Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 24, 2020 12:27 AM

Sep 2019
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I liked this movie more than the main series. Kurumi was my favorite girl in Date a Live and I thought I would watch this just for her. I didn’t expect to like it, but I did.

White Queen was Kurumi’s friend who got killed by her all along. “I hope your love blossoms one day”... this scene made me cry. I didn’t like the fight scene that much but I liked what they said to each other. It was a good movie in my opinion. 7/10.
Dec 24, 2020 12:51 AM

Oct 2017
So the true identity of Queen was Sawa + Abandoned part of Kurumi huh, no wonder she looked like a silver haired Kurumi. Welp too bad she had to die once again and her last wish was for Kurumi's love to blossom which

Decent two episodes, it was fun to watch more of Kurumi.
Dec 24, 2020 12:58 AM

Sep 2019
MegamiRem said:
So the true identity of Queen was Sawa + Abandoned part of Kurumi huh, no wonder she looked like a silver haired Kurumi. Welp too bad she had to die once again and her last wish was for Kurumi's love to blossom which

Decent two episodes, it was fun to watch more of Kurumi.
Welp, I accidentally clicked the spoiler but it's good to know lol.
Dec 24, 2020 2:33 AM

Jan 2015
This was much better than the first episode
Kurumi is so based as always, but did I miss something? When did Kurumi kill Sawa in the other world?

Also, I hope the “meeting him again” is referred to Shido. Would love to see a romantic development between the two
Dec 24, 2020 3:34 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Okay, this movie certainly made a whole lot more sense.

I didn't care too much about the other spirits so it didn't faze me when they dropped one after the other. What was the point of them aside from being Queen's food anyway, lol?

But the whole thing surrounding Kurumi-san was interesting. Starting off with that past scene, I knew it'd be coming in some way or another but I certainly didn't expect Queen to be her. Also, makes sense how the impersonator seemed to know a thing or two during the interrogation.

Nice to see that Kurumi-san seems to be a lot more resolute in her aim of meeting that someone and managed to find a companion in the process. I wonder who that special person is though. "See you in Season 4" - We better be getting answers then. Shido would be especially nice xD.

Xenocrisi said:
Kurumi is so based as always, but did I miss something? When did Kurumi kill Sawa in the other world?

Yeah, same here, didn't quite this bit either. How did Sawa-san turn into a "monster" in the first place?

Maybe it's just me but the framerate was actually better this time around too, which is great to see and the art style is still pretty darn good.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Dec 24, 2020 9:25 AM

May 2016
This could have been a lot more enjoyable if I read the LN I believe, need confirmation from
readers xD

I wonder what she meant when she said she turned into a monster.
Dec 24, 2020 6:36 PM

Aug 2016
I enjoyed it more than the first episode. I hope we get to see more of this side series, Kurumi is such a fun character to watch but she barely makes any appearances in the main series.
Dec 24, 2020 6:39 PM

Jan 2018
it was a nice christmass eve pressent to have this movie
Dec 25, 2020 4:23 PM

Mar 2014
As long as my waifu Kurumi is kicking ass, I will always be pleased.

Great stuff!
"You can't spell slaughter without laughter".
Dec 25, 2020 5:50 PM
Aug 2018
Xenocrisi said:
This was much better than the first episode

Also, I hope the “meeting him again” is referred to Shido. Would love to see a romantic development between the two

The part with Sawa was described in the LN (vol 16 in a flashback scene to be exact) and has not been adapted yet (s3 of DAL adapted to around vol 12).

And yes, meeting him again refers to Shido and is a reference to the wish made in the S2 OVA (Kurumi Star Festival)
NormTDec 25, 2020 5:53 PM
Dec 25, 2020 9:24 PM

Mar 2011
I think what they meant by her being a monster is because she hates everything in that world and she is killing the other spirits.

I was hoping Kurumi would heal Sawa and they will have a happy ending but anyway it's still a good watch.
Dec 27, 2020 9:54 AM

Jan 2019
They took the main source(Date a Bullet Light Novel) and chaged 90% of the story. Total waste of hype. I'll give it a 4/10
PS: It doesn't even make sense that Kurumi killed her with dalet
Dec 28, 2020 3:27 AM

Oct 2020
My waifu, Kurumi is back and she is cute and badass as always. Cant wait to see her meet with Shido. Overall, I love this movie.
Dec 30, 2020 7:27 AM
Apr 2015
I'm really suprised, they managed to take what is easily worth an entire season of content (if not more) and tried to cram into a 50 min ova... No wonder they had to change so much of the orginal story and it still feels rushed...
Suprisingly despite all that (while obviously paling to the novel version), it still managed to be better than the main anime series.

