Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 26, 2021 5:13 PM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well the movie is out online, you can sail the high seas or watch it on Hidive up to you, I personally enjoyed the movie all things considered. It wasn't super good, it was more like an average, but longer in length, episode of the original season. This is fine though, the future movies will add on to this film and I am sure it will get better over time.

I definitely loved seeing the main cast again, especially ange and chisato, they are just so amazingly cute. Their world is as interesting as ever, I do hope they explore it more since I love the setting.
May 26, 2021 5:35 PM

Feb 2020
Ah, good to see the spy girls again. Shadows and Fog (flute version) fit very well for the beginning!

OP not as enjoyable as the first, but still very nice to listen to. It's Void_Chords, after all.

So we meet this Bishop guy, or Winston, a spy for Control but also seems to know Ange & Charlotte's true identity. Can't help but feel there's more people who are in their little secret. There are others wary of him, just as much as Ange is, so yeah. But, it's too bad he never got to experience life after being a spy. Just as he and Ange thought, as a spy you only live on lies - until you die by the lies you swore on. This scene... I hope this isn't foreshadowing anything in particular...

Though I wonder who that assassin is. From what I understood, it seems like both Control and the Duke of Normandy didn't exactly expect the Bishop's death, however both parties don't seem too shocked.

ED very, very calming. Very cute visuals, soothing, and it fits well, just like last. Gonna say Nowhere Land > A Page of My Story for now.

Overall, very nice. Good start to the 6 movie sequel.

And now we wait for the 2nd movie...
BoazanianMay 27, 2021 6:48 AM
May 26, 2021 8:32 PM

Sep 2017
Pretty good movie, I needed it by now. Continuing from the og series with the spy shenanigans, this time trying to uncover a double agent near the Crown itself. I liked very much how fleshed it was the relatioship between Ange and Winston, gave it more weight by the end. I wonder why I thought this could get a happy ending ;-;
May 27, 2021 9:54 AM

Jul 2017
The 1st of 6 movies for its "supposedly" Crown Handler sequel (which equals 13.5 episodes in total length), and it definitely feels right at home if you watched Season 1 back in 2017 because it's a continuation from the final episode.

In terms of OST:
OP: "The Other Side of The Wall" > "Lies & Ties" by infinity, even though its Void_Chords. The prequel OP is just TOO POWERFUL as a standalone song.
ED: "Nowhere Land" > "A Page of My Story" by a bit, a peaceful ED as compared to the cheerio prequel.

It's great to see the spy girls back again on their usual espionage mission (as is the MI5 act of Control higher-up operatives) and the 1st perpetrator: Control-cum-Royal Kingdom Bishop/Grand Chamberlain double agent spy by the name of Winston, and the act of ousting spies. As usual, the cross disguise act of Princess Charlotte and Ange is the defining feature, as is the Cavorite power that Ange controls. However in this case, it's an identity crisis between the entire Control operative and the double agent.

Trying to debunk the enitre spy operations using the lookalikes of Charlotte and Ange as a distraction has always been the series's strong suit, and to no one's surprise, Charlotte's uncle, the Duke of Normandy has always been the background villain to act when the time is right.

The double agent Winston could've lived a long life, and his exposure of Ange and Charlotte's true identities serves as a karma of fair trade. Alas, things are not meant to be within the realms of the Royal Kingdom and the Commonwealth, as is the relationship between him and Ange, with a shot to the heart.

In terms of story, Crown Handler is bringing Princess Principal to a place that feels the same, yet has a different, yet cohesive structure that doesn't detract from the fundamentals of the prequel. With Studio 3Hz dropping out and with Actas handling animation, this movie is a good start to the 6-parter sequel flim-fest.

Looking forward to Part 2 coming out soon.
May 27, 2021 11:22 PM

Dec 2010
The way the movie ended hurt me a lot... Why did Bishop have to die like that... I understand it's the risks of being a spy but the way they presented him made him likable. Only for him to die tragically.

Enjoyed seeing the gang once more however. 8/10
May 27, 2021 11:52 PM
Sep 2017
The voice change messed me up real bad. Its not changing back is it?
May 28, 2021 8:37 AM

May 2012
Starboom said:
The voice change messed me up real bad. Its not changing back is it?

