Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Sep 15, 2021 8:30 AM

Jul 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Funimation's pre-release before it airs in Winter 2022 in Japan.

Can I say that this is truly the pairing of 3 industry giants: director Naoko Yamada, scriptwriter Reiko Yoshida, and music composer Kensuke Ushio, into one hell of an amusing show that has been done with KyoAni's Koe no Katachi a.k.a A Silent Voice and Liz to Aoi Tori a.k.a Liz and the Blue Bird. Add Science SARU's unique visuals, and you have a seasonal masterpiece in the making.

Some background of this show: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tale_of_the_Heike

For an early premiere episode, the story of the Heike from the POV of a person is just as intriguing as it is a Japanese History class of exchange between the Heike warriors and Taira clans. And in comes this child: the Aoi Yuuki voiced, heterocoloured orphan girl (Biwa) to tell of revelations while passing around as a musician who lost her precious dad from a simple skirmish, and she prefers dressing up as a boy.

She is quite the attracting character whom can see the future, for one. And of course, she can throw quite the fit in the royalty setting, though socially and etiquettely inept and taught by Taira no Shigemori adopting her into the family.

Seriously though, this show is just like attending a Japanese History lesson and learning of its famous lore in animation form. Gonna expect a lot of good things for this one.
KANLen09Sep 15, 2021 10:57 AM
Sep 15, 2021 8:38 AM

May 2017
Wow oh wow. The art direction, the storyboards, the scenery, the use of color. the mix of simple character designs combined with intricate details when it matters, the already mesmerizing music of this show, the splendid voice acting of familiar actors like Sakurai Takahiro.. The opening is so beautiful. The ending is great as well.

The soundtrack felt so familiar, I always listen to A Silent Voice's soundtrack when reading Manga, so I just knew that the same composer did the music for this anime and I was right.. I love that guys style. He knows how to make simple but yet heart-wrenching beautiful pieces.

This was flawless, it felt like the opener to a movie.

I'll revisit some scenes since I missed some of the lore-based parts. The plot pace felt a bit fast. (edit, I rewatched the entire episode, which is something I never, ever do.. but this episode deserved it. What a beauty. It also cleared up everything I had missed, which just makes this even better obviously.)

A super ambitious project. I loved it, and I'm looking forward to more.
shayed__Sep 15, 2021 9:34 AM
Sep 15, 2021 8:50 AM

Jul 2019
Well, Naoko Yamada has really managed to create her own distinctive directorial signature.

I really like the non-generic art style and the atmosphere overall.

My only problem is that there was too much exposition in a short span of time, so I wasn't able to really grasp it all.

Overall, really promising project, let's hope it won't be too rushed.
Sep 15, 2021 9:06 AM

Jun 2019
Oh, that was a nice start. The art style and the animation of the show look really different and tbh, really well done IMO. I'm definitely gonna keep my eye on this show. Aside from the art style, the OST is from the GOAT, Ushio Kensuke himself. Really relaxing and beautiful. For now, I think the plot looks promising but definitely gonna take a while to grasp everything in.

Surely looks really interesting to me and I'm actually looking forward to this one. I hope they surpass my expectations with this one.
Sep 15, 2021 9:07 AM

May 2015
The year is 1170, that is the year when Fujiwara no Motofusa's men was attacked and humiliated, so this is the year when the anime starts. I don't remember if it was mentioned but Biwa is the name of the lute, that is where the girl's name comes from. I liked it when she recited from the original Tale of the Heike (her intonation was very beautiful) but otherwise the anime had a very strange choice when it come to the soundtrack. The direction wasn't nearly that good as I expected from Yamada Naoko, the story was a bit rushed, but nonetheless it was a promising first episode.
I like McCullough's translation of the first lines of the Heike Monogatari more than the way it was translated in the anime:

The sound of the Gion Shōja bells echoes the impermanence of all things;
the color of the sāla flowers reveals the truth that the prosperous must decline.
The proud do not endure, they are like a dream on a spring night;
the mighty fall at last, they are as dust before the wind.

