Forum Settings
Forums

Light Novel 'Tensei shitara Ken deshita' Gets TV Anime

#1
Sep 23, 6:23 PM
News Team
Overkilled Red

Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 6618
The wraparound band on the 12th volume of Yuu Tanaka's Tensei shitara Ken deshita (Reincarnated as a Sword) light novel announced a television anime on Friday.

Synopsis
The hero of Tensei shitara Ken deshita differs from your standard otherworldly protagonist in that he is reincarnated as a sword! Beginning his quest by spawning in the middle of a beast-ridden forest, he encounters an injured girl frantically fleeing for her life. Saving her from her assailants, the pair acquaint themselves, and the girl introduces herself as Fran. She bears a heavy past, having endured the enslavement and maltreatment of her tribe, the Black Cats.

As the hero is unable to remember the name from his past life, the young and tenacious Fran bestows him the name "Shishou" and becomes his wielder. Thereafter, Shishou and Fran become a formidable team, embarking on quests to liberate the oppressed and exact justice! [Written by MAL Rewrite]

Tanaka began penning the action fantasy novel, abbreviated as TenKen, on the Shousetsuka ni Narou website in October 2015. Micro Magazine began printing the series under its GC Novels imprint in July 2016, featuring illustrations by LLO (Machine-Doll wa Kizutsukanai). TenKen has a cumulative 1.8 million copies of its volumes in print.

Tomoo Maruyama bagan drawing a manga adaptation on the Denshi Birz (later Comic Boost) website in December 2016. Gentosha published the tenth volume on Friday.

Manga creator duo Hinako Inoue launched the Tensei shitara Ken deshita: Another Wish (Reincarnated as a Sword: Another Wish) spin-off on the Comic Ride web magazine last June. Micro Magazine published the third volume on Friday, which also contained the anime announcement on its wraparound band.

Seven Seas Entertainment respectively licensed both the light novel and manga adaptation in English in January and May 2019, and published the fifth novel volume and seventh manga volume on May 25 and September 14. The publisher also licensed the Another Wish spin-off manga in May and plans to release the first volume on January 18, 2022.

Novel special site: https://gcnovels.jp/sword/
Official Twitter: @tenken_official

Source: PR Times

Tensei shitara Ken Deshita on MAL
Modified by Vindstot, Sep 24, 5:31 PM

 
#2
Sep 23, 6:31 PM
Ribbit

Offline
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 219
I am unbelievably excited for this! I've been hoping for ages that they would adapt this. I read the webnovel version, but it's my favorite among WN/LN/Manga easily.

While I'm sure it'll only get 12-13 eps (maybe 24-25 if we're *really* lucky) and I don't think that's enough to really get into the thick of things, I am neverheless absolutely elated to see that this is finally getting an adaptation!
 
 
#3
Sep 23, 6:47 PM
Online
Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 648
This somehow interest me because never saw an Isekai that the MC become a tool instead of a character. The rating is fairly good so might give this a go.
 
#4
Sep 23, 7:17 PM

Online
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 5566
would this technically be isekai meets Soul Eater? lol
Like a bolt from the blue, click on pic below to read my Reaper Review.
 
#5
Sep 23, 8:02 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2021
Posts: 213
Another garbage isekai. Many quality series are not getting anime whereas such garbage isekais are getting adaptations. Yikes!
 
#6
Sep 23, 8:09 PM
Offline
Joined: Apr 2020
Posts: 8
Haven't watched/read a lot of isekai genre, but I read the manga adaptation of this one, and I quite like it. I'm looking forward for the anime adaptation.
 
#7
Sep 23, 9:03 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 467
I thought this was a Slime spin-off looking at the title but no, now we have a sword anime too…
 
#8
Sep 23, 9:35 PM
Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 16
FINALLY. Been reading the manga and its great, hoping the adaptation doesn't fail me TwT
 
 
#9
Sep 23, 9:48 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2020
Posts: 956
Above average gimmick, I guess... Still not interested.
 
Sep 23, 10:29 PM
Offline
Joined: Apr 2021
Posts: 10
Finally getting an anime.
 
Sep 23, 10:32 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 1099
hmm 1 from my 8 isekai anime wishlist is down 7 to go man if only death mage gor announced to anyway looking forward to this one.
 
 
Sep 23, 11:01 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 1099
The way things going there will atleast a decade and half or two decades before isekai die ... no slow down not that i complain but people who hates it .... yeah ....
 
Sep 23, 11:52 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 11558
Sword eh, if he doesn't have a human form I dun feel like watching.
 
Sep 24, 12:30 AM
Offline
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 3207
This premise is really interesting! The fact that he's a sword already piqued my attention!

Just checked all the sites i could to make sure, so apperently it's neither ecchi, nor harem either, which is very good and a huge plus in my book!

The manga does seem to have some nudity but i couldn't find any information on if it was also present in the light novel, also until it airs we won't know if they'll include it in the anime....

