Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 28, 2021 5:43 AM
Apr 2018
Kh4yn3 said:
Eldia has conquered, terrorized and ruled over the entire world for about 2000 years until they were beaten by marley. So my sympathies do kinda lie with them

Having said that, all the characters have legit motivation for what they do and I cant really blame anyone for doing what they do so far in the anime.

Exactly this. I think people tend to forget that Marley also went through a lot of crap even for longer, so you can get behind their hatred.
Jan 28, 2021 6:06 AM

Jan 2018
Jaeger_bomb said:
So I finally caught up with the anime and the final season is definitely a banger also I liked how we got to see things from the marleyans point of view. And that scene with Eren talking to Reiner gave me goosebumps.
I feel bad for the civilians who are getting killed because of the war but at the end of the day I still feel marleyans started this whole thing. If they never brainwashed their people and sent titans to Paradis none of the events would have happened.
People call Eren a Hitler reincarnate but I don't see it that way. Eren wants freedom not domination.

Well actually if we go with the information we currently have eledia has been doing a lot of war way before marley got power

Who started first shouldn't be the measurement here.

Marley hand is also forced because they have to obtain the founder to secure there power. The failure at paradise led to another country starting a war with them.
Marley has to many enemys

Either way the civilians aren't at fault.

Their government saw themselves forced to take those actions the same way eren sees himself being forced to take the actions he does .

That's why he isn't blaming reiner or anybody else anymore. It's just something he has to do to move forward
Jan 28, 2021 6:08 AM

Jan 2018
Zant486 said:
Kh4yn3 said:
Eldia has conquered, terrorized and ruled over the entire world for about 2000 years until they were beaten by marley. So my sympathies do kinda lie with them

Having said that, all the characters have legit motivation for what they do and I cant really blame anyone for doing what they do so far in the anime.

Exactly this. I think people tend to forget that Marley also went through a lot of crap even for longer, so you can get behind their hatred.

Yeah I think it's kind of crazy how many people think marley started everything

The YouTube comment sections sections of erens transformation scene often say that marley deserves it because they attacked first .

Wich is like the exact opposite of what eren said in that very scene xD
They are the same
Jan 28, 2021 6:11 AM

Jan 2018
wakenowakane said:
Lol screw the marleyans, they deserve what's coming to them.

Eren is right.

Yeah but didn't eren say " they are the same " ?

Eren didn't say that they deserve to die at all
Jan 28, 2021 6:11 AM
Jun 2009
Kayleon said:
DomineLkira said:
Only the average Marleyan who has no say in the policies of the Marley government and just wants to live his life peacefully.
The government and the other higher ups can fuck themselves.

We have seen that most of Marley citizens support war as german citizens supported the Nazi back in 1939

So you've been taught all your life that Nazis are evil right?

If the Nazis came back today, would you support a war in eradicating them?
Jan 28, 2021 6:35 AM

Jan 2018
Saber_Evergarden said:
KILL ALL THE MARLEY THOTS.

Eren suffered enough, let him take his revenge. Amen.

This isn't about revenge thought.
Eren directly rejects this idea when reiner asks if that is why he came to marley.

Eldia has been destroying innumerable cultures for 2000 years

Doesn't that mean that their attack is justified because " they suffered "?

Saying all marleyn people should die is just the same as saying everyone on paradise island is a devil that needs to be killed.
Jan 28, 2021 6:41 AM

Jan 2018
You know I thought the way isayama portraits many of the characters later on in the story is crazy and unrealistic considering those characters should know better after everything they know but now that I see how people that know even more don't get the point of this anime I'm just amazed at how real isayamas characters are .

It's really scary
Jan 28, 2021 6:51 AM

Jan 2018
jaded15 said:
only the honorary ones

i understand that innocent people died but they were already in agreement about the start of the war

Doesn't that mean that terrorism is justified because western citizens didn't stop the wars that created those terrorists ?

We can't just say everyone who lives under a government deserves the consequences of what that government does
Jan 28, 2021 7:52 AM

Dec 2014
I sympathize for innocent lives lost from both sides.
There are just "good" and "evil" people, and that's the truth of the world
Today they say you're crazy, tomorrow they will say you're a genious.
Jan 28, 2021 8:27 AM
Apr 2018
CuteAssTiger said:
You know I thought the way isayama portraits many of the characters later on in the story is crazy and unrealistic considering those characters should know better after everything they know but now that I see how people that know even more don't get the point of this anime I'm just amazed at how real isayamas characters are .