The sāla flower is the flower the was shown a few times in the show.
IshitatesoSep 15, 2021 9:31 AM
Sep 15, 2021 9:12 AM

Jul 2019
Really good stuff. Not sold on the overall story or premise of the show but it certainly has promise to be great, i really like the mc.
As expected of yamada, the overall production was stellar. Alot of great directing, and the whole episode had a ton of animation and movement. Ushio was great as well as expected from him. Very hyped to see where this goes.
Sep 15, 2021 9:17 AM

Mar 2018
I can definitely see the quality in this show. The artstyle is unique, the animation is solid, and the concepts for the story are already interesting, but everything else is all over the place. The OST has some good bits but some of the songs really don't fit the scene, the dialogue is often confusing, the direction often looks good but other times feels too sparse for an artsy show like this and the pacing seems bounces all over the place (from fathers death to having the kid already be friends with the boys is quite jarring to watch).

This could be solid show going forward, but for now it is just alright.
Sep 15, 2021 9:30 AM

Apr 2021
Interesting first episode
Sep 15, 2021 9:35 AM
Oct 2020
That was too beautiful. It's like Yamada, Takahata, and Yuasa worked altogether to create the first episode. Already worthy of 10/10.
Sep 15, 2021 9:42 AM

Nov 2020
yoo that was a good first episode. looking forward to more

Sep 15, 2021 9:43 AM

Sep 2020
i literally cried in the first five minutes. the animation, the direction and the soundtrack is already amazing.
  無限の                                                                     
Sep 15, 2021 9:46 AM
Sep 2021
This looks really fascinating. I've never seen a historical anime so far back in time, so it'll be interesting to learn a little bit more history.
Biwa is adorable! I wonder who the white-haired girl(?) is, she seems quite significant. Maybe Biwa grown up? I'm also curious what else Biwa might see with her eye, but it seems Tokuko will die in the future sometime, perhaps in that estate in the water. We'll have to see.
The art style is gorgeous! Has a little historical effect to it. Can't wait to see more.
Sep 15, 2021 9:51 AM

May 2021
Nice art style , had an nice start
The op was pretty good
sonu711Sep 29, 2021 8:27 AM
Sep 15, 2021 10:30 AM

Aug 2013
Even without the incredibly talented artists from KyoAni, Yamada's style shine easily wherever she goes and with whoever people she works with. Also, it good to see her new work has many old buddies of her working to make it as good as possible, good for Yamada too since they will make her feel at home to some extent. Since Saru's animation style fits her like a glove, which is surprising TBH.

Impeccable start, gonna be hard waiting every week for another episode, but highly excited nonetheless.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 15, 2021 10:32 AM
Feb 2021
this was a great episode , and this episode is like 8.5/10 the graphic , animation , music ,plot so good
Sep 15, 2021 10:35 AM

Dec 2019
The overall direction was incredible and the animation was stunning. The first 5 minutes had me hooked in all honesty. I can definitely see this being AOTS at least.
Sep 15, 2021 10:52 AM

Apr 2018
Looking forward for more episodes. Pretty interesting anime and I serously love the voice actors. Yuuki Aoi and Saori, perfect duo! The directors are amazing too so hopefully this anime will impress me even more.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Sep 15, 2021 11:03 AM
Jul 2019
This seems to be going to be my favorite anime this season. I am already in love with the artstyle and music. The story at this point is huge plus for me.

[]
Sep 15, 2021 11:04 AM
Mar 2010
Will this be released weekly starting from today?
Sep 15, 2021 11:09 AM

Aug 2013
excalibur977436 said:
Will this be released weekly starting from today?

From what I understand yes, consider it like an early fall season anime.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 15, 2021 11:37 AM

Aug 2020
The visual narrative was awesome and slice of life (comedic moments) were to the point also the animation are fluid and visual are incredibly beautiful as well as music is addicting .
Really looking forward to this series
Sep 15, 2021 11:54 AM

Mar 2018
cant wait for all the anitubers to suck this series off for being unwatched, good episode, 9/10
Sep 15, 2021 12:18 PM

Feb 2016
Nice first episode. It will recount the inevitable downfall of a mighty clan so I cant wait to see how things will play out
Sep 15, 2021 12:30 PM

Apr 2020
It's kinda interesting but m confused about what the premise is supposed to be
I don't know how signatures work

Sep 15, 2021 12:34 PM

Aug 2017
This look sooooo good. Loving it!
Sep 15, 2021 12:59 PM
Aug 2021
EstebanOD said:
It's kinda interesting but m confused about what the premise is supposed to be

It's a historical anime based on the classic Japanese tale Heike Monogatari that tells the downfall of Taira clan and the rise of the Minamoto clan a.k.a the Genpei War
Sep 15, 2021 1:19 PM

Aug 2021
wowowow first saru production without yuasa and they're KILLIN IT
Sep 15, 2021 1:21 PM

Jul 2011
I would guess is this a movie, based on the overall visual looks.
And the palette remembers me of Kaguya Hime.

