Forum Settings
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (38) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 » ... Last »
Apr 7, 2021 5:40 PM

Feb 2021
What Isayama did to Eren's character in this chapter is the same as if he revealed Mikasa to be a prostitute.
It would COMPLETELY go against EVERYTHING she ever was, EVERYTHING SHE EVER FUCKING WAS. I wonder how many people would say it is fine then.
But then again i am not sure. I'd still say what happened to Eren is worse. He is absolute nothingness, he is void. He has no spirit, he has no determination. He doesn't even know why he made the decisions he made. He is a slave, and always was, he was a slave since birth. To some crazy girl from 2000 years ago who just couldn't get over her love for the King who subjugated her and her people.
Apr 7, 2021 5:42 PM

Mar 2014
Eren: I am okay with killing my mother, the most important person in my life, but I draw the line at Jean and Connie
Apr 7, 2021 5:43 PM

Jan 2015
I liked the ending. Eren’s actions did not go to waste. He killed 80% of humanity...that’s insane

The ending could’ve been a bit better, but it’s by no means bad.
Apr 7, 2021 5:44 PM
Jan 2021
Glad I watched GoT to have enough power to put up with this nonsensical mess
Apr 7, 2021 5:46 PM

Feb 2021
Just_Away said:
Eren’s actions did not go to waste

Eren has no actions. He never made any decisions for himself. Every single thing he did was Ymir manipulating him. He doesn't know why he was doing what he was doing.

I sometimes wonder if people just look at the scans without ever reading the content.
Apr 7, 2021 5:48 PM
Feb 2021
What a ending Piece of shit! Trash!
Apr 7, 2021 5:48 PM

Mar 2015
I knew it would end on a downer, but not like this. This is just boring.
Hate how Ymir is just nonexistant all of a sudden, and I'm surprised the Eldian's weren't killed off given what Erin did.
Apr 7, 2021 5:51 PM

Sep 2016
What is all this talk about a ch 139? I thought this ended over a year ago?!!
Apr 7, 2021 5:54 PM

Mar 2014
Pakumen- said:
Danae said:

I think this chapter is the result of Isayama trying to redeem Eren. This is shown by how most 104th members started crying when they realized he's Lelouching (nvm that he didnt need to do that bc besides his friends almost the whole island was supporting him). In order to make Eren a hero again and likeable to everyone's eyes, he made him lament everything, halfass his way through an incomplete and dumbass plan and suddenly simp for Mikasa. Now, why he had to do that idk

I´m not even a Lelouch fan (and the last movie just fucked his character) but man, Lelouch had a better plan, better motivations and better writing (on his own character). yes, he absolutely asspulled his way through the entirety of the second season (specially against Charles, god damn do I hate that arc) but the character was consistent. The only moment the Brittain kid broke his emotions were with Nunally, and that´s THE only person on the series that he wished for absolute happiness, so it was justified. Eren was unstable. I dont think he was bad (even though I didn´t like his 180° change to "the bad guy" at the beginning of Marley) but nah, he´s nowhere Lelouch.

Yeah I completely agree with you on Code Geass. The Requiem ending made sense and was well-written and consistent to Lelouch's character. AoT on the other hand, used Eren pretending to be the bad guy for no reason, since most of Paradis supported him, and his plan was incomplete. He didn't manage to protect his friends because without the titan curse and the whole world against them after a global genocide, they're screwed. At least Lelouch's actions had a result and his legacy lived on.

I haven't watched the movies for the precise reason that I like the Code Geass ending and would prefer to keep it ambiguous lol
Apr 7, 2021 5:58 PM

Jul 2008
That was awful. Attack on Titan was such a consistently strong and enjoyable manga with writing -- at its many high points -- that was genuinely thrilling. Around the time they reached the ocean, it seemed to break free of its label and became something much sharper and more layered than the usual shounen. It really surprised me in the best of ways, but this past year the manga has felt increasingly lazy and rushed. I don't understand who this ending is for. It's just half-baked bullshit. What a waste of time.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Apr 7, 2021 5:58 PM

Jul 2016
It's definitely an ending that was changed. A real damn shame, cause I could tell it was building up to something really good. It's a fucking shame. A fucking shame
Apr 7, 2021 6:00 PM
Jul 2018
AbyssalPhantasm said:
Did you guys actually read the chapter?
Eren didn't do the rumbling for no reason, and he didn't literally become a bird.

he had the power to go back in time and control Dina. He could've stopped the titans from attacking the walls. Instead, he killed his own mother and blamed the warriors for it.