It's really scary

Never thought of it that way, good insight.
Jan 28, 2021 10:43 AM

Aug 2020
CuteAssTiger said:
jaded15 said:
only the honorary ones

i understand that innocent people died but they were already in agreement about the start of the war

Doesn't that mean that terrorism is justified because western citizens didn't stop the wars that created those terrorists ?

We can't just say everyone who lives under a government deserves the consequences of what that government does

It depends what perspective your looking at it from as oppressors could feel that they are the ones being oppressed and visa versa. I 100% agree with you but in a war innocent people die on both sides so it was to be expected because thats how it works the majority of the time.

jump....I SAID JUMP

Jan 28, 2021 11:47 PM

Dec 2020
Tasel said:
I don't sympathize with Marleyans, I don't sympathize with Eldians, I only care about the characters I've spent 3 seasons with.

If Hunter x Hunter couldn't get me to sympathize with Chimera Ants, no way in hell is Attack on Titan gonna make me care about nameless civilians.

This. Every bit of this. I know I'm supposed to sympathize with the civilians in Marley, but I just... don't. At the end of the day, I want to see Levi and co wreck everything because the past few years have been exhausting and I need the catharsis.
Jan 29, 2021 1:25 AM

Feb 2020
well i'm not on Eren's side, and i will never.

Jaeger_bomb said:

People call Eren a Hitler reincarnate but I don't see it that way. Eren wants freedom not domination.

people calling Eren Hitler for other things that not happen yet.

and this "freedom" yeah right, Eren hate slaves, but actually is Eren a slave to his freedom.
Jan 30, 2021 10:44 AM

Jul 2020
I have mixed feelings for this because it's the fault of both of them.
Spoiler for episode 6-7

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Jan 30, 2021 11:07 AM

Sep 2019
I have zero sympathy towards Marley and I have even less sympathy for the honourary Marleyians (ie: mainland Eldians).
The honourary Marleyians have been slaughtering many people in other nations (not just Paradis) that Marley wants to occupy destroying entire nations just to get on the good side of Marley to gain Mareylian citizenship to gain the same privilges that other regular Marleyian citizens have.

it's like imagine if the world was controlled by the KKK, then a bunch black people pledge loyalty to the KKK and then start slaughtering all other black people in addition to all the other minorities just to get on the good side of the KKK so that they themselves escape persecution.
Or imagine if in WW2 a bunch of jews pledged loyalty to Hitler and then went on to slaughter other Jews in addition to killing other ethnic groups just to prove to Hitler that they are loyal to him so that he would spare them.

traitors who not only pledge loyalty to their oppressor but even help this oppressor against all others (remember Marley occupied several nations thanks to the "warriors") deserve nothing but humiliating death which is what Eren is giving to them.
Jan 30, 2021 11:29 AM

Nov 2020
I sympathize with the country Mikasa past ancesters come from

Jan 30, 2021 11:40 AM
Jul 2020
This is an absolutely nuanced question that a simple yes or no cannot do justice.

I actually just got caught up to the anime, and my wife is a manga reader and we actually had a small debate around the events of the latest episodes.

Basically, I was giddy as hell as all of our favorite characters starting finally showing up, grizzled and older, and catching everyone with their pants practically at their ankles. Watching the scouts we know pop out one at a time, was just absolutely joyous. My wife was jokingly acting like I'm some kind of monster as the show depicts them just straight murdering characters the last 2-3 episodes spent getting us acquainted with.

The problem is that I've seen shows do this before, it's a tactic. They try to get you to see the human side and then crudely wipe them out in even violent ways to manipulate you emotionally, but unfortunately I am not vulnerable to this. Here's my take:

I've grown up watching this show from mostly Eren's POV. HIS team. His nation. The show built that foundation on its own. It wasn't a purely arbitrary connection I made, the show did that.

So to me, this is Eren fighting for survival. This is "our guys" fighting back the oppressors. These are characters I know and am passionate about and invested in seeing their survival, and I currently agree that what they are doing constitutes their best chance at it.

Now does this mean I don't feel bad for civilians being killed? Children dying? Of course not.

However, I don't see this as *Eren's fault*. The fault of this falls squarely on the leadership. They brought this on their own people. They drove Paradis in to a corner where they had to fight for their own survival, and as unfortunate as it is, war has very real collateral damage, and the Marleyans started that war.

It doesn't matter what happened centuries ago, in regards to the the Eldians and their dominance, what matters is now, in this generation, they pushed a nation/society to the brink, and Paradis did only did what was logical.

So when I see children dying and civilians being brutally killed, my instant thought isn't "Wow Eren is evil", it's "Man, fuck their leadership, they did this to them".

