Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 6, 2021 8:36 AM
Jan 2017
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Ohba: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ufmrn7BCuA
AxelthrowOct 16, 2021 12:07 PM
Jan 6, 2021 9:59 AM

Aug 2016
I remember Masi Oka saying the manga-ka loved the Netflix Death Note movie.
I figured they were being polite, just being nice.
After this manga though, especially this final chapter I realise.... the pair have gone full retard.
“I just spent the last two years thinking that you guys knew more than me about life and I just found out that you guys are just as dumb as me.” “Duh-doy.” “Yeah, duh-doy.”
Jan 6, 2021 11:23 AM

Jun 2014
I dropped this ages ago, at chapter 2 since I found it to be terrible. Here I am, checking out chapter 58 out of curiosity and I have to say this is probably one of the worst endings I've seen. I hope Obata gets paired up with a competent writer again, it's a shame to see his art go to waste on such garbage.

Also, this blatantly rips off
:3
Jan 6, 2021 12:11 PM
Jul 2015
Chapter felt unnecessary

coulda ended at 57 tbh

Jan 6, 2021 1:00 PM

Sep 2020
@alpha_shadow

yeah I really agree w/ u, with Obata's art he could really make a hit with another writer, just not that Ohba.

The old Ohba is dead.

[Violet X Amy]

[VioletteloiV X squished_lemon]

Jan 6, 2021 1:01 PM

Sep 2010
Gee what a waste. Yes this has been down hill since a few years, but this is as an end? Is this from the duo I literally adore? What the actual F.
Jan 6, 2021 1:10 PM

Jul 2010
Hahahaha man it was GOLD. As much as I disliked the main series, I liked the finale soooo much. Soooo worth it.
NO ONE expected Human Instrumentality Project at the end. NO ONE.
GJ Ohba, you still delivered at the end.

I mean, why everyone complain so much? The series was garbage to begin with. It's nowhere near Death Note/Bakuman level. Why not end it with A BLAST?
Jan 6, 2021 2:01 PM

Jul 2017
Kinda funny given how I'm rewatching Bakuman currently and I was thinking to myself how great Ohba is with writing the details out in that manga (which is true for sure), but then I read this chapter and it truly symbolized how bad this manga was, and tenfold with that ending chapter lol. Wow. That was a waste of time lol.
Jan 6, 2021 2:19 PM

Dec 2015
This chapter showed just how much of his own thinking the author put in the idea of this manga. Maybe that's why we can't really understand what he actually wanted to convey.
It felt weird, cuz i really didn't know what to expect after chapter 57 where i felt like its a regular, boring, happy ending.
Here it feels unexpected and maybe for some people unnecessary, but at least it made me feel like there is something deep the author wanted to share because he actually went with his own resolve for it, instead of making another happy-end bs. Seems like he couldn't get his point through this manga and it's even more disappointing when this comes after Death Note and Bakuman.

I will raise it from 4 to 5, although I'm not sure it's the right thing to do.

P.S. At least it's not a 100 chap manga.
(edit): Never mind , I read it for 5 fkn years...

P.S. - 2 - Mirai and Saki's death was very wholesome. Wouldn't mind dying that way.
Ardis_Weard79Jan 6, 2021 2:32 PM
Jan 6, 2021 3:27 PM
Jan 2017
animejas said:
Kinda funny given how I'm rewatching Bakuman currently and I was thinking to myself how great Ohba is with writing the details out in that manga (which is true for sure), but then I read this chapter and it truly symbolized how bad this manga was, and tenfold with that ending chapter lol. Wow. That was a waste of time lol.

I would much rather be reading Reversi than this shit
Jan 6, 2021 3:51 PM
Aug 2019
Worst ending I've ever seen. It's worse than Grashros.

It was going downhill for a year so they gave us the middle finger while axing the series. I just hope that the anime will fix the ending.
"Anime was a mistake." - Hayao Miyazaki
"Please check my page here •-•" - Me
"No, owomachine. I won't hit you since you don't deserve to live in a nice isekai world" - Truck-kun
Jan 6, 2021 6:50 PM
Nov 2015
Now sing along!

🎵I know... I know I've let you down🎵
Jan 7, 2021 10:42 AM
May 2019
Wait, so, i don't get it, in the end, every human disappeared and the energy of that became a new god? is that what it meant? or it's something else? if it is like that, then it's just evangelion all over again.
Jan 7, 2021 11:44 AM

Jan 2018
Yoneda is such an awful character. The most unscientific scientist ever.

