Forum Settings
Forums

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New
Feb 24, 2021 4:27 PM

May 2020
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shiroishi_HajimeApr 12, 2021 2:31 PM

殺し屋1
˚⁺͙‧☾༓
༓・*˚⁺͙‧
‧͙⁺˚*・༓*˚
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 24, 2021 4:46 PM

Dec 2016
Oke, so, you should post an article here, that would be great. As for it, I doubt it will go anywhere, Sociologists, lawers and every reasonable person scoffed at the loonies in the 2000's and will most likely do it again.

People that stuff like GTA should get banned are the same that belive Harry Potter will drag your kids to hell. They are anoying, but most of the damage they bring into the world is limited to their kids that will most likely want to disow them, lol.
heh.
Feb 24, 2021 5:01 PM

Feb 2010
ah shit here we go again. i guess i'm batman now because i own batman arkham city, asylum and knight as well as the batman telltale series.
GrimAtramentFeb 24, 2021 5:04 PM
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Feb 24, 2021 6:14 PM

Nov 2008
How about fixing Chicago instead of trying to ban games on some faulty data that even the most biased outlets debunks. Stop trying to defund the police in Chicago and instead put double the officers on the streets, it's the fault of gangs not games.

Feb 24, 2021 6:55 PM

Mar 2008
Well that's dumb and kinda late too ....
Feb 25, 2021 12:24 AM

Sep 2018
This is retarded, there hasn't been a GTA game released for 8 years!

I suspect the fact tens of millions of yanks live in 3rd world poverty conditions have more to do with it.
Feb 25, 2021 1:00 AM

Mar 2008
QPR said:
This is retarded, there hasn't been a GTA game released for 8 years!

I suspect the fact tens of millions of yanks live in 3rd world poverty conditions have more to do with it.

Now im hoping for a Grand Theft Auto Illinois lol
Feb 25, 2021 1:30 AM

Sep 2018
Well Chicago is one of the worst cities in the world for crime, the murder rate their is horrific.

GTA would actually be true to life there.
Feb 25, 2021 9:20 AM

Aug 2018
Fiction with morally questionable elements painted in a neutral or positive light is problematic according to many MAL users. GTA fits inside this category.

@Bob-o-Dominador I haven't seen a post that is more ironic
Feb 25, 2021 10:06 AM

Dec 2016
Opticflash said:
Fiction with morally questionable elements painted in a neutral or positive light is problematic according to many MAL users. GTA fits inside this category.

Yeah, that's because you don't understand my position and know nothing about media analises.

Even tho I think a piece of media is problematic it don't means I want to be banned or think that if it was banned it would reduce criminality in the world since those people would be cultivated by the authors anyway.

Also, I don't belive that GTA is even problematic, and even tho I heard people claiming that it is I'm 100% sure that they wouldn't put it in the same level as Redo of a healer.
heh.
Feb 25, 2021 10:11 AM

Aug 2018
Bob-o-Dominador said:
Opticflash said:

know nothing about media analises.

Please, enlighten me on some of your expertise.
Feb 25, 2021 10:28 AM

Dec 2016
Opticflash said:
Bob-o-Dominador said:

know nothing about media analises.

Nah, I'm not a fan of the idea of trying to cramp an subject that big and complex into a MAL post, even more when I know I'm not the most qualified to do it justice. But if I wanted to learn things about Cinema analises I would be a start to talk and hear people that have an education in cinemoatography.
heh.
Feb 25, 2021 10:39 AM

Feb 2021
That lawyer must be an idiot.. Many had tried suing or ban Grand Theft Auto before but no one succeded...
Feb 25, 2021 10:46 AM

Aug 2018
Bob-o-Dominador said:
Opticflash said:

Nah, I'm not a fan of the idea of trying to cramp an subject that big and complex into a MAL post, even more when I know I'm not the most qualified to do it justice. But if I wanted to learn things about Cinema analises I would be a start to talk and hear people that have an education in cinemoatography.

Then let's make one thing painfully clear. For a 19 year old, you know absolutely nothing about media analysis, yet you criticize someone else as if you had some expertise on the matter. You even have the notion of cinematography incorrect, as it is completely irrelevant to the subject of morally questionable elements in fiction. A cinematography class would certainly never tell you whether morally questionable content is problematic or not.

Bob-o-Dominador said:
Also, I don't belive that GTA is even problematic, and even tho I heard people claiming that it is I'm 100% sure that they wouldn't put it in the same level as Redo of a healer.

I can list, to someone who knows next to nothing about GTA, the numerous aspects that are problematic if I used the exact line of reasoning as you and others use for Redo of Healer.
Feb 25, 2021 10:46 AM

Sep 2018
Kids really should not be playing GTA games, but that is up to parents to control rather than banning it for everyone.
Feb 25, 2021 11:08 AM

Dec 2016
Opticflash said:
Then let's make one thing painfully clear. For a 19 year old

Good job making yourself look mad.

