correct that it will not make such people disappear, but it will prevent them from proliferating. No one wants a civil war.

This is what we call low-hanging fruit. A predictable response...just bring up war to distract from the fact that the entire history of the US has been a battle for ever-greater human rights.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_the_United_States

Many US citizens oppose some (or all) wars. The US government and military does not represent the totality of the American people.

It's all relative. The US respects the rights of its citizens far more than most other nations in history.

The point is, we greatly value freedom of speech in my country and will not tolerate those who attempt to steal it away from us.

Thankfully, this reply was not meant to be published.

The majority of US citizens supported the last wars, and George W. Bush was re-elected.

This is correct, only American citizens matter when it comes to human rights.

What you said is, "You are not allowed to speak [...]"

I find it ironic that you fail to see how elitist it is to only allow particularly literate people to speak.

Perhaps I shouldn't have taken these words at face value? Do you (or don't you) want to prevent anyone who has not read X number of books from speaking at all? I could assume from your next statement that it could be only in the context of specific websites...but history shows that assumptions can be deadly.

Oh, a partial quote, a very ingenuous journalistic method. There was a clause in this statement, clause saying that those who have no idea about a given topic should stay silent. I fail to see how this is controversial. Democracy has deluded people into thinking that all words were at the same level of mediocrity.

Literate about topic X. Ezra Pound had advocated (Darkness, 13 July 1942, Radio-Rome) to have Deputies (or rather Senators) who would be experts in all kind of topics to represent better the people, and a miner would certainly know better about any issues related to mining than a poet... See, the academic discussion above should not cloud the fact that in non-academic topics, academics would be practically useless (one could argue that academics are always useless or even harmful, but let us not start this other interesting debate).

I would not go that far, please see the above.

Books and media are not the only things that can shape opinions. There is such a thing as life experience.

"Experience is a lantern that only lights the one holding it." Célinian paraphrase.

How?

And how would wiping out certain sites avert the catastrophe of poorly read individuals stating their opinions online?

China banned Twitter, right? I wonder how that would be so difficult.

I feel some irony in this question. If they do it on 4chan or other obscure websites that most people have never heard of, this is quite irrelevant.

What must be done exactly? How will this plan of yours defeat all these unsubstantiated beliefs?

I do think education is important...but it can only go so far.

One should wonder why education is not able to provide the intellectual tools not to fall prey to such mindsets. But to me, education is the only thing that can help in the long run. Why is it that self-styled sceptics choose to have faith in very improbable things?

What, then, is your favored course of action in this eventhood of an overbearing boss?

Suffer in silence is the norm. Thankfully, I have never experienced this situation myself.

Whoa now. Take a closer look. I was clearly insinuating that capitalism is not life-affirming.

I see, mea culpa.

SadMeusnier. We've got matching initials now. :P

But then why have you changed your username?...

It does seem like the type of thing that would oft be difficult to prove, let alone pursue in court.

I can be a drama queen at times, so don't take my ramblings too personally.

Indeed, and this is why those laws are not as horrific as you could have assumed.

No worries, you have not called me a sub-human yet, so I did not feel that my moral integrity was damaged.

That is the general assumption, but I like to be thorough, hence occasional generalizations.

Duly noted.

That was really funny.

Whatever that means... Maybe you meant you support unrestricted free speech in works of fiction?

Certainly not! This is too easy to frame your ideas in a fictional work and hide behind your books. On this specific point of suicide, I would not blame an author for writing eulogies of suicide, but please do not tell me about the atrocious Babylon.

That was just disturbing...but whatever floats your boat.

I am glad to hear that. You forgot funny too, but the funniest parts come later in the book.

Oct 31, 2021 12:41 AM

Aug 2014
Meusnier said:
As the place of most sonnets written today is on the walls of a cabaret, the place of most people using social media is at the pub.

Forums are social media as well.

Most users of social media don't go to taverns, so this condescending tripe makes even less sense.

Regardless, the venue or content of everyone else's speech is not your decision.

Free speech rarely violates anyone's rights? What about the right to live? How is that rare when it comes to the pandemic for example. Anyone propagating lies is de facto responsible for threatening the lives of others.

Individuals are responsible for their own actions. Misinformation is everywhere. If you read a lie somewhere and act on it, that's your fault for being foolish and not doing proper research. Same goes for neglecting to take measures to protect yourself.

Legally speaking, the right to live only means it is illegal for someone (including the government) to deliberately kill you.

Defamation, conspiracy theories, apology of the ethnic cleansing of a group of people, etc...

As I said, good luck criminalizing discussion of conspiracy theories.

Some weren't even false, making this position of yours all the more curious.

I have no idea to what "the question of the ages" refer to.

Human rights (including what speech should be legally allowed) have been debated for millennia.

Irrationality per se is not an issue.

They have become much more prominent and have a direct and clear impact on the lives of people as the pandemic showed clearly. People who thought that Moon Landing was a fake were mostly a fringe group of unemployed lunatics, and such a belief did not change much the daily life of people. Due to internet, it has become perhaps not become the belief of the majority (mmh... I would be curious to know how many people believe in the famous "Pentagon missile"...), but still a belief widely shared by many people at all levels of society. Therefore, one needs to address this issue. Saying that you cannot do anything about that is not only giving up on the idea of truth, but on the trivial one of reality.

