Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Wandering Witch: The Journey of Elaina (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Nov 28, 2020 12:43 PM

Aug 2020
you know shits about to go down when a slice of life anime has a warning and doesn't play the op. Damn thats was just.... no words
Nov 28, 2020 12:45 PM
Jan 2018
This Episode was really cool!
Nov 28, 2020 1:35 PM
Feb 2020
By the end there's one thing that's been confusing me, did Estelle die?
Nov 28, 2020 1:56 PM

May 2018
Did they ever explain how Estelle survived being stabbed by the loli? Seems like a big plot hole to me.
Nov 28, 2020 2:34 PM

Aug 2020
wow, I really loved this chapter, the truth was I did not expect that ending, I knew something bad would happen but I did not imagine that Selene is the murderer, in this chapter Elaina could be seen vulnerable and sad for the first time, the story was intense and made me feel sorry for the situation Elaina was in, all that Stelle could not do, but it hurt me the most was Selene, She suffered a lot, nothing was her fault, maybe she killed her parents and went crazy, but she was the victim in all this, and it ended in a tragic and sad way. Heard the next chapter will be one much smoother so I will be able to recover from everything disturbing that I saw in that episode XD, it was still one of the best and dare I say the best of this anime.
a wise user of MAL said:
Just to clarify, adaptations should absolutely stand on their own
Nov 28, 2020 3:00 PM

Aug 2020
Can someone confirm something for me, did Selene's uncle abuse her too or did he just say it as a pretext to kill him?
a wise user of MAL said:
Just to clarify, adaptations should absolutely stand on their own
Nov 28, 2020 3:11 PM
🔥🔥🔥

Jan 2020
Hmmm. I've never felt so mixed about an anime. It's certainly interesting, let's say that.

🔥 🔥 🔥 . 阿良々木 暦, 傷 物 語 . 🔥 🔥 🔥
Build a man a fire and you'll warm him for a night
but set a man on fire and you'll warm him
for the rest of his life...
- H E N D Y -
Nov 28, 2020 3:20 PM

May 2018
Leoradiuju2004 said:
Can someone confirm something for me, did Selene's uncle abuse her too or did he just say it as a pretext to kill him?

I think it's left ambiguous on purpose.

Opticflash said:
Zanfroni said:

I think your point is pretty valid, but that just makes her even more edgy and one-dimensional in my perspective lol, especially considering she is a child. I think my biggest issue was the overall execution. I think it was because nothing was nuanced, everything was so over-the-top and in-your-face I couldn't take seriously (I mean, I laughed my ass off at her expression when she was about to get decapitated).

That's unfortunate, but at least I can see alot of people liked the episode, so I guess it's a positive note.

Majo no Tabitabi uses a rather comical, fantasy-ish tone to deliver its emotional moments, rather than a more serious or "mature" one. This is quite obvious from, for example, episode 4 when Mirarose decapitated her father and laughed maniacally. It's similar to shows like Kino no Tabi where issues are very exaggerated for effect.

It's fine to adopt a more natural tone, however I believe this comical approach is more resonant with the theme of the show.

That episode was handled really well and Mirarose's breakdown felt much more organic, it never felt over-the-top or comical. This episode just tried way too hard to convey emotions through its edginess and violence and it just didn't work, at least for me. Guess that's the beauty of people having different points of view lol. As for Kino's Journey, I can't share an opinion on that, since I haven't watched it.

I just feel worried about how this show will be remembered by. A fantasy anime about a traveling witch being remembered only because of its "controversial" episodes (the content being solely the violence and dark implications) is a pretty depressing sight, especially considering the chill episodes were really bland for the most part.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
KuniiNov 28, 2020 5:51 PM
"No one hates anime more than the anime community, which is composed of some of the most spoiled, immature, pessimist and ungrateful people on Earth."
-Anonymous anime watcher
Nov 28, 2020 3:31 PM
May 2019
This episode was dark. Kind of a predictable outcome, but you never really expect it to go EXACTLY like that. After this one i can truly say this show has the broadest emotional spectrum I can remember off the top of my head since Mushishi. 5/5
Nov 28, 2020 4:10 PM

Mar 2010
Idky elaina is so butthurt, I started clapping when she murdered that runt ass crazy little bitch murderer. Sure she had a harsh life and it was reasonable to turn out crazy but killing her was just as justified.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Nov 28, 2020 4:35 PM

Mar 2020
Nice episode. Even though I still like the lighter-toned episodes more, this was still amusing to watch. A dark episode indeed.