Opticflash said:
you know absolutely nothing about media analysis, yet you criticize someone else as if you had some expertise on the matter.

I never said I have a large knowledgement about media analises, but I know that I have more about it than you since in our last discussion you made many rooky mistakes, as thinking that being framed as an Anti Heroes isn't positive framing.

Opticflash said:
I can list, to someone who knows next to nothing about GTA, the numerous aspects that are problematic using the exact line of reasoning as you and others use for Redo of Healer.

Okay, do it them if you want, I doubt you will managed to actually get to that conclusion without extrapolating but if you do what did you archived? I will them have critiscism about both Redo of a Healer and GTA V, and them I will use it to do what I already do, and do not even have anything to do with the thread we are in?

Anyways, it is against foruns rules to have off topic arguments in a thread, I recomend you to go to our private messages or the conversation migth get cleanned again.
N04L1TYFeb 25, 2021 11:39 AM
heh.
Feb 25, 2021 11:51 AM

Aug 2018
Bob-o-Dominador said:
Opticflash said:
Then let's make one thing painfully clear. For a 19 year old

Good job making yourself look mad.

I'm mad that you lack any critical thoughts on the matter.

Bob-o-Dominador said:
Opticflash said:
you know absolutely nothing about media analysis, yet you criticize someone else as if you had some expertise on the matter.

I never said I have a large knowledgement about media analises, but I know that I have more about it than you since in our last discussion you made many rooky mistakes, as thinking that being framed as an Anti Heroes isn't positive framing.

This is an egregious oversimplification of the role of anti-heroes in fiction.

Bob-o-Dominador said:
Opticflash said:
I can list, to someone who knows next to nothing about GTA, the numerous aspects that are problematic using the exact line of reasoning as you and others use for Redo of Healer.

Okay, do it them if you want, I doubt you will managed to actually get to that conclusion without extrapolating but if you do what did you archived? I will them have critiscism about both Redo of a Healer and GTA V, and them I will use it to do what I already do, and do not even have anything to do with the thread we are in?

Anyways, it is against foruns rules to have off topic arguments in a thread, I recomend you to go to our private messages or the conversation migth get cleanned again.

Actually, you brought Redo of Healer up when it wasn't necessary. This thread is clearly about condemnation of a specific work based on its morally questionable elements. Discussing this would be on-topic. Discussing Redo of Healer specifically would be off-topic. Is GTA problematic? I can tell you from MAL's perspective, yes it is.
Feb 25, 2021 12:31 PM

Dec 2016
Opticflash said:

I'm mad that you lack any critical thoughts on the matter.

I don't care why you are mad, I was poiting out that it isn't a good look, not that it really matters - everyone get's mad, so whaterever.

Opticflash said:
This is an egregious oversimplification of the role of anti-heroes in fiction.

No it isn't, that is just saying one caracteristic of it. There is no need to cover all of the arch type to comment in one detail of it. And if you want to change my mind, you have to give me conter exemples, what you are doing is like if you gave me one exemple of GTA V being problematic and I said "This is an egregious oversimplification of the narrative of GTA in the social land scape".

Opticflash said:
Actually, you brought Redo of Healer up when it wasn't necessary.

The reason that I suspec it is off topic isn't because we are talking about Redo of a Healer, since just like GTA it is media that represents morally questionable elements in it, but because you came here to talk about MY positions about representation of morally questionable things in media, I'm not the Illinois lawmaker nor do I agree with him.

Opticflash said:
Is GTA problematic? I can tell you from MAL's perspective, yes it is.

MAL's perspective? Do MAL have an oficcial position about this stuff? Or do you mean me and othe people that where criticizing Redo of a Healer? In the case of the later, what are you waiting for? You already said you can twice, do it.
N04L1TYFeb 25, 2021 12:48 PM
heh.
Feb 25, 2021 1:02 PM

Aug 2018
Bob-o-Dominador said:

No it isn't, that is just saying one caracteristic of it. There is no need to cover all of the arch type to comment in one detail of it. And if you want to change my mind, you actually have to give me conter exemples, what you are doing is like if you gave me one exemple of GTA V being problematic and I said "This is an egregious oversimplification of the narrative of GTA in the social land scape".

First off I did not state that anti-heroes aren't framed in a positive light. The role of the anti-hero is one that makes the audience feel the gamut of emotions from putrid disgust to deep admiration. Dismissing the morally questionable elements because of the anti-hero main character being depicted in a "positive" light is an oversimplification of the issue and misses the point entirely, not to mention juvenile.