This one have potential to be at the top of fall season.
Sep 15, 2021 1:23 PM

May 2021
The artistic sense was great and obviously pretty much reminiscent of the director's style. I think it was a bit convoluted? Like many events happening one after each other without a real sense of breath, but the point and information got through so I guess that is not much of a problem if it is just this episode that feels like this

Sep 15, 2021 1:41 PM
Feb 2020
That was incredible! It looked like a goddamn movie and I love the style. Naoko Yamadas direction is pretty obvious in some parts which is pretty cool and the OST sounds awesome. Definitely interesting. My only real complaint is that it felt really fast at some points.
Sep 15, 2021 3:31 PM

Feb 2020
Pretty interesting start. Great atmosphere, visuals and OST.
Sep 15, 2021 5:25 PM
Case is closed!

Jan 2019
The first episode is pretty nice! I love the historical stories of Japan. OP is great too!
Sep 15, 2021 5:30 PM

Sep 2018
That was quite special.

The character dynamics were just so good.

And even though the tone of the story is dark the humour worked well.

Quantum ille canis est in fenestra
Sep 15, 2021 6:09 PM

Jun 2021
Great episode 1

The animation definitely feels like a mixture of Yamada's style with Science SARU's animation. Not complaints, but obviously can't match Kyoto Animation when it comes to animation.

The story was interesting and episode 1 really flew by. The suspense building was very well done. At times, the story felt a little rushed, but I suppose that's necessary if they want to adapt such a dynamic story in 11 episodes.

I did enjoy the OP/ED, but I couldn't help but feel that the music felt a little out of place for a historic adaptation. Especially the upbeat guitar BGM they used around the 8:20 mark felt super awkward. Considering biwa is one of the main components of show, I'd figure they'd utilized that more.

What really made this episode great was the acting by Aoi Yuuki. My god, she can act. Even the non-dialogue sound she makes are just otherworldly. Really carried this episode.

Sep 15, 2021 7:38 PM

Jul 2017
Production wise, the first episode's pretty impressive but I won't lie, wasn't quite as blown away with the actual episode. It wasn't as obnoxious and forced as the Kaizoku Oujo premiere a few weeks back when it started airing, but it didn't particularly grab me. I will say though, it doesn't help that I'm in kind of a dry phase with anime now with not watching much until the fall season has a couple of shows I love. Hopefully I get more into this with future episodes. For how talented I can see Naoko Yamada is as a director, I want to eventually like one of her shows at some point. This one's by far the best opportunity so hopefully its more engaging with the next episodes.
Sep 15, 2021 7:39 PM

Aug 2018
It is interesting.
nice opening and very good ending.
Sep 15, 2021 8:08 PM

Aug 2016
My prediction is that this is going to end up being a companion piece with Yuasa's next film Inu-Oh coming out next year. There's a lot of interesting similarities between the two (they literally perform Heike Monogatari in Inu-Oh), and given that they were in development at the same time, I doubt that this is just a coincidence.
People who put MAL stats in their sigs are losers lol
Sep 15, 2021 8:16 PM

Aug 2016
A shame Yamada left Kyoani for this.
:v
Sep 15, 2021 8:27 PM

Aug 2018
extremely happy i stumbled upon this. i'm excited to see where this goes.

mogu mogu

🍙🍙
Sep 15, 2021 8:52 PM

Apr 2020
I was surprised when Bilibili notified me about this episode's release, didn't expect the pre-release to be so early. Watching it felt like attending a history class... in a good way. The plot was interesting especially with the eye to foresee the future which some characters inherit. Looking forward to seeing how the story will progress.
Sep 15, 2021 9:25 PM

Apr 2020
This is very promising and it looks great. The music and direction are pretty good as expected of Ushio and Yamada, but it could've used a bit more time to flesh the world and storyline. Nonetheless I'm interested to see how this unfolds.

beep boop bop pow
Sep 15, 2021 10:06 PM
Aug 2021
Loved the first episode. There's almost no wasted space, and I want to say that I can recognise Yamada's directorial touch, but I've actually only watched A Silent Voice... Visuals are great, music and voice acting are too. The unique fluidity of Science Saru's animation really comes through in the more comedic scenes, and the texture they give the rest of the scenes are very nice too.

