Forum Settings
Forums

Dell won't ship energy-hungry PCs to California and other Blue States

New
Jul 26, 2021 6:45 PM

Jan 2021
Dell is no longer shipping energy-hungry gaming PCs to certain states in America because they demand more energy than local standards allow.

Customers seeking to purchase, for example, an Alienware Aurora Ryzen Edition R10 Gaming Desktop from Dell's website and have it shipped to California are now presented with a message that tells buyers they're out of luck.

"This product cannot be shipped to the states of California, Colorado, Hawaii, Oregon, Vermont or Washington due to power consumption regulations adopted by those states," the website says. "Any orders placed that are bound for those states will be canceled."

Dell confirmed to The Register that the California ban was down to power consumption regulations, saying: es, this was driven by the California Energy Commission (CEC) Tier 2 implementation that defined a mandatory energy efficiency standard for PCs – including desktops, AIOs and mobile gaming systems. This was put into effect on July 1, 2021. Select configurations of the Alienware Aurora R10 and R12 were the only impacted systems across Dell and Alienware"

TLDR You can't buy a high end gaming PC in Cali and other lefty states because MAHH ENERGY CONSUMPTION

https://www.theregister.com/2021/07/26/dell_energy_pcs/

https://nationalfile.com/green-new-deal-dell-stops-shipping-high-end-pcs-to-california-blue-states-that-ban-energy-inefficient-computers/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=green-new-deal-dell-stops-shipping-high-end-pcs-to-california-blue-states-that-ban-energy-inefficient-computers

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/osa5ug/california_is_banning_gaming_pcs_effective_july/
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Jul 26, 2021 6:58 PM

Feb 2021
This is the future though. Not only will energy be regulated, but so will water supplies, and even food products. This isn't a lefty issue though, because they aren't the party that has been denying global warming, resource scarcity, and other global issues since they've first been presented.

Things will get worse, because boomers were too lazy to fix anything, and it looks like our current generations are trending on a similar path.
"I eat beans" - Oda

Jul 26, 2021 7:01 PM

Aug 2009
I mean... It's Dell. Alienware is the bottom of the barrel as far as buying a desktop goes. So, the less of their crappy PC on the market, the less of their crappy PCs in landfills.

This is a win-win situation.

Jul 26, 2021 10:34 PM

Mar 2008
You can lower power consumption on computers without sacrificing performance though. For example keystrokes and mouse movement and clicks cant be converted into energy that helps power the PC which is perfectly useful for gaming. You even could have power generated from a chair from the little movements of someone shifting in their seat.
Jul 26, 2021 10:37 PM

Feb 2010
and nothing of value was lost. Imagine still going to Dell for gaming computer. everyone in the gaming pc community knows that Alienware computers are over priced. garbage. I don't even live in any of those states and still don't plan on buying from dell for my next PC there are so many cheeper BETTER gaming pcs out there it's laughable.

you are charged extra money for "brand loyalty." with alienware.

FacelessVixen said:
I mean... It's Dell. Alienware is the bottom of the barrel as far as buying a desktop goes. So, the less of their crappy PC on the market, the less of their crappy PCs in landfills.

This is a win-win situation.

it's funny that the OP some how thinks this remotely affects pc gamers in those states.

traed said:
You can lower power consumption on computers without sacrificing performance though. For example keystrokes and mouse movement and clicks cant be converted into energy that helps power the PC which is perfectly useful for gaming. You even could have power generated from a chair from the little movements of someone shifting in their seat.

i don't think we have that advanced kinetic energy generators yet, but i might be wrong.
GrimAtramentJul 26, 2021 10:42 PM
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Jul 26, 2021 10:54 PM

Jan 2021
It has more to do with the law surrounding the power consumption issue. Could not just be dell doing this but other big brand computer builders like Origin, Digital Storm, etc.
Jul 26, 2021 11:05 PM

Mar 2020
Lol Dell trying to make a statement but also stating that their dogshit PCs are "energy hungry", good job Dell.
Jul 26, 2021 11:11 PM

Mar 2008
Judevin said:
Lol Dell trying to make a statement but also stating that their dogshit PCs are "energy hungry", good job Dell.