Bob-o-Dominador said:
The reason that I suspec it is off topic isn't because we are talking about Redo of a Healer, since just like GTA it is media that represents morally questionable elements in it, but because you came here to talk about MY positions about representation of morally questionable things in media, I'm not the Illinois lawmaker nor do I agree with him.

I did not care about your excuses, as you had brought it up. I just remarked that your post was ironic.

Bob-o-Dominador said:
MAL's perspective? Do MAL have an oficcial position about this stuff? Or do you mean me and othe people that where criticizing Redo of a Healer? In the case of the later, what are you waiting for?

I made a poll a while back on MAL's position regarding morally questionable elements and a significant portion of them said such aspects (over half I believe) shouldn't be portrayed in a positive light, in which over a quarter said they should be presented as vile at the minimum.
Feb 25, 2021 2:30 PM

Dec 2016
Opticflash said:
First off I did not state that anti-heroes aren't framed in a positive light. The role of the anti-hero is one that makes the audience feel the gamut of emotions from putrid disgust to deep admiration. Dismissing the morally questionable elements because of the anti-hero main character being depicted in a "positive" light is an oversimplification of the issue and misses the point entirely, not to mention juvenile.

And when I said that my problem was that Keyaru wasn't sufering consequences from the things he did you said it was okay because he is an anti hero, as if an anti hero was the same as an villan protagonist. Anti heroes are heroes with uneronic flaws, if the rape he did don't affect him in any negative way them rape is good or he can't be an anti hero. To be so them he would have to suffer from it and, unless it is a tragedy, overcome it. But no, in the world of Redo rape makes the world better for everyone.

A good exemple of anti hero is Satsuki from kill la kill, she wants to save the world but to do so she created an autoritarian society, that plan them fails and she needs adapt. If her stroy arc was like Keyarus she would have made her society, saved the world and that's it. Facism saved the day and Satsuki followed her life as normal.

Opticflash said:
I did not care about your excuses, as you had brought it up. I just remarked that your post was ironic.

So what? You are just adimiting to getting wooshed.

Opticflash said:
I made a poll a while back on MAL's position regarding morally questionable elements and a significant portion of them said such aspects (over half I believe) shouldn't be portrayed in a positive light, in which over a quarter said they should be presented as vile at the minimum.

Oke, still waiting you to do it, if you doon't want to do it okay, tell me or whatever.
N04L1TYFeb 25, 2021 2:56 PM
heh.
Feb 25, 2021 3:13 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
I feel scammed. Got over 300 hours on the witcher 3 but I still can't bang every chick I see. smh

NYANPASU
5700XT

Feb 25, 2021 3:14 PM

Jan 2013
BetaMaleUltra said:
I feel scammed. Got over 300 hours on the witcher 3 but I still can't bang every chick I see. smh

Damn and I thought I'd get a super power every time I got close to a wall with runes on it! (Skyrim)
Feb 25, 2021 3:16 PM

Aug 2018
Bob-o-Dominador said:

And when I said that my problem was that Keyaru wasn't sufering consequences from the things he did you said it was okay because he is an anti hero, as if an anti hero was the same as an villan protagonist. Anti heroes are heroes with uneronic flaws, if the rape he did don't affect him in any negative way them rape is good or he can't be an anti hero. To be so them he would have to suffer from it and, unless it is a tragedy, overcome it. But no, in the world of Redo rape makes the world better for everyone.

A good exemple of anti hero is Satsuki from kill la kill, she wants to save the world but to do so she created an autoritarian society, that plan them fails and she needs adapt. If her stroy arc was like Keyarus she would have made her society, saved the world and that's it. Facism saved the day and Satsuki followed her life as normal.

I stated anti-hero to correct your notion that the show presented him as a hero, which is evidently false from all the dialogues, his motives and facial expressions. In addition I don't know why you keep bringing up Redo of Healer; it's clearly off topic from GTA and problematic elements in violent video games in general.

Bob-o-Dominador said:
So what? You are just adimiting to getting wooshed.

I do not believe you understand what getting whooshed means.

Bob-o-Dominador said:
Oke, still waiting you to do it, if you doon't want to do it okay, tell me or whatever.

I do not care about "problematic" anime as it is off topic. GTA has many elements portrayed in a neutral and positive light. Some people would agree with the lawmakers here.
Feb 25, 2021 4:58 PM

Dec 2016
Opticflash said:
I stated anti-hero to correct your notion that the show presented him as a hero

"hero
noun
1. A person who is admired or idealized for courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities."

Anti heros are still herso, my complain is that if he wants to be a hero -any kind of hero- he needs to suffer consequences of his major mistakes or they wouldn't really be framed as a bad thing.

Opticflash said:
which is evidently false from all the dialogues, his motives and facial expressions.