I agree that it feels like there's very little breathing space with all the things that are happening, but I think that might be an issue of the premise. I'm not very well-educated on Japanese history, but I watched it on bilibili where the sub team did an amazing job with notes (and with the actual translation itself, expression of the register was on point). I'm willing to go along with it and see where it takes me though. I do wonder if it's just not that geared towards a foreign audience, and Japanese audiences have enough general knowledge that they don't experience any of the issues I'm feeling.
Sep 15, 2021 10:06 PM
Jan 2021
i am looking forward to the next episodes
Sep 15, 2021 11:31 PM
Jul 2021
Simple and great animation I really like the animation the first ep was a good introduction it was good I'm really excited to see the next episodes
Sep 15, 2021 11:45 PM
Oct 2013
Goodness. I was half expecting that the downgrade in visuals and chara designs will hold back the overall experience, but how wrong I am. I can never not get hyped with this director. In any other circumstances, I would've never be interested in historical settings. That cinematic-level presentations... This is just the first episode, and I don't know Science Saru's track records in terms of consistency compared to her previous home, but if this is the glimpse of the future going forward, I'm all in.
Sep 16, 2021 12:18 AM

Jul 2016
the animation is amazing. i was drawn to the colors from the start. the red hitatare worn by the five kaburo was so vivid across the earthy palette of the background, that you can't look away. the bright ocean teal of biwa's eye when she was forced to shut the other brown eye as it had been covered with (red) blood, which saw the ruin to befall the taira clan. i assume that biwa's father is a travelling performer, a biwa playing priest/monk. interestingly, biwa-hoshi were known for their narrating of the genpei war and the epic heike monogatari as they went. since the biwa itself is a story-telling instrument, to have the young mc named as "biwa", you are seeing the story told from her eyes (which in this adaptation, she can see the future with). at least that is what i think. a very nice detail i noticed is that in close-up shots, you can see the socket of the eyes below the eyeball. the eyeball itself isn't connected completely to the eyelid or eyelashes as well. my favorite part of this episode was the reading of half the lines from the opening verse of heike monogatari, with biwa accompaniment, and the white camellia of the sal tree blooming to drop alongside the words. it is fitting as this is the first episode, it is commencing the beginning of this series has begun.

now i have to buy funimation's subscription for probably three months straight, as this exists there. oh well.
Sep 16, 2021 3:38 AM

Jul 2015
This looks very promising
Sep 16, 2021 3:47 AM

May 2016
I'm 100% sure that if Biwa was a boy they will show her butt and Penis, but because she is a girl nothing will be shown lol.
Just like what happens in mushoku tensei when they show Rudy naked 😒
Anyway the anime seems promising, great opening and good ending themes and the story seems to be interesting + it's from studio science saru
Sep 16, 2021 4:58 AM

Mar 2017
Starting off the next season (or ending off this season?) with a banger. Fell in love already!
Sep 16, 2021 6:24 AM

Jul 2014
As expected from Naoko Yamada and Science SARU, this is off to a seriously strong start, already very promising on all fronts. Already really liking the characters, visuals and overall atmosphere of this episode, and I'm very interested to see how this progresses.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Heike Monogatari Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Nov 24, 2021

90 by GlacioD »»
Apr 27, 6:14 AM

» Why have the dates when this series aired been changed from the autumn of 2021 to the winter of 2022?

WatchTillTandava - Nov 16, 2022

5 by Rexnihilo »»
Apr 19, 7:22 PM

Poll: » Heike Monogatari Episode 5 Discussion

KANLen09 - Oct 13, 2021

35 by Andrzej2 »»
Apr 10, 5:07 PM

Poll: » Heike Monogatari Episode 7 Discussion

KANLen09 - Oct 27, 2021

26 by L01MK »»
Jan 14, 11:16 AM

Poll: » Heike Monogatari Episode 9 Discussion

KANLen09 - Nov 10, 2021

40 by Hydre_Ito »»
Dec 28, 2023 5:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.