There's no winner and losers in war, but if you had to call out who made the mistakes that led to this event, the Marleyans of today are squarely to blame. They are responsible for this tragedy. The Paradis residents are just doing what they have to do to ensure their own existence. They literally interrupted a festival who's only purpose was to demonize them FURTHER and bring other nations on board with their destruction. What's the alternative? Stay within their walls and die?
Jan 30, 2021 11:58 AM
Apr 2019
Didn't want to bring reality in a discussion on fiction

A race which can turn into titans ,slaughtered an unimaginable number of people and set a huge empire which ruled for 2000 years

I definitely can't see I'll be appreciating them . Even an innocent Eldian child can be a source of hatred ,it's proven within history. Not defending any opinions but saying you can't blame them entirely. Like I wouldn't care who killed my great-grea-great grandfather but someone might do and they really do ,especially if it's a remarkable moment in history . A good example would be how North Koreans are brainwashed to think about their ruler and the outside world. You don't blame them but blame who caused them to be like where they are standing right now

Majority of Marleyans or Eldians didn't kill anybody in their life so can't see why I wouldn't feel sorry for them who are being killed just because they are on the wrong side.
NakolHiraJan 30, 2021 12:06 PM
Jan 30, 2021 12:24 PM

Dec 2020
@objkenkage

Honorary Marleyans are the mainland Eldians who also earned the citizenship in Marley. Only the warriors and their families own that status, which are just a handful of people. The rest, most of them, aren't even considered Marleyans and enjoy much less human rights. Some of them probably would never fight for Marley but they don't voice out loud their discontents in fear of the consequences. Not everyone is as brainwashed and/or subservient as the warriors but fighting back would mean losing their lives.
Jan 30, 2021 1:01 PM
Jul 2020
CuteAssTiger said:
Zant486 said:

The YouTube comment sections sections of erens transformation scene often say that marley deserves it because they attacked first .

They are the same
No, it completely depends how you perceive the situation.

Eren is likely unconcerned with centuries-old history of which race/nation dominated which. His entire motivation is the survival of *his* country, which is inarguably the nation of the oppressed in this current moment in time.

In the life time of our current "heroes" on offense in Marley, they are doing what they feel is necessary to survive, through a body of deliberation that took likely years, and for most of our heroes, they've been exposed to enough throughout their whole lives even to justify it further.

You corner an animal, it's going to bite, and that's exactly what the Paradis residents are doing here.

It is up to the current leaders to *learn from history* so that history will not be repeated, and that means learning from the mistakes of both you *and* your enemy.

The Marleyan government brought this on themselves. They don't get an excuse just because "Eldians used to pwn them". It was their responsibility as leaders to be the change they'd like to see. King Fritz essentially made the first move towards the high road, but Marleyans just *couldn't help themselves*. They fucked this up. They killed Zofia, and Udo. They killed Porco. It's on them.
Jan 30, 2021 1:28 PM
May 2020
This how i see it Marley was never in control all they really did was follow the secret plan of king Fritz so to me they never really left. They're still under the eldian rule
Jan 30, 2021 2:34 PM
Sep 2017
The whole idea of descendant have to be responsible for ancestors sins is idiot. Who ever came up with that idea is a purely racist, i have no sympathize for them.

I recently watch a video on youtube about "kamikaze" and i feel bad for them. I realize how much those kamikaze pilot been brainwashed by the emperor "for the glory of japan blah2..". They have to sacrifice themselves to kill innocent people, which they believe is for the good and an honor. I feel the paralel between kamikaze pilot and AoT's Warrior.

Now i think maybe Warrior's is a reference for those kamikaze
Jan 30, 2021 2:47 PM
Dec 2016
Jaeger_bomb said:
So I finally caught up with the anime and the final season is definitely a banger also I liked how we got to see things from the marleyans point of view. And that scene with Eren talking to Reiner gave me goosebumps.
I feel bad for the civilians who are getting killed because of the war but at the end of the day I still feel marleyans started this whole thing. If they never brainwashed their people and sent titans to Paradis none of the events would have happened.

I definitely do. I didn't in the manga, but in the last two episodes I've felt bad for the marleyans.
Jan 30, 2021 2:56 PM

