Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Jul 26, 2021 9:07 PM

Sep 2016
welp. that was certainly something.
Jul 28, 2021 6:21 AM
Aug 2020
i liked it very much, 1st episode was a banger
Jul 28, 2021 6:21 AM
Aug 2020
i liked it very much, 1st episode was a banger
Jul 29, 2021 2:50 PM
May 2020
episode 1 was certainly something to say the very least
Jul 30, 2021 1:30 PM

Apr 2020
That last scene really caught me off guard..

┌─❈❇❈─┐

└─❈❇❈─┘

Jul 30, 2021 3:48 PM

Aug 2020
Damn, I forgot that I was waiting for this series to air and I just caught up. I haven't read the manga so I wasn't expecting any of this, I'm absolutely in love with the art style, animation and the writing so far.

Jul 31, 2021 12:53 PM

Oct 2015
I laughed at the last scene and I don't think it was intentional. Lol that was so goofy and nonsensical. Trying to get that Goblin/Redo crowd, huh? It seems subtlety and talent are a dying art. Nowadays edge and shock factor is all there is.
Jul 31, 2021 6:21 PM
Feb 2021
The art style is absolutely beautiful, I really like it. Story wise it's just okay so far, but that's fine since it's only the first episode. That ending tho. It's very difficult to get a laugh out of a rape scene, but they got one from me.
Aug 1, 2021 10:31 AM

Aug 2009
Seems like ever since Goblin Slayer and Redo every normie out there just realized that anime with rape scenes exist...where the fuck were you for so many years?

Well works for me I guess. Fin out those normies so that we dont get 70% of threads of butthurt comments.

And only rape is bad.

/rant

Aug 1, 2021 2:37 PM

Jul 2013
Yeah, this show ain't for me.

Though I must say I find people's opinion of the rape scene worse than the scene itself.

Rape isn't funny. It's weird to me I even have to say that. Pedophilia isn't funny, torture isn't funny, murder isn't funny, none of the dark shitty parts of human suffering are funny, and any show that leans into that is not my cup of tea. Any people who look at that and laugh are demented, and I'm happy they live on the internet and far from me. Yeah, those are the kinda people I steer clear from for both our sakes.

Ultimately, that scene wasn't why I dropped though. I just don't really like the characters. They're all kind of assholes, and I just know I'd be more annoyed than anything watching this. Except glasses guy and maybe Rin. So yeah, just my two or three cents and I'm on to watch shows that fit my own sense of entertainment a bit better.

Edit: Also want to add that despite the characters and the rape scene, the art work and character designs are really cool. I particularly liked the character designs of Rin, the blonde ponytailed girl of the ED, and the black haired pigtailed girl. So they did that really well.

I also really like the soundtrack.

One thing I didn't like was the soundscape for the fight scenes. For some reason the fight scenes did not pack any punch for me, and even the parts that should have been satisfying did not deliver. Mostly because you never really heard the impact of the hits. It reminded me a lot of this Chinese animated show on Netflix about this overpowered highschooler. The visuals are awesome, but the audio backing it up doesn't really live up to it in my opinion.
mangaka-ishAug 1, 2021 2:56 PM
Aug 2, 2021 11:25 AM
Mar 2021
1st episode did not dissapoint tbh I already love the anime and the opening is fire and i actually really like the animation i feel like its very unique and fits the anime pretty well
Aug 2, 2021 12:45 PM

Jun 2020
Damn. That was an amazing first episode. Animation is pretty unique. The ending was sad tho.

Did Eve sing the OP? And the music in the show is pretty dope. Who composed that? Mal needs to update the staff list.
Aug 2, 2021 1:15 PM

Mar 2017
Great animation, cool characters, fun fight scenes, interesting story.

Really stupid and terrible depiction of rape.

If a story has rape in it and it is handled well, then sure, whatever. I don't want to see it, but it's good to talk about and bring awareness or whatever purpose the author wanted to have it serve.

But you can't just make light of a horrible situation and have it occur randomly when everything that came before it was pretty lighthearted. It's just bad shock value.

Will continue but that slip-up is a stain on what otherwise would've been a great show. Seems like nothing else like that happens according to some manga readers...

Aug 3, 2021 2:17 AM
Mar 2016
Merve2Love said:
dkdumpling said:

Ah yes, a Nun gets raped and prays to god for salvation while the soldiers dance over her violated body.

How fucking funny.

You don't find it funny? :(
Oh noooooooeeeeeee....Mappa needs to cancel the Show. Everyone, dumbling doesn't like it. That's a wrap.