Now I know how this show could be described as "slice of life."
Nov 28, 2020 5:39 PM

Apr 2018
i hate it when you see it coming from a mile away but it still hurts like hell ;-;
Nov 28, 2020 6:02 PM

Mar 2017
I knew shit was going down when I saw that content warning, and the episode sure delivered.

'nom'
Nov 28, 2020 6:25 PM

Jul 2013
It's good to let the past be the past. Not everything is as faithful as how you remember them to be.

There's not enough build up and development to bring out the story's true potential imo. It could be so much better as 2 episodes. Also wish there's no disclaimer at the start, the murder scene could be more shocking if I hadn't anticipated it.

With that said it's still a well executed episode, just not as good as it can be. Better Higurashi episode than the actual Higurashi airing this season, for sure.
Nov 28, 2020 7:25 PM

Nov 2016
I'm blind af confirmed.
Didn't even see the warning at the start and didn't notice that there was no Opening, so of course I was expecting a happy episode all over again.

When Elaina meets the other witch and start doing the preparations I was actually excited to see what they will do and actually hoping for this to have a happy ending where no one fuckin dies. But well, that wasn't the case, instead we got a good blody scene where I was actually taking something to put in the middle of my eyes and the screen to not be able to see it (I watched it anyways xD)
Wasn't expected any of this, and I liked it, also liked the reactions of Elaina.
Nov 28, 2020 8:58 PM
Aug 2020
More like dark comedy than dark drama. What a joke.
SimpLifeNov 28, 2020 9:03 PM
Nov 28, 2020 10:08 PM

Sep 2011
Only_Brad said:
Did they ever explain how Estelle survived being stabbed by the loli? Seems like a big plot hole to me.

It is not surprising if either one of them used healing magic or time reversal magic, which Elaina is capable of. But I can't remember if Elaina's time reversal magic can also be applied to heavily wounded so healing magic is more likely.
TennoujiNov 28, 2020 10:11 PM

Nov 29, 2020 12:04 AM

Feb 2015
Yea I like this anime, but this is episode super weak. Just cheap, dark, edgy shit that's trying it's hardest to hide it's poor, rushed, predictable plot by overcompensating with shock value and emotional appeals. It was all just a bunch of predictable cookie cutter "dark" events and cliches smashed together haphazardly.

Undoubtedly the worst episode of the anime. This kinda pointlessly dark and edgy stuff should have been left out of the anime, it totally contradicts and ruins the entire appeal of the series. Not to mention it hasn't been done particularly well once in the show yet. This was more disappointing than it was dark.
Nov 29, 2020 2:20 AM
Oct 2017
Yuri-Crusader said:
More violence gore rape and over the top acting how lovely,so original I have never seen that before. Imo that is something cheap bad anime creators and writers use in lack of good ideas

This anime still have 1/10. And now it cant redeem itself and will get 1 in the end

While the show have flaws, giving it a 1/10 is an exaggeration. Plus you do know there is a LN where 1 volume is worth a whole season, so the "lack of idea" isn't really the case here

So Re:Zero is trash as well since its not the first show to have death and isekai theme, speaking of gore Tokyo Ghoul and Hellsing must be rated 1/10. MHA is trash since its not the first "from zero to hero", Oregairu/Toradora/Nisekoi are trash since their not the first harem show to exist huh????

I can understand if you pointed out the episodic feel and characters of the week which not all people may appreciate but your reason is just not for me sorry.

Mod Edit: Removed baiting.
anime-primeDec 2, 2020 3:03 AM
Nov 29, 2020 4:04 AM

Jan 2020
Damn, that disclaimer at the beginning was no joke, huh? Shit sure went 0 to 100 real fast.

Selena's story is so fucking depressing. The fact that she was constantly abused by her own parents is really, really disturbing. What she did at the end might not have been the best thing to do, I can't but feel sympathy for her. I feel bad for Estelle as well. To know that her best friend killed her parents herself after going through so much, must be indescribably painful. On a positive note, though, I'm glad that Elaina is finally realizing what she really lacks in and is trying to become more helpful towards others.

Easily the best episode of the entire show so far. I hope the next episodes will be able to keep up with it.
Nov 29, 2020 5:17 AM

Apr 2018
I actually got it right when Estelle's words "stab repeatedly" popped up in Elaina's head while Elaina was waiting for the robber, then Elaina started doubting why would someone really go that far in a robbery.