No. Ayaka Imamura had retired from voice acting due to worsening health issue. You just have to get used to Aoi Koga(Kaguya's VA) as Ange.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2018/06/30-1/voice-actress-ayaka-imamura-announces-immediate-retirement-due-to-health-issue
zenjamibuMay 28, 2021 8:40 AM
May 31, 2021 6:25 AM

Feb 2018
I didn't think there would be part 2, which is good because I can see Dorothy again. And also what the FK ending? Rip wintson idk who's those black butler
SyureriaJun 2, 2021 5:49 AM
May 31, 2021 6:35 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
In all honesty, it was kind of a tame and predictable conclusion. I didn't think it was going to go all well for the Bishop but well, it's still sad to see him pass away like that. I knew it was coming from the moment Ange started walking the other way.

Buildup with all the mind games and Ange's amazing skills was really cool though, hence the little dissatisfaction. It's great to see the other characters too! Here's to hoping they'll play bigger roles in the upcoming parts. Chise's little "I can do this when I put my mind to it" followed by the flop was hilarious, lol.

It's good to see that the Animation Quality didn't diminish, now that only Actas is in charge of this. Ange's voice does indeed sound different and it took a little to get used to but to be honest it fits the bill. As if that was ever going to be the issue with Koga Aoi-san.

Going to settle with a generous 7/10 for this.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jun 1, 2021 7:58 AM

Apr 2016
Those bastards killed Solid Snake.

Three things i liked about the og series, Yuki Kajiura OST, the very unique steampunk setting and the main gang cast. Was waiting for this series of six movies for too long, and today finally watched the first one out of the six and all the three things i enjoyed in the main series were here. The series is original, so i'll just wait and see what the new studio do with it and were we end.

Also, the dude at the very end who killed the chamberlain .. he looks like some important not another rando character, hope they dont kill him next movie. We need more unique characters that don't look either super moe or super normal.

Also x2, if all six movies will be 50+ min, why not just a regular series, why movies ?

The ED song AND visuals are great.
Jun 1, 2021 11:40 AM

May 2012
Swagernator said:
The series is original, so i'll just wait and see what the new studio do with it and were we end.

Actas is not a new animation studio but was 1/2 of the co-production of the series along with Studio 3Hz. For some unknown reason, Studio 3Hz is not involved with the PriPri movies and Actas is now the sole production animation studio doing this.

Swagernator said:

Also x2, if all six movies will be 50+ min, why not just a regular series, why movies ?

I think it is more profitable for them to do theatrical release since the Japanese fanbase will need to buy tickets to watch the movie along with streaming and BD release as opposed to just watching it on TV for free.

Actas(animation studio handling Girls und Panzer) has the unfortunate reputation of having production delays/issues when tackling a regular weekly TV anime production schedule. That happened with the anime Regalia: Three Sacred Stars and Long Riders. They can’t do great work when they have a short deadline to finish an anime episode on a weekly TV schedule. It even happen to the GuP TV series during it's TV run in October-December 2012 that resulted in delaying the last 2 episodes to March 2013. They do good work if they are given a long time to finish.Probably the PriPri production committee(mostly Bandai) don't want the same situation to happen to it that they decided to do the 6-part film series format that was also given to GuP.
zenjamibuJun 1, 2021 11:46 AM
Jun 4, 2021 6:17 PM

Sep 2014
I should not watch sequels when I forgot the plot of the first season.

So Bishop was working as a spy for the commonwealth yet the commonwealth/control wasnt sure how he communicates? Or rather Bishop was also giving out secret messages about the commonwealth to a third party? All while officially working for the Queen?
And he got killed by likely that third party to cover their tracks?

Am I missing something here? Control suspected the kingdom was getting wary of him while also suspecting he might be a double agent himself, but actually he was a double agent for a third party?

How did he even have information about the commonwealth beyond what he knows through the crown? I doubt control would tell him secrets for no reason and with his job he cant exactly go out to gather commonwealth related information.

Confusing stuff.

Not much too say about the movie itself, its just 2 episodes tied together. Bland for a movie but also solid enough considering this will be another season in length when its done.
Only really interesting for the steampunk setting of which we havent seen anything in this movie which couldnt just be magic in fantasy shows.