It's not a statement, it's a legal requirement to avoid penalties.
Jul 26, 2021 11:12 PM

Oct 2012
The most shocking thing about this is that Dell is still in business.
Jul 27, 2021 2:59 AM
Jul 2018
Everybody shitting on alienware for their desktops but they have amazing laptops every once in a while. I got one for 1700$ with a 3060, 8 core proccesor (i forgot which one), 1tb nvme ssd, 32gb of ram, and a 300 nits display.
Jul 27, 2021 5:16 AM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
I cannot even tell the difference between high-end and low-end gaming PCs.

The entire thing is a scam, in my opinion. I remember playing World of Warcraft back in 2005-2006 with my friends, and the requirements were like 16 times lower than they are today. What has even changed since then? The graphics?

Also, AC:

Totally worth "investing" a few thousand dollars into a new "gaming PC" every few years. I might be ignorant, but objectively speaking, buying "high-end gaming PCs" is not smart either. We can make excellent games with good graphics that can be run by computers that are virtually free nowadays, yet somehow people are forced to waste their hard-earned money on these "energy hungry" machines and still be barely able to run modern games.

I am glad I am not a gamer.
149597871Jul 27, 2021 7:39 AM
Jul 27, 2021 9:36 AM

Jul 2015
JewPacSoKosher said:
149597871 said:
I cannot even tell the difference between high-end and low-end gaming PCs.

The entire thing is a scam, in my opinion. I remember playing World of Warcraft back in 2005-2006 with my friends, and the requirements were like 16 times lower than they are today. What has even changed since then? The graphics?

Also, AC:

Totally worth "investing" a few thousand dollars into a new "gaming PC" every few years. I might be ignorant, but objectively speaking, buying "high-end gaming PCs" is not smart either. We can make excellent games with good graphics that can be run by computers that are virtually free nowadays, yet somehow people are forced to waste their hard-earned money on these "energy hungry" machines and still be barely able to run modern games.

I am glad I am not a gamer.

High End gaming rigs really shine the most when mods come into play. Something like Skyrim can look like a different game with the textures and weather effects the modding community makes.
Game runs smoother too.

But yeah you're right for the most part. I'll even add that the majority of people on PC play indie games that look like retro games from the 90s.

Oh yeah the high res boobs skyrim mods. Who doesn't want to spend 3k bucks to run that?

Jul 27, 2021 10:08 AM

Mar 2021
Honestly, thinking through its not as bad as I initial thought. The group that’s buy prebuilt PC isn’t really concerned with high end gaming. And it’s 2021, if you really want a high end gaming PC you probably going to build it your self and source the power supply elsewhere.
Jul 27, 2021 11:01 AM

Oct 2013
Pdot20 said:
The most shocking thing about this is that Dell is still in business.

Enterprise sales help a lot. It's much easier to sell 1000 crappy office PCs to a non-technical person in a procurement department than to sell a single high powered machine to a tech-savvy enthusiast.

Beside that curious to see if we are going to see a black market emerge for these systems. Since they legalized weed maybe the dealers will switch to dealing PCs instead of other drugs...
Jul 27, 2021 11:17 AM

Jul 2015
JewPacSoKosher said:
Deathko said:

Oh yeah the high res boobs skyrim mods. Who doesn't want to spend 3k bucks to run that?

Still less than what you'll spend on a real girl

If you don't look desperate or have some deep rooted hatred towards women, you can walk away with a girl AND have her pay the bill. Looking back, I don't think I actually lost money from any of my relationships. Paid some bills, didn't pay the others, made some gifts, received some.
This said I wasn't counting every euro trying to find a 20 cents unbalance in the comptability to confirm my prejudices against women... Maybe I actually lost a couple hundreds euros trying to make people I genuinely liked happy. Oh my. How awful. I think I'll just sit on my chair for the next decade and stop socializing to avoid paying a drink.
Jul 27, 2021 11:30 AM

Nov 2008
California doesn't want anything decent these days, they do realize that California is a hub for streaming, and streaming requires high end equipment. No wonder streamers are starting to leave the state. I am disappointed with Colorado though, they know better not to fall for California's garbage policies.