A facial expression is not enogh to solve the problem, there is plenty of people that belive vengance is justifiable and "smiting evil feels good" is a thing, specially in comedy.

Opticflash said:

I don't belive you understand a thing about anything.

Opticflash said:
I do not care about "problematic" anime as it is off topic. GTA has many elements portrayed in a neutral and positive light. Some people would agree with the lawmakers here.

So, after saying I don't even remeber how many times that you could prove that GTA V is problematic by my own logic you will just not do it? Where you one of those kids that had a girl/boy friend and totally could bring her to everyone see but won't?

Problematic anime isn't off topic. And yeah, it is true but who cares if some people may agree with this guy? I'm not some people and so aren't most of the people that think your rape fantasy anime is a mess...
N04L1TYFeb 25, 2021 5:03 PM
heh.
Feb 25, 2021 6:12 PM

Mar 2008
Opticflash said:

It's not even that though because you don't even have close to a small majority even.

Are you even trying?
Feb 25, 2021 6:12 PM

Aug 2018
Bob-o-Dominador said:
Opticflash said:
I stated anti-hero to correct your notion that the show presented him as a hero

"hero
noun
1. A person who is admired or idealized for courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities."

Anti heros are still herso, my complain is that if he wants to be a hero -any kind of hero- he needs to suffer consequences of his major mistakes or they wouldn't really be framed as a bad thing.

Let's drop the semantics. The reason you call anyone a hero is because their character and actions are portrayed as noble or morally good. It is quite plainly evident that the portrayal of his character is not aligned with those the common man believes is noble in any sense.

Bob-o-Dominador said:
Opticflash said:
which is evidently false from all the dialogues, his motives and facial expressions.

A facial expression is not enogh to solve the problem, there is plenty of people that belive vengance is justifiable and "smiting evil feels good" is a thing, specially in comedy.

If you believe fiction is problematic if an anti-hero or villain has their way, that's not anyone else's problem but your own.

Bob-o-Dominador said:
Opticflash said:

I don't belive you understand a thing about anything.

I certainly do understand that you are not very bright (on this issue at the minimum).

Bob-o-Dominador said:
So, after saying I don't even remeber how many times that you could prove that GTA V is problematic by my own logic you will just not do it? Where you one of those kids that had a girl/boy friend and totally could bring her to everyone see but won't?

GTA presents violent and illegal methods of solving problems as normal (shooting police, taking "gang" territories, conducting drive bys, revenge for petty actions, stealing vehicles, etc.).

traed said:
Opticflash said:

It's not even that though because you don't even have close to a small majority even.

Are you even trying?

It doesn't seem like you understand what truth is. Are you even trying?
Feb 25, 2021 6:22 PM

Dec 2016
Opticflash said:
GTA presents violent and illegal methods of solving problems as normal (shooting police, taking "gang" territories, conducting drive bys, revenge for petty actions, stealing vehicles, etc.).

Being violent or illegal don't necesary makes a thing imoral and even the cases where it is imoral if the characters that participated in it get apropiated consequences or framing trougth the history then it is okay. Also, the history don't portrait the really bad stuff as normal as far as I remeber, really, wasn't Michael family is basically screaming at him all the time to get his shit together and learn to live a normal live, and in one of the finals we even kill Trevor because he can't control himself.

You talk a really big game but that is the weakest bite, I not even agains't the idea that GTA V migth be problematic, but half of what you told me is like the most basic thing about GTA ever, did you expect to change anyone mids or something?
N04L1TYFeb 25, 2021 6:42 PM
heh.
Feb 25, 2021 6:28 PM

Aug 2018
Bob-o-Dominador said:
Being violent or illegal don't necesary makes a thing imoral and

Why do you believe murder, stealing is illegal if it were not for our moral conscience tellins us that these actions are harmful?

Bob-o-Dominador said:
even the cases where it is imoral the characters that participated in it get apropiated consequences.

No, they don't actually. The main characters often achieve success at the end in the form of wealth and stability. That's the whole point of the storylines.

Bob-o-Dominador said:
Also, the history don't portrait it as normal, really, Michael family is basically screaming at him all the time to get his shit together and learn to live a normal live, in one of the finals we even kill Trevor because he isn't capable of acting normal.

I'll have to tell you again I am not referring specifically to GTA V but the GTA games in general. The main characters encountering problems along the way doesn't dispel the notion that the actions are portrayed in a neutral and positive light, when the characters usually achieving some form of success at the end.
Feb 25, 2021 6:32 PM

Jul 2016
okay but how good is gta anyways...

but banning games is cringe
Feb 25, 2021 6:33 PM

Aug 2018
Hajime_Shiroishi said:
If you're siding by the notion that the GTA series are societally problematic, you are severely mistaken. Media violence cannot cause actual violence among the overwhelming majority of young men, but it might propel a few susceptible, violence-prone young men to violence. Less than one percent. One percent of anything is far too small when put into the full picture. The past twenty to thirty years of both 2D and 3D rendered videogame violence has unquestionably made the majority, if not all of gamers habituated to the contents of the games, no matter the level of intensity. As if it were desensitization. However, desensitization does not correlate to deviant behavior. Neither do violent video games in general correlate themselves to deviant behavior.