Oh wait....Mappa...and Japan are not giving a flying FK about you and the offense you take in fictional storytelling. THANK.GOD.

Of course Japan is country of rapiest they will find it funny. I mean they even did that in WW2 to China and Korea lol.😂🤣
Kcjpunk_01Aug 3, 2021 2:22 AM
Aug 3, 2021 2:31 AM
Mar 2016
Rape scene was weired af. I seen enough rape scenes from so many manga and few anime but that was weired and the story I don't get it is it trying to be comedic and action or dark and action.

It's really strange Japan is supposed to be Buddhist yet they don't show any karama happens in any anime I watch. All those rapiest in real world will be reborn as cockroaches live pathatic life
Aug 5, 2021 12:51 AM

Dec 2020
op reminds me of mp100 a bit, in a good way tho i like it a lot. also really like the coloring style tho im probably a bit biased because of how i tend to like styles that aren't "anime-y" quicker.

story is prety interesting, comedy works well with me, characters are fine none that i Like at the moment but none of them are annoying either, im definitely gonna enjoy this every week.

skipped through that rpe scene, not looking forward to watching any more of those. one thing im ??? about is how the characters tell and now show, the glasses guy literally just told us what we could've easily figured out ourselves lol. same with the professor, they can just play the dialogues normally i dont get why they're doing it as if what's happening is hard to figure out kinda bugs me a bit
Aug 5, 2021 1:37 PM
Nov 2017
Kcjpunk_01 said:
Merve2Love said:

You don't find it funny? :(
Oh noooooooeeeeeee....Mappa needs to cancel the Show. Everyone, dumbling doesn't like it. That's a wrap.

Oh wait....Mappa...and Japan are not giving a flying FK about you and the offense you take in fictional storytelling. THANK.GOD.

Of course Japan is country of rapiest they will find it funny. I mean they even did that in WW2 to China and Korea lol.😂🤣

Ohh wow this idiot right here.

You from Sri Lanka where one of the most brutal wars, civil conflict happened a few decades ago where all kinds of atrocities, cruel stuff, raping, pillaging, murder, GENOCIDE took place.

Could I make a hypothetical, broad generalization and say your country is one full of rapists and murderers despite most of you being practicers of buddhism and hinduism?

No country has an innocent past, not a single one in the world, but you prick took a cheap shot at the whole of japanese society saying they enjoy rape.

What a dumbass, racist, ignorant asshole you are.
Aug 6, 2021 1:01 AM
Jun 2019
I had zero interest in this until I discovered the creative connection with Dragon Maid and Peach Boy Riverside. So glad I did. This is amazing. Funny and brutal. Surprising.
Aug 6, 2021 2:18 AM
Apr 2013
mangaka-ish said:
Though I must say I find people's opinion of the rape scene worse than the scene itself.

This pretty much sums up any and all barbs thrown back and forth by watchers of anime with any controversial scenes ever.

It always boils down to two camps:

Camp One - Shut Up, Snowflake! It's a cartoon, grow some balls!

Camp Two - You're defending that/You found that funny?! You may need to seek help.

I think the issue is how people consume media - some can completely detach themselves from what they are watching (perhaps due to a lack of imagination, in some cases extreme callousness) while others have so much empathy towards suffering it doesn't really matter if what they are watching is "a Cartoon, dude." (I fall into this camp, btw).

Neither side can comprehend what the other is thinking or feeling because they may not have what the other does (High Empathy or High Tolerance).

Sometimes it may just be emotions clouding everything.

So while to me the problem with Episode 1 is not that it included a rape scene but clearly the way said scene was handled, people who felt nothing at all from that scene, (or worse, felt the complete opposite of what a person with empathy would feel) would argue "Hey, this is a zany cartoon with dark subject matter..." (which is valid), and not follow up with anything that shows they have a beating heart or watch other genres outside of Shounen Battle anime.

It probably says something that you probably wouldn't find a female viewer on here going "Ahahaha, that scene was hilarious!" / "Rape happens in war all the time, dude, get over yourself" (why is this even a defense?)

Aug 8, 2021 8:34 PM

Jan 2020
hmstr said:
avianworld said:
Wasn't expecting that last scene. Got pretty dark real damn quick.

It ruined the episode completely for me, what a shitty mood destroyer for what looked like a good anime inicially.