Oct 2010
to be fair, the random civilians have nothing to do with the conflict, their only sin is the hate they carry towards the eldians and not thinking about the truth. They are just brainwashed for the greater good of the marley empire, can't blame them for being dumb and stupid.
i remember scenes in s3p2 when the marleyans were acting rude towards grischa, any civilized human being would not care about random children walking around but the marleyan chose the easy path of not thinking and acting evil towards some people who were just born as eldians. So I guess they still are kinda guilty for eldian treatment, how come there was no marleyan who was good and kind towards an eldian? why didn't I see no story about that?
Back in the day, I wanted all marleyans to die, but now I just don't care, people can be brainwashed, just tell them eldians are good and you can fool them, there is no need to kill'em all.
But the army and all state personel, I mean even doctors, nurses, teachers etc should be killed for the greater good of Eldia and the world.
Jan 30, 2021 4:05 PM
Jan 2021
Catalano said:
to be fair, the random civilians have nothing to do with the conflict, their only sin is the hate they carry towards the eldians and not thinking about the truth. They are just brainwashed for the greater good of the marley empire, can't blame them for being dumb and stupid.
i remember scenes in s3p2 when the marleyans were acting rude towards grischa, any civilized human being would not care about random children walking around but the marleyan chose the easy path of not thinking and acting evil towards some people who were just born as eldians. So I guess they still are kinda guilty for eldian treatment, how come there was no marleyan who was good and kind towards an eldian? why didn't I see no story about that?
Back in the day, I wanted all marleyans to die, but now I just don't care, people can be brainwashed, just tell them eldians are good and you can fool them, there is no need to kill'em all.
But the army and all state personel, I mean even doctors, nurses, teachers etc should be killed for the greater good of Eldia and the world.

There were marleyans who were kind to eldian but got killed it just that they didn't get screen time, an example is the panzer squad which didn't have the armband so there were marleyan and they showed empathy towards pieck and even some of them had a crush on her. Their death does not change the fact that they were a threat to paradise since they were soldiers but I still feel a little bit sad about them.
Jan 30, 2021 7:04 PM

Mar 2018
Queen Gabi is the best.
Jan 31, 2021 1:16 AM

Jan 2018
Zipzo said:
CuteAssTiger said:

They are the same

Eren is likely unconcerned with centuries-old history of which race/nation dominated which. His entire motivation is the survival of *his* country, which is inarguably the nation of the oppressed in this current moment in time.

In the life time of our current "heroes" on offense in Marley, they are doing what they feel is necessary to survive, through a body of deliberation that took likely years, and for most of our heroes, they've been exposed to enough throughout their whole lives even to justify it further.

You corner an animal, it's going to bite, and that's exactly what the Paradis residents are doing here.

It is up to the current leaders to *learn from history* so that history will not be repeated, and that means learning from the mistakes of both you *and* your enemy.

The Marleyan government brought this on themselves. They don't get an excuse just because "Eldians used to pwn them". It was their responsibility as leaders to be the change they'd like to see. King Fritz essentially made the first move towards the high road, but Marleyans just *couldn't help themselves*. They fucked this up. They killed Zofia, and Udo. They killed Porco. It's on them.

Eren has this information through Grishas memory.

We as viewers have that information through the story and Grishas memory

If we as viewers deem marley civilians of deserving of what is happening then by extension that means that we western countries deserve terrorism and that we brought that upon ourselves . Just because nations create the circumstances that lead to atrocious loss of life does not mean that the civilians killed deserve what happened to them.

I beg to differ.
It's very obvious that eren and the story isn't trying to convey the idea that those people "deserve" this.

Bedsides we know that Marley didnt really have a choice. They had to try to obtain the founding titan if they didn't want to be crushed by the nation's arround them.

They are " the same "(as eren puts it) as the people inside the walls.
They don't deserve to die. It's just something that can not be stopped
Jan 31, 2021 5:17 AM
Feb 2020
ofc,everything that portrayed as "ppl who get killed" is "good and innocent" then u should feel bad for them,meanwhile the one who "kill" those ppl like eren is automatically "evil satan that everyone should hate him"

eren "deserved to die" because he kill "innocent" and marley is the good one here that everyone should sympathize(despite being literally nazi with tybur as hitler who said "KILL ALL ELDIAN IN PARADIS,THEY ARE DEVIL,OUR RACE AND COUNTRY IS SUPERIOR") yeah u should "sympathized" with marley.
Jan 31, 2021 5:30 AM

Nov 2013
In a war and dictatorships, most of the blame usually on the leading party and high-ranking officers. The common Marleyan fork was indoctrinated from childhood to hate Eldians and led to believe that they are in factual and objective right. As were indoctrinated the Eldians in Marley to hate themselves. Even the army of nazi Germany was full or regular, non-evil people that were fighting just because they were forcibly drafted. The deaths of innocents thanks to the plots of elite is one of the themes of AoT.

geekgod46432 said:
Whoever does should stop watching AoT
No, why?
You all need to watch Nami.

Feb 1, 2021 8:14 AM
Jul 2020
CuteAssTiger said:
Zipzo said:

If we as viewers deem marley civilians of deserving of what is happening then by extension that means that we western countries deserve terrorism and that we brought that upon ourselves . Just because nations create the circumstances that lead to atrocious loss of life does not mean that the civilians killed deserve what happened to them.