...since Selena also stabbed her uncle, repeatedly.

This hit me quite hard, left me quite a shock.

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain

Nov 29, 2020 5:27 AM

Apr 2015
...yeah I'm still angry at the mom even after 1 day has passed.

she probably cockblocked him and he turned his attention to the daughter. this bitch of a wife is not a wife but a parasite.
>I had no brain when I was 12
>Then everyone must had no brain when they were 12
>I experimented 100 samples and proved that they had no brain when they were 12
>Therefore children cannot consent

This is what science has done to humanity.
Nov 29, 2020 6:19 AM

Jun 2016
im just curious , so when they back estelle still alive or not ??

seems she got fatal injured when he try to save selena ??
Nov 29, 2020 6:38 AM

Dec 2018
bruhh...that turn of events...
Nov 29, 2020 7:42 AM

Nov 2014
Thery sure went crazy with blood and gore in this spisode. I feel like it wasn't needed to get the message across tho.

The part about Selena baing the killer was rather predictable from the moment they started talking aobut time travel - there just had to be twist or it'd be too easy and boring.
But I sure didn't expect that ending. What I expected after seeing Estelle use her memories, was Elaina simply lying to her that they saved Selena, take money and leave. I mean, that'd be in similiar style to what we saw in previous "darker" episodes. I'm kinda surprised it was such a shock to Elaina, considering it's not much worse than the stuff she has already seen (assuming it's all chonological?).

Either way, really nice episode.
JustAnotherShiroNov 29, 2020 7:48 AM
Nov 29, 2020 8:04 AM
Dec 2013
I just hope Elaina will finally develop some empathy now
Also is the viewer supposed to be surprised it's the kid or not? The hype and atmosphere indicate that's the case but the first half of the episode was hinting at the "twist" so hard
JohnTraitorNov 29, 2020 8:12 AM
Nov 29, 2020 8:31 AM

Dec 2018
-Aincrad- said:
Selena killing her own parents didn't surprise me one bit to be honest, I suspected it from the very beginning.

But this really was quite dark.
I really feel bad for Eleina, she'll surely be traumatized after this.
I'm curious if this will result in her personality changing a bit?

And also curious what the next episode will be about now. If it's just suddenly back to a random wholesome journey, that's kinda disappointing.

Apparently the episodes are chronologically disconected from each other like in this episode she is 17 years old while in the others( except the first 2) she is older than that so my guess is this is possibly the reason why she acts the way she does (trying to not get involved) but in my opinion this episode should have been the 3rd one because making your caracter seem like a narcissistic borderline sociopath for most of your show and then be like "actually look at this that happened 4 years before everything you saw until now" (again except the first 2 eps) seems really cheap.
Nov 29, 2020 8:58 AM

May 2016
Finally she has to show some emossions after that happened it was really making the show uncomfortable to watch with
her reactions of "Huh, I see".

Can't wait to see next week Elaina changing into a better person.

Did Estelle die at the end I hope someone can make that point clear?
Nov 29, 2020 9:04 AM

Apr 2020
azratun002 said:
bruhh...that turn of events...

Lmao I was just about to put this up.

Did Estelle die though?
Nov 29, 2020 9:17 AM

Dec 2018

I personally believe she didn't die. She was injured injured, on top of that she'd traded her memories for power but elena should have healed her is what I think, when elena ran out of the house I was quite surprised cause the elena we've been seeing would heal her first, right? I hope they'll at least show smth about this in the next episode
Nov 29, 2020 9:39 AM
Feb 2017
I figured Selena would be the one who killed her father, it was a bit predictable if you think about it. Nonetheless, it still was a pretty solid and dark episode. Loved it.
Nov 29, 2020 10:45 AM
Jan 2018
HistoricalMaize said:

Apparently the episodes are chronologically disconected from each other like in this episode she is 17 years old while in the others( except the first 2) she is older than that so my guess is this is possibly the reason why she acts the way she does (trying to not get involved) but in my opinion this episode should have been the 3rd one because making your character seem like a narcissistic borderline sociopath for most of your show and then be like "actually look at this that happened 4 years before everything you saw until now" (again except the first 2 eps) seems really cheap.