Makes claims on basically nothing ,supports it with a paradoxical question and when he is proven wrong he goes "REEEEEEE IM RIGHT REEEE"

This manga started out very strong and got worse over time but he really killed it.

Maybe the higher beings should have kept him alive.
If he can kill a mangas writing by himself he surely can kill them as well
Jan 7, 2021 12:41 PM

Sep 2012
Not sure why so many people are comparing this to End of Eva beyond the surface level detail of "all of humanity was wiped out." If we're only going that deep this might as well be Devilman as well. I sorta like the idea of god destroying humanity as a way to prevent more suffering, but the whole "god committs suicide" felt unnecessarily edgy.

Anyway, very glad this is over. One less mediocre series to keep up with.

Axelthrow said:
I would much rather be reading Reversi than this shit

I remember when I saw the description of this series I thought they were finally making a real equivalent to Reversi, and... Maybe they did! And they always thought Reversi would be like this. But damn was I disappointed.
Jan 7, 2021 3:46 PM

Feb 2015
This is a really bad ending, but it's much much better than the actual story of the manga.

Might increase my score.

Jan 7, 2021 9:42 PM
Nov 2017
I personally enjoyed the manga the whole way through.
I did get confused a bit at the Dr. Yoneda stand off, but I think it comes together nicely at the end. As Yoneda had made a fallacious assumption about god being created by humans. His decision is fueled by his own desires and most importantly, ego. When Nakaumi decides to kill himself as god, he fulfils his own wish of death. As he was fed a wrongful assumption of god being created by humans, he assumed that the death of god would not impact humanity, as there is no other reason for god to exist, just to observe. Nakaumi's decision is an egotistical way of fulfilling his own wants. What had not had not been considered was a higher being which created god. As seen in the last page, the beings higher than god, were doing an experiment out of curiosity, and self interest, their own ego.
A jealousy of the ability of death. Life would not be an appropriate term without the presence of death.
I would go on writing about some other ideas that the manga delved into but this an extremely long post already.
Jan 7, 2021 9:49 PM

Mar 2016
Probably the worst fucking manga series I’ve ever read. Dat hell was that unfulfilling shitfest ending? So convoluted and dumb as fuck.

Checked it out first time cause of Death Note and Bakuman-related recommendations, now I felt like I’ve been bamboozled.
Jan 8, 2021 5:55 AM

May 2019
more like bronze end, amirite

shame that a genuinely interesting plot and fantastic art got did this dirty by ohba's dementia kicking in. i have no idea how this got an adaptation outside of blatant nepotism.
Jan 8, 2021 11:55 AM

Feb 2016
Horrible end.
They wasted 56 in suicide God and mass massacre.
What a waste of time.

Anywhere in the Galaxy
Jan 8, 2021 5:46 PM

Jul 2008
Platinum End became really stale really fast, so this ending is actually quite enjoyable in a shocking kind of way. Seems there's some sort of immortal alien entity in search of death, and Earth's God was one experiment to try and achieve the end. Way outta nowhere, but at least it leaves an impression. I would forget about this manga if it ended last chapter, but now at least I'll remember it as the manga where God committed suicide and subsequently wiped out all life on Earth. Before the alien reveal, I thought maybe God was actually the Devil. Anyway, this was a real train wreck of a manga, but the art was great. Ohba can have one dud. The stupidity of Platinum End doesn't outweigh the brilliance of Death Note and Bakuman.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Jan 10, 2021 12:57 AM
May 2015
That was bleak. But then, it was the End.

Jan 11, 2021 4:43 AM
Jan 2017
I added a summary of the ending to the OP post for those who dropped the series.
Jan 11, 2021 2:36 PM

Feb 2016
This manga has too much preaching. It is otherwise fun, and I love the final chapter.
Yuri was my pick for God.
LucifrostJan 17, 2021 5:37 PM
その目だれの目?
Jan 15, 2021 5:04 PM

May 2015
am I the only person who loved the ending.
sure it was nowhere as good as death note/bakuman but it was goood in its own right,
anyway if there is a god and he wants to commit sudoku.
JUST DO IT

Best Shitty Reviews
“Like is like a blank canvas you paint it with whatever you want (colors,blood,sweat,shit etc)”
Current Season rec : Layton Mystery Tanteisha: Katri no Nazotoki File
I am an anime OST Maniac and they play a huge role in my rating for a anime.
interested ?
click the GIF>>>>>
Jan 22, 2021 1:29 AM
May 2020
So this is where the title Platinum END stems from.