I agree with everything you have stated, however there are some people who don't understand this and are blatant hypocrites when it comes to other forms of fiction, which was why I made a post in the first place.
Feb 25, 2021 7:07 PM

Dec 2016
Opticflash said:
Why do you believe murder, stealing is illegal if it were not for our moral conscience tellins us that these actions are harmful?

Muder is the unlawful killing of a person, if the law says that it is ilegal to you to kill an x person even if they want to kill you them murdering them is totally moraly okay by me. As for stealing, what about stealing to survive, specially from people that won't even get really affeted? I would say that it is at least a grey area.

Opticflash said:
No, they don't actually. The main characters often achieve success at the end in the form of wealth and stability. That's the whole point of the storylines.

Whealt I know they do but stability, like emotional stability? Even in the finals where Michael and Trevor die? Serious question.

Opticflash said:
I'll have to tell you again I am not referring specifically to GTA V but the GTA games in general.

I would like to discuss the 5 in specific, I already barely know anything about the 5 thinking and researching about the rest is just too much.

heh.
Feb 25, 2021 8:25 PM

Aug 2018
Bob-o-Dominador said:

Muder is the unlawful killing of a person, if the law says that it is ilegal to you to kill an x person even if they want to kill you them murdering them is totally moraly okay by me.

As for stealing, what about stealing to survive, specially from people that won't even get really affeted? I would say that it is at least a grey area.

I am not equating morality to lawful. I shouldn't need to spell this out for you. There are obvious exceptions such as self defense (which is legal if you did not realize) which is not the case for violent video games. I am talking about instances where murder and theft is done out of malice, greed, etc. in fiction.

Bob-o-Dominador said:
Whealt I know they do but stability, like emotional stability? Even in the finals where Michael and Trevor die? Serious question.

For the last time I am not talking about GTA V nor have I played that game. Do you have a reading problem? Look at GTA San Andreas or GTA Vice City.

Bob-o-Dominador said:
I would like to discuss the 5 in specific, I already barely know anything about the 5 thinking and researching about the rest is just too much.

I am not talking about this. I am talking about the aspects that you would refer to as problematic across a number of GTA games.
Feb 25, 2021 9:39 PM

Dec 2016
Opticflash said:
I am not equating morality to lawful. I shouldn't need to spell this out for you. There are obvious exceptions such as self defense

No, you totally where, you fucking took a problem with me saying that doing crime and violence isn't necesarily moraly bad.

Opticflash said:
I am talking about instances where murder and theft is done out of malice, greed, etc. in fiction.

And those exemples, that are far less common btw, can fall under what I said before - "even the cases where it is imoral if the characters that participated in it get apropiated consequences or framing trougth the history then it is okay"

Opticflash said:
For the last time I am not talking about GTA V

Well, you are pretty stupid them, because even before this tread I have been very up front that I was talking and only give a fuck about the last one.

Opticflash said:
I am talking about the aspects that you would refer to as problematic across a number of GTA games.

But you aren't, you always say "They do violence and other unetical things!" guess what? I don't think that it is necesaraly problematic, and even if I found GTA games to be problematic, so what? What will have you proven? That when a series do a mistake that is similar to the mistake in Redo of a Healer I critizice them in similar ways?
heh.
Feb 25, 2021 10:00 PM

Aug 2018
Bob-o-Dominador said:
Opticflash said:
I am not equating morality to lawful. I shouldn't need to spell this out for you. There are obvious exceptions such as self defense

No, you totally where, you fucking took a problem with me saying that doing crime and violence isn't necesarily moraly bad.

Let's participate in an elementary school discussion.

I said
Opticflash said:

I mean GTA characters do bad things. These bad things are very bad. They are done out of greed and selfishness.

Bob-o-Dominador said:
Opticflash said:
I am talking about instances where murder and theft is done out of malice, greed, etc. in fiction.

And those exemples, that are far less common btw, can fall under what I said before - "even the cases where it is imoral if the characters that participated in it get apropiated consequences or framing trougth the history then it is okay"

These characters become very happy at the end. They are smiling. They have lots of money, enough to buy 1 billion candies.

Bob-o-Dominador said:
Opticflash said:
For the last time I am not talking about GTA V

Well, you are pretty stupid them, because even before this tread I have been very up front that I was talking and only give a fuck about the last one.