Mod Edit: Modified quote of edited post.
CravenlockApr 9, 2021 3:25 PM
Apr 7, 2021 6:01 PM
Jun 2014
Eren pulled Lelouch R2 ending, head's off so no cart as well, i like this, now for the epilogue and were done.
Apr 7, 2021 6:02 PM
Nov 2020
chiearlymorning said:
AbyssalPhantasm said:
Did you guys actually read the chapter?

Eren didn't do the rumbling for no reason, and he didn't literally become a bird.

he had the power to go back in time and control Dina. He could've stopped the titans from attacking the walls. Instead, he killed his own mother and blamed the warriors for it.

Well no, he didn’t kill his mom until after he entered the paths. So back when he blamed the warriors he still hadn’t killed his mom yet. It’s like how he made his dad kill the royal family. He didn’t know until that moment. It’s a weird time loop, but it’s been that way since 123.

Mod Edit: Modified quote of edited post.
CravenlockApr 9, 2021 3:19 PM
Apr 7, 2021 6:06 PM
Aug 2017
Fuck me what a garbage ending.
Apr 7, 2021 6:07 PM

Nov 2016
I would've preferred the stuck in a time loop theory way better where they're just doomed to repeat the events that happen forever. I don't care it's a happy ending but it was just done meh. Too many people were brought back.

Too much romance for me personally too. Everything before this was so serious for it to end up just being solved by the power of love that transcends time.
CPU: i7 6700 | GPU: GTX 1070 | RAM: 16GB | HD: 1TB | Moderators are mean! | D. Gray Man Hallow is UNDERRATED!

Apr 7, 2021 6:08 PM

Sep 2019
SoukaTheReal said:
Ghost_BlackOps said:
The whole point was to get rid of the titan powers and the centipede is just the thing that gave them the powers its not important nor the villain. Its just some creature that wants to survive zeke explains this. But whatever if you boil down anything to their most basics its gonna sound silly so do what you please, its just funny reading this comment section people acting like their life is ruined because the manga ended on a happy note. LOL, relax man the thing ended decently stop acting like its this awful dreadful ending but I doubt people on this forum can be objective, continue ragging i guess mal is just a cesspool of greasy whinny weaboos.

Isayama is a genius, peak writing, aot peak fiction let's go, happy? Get lost now if you don't want to see negativity
where is the negativity. What I am seeing here is love. I am so surprised by the fact that it's such an amazing ending which United the fans and haters together on such a level. You won't get that this easily.
"I think I wanted to attack something. Like betraying people or hurting people. And, well, it's not exactly nice, but hurting the readers too... In all honestly, I feel that's what I really wanted to do. For me, as a reader, when I think, "this manga will remain in my heart," it means, for example, it phenomenally hurt me: It's those kinds of experiences I'm after." - Pajime Hisayama (My favourite hurting author).
Apr 7, 2021 6:10 PM

Jul 2016
it's sad seeing a lot of people that were super hopeful of this series and positive dropping the score so low because, as much as it sucks, an ending really can make or break a series, and it's broken attack on titan down several pillars.
Apr 7, 2021 6:14 PM

Aug 2020
Current manga score: 8,73
incredible
a wise user of MAL said:
Just to clarify, adaptations should absolutely stand on their own
Apr 7, 2021 6:14 PM

May 2017
Armin: "Thank you Eren, for turning yourself into a mass murderer for our sake"

Reiner: "Eren, what a man you are!"

Eren: "I don't want her to find another man! I want her to love only me forever! And when I die I want her to mourn me for a long time."