Overall I liked it very much. Though I can get why thoughts about this series will be really divided and I'm simply in the side who liked it.

Did not expect it though, I thought it will be happy ending. It is though for the main MC. Both were happy even till the very end if you kmow what I mean
Feb 5, 2021 8:31 AM
Feb 2021
I've had the pleasure of only finding out about this series after the final chapter and could binge read it in 2 days.
It was a fun read. 58 chapters are not much for a story that has that grand a premise. It's rather too short to fully comprehend everything that would go on if something like this really happened.
I thought that the 999 days are a lot more important, but so what.
But seriously everyone, the end was clear at the moment, when the openly suicidal kid got elected as God. And the end fits the whole premise.
God was stupid enough to choose people who are suicidal as his successors.
But it's a nice contrast to the undying gods who created God and the humans.
Because at the end, the story is about choice. About choosing what makes life worthwhile. If the pursuit of happiness is worth all the drama that life brings.
Nakaumi made his choice and just how suicide affects everyone in your life negatively, his suicide affected the whole world negatively.
The ending was rather fitting for the theme of the story.
Feb 13, 2021 12:54 PM

Apr 2018
Ngl I started to like the manga a lot after metropoliman died but this ending killed it for me
Feb 13, 2021 6:02 PM

May 2015
I dropped it a couple of times, but after it finished, decided to resume as not so much chapters were left.

Actually, I found it quite interesting, not predictable since the suicidal kid was chosen as God. And the moments after that were pretty nice, characters became more likeable, the MC found their happiness and so on... But the ending ruined it for me. I don't get what was the point. Maybe the true meaning is in Mirai's words that everyone dies anyway and it just happened sooner but what's important is that they found happiness and could die happy. And so the meaning of people's lives should be happiness itself.

I don't know, it's brave to end everything with destroying the world but it kinda makes everything else pointless.

God committed suicide, what a joke.

The only worthy thing here is the art. Hope the writing can be on the same level next time. But the author lost his credibility somehow. Maybe it wouldn't feel as bad if it was someone's first project, forgettable, pretentious but still gorgeously drawn. But considering the authors it's awful and very, very disappointing.
Feb 14, 2021 4:13 AM

Jan 2013
what a distasteful joke. trying to pull a reversi are we?
Mar 13, 2021 10:12 PM

Jan 2020
There were parts I loved and parts I hated. The ending kinda sucked but overall it was enjoyable. I'm excited to see it animated.
Apr 26, 2021 8:00 AM

Jan 2013
owomachine said:

It was going downhill for a year so they gave us the middle finger while axing the series. I just hope that the anime will fix the ending.

Well grashross has bad ending.
But kamisama no luutori 2 has even worse ending on par with this garbage, yet you rated it 10/10.

Anyway im torn between calling this ending a garbage or saying its masterpiece compared to SNK.

It looks like Japanese writers are having some contest who makes worse, more stupid ending lol
harem and ecchi are a cancer to whole planet
bad english user
Apr 26, 2021 2:14 PM
Aug 2019
Sidholun said:
owomachine said:

Well grashross has bad ending.
But kamisama no luutori 2 has even worse ending on par with this garbage, yet you rated it 10/10.

kni2's ending was a 9/10 (one point deducted for the last choice) but it's a 10/10 manga overall.
"No, owomachine. I won't hit you since you don't deserve to live in a nice isekai world" - Truck-kun
Jul 31, 2021 12:13 PM
Jan 2019
I like the ending however, nothing to be confuse
Sep 1, 2021 4:05 PM
Aug 2018
owomachine said:

..Nothing is worse than Grashros.
Sep 5, 2021 8:34 AM

May 2009
SerhaTR0483-2 said:
owomachine said:

What is wrong with Grashros ending? It's typical circle of hate ending
Sep 5, 2021 2:54 PM
Aug 2019
bastek66 said:
SerhaTR0483-2 said:

What is wrong with Grashros ending? It's typical circle of hate ending

It was axed too fast. The story was building nice and slowly to be something good... then it became a story about onaholes, their creator and random happenings. It's paced like a training montage until the end.
Nov 3, 2021 5:55 PM

Dec 2007
honestly, i read the comments here, and i'm trying to understand what's wrong with me.
really don't know about the ending, there's something here ohba delivered, i understood that, but that's not quite how you end manga.