Many other GTA games have very bad things.

Bob-o-Dominador said:
Opticflash said:
I am talking about the aspects that you would refer to as problematic across a number of GTA games.

But you aren't, you always say "They do violence and other unetical things!" guess what? I don't think that it is necesaraly problematic, and even if I found GTA games to be problematic, so what? What will have you proven? That when a series do a mistake that is similar to the mistake in Redo of a Healer I critizice them in similar ways?

GTA is problematic because the characters do very naughty things, you see?
Feb 26, 2021 6:20 AM

Dec 2016
Opticflash said:
Bob-o-Dominador said:

I said
Opticflash said:

I mean GTA characters do bad things. These bad things are very bad. They are done out of greed and selfishness.

Bob-o-Dominador said:

These characters become very happy at the end. They are smiling. They have lots of money, enough to buy 1 billion candies.

Bob-o-Dominador said:

Bob-o-Dominador said:

Woah, how haven't I tougth about it before? It is almost like I haven't said 1 billion times that even the cases where characters do imoral things that migth not be problematic depending on the context or framing of the text Oh, wait, I did!

Seriously, bye, you are too stupid. If you wanted me to say GTA is problematic, all you have to do is find one character in the series that is genuanily sucessfull from the imoral actions they do and you couldn't even bother to try.

And even s if you sucefully did, you would had only prove that one GTA game is problematic, wich in this case means that it migth reinforce opnions, and don't means that I think it needs to be made illegal and does significant damage to society! It almost as if my opinion is much more nuanced that you is portraiting it to be!
heh.
Feb 26, 2021 6:24 AM

Aug 2018
Bob-o-Dominador said:
Opticflash said:

I said

Woah, how haven't I tougth about it before? It is almost like I haven't said 1 billion times that even the cases where characters do imoral things that migth not be problematic depending on the context or framing of the text Oh, wait, I did!

Seriously, bye, you are too stupid. If you wanted me to say GTA is problematic, all you have to do is find one character in the series that is genuanily sucessfull from the imoral actions they do and you couldn't even bother to try.

And even s if you sucefully did, you would had only prove that one GTA game is problematic, wich in this case means that it migth make people that already hold an opnion a little stronger or weaker, and don't means that I think it needs to be made illegal or that it alone is capable of doing significant damage to society. It almost as if my opinion is much more nuanced that you is portraiting it to be!

Character do bad thing see as good

Was your IQ high enough to help you pass middle school?
OpticflashFeb 26, 2021 6:35 AM
Feb 26, 2021 6:57 AM

Apr 2011
As we all know, Genghis Khan was ranked first in GTA online all the way back in the 13th century...... what's that? There was no GTA back then? Outrageous. How did he know how to commit horrific murders without a violent video game showing him?
Feb 26, 2021 5:23 PM

Aug 2009
Hajime_Shiroishi said:
I'm not gonna mention anybodys full name, cuz the mods hate that, but a lawmaker had proposed to ban the game due to a rise in carjacking's. This is reminiscent from what happened during the early to mid 2000s when activist Jack -you-know-who proposed to ban the sale of the Grand Theft Auto franchise, and was persistent about it for almost a decade straight. Let me start out by saying that this is literally fcked up on all ends of the spectrum. This is does not only repudiate scientific fact, this also goes against the grain of the US' constitution, and also acts as a ploy to distract people from the real threat due to the tremendous ineptitude of those in charge. I believe that this is a great way to destroy ones political career. It is the absolute easiest way to flush it straight down the toilet to never be returned again. It is a great way to waste a cities budget (especially in the millions), and it is an immaculate way to be seen as the public enemy. Video game violence being connoted to real world violence is outdated, overly credulous, ignorant, and tyrannical. Wow, wow, wow.

https://abc7chicago.com/chicago-carjackings-grand-theft-auto-ban-video-game/10363932/

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/540215-illinois-lawmakers-seek-partial-ban-of-grand-theft-auto-game-following

https://fox40.com/news/political-connection/illinois-lawmaker-proposes-banning-grand-theft-auto-video-game-due-to-rise-in-carjackings/

Idiots have office have been trying to blame violence on video games even when video games looked like this

Feb 26, 2021 5:38 PM

Mar 2011
Sows how out of step those in political positions are-- and this is likely a political move to give the visage the person was trying to do something in their job. Funny how people rather do easy work than face the underlying causes.
"In the end the World really doesn't need a Superman. Just a Brave one"
Feb 26, 2021 7:05 PM

Jul 2019
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result." But who knows maybe this time it's going to work.
Life is a despicable endurance race
Feb 26, 2021 7:55 PM