Personally this should have gotten it's own spinoff series rather than a 50 min ova...
Dec 30, 2020 4:00 PM
May 2020
Why didn't Kurumi heal Sawa the same way she healed the white cat, though?
Jan 3, 2021 4:24 AM

Oct 2015
Yep. Not gonna lie, I'm a little confused by this.

From what I can understand, White Queen was actually Kurumi's inverse fused with her friend that she killed? Why did she kill her friend?

Maybe it's been too long since I watched DAL that I've just forgotten how Kurumi's power works, or inverse in general for that matter. I should play the visual novel soon...

Jan 3, 2021 4:59 AM
Nov 2015
frenze12 said:
I'm really suprised, they managed to take what is easily worth an entire season of content (if not more) and tried to cram into a 50 min ova... No wonder they had to change so much of the orginal story and it still feels rushed...
Suprisingly despite all that (while obviously paling to the novel version), it still managed to be better than the main anime series.

Personally this should have gotten it's own spinoff series rather than a 50 min ova...

Funny you say that because the main series has also been butchered so all subjectivity, the guy directing the main series doesn't care to showcase the best and favors putting stupid filler, this OVA had a different director and it shows. Besides, DAB came out at a time when DAL already had proceeded from a light hearted story to a grim depressing one so the atmosphere in DAB is the same as the atmosphere in DAL later on, in fact DAB I'd say is more light hearted all throughout its run than the later parts of DAL.
FhpZodJan 3, 2021 5:06 AM
Jan 3, 2021 8:20 AM

Jul 2014
Well, that was maybe ever so slightly more coherent than the first part, but still a mess. So, to sum up, the Kurumi from the Encore OVA ended up in this battle royale on some other plane of existence and ended up fighting against her Inverse self fused with her friend who she for some reason killed beforehand. Alrighty then.

Even with this half being slightly more focused, it still felt like a full cour of anime was crammed into two episodes and that never, ever ends well. Especially for a battle royale narrative, given how incoherent and terrible those are at even the best of times.

Regardless, the big question I have is this: what is the point of this story being told? Why should we care about any of this, relative to the main narrative or even in isolation? It seems to me that this only exists because Kurumi is so popular and they wanted to milk that fact. And when a spin-off is made solely - or at least primarily - for that purpose, as is basically always the case, the end result is just a shallow story that lacks everything that made the main series interesting to begin with.

On top of that, the character that the spin-off centres around is usually made worse by their increased narrative focus, as the characters who often end up with spin-offs typically work better in supporting roles: as an anti-hero, Kurumi is great in the main Date a Live narrative, but this proves she can't carry a narrative on her own (though that does somewhat circle back into the fact that the existence of this spin-off is forced by popularity, rather than there being a meaningful story to be told).

5/10
Jan 3, 2021 10:59 AM
Nov 2015
Atavistic said:
Well, that was maybe ever so slightly more coherent than the first part, but still a mess. So, to sum up, the Kurumi from the Encore OVA ended up in this battle royale on some other plane of existence and ended up fighting against her Inverse self fused with her friend who she for some reason killed beforehand. Alrighty then.

Even with this half being slightly more focused, it still felt like a full cour of anime was crammed into two episodes and that never, ever ends well. Especially for a battle royale narrative, given how incoherent and terrible those are at even the best of times.

Regardless, the big question I have is this: what is the point of this story being told? Why should we care about any of this, relative to the main narrative or even in isolation? It seems to me that this only exists because Kurumi is so popular and they wanted to milk that fact. And when a spin-off is made solely - or at least primarily - for that purpose, as is basically always the case, the end result is just a shallow story that lacks everything that made the main series interesting to begin with.

On top of that, the character that the spin-off centres around is usually made worse by their increased narrative focus, as the characters who often end up with spin-offs typically work better in supporting roles: as an anti-hero, Kurumi is great in the main Date a Live narrative, but this proves she can't carry a narrative on her own (though that does somewhat circle back into the fact that the existence of this spin-off is forced by popularity, rather than there being a meaningful story to be told).

5/10

Probably because it's an original story. They didn't adapt anything so figures. Also, while this is a pretty average OVA, just created for the sake of it, it does reveal the Neighboring World and expands upon the established worldbuilding for you people who haven't read the novels. The fact that a different world exists and it has "people" in it is already something to write down.

Then again, the Date A Live franchise is under the Kadokawa name and Kadokawa have been mediocre handling this show, the potential this franchise had to begin with is all down the drain now and even if season 4 ends up being good, it would be too late anyway. It's such a shame what they've done to this show, any other producer would have done a much better job.
Jan 3, 2021 4:39 PM

Feb 2016
How does this have a higher score than Date A Live? While I don't dislike it, the story is entirely frivolous.
その目だれの目?
Jan 4, 2021 10:23 AM

Jun 2017
It was better than the first part for sure. Would have liked to know why Kurumi killed her friend to begin with...