i will actually try to arrange my thoughts on what went on my head when it ended:
once nakaumi made "suicide" i told myself - WTH are you doing man?!!?!?! bad choice of kami ever. but then when that end came at me, i was like :O truly ohba wanted to explore the main theme of "god" and "death" here. in term of writing it's truly masterpiece.
but honestly, i have mixed feeling.
one of them is the fact that ohba chose to make yonde saying that he was right, when he clearly isn't, unless ohba will come and say that what he actually thought - kami is maybe the key for holding all the life of humans, but it created by someone else.
but it's not all, hear me out.
if there's something similar to DN in all this story (though it's definitely not) is the fact that can be couple of endings - in DN there's two: one at the end of L arc, 2nd is the other ending. PE actually have much more than that:
1. once kanede/metopoliman died - he has no red arrow and mirai and saki sitting together eating, and he tells her it's his first time tasting food for long time. - this could have been perfect ending, the big main villain is dead and mirai is finally happy, who cares about being kami? just like who cared about yagami light to kill L. it had definitely sense of ending.
2. once nakaumi had been chosen - the all choosing kami candidate was over, everyone is happy.
3. prologue ending - this is actually the most sense ending to this, and one that where usually a writer of manga should had ended it: mirai is marrying saki, yuri is helping yonde and doesn't have problems. and yonde is finally agreeing his sense of science is wrong. this could have been perfect ending. perfect to readers, not masterpiece for the writer.
4. the ending of the world - i'm actually believe this is good ending, but it's just treating the whole mess you created in trashy way as the comments here went and go. sincerely, it's one of those story ending that giving me a lot of thought. my reasoning that people didn't like it can be changed in the proper age of people who look for more deeper things than character writing and proper settings, or even what people seek in manga. as one who love kind of psychological endings - and you can find that a lot in christopher nolan movies - this is truly masterpiece ending. but in term of character and setting this whole story was truly trash.

i find myself kinda hard on keeping my opinions right, but i found myself lot of time finding why people hated this but still enjoyed, hear me out.
this kind of story is very much alike mirai nikki, to understand what i am about to say i will talk about that anime (didn't read the manga) - terrible characters and terrible reasoning, the only thing kept me liking that story is the plot wise twists. the main character was the worst thing, and the rival (that pink hair girl, though watched this for 3 times i don't remember her name lol) was true psychopath. none of them grew on me, but the plot delivery was good, and that was about it.
same about PE - ohba just took the same setting because in those kind of story - no one really cares about the characters. mirai is suck as hell as one, saki wasn't any better, and the importance of character being.... character, was completely forgotten at the yonde arc. (one of the proofs i thinks that, is that i actually doesn't remember well the characters name, usually when there's good writing i'm remembering each and every character name, but only in this manga i'm hardly remembering any names except for the main ones and the easy ones,. i'm pretty sure i had wrote couple of names wrong in this very long post. end of edit) ohba knew this all along, but his aim was much much bigger, he meant to tend only to the death theme, importance of life, "god" theme, and i gotta say he did here badass job about that that kept me along those couple of days i marathoned this manga, just couldn't kept my eyes without it (hell i finished it now in 2 am in the morning), this was fun ride.

though all what i said about this manga being good, the whole bad character writing and etc was bad enough.
8.0000000/10

(maybe i will somehow will remake this post as review, we will see...)

@CuteAssTiger.
User-NameNov 10, 2021 4:25 PM
Nov 21, 2021 10:59 AM
Oct 2017
Yelp not reading this now honestly bad endings are usually the reason why I wait till a manga finishes before I bother reading it.
Nov 21, 2021 1:15 PM
Apr 2018
People are a little annoying. The fact that an author's work is great doesnt mean that each and every work of them will be as well.
Nov 27, 2021 2:51 PM

Dec 2014
I found it epic, I really liked it :v
Dec 25, 2021 1:01 AM

Nov 2014
After reading the last chapter, it made me think of the complexity of human nature and our mundane way of living. Our desires is what keep us alive after all.

Everyone have their own perception of reality. Everyone also have their own biases, thoughts and feelings they live with. Then we have the simplicity and complexity of humankind and evolution overall. There is so much, yet barely anything to it.

What it all comes down to is how we think, and feel about it, and what we choose to do with the information we gain on a daily basis.