Cute girls doing spy stuff which is close to SOL with occasional seriousness to spice it up, while the main girls are never really in danger because its still a cute girls show.
I hope the future proves me wrong.
For now I cant appreciate the obvious hint at Anges and Charlottes situation with the ending since nothing of that sort will happen anyway. As of now I expect the highlight to be Charlottes Uncle finding out about the switching, but he will get deposed of before it matters.

The most interesting part is 3Hz dropping out. Acta releases GuP Das Finale in the same way so they will likely be fine but its curious since its an anime original.

The big benefit this has is we cant be sure whats coming after the movies so everything could be important or irrelevant in the long run.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jun 8, 2021 1:58 PM

Oct 2016
someone correct me here because im not sure if they didnt show it or i just missed it but...

they didnt show the moment where Ange and Winston get off the car to go to the passageway in the cemetery, right?
Jun 8, 2021 4:27 PM
Towel Attendant

Dec 2014
PrecureHunter said:
someone correct me here because im not sure if they didnt show it or i just missed it but...

they didnt show the moment where Ange and Winston get off the car to go to the passageway in the cemetery, right?

I don't recall seeing it either.... just the green glow and the lid lifting off the monument.

I really like this series whether in episode or movie format. The steam punk vibe is very well done and the artwork is fun to watch for details. I really get the crowded and smokey feeling thanks to the artwork done. The story seems nicely paced and the chase scenes are fun. Good stuff.... 8/10.
Jun 12, 2021 3:40 PM
Jan 2019
Really interesting, they focus on side characters in this first movie, and there is no main plot yet.And also showing Princess Charlotte's family members at the opening is really interesting for the future.
Jun 18, 2021 12:43 AM
Jun 2019
I only remember fragments from the series so the mention of the cavourite powering the Air Fleet wa most helpful. When I saw the green glow it was wtf, oh, cavourite. Then the sight of the air ship docked at the palace.

Thought they made good use of the longer format. Really enjoyed it and looking forward to the rest.
Jun 20, 2021 3:26 PM
Jul 2018
Like they're pulling a Garupan schedule giving us episodic movies, no time to deal with this I'll wait until we get the rest of them.
Jun 22, 2021 2:12 AM

Apr 2012
How much does this add to the overall plot? I've heard that these are mostly just additional cases.
Jun 26, 2021 2:15 PM
Nov 2018
Bloody hell, Ange, elope with your girlfriend already, it's not like you can't change your mind!
Jun 27, 2021 8:06 AM

Apr 2012
AntanaSnieckus said:
Bloody hell, Ange, elope with your girlfriend already, it's not like you can't change your mind!

If you're still expecting romance from a show that never intended to be it, check out some fanfiction. They are in bulk on the net. The authors initially left any shipping for audience.
Jul 3, 2021 8:35 AM

Feb 2020
R.I.P Wilson.

Well, it was an okay movie. Looking forward to the next part.

That ending was so adorable. <3

SerafosJan 11, 1:17 AM
Aug 4, 2021 9:30 AM
Jul 2018
AntanaSnieckus said:

Yeah, right? Thought the same. xD

I hope there will some plot to this. I'm quite confused right now and I'm waiting for a conclusion to the story.
Aug 4, 2021 10:00 AM

Apr 2012
_Maneki-Neko_ said:
AntanaSnieckus said:

I hope there will some plot to this. I'm quite confused right now and I'm waiting for a conclusion to the story.

As I said above, the authors were not going to make any romance out of this. They openly leave any interpretations to the audience, but this is not the topic they wanted to talk about. So, you can ship them as many as you want, no one will mind, but if you expect some melodramatic romance from this, then this is clearly not that show. At least until the end.
Aug 4, 2021 12:29 PM
Jul 2018
RobertBobert said:
_Maneki-Neko_ said:

As I said above, the authors were not going to make any romance out of this. They openly leave any interpretations to the audience, but this is not the topic they wanted to talk about. So, you can ship them as many as you want, no one will mind, but if you expect some melodramatic romance from this, then this is clearly not that show. At least until the end.

I know, I just want the whole plot to have an interesting conclusion and not only stand alone movies.