Wait tf is "narcissistic borderline sociopath" Supposed to mean again?
Nov 29, 2020 11:05 AM

Dec 2018
Descended_ said:
HistoricalMaize said:

Apparently the episodes are chronologically disconected from each other like in this episode she is 17 years old while in the others( except the first 2) she is older than that so my guess is this is possibly the reason why she acts the way she does (trying to not get involved) but in my opinion this episode should have been the 3rd one because making your character seem like a narcissistic borderline sociopath for most of your show and then be like "actually look at this that happened 4 years before everything you saw until now" (again except the first 2 eps) seems really cheap.

Wait tf is "narcissistic borderline sociopath" Supposed to mean again?

Well I really dont think the "narcissistic" part needs an explanation she spends 1minute every episode praising herself about how beautiful she is and how even the sun fades in comparison to her at the very least she is arrogant, now about the "borderline sociopath" after seeing this episode maybe just maybe I could understand her actions in the other eps, due to trauma (because those happen after this one), if she seemed to even give a fuck about whats happening but she does not and then the biggest problem with all of this imo is if this experience was so traumatic to her why does she help every witch she finds while not giving a single fuck about the normal people.
Theres is no "half trauma" she is either traumatized and because of that does not help others or she is just selectively chosing who to help,I have no problems with that, but the trauma excuse just does not work in this situation from a logical point of view specially because the traumatic experience happened while helping a Witch so if anything she should have a problem helping witches.
Nov 29, 2020 11:36 AM

Jul 2008
Is it me or this episode felt… as if it was from another series?

I mean, I liked the dark tone of the story, but Elaina was kind out of character. How do I say it?

After seeing how she felt nothing with the plant-zombies in episode 3 (when it was her fault to begin with)
She even stayed completely indifferent about the slave girl…

And how she was a mere bystander around the baker-princess in episode 4

I don't know, but I just couldn't buy her tears and interest at the end of this episode.
This episode should have ended with an exhausted sigh of our MC not with her tears.
NoHeartNov 29, 2020 11:40 AM
My candies:
Nov 29, 2020 11:45 AM
Jul 2019
DarknessReality said:
Ok. This wasnt...........as bad...........as I thought? Idk its still bad but I could stand it. I can see why we had 4 great nice episodes so they could do this. (Kind of like keeping it high in energy then going straight into the deep end).

Pretty gory episode. I can definitely say Im never re-watching this episode ever. If I somehow decide to re-watch this series, this episode is getting skipped instantly.

Episodes like this are just upsetting. I know some people like this more serious and dark stuff but Im way more in this for the last 4 episodes we had. Nice short stories about Elaina on her journey.

That shot of that girl with blood in her teeth is really disturbing. Its the screenshot I saw that got me back into watching this cause my curiousity beat me. I thought she was a cannibal or something but I suppose it was just blood dripping down from her. (I think). Tbh I was waiting for what the twist was thinking stuff like "I wonder if its the witch who's actually the killer of the parents" and whatnot but it was sort of unexpected. I say sort of cause I have seen twists similar to this so when it happened I was like "Oooh yeah, they can do it that way too". Probably for the best that the witch lost her memories.

Well on the brightside for this episode Elaina showed quite a bit of urgency and emotion for once. Ive never felt there was much urgency with Elaina and how she's always handling everything in a kind of chill and emotionless way so this was at least interesting to see. (I guess detached would be the better word)

Now, this will be the deciding factor on whether this series becomes something I can re-watch or something I'll never touch again. The next three episodes. If the next three episodes are nice like the last 4 we had, then this series is re-watchable and my score will stay at 8/10. (Or rise depending) But, if we get another gore fest like this one, then its re-watchablility dies for me. I dont want a re-watch where I skip a bunch of episodes and currently this series for me sits at 2 skip episodes. Episodes 3 & 9. So as long as the last three are great then this series is re-watchable.

But yeah, very interesting. My curiousity has been satisfied and I now know what all the talk is about.
It was a nice episode indeed. It comes to show that all parties in these events didn’t win. I also remember your symphogear XV forum posts, so it’s nice to run into you again.
Nov 29, 2020 11:48 AM
Jul 2019
BloodLeef said:
Did Estelle Die?
she’s still alive, but her memories of Selena are gone and she’s in an emotionless stupor

Only_Brad said:
she’s still alive

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.

