Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 15, 2021 6:23 PM

Mar 2014
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
煮えてなんぼの、おでんに候!
He finally Said it! (Half of this though). Oden knew he would die there, so already thought of how he could save his Samurai's from getting killed as well. And also,the people in the city finally understood what Oden did for them, and they cheer him up! Orochi is such a bitch, I wish Luffy would punch the hell out of his face. And a bit of respect for Kaido, he killed the Old lady who had the Mane-mane no Mi, because she interfered in their battle, nice one Kaido.
Next episode is about Toki, and I can't wait for next week!
May 15, 2021 6:51 PM

Nov 2016
One hour has passed, Oden did it.

Everyone: "let's celebrate, he can manage another few minutes

I really liked the flashbacks during Oden's struggle and the OST( I must protect Luffy) was a perfect fit for this situation. Only Orochi whining was close to ruining it.

Overall I wasn't really blown away by the adaption of this part. It felt a bit too drawn out, including the last two episodes.

That said, One Piece gotta be the only anime where a stupid pun like that can be awesome. Also, a pistol has once again proven to be as deadly as an ancient weapon. You don't believe me? Ask Bellemere, Homing, Corazon, random mouintain bandit, Whitebeard or the infamous Mr.11.

Even a Giga Chad like Oden Kozuki didn't stand a chance. Big RIP for the man, it was pleasure to follow him on his journey. The flashback ain't quite over yet, but Toei did overall a fantastic job.
FMmatronMay 15, 2021 6:54 PM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 15, 2021 7:08 PM

Jan 2020
All that needs to be said is that oden is one of the most legendary characters out there and now that we're getting closer and closer to the flashback conclusion, I can say that I loved it. Rest in piece to one of the goats. Perfect soundtrack usage and that whole death scene with the smile + the shamisen music + the sakura "to be continued"" was done perfectly. I preferred the pacing for this episode too over last week's which is a huge positive.

Also, orochi is trash.
ManWildMay 15, 2021 7:30 PM

May 15, 2021 7:29 PM

Apr 2014
Oden will never be forgotten. He will never die. His spirit will live on. He is immortal. The will of those who will fight continues to exist even to present time. Toei well done! X3
May 15, 2021 7:47 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Mark my words, this episode and Oden will go down a classic! "Oden wouldn't be Oden. If it wasn't boiled." We've had some incredible and moving One Piece episodes in the past and this is right up there in the top tier, thank you loads to Toei for this delightful treat! And Rest in Peace, Oden-san.

Kind of speechless at the moment, honestly. All the scenes I'd like to touch upon are replaying in my head but I just can't find the words right now.

"To be continued", yes please!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

May 15, 2021 7:57 PM
May 2020
Finally (crying)

There is a mistake in the subtitle... and i hate it...this is unforgivable

His name wasnt Oden smh...his name was
O D. En

This episode is a 6/5 (Masterpiece)
Thanks Toei...Thanks Oda...Goodbye
O D. EN , you're not dead , cuz we will always remember you <3
One Piece is bad, really
May 15, 2021 8:04 PM

Jul 2007
Say it with me people

ODEN WOULDN'T BE ODEN............. IF IT WASN"T BOILED

Over all a decent adaptation of the source material, specifically the end with the shamasin music and the transition to the flower petals. I am also glad they chose to focus on "smiling ODEN as he died. The D. always die well smiling. Just what could it mean? Does Oden have the D?

Although there are some things I want to explain because I feel due to the rather shoddy translation, it can be confusing to interpert these immportant pieces of infromation.

ODEN basically meant that the ones responsible for closing off the country of wano are the Kozuki clan from ages past and it was to protect wano from a GREAT external power that could threaten the entire world. Many years later, a war capable of splitting the ocean's will break out and a "figure" will arive in the NEW world. This figure will eventually muscle their way through the new world and wano's allies will want to work together with him to open up wano's borders and protect the world.

This in my opinion is a more accurate interpertation of this information. But either way, its interesting because who are the original Kozuki members and what external power could they be talking about? Why is Wano connected to the world of the past, the void century? These are questions you should be asking your self and no doubt this is why ODEN's back story is crucial because it will connect to present events in the story with luffy and the straw hats in a very BIG way.
ArtimesGamerMay 15, 2021 8:11 PM

May 15, 2021 8:12 PM

Oct 2017
With that one of the biggest chad of anime/manga history has died, RIP Oden the legend. You'll be missed dearly. Props to TOEI for delivering a great adaptation of this flashback arc.
May 15, 2021 8:17 PM
Jun 2020
As I hate Orochi, but that does not mean that he is one of the best antagonists that Oda has written, Kaido clearly killed Baba and well Oden ... what an incredible and legendary character, his death together with Shirohige's are among the best from One Piece.

