Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
So I'm a Spider, So What? (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Apr 16, 2021 11:47 AM

Jul 2019
Very good episode in terms of content, kumokos part was really fun and the schlain part was also pretty interesting.

The animation on the other hand... jesus christ, did the production just exploded?? I honestly think the team was trying to do something good, but they probably didnt have enough time. Sad to see it. Although i will give it to studio millepensee, they were able to make so the anime didnt melt that much until episode 14, a new record for them, cop craft for example had its production dead by episode 3 or something. Millepensee maybe one day, ONE DAY, you will be able to make an anime that doesnt completely melt.
Apr 16, 2021 11:52 AM
Nov 2016
All of you moaning about animation when I don't recall it being bad? Was it really that bad? Are you stoopid? Do I need glasses? BTW, please spoil me who is the spider in the human timeline.
Apr 16, 2021 11:59 AM

Dec 2010
Damn, this was an amazing episode but completely ruined by the terrible animation.

However we learn more things: vampire girl baby saved by Kumoko 15 years in the past is Sophia, a reincarnated japanese girl too, same eyes, same mole under the left eye, the one who help Hugo to mess up with humans and tried to kill the hero.

Fei in dragon form is amazing. Glad Katia survived.
Apr 16, 2021 12:01 PM

Dec 2010
IanDimas said:
The human side is already boring as it is, but the dreadful action animation made it even worse, wow

Lol, they waste all the budget on Kumoko against bandits to save baby Sophia, the other reincarnated japanese girl.

Hopefully they fix this crap in the BDs.
Apr 16, 2021 12:04 PM

May 2015
martin12165 said:
All of you moaning about animation when I don't recall it being bad? Was it really that bad? Are you stoopid? Do I need glasses? BTW, please spoil me who is the spider in the human timeline.

If you really really want to know
WARNING ⚠️
Apr 16, 2021 12:06 PM
Jun 2016
Blueninja69 said:
Light Novel: Makes Schlain's story a side story
Manga: does not even have Schlain in it.
Anime: DOES HORRIBLE ANIMATION FOR SCHLAIN PART

Sounds like manga will be the way to go for me, for this story.

curvedtree said:
Kumoko's part was hilarious, if only the whole episode was only about her. The good thing about the Shun part is the vampire onee-san

Completely agree, broke my 2x speed watching of the boring human side just to see more of Sophia.
Apr 16, 2021 12:07 PM

Dec 2015
I thought the episode was okay, but I still liked the episode. It episode was mostly about Kumoko’s classmates and I’m okay with that. I did like the little back and forth conversation she had with herself over rather or not she should help the people in the carriage. Ultimately, she decided to help them and kill the bandits. I also liked how she instantly noticed that the vampire baby was another reincarnation just like her. Also, what happened to the elves that wanted the vampire baby but died? Who killed them?

The human side is getting much worse as the episodes progresses. Shun found himself in trouble, he was set up for murdering his dad, the king. All because the older brother wanted the throne. Of course, Hugo is involved with this, even though it looks like he is just a pawn to the Church as is Shun’s sister, Sue, and his older brother (maybe, probably not). I did like how Shun was able to snap his friend, Katia out of the brainwashing and tried to take her own life to stop herself from being brainwashed again and potentially killing Shun. I like Feirune’s adult (?) form also.

I’m still confused about the time-skips.
Nunbo_ArburApr 16, 2021 12:11 PM
Apr 16, 2021 12:09 PM

Jul 2011
So uh...did they run out of budget? This was so badly animated the only good thing was Kumoko's little freakout when she finds out baby Sophia and she spider rolls around. Shame reallly since this is supposed to be a very important episode from the human side POV and it just got butchered by some of the worst quality i've seen
Apr 16, 2021 12:10 PM

Apr 2018
Sofia, the busty woman. Well hugo is becoming a real villian. Doing everything for revenge.. Well the fight scenes were quite nice. Probably my favorite ep of this season.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Apr 16, 2021 12:14 PM

May 2015
Nunbo_Arbur said:
I thought the episode was okay, but I still liked the episode. It episode was mostly about Kumoko’s classmates and I’m okay with that. I did like the little back and forth conversation she had with herself over rather or not she should help the people in the carriage. Ultimately, she decided to help them and kill the bandits. I also liked how she instantly noticed that the vampire baby was another reincarnation just like her. Also, what happened to the elves that wanted the vampire baby but died? Who killed them?

