Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 3, 2021 6:30 AM

Jul 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This is a horror BL story airing alongside the comedic Mieruko-chan, and this is easily the darker feeling show.

Mikado Kousuke, the one who can see spirits (when he takes off his glasses) and working at a bookstore, and Hiyakawa Rihito, the one who can exorcise spirits through a medium like Mikado, what kind of fate has he got into. Sadly for Mikado, he has to accept the fact that he must work alongside Hiyakawa into solving these supernatural cases as his personal assistant, from something simple as a touch to the "core" (that is the heart). Didn't know that exorcising spirits can be this lewd.

His store manager Yamai is quite lax in knowing how to handle Mikado, so the first assignment arrives to exorcise a haunted house but in the stereotypical apartment. But for Mikado to re-stock his soul through food like meat, that's easier said and done. From dismembered people to spirit sightings to solve different cases, these two guy's strange relationship is truly something to be seen (aside from the obvious feel-good BL tropes).

BE WARNED: It can get pretty uncomfortable with the setting elements of the cases, so try not to consume anything while watching this vomit-inducing gruelsome show.

Frederic's OP is OK, and I shall stick around for this BL horror ride.

Apparently the manga is also complete, so we may see a complete adaptation.
KANLen09Oct 3, 2021 7:00 AM
Oct 3, 2021 6:31 AM

Aug 2021
Hmmm, that first episode was interesting...The erotic exorcism is peculiar.
Absurdo_NJun 29, 2022 4:37 PM

Oct 3, 2021 6:44 AM

May 2017
Great beginning!
Man i love the first ep already, this show packed with sexy, mystery and scary things at the same time lol im kinda suprised the vibe are quite dark, also love the theme & that the sexual innuendos xDD
The ghost was scary and creepy too.
The ed(?) song are also good.
Really interesting and solid first episode! Can't wait for the next ep!
livexevilOct 3, 2021 6:54 AM
Oct 3, 2021 8:05 AM
Dec 2020
Really good start. I started this show without even knowing what it was about, and i'm pleasantly surprised of the story. Can't wait for the next episode.
Oct 3, 2021 8:06 AM
Sep 2015
I've been wondering for a long time on how showing mutilated corpse in anime can be broadcast but showing penis can't.
Oct 3, 2021 8:13 AM
Mar 2018
This was weird and uncomfortable, i definitely don't recommend it
Oct 3, 2021 8:37 AM
Oct 2015
My thoughts after watching the first episode, I was creeped out by the weird ghosts, the art style is amazing, I was immediately hooked onto the sexual intakes, and the voice actors did an excellent job of bringing out their character. Just keep in mind that this anime is not suitable for children under the age of 18 because of dead corpses and other explicit scenes.
Oct 3, 2021 8:41 AM

Mar 2021
A-Mux said:
This was weird and uncomfortable, i definitely don't recommend it

You're meant to find Hiyakawa weird and uncomfortable, that's the intended effect?
Oct 3, 2021 8:54 AM
Dec 2020
pokinilla96 said:
My thoughts after watching the first episode, I was creeped out by the weird ghosts, the art style is amazing, I was immediately hooked onto the sexual intakes, and the voice actors did an excellent job of bringing out their character. Just keep in mind that this anime is not suitable for children under the age of 18 because of dead corpses and other explicit scenes.

YES that’s exactly how I feel too
Oct 3, 2021 9:05 AM

Jul 2008
Thanks gosh I'm feeling like crying for once !
No rape,
No harassment,
No forced kiss,
A freaking real dark scenario behind that's not too girlish and childish.

Aaah really my hype just reached another level with this first episode.
Hopefully even the non-fujoshi will like it if the story is well managed. Even with BL and fanserv moments.
Oct 3, 2021 9:07 AM
Jul 2016
It did not come across nearly as uncomfortable (and erotic...) in the manga. I thought I was desensitized to BL, but apparently sound and movement adds a whole new layer I'm not used to lmaooooo.