I agree with you completely. I was disgusted by that and thought that was unnecessary but oh well. Also, I don’t get why that troll Venumidas thinks there’s something wrong with you sharing your opinion. Anyway the rest of the episode was pretty good and the characters, especially Hayato, seem like kinda likeable.
Aug 10, 2021 1:15 PM

Jul 2013
ollythirteen said:
mangaka-ish said:

This pretty much sums up any and all barbs thrown back and forth by watchers of anime with any controversial scenes ever.

It always boils down to two camps:

Camp One - Shut Up, Snowflake! It's a cartoon, grow some balls!

Camp Two - You're defending that/You found that funny?! You may need to seek help.

I think the issue is how people consume media - some can completely detach themselves from what they are watching (perhaps due to a lack of imagination, in some cases extreme callousness) while others have so much empathy towards suffering it doesn't really matter if what they are watching is "a Cartoon, dude." (I fall into this camp, btw).

Neither side can comprehend what the other is thinking or feeling because they may not have what the other does (High Empathy or High Tolerance).

Sometimes it may just be emotions clouding everything.

So while to me the problem with Episode 1 is not that it included a rape scene but clearly the way said scene was handled, people who felt nothing at all from that scene, (or worse, felt the complete opposite of what a person with empathy would feel) would argue "Hey, this is a zany cartoon with dark subject matter..." (which is valid), and not follow up with anything that shows they have a beating heart or watch other genres outside of Shounen Battle anime.

It probably says something that you probably wouldn't find a female viewer on here going "Ahahaha, that scene was hilarious!" / "Rape happens in war all the time, dude, get over yourself" (why is this even a defense?)

I 100% agree with your take. You pretty much got to the heart of it for me.

I can't detach from it. It's similar to how some people still tell rape jokes. It's not funny to me, and never will be.
Aug 12, 2021 11:58 PM
Mar 2016
RickSuarez said:
Kcjpunk_01 said:

Ohh wow this idiot right here.

You from Sri Lanka where one of the most brutal wars, civil conflict happened a few decades ago where all kinds of atrocities, cruel stuff, raping, pillaging, murder, GENOCIDE took place.

Could I make a hypothetical, broad generalization and say your country is one full of rapists and murderers despite most of you being practicers of buddhism and hinduism?

No country has an innocent past, not a single one in the world, but you prick took a cheap shot at the whole of japanese society saying they enjoy rape.

What a dumbass, racist, ignorant asshole you are.

civil conflict ??? Fighting with fucking terrorist is civil conflict? those same terroirst burn villages kill so many Innocent peoples and we just kill the terrorist leader and yet you called that GENOCIDE? look at this dumb joker spawing nonsense shit. did you even look at the fucking news? I do agree there was fucked up cases happens in around 1980 but I can at least say we didn't go around mass raping kids from another country unlike Japan. just google you dipshit what fucked up things Japan did in ww2.
Aug 26, 2021 12:41 PM

Nov 2013
I knew there was a rape-scene in episode 1, but now I feel bad to have felt relief that the victim wasn't the girl talking to birds...
Aug 27, 2021 3:01 PM
Oct 2016
Fantastic first episode, i'm immediately hooked. The animation, the characters, the comedy, the choreography, all great. Did't expect the last scene, that's definitely the most artsy rape-scene i have seen.
Aug 30, 2021 10:17 AM
Aug 2021
Ga bisa ingris.

Overall saat inI gua suka ni anime, gua fikir art dan pewarnaan seperti ini pernah tranding sekitar tahun 2019-2020.

Hanya Lagu Opening dan Ending yang mendunia saja, menurut gua udah terlanjur sangat bagus. Sehingga gua tidak peduli lagi hal yang gua tidak suka disini, iaitu ceritanya, tokoh utama yang terkesan biasa -biasa aja, scene cermin di opening yang bagi gua klise dan pause saat rehat iklan yang jelek.

Tapi... Lagunya tidak nge-dash, 9/10 aja dulu. Mending bikin kaya Yoasobi aja ceritanya. Apapun kita liat episode 2-nya dulu.

Salken. Jangan marah,ya.
Aug 30, 2021 6:32 PM
Jul 2016
I fucking adored Ishuzoku Reviewers, which actually had a pretty progressive outlook on consent and sexuality (in spite of all the baseless memes on here about "oh I bet the librul SJWs haet this one"), so going into this anime blind was a definite shock

The second episode was better and another thread further down indicates nothing that gratuitous happens again, but if this show doesn't really grab me by the third or fourth episode I'd have hard time recommending it to anyone
Aug 31, 2021 8:01 PM

Nov 2009
Forgot about this series,

decide to watch it...

looks interesting with the trio, from the summaries it sounded like they'll be fighting against demons that gets revived...