The human side is getting much worse as the episode progresses. Shun found himself in trouble, while he was set up for murdering his dad, the king all because the older brother wanted the throne. Of course, Hugo is involved with this, even though it looks like he is just a pawn to the Church as is Shun’s sister, Sue, and his older brother (maybe, probably not). I did like how Shun was able to snap his friend, Katia out of the brainwashing and tried to take her own life to stop herself from being brainwashed again and potentially killing Shun. I like Feirune’s adult (?) form also.

I’m still confused about the time-skips.

Any scene with Kumoko in spider form is 15 years in the past, any scenes with Katia, Schaine, Fei, or Oka are present day
Apr 16, 2021 12:20 PM
Mar 2011
Overtorn said:
Sounds like manga will be the way to go for me, for this story

That would be a mistake. The original story is two-sided, not the "Shun is a side-story". Nope, he's "side-but-still-part-of-main story" and explains some things that anime failed to show properly. So, the novel is much better than both anime and manga. Anime is better as a story than manga. Manga is better at art.

Nunbo_Arbur said:
Also, what happened to the elves that wanted the vampire baby but died? Who killed them?

There was the spider monster in the same forest, that was aware of them. I mean, Kumo has clearly shown she's fine with killing humans if they are agressive or outlaws. Protecting another reincarnated person she's just saved would be as easy for her.
ArdRaeissApr 16, 2021 12:24 PM
Apr 16, 2021 12:30 PM

May 2015
Finally my girl Sophia is getting some screen time. That animation wasnt horrible, Ive seen much much worse but I have seen better. Oh well I dont care best vampire is here
billybubApr 16, 2021 12:55 PM
Apr 16, 2021 1:02 PM
Apr 2017
calling this "anime" is hurting
Apr 16, 2021 1:09 PM

Aug 2013
The human side of the story is starting to get interesting with the betrayal and all. Honestly, Hugo is just annoying and a boring antagonist.
So Fei evolved. She looks great.

Kumoko jealously of the vampire baby was hilarious. There was no reaction from the humans who she saved. Though that's understandable since they are looking at monster.

Apr 16, 2021 1:17 PM
Feb 2021
LN reader here. this episode was so disappointing. This should have been great but the animation and shoddy editing ruined it. also skipped important scenes and dialogue. What a shame
Apr 16, 2021 1:25 PM
Nov 2016
I spoiled some of the story from Mr Google, cleared all of my confusion. Feel like the smartest kid in school now xD
Apr 16, 2021 1:28 PM
Nov 2018
The whole thing got very intriging now. But good lord... the human fights are always so badly done, honestly pretty much every part that doesn't involve the spider is badly done, weird frames all around.
Apr 16, 2021 1:34 PM
Apr 2021
Anyone else not interested in the human characters in the slighest?

Also what was with the animations in this episode, it was so terrible. I gave it a 2 simply because of the spider scenes.

Everything else gets a ZERO
Apr 16, 2021 1:36 PM

Jun 2015
Awful episode. Terrible awful. The basis of animation are found dead
Apr 16, 2021 1:36 PM

Nov 2019
The animation and scene composition is beyond rescue at this point. As a LN reader, I hate how they executed the story. And as usual, none of the characters are interesting so far. I lost interest in Kumo since she acquired Height of Occultism. The humans are intentionally meh. The demons try too hard to look remotely intimidating.
I have only the story and twists as motivation to stay with this franchise...

"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
Apr 16, 2021 1:37 PM

Jun 2015
The plot thickens! I like how MC rescued what appeared to be a reincarnated vampire baby without knowing it and then the cut away scene to where all the elves were dead. That was some sweet low key story telling right there!
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Apr 16, 2021 1:38 PM

Apr 2018
Damn what pickle they are in after the rebellion, meanwhile Kumiko strolls around the country side killing people xD
Apr 16, 2021 1:48 PM
Jan 2021
*When the studio put all their skillpoints to their 3D animation skill and forgot about leveling up 2D animation*
Apr 16, 2021 2:16 PM
Jul 2018
another really nice episode, lots of stuff going on at the human side and interesting "sophia" character who kumoko saved, can't wait to see more of kumoko's adventures and (hopefully) her arachne form soon!
Apr 16, 2021 2:28 PM
Dec 2020
is it just me or was the animation really lame this episode? underwhelming and boring :/
Apr 16, 2021 2:28 PM