In other news, Mikado-kun is so cute in the anime... he's wearing old-lady glasses with the beads attached...too cute.
Oct 3, 2021 9:08 AM
Oct 2013
This kind of bl anime is so refreshing!! Unlike the usual love love kind AHHAHA very excited to see what's coming up next! The art of this anime is nicely drawn too!! Maybe i'll read the manga soon as well.
Oct 3, 2021 9:31 AM

Sep 2015
Strange but interesting
Oct 3, 2021 10:11 AM

Mar 2021
gokalp said:
how disappointing. seems like another series written by a horny woman with fetishes involving gay men. i hate these authors and people who support these series so much.

Fun fact: Gege Akutami, author of Jujutsu Kaisen likes this series and states that it's one of his inspiration for JJK.

This is a story with a lot of psychological and thematic complexity combined with great occult horror elements - that's why it's acclaimed. Surprised that people are so uncomfortable with men who show any semblance of gay sexual desire and completely miss the point of the scenes.
Oct 3, 2021 10:12 AM

Jun 2020
"Should exorcisms be this erotic?"

it was interesting, but also wtf did I just witness
Oct 3, 2021 10:19 AM

Sep 2020
gokalp said:
how disappointing. seems like another series written by a horny woman with fetishes involving gay men. i hate these authors and people who support these series so much.
This show is made for the female audiance. Despite knowing that this is BL why did you watch it then.

Boys gets tonnes of Ecchi and Herem series every season it's unfair if the female audiance didn't get any.

I am not watching this series btw.
Oct 3, 2021 10:22 AM
Aug 2018
I was expecting to be crept out by BL stuff but not really. Maybe because instead of having "sexual tension", it just seems ridiculous (more like a parody trying to use all the sentence with sexual innuendos possible...).

"Connecting" (by holding each other... luckily nothing more extreme) to share senses... why not... but I still have no idea how they manage to solve the murder case.... How could they get that much from the bathroom scene ? How did they get to the boiler room ?

There was some interesting concept but dealing with the "spirits/corpse" was too easy (I wonder how Rihito dealt with them before meeting Kousuke) and the resolution of the murder case was not that great.

Erika showing up might make next episode more interesting...

ZXEAN said:

Boys gets tonnes of Ecchi and Herem series every season it's unfair if the female audiance didn't get any.

True but we rarely get yuri.
Oct 3, 2021 10:30 AM

Nov 2012
A solid start. I'm not sure if my love of horror will outweigh my dislike of BL, but I'll try.
Oct 3, 2021 11:02 AM

Feb 2017
ooooo this was a really intriguing first episode! i love a good mystery and/or horror series and this is right up my alley

placeholder text
Oct 3, 2021 11:21 AM

Dec 2020
So he can see dead ghosts i like the story premise and yeah looking forward to this BL.
Also he was eating something in the end.
HiroyasuOct 3, 2021 11:24 AM
P O S I T I V E V I B E Sシ

Oct 3, 2021 11:25 AM

Jan 2019
Lol, they aren't being shy with erotism here. Not even 2 minutes in and I already felt like I was reading yaoi manga prints.

That aside, the middle to the end caught my interest. I like horror, so I'm a bit interested in how this will go. Not a bad a start.
Oct 3, 2021 11:42 AM
Jan 2019
gokalp said:

I’m sorry but if you dislike BL so much you should probably remove that 10 star rating from Given lmao
Oct 3, 2021 11:45 AM

Mar 2021
gokalp said:

i'm not uncomfortable with "men who show any semblance of gay sexual desire", in fact, i myself am gay and want to see men who show those homosexual desires in anime more. however, this is not proper gay representation. every scene involving those two men was weird and fetishy. these type of shows are always created for fujoshis and it is sad to see gay people used like this a lot in japanese media, solely for female audience.

Yeah but your fave anime, Given, is also a BL made by fujoshi and for fujoshi audience, so your argument doesn't really hold up. Plus a large portion of fujoshi aren't straight, where did that assumption come from? When did the author say she was straight?