then the end of ep 1... another rape scene... fk this.... too many new series these days always includes a rape scene in episode 1... stop.. it might look interesting to eastern viewers, but rape is not fun to western viewers (mostly, cause some ppls think rape is a comedy or accepted if the anime is labeled 18+...)
amlgAug 31, 2021 8:08 PM
Nothing Written Here But Us Anime Bunnies *boing boing boing*
Sep 5, 2021 8:25 AM

Jul 2012
This is why I'm glad Japan doesn't usually cater to Western audiences, it has a sexually graphic scene that has been toned down from the manga right at the end and still half the discussion has turned into a cesspool (a lot of it from one person). Never mind characters literally getting stabbed through the heart or their head knocked off. The show is bright and colourful but has a dark undertone that is interesting to me, creators shouldn't have to walk on eggshells to appease everyone.
Are we supposed to remove rape from every form of media and pretend it doesn't exist?

Now moving away from that topic; I think this was a really good first episode to set everything up and showcase what it is about, art style is definitely a standout and is what brought me to this anime in the first place as I had passed over it initially only reading the description and thinking it sounded a little generic but they have me interested.
Sep 6, 2021 3:15 AM

Jun 2019
exLightning said:
This is why I'm glad Japan doesn't usually cater to Western audiences, it has a sexually graphic scene that has been toned down from the manga right at the end and still half the discussion has turned into a cesspool (a lot of it from one person). Never mind characters literally getting stabbed through the heart or their head knocked off. The show is bright and colourful but has a dark undertone that is interesting to me, creators shouldn't have to walk on eggshells to appease everyone.
Are we supposed to remove rape from every form of media and pretend it doesn't exist?

Now moving away from that topic; I think this was a really good first episode to set everything up and showcase what it is about, art style is definitely a standout and is what brought me to this anime in the first place as I had passed over it initially only reading the description and thinking it sounded a little generic but they have me interested.

It's just the same streak of Western Puritanism/reactionary conservative Protestantism updated for the 21st century into the veneer of secular liberal clothing. It's the same impulses and tendencies, just twisted around arguments from people who likely would have been making the same calls to purge art of sexual content centuries ago.
Sep 9, 2021 12:35 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Something about this just feels off. Like it looks like it's going to be a really fun time, but somehow it's really... stiff? Like, I didn't have fun watching this at all. The characters really didn't hit for me. Nor did... well... anything.

I'll have to pass on this.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Sep 10, 2021 10:43 PM
Jan 2016
Wtf I was not expecting that girl to get ganged at the end. Why was that needed?
Sep 14, 2021 6:52 AM

Jul 2015
dkdumpling said:
hmstr said:

fr thats what i said too

I'm not a snowflake by any means but the people here seem to be misunderstanding what can be classified as humour and what is just actual sociopathic behaviour. There were people defending redo of healer and that anime (if you can even call it that) is just the protagonist raping an innocent woman. What the fuck has to be wrong with you mentally to defend that?

How was the woman innocent though? We literally saw the things she did to him.
Sep 14, 2021 7:01 AM

Jul 2015
NextUniverse said:
I see now that people are very shocked at that ending. Idk if I should be surprised at myself for not being phased at all or if this reaches another Goblin Slayer hate lol.

Anyways, to each their own.

I’m not sure why people are shocked when we had Redo of Healer at the beginning of the year.
Sep 18, 2021 6:02 PM

Oct 2020
First, the opening is another level, as soon as I heard it it made me remember the opening number 3 of Full Metal Alquemist, amazing.

It seemed to me like a story with an animation that, being a mixture of different animes, makes it original.

It leaves you with a lot of intrigue between who are the good guys and who are the bad guys, plus the rape scene at the end is brutal.
Otaku sin ser otaku.
- Mauricio RH
Sep 20, 2021 5:21 PM

Jul 2014
Tempted to drop for pulling that shit at the end out of fucking nowhere.
Oct 1, 2021 6:12 PM

May 2018
Raping a nun?! Oh, gods! Their descent into hell is gonna bust it wide open.

"Are you intoxicated, or just insane?"
Oct 10, 2021 1:24 AM

Jul 2015
Opening song is quite the acid trip but the story itself seems interesting so far. A lot of comedic moments until the nun rape scene happened at the end which honestly kinda shocked me with how artsy they made it, sadly takes all seriousness out of it in my opinion.