Dec 2012
ezikialrage said:
Hajime_Shiroishi said:
I'm not gonna mention anybodys full name, cuz the mods hate that, but a lawmaker had proposed to ban the game due to a rise in carjacking's. This is reminiscent from what happened during the early to mid 2000s when activist Jack -you-know-who proposed to ban the sale of the Grand Theft Auto franchise, and was persistent about it for almost a decade straight. Let me start out by saying that this is literally fcked up on all ends of the spectrum. This is does not only repudiate scientific fact, this also goes against the grain of the US' constitution, and also acts as a ploy to distract people from the real threat due to the tremendous ineptitude of those in charge. I believe that this is a great way to destroy ones political career. It is the absolute easiest way to flush it straight down the toilet to never be returned again. It is a great way to waste a cities budget (especially in the millions), and it is an immaculate way to be seen as the public enemy. Video game violence being connoted to real world violence is outdated, overly credulous, ignorant, and tyrannical. Wow, wow, wow.

https://abc7chicago.com/chicago-carjackings-grand-theft-auto-ban-video-game/10363932/

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/540215-illinois-lawmakers-seek-partial-ban-of-grand-theft-auto-game-following

https://fox40.com/news/political-connection/illinois-lawmaker-proposes-banning-grand-theft-auto-video-game-due-to-rise-in-carjackings/

Idiots have office have been trying to blame violence on video games even when video games looked like this
Before video games, it was movies. Before movies, it was music. Before music, it was books. And then paintings. And then papyrus scrolls. And then monkey dung spread out on a cave wall.

Control freaks historically scapegoat individual responsibility on everything else except the actual person at fault.
Feb 26, 2021 8:12 PM

Feb 2010
Opticflash said:

Our moral conscious tells us this is wrong?
how so?

it's only historically recently that things like dueling was outlawed.
not to mention many still favor the death penalty despite it's hypocritical nature.

and stealing is even less "ingrained."

most parents have to teach there kids not to steal.

personally i subscribe to the idea that morality is taught not instinctual.
I don't think morality is bad, but i do think it's something that is taught not inherited.

laws change form era to era.

you only have to look at things such as
being allowed to be critical of the government without being executed or confined. such decent back when we had kings and nobles such behavior was considered treason.
consent age has changed drastically from medieval ages where some one was considered an adult at the age of 15 rather then the more modern time of 18.
there's the prohibition law which banned drinking. which now the prohibition itself is considered illegal.

if "morality" was innate there would be a lot less arguments about what is right and wrong.
GrimAtramentFeb 26, 2021 8:18 PM
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Feb 27, 2021 11:06 AM

Aug 2018
hazarddex said:
Opticflash said:

how so?

not to mention many still favor the death penalty despite it's hypocritical nature.

I don't think morality is bad, but i do think it's something that is taught not inherited.

being allowed to be critical of the government without being executed or confined. such decent back when we had kings and nobles such behavior was considered treason.
consent age has changed drastically from medieval ages where some one was considered an adult at the age of 15 rather then the more modern time of 18.
there's the prohibition law which banned drinking. which now the prohibition itself is considered illegal.

if "morality" was innate there would be a lot less arguments about what is right and wrong.

I more or less agree with you there. I was posting because there are some very stupid people who have no issues with video games depicting murder and theft done out of malice, greed or confidence, yet are the first to call other fictional work problematic for their depiction of other moral issues.
Feb 27, 2021 12:03 PM

Jun 2011
Opticflash said:
hazarddex said:

how so?

I more or less agree with you there. I was posting because there are some very stupid people who have no issues with video games depicting murder and theft done out of malice, greed or confidence, yet are the first to call other fictional work problematic for their depiction of other moral issues.

I don't get why you were fighting with Bob unless you want GTA to be illegal for being problematic. XD being Problematic doesn't mean anything.

If all illegal acts depicted in a positive light were banned, even Pokemon would be banned. (dog fighting) fuck yeah, Pokemon is problematic by this same standard.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Feb 27, 2021 10:40 PM

Aug 2018
Energetic-Nova said:
Opticflash said:

I don't get why you were fighting with Bob unless you want GTA to be illegal for being problematic. XD being Problematic doesn't mean anything.

If all illegal acts depicted in a positive light were banned, even Pokemon would be banned. (dog fighting) fuck yeah, Pokemon is problematic by this same standard.