P.D: I hope someone kills Orochi... 👀
May 15, 2021 8:37 PM

Jun 2014
He did it. The madlad fucking did it. He withstood that whole hour. Oden is literally the personification of the phrase "big dick energy." Nah, he's not big dick energy, he's GARGANTUAN MASSIVE FUCKING COCK ENERGY. One of the most legendary Chads I've seen in anime is gone, but it was a legendary departure. The journey was great, Chaden. And always remember, ODEN WOULDN'T BE ODEN IF IT WASN'T BOILED!!!
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

May 15, 2021 8:39 PM

Feb 2010
Odens thing got fried in that hour.
May 15, 2021 8:39 PM
Feb 2018
😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭
May 15, 2021 9:16 PM

Mar 2020
Oden wouldn't be Oden if it wasn't boiled! So that's what they meant when they said this sentence damn

Kaido is as dishonorable as ever, going so far as to correct his mistake by killing Higurashi, but making another by breaking another promise, Oden really shouldn't have trusted him to keep his promise after breaking one before.

Anyways, Toei did a great job with this episode and Oden's death, it seems like we're approaching the end and going back to present time soon after this epic mini-arc, but we'll never forget you, Oden-sama!!
May 15, 2021 9:43 PM
Feb 2020
Oden died smiling just like Roger, these little details are so amusing
May 15, 2021 9:54 PM

Jul 2007
There is probably about 2 more episodes remaining of this flashback mini arc and the final moments of this story we have already caught a glimpse of previously but now we will see the full story.

May 15, 2021 10:10 PM

Mar 2012
Is there an animal whose meat doesn't cook in burning hot oil in one hour?
AhmedHanMay 18, 2021 8:14 PM
May 15, 2021 10:24 PM
Jul 2018
damn this episode was great, oden was such a badass, all the way up until and after he died. they did a really great job animating this scene too, loved the way they showed him smiling while sinking into the pot. rip to a legend.
May 15, 2021 10:25 PM
Dec 2018
At this point I'm sure every One Piece fan hates this man. Most hated character award goes to - Kurozumi Orochi
May 15, 2021 10:43 PM

Feb 2021
i imagined odens setting of death to be different but it didnt matter. the wano soundtrack is dope. next ep is the last flashback lol.
May 15, 2021 11:18 PM
Jan 2021
Kozuki Oden is no doubt, one of the best one piece Characters ever. Im was literally in tears while watching the episode.
May 16, 2021 12:53 AM

Sep 2019
Oden wouldn't be oden if it wasn't boiled.

It was a sad episode. I'm glad he was able to save the akazaya nine.
May 16, 2021 12:53 AM

Dec 2011
This episode was epic and so beautifully animated.
May 16, 2021 2:25 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
Great episode, the next one looks like it's gonna have some smooth animation.
May 16, 2021 2:39 AM
Oct 2018
I thought Oden's death will be extremely sad but it turned out to be pure badass death just like whitebeard. RIP Kozuki Oden. Also, respect to kaido for killing that shapeshifting old hag. Orochi deserves the worst death possible.
May 16, 2021 2:44 AM
Mar 2016
The story is good but the direction of this episode was horrible. Not epic, not even sad, was just....normal? Come on, the episode of laugh tale was beautiful, but this one? Im dissapointed. I expected to cry or something for a char so epic as Oden.
May 16, 2021 3:07 AM

Jul 2015
One piece, the only show that can make people cry over "Oden wouldn't be Oden if it wasn't boiled". Rip Oden, at least he died a pretty badass death.

I can't wait for Luffy and the rest to wipe out Orochi

May 16, 2021 3:28 AM

Jul 2016
prowo said:
Oden died smiling just like Roger, these little details are so amusing

Big baller right there.
May 16, 2021 3:55 AM

Feb 2016
Au Revoir, Kozuki Oden.
May 16, 2021 4:26 AM

Apr 2013
He should've thrown them outside of the boiling oil one hour ago... I mean it was so damn obvious again that Orochi wouldn't just let them go, Oden really was the silliest lord.
May 16, 2021 5:12 AM

Jun 2019
"Oden Wouldn't be Oden, if it wasn't boiled!"
May 16, 2021 5:17 AM

Oct 2018
R.I.P Oden sama <3
May 16, 2021 5:18 AM
Wings

Apr 2017
Oden's death fr seems like something out of a folktale.

His memory will be even greater than just people talking about him over a drink. His retainers, the Straw Hats, the Heart Pirates, and the Kid Pirates are here to fulfil his dream of opening Wano - as his retainers said, Oden's dream is their dream.

'Oden wouldn't be Oden... if it wasn't boiled!' T_T
LezetMay 16, 2021 5:21 AM
May 16, 2021 5:48 AM
May 2021
There have been very few characters in anime history I’ve wanted dead in the most brutal way possible than Orochi, what a well written absolute a**hole of a character
May 16, 2021 6:07 AM
Jul 2018
My god oden dying smiling was very emotiona Orochi didn’t live up to his promise, oden’s conversations talking to kaido was very epic.