I beg to differ.
It's very obvious that eren and the story isn't trying to convey the idea that those people "deserve" this.

Bedsides we know that Marley didnt really have a choice. They had to try to obtain the founding titan if they didn't want to be crushed by the nation's arround them.

I didn't say Eren wasn't aware of the history.

I said he is unconcerned AKA he doesn't really give a shit and it isn't relevant to the reason why they attacked the festival. They are attacking because in this lifetime, they are fighting back their oppressors. The cycle of violence continues until leadership on both sides find compromise, and Marleyan leadership, in this portion of the cycle, failed to deliver peacefully on that front.

I would honestly disagree pretty highly that the *intention* is that we are supposed to feel bad for Marleyans.

I think the intention is for it to be a gray area, and the show is doing that quite well. You can fall on to either side, and be justified to a certain degree. However, in this particular case, I believe it to be clear who is in the "right", and who is in the "wrong".

To fix this cycle of violence at this juncture, the Marleyans would need to backdown heavily on their rhetoric if they want to avoid being wiped out, retractions aplenty, and works towards deprogramming their society the way they have. Be willing to work with Paradis leadership to respect sovereignty, and aim towards an ongoing peace.
ZipzoFeb 1, 2021 8:21 AM
Feb 1, 2021 8:23 AM
Jul 2019
Not at all,if only more people would have killed lmao
Feb 1, 2021 8:27 AM

Jan 2018
Zipzo said:
CuteAssTiger said:

I beg to differ.

I said he is unconcerned AKA he doesn't really give a shit and it isn't relevant to the reason why they attacked the festival. They are attacking because in this lifetime, they are fighting back their oppressors. The cycle of violence continues until leadership on both sides find compromise, and Marleyan leadership, in this portion of the cycle, failed to deliver peacefully on that front.

I would honestly disagree pretty highly that the *intention* is that we are supposed to feel bad for Marleyans.

I think the intention is for it to be a gray area, and the show is doing that quite well. You can fall on to either side, and be justified to a certain degree. However, in this particular case, I believe it to be clear who is in the "right", and who is in the "wrong".

Feeling bad for them doesn't stop it from being a grey area.
It would actually strengthen that point.
Since the people you feel bad for die innocent while the one killing them doesn't really have another choice.
It's not grey because you could pick either side. It's grey because you kinda have to pick/acknowledge both.

Es i previously mentioned marley's actions were also forced. They couldn't keep peace either way because they need the founding titan to not get overrun by their enemys.

I think it's pretty obvious that that is what this is about.

That is why eren says they are the same.
That is why Gabi is literally season 1 eren.
That is why eren wanted to talk to reiner

The idea that eren doesn't care also goes against what he says and does . Eren himself says that there are people who piss him off here as well but that there are also many good people here.
He isn't apathetic. He isn't trying to be cold. He even wanted to talk to reiner just to bring that idea across. Just so reiner knew that they are the same. He isn't blaming reiner anymore and he wants him to know that .
(Later in the story during a flashback he even apologizes with tears to someone that was kind to him as he knew they would eventually fall victim to his war.)

Eren isn't apathetic at all.
It is just that Erens plan can not move forward without those people dying.
Feb 1, 2021 8:41 AM
Jul 2020
CuteAssTiger said:
Zipzo said:

Since the people you feel bad for die innocent while the one killing them doesn't really have another choice.
It's not grey because you could pick either side. It's grey because you kinda have to pick/acknowledge both.

Es i previously mentioned marley's actions were also forced. They couldn't keep peace either way because they need the founding titan to not get overrun by their enemys.

The idea that eren doesn't care also goes against what he says and does . Eren himself says that there are people who piss him off here as well but that there are also many good people here.
He isn't apathetic. He isn't trying to be cold. He even wanted to talk to reiner just to bring that idea across. Just so reiner knew that they are the same. He isn't blaming reiner anymore and he wants him to know that .
(Later in the story during a flashback he even apologizes with tears to someone that was kind to him as he knew they would eventually fall victim to his war.)

I mean, yeah, I'm watching the same show you are, and I'm aware of everything you just said.

In the overall, I still see the actions of Eren's team as justified. Is children and innocent civilians dying tragic? Absolutely. Still doesn't change that their leadership brought it down on them. My perspective is that Paradis is responding in kind, to a pretty logical degree that is necessary to ensure their survival.