Mod Edit: Modified quote of edited post.
anime-primeDec 2, 2020 3:05 AM
Nov 29, 2020 1:11 PM
Jun 2019
The moment the father said that he thought the older Estelle was telling the truth about being related to the younger Estelle because their napes/neck looked similar I got huge pedo vibes.

I think Bottled Happiness was a lot darker and was made better. It have a bunch of hints but it wasn't too obvious, and the open ending made it even sadder.

This episode was gory, but fairly predictable, especially when they showed the older Selena's bloody smile. At that point you knew that she was crazy to the core.
Nov 29, 2020 2:04 PM
Jul 2019
KRivet said:
The moment the father said that he thought the older Estelle was telling the truth about being related to the younger Estelle because their napes/neck looked similar I got huge pedo vibes.

I think Bottled Happiness was a lot darker and was made better. It have a bunch of hints but it wasn't too obvious, and the open ending made it even sadder.

This episode was gory, but fairly predictable, especially when they showed the older Selena's bloody smile. At that point you knew that she was crazy to the core.
I agree. Episode 9 was good, but Bottled Happiness from episode 3 had a better message and wasn’t too predictable.
Nov 29, 2020 4:03 PM
Apr 2020
TW: Gore, Blood,Death and Murder

I usually don't post on discussions, but wow was this episode killer literally. I read the warning and was okay with it cause i've seen some gore,blood and murder before which is no big deal. This episode was dark and eventful which I tended to like more than the others. It was enjoyable but thrilling at the same time. Then when the motive was explained it made way more sense to see her (the child's) p.o.v. This episode is a major change in how I see this anime and the rank it is in for this season.
Nov 29, 2020 5:08 PM

Jan 2020
ManWild said:
Masterpiece episode once again. There hasn't been a single uninteresting dark episode to me so far.

It was dark and brutal and I thought it worked perfectly with the context of this episode. This series keeps on getting better and better and it keeps on delivering

I just rewatched this episode again just now and I loved it even more than my original watch. It hit way harder emotionally and it genuinely hurt watching it. Definitely my favorite episode in the series now.

Nov 29, 2020 5:39 PM

Feb 2015
This episode was insane - insanely good, but also literally insane! O.O
I saw the twist coming, but I didn't think the things that happend afterwards would be this crazy and graphic!
Selena looks a lot like Rika, so I understand why so many people metion Higurashi (yay, fav anime time) in this discussion.
I don't get why people think this was "edgy" tho. This was a dark and brutal episode, sure, but it wasn't edgy imo. Also don't really get the comparisons to Re:Zero (which is a show I really like) nothing in that show shocked me nearly as much as the visuals here.

Fantastic episode imo!
There's no possible way you can steal my heart

I want to drown in this sweet Melancholy
Nov 29, 2020 6:42 PM

Aug 2018
Honestly - seems like it ain't an isolated point of view - I prefer this kind of episodes. The show started with that tone, something mature and full of darkness, almost depressing on some points. Now we're absolutely back into this creepy & brutal thematic which I prefer over the funny episodes.

Well those funny episodes are also fine but the strongest points of Majo no Tabitabi resides in its tormented chronicles, showing uncommon & bloody stories. I loved that episode.
Nov 29, 2020 6:46 PM
May 2020
Me when I see the beginning: I don't understand why they say that this episode is the darkest, the beginning is beautiful
I saw the end: ohh...
Nov 29, 2020 8:22 PM

Jul 2016
Selena's family sure is full of pedos, uh? I don't really want to overthink but the way how her father acknowledged Estelle as Selena's relative just by the look of her nape and neck was... "suspicious" to say the least.

Well, it was a tragic story indeed but no near as impactful as many people claimed it to be. The pacing felt faster than expected and particularly, the way how Estelle went from cherishing every memory she had with her precious friend to going full berserk because Selena "fooled her" and didn't reveal the fact of her being raped by her father felt extremely overdone. I think the execution left a lot to be desired and though it wouldn't have made a difference in my enjoyment, this story being split into two episodes would have fixed a lot of issues regarding story progression and character build.