I can't believe this is actual dialogue from my favorite characters..... Literally end me right now, this reads like a fucking abridged series.
Apr 7, 2021 6:17 PM

Apr 2013
Roowanx said:

Eren: "I don't want her to find another man! I want her to love only me forever! And when I die I want her to mourn me for a long time."

I can't believe this is actual dialogue from my favorite characters..... Literally end me right now, this reads like a fucking abridged series.
You forgot Reiner sniffing Historia’s handwriting and making a horse joke. Based af.
Apr 7, 2021 6:17 PM

Sep 2019
Roowanx said:

So, now they aren't your favourite characters.
"I think I wanted to attack something. Like betraying people or hurting people. And, well, it's not exactly nice, but hurting the readers too... In all honestly, I feel that's what I really wanted to do. For me, as a reader, when I think, "this manga will remain in my heart," it means, for example, it phenomenally hurt me: It's those kinds of experiences I'm after." - Pajime Hisayama (My favourite hurting author).
Apr 7, 2021 6:20 PM

Aug 2012
Roowanx said:

Dont forget Reiner that is obsessed with Historia for comic relief and is smelling her letters
Apr 7, 2021 6:20 PM

Oct 2014
A small edit to make Eren more in character with the last arc

Won't redeem the ending, but atleast make Incelren not a fucking thing
Apr 7, 2021 6:25 PM

Aug 2014
So what was the point of this scene again?

Apr 7, 2021 6:26 PM

Dec 2013
Trash, 1/10, absolute waste of a manga and the biggest pussy of an author in the medium. Finally this shitty overhyped dumpsterfire kid show is never going to be talked about again.
Can't wait until all the normie reactors take the 80 store fall when they're gonna reach this part

Nov 2016
Trojan_Invasion said:

To show you how much piss you could fit in Isayama's onsen.
All life is a prelude to death.

May 2017
Peeti said:
Roowanx said:

Those aren't my favorite characters, they're impostors.
Apr 7, 2021 6:29 PM
Jun 2020
I didn't like the ending, but I didn't like it either. It fell short, for a work like SNK the ending is average the truth.
It only remains for me to write; Thank you Hajime Isayama for writing such a Manga for 11 years. It's a 9/10 for me.
Apr 7, 2021 6:32 PM

Mar 2021
Wow, the ending just leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Like, why did everyone turn to titans in the previous chapter if they were just going to go back to normal in this one? Shock value, I guess? It just feels so rushed and unnecessary.

And smh at Eren’s character. I understand that they wanted to show that he was human and still had feelings, but it definitely was not executed well. I hate it when author’s randomly decide to shoehorn romance in when it’s not needed. Not once did he show any romantic interest in Mikasa. But I guess AOT was about a tragic romance all along and I missed it lol. And I’m not even going to talk about him killing his own mom.

Overall, I still enjoyed this series a lot. It had a ton of great/memorable moments. But it’s nowhere near a 10/10. I’d give it a 7 (maybe 6)/10.
Caged_StarApr 7, 2021 7:05 PM
Apr 7, 2021 6:34 PM

Dec 2014
what is the point of turning everyone to titan and then turning them back? just for fun?

what a fucking idiot writing
Signature removed. Check your inbox
Apr 7, 2021 6:38 PM

Sep 2019
Roowanx said:
Peeti said:
Those aren't my favorite characters, they're impostors.
then I must make them mine.
Apr 7, 2021 6:38 PM

Dec 2014
guys, remember to throw rocks to your crush, so that she will let you impregnate her.

alternatively, abuse you wife and have harem so that your wife will be loyalty to you.
Signature removed. Check your inbox
Apr 7, 2021 6:39 PM

Sep 2019
aLotQuestion_ said:
what is the point of turning everyone to titan and then turning them back? just for fun?

what a fucking idiot writing
Fun is what we do were. Serious things are restricted.
Apr 7, 2021 6:40 PM

