Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Nov 10, 2020 5:11 AM

Mar 2018
shoover188 said:
Wow. What a series. It's rated a criminal 7.56. WTF. This is easily the most original sci-fi anime I have seen in years. Super underated. I definately got way more Gurren Lagann and Matrix vibes then Attack on Titan, so IDK what people are talking about there. Regardless, the whole series was excellent. Loved the characters. Terrific finale. Favorite show of 2020 for me so far.

Exactly. First thing that popped into my mind while watching this was Gurren Lagann. Never thought of Attack on titan while watching this.
Nov 20, 2020 11:34 PM

Sep 2013
This is no doubt one of the most ambitious animes of this year. It has many interesting ideas that impressed me.

However, it would be 100 times better if the show was executed with a more serious tone. I don't think there is a need for comic relief in a show with post-apocalyptic setting like this.

Even so, it was at least trying something more different than others in seasonal anime, which is a good thing.
Nov 24, 2020 5:33 PM

Jun 2016
shoover188 said:
Wow. What a series. It's rated a criminal 7.56. WTF. This is easily the most original sci-fi anime I have seen in years. Super underated. I definately got way more Gurren Lagann and Matrix vibes then Attack on Titan, so IDK what people are talking about there. Regardless, the whole series was excellent. Loved the characters. Terrific finale. Favorite show of 2020 for me so far.

Never once thought of AoT when I first saw this. Those people love AoT so much that they see one thing in common with AoT, it reminds them of AoT.

To me, this is more like Monster Hunter or God Eater.
Nov 25, 2020 3:54 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Dang that was great. A great waste of time.... I wanted to prove myself wrong and that I would actually come to like this show after the episode 2 plot twist disappointed me to kingdom come. While watching the rest of it wasn’t half bad, it just could’ve been much better (for me, PERSONALLY) if they just left out all that AI alien cartoon whatever bs. Sure it’ll change a lot of the core fundamentals of the show, but in changing it to just be more simple I think it could’ve been much better. It redeemed itself a little bit now that I’ve finished it, but I’m left with a bitter taste when thinking of all the wasted potential. Sure it wouldn’t have been very special either way, but it could’ve been more, enjoyable. Whatever that’s just my own HUMBLE opinion I’d be lying if I said I don’t see how the majority of you seem to like it; I see the appeal for sure. That appeal is just not the type that sits well with me. Natsume was a good character, I wish she had a better show to be in

NYANPASU
5700XT

Dec 1, 2020 7:17 PM

Jul 2014
Well, Kabu-Dence won and the show ended as the creator wanted (makes sense from all this system talk). Deca-Dence is a better place now, but I wonder how did this all happen in the first place and what's behind that old city humans lived in. Looking forward to the 2nd season

8/10
Dec 14, 2020 7:03 PM
Nov 2020
Just finished watching this show.
This is what we called " A Hidden Gem" or underrated show.
I was enjoying this show from the first to the last. Fast paced Anime with good plot and good character, fighting scene and CGI was balanced and not overused.

Overall 8/10.
Dec 17, 2020 12:23 PM

Nov 2009
I honestly thought the first half of this show was absolutely dreadful but they managed to turn this around completely the more they got away from the boring Gadoll fights and focused more on what was really going on within the world, Think I'd find this hard to recommend to people overall because of the first 4-6 episodes but it ended up being worth it in the end.

7/10
Dec 19, 2020 9:03 PM

Aug 2019
honestly i'll give it that, Deca dence was definitely an anime i didn't expect to see myself getting into, but i really can't complain, this was a really stellar anime start to finish. This anime definitely had it's weakness and, weird parts to it that slightly made me loose touch with it, but honestly these weird twists like the robot overlords and game features really just added to it more.

Story wise, loved the plot and character interactions/development. The hidden twist of the world being artificial with robot overlords, had it downsides but i liked it.

Visuals were top notch. I'll stand by me saying that from start to finish, the fight scenes in this anime were absolutely amazing, a lot of action in them that all flows so well. Studio NUT once again acing the action. Design for characters and such, were pretty meh. The concept of Deca Dence is cool, with the whole using Gadoll blood as fuel, actual humans being residence inside and you know, being a massive fucking fist as well. The different forms of Gadoll as well as their ability to create those zero-gravity fields were all pretty creative in my opinion.

Music was just *chiefs kiss* hot . I really don't know if its because something about anime studios having the best taste in choosing the hottest string and woodwind instruments that just get me weak in the knees, but if so i love the ost in this anime.

Few downsides would be, ending felt eeeeeeeeh, didn't feel like it did the anime very good justice and felt like a slight killer to me.