Will there be a point where Paradis steps over a line and could be deemed excessively punitive? I mean sure, and all the manga readers are definitely doing a crappy job at hiding the fact that this might be the case, but I personally don't feel that line has been crossed yet.
Feb 1, 2021 10:27 AM

Jan 2018
Zipzo said:
CuteAssTiger said:

I mean, yeah, I'm watching the same show you are, and I'm aware of everything you just said.

In the overall, I still see the actions of Eren's team as justified. Is children and innocent civilians dying tragic? Absolutely. Still doesn't change that their leadership brought it down on them. My perspective is that Paradis is responding in kind, to a pretty logical degree that is necessary to ensure their survival.

Will there be a point where Paradis steps over a line and could be deemed excessively punitive? I mean sure, and all the manga readers are definitely doing a crappy job at hiding the fact that this might be the case, but I personally don't feel that line has been crossed yet.

Yeah I'm not denying erens reasoning.
I find it just strange how many people don't feel anything for the people he slaughters

The way I see it he just sees himself in a position where the only option he has is to kill his enemy's or die himself.
It's either paradise or the others.
Especially since tybur is trying to get more people against paradise
Feb 1, 2021 2:09 PM

Apr 2013
Nope, not at all. They are the aggressors in this, Paradise has been peaceful for hundreds of years. They declared war not once but twice now on them, they deserve this.
Feb 1, 2021 2:18 PM
Mar 2019
I don't think the sole intention behind the fairly long Marley arc before shit went wild was simply to make you sympathize with them. There is no world where I'd cheer for the Marleyans over the Paradis people we cheered for since the very beginning. What it did achieve though is it makes deaths that otherwise would be absolutely insignificant in the story, that slightly bit more impactful, such as the gate guards or the panzer squad. I heavily doubt anyone shed tears over Carlo's death but it's just slightly disturbing and bittersweat.

I don't think Isayama tried to get anyone to part with the Marleyans, but this Marley arc really did a good job at stressing out one thing, which is that even who we see as the enemy are flesh and blood humans with personalities, and war is never black and white.
Feb 1, 2021 3:32 PM

May 2009
objkenkage said:
I have zero sympathy towards Marley and I have even less sympathy for the honourary Marleyians (ie: mainland Eldians).
The honourary Marleyians have been slaughtering many people in other nations (not just Paradis) that Marley wants to occupy destroying entire nations just to get on the good side of Marley to gain Mareylian citizenship to gain the same privilges that other regular Marleyian citizens have.

it's like imagine if the world was controlled by the KKK, then a bunch black people pledge loyalty to the KKK and then start slaughtering all other black people in addition to all the other minorities just to get on the good side of the KKK so that they themselves escape persecution.
Or imagine if in WW2 a bunch of jews pledged loyalty to Hitler and then went on to slaughter other Jews in addition to killing other ethnic groups just to prove to Hitler that they are loyal to him so that he would spare them.

traitors who not only pledge loyalty to their oppressor but even help this oppressor against all others (remember Marley occupied several nations thanks to the "warriors") deserve nothing but humiliating death which is what Eren is giving to them.

Nailed it, this situation just comes too close to home for me to be able to sympatize with Marleyans
Feb 1, 2021 3:42 PM

Feb 2021
With Marley? Hell no! They have no right to decide others' fate by discrimination. Burn Marley, burn.
Feb 2, 2021 6:01 AM

Jan 2018
objkenkage said:

so basically any child soldier who was indoctrinated into doing horrible things is just at fault for the horrible conditions that they were born in .
And them trying to make their lives any better in the system they were born in is just worthy of death.

i thought AoT later commentary on humanity was kinda crazy and unrealistic given that the characters should know better at that point but the community taught me that humanity will never learn anything
Feb 2, 2021 6:05 AM

Jan 2018
Gator said:
Nope, not at all. They are the aggressors in this, Paradise has been peaceful for hundreds of years. They declared war not once but twice now on them, they deserve this.

so i guess all the civilians and children and people who had not say in any of that are "aggressors".
Terrorism operates under the same justification yet i doubt anybody would say that the victims of terrorism deserved to die
Feb 2, 2021 6:05 AM

Mar 2012
not for marley but with the eldians inside marley.
物事は良くなりますか ? 
Feb 2, 2021 6:07 AM

Jan 2018
Hello229 said:
I don't think the sole intention behind the fairly long Marley arc before shit went wild was simply to make you sympathize with them. There is no world where I'd cheer for the Marleyans over the Paradis people we cheered for since the very beginning. What it did achieve though is it makes deaths that otherwise would be absolutely insignificant in the story, that slightly bit more impactful, such as the gate guards or the panzer squad. I heavily doubt anyone shed tears over Carlo's death but it's just slightly disturbing and bittersweat.