I disagree in that there is no "proper" gay representation because EVERY STORY about gay people is representation. Not everything has to be fluffy cute wholesome romance. This is a horror mystery focused story, NOT a romance story - plus we deserve to see gay people who are traumatised and messed up and do dubious things. It's more interesting and I'm frankly done with the boring cutesy stuff.

Your real issue that you're just personally uncomfortable with the dubious consent, stop spinning it into a bigger issue about "rep" to validate your taste. You only saw one episode anyway, as a source reader I'll just say that the series does have commentary on the dubcon trope in romance and the author is aware of it, so its deliberately written that way.
Oct 3, 2021 12:09 PM

Jun 2020
Rukodaime91 said:
I was expecting to be crept out by BL stuff but not really. Maybe because instead of having "sexual tension", it just seems ridiculous (more like a parody trying to use all the sentence with sexual innuendos possible...).

"Connecting" (by holding each other... luckily nothing more extreme) to share senses... why not... but I still have no idea how they manage to solve the murder case.... How could they get that much from the bathroom scene ? How did they get to the boiler room ?

There was some interesting concept but dealing with the "spirits/corpse" was too easy (I wonder how Rihito dealt with them before meeting Kousuke) and the resolution of the murder case was not that great.

Erika showing up might make next episode more interesting...

The boiler room thing confused me as well. I thought I missed something in the bathroom flashback, but after rewinding I realized they never explained it. They just mention that one of the victims told them in passing. I wonder if there's skipped material here or something cause the transition was weird.
Oct 3, 2021 12:21 PM

Sep 2021
That was surprising...was not expecting a BL with sexual undertone type anime since i did not check the tags here first (i mainly use anichart, which didn't add a BL tag, to check the summary first to decide which anime to watch)

the murder mystery seems a little interesting so i will watch a couple more episodes i guess...
Oct 3, 2021 1:04 PM
Oct 2021
gokalp said:

edit: i'm literally gay, stop assuming i'm homophobic or i don't like BL series lmao. i just don't like BL series like this that fetishize gay people, otherwise i love BL series.

Have you read the original material? If not,I recommend you shut up because as a reader of this work, I can guarantee that have a lot more consent than the poorly written shit that is Given. Anyway, ONE episode was aired and I guarantee you that Tomoko helps the community more than you,just look at the campaigns against LGBTphobia and in favor of same-sex marriage in which she participates in.In addition to the pro-vaccination campaigns. Stop being a frustrated gay on tumblr.
Oct 3, 2021 1:18 PM

Apr 2008
This first episode is giving me a very it puts the lotion in the basket vibe when they found the body with all the parts stitched together. I have had the manga on my reading list for a while and had no idea it was getting an adaption. I guess ill have to read it soon!
SevenOct 3, 2021 1:23 PM
Oct 3, 2021 1:19 PM

Dec 2008
The site I watched this on didn't have a BL tag so I thought I was jebaited into watching some weird fujo bait Conjuring until I came here and saw that it was indeed intended to be uncomfortably sexual
Oct 3, 2021 1:30 PM
Jul 2018
Torokito said:
gokalp said:

edit: i'm literally gay, stop assuming i'm homophobic or i don't like BL series lmao. i just don't like BL series like this that fetishize gay people, otherwise i love BL series.

Have you read the original material? If not,I recommend you shut up because as a reader of this work, I can guarantee that have a lot more consent than the poorly written shit that is Given. Anyway, ONE episode was aired and I guarantee you that Tomoko helps the community more than you,just look at the campaigns against LGBTphobia and in favor of same-sex marriage in which she participates in.In addition to the pro-vaccination campaigns. Stop being a frustrated gay on tumblr.
Given was really good and wholesome though. I don't think it's wrong to have some sort of series like this that's touchy, since men have there yuri, ecchi, and harems every year. They're is barely any anime for women besides like free and some yaoi
Oct 3, 2021 1:37 PM
Oct 2021
gokalp said:
Torokito said:

this cheap ass show can only WISH it was as good as given lmao, they can never be compared 🤣🤣 also the fact that the author helped the community doesn't mean anything considering she keeps writing corny and toxic stuff like this that keep degrading the community. one episode was enough for me to see that this is trash. now keep crying you dumb fujoshi ♥

fujoshi? oh my god kkkkkk, I'm a full-grown gay man, and if you're so worried about toxic relationships I think you should pay more attention to Given, huh? uegetsu and Shizusumi blow kisses. Also, you should be more concerned about the shit that isayama writes, because since we're talking about garbage I think there's nothing better to match than Shingeki.
Oct 3, 2021 1:39 PM

Jan 2017
What a way to start a work! I found the setting of the work super interesting, I'm a fan of supernatural things and BL so I knew it would be a big hit for this season for me, but I ended the episode enjoying it more than I thought.

I'm not a fearful person, but I could see that the setting is really to make you feel uncomfortable.And if you're a big fan of supernatural things and don't mind two mens touching each other, I highly recommend this anime.
Oct 3, 2021 1:44 PM
Ooga Booga

Jul 2020
Interesting first episode, liked the blonde dude. Not too much into BL but lets see how much place it will take.

smoochie smoochie

Oct 3, 2021 1:47 PM

Feb 2015
It was a nice beginning. Actually i didn't expect this work would be this interesting. I like how it has a different atmosphere and that mystery elements. Can't wait to see the how their relationship will grow and the role of the woman at the end.
Oct 3, 2021 1:53 PM

Sep 2017
Love it. Cannot wait for more

Also love that this'll give me a good amount of people to block :D
Oct 3, 2021 1:55 PM
May 2020
Number 2 for best of the season so far.
Lets see if they can keep the pressure up.
Oct 3, 2021 2:15 PM

Jan 2020
Honestly, the exorcist MC is lowkey creepy and sus. Things move a bit too fast it feels like it's forced.

The first episode was OK I guess. We'll see what happens in the upcoming episodes.
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.
Oct 3, 2021 2:17 PM
Oct 2021
gokalp said:
Torokito said:

fujoshi? oh my god kkkkkk, I'm a full-grown gay man, and if you're so worried about toxic relationships I think you should pay more attention to Given, huh? uegetsu and Shizusumi blow kisses. Also, you should be more concerned about the shit that isayama writes, because since we're talking about garbage I think there's nothing better to match than Shingeki.

being a gay man and still liking this type of stuff is more embarrassing than being a fujoshi lmao

the akihiko-ugetsu-haruki arc shows that it is possible to get rid of toxic people in your life and redeem yourself after making mistakes. if anything, given did the complete opposite of most BL series which glorify abusive and toxic relationships. shizusumi on the other hand... i'm just going to pretend that whole arc doesn't exist. it still doesn't erase the significance of the previous arcs kizu natsuki has written though.

oh, still hating on aot in 2021, seriously? even when it has nothing to do with what we discuss? how about you do some research instead of being a complete ignorant bitch? stop believing in everything you hear from snowflakes on twitter and go educate yourself.

you literally used the fetish as an excuse and think I believe everything I see on Twitter? if you want to talk about why you didn't like something you should learn when and where to use the words correctly

oh and there's nothing embarrassing about it, it would be worse if I didn't know what I'm supporting
Oct 3, 2021 2:41 PM

Jan 2012
Not bad actually. Visuals reminded me of GoHands back when studio wasn't shit. Directing isn't so great though and pacing is a bit too fast to start care about anyone as of now.

I'm not into BL but I know a few bl stories that are good, so I'll give this show a try.
Oct 3, 2021 2:51 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
First episode was pretty good, the ghosts looks pretty spooky, and that story of the girls losing parts of their body when they died, which were just enough to make a fully formed corpse was wicked, but the way they exorcise the ghosts was kinda wild lol, I’m not too into it personally, but honestly it doesn’t bother me, this definitely interested me enough to keep me watching
Oct 3, 2021 3:05 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Damn, they really rushed through the first three chapters lol. Mainly the second chapter, I liked that one, but it ended up being less than a minute long? :'D It's not important, and it's just another set up the ghosts stuff, so I can see why it's skipped if they want to get the main plot. It didn't really transition well, pacing felt a bit off there. I still think it wouldn't have hurt to have kept it in, because I found second chapter to be a bit scary, but I suppose the cliffhanger with Hiura Erika was a good way to keep viewers watching.