May 2018
What was the purpose of Sue yelling out to pin the murder on Shun if everyone was either already brainwashed or in on it to begin with? Could have just killed the king and told the others to come in.
Apr 16, 2021 2:32 PM
Apr 2020
This episode felt really messy to me? It seemed really rushed and disjointed, the editing was all over the place and it felt sloppy and hard to keep track of exactly what was going on, not to mention the massive drop in overall animation quality.
Apr 16, 2021 2:33 PM
Dec 2010
Floor disappointment. How angry with this series. This idiot director has not yet destroyed the entire rate of narrative of its slideshow and still cut out a lot of key moments. Seriously you have already screw up Alala setup, but there was literally the most important scene on behalf of Katya where she is trying on with his feelings and parallel minds and takes his new essence, overcome hypnosis. And all this was filmed in one curve understage.

Why didn't he be fired after Berserk 2016? Seriously, this director is lack of talent, why does he still find a job?
FairisApr 16, 2021 2:39 PM
Apr 16, 2021 2:40 PM
Aug 2017
The episode director smoked something really bad.
Literraly skipped frames, zoomed tf out of pretty much any scene with motion. What is going on in this episode?
Such a climatic moment, for the story on the humans side, with that bs direction.

When the story was in the dungeon, i let it pass a lot of the confusion, because it's a ducking cave, but now we are in the open world, there's no excusion anymore

Jeez
Apr 16, 2021 2:40 PM

Oct 2017
Donphan-senpai said:
MegamiRem said:
Schlain's side of the story became a complete mess in just one episode. Guess Schlain's party will join Kumoko now. Also it's confirmed now that the Demon Lord is also a reincarnate.

why would they join her now I don't know if you noticed but Schlain and Kumoko's story are 15 years apart and we don't even know where she is or if she is even still alive?
Ye man I absolutely didn't know that the story was apart lol, thnx for letting me know.

Yes she can be by all means dead by now but my assumption is based on she's still alive and well. Now why Schlain would join her, well they are both reincarnates so it won't be surprising if they join hands after knowing that. Fei is also a monster/earth drag but that didn't stop him from being friends. Anyway this is just a mere speculation, I wrote I guess at the end incase u didn't notice.
Apr 16, 2021 3:07 PM
May 2014
it went from mp4 to ppt real quick
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 16, 2021 3:09 PM
Apr 2020
SquirrelKawaii said:
Anyone else not interested in the human characters in the slighest?

Also what was with the animations in this episode, it was so terrible. I gave it a 2 simply because of the spider scenes.

Everything else gets a ZERO

Yeah, it shows a good progress but it didn't impressed me, it doesn't deserve half of the screen time, the kumoko story shoulda be longer

Apr 16, 2021 3:15 PM

Jun 2016
It's only an hypothesis but it seems that Oka-chan sensei and the other elves in the past tried to kidnap all the reincarnated students of the "monster/demon side" to take them in custody and maybe even try to kill them (if taking them wasn't possible)... Sophia really hate her.
Oka-san even lied about Kumoko being dead when Schlain, Fei and Katia asked about her.

Maybe this is the first episode that tries to instill some sympathy towards the Schlain side or the nominal "good" side but I think that there isn't a real "good" and "evil" side (as in many other japanese novels), there's not a clear polarization of "values", every side has shit and good people and everyone has their own reasons.

Franz_FurantsuApr 16, 2021 3:19 PM
Apr 16, 2021 3:38 PM
Oct 2017
I dont like how they keep switching between the hero and the spidey. I just want to keep my focus on the adventures of spider and her 3 minds. Now whenever they switch to hero all i know is the hero and the dragon girl, all the other names are just blur. confusion
Apr 16, 2021 3:47 PM
Sep 2016
Well, the Kumo side was nice. The baby bloodsucker finally appeared, they skipped Mama Keren thanking Kumoko though, that was kinda important for later developments, but i guess they can do without that.