It's certainly possible to slow the spread of particular conspiracy theories by debunking them and so on...but all of them? Surely you jest.

But the government reflects the opinion of the populace, so that makes very little difference. If you are allowed to say something but will lose your job if you say it, your free speech is as restricted as if there were a law against it.

Being confined in a prison for years is more than a little different from losing your job. There are degrees of freedom.

A crime? I have never said that...

"Spreading conspiracy theory would become a crime" were your exact words.

A misdemeanour if you insist. And only on some online platforms, they are free to complain about anything at the coffee break. They should become harmless again, like the screams of drunkards that woke me up at 2am this morning and prompted me to finally reply to this thread. Then the police came and made even more noise due to their siren when they left. Great job mates.

Correct, but the issue is not really to make this data available. Indeed, it is important to have access to it only to understand its danger.

So you only want it to be criminal if it's published on certain websites...yet it's important that people access the information via some of the most popular websites such as search engines...and yet spreading the information is bad? o.O

Context, my dear Meusnier. I meant that having an opinion is not (or at least should not be) a crime; not that victimless crimes don't exist.

They would not have the choice. But this is only because school failed to teach them so. This is what I was trying to say with this exaggeration.

So in this "exaggeration"...you would kidnap those who did not know "basic statistics" (whatever that means) and put them in reeducation camps? How would you identify the poor saps? How would you pull off forced education of adults?

Certainly not. This discussion is purely theoretical, and I can only laugh at the numerous scientists who tried switching to politics as if studying reality helped with the apprenticeship of deception.

Ah, of course...so you presumably acknowledge that these "plans" of yours likely won't happen.

You took the worst interpretation.

You told me to pick my battles carefully...but the battle in question is free speech, which is not limited to that of extremists.

But please, go ahead defending millionaires who built their empires on false premises.

Things would be so much easier if you weren't so vague.

This is correct that it will not make such people disappear, but it will prevent them from proliferating. No one wants a civil war.

How? People say hateful things all the time all over the world.

The majority of US citizens supported the last wars, and George W. Bush was re-elected.

51% is a majority...but if you only pay attention to the 51%, you ignore the 49%.

As for the Iraq war...

"The United States public's opinion on the invasion of Iraq has changed significantly since the years preceding the incursion. For various reasons, mostly related to the unexpected consequences of the invasion, as well as misinformation provided by US authorities, the US public's perspective on its government's choice to initiate an offensive is increasingly negative. Before the invasion in March 2003, polls showed 47–60% of the US public supported an invasion, dependent on U.N. approval.[1] According to the same poll retaken in April 2007, 58% of the participants stated that the initial attack was a mistake.[2] In May 2007, the New York Times and CBS News released similar results of a poll in which 61% of participants believed the U.S. "should have stayed out" of Iraq.[3]"

This is correct, only American citizens matter when it comes to human rights.

That's not what I said, and you know it.

Oh, a partial quote, a very ingenuous journalistic method. There was a clause in this statement, clause saying that those who have no idea about a given topic should stay silent. I fail to see how this is controversial.

It's controversial because you don't get to decide who gets to speak about any topic. (Unless it's something like an event with assigned speakers.)

Democracy has deluded people into thinking that all words were at the same level of mediocrity.

The quality of speech is not relevant to everyone's right to voice their opinion.

China banned Twitter, right? I wonder how that would be so difficult.

They only banned things within their country. Twitter still exists.

I feel some irony in this question. If they do it on 4chan or other obscure websites that most people have never heard of, this is quite irrelevant.

You haven't explained how you would make popular websites disappear.

If you merely meant prohibiting access within a single nation, that won't apply to everywhere else, now, will it?

One should wonder why education is not able to provide the intellectual tools not to fall prey to such mindsets. But to me, education is the only thing that can help in the long run. Why is it that self-styled sceptics choose to have faith in very improbable things?

You're avoiding the question. All you have done is state the obvious, that education is important.

But then why have you changed your username?...

I had planned to for some time. My reasons are numerous, but immaterial.

All these images...alas, I don't recognize the character.

Certainly not! This is too easy to frame your ideas in a fictional work and hide behind your books. On this specific point of suicide, I would not blame an author for writing eulogies of suicide, but please do not tell me about the atrocious Babylon.

It seems to me that you are afraid of what makes you uncomfortable...to the point that you endeavor to expurgate it.
SmugSatokoNov 1, 2021 1:59 PM
Oct 31, 2021 2:07 AM

Mar 2019
ngl after playing on some Japanese TF2 servers for over a year now, good riddance those fucking Japanese are goddamn cutthroat with their insults, they just don't know boundaries, hurts my fucking fragile masculinity QAQ
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Are you a slow or fast typier on a computer???

DesuMaiden - Apr 19

44 by Vampire_Lord »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » Is intelligence overrated?

pludel2 - Mar 29

25 by deg »»
18 minutes ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

30 by deg »»
45 minutes ago

» Do you enjoy nature?

Kamikaze_404 - Apr 23

32 by Spunkert »»
53 minutes ago

» Dracula, Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde or Frankenstein(books)?

Absurdo_N - Apr 23

12 by LoveLikeBlood »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.