Oct 20, 2021 11:20 AM

Dec 2017
The amount of people complaining about the rape scene and it being not okay to have in the show is actually depressing. There are so many snowflakes in the world these days it is insane.... Yeah it is not a light topic or okay thing to do irl.. NO SHIT but it is a fucking SHOW FFS.... Do not take all the things you hear and see to heart, it is meant to create these disturbing emotions in you, that is what makes shows good - using scenes to make you feel a certain way. And the argument that they made the soldiers laugh and animation weird during it made it even more fucked is straight up retarded. The show is artsy/unusual in the way they use animation and visuals to stand out and again now you might think "oh but they made light of the situation", who the fuck cares? It is FICTIONAL NOT REAL. If you cannot diffirentiate between those two then YOU need help not others.

If you dislike the scene having that animation because it differs from the manga, then sure that is a fair point but imo this suits the shows vibe more.

And to those that just dislike the scene and are not acting like the show should be cancelled or things like these should not be showed. This rant was not aimed towards you, mainly aimed it at the twitter type beat cancel culture.

Also sorry for all the Typos/grammar mistakes.
BooOOoO! SPoOoooKY! >:o(-(
Oct 20, 2021 9:44 PM

Jan 2011
This show has serious nudity & gore - rated Seinen so not intended for children duh.

That last scene was so tame and barely even showed anything, if you're an adult god forbid you happen upon how fucked the real world is let alone unable to handle pixels on a screen, this may be out of your age bracket if that happens to shatter your fragile world view. Don't google Forced Hentai Genre lmao.

Bless the eastern creators for not making dumbed down PC BS, there's plenty of that already in the gutters where it belongs. These shows with gore, nudity & controversial scenes are a real treat for how few there are, makes things far more interesting - really scratches that same itch that Dorohedoro did.

Oct 29, 2021 8:03 PM

Aug 2016
Why did I bother reading any of this thread, it's about as "MAL" as MAL could be.
Dec 20, 2021 1:30 PM

Apr 2016
Wow, this thread is just hilarious. All the tears of people who can't get over other people actually enjoying this anime. XD
It feels like how people go completely apeshit once there's NTR (or just assumed NTR) in a series. ^^'

Btw, I'm a high empathy person, but I'm also a high tolerance person and can discern between reality and fiction. If you enjoy brutal acts in fiction, you're still A OK in my book. You do that stuff to irl people? That's a clear no.

Came here because I recently binged the manga and wanted to see how the anime did. Was not disappointed so far. Hilarious all the way and the OP rocks. Ready for episode 2! ^^
Pit93Dec 20, 2021 1:40 PM
Jan 8, 2022 11:09 AM
Nov 2020
Been looking forward to this one! Can't wait to see more from Idaten, it's already pretty interesting and very refreshing to see a different art style.
Jan 17, 2022 12:09 AM

Jun 2009
Holy shit, Horie Yui voicing a main character? Did I travel back in time to 15 years ago or what? I wish she would get more roles again, she is so talented.
Feb 7, 2022 11:53 AM
Apr 2014
Wow. That's the scene you end the first episode with? Not gonna lie. That's a pretty bold move.

Rest was pretty cool to watch. I like the art style. Could need a bit more suspense IMO but the voice actors give me enough reason to keep watching anyway. It's been a while for me to have Romi Park AND Yui Horie as main character voices. Megumi Ogata had amazing performances in Danganronpa as well (at least in the game. not sure how good it was in the show). So I'm looking forward to this!
Nov 1, 2022 8:03 PM
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Feb 2012
I love the color palette in this series. Gonna look forward to seeing if they change up the style each episode.

And man, I expected this series to be action packed silly comedy. That ending is completely unexpected for me.
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." ⛩️

Mar 16, 2023 12:11 AM
Mar 2020
Everything was fine until the last "nun" scene, it turned very dark, i got shook
Dec 19, 2023 7:28 AM
Jan 2021
very good first episode i enjoyed it
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Heion Sedai no Idaten-tachi Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Sep 20, 2021

68 by zerodths »»
Apr 6, 11:44 AM

Poll: » Heion Sedai no Idaten-tachi Episode 7 Discussion

KANLen09 - Aug 26, 2021

44 by zerodths »»
Apr 6, 10:06 AM

Poll: » Heion Sedai no Idaten-tachi Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Aug 12, 2021

79 by zerodths »»
Apr 5, 4:49 PM

Poll: » Heion Sedai no Idaten-tachi Episode 4 Discussion

KANLen09 - Aug 5, 2021

48 by zerodths »»
Apr 5, 4:27 PM

Poll: » Heion Sedai no Idaten-tachi Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Jul 29, 2021

74 by zerodths »»
Apr 5, 4:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.