What you take from the story is up to you. You do you.
Jan 7, 2022 1:32 AM

May 2009
Nope, that ending gave me a feel like I just wasted precious time and energy reading this for nothing. I understand that the author didn't plan on an utopian ending but that was clearly ridiculous and random. The desires of the human overcame god and died?
Honestly their choice of god was illogical and I can only imagine that internally they all related to him because of their attempt to leave this world, and even if they had eventually changed their views on life as canditates, he was the expression of their former selves. Nevertheless, this is not an excuse for crapping on the story like that.
Jan 24, 2022 4:12 PM

Dec 2007
Nikoringo said:
After reading the last chapter, it made me think of the complexity of human nature and our mundane way of living. Our desires is what keep us alive after all.

Everyone have their own perception of reality. Everyone also have their own biases, thoughts and feelings they live with. Then we have the simplicity and complexity of humankind and evolution overall. There is so much, yet barely anything to it.

What it all comes down to is how we think, and feel about it, and what we choose to do with the information we gain on a daily basis.

yup, ohba really loaded good psychological themes here with kami complex and all. the fact is that people care more about story writing, it's not bad caring about that, but i think it's what ohba cared more about.
Jan 30, 2022 3:29 AM

Nov 2014
User-Name said:
Nikoringo said:

yup, ohba really loaded good psychological themes here with kami complex and all. the fact is that people care more about story writing, it's not bad caring about that, but i think it's what ohba cared more about.

I agree. He has a way of creating interesting stories, atleast when it comes to Platinum End and Death Note.
Feb 10, 2022 12:39 PM

Mar 2017
What a hack, what a shitty manga and shitty experience overall. Deus ex machina to solve a lot of issues, rants and confrontations that leads to nothing and then this awful last chapter. You guys are mad you wasted your time reading this garbage? Well, I wasted my time and money cause I bought the 14 volumes, I would have dropped this ages ago if I haven't already invested money in it. 3/10 and I'm never reading anything from this writer again.
Feb 19, 2022 3:43 AM
Feb 2022
This Manga is getting across a simple message. If you commit suicide. You will mess things up. And the more influential you are....the more messed up things will become. Killing and getting killed screws up society big time. Cause suicide is not a natural death. Like an accident or murder...it's an adrupt end to someone's lifespan. And the butterfly effect of such a death have unforseen consequences. In platinum ends case.....God was irresponsible and all life got wiped out.
Feb 24, 2022 6:13 AM
Apr 2020
I hate that when they were talking about picking a god and they picked the suicidal kid I thought to myself that he will just end everything! I mean I would have rated it a 4 without this ending but now I'm confused! This was basically philosophical mirai nikki with an end of Eva ending as the cherry on top because why not end this dumpster fire with a bang?! So unoriginal and uninspiring! A real shame
G0dgraveFeb 24, 2022 6:24 AM
Mar 9, 2022 3:44 PM
Mar 2020
I thought this series would be a hit. Given to the fact that Platinum end and Death note have been written by Tsugumi Ohba. I was wrong.
Mar 11, 2022 12:53 PM
Anime Emperor

Jan 2019
For most of its duration I thought the show was so-so, maybe a little above average, but the ending was actually brilliant and carried amazingly well. The deeper I think about it, the more I enjoy it. It saddens me to a great extent that people can't seem to enjoy a story without a happy ending. The series was meaningless just because all of humanity was wiped out in the end? Give me a break. The series was never about a single character, it was about conveying a message and the ending brought just that. I'd even go as to say it's one of the most influential endings in anime/manga I've stumbled upon. And surely one of the bravest as most authors go for the ending that they feel would satisfy their readers the most. Platinum End didn't do that but it stayed true to its message which I can only praise.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» My spoiler-ridden rant, er, review

NDskies - Sep 17, 2023

4 by NDskies »»
Sep 18, 2023 6:27 AM

» How would you rate it???

Goated_Weeb526 - Nov 11, 2021

4 by waalex11 »»
Sep 11, 2023 5:13 PM

Poll: » Platinum End Chapter 23 Discussion

TheGeniusBaka - Jan 1, 2018

6 by bucciest »»
Nov 6, 2022 12:02 PM

Poll: » Platinum End Chapter 30 Discussion

Akoram - May 8, 2018

4 by lycoradz0 »»
May 14, 2022 3:28 AM

» Just finished and omg I loved it.

WildCardBevin - Oct 30, 2021

7 by Abdouvn »»
Apr 3, 2022 2:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.