Jul 27, 2021 12:08 PM

May 2016
No wonder people leave california at record rates.

I always put all my computers at FULL performance mode.
I hope the world ends in what is it now? 6 years aoc said.
Jul 27, 2021 12:41 PM

Jan 2009
Home computers need barely any consumption compared to stuff like deep-freezers and ovens. By that logic, we should rather eat cold or room-tempered food only and stop with the deep-frozen food-rationing and would save way more energy than with going without any computer

Also, I wonder whether those rules are also for company computers or those used in science and other fields
Jul 27, 2021 1:34 PM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
hazarddex said:
and nothing of value was lost. Imagine still going to Dell for gaming computer. everyone in the gaming pc community knows that Alienware computers are over priced. garbage. I don't even live in any of those states and still don't plan on buying from dell for my next PC there are so many cheeper BETTER gaming pcs out there it's laughable.

Alienware is overpriced garbage, however Dell is actually selling decent XPS model gaming desktops that frankly would cost more to build yourself (mainly due to having to buy a scalped up graphics card).
Jul 27, 2021 2:10 PM

Aug 2009
Dell will probably won't be the only one stopping the shipment of "power hungry" devices to blue states. It could be the makers of pc parts and other electronics companies that stop shipping "power hungry" devices to blue states so you can't just say "fuck Dell I'll build my own high end gaming pc from scratch". Heck the companies may not just stop with PCs it could be other electronics or even tools that don't get shipped to blue states.
ezikialrageJul 28, 2021 1:54 AM
Jul 27, 2021 2:44 PM

Mar 2008
Noboru said:
Home computers need barely any consumption compared to stuff like deep-freezers and ovens. By that logic, we should rather eat cold or room-tempered food only and stop with the deep-frozen food-rationing and would save way more energy than with going without any computer

Also, I wonder whether those rules are also for company computers or those used in science and other fields

This makes no sense whatsoever. Ovens use more wattage but no one is running them like many gamers do for majority of their waking hours. Deep freezers use only about as much power as the lower end of PC gaming wattage consumption. Plus you can hardly compare something for leasure with something vital to human survival and safety. Eating a bunch of fresh raw food would just greatly increase carbon emissons unless it was all grown at home but you still need it cooked to make some nutrients bioavailable.

In future programmers and CPU and GPU designers could be mindful of power consumption to optimize everything.
Jul 27, 2021 3:01 PM

Jan 2009
@traed: you can run 10 computers 24/7 at the same time and you will still consume less energy than one time cooking

I doubt that cooling something on a very low temperature requires that low energy

My point is that vital stuff require way more energy than leisure stuff

If we really want to save on energy, we should get back to gas oven cooking instead of using an electric oven
Jul 27, 2021 3:17 PM

Mar 2008
@Noboru
Ovens use about 2,000 to 5,000 watts per hour. PC gaming uses 300 to 500 watts per hour. So it depends. Most food people cook cooks in no more than half an hour. Only things like roasts and a whole turmey take hours to cook which arent a main staple for the average day. The average gamer plays 8 and a half hours.
https://www.techrepublic.com/article/8-hours-and-27-minutes-thats-how-long-the-average-gamer-plays-each-week/

Even at lowest power usage for gaming on a PC that comes to 2,550 watts. For the highest wattage oven which unless I am doing wrong math for this would have used about 2,500 watts. Gaming uses more power than cooking food before I even point out most ovens arent 5,000 watts.