Also, I can hope for a happy end for that couple in the end.
Aug 4, 2021 12:43 PM

Apr 2012
_Maneki-Neko_ said:
RobertBobert said:

I know, I just want the whole plot to have an interesting conclusion and not only stand alone movies.

So it won't have an conclusion unless the show gets a new season where they become a couple? Do you think any story is left unfinished unless the characters decide they want to fuck each other? It's like assuming that Demon Slayer doesn't have a conclusion until Nezuko earns a PhD in microbiology.
Aug 4, 2021 12:47 PM
Jul 2018
RobertBobert said:
_Maneki-Neko_ said:

So it won't have an conclusion unless the show gets a new season where they become a couple? Do you think any story is left unfinished unless the characters decide they want to fuck each other? It's like assuming that Demon Slayer doesn't have a conclusion until Nezuko earns a PhD in microbiology.

Uhm, I didn't say that? Don't build up a strawman everytime.
Aug 4, 2021 12:51 PM

Apr 2012
_Maneki-Neko_ said:
RobertBobert said:

Uhm, I didn't say that? Don't build up a strawman everytime.

That is, you did not support the shippers comment above with the statement that this line needs a conclusion and are you embarrassed that the show does not develop a potential romance line?
Aug 8, 2021 7:25 PM

Feb 2014
I don´t have a clue of what happened.

Just that the old man was spy and that his ending was predictable.

Good animation and art.

I don´t even know how to rate this since I am unaware of what happened, that is why, sadly, my enjoyment was not that high.
TechOtakuAug 8, 2021 7:39 PM
Sep 3, 2021 11:14 AM

Jun 2016
Coming off of the main series, this felt and went decently well. Pacing was alright, and the ending set-up a mystery that the next films can follow on from. A good 2-parter essentially.

Poor Iron Wall Willie. He'll be missed.

One thing from this movie that I felt the main series needed more of was the Duke of Normandy. Given more screentime, I think he could be quite the evil villain.
A-Simple-SquireSep 3, 2021 11:21 AM

Oct 9, 2021 12:46 AM

Aug 2018
I enjoyed that very much.
Apr 25, 2022 12:24 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
There's to be six movies each roughly the length of two episodes each which will result in a runtime of approximately 12 or 13 episodes. I think it's safe to simply call this as season 2.

So it's still good, but idk, just didn't hit as hard as the high points that we got before. That said, there's still 5 more movies to go. Maybe it is within there that is the punches to the gut that I seek. Even if it's slowly, I hope they steadily release this crown handler movies. I quite liked the first season, and I hope that the rest will be just as good.

But for this first part of the six-movie series, I'm going to leave with a 6/10. Now onto the next one, which I hope I will rate higher.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Sep 9, 2022 10:27 AM
Apr 2014
That was pretty cool. Really want to see more of this series!

The end was a bit sad though. At first I expected that to happen but waiting until the very end to pull the trigger on that got me a little bit...

Anyway. Looking forward to the next movies!
Oct 10, 2022 8:11 PM

Jun 2014
It's been a few years since I've seen these girls in action. I'm glad that they're back.

It was sad to see the old man die. I wonder who the identity of his killer is?

Jan 4, 2023 8:43 AM

Apr 2013
Was a good movie, I did not quite understand why he would make Ange bring him books which he uses for encoding his messages, if he was a double agent. Without that, the Commonwealth would not have arrived at the decision to dispose him.
May 19, 2023 3:17 AM
Jun 2019
0/10 that was not check in first game
SENDMERWBYPICSMay 19, 2023 3:38 AM

More topics from this board

» is this a secuel?

Umbreon20 - Mar 21, 2022

3 by WatchTillTandava »»
Nov 7, 2023 11:02 AM

» The whole story is wrong

IOANNIS1940 - Aug 23, 2023

6 by APolygons2 »»
Oct 5, 2023 5:10 AM

» The Dub is out

APolygons2 - Apr 2, 2022

4 by APolygons2 »»
Jun 20, 2022 9:44 PM

» who else is waiting for the dub?

APolygons2 - Sep 22, 2021

1 by Jadesanka »»
Sep 23, 2021 9:30 PM

» Rescheduled to Feb. 11th, 2021

_MushiRock11_ - Sep 23, 2020

7 by Aeeek »»
Jun 17, 2021 10:29 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.