As for the human side... It was awful. The animation was garbage tier and it was very rushed. The Katia scene didnt explain shit. For anime only people, she resisted the brainwashing cause her mind was kinda divided in two sides (the male Kanata and the female Katia), but at the end of things the Kanata side disappears and she accepts herself as a woman.

All in all, what happens in the human side is interesting but the animation can fuck that, so hopefully this was a one time thing.

Swagernator said:
billybub said:

I mean, the anime is simply following the LN. The problem here is freaking opening, which spoils everything. In the LN, at this point it still wasnt clear who Kumoko was.
Apr 16, 2021 3:47 PM
Feb 2018
Haha mal ppl is always so sensitive about animation

Wow sophia the little girl has the big oppai now
I love her
Apr 16, 2021 3:53 PM

Apr 2017
Why is it this anime manage to put up good 3D fights like Kumoko vs Araba but at the same time they managed to release garbage 2D animation and messy shit like human vs Earthwyrm and this episode???

Apr 16, 2021 4:06 PM
Dec 2017
Nysyir said:
What was the purpose of Sue yelling out to pin the murder on Shun if everyone was either already brainwashed or in on it to begin with? Could have just killed the king and told the others to come in.

You know that only Hugo and Cylis knew about this, right? Cylis' "soldiers" were the ones that guard the king office.
Apr 16, 2021 4:07 PM
Dec 2017
Fairis said:
Floor disappointment. How angry with this series. This idiot director has not yet destroyed the entire rate of narrative of its slideshow and still cut out a lot of key moments. Seriously you have already screw up Alala setup, but there was literally the most important scene on behalf of Katya where she is trying on with his feelings and parallel minds and takes his new essence, overcome hypnosis. And all this was filmed in one curve understage.

Why didn't he be fired after Berserk 2016? Seriously, this director is lack of talent, why does he still find a job?

This has literally nothing to do with the director.
Most of the non-spider scenes were outsourced to Korea or China
Ep 14 animation director: Hwang Mijeong、Park Hyeran、Lee Jeong gwon

Ep 1,2,3,4,5,6,7, 11 and 12 animation director: Tomohiro Yoshida

ep 8 animation director: Hiromi Kimura

ep 9: Tomohiro Yoshida and Noriko Hatta

ep 10: Hiromi Kimura, Tomohiro Yoshida and Noriko Hatta

Apr 16, 2021 4:14 PM
Dec 2017
Xystus said:
Why is it this anime manage to put up good 3D fights like Kumoko vs Araba but at the same time they managed to release garbage 2D animation and messy shit like human vs Earthwyrm and this episode???

2 different teams.
Spider side is made by Studio ENGI and Studio exsa. Meanwhile, Shun side is made by Milipeense.

In fact, it's really easy to see when the 3D team make something for Shun side.
This is the model for the soldiers that are supposed to be background.

Look how good it looks for what should be a background character.
Apr 16, 2021 5:06 PM
Sep 2016
Question for the novel readers:
Did the humans really get that much focus in the novels?
Manga was purely the spider with some flashes of the demon king at most.

If the human story was added only in the anime, I truly dislike the anime. The story of the spider is now only comedic relief. In this Episode (14) she only got 6:43 minutes of screen time where she just sliced and looked at the bandits, then debated why she was a spider and the baby an already beutiful strong vampire.

Really, why did Millepensee do that? They shouldn't go in the monster charater domain and stick with an angry dude and airhead girls.
Apr 16, 2021 5:17 PM

Jan 2020
God_with_a_Plot said:

If the human story was added only in the anime, I truly dislike the anime. The story of the spider is now only comedic relief. In this Episode (14) she only got 6:43 minutes of screen time where she just sliced and looked at the bandits, then debated why she was a spider and the baby an already beutiful strong vampire.