I don't think Isayama tried to get anyone to part with the Marleyans, but this Marley arc really did a good job at stressing out one thing, which is that even who we see as the enemy are flesh and blood humans with personalities, and war is never black and white.

i think the point was to show their point of view and what motivates their decisions.
not to take one side over the other but rather to show that both sides loss is tragic.

Eren himself says the people outside the wall are the same as the ones in the wall .
He isnt killing them out of anger or revenge but because their deaths are necessary for his plan.
its simply something that can not be stopped
Feb 2, 2021 6:08 AM

Apr 2013
CuteAssTiger said:
Gator said:

so i guess all the civilians and children and people who had not say in any of that are "aggressors".
Terrorism operates under the same justification yet i doubt anybody would say that the victims of terrorism deserved to die

Obviously not, but how can you separate them? Was England and the US throwing bombs on Germany terrorism? Because they attacked civilians as well with that. What should they have done instead, just let an aggressor keep on destroying because "We're better than that, we don't kill civliians"?
Feb 2, 2021 6:14 AM

Jan 2018
Gator said:
CuteAssTiger said:

Obviously not, but how can you separate them? Was England and the US throwing bombs on Germany terrorism? Because they attacked civilians as well with that. What should they have done instead, just let an aggressor keep on destroying because "We're better than that, we don't kill civliians"?

did they pretend like the german civilans "deserved" the bombing though ?
no

it was something tragic that had to be done .

there is a huge difference in killing people because you think its necessary and killing people because you think they deserve it

its basically the contrast of season 1 eren/gabi and eren as he is right now
Feb 2, 2021 6:20 AM

Apr 2013
CuteAssTiger said:
Gator said:

no

there is a huge difference in killing people because you think its necessary and killing people because you think they deserve it

So... I'm not sure if you paid attention, but how many civilians you think died because Reiner and the gang attacked the walls? And how many civlians died when Eren attacked Marley? If anything then Marley is much worse when it comes to murdering civilians.
Feb 2, 2021 6:38 AM

Jan 2018
Gator said:
CuteAssTiger said:

no

So... I'm not sure if you paid attention, but how many civilians you think died because Reiner and the gang attacked the walls? And how many civlians died when Eren attacked Marley? If anything then Marley is much worse when it comes to murdering civilians.

im not sure if you noticed but more tragic deaths dont make the other tragic deaths deserved XD

tragic civilians deaths+tragic tragic civilians =/= reverse tragedy

if reiner kills a lot of innocent people
and eren kills a lot of innocent people .
then that kinda means they are " the same" as eren puts it .

the civilians on either side didnt "deserve" death

that is also a very dangerous/twisted view on morality .
you cant just call something evil and then do the same thing and say you are good because you did less of it .

That is why eren isnt blaming reiner anymore .
Feb 2, 2021 6:47 AM

Apr 2013
CuteAssTiger said:
Gator said:

im not sure if you noticed but more tragic deaths dont make the other tragic deaths deserved XD

you cant just call something evil and then do the same thing and say you are good because you did less of it .

I'm not sure why you always talk about civilians "deserving" death, you're the only one here who says that.

But they are not the same. Reiner attacked a village without any declaration of war or anything, Eren attacked an event with multiple military people attending and attacked after being declared war on. And once again nobody said anything about civilains deserving death, stop using that strawman.

I also never said that Paradise is good, they did a lot of bad stuff as well. But if you tell me that someone who killed one man and someone who killed 10 men are both the same level of evil, then your morality is twisted here.
Feb 2, 2021 7:11 AM
Jul 2020
CuteAssTiger said:
Gator said:

Strawman argument...nobody is saying the civilian deaths are "deserved". We just all acknowledge them as quite unavoidable.

Reiner and Bertholdt's original attack on Eren's town was already an act of aggression after hundreds of years of peace. It's the Marleyan leadership that is to blame for the tragic deaths of their civilians/children.
Feb 2, 2021 7:38 AM

Jan 2018
Gator said:
CuteAssTiger said:

I'm not sure why you always talk about civilians "deserving" death, you're the only one here who says that.

But they are not the same. Reiner attacked a village without any declaration of war or anything, Eren attacked an event with multiple military people attending and attacked after being declared war on. And once again nobody said anything about civilains deserving death, stop using that strawman.