As it stands this spinoff "just exists" with not much purpose.
Feb 9, 2021 1:34 AM
May 2020
Finally got to watch DOB

I was glad I remember most of the Kurumi Festival OVA and was able to understand that DOB was some kind if world where the Kurumi that got sucked went into this world.(correct me if im wrong)

All things aside,this was genuinely confusing for me...This new world just popped out of nowhere with no context whatsoever. It felt way rushed and I'm not sure if I get to feel anything for Sawa-san..

Nevertheless, animation and sound was superb as always. I get the feeling that LN readers might understand the story more..Sure hope to see more in Season 4
Feb 27, 2021 4:00 AM

Oct 2007
really enjoyed this. Sad that her former classmate had to be put down, but she seemed mentally unstable already.

well, and Kurumi found a new friend. Looks like Hibiki would be a good companion. Funny, Kurumi got sad when Hibiki cannot be cat anymore. lol

and looks like that's a season 4 announce? nice. :)
Mar 17, 2021 7:33 AM

Mar 2008
Why they decided to do this in two regular-length episodes is beyond me. Way too rushed and too many questions left unanswered.
>Ecchi na no wa ikenai to omoimasu!<
Apr 8, 2021 3:47 PM

May 2017
Theres a lot of things i dont understand , i guess it will be explained later but , at first i was like "so shes inside the real kurumi after she got killed , meaning ppl inside got killed by kurumi , but no one know kurumi except sawa , kurumi dont know them too , so they didnt got killed by kurumi , this world is a place where dead spirit go

But then that mean hibiki is also a spirit , and she go back to real world , meaning hibiki is a new spirit in date a live

but they were in the same school than when sawa was alive...so it might be just memories of the real kurumi , and the half spirits would be sawa memories , or forgoten memories , but whos hibiki then ?! Maybe shes just a cat , kurumi have a thing for cats
Even sawa (linked to kurumi) reacted in a strange way when she hurt the cat
Loli world is just a cute world full of cute meat

Apr 14, 2021 4:15 AM

Oct 2014
Thats it? A good anime but lot of plothole unexplained. Maybe it explained in the LN so can someone help me?

-Isnt Kurumi should kill Hibiki (cat) in order to win the tournament? So basically, they cant go together to Kurumis world.
-How did Kurumi even die? How and why Kurumi murder Queen?
-What timeline is this in the anime? Is it after the latest date a live season?

Or who are those girls and what are their purpose. But those waifus are irrelevant. I hope someone can answer my question.

@FhpZod @MegamiRem
Apr 14, 2021 4:53 AM

Oct 2017
Gazz said:
Thats it? A good anime but lot of plothole unexplained. Maybe it explained in the LN so can someone help me?

-Isnt Kurumi should kill Hibiki (cat) in order to win the tournament? So basically, they cant go together to Kurumis world.

Or who are those girls and what are their purpose. But those waifus are irrelevant. I hope someone can answer my question.

@FhpZod @MegamiRem
This is a spin off story of the Date a live main story focusing the dead Kurumi who came to an alternate world.
Apr 14, 2021 4:57 AM

Oct 2014
MegamiRem said:
Gazz said:

@FhpZod @MegamiRem
This is a spin off story of the Date a live main story focusing the dead Kurumi who came to an alternate world.

Thank you. So basically, its unrelated to the original Date a Live. Good, now can you tell me what are your thoughts on my 3 questions above?
Apr 14, 2021 5:08 AM

Oct 2017
Gazz said:
MegamiRem said:

Thank you. So basically, its unrelated to the original Date a Live. Good, now can you tell me what are your thoughts on my 3 questions above?
By murdering Queen you mean the Sawa flashback part? If yes then that hasn't been shown in the main story anime yet, it's explained in LN later afaik. Also as for Kurumi killing the cat, that was a just a trap set from Queen iirc. I dun remember the content well enough to give a proper explanation unfortunately. Watched these two episodes when they came out which were months ago.
Apr 14, 2021 6:18 PM

Oct 2014
MegamiRem said:
By murdering Queen you mean the Sawa flashback part? If yes then that hasn't been shown in the main story anime yet, it's explained in LN later afaik. Also as for Kurumi killing the cat, that was a just a trap set from Queen iirc. I dun remember the content well enough to give a proper explanation unfortunately. Watched these two episodes when they came out which were months ago.

Its okay, the movie itself is confusing hence I don't blame you if you forgotten a thing or two.