I really want to know what will happen to oden followers i'm already looking forward to next.
May 16, 2021 6:13 AM

Jul 2016
this was a very sad episode, even though everyone knows whats gonna happen, still teared up a lil bit

the moms of the people who remove signatures are hœs
discord: Jotaakuu#8878

May 16, 2021 6:30 AM
Apr 2021
That episode was impalpable
May 16, 2021 7:22 AM
Nov 2020
Oden is one of the best character in one piece

I just want orochi's head ..
His laugh makes me angry

And way kaido killed oden was so brutal
RIP oden sama
May 16, 2021 8:09 AM
May 2021
Slightly too slow paced need to move on back to present soon
May 16, 2021 8:34 AM

Apr 2015
This episode was perfect! They adapted Oden's execution so well from the manga. Hats off to Toei! I legit shed some tears :(
May 16, 2021 9:15 AM

Apr 2019
Great episode, Oden will always live on in Wano.

May 16, 2021 10:17 AM

Nov 2020
Ahh I missed several recent episodes ://
May 16, 2021 10:29 AM

Apr 2018
''Oden wouldn't be oden if it wasn't boiled'' - Oden
What a goat, a chad, a legendary man. It was a great journey.
The ''I'm off'' with the smile killed me.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
May 16, 2021 10:46 AM
Feb 2021
I really have enjoyed oden's flashback but its starting to feel really stretched out for me, I can't even remember the last time Luffy was on screen.
May 16, 2021 11:09 AM

Jun 2020
Safe to say that this has been the best flashback in One Piece.

Also excited to see the straw hats back in action soon!
May 16, 2021 11:43 AM

Nov 2017
What an emotional episode! RIP Oden. A very great man! He is part of the legend of One Piece.
May 16, 2021 1:22 PM

Jul 2008
Heroes get remembered but legends never die.

Manly tears have been shed.
May 16, 2021 3:37 PM

May 2014
What an amazing and emotional ep. Wow. I am glad Oden's actions got justified and his legacy stood high among his people. Only Oden could stand in boiling oil for one hour that got intensified during half of the penalty. So cheap of Orochi to increase the temperature and change the sentence at the last minute by shooting. I always knew Orochi was a cheap ass scumbag/douchebag, but before this arc, I actually thought that Kaido had a little ouche of honor and decency (something he is clearly missing). He is as big an asshole as his companion. It makes sense why the fan love Whitebeard and Roger a lot more.

In his speech at the end, I thought he would mention something about Raftael and that Kaido wasn't the one who would find One Piece, but this is as good as that. It actually makes more sense. It would be duller if his speech was similar to Whitebeard's final speech. It was very cheap by Kaido shooting him, but very expected too. But his final moments and end were amazing animated. I loved what they did with "To be continued" with Sakura flower petals. Lovely!

Next time we will see the aftermath of Oden's death. From what I can see in the manga, I guess there are only 1-2 eps. left for the story to back to the current time. Can't wait.
May 16, 2021 3:42 PM

May 2014
brazzersfinest said:
I really have enjoyed oden's flashback but its starting to feel really stretched out for me, I can't even remember the last time Luffy was on screen.

That's true. But it's exactly like that in the manga too. Remember, that Oden's past is crucial for the arc and the whole storyline. Don't worry, only 1-2 eps. more before we are back to the current timeline. :)
May 16, 2021 3:44 PM

May 2014
GojosH0e said:
There have been very few characters in anime history I’ve wanted dead in the most brutal way possible than Orochi, what a well written absolutely a**hole of a character

Spandam was almost equally annoying as him. He had his funny moments with how stupid he was, but Spandam comes as the second most annoying character you wished was dead. But I agree with you Orochi is a bigger scumbag.
May 16, 2021 3:46 PM

May 2014
Gator said:
He should've thrown them outside of the boiling oil one hour ago... I mean it was so damn obvious again that Orochi wouldn't just let them go, Oden really was the silliest lord.

True, I think he knew that himself. But he wanted to die with a good legacy. Remember that Oden was a person with honor, similar to Roger and Whitebeard. He wouldn't do stupid, cheap, and silly tricks to stain his own reputation and legacy.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1106 Discussion

IzanaSolos - 2 hours ago

3 by ryzxgum »»
27 minutes ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1105 Discussion ( 1 2 )

IzanaSolos - May 18

59 by MegamiRem »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1104 Discussion ( 1 2 )

AhriTheS3xyFox - May 11

56 by MegamiRem »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1103 Discussion

IzanaSolos - May 4

47 by MegamiRem »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1102 Discussion ( 1 2 )

IzanaSolos - Apr 27

51 by MegamiRem »»
4 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.