Leaving that aside, I actually liked the detail of the episode starting and concluding at the same bench but with two different versions of Elaina. One being her usual smug and annoying self at the beginning and the other one with her being totally devastated at the end. Hopefully, this event will give her some much needed depth as MC but to be honest, some part of me seriously doubts she will start acting any different.
SouthRzVaNov 29, 2020 8:25 PM
Nov 29, 2020 10:38 PM
Jul 2018
Ugh but why did she have to kill selena.Selena was herself a victim and child .Instead of trying to reform her or something,she went for the kill. Estelle playing the victim card eventhough selena suffered more feels out of place.
Nonetheless good episode
Nov 30, 2020 12:00 AM
uwu

Mar 2014
kaiser17 said:
Ugh but why did she have to kill selena.Selena was herself a victim and child .Instead of trying to reform her or something,she went for the kill. Estelle playing the victim card eventhough selena suffered more feels out of place.
Nonetheless good episode

The reason why Estelle want to back to the past is to save Selena from trauma she's had from her parent's murder and violence from her uncle.

But as we can see, she has already become a murderer before. This fact... and with Selena not recognize Estelle as her best friend makes Estelle has no reason to keep her alive. You also need to know that they only have 1 hour to be in the past, no time to reform her or something.
Nov 30, 2020 6:18 AM

Feb 2015
Wow was this episode dark. I know it had that warning at the beginning, but still. Great episode overall. I'm excited to see what future episodes hold.

Anime | Profile | Manga
「The day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday I saw a deer, and today, you.」

Nov 30, 2020 7:21 AM

Feb 2012
Okay but I have no sympathy for Elaina, she's still the travelling bitch.

She was the one who decided to walk slowly when she knew the other witch was fighting because she didn't want to get involved,just get money with little to no work.
Then she calls herself inexperienced and useless for not being able to help, but she's the one who didn’t try until it was too late.
Not to mention she ran out of the house while the other witch is probably dying, not even getting help for her then.

And the show has the audacity to write this in a way where Elaina's the victim, when a whole lot of stuff could have been fixed if she wasn't so self centred.
She doesn't get to be self centred AND feel bad for herself when she 'fails'
Nov 30, 2020 11:41 AM

Jul 2010
Man...I'm not gonna lie, this episode was just BAD. Don't get me wrong, it's not the content of the episode that's bad. I've seen plenty of shows featuring child murder, sexual abuse, lots of gore, and so on, and many of them tackled these issues very well. This one doesn't. Not only does it play into the overused trope of "Children who are abused automatically become crazy killers no matter what", but the fact that it doesn't approach its subject matter with any kind of nuance or subtlety. Selena's parents are little more than one-note caricatures who are there just to be evil for the sake of it, and the overall presentation of Selena's downfall, both from her teeth being covered in blood, along with her being a crazy psycho, just come across as unintentionally funny and needlessly tasteless than anything, and it's clear this was just done for shock value and nothing more, mainly because Selena's just there to be a tragic killer who dies tragically.
Nov 30, 2020 12:37 PM
Jul 2018
smilewolfy said:
And the show has the audacity to write this in a way where Elaina's the victim, when a whole lot of stuff could have been fixed if she wasn't so self centred.
She doesn't get to be self centred AND feel bad for herself when she 'fails'

Elaina's privileged, self centred personality might have worked in a happy go lucky SOL type show, but having her be seemingly deliberately written as entirely self-serving, reasonably powerful AND routinely noping out of situations she can’t personally gain from and/or can’t bring herself to care about creates this perfect cocktail of tonal dissonance that the show seems to be fully unaware of.

Creating characters that are flawed or selfish isn’t impossible, but works generally have the self-awareness to acknowledge that said character isn’t in the right. Death Note has Light constantly presented as the villain, Umaru-Chan presents Umaru as selfish in a way that’s entertaining but also acknowledges that her behaviour isn’t ok, Ascendance of a Bookworm has Myne as frequently narrow-minded one-track and selfish but she’s constantly being shown up by everyone around her and forced to change. Wandering Witch does nothing of the sort, Elaina's personality is an entertaining quirk and that’s just about it.
removed-userNov 30, 2020 4:22 PM
Pages (9) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Does anyone know how long Elaina has been traveling and what age she started

Ninja_inslops - Nov 1, 2021

8 by Ranka-Nyan »»
Apr 19, 9:38 AM

Poll: » Majo no Tabitabi Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2020

243 by BlueBullet178 »»
Apr 12, 5:33 PM

Poll: » Majo no Tabitabi Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 4, 2020

129 by BlueBullet178 »»
Apr 11, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Majo no Tabitabi Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 13, 2020

173 by BlueBullet178 »»
Apr 9, 7:41 PM

Poll: » Majo no Tabitabi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 2, 2020

276 by BlueBullet178 »»
Apr 9, 7:38 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.