Anyways, loving it so far! Hiyakawa does feel like a creep, as he should, and the exorcisms feel uncomfortable, as they should. I think they're doing the creepy atmosphere quite well, and I'm liking Zakki's deep voice here. I also like how Mikado is scared of the ghosts, his fear and reactions are quite realistic.
Oct 3, 2021 3:25 PM
Oct 2021
I like it but it gets really erotic sometimes… in weird situations

Like if you want to make out or do erotic stuff it’s cool, do it. They just make it seem very weird…

The OP is really nice.
Oct 3, 2021 4:14 PM

May 2018
I found this to be a very sloppy and rushed adaptation of most of the 1st volume. I’m going to continue watching with the belief that it’ll get better as it goes.

"Are you intoxicated, or just insane?"
Oct 3, 2021 5:22 PM

Feb 2013
Ok. I’m hooked into watching it after this first ep. It’s been so long since I watched a show with a dark and scary theme so I’m here for this!
Oct 3, 2021 5:31 PM

Nov 2019
That was quite an interesting episode, wonder what'll happen next
Also, I hope Mikado manages to feel more at ease with the supernatural soon
Oct 3, 2021 6:06 PM

Dec 2020
This started out so hilarious, I didn’t know what to think about it being another so bad it’s good yaoi 😭 and so awfully set-up underdeveloped and on-the-nose, but it started to reveal its own tounge-in-cheek plannings blatantly, I dunno. The complexities started to show. And towards the end I was totally thrown off and pulled in and now I don’t know what to think. This might actually be a good show 😶
Oct 3, 2021 6:27 PM

Aug 2011
I thought the first ep was alright. The pacing was just too fast for me, and I didn't really think the two main characters have much chemistry. I'll stick around for another 2/3 eps for the mystery/horror bits but if it's not interesting I might drop this.
desu desu binches
Oct 3, 2021 6:54 PM

Mar 2010
Well that was weird. Lol I can't say I like the blonde mc at all but I guess I like Mikado. Currently not sure of the plot but i am still interested in seeing more for now.
Oct 3, 2021 6:59 PM
Jul 2018
there were parts that this anime makes a suspense with the mysteries and I didn't expect this anime to be quite BL.
Oct 3, 2021 7:02 PM

Dec 2020
Whoever’s bringing up Given compared to this needs to staahp. Bring up yuri on ice while yr at it lmao those are completely different from so much queer-toned anime. This show might be garbage but the way it ended was kinda awesomely hilarious, I’m here for it for now
Oct 3, 2021 7:18 PM

Feb 2020
Eh that was weird and the pseudo-sex was really awkward and uncomfortable...also not thrilled with the overdone power dynamic. but I like mystery & supernatural so won't drop yet
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sankaku Mado no Sotogawa wa Yoru Episode 12 Discussion

KANLen09 - Dec 19, 2021

26 by Altadena »»
Nov 14, 2023 1:54 AM

Poll: » Sankaku Mado no Sotogawa wa Yoru Episode 4 Discussion

KANLen09 - Oct 24, 2021

13 by MyLadyShip »»
Jan 6, 2023 3:01 AM

» Why

DillanSmokes - Dec 11, 2022

1 by KayKimii »»
Dec 11, 2022 5:18 PM

» So will it be BL or not?

kari-ya - Sep 8, 2021

14 by Raslen_1412 »»
Jun 29, 2022 11:29 AM

» Season 2

seantan797 - Mar 19, 2022

1 by MagicPolly »»
Mar 19, 2022 9:23 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.