I also never said that Paradise is good, they did a lot of bad stuff as well. But if you tell me that someone who killed one man and someone who killed 10 men are both the same level of evil, then your morality is twisted here.

because the question of the tread is "Do people actually sympathize with the marleyans?"

if we see something bad happens to somebody and we sympathize with them then logically because we dont think they deserved that

its not a strawman. its logic.

further more a certain someone said "Nope, not at all. They are the aggressors in this, Paradise has been peaceful for hundreds of years. They declared war not once but twice now on them, they deserve this." ( btw this is also ignoring the fact that we know that marley had to obtain the founding titan. they had to attack paradise sooner or later )

"they deserve this" so how is that a straw man again ?
Malrey is more then its military or goverment.
Marley is a nation. a nation were civilians died in that attack .
if you say " they deserve it" then how is it a staw man when i call into question whenever or not a big portion of those people deserve it

as for eren and reiner being the same

Reiner attacked the walls to achive a military goal and killed a bunch of innocent people doing so

Eren attacked marley to achive a military goal and killed a bunch of innocent people doing so.

war decleration or not hardly changes anything in that regard.

morality also isnt a matter of numbers.
if you deem an action categorically right or wrong then that action is categorically right or wrong and anybody willing to do "evil" is evil.
if you kill 1 person for 1 chocolate bar then you arent really less evil then a person that kills 2 people for 2 chocolate bars.
the thing that makes this action right or wrong is intend.
if it is "evil" to kill a person for a chocolate bar then that holds true no matter how we increase the number. the person that killed 1 propably still believes that that was a fair tradeoff and the person that killed 2 is the same. Their world view is still the same here. ( those 2 are the same because their world view is the same and both would propably kill more people as long as they get a chocolate bar. )

lets just for the sake or argument say that eren doesnt stop at marley .
lets just say he kills everybody .
at what point does he become " evil" or "more evil "compared to reiner ?

when he makes the decision ? aka his intend
when he actually gets the kill streak ?

eren says they are the same because they are willing to do the same for the same/similar .

Reiner was willing to kill a lot of people to save the"good" eledians ( as his mother called it, "the world" as people told him etc .( although reiner was quite the hard liner who also belived paradise to be evil)

and eren kills a lot of people to safe "his" eledians . ( aka the "good" eledians)

Eren says they are "the same" because they are doing the same while also being motivated by the same thing while also believing that those on the other side are "the same"

when you are willing to do the same thing for similar /same reasons then you current kill count doesnt really change the morality of your actions.
because the morality of your actions is bound to the intend of your actions .

eren would propably kill more people then reiner did if he had to .

the thing that actually separated eren and reiner is the side they are standing on.
Eren fight for paradise because that is his side, his home,his family,friends etc
Eren doesnt fight to end the nazi-esk regime that controlls marley or some other higher idealistic goal .

he fights for his side because it happens to be his side. And if someone cant coexist with his side for whatever reason they have to go
Feb 2, 2021 7:42 AM

Jan 2018
Zipzo said:
CuteAssTiger said:

Strawman argument...nobody is saying the civilian deaths are "deserved". We just all acknowledge them as quite unavoidable.

Reiner and Bertholdt's original attack on Eren's town was already an act of aggression after hundreds of years of peace. It's the Marleyan leadership that is to blame for the tragic deaths of their civilians/children.

the question of the tread is "Do people actually sympathize with the marleyans?"

if we see something bad happens to somebody and we sympathize with them then logically because we dont think they deserved that

its not a strawman. its logic.

further more a certain someone said "Nope, not at all. They are the aggressors in this, Paradise has been peaceful for hundreds of years. They declared war not once but twice now on them, they deserve this."
(ironically enough ive been the one who has made the point of it being "unavoidable" but not good multiple times so maybe you should read into an argument before you just call something a strawman XD :) )

"they deserve this" so how is that a straw man again ?
Malrey is more then its military or goverment.
Marley is a nation. a nation were civilians died in that attack .
if he says " they deserve it" then how is it a staw man when i call into question whenever or not a big portion of those people deserve it

the leadership fucking up ( btw we know they had to obtain the founding titan eiter way) doesnt mean all of marley "deserve it"

following that it would make sense to sympathize with those who didnt deserve it.

everybody here has their reasons . Even the marley goverment is forced into a position where they have to get the founding titan .
The point of AOT is to display the nature of war.
not to have 1 big bad guy to blame

CuteAssTigerFeb 2, 2021 8:05 AM
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Mar 28, 2021

692 by wibugar »»
May 10, 1:11 AM

» The one thing I dont understand now is, why WIT censored so much the violence?

MAQS - Dec 20, 2020

26 by SoughtLi »»
Apr 28, 7:26 PM

Poll: » If Eren was in avatar...

TASM18 - Apr 17

18 by belugaanime »»
Apr 19, 2:12 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 7, 2021

513 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Apr 13, 8:01 AM

» Isayama: The Perfect Architect ( 1 2 )

Mikasa - Mar 29, 2021

65 by benisfroms »»
Apr 10, 8:21 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.