There also seems to be violence, though not explicit (AKA Gore) from what i gathered, so all in all, definitely will give this one a try!

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

 
Sep 24, 1:55 AM

Online
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 5609
What? Did they really decide to adapt that LN about getting isekai-ed into sword?

The_Villian_X said:
Another garbage isekai. Many quality series are not getting anime whereas such garbage isekais are getting adaptations. Yikes!


I love people who still think their favorite titles aren't getting adaptations because of isekai.
 
Sep 24, 2:06 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2020
Posts: 1605
This really is some different kind of reincarnation than your average one
 
 
Sep 24, 2:58 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 1099
RobertBobert said:


I love people who still think their favorite titles aren't getting adaptations because of isekai.


This is indeed a bygone era of a thought and a stupid one at that there are numerous factors into consideration in terms something getting anime but some people be always complaining
Softhenic03 said:
This really is some different kind of reincarnation than your average one

Tuning into object isekai is pretty common among manga well atleast more than in anime
 
Sep 24, 3:02 AM

Online
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 5609
AnimeFA78N said:
RobertBobert said:


I love people who still think their favorite titles aren't getting adaptations because of isekai.


This is indeed a bygone era of a thought and a stupid one at that there are numerous factors into consideration in terms something getting anime but some people be always complaining
Softhenic03 said:
This really is some different kind of reincarnation than your average one

Tuning into object isekai is pretty common among manga well atleast more than in anime


They seriously think that if isekai weren't popular, then their favorite manga or LN would undoubtedly get an adaptation.
 
Sep 24, 3:24 AM
SMM2 Enthusiast

Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 7615
I'm very familiar with this title!! I've only been reading its manga counterpart (I need to catch up) and I haven't started its LN though. There's no way I wouldn't recognize this title! And there's a reason why I looked it up, even in manga form.

@RobertBobert This LN has a drama CD in Japanese, from what I've found in ANN some time ago. The Japanese drama CD has the voice cast for Fran, the main heroine who is also the wielder of the reincarnated sword. If they plan to keep the similar voice cast from the drama CD, then it would be possible that she will be voicing Fran in the anime!

It's been 2 years since I've read the manga format, and I was dreaming for this series to actually get an anime. I've waited 2 years for this to finally come true. Damn.
 
Sep 24, 3:32 AM

Online
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 5609
@LunyRem Could this be ... what are you talking about our goddess?
 
 
Sep 24, 4:47 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 5945
Well this is certainly a unique one lol, I'll be watching for sure
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
 
Sep 24, 5:03 AM

Online
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1052
Not surprising - I think it was only a matter of time for this one to get an adaption since it is pretty popular.

Sure is a fun title. I really liked the father-daughter dynamic that developed between Master and Fran. And him trying to keep her out of trouble, support her in her fights and trying to rein in her impulse of pummeling people that annoy her. And Fran is pretty much more the main character than him.

So just a sword-daddy looking after his wild cat-girl of a daughter.

As long as the adaption holds up it will certainly be a fun ride.
 
Sep 24, 5:04 AM
SMM2 Enthusiast

Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 7615
RobertBobert said:
@LunyRem Could this be ... what are you talking about our goddess?

Bingo! 👍 But that's if they would honestly keep the same voice actors from the drama CD to the anime, then this will be awesome.
 
Sep 24, 5:07 AM

Online
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 5609
LunyRem said:
RobertBobert said:
@LunyRem Could this be ... what are you talking about our goddess?

Bingo! 👍 But that's if they would honestly keep the same voice actors from the drama CD to the anime, then this will be awesome.


You made me love this show with just one comment, lol.
 
Sep 24, 5:09 AM

Online
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 5609
Asturaetus said:
Not surprising - I think it was only a matter of time for this one to get an adaption since it is pretty popular.

Sure is a fun title. I really liked the father-daughter dynamic that developed between Master and Fran. And him trying to keep her out of trouble, support her in her fights and trying to rein in her impulse of pummeling people that annoy her. And Fran is pretty much more the main character than him.

So just a sword-daddy looking after his wild cat-girl of a daughter.

As long as the adaption holds up it will certainly be a fun ride.


So, is it mainly about younger female - older male type of show without any romance or baiting?
 
 
Sep 24, 5:14 AM

Online
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1052
RobertBobert said:

So, is it mainly about younger female - older male type of show without any romance or baiting?

Correction: It's a "younger female - talking sword type of show". And yeah - obviously there's not even the slightest hint of romance.
 
Sep 24, 5:16 AM

Online
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 5609
Asturaetus said:
RobertBobert said:

So, is it mainly about younger female - older male type of show without any romance or baiting?

Correction: It's a "younger female - talking sword type of show". And yeah - obviously there's not even the slightest hint of romance.


Even between Fran and some side characters?
 
Sep 24, 5:23 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 1099
RobertBobert said:


They seriously think that if isekai weren't popular, then their favorite manga or LN would undoubtedly get an adaptation.