Mar 2017
so this was my understanding of the chapter after reading a proper translated version rather than the scuff i read before. correct me if i am wrong

so in conclusion ymir had stockholm syndrome & randomly chose mikasa in hopes of her making the choice she couldnt make, disconnect from the person she loves. eren saw this outcome since he was a kid & this is the reason y he killed his mom & genocided 80% of the planet as they were necessary steps to reach the future he aimed for. it was the only way that mikasa would make the decision she made which is killing eren & as a result ymir had the strength to disobey fritz & end the titans shit. additionally, eren saw this as an opportunity for the people of paradis island (armin did) take credit for putting an end to the rumbling which eren claims would grant them the respect of all nations & allowing them to merge back into society. (although this seems like bs in realistic cases, i guess his ability allowed him to c that it worked out)

not a perfect ending but its ayt ig

Apr 7, 2021 6:40 PM

Jan 2021
Holy shit, this thread is incredibly entertaining, way more than the chapter itself. Y'all need to calm down.
Apr 7, 2021 6:49 PM

Aug 2014
Food_poisoning said:
Trojan_Invasion said:

To show you how much piss you could fit in Isayama's onsen.

SnK was just a ploy to fund his onsen
Apr 7, 2021 6:51 PM

Oct 2013
Isayama, from 2000 years to you, and from the bottom of my heart, sincerely, fuck you.
Apr 7, 2021 6:52 PM

Aug 2020
i was here the day the final chapter was released, i feel happy about it. shingeki no kyojin was a beautiful adventure, with its ups and downs, of course, but nevertheless, thank you for this beautiful manga, isayama! :)
Apr 7, 2021 6:55 PM
Jan 2018
That last few pages would make for an excellent TPN Season 2-styled slideshow ending.
Apr 7, 2021 6:55 PM

Jul 2020
One of the trashiest endings I have ever witnessed. I can't even fathom how can some people like this final chapter. Characters literally had a 180° turn. The dialogue was utter shit, to say the least. Never been disappointed with a manga ending like this ever.
krukroooApr 7, 2021 6:59 PM

I accept random friend requests!
Apr 7, 2021 6:56 PM
Dec 2020
Isayama has done it! Hahaha so many people are crying and suffering right now! Hajime Isayama is the greatest troll in manga history! Isayamaaaaaaaaaaaaaa i kneel 🧎‍♂️
Apr 7, 2021 6:57 PM

Oct 2019
Friendship with SNK is over now land of the lustrous is my best friend😎😎.

I was never this mad over an manga ending it could have been eassily much better, this manga is still one of my favorites whitout the rumbeling arc I would give it a 9.5/10 but damn the rumbeling had some good moments but it still dosn't hold up to my expectations from the series....

If this ending was done by isayama just to make the whole fandom unite by hating on him props to him.
Shoko664Apr 7, 2021 7:03 PM
Apr 7, 2021 6:58 PM
Dec 2020
In his interview he said that he wants to hurt the readers and it came true! Hahahahahaha
Apr 7, 2021 6:59 PM
Apr 2021
hey wake up. what are you talking about? eren turn into a dove? the ending was fumbled so hard by isayama? hahaha. don't you remember the manga ended over a year ago with Chapter 123? you are so silly.
Apr 7, 2021 7:00 PM

Aug 2013
The fact that some people actually rated this chapter 5/5 just shows how much fanatics would lap up even the smelliest of turd as long as it's made by the person they worship.
Apr 7, 2021 7:02 PM

Sep 2019
loli_a_ravioli said:
The fact that some people actually rated this chapter 5/5 just shows how much fanatics would lap up even the smelliest of turd as long as it's made by the person they worship.
I wasn't a fan of this manga before but this chapter.... It made me to love it.
Apr 7, 2021 7:04 PM

Jun 2016
DID ISAYAMA JUST GOT'd US? I'm sorry, but I refused to believe that this is the FINAL CHAPTER of AOT. This is better an April Fool's Joke. I'm pretty sure there's a CHAPTER 140. NOPE. NOPE.

Not AOT becoming a shoujo-like manga.

NOPE. NOPE.

This is not the manga I've been reading since 2014.