Really, why did Millepensee do that? They shouldn't go in the monster charater domain and stick with an angry dude and airhead girls.

i am not LN reader but i know for a fact, that the anime completely follows the LN, they certainly dont add anything, only skip some stuffs.
Just like every other LN adaptations
U-Y-P-W-O-C-U-T-I-K-A-T-I-P-M-I-N-I-I-D-I-H-I-W-T-S-T-I-W-S-T-O-M-P-T-I-L-U-C-H-N-I-D-T-I-I-Y-I-M-N-O-W-S-T-S-W-N-I-B-W
Apr 16, 2021 5:20 PM

Mar 2016
God_with_a_Plot said:

humans took up half the chapters in each novel. the main problem here is that their story has been extremely rushed, so all the human characters are relatively flat compared to their novel counterparts
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Apr 16, 2021 5:23 PM
Dec 2017
God_with_a_Plot said:

The novel is 50/50 in the relation Kumo-Human.
In the novel the human chapters work as stop points between Kumo's infinite session of grinding and in the novel we get way more background of even small characters that make the human story more enjoyable.

Like, in the novel we get to see that the king is a really kind person and really loves his children but at the same time has the responsability to serve his people. He really laments not being able to spend more time with his children, specially Shun and Sue 'cuz he know that he really neglected them in their first years.
We get to see how broken he got with Julius dead (character who also has more screentime in the novel) and decides that he doesn't want to lose another son. This is when he comes to the idea of declare Shun as the new heir to keep him away from the battlefield.
Apr 16, 2021 5:41 PM

Apr 2015
Best part of the episode was the transition of Kumoko's POV and the Human POV when Kumoko protected the carriage. Switching between the two of them made some great comedy.

That animation nose dived massively in the second half... what the hell.

Despite the Animation being terrible, the story got a lot more interesting. Kumoko saving a vampire baby, not once but twice from the humans/elves trying to kill/capture it and now it joined the Demon Lord's army.

So that also confirmes that there's still a big time gap between the events of Kumoko and the Hero. I wonder when they will connect
Apr 16, 2021 5:44 PM

Jul 2008
Wow....this has to be one of the worse episodes of an anime I've seen in a long time. Animation was terrible. Felt like they just tried fitting a few episodes worth of story into one.

They have to a lot to make up for going forward.
Apr 16, 2021 5:53 PM

Nov 2015
This episode was okay from a narrative standpoint, but from an animation standpoint? Oof. This was just awful.

The animation starting from when Shun's father dies onwards is just laughably bad, and it doesn't help that the way they frame 90% of the scenes with human characters makes it visually messy. The sound design was also subpar during the action and outside scenes jumping around the actual character animations were stiff and lazy.

I was already struggling to stick with this anime and now the animation takes a nose dive? Not good.
Apr 16, 2021 5:54 PM

Nov 2017
Who cares if the animation was crap this time,we got to see Kumoko saving some humans and a vampire baby from some bandits in typical KumoStyle,lots of blood,lots of comedy,lots of Kumoko insanity! - And also -"go go Spider Rangers!"
As for the human side of things,oh well,the hero got tricked(as usual),the king got dead(as usual),the demon lord schemed(as usual),and then they got saved by Fei,who woke up in evolved state,and looked totally awesome.
Out of all that,aside from Kumoko,I came away with "damn,Fei looks cuter" :)
Apr 16, 2021 5:54 PM
Dec 2017

2 different teams.

Spider part looked fine because it's made by a whole different studio. Studio exsa and Studio ENGI makes everything that involve Kumoko.

Shun side is supposedly made Milepeense 'cuz this episodes human part was outsourced. Milepeense only made Sue killing the king and part of the battle inside the office. Everything else was made by Chinese/Koreans.

2D humans made by Spider Team (exsa and ENGI)

2D humans made by Human team (Milipeense but mostly CHinese and Korean in this episode)
linkhuesitosApr 16, 2021 5:58 PM
Apr 16, 2021 6:11 PM

Dec 2016
So we finally are getting power-point levels of animation ...
As well as that, the draws were really weird at some points
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 3, 2021

366 by Rimuru_11407 »»
Apr 21, 6:07 AM

» So there's no romance in there?

rishamr - Mar 25

12 by SwordBreaker36 »»
Apr 19, 5:07 AM

» As a LN reader, it hurts that this probably won't get another season

NXT_2006 - Feb 15, 2023

14 by DonKhixote »»
Apr 5, 4:02 PM

Poll: » Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 19, 2021

162 by Ratris_Decision »»
Mar 7, 4:07 AM

Poll: » Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Jan 8, 2021

331 by Ratris_Decision »»
Mar 5, 2:46 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.