Yeah and usally these peoples fav manga or Ln is so niche and no more than 5 people give enough f*** cause more or less every popular manga or Ln (IN JAPAN) eventually gets anime adaption (if they have enough content) be it isekai or not and regardless of demographic that is specially these days
 
Sep 24, 5:23 AM

Online
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1052
RobertBobert said:

Even between Fran and some side characters?

At least as far as I've read and that's probably beyond what the anime will adapt there was no one with any romantic interest in her. And after a while when they set off beyond the first town to traveling it's pretty much just the two of them. They sure meet other people on their way that help them for a while (a quest here, a dungeon there, a political intrique maybe) and then they part ways with them again. So the party consists basically just of those two.
 
Sep 24, 5:30 AM

Online
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 5609
Asturaetus said:
RobertBobert said:

Even between Fran and some side characters?

At least as far as I've read and that's probably beyond what the anime will adapt there was no one with any romantic interest in her. And after a while when they set off beyond the first town to traveling it's pretty much just the two of them. They sure meet other people on their way that help them for a while (a quest here, a dungeon there, a political intrique maybe) and then they part ways with them again. So the party consists basically just of those two.


So, in a way, this is Kino's Journey + talking sword?
 
Sep 24, 5:38 AM

Online
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1052
RobertBobert said:

So, in a way, this is Kino's Journey + talking sword?

I see where the comparison comes from. And in a way, you could say so. But I'd argue Kino is more about the commentary on the underlying social issues of the towns and people she comes across, etc. This is very much still an adventure type isekai kind of story with fighting monsters or other people and focussing on getting stronger, etc. If you expect deeper messages you might set yourself up for disappointment.

For something more akin to a fantasy-type Kino story we would probably need a Frieren or Bard Loen adaption.
Modified by Asturaetus, Sep 24, 5:44 AM
 
Sep 24, 6:35 AM

Online
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 5609
Asturaetus said:
RobertBobert said:

So, in a way, this is Kino's Journey + talking sword?

I see where the comparison comes from. And in a way, you could say so. But I'd argue Kino is more about the commentary on the underlying social issues of the towns and people she comes across, etc. This is very much still an adventure type isekai kind of story with fighting monsters or other people and focussing on getting stronger, etc. If you expect deeper messages you might set yourself up for disappointment.

For something more akin to a fantasy-type Kino story we would probably need a Frieren or Bard Loen adaption.


No, I'm only talking about the scheme for constructing arcs. I call this "Pokemon Adventures" because it was my first anime with characters walking between cities most of the time.
 
Sep 24, 6:50 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2021
Posts: 1164
Damn, now we are one step closer to getting the "reincarnated as a vending machine" adaptation.
 
Sep 24, 7:00 AM
Offline
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 193
How do you even convince yourself that you're the main character?
still looking forward to it tho
 
 
Sep 24, 7:32 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 269
Great news, this is one of the better isekai titles. Fran is super cute and the rest of the cast is decent too.
 
 
Sep 24, 1:20 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 213
I remember finding out about this one 4 years ago because it had a title similar to Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken, I even read the first volume of the manga adaptation but I put it on hold for some reason, I guess this is a good time to catch up.
 
Sep 24, 6:41 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 715
Let me guess...he gets a human form around Arc 2 or 3, right?


Also, how long till Vending Machine and Thermal Fountain Isekais, I wonder?
FGO NA Code: 482.072.599

FGO JP Code: 905.572.029

(F2P thug life of savings...)
 
Sep 24, 11:25 PM
Offline
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 3207
Asturaetus said:
Not surprising - I think it was only a matter of time for this one to get an adaption since it is pretty popular.

Sure is a fun title. I really liked the father-daughter dynamic that developed between Master and Fran. And him trying to keep her out of trouble, support her in her fights and trying to rein in her impulse of pummeling people that annoy her. And Fran is pretty much more the main character than him.

So just a sword-daddy looking after his wild cat-girl of a daughter.

As long as the adaption holds up it will certainly be a fun ride.


I'm seriously happy to know their relationship is sooo wholesome!!! This keeps getting better and better!

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

 
Sep 25, 8:22 AM
Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 1562
Asturaetus said:
RobertBobert said:

Even between Fran and some side characters?

At least as far as I've read and that's probably beyond what the anime will adapt there was no one with any romantic interest in her. And after a while when they set off beyond the first town to traveling it's pretty much just the two of them. They sure meet other people on their way that help them for a while (a quest here, a dungeon there, a political intrique maybe) and then they part ways with them again. So the party consists basically just of those two.


cough cough cough The Princess and Fran 😏
 
Sep 25, 1:33 PM
Offline
Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 37
Can't wait to see the adventures of Fran and Master the Sword in animated form. I'm also curious as to who the animation studio will be that gets to adapt this series.
 
Sep 26, 9:46 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 1267
Tenken getting anime is good news because I read this LN in english. And its not harem and OP Male MC isekai trash


 
Oct 3, 12:43 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 2781
now im curious if the vending machine isekai is gonna get adapted lol