NO. NO. What happened, Isayama? T_T

As much as I wanted to respect his work on ending his "masterpiece", this is not how I visualized AOT's ending. Why, Isayama? :(

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Apr 7, 2021 7:04 PM

Jun 2017
utter fucking trash, that was so bad, like...promised neverland s2 ending levels of bad

I'll just treat chapter 123 as the canon ending and delete the rest of the manga from my memories

Apr 7, 2021 7:06 PM

Apr 2017
Danae said:
iSpade said:

I mean, this is what happens with those kinds of characters.

See: the difference in Thanos character from IW and Endgame. Even Light in death note. Sometimes I wonder if the publishers allow the authors to have stories where a villain with that ideology wins.

That aside, they could have made a story in this final arc about how genocide is bad without making the titanshifters from Eldia/Marley team-up feel forced and without making Eren's character seem inconsistent

I think this chapter is the result of Isayama trying to redeem Eren. This is shown by how most 104th members started crying when they realized he's Lelouching (nvm that he didnt need to do that bc besides his friends almost the whole island was supporting him). In order to make Eren a hero again and likeable to everyone's eyes, he made him lament everything, halfass his way through an incomplete and dumbass plan and suddenly simp for Mikasa. Now, why he had to do that idk

Yeah I get that Isayama wanted the rest of the cast to like Eren again. The way they went about it was really weird though.

I might be overestimating his ability given on how much he relies on hiding truths from the reader, but I thought his plot structure of worldbuilding, characterization, and reveals had been very good up until now. This feels like an abrupt change for something that had been planned out, and it feels odd to me.

To reiterate on my previous point-

There was an interview from Isayama in which he said he now feels responsible to the reader, and also that he plans to change the way in which the ending is reached (maybe not the ending itself) as a consequence.

I understand that finding a way to make the audience sympathize with the villain while also justifying the villain's defeat is never easy. Writing in itself is a very difficult art. As an author, you might be bothered to find some of your fans support a racist genocidal movement like Eren's. That said, I tend to think most people who engage in fiction know better, and it's not like AoT would be far from the first to acknowledge the existence of such ideologies.

I get the impression that the author's way of redeeming him to the cast was making him less likable in the eyes of the audience, possibly for aforementioned reasons, though it's entirely possible that has nothing to do with it. I simply felt like conjecturing it.

As for Mikasa, the simp thing could have been hinted at a lot more; I'm not a shipper, but he and Historia had much more chemistry in season 3 part 1 alone than the entirety of his time with Mikasa, save two sudden flashback/dream chapters where he asks what he is to Mikasa near the very end of the series. Also, the lelouch thing was predicted like three years ago by what was certainly more than a minority of the fanbase. I personally thought that kind of ending was too obvious since both were so high profile works, but I guess not.

In short, was this really what AoT was building towards all this time? It's not that strange to change the flow of your story as you get new ideas and experiences, but the last 15 chapters or so feel like a departure from what the author seemed to be building towards all this time. Maybe it was just the timeskip; everything else might have been building towards this the whole time. I don't know.

The focus on the pregnancy- the father's ambiguity, showing the childbirth, Eren's motivations and showing how he was all the way back in his childhood through the paths flashback and now his motivations in this paths dream. It's too much misdirection. Misdirection is a good plot tool only so far as you don't make the reader feel betrayed, but rather impressed. The "last panel" of the story which was not actually the last panel is one form of intentional misdirection from the author, though that's not anything particularly awful.
iSpadeApr 7, 2021 7:21 PM
Pages (38) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Should the new "volume 35" art book with an extra chapter about Levi's backstory be considered part of this series or should it get its own entry on here?

ryan77999 - Yesterday

3 by nexuro01 »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 138 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Mar 5, 2021

1128 by Berry-Vodka »»
Apr 25, 11:25 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 4 Discussion

MagEarwhig - Sep 11, 2011

25 by HenryDanger »»
Apr 24, 6:34 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 141 Discussion

venti_e - Sep 30, 2022

32 by Berry-Vodka »»
Apr 20, 1:36 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 77 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 7, 2016

137 by Berry-Vodka »»
Mar 31, 12:03 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.