Sorry if my elementary english is hard to read. Its my 4th language. Btw about Kurumi and Hibiki, what I mean is that, at the start of the movie she says that the winner of the tournament will get any wish they want fulfilled. However, its a battle royale so only one can win. Fast forward to Kurumi vs Queen, Queen got killed. So Kurumi and Hibiki left standing. However, they decided to walk out that 'garden like place' to go to Kurumi's world. Isnt that impossible unless Kurumi kill Hibiki? Her wish cant be granted if one girl is alive right.
Jul 10, 2021 10:08 PM

Feb 2014
wtf, there is explanation for nothing; plot holes everywhere

even if I like Kurumi... cmon, there is no way I can properly enjoy this with so many plotholes.

I guess our lovely Shidou-san is more important than her friend? That is the only thing I could got, I think.

5/10
Aug 8, 2021 10:42 AM

Sep 2017
Meh. Didn't really understand what happened
خ
Sep 20, 2021 9:59 AM

Aug 2018
So Kurumi wasn't always spirit?.. How she became spirit?..
"When you talk about precious memories, it starts to seem that it never happened".. Hm.. Interesting words by Kurumi..
Queen is the part Kurumi refused.. Hm.. What is that part?..
Why Kurumi had to kill her friend?.. Was it accident?.. Or there was some reason?..
Oct 6, 2021 2:50 AM

Jul 2012
Pretty decent/good overall. Seeing different Kurumi's reactions was funny and she is so cute =/ Short, but interesting flashback, i wish they'd shown why she killed Sawa (also who was the Kurumi at that moment).
The pacing is rather strange, like the battles just end instantly and you think, should it really be like that.

Overall 7/10 decent, not the best but enjoyable. Hope to one day to see the conclusion of the story.
Jan 20, 2022 10:32 PM

Feb 2016
Felt a bit rushed but nice animation (as always) and alright story
Jul 9, 2022 8:38 AM

Apr 2013
As usual DAL continues to be confusing. Stuff just happens without any explanation given.
Oct 31, 2022 10:09 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
I didn't like the background plot at all, and this episode ended up leading to a simple idea with just the right action.

A little disappointed. kekeke
Dec 23, 2022 4:13 AM

Dec 2012
Kurumi wakes up.
Her eye is normal.
Sawa.
Yui leaves.
Tsang wants to fight Kurumi last.
Betrayal?
Tsang wins.
Kurumi follows the cat.
Dat note.
Kurumi fires at Hibiki.

And that was the end. I cant believe they killed my waifu Yui. WTF! She was the sexiest DAL character. She was too fine to die. With that said... I knew Hibiki was the cat. Same eye color and neck tie.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Jan 1, 2023 7:39 PM

Nov 2010
Hmm, I'm unfamiliar with Sawa. Maybe I'll learn more about her if I watch the latest DAL seasons. I spoiled myself a little bit and discovered that she's one of her personalities.
Cool fights and I like the bullet techniques.
That ED is good!
Waifu wars + Kurumi = 8/10
Mar 7, 2023 5:22 PM

Mar 2021
After seeing DAL IV. it sort of made sense with the limited budget why they compressed 7 volumes into an hour long ova. They wanted it to have it connect as close to the main story without diverging into an almost alternate universe.
Apr 19, 2023 1:19 PM
Apr 2023
I just liked it. Nothing too special IMO

Jul 25, 2023 8:03 PM
Oct 2020
Loved seeing more of Kurumi, of course. But I think I had higher expectations for this one. Too high maybe.
Feb 18, 4:03 PM

Jun 2015
The premise of the show was decent, the animation and music were great too but both movies felt way shorter than what they should be. The characters were introduced just to be killed few moments later, the "plot twist" with the cat had 0 impact, this "otherworld" settings seems to be a big part of the DAL universe but it was badly introduced... Maybe the movie doesn't make the novel justice but the novel seems to be longer but the movie was just too cramped. Maybe if they reworked it, it would be better.

More topics from this board

» Is this the end?

Wannabiteme - Jan 13, 2021

5 by Delisches »»
Jul 27, 2022 4:38 PM

» Questions

Graslandfuchs - Aug 29, 2021

7 by Hashiriya_weeb87 »»
Apr 10, 2022 7:25 AM

Poll: » In which category should I put these?

Sixkko - Nov 19, 2021

2 by yMxrcoo_ »»
Nov 19, 2021 5:43 PM

» Hype ?

Anik00712 - Jul 10, 2020

21 by Hakaishin99 »»
Dec 27, 2020 9:56 AM

» Duration?

irrfan1378595783 - Dec 17, 2020

2 by sCreed »»
Dec 20, 2020 9:32 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.