@Bob-o-Dominador is the type of person who claims shows like Redo of Healer are problematic. They spent much of their time claiming it encourages "incel" behavior and rape, even going to say it is an example of "cultivation theory", without putting even a modicum of thought into how people view fiction in general, which is why I called this individual's first post in this thread ironic. Not only that, there are many controversies with morally questionable elements in fiction (e.g. "pedophilia" in shows such as Mushoku Tensei) when they shouldn't be controversial at all. I am just tired of people opening their hypocritical mouths.
Feb 27, 2021 11:00 PM

Jun 2011
Opticflash said:
Energetic-Nova said:

@Bob-o-Dominador is the type of person who claims shows like Redo of Healer are problematic. They spent much of their time claiming it encourages "incel" behavior and rape, even going to say it is an example of "cultivation theory", without putting even a modicum of thought into how people view fiction in general, which is why I called this individual's first post in this thread ironic. Not only that, there are many controversies with morally questionable elements in fiction (e.g. "pedophilia" in shows such as Mushoku Tensei) when they shouldn't be controversial at all. I am just tired of people opening their hypocritical mouths.

Calling something problematic and wanting it to be banned or two entirely different things. Did Bob say that they wanted this show to be banned? Or did they just say that it was problematic?

EDIT:
Well, I looked through that anime’s forums and found Bob saying “ I don't care if the show is misogynistic (it isn't in) or anything, terrible people have the rigth to free speach.” wow. Almost as if they said this because people like you like to twist what people say when they are critical of anime.
Energetic-NovaFeb 27, 2021 11:19 PM
Feb 27, 2021 11:43 PM

Aug 2018
Energetic-Nova said:
Opticflash said:

Calling something problematic and wanting it to be banned or two entirely different things. Did Bob say that they wanted this show to be banned? Or did they just say that it was problematic?

EDIT:
Well, I looked through that anime’s forums and found Bob saying “ I don't care if the show is misogynistic (it isn't in) or anything, terrible people have the rigth to free speach.” wow. Almost as if they said this because people like you like to twist what people say when they are critical of anime.

They called it problematic but stated it shouldn't necessarily be banned.

Before you open your mouth, please do consider that the anime sub is heavily moderated and many posts were removed. I'm not twisting things in any way.
OpticflashFeb 28, 2021 12:05 AM
Feb 28, 2021 12:01 AM
Jul 2018
My stance on this is clear. If you happen to be a normally functioning individual, you'd draw a line between fiction and reality. If you happen to be mentally-challenged, you'd fail to do so. Watching attack on titan and supporting Eren
Shooting people in Call of Duty or robbing a bank and killing people in GTA doesn't mean you condone either of those action. Reality can be frustrating and fiction exists in order for us to blow off some steam. Banning fiction or art that's considered negative by a bunch of boomers would only increase problems in reality cause they're essentially cutting off that outlet. Everyone needs a break from reality and that's the purpose of fiction. Not being able to draw a line between the two comes down to the mental stability of the individual in question. The world would be a better place if boomers stop bitching about video games and consider real world problems that require action and attention. It's easy to cover up your incompetence by blaming video games for everything.
Feb 28, 2021 1:52 AM

Jun 2011
Opticflash said:
Energetic-Nova said:

EDIT:

Before you open your mouth, please do consider that the anime sub is heavily moderated and many posts were removed. I'm not twisting things in any way.

And is Bob in a position of power to actually change anything? Well then they’re not a hypocrite at all. They don’t want the show banned. They literally said that they are for free speech even for bad people. And I don’t think you need to be feel threatened or called them a hypocrite.

I just looked around until I found the first thing that Bob said. I looked around until I could find one thing. The first quote I could find, absolutely refuted what you were saying about them.

Feb 28, 2021 2:39 AM

Aug 2018
Energetic-Nova said:
Opticflash said:

And is Bob in a position of power to actually change anything? Well then they’re not a hypocrite at all. They don’t want the show banned. They literally said that they are for free speech even for bad people. And I don’t think you need to be feel threatened or called them a hypocrite.

I just looked around until I found the first thing that Bob said. I looked around until I could find one thing. The first quote I could find, absolutely refuted what you were saying about them.

Can you tell me where is the line between calling fiction "problematic" and demanding it be banned? If I had a megaphone and claimed GTA is problematic because it encourages violence, tried to give references to studies I thought backed up the notion that games like GTA can have negative influence to society, I would face backlash from people who claim GTA shouldn't be banned. It's akin to saying "listen everyone GTA is bad for society, it's violent and encourages criminal behavior... but no no I don't want it regulated" which is comical at best. The implications of labelling something as problematic is one that advocates for censorship, whether directly from the person who issued the statement through their own admission or indirectly through shaming the authors of such fiction through condemnation and encouraging others to take a stance on censorship.

The first quote you could find did not refute anything I said about them. What I said about them is a reiteration of what they have said previously, and one quote that is not relevant to my claims about them (that they said certain fiction were problematic, said it encourages "incel" thinking, and tried to use studies they thought backed up their claims) doesn't dismiss this. I did not call them a hypocrite, but if they were then it is not with regards to advocating for censorship. It is with regards to their talking points made in favor of violent video games but against other fiction with other morally questionable content.
OpticflashFeb 28, 2021 2:47 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.