What you beleive is true is irrelevant because it doesnt change fact the average freezer uses 350 watts. No one sets their freezer to coldest setting because if you owned a freezer you would know it ices up and damages the food. Coldest setting is just for when you first freeze food and want it frozen quickly but few people bother and just keep it the same medium temperature

Unless someone's electric company uses coal cooking with gas would not be more environmentally friendly. Though im not sure on specifics without looking it up.
traedJul 27, 2021 3:27 PM
Jul 27, 2021 3:29 PM

Jan 2009
@traed: This sounds way too little for getting something at over 100°C (boiling point at normal pressure)
There is also the time and energy needed to get the high temperatures in the first place, plus, quite some stuff need definitely longer than just half an hour of cooking/putting in the oven
There is more than just putting a pizza in the oven or cooking noodles/other simple stuff that don't require that much time and energy
Beef meet for example needs to cook way longer than just half an hour

And I don't mean the type of freezers to keep food cool you're gonna eat tomorrow or within a few weeks, but the type of deep-freezer that has -18°C or -0.4°F

And about your edit: nothing is really environment-friendly. The solar-panels are from a problematic material and heat up the air temperature of the near vicinity, the air turbines are dangerous for birds and stuff and water plants also not really environment-friendly. Then there is also the issue with the transport
NoboruJul 27, 2021 3:34 PM
Jul 27, 2021 7:17 PM

Jan 2009
its for the better since branded computers are also overprice with their premium pricing tactic anyway

just build it yourself that high end gaming PC if that is still allowed
Jul 27, 2021 10:49 PM
Jun 2019
Noboru said:

I think what is trying to be said is that no excessive/unnecessary electricity consumption, if a deep-freezer needs to use a lot of electricity to perform its role then it is fine.
Jul 28, 2021 2:10 AM

Mar 2008
Noboru said:
@traed: This sounds way too little for getting something at over 100°C (boiling point at normal pressure)
There is also the time and energy needed to get the high temperatures in the first place, plus, quite some stuff need definitely longer than just half an hour of cooking/putting in the oven
There is more than just putting a pizza in the oven or cooking noodles/other simple stuff that don't require that much time and energy
Beef meet for example needs to cook way longer than just half an hour

And I don't mean the type of freezers to keep food cool you're gonna eat tomorrow or within a few weeks, but the type of deep-freezer that has -18°C or -0.4°F

And about your edit: nothing is really environment-friendly. The solar-panels are from a problematic material and heat up the air temperature of the near vicinity, the air turbines are dangerous for birds and stuff and water plants also not really environment-friendly. Then there is also the issue with the transport

It's only like 15 to 20 minutes per pound at around 375°F even for a roast unless slow roasted. Even if we say an hour cook time or bit more which is an average apparently maybe bit more with an average wattage of 3,000watts per hour you come to amount still lower than the averages for gamers if we use a 400 watt per hour average.

That's what I was talking about. That's normal freezer temperature.

Again it makes no sense to put gaming on the same level as basic necessities for living to begin with.

Air turbines dangerous for birds is a meme. Coal, natural gas and nuclear all kill more birds. Solar panels are irrelevant considering they often are placed on dark rooftops anyway that have the same effect. Dams sure but not other forns of water power if done with thought. Like I said earlier you even can convert kinetic energy from for example gaming itself into a power source.

JewPacSoKosher said:

Since you're talking about ovens, freezers and watts, I think you forgot about central air conditioning. Most people run those 24/7 in Cali since its so hot. We're talking around 3500 watts per hour for an average home. Maybe less, but maybe a lot more too depending on how big your home is.

That's just central air. If you wanna talk about window shakers that anyone can pick up and install for 150$, thats around 800 or so per hour for a tiny room.

Air conditioning helps protect from heat stroke. Some people make it too cool though.

Not all AC is equal in power consumption. There is geothermal for example and evaporate coolers both being more environmentally friendly and suitable for places like California. You can reduce AC usage and winter heating by how homes are designed which is something that needs to become more common. Temperatures of cities also can be brought down by city design such as materials used and colours that reflect sunlight back up more etc...
Jul 28, 2021 2:49 AM

Jul 2015
1.) Why would you buy overpriced alienware prebuilts. If you pay 1k for a PC with an i5 and gtx 1650, you got scammed.
2.) Bill is unenforceable for people who just buy parts individually. Don't tell me people are going to be checking you for 1000+ watt PSU's when you cross a state now.

Jul 28, 2021 8:29 AM

Jan 2009
traed said:
It's only like 15 to 20 minutes per pound at around 375°F even for a roast unless slow roasted.
You only put pizza around that temperature. We put most stuff at around 320°F and it takes at least around 1h for most stuff to finish

traed said:
That's what I was talking about. That's normal freezer temperature.
How small is that deep-freezer? Surely not a whole dedicated device as big as at least a normal fridge with multiple freezing boxes or do you mean just one small freezing box inside a fridge/freezer combination?
Here are some values:

https://www.cherrylandelectric.coop/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/consumption_guide_0.pdf

Also, many households don't have the newest models, so the consumption is rather higher in reality.

Again it makes no sense to put gaming on the same level as basic necessities for living to begin with.
Also @SENDMERWBYPICS:
This was just an example on how "basic necessities" require way more consumption. Though it can be questionable what actually counts as "basic". In theory, we could go without deep-freezers or share them with more people and would save way more energy that way. And before optimizing computer power-consumption, it's already a bigger step to change the freezer first if it's old
If there is anything with the recreational electronics that requires lots of energy, then it's the screens and especially big, TV ones

Dams sure but not other forns of water power if done with thought. Like I said earlier you even can convert kinetic energy from for example gaming itself into a power source.
Believe what you want, I see that those forms of energy are not without downsides. And if you have a good idea, execute it and try to market it

There is also a lot to save on energy if we just stop with the MRNA-vaccines or COVID-19 vaccines in general or at least: only restrict to giving non-MRNA vaccines to the risk groups and those working with them:

In Brazil, the average annual energy consumption of each individual is 2294.8 kWh, and the energy needed to store the seven billion doses of Pfizer–BioNTech vaccine would be the same as that needed to annually power a city of 576,662 inhabitants. The same calculus for storing the seven billion doses of Oxford–AstraZeneca vaccine would similarly power a city of 61,710 inhabitants

https://www.mdpi.com/1996-1073/14/7/1849/htm#

inb4 people come and say how those vaccines are necessary against a virus that over 99.98% of people survive and where most fatalities include people over 70 or over 80
NoboruJul 28, 2021 10:39 AM
Jul 28, 2021 10:17 AM

Nov 2013
don't you just love political correctness
mind, body & SOUL

Aug 3, 2021 9:34 AM

Sep 2010
traed said:
Ovens use about 2,000 to 5,000 watts per hour. PC gaming uses 300 to 500 watts per hour. So it depends. Most food people cook cooks in no more than half an hour. Only things like roasts and a whole turmey take hours to cook which arent a main staple for the average day. The average gamer plays 8 and a half hours.
https://www.techrepublic.com/article/8-hours-and-27-minutes-thats-how-long-the-average-gamer-plays-each-week/

Even at lowest power usage for gaming on a PC that comes to 2,550 watts. For the highest wattage oven which unless I am doing wrong math for this would have used about 2,500 watts. Gaming uses more power than cooking food before I even point out most ovens arent 5,000 watts.
Excuse me, but it looks like your math is wrong. So, average gamer spend about 1 (one) hour and 12 minutes a day on gaming? I cook for myself only, and though I never actually recorded how much time I usually spend on cooking, but it surely more than 72 minutes a day, more like two hours. That include three meals on a working day, with time spent on boiling water for tea or coffee also counting because it's also uses energy. On weekends and holidays I might spend more, cooking more elaborate meals or eating more than 3 times a day (you know, they say it's better to eat less but often), and drinking tea or coffee more often (might spent less if I'm going out for a whole day, but that's not often). And that's only for a single human. Granted, sometimes I get lazy and eat microwave foods or instant ramen, but that's rare.

There is such thing as shit taste. Only idiots think that every "work of art" should have the same value.

Persona anime are good. Deal with it.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.