All in all, i'll give it a 7.9/10. Like i really did enjoy this anime don't get me wrong, looking past the slightly goofy story it really is a very good overall anime, i just feel like the ending could have been slightly better.
Dec 25, 2020 6:52 AM

Aug 2008
Jill just happens to have made a backup of Kaburagi feels like an asspull to me but I suppose needed to have a full happy ending instead of letting the other characters live better lives thanks to his sacrifice. Overall things didn't quite click so will give a 7/10 but it was an enjoyable watch even if it won't be one of my favorites. Could still give it another go though.
Dec 30, 2020 4:29 PM

Nov 2014
I'm rather happy with that ending, but I still feel it could be much better. For one, we could use 10 more mins for an aftermatch. Epilogue, while nice, was way too abrupt, especially on the System side. And tbh I woud've preferred if they just destroyed that whole thing.
Dec 31, 2020 10:06 AM

Jul 2015
THIS DECA-DENCE IS THE DRILL THAT WILL PIERCE THE GADOLL!
Amazing anime, definitely didn't expect it to be this good. Even though a mix of different anime was noticable, it managed to be its own unique thing which studio NUT really gains my respect for. Really nice end with Cyborgs and Tankers living peacefully and boy Kaburagi returning from the backup!

Jan 27, 2021 7:14 AM
Feb 2016
Talk about underrated omg, pretty hype ngl
Feb 19, 2021 12:31 AM

Oct 2010
it was the happy ending we deserved, they threw in here in the last episode another twist, apparently the system was inside Decadence and the destruction was supposed to happen, it was a cycle of destruction of regeneration, very cool.
Kabu used his limiter, I don't really know why were those parts so important, it looked like rubbish and they needed oxyone but whatever.
The system is abolished with the destruction of Decadence and now the cyborgs are living together with the humans, what a story.
Natsume with long hair looks gorgeous and she met that copy Kabu in the end, good for her.
A very refreshing series and enjoyable to watch
8/10
Feb 24, 2021 11:47 AM
Jun 2015
I purely enjoyed the series, the twist in episode 2 like everyone was mentioning didn't really affect me. And I was awestruck with all the turns it took in the middle. Though the ending can be called cliche, I really loved it.

A solid 10 from me. I really won't mind a sequel or an ova, but I am happy with how this ended.
Apr 13, 2021 12:10 PM

Jun 2017
I saw a lot of inspirations for this anime. Reminded me of Eureka seven, Attack on Titan, SAO, Godzilla, Gurren lagann and Monsters inc. There might have been other mecha anime inspirations too. The robots designs were good and it grew on me. Pretty good overall. I think the ending would have been better if Kaburagi stayed dead though. The system abandoning its position and handing over the controls happened too fast and wasn't elaborated upon much. The first 3 episodes had some info dumps that weren't handled well. The explanation was too fast and they rushed to the meat of the plot.
7/10 for the anime.
Apr 13, 2021 5:52 PM

Mar 2016
The final glint in her eyes - did you feel it as hard as I did?

What a brilliant ending. For a time I thought Kabu's gone for good. Well not quite! The ending was interesting, but it left me kinda confused regarding the system. I guess Kabu broke the system's expectations? Might read up on it later, but the important things are resolved;

People live in harmony with little bots and even Gadoll (safe ones, as pets). Farming tools! Propeler hand extension! Tourism and entertainment. Extremely Wholesome. Love the series, leaving it a nice 10.

Apr 23, 2021 12:34 AM

Dec 2013
A solid ending with Kabu pushing past his limits!

Natsume's post time skip appearance actually looks really pretty.

I'm actually ok with Kabu surviving. Natsume's reaction at the end got me pretty emotional.
Jun 9, 2021 10:11 AM
Nov 2019
One of the most satisfying ending ever made. Remind me of the retro animes ending.
Jun 18, 2021 3:39 PM

Jun 2019
My 112th completed series chronologically.

For the record, I extended it a 7/10 rating.
Jul 30, 2021 7:13 AM
Jan 2018
You can tell that it had to fit as much as it could only in 24mins x 12 episodes with that quick epilogue.
Aug 8, 2021 7:13 PM

Jul 2013
In the first episode you kinda believe to know where the story could go and then episode 2 slaps you with such a crazy twist. I personally was excited to see something this unique and it also being an anime original surprised me even more.

Both Kabu and Natsume suited perfect as the main characters and their interaction was very enjoyable to watch.

What an satisfying ending. Kabu becoming Deca-Den...sorry I mean Kabu-Dence, breaking his limits with and finally killing this giant Gadoll with this big drill was awesome. Honestly I wasn't sure if he would survive. Obviously I was hoping for it but at this point it could have gone either way. Nontheless I'm glad Jill had a forgotten copy of him.

3 years later the system changed completely and Deca-Dence became a city were people are able to have fun. Tankers and humans now live side by side which is great. Natsume looked beautiful at the end but damn when I saw Kabu walking towards her and also seeing her reaction made me teary. I couldn't have asked for anything more. Thanks for this ride Nut!

Aug 11, 2021 5:30 AM
May 2019
This show is really good.

The plot is nice; I didn't notice big holes on the narrative; nice characters design; and fluid animation... Animation and design recall me of Devilman Crybaby <3

The only thing I didn't love was all three friendships (Natsume-Fei; Kaburagi-Minato; Donatello-Turkey) passed through the same issues: one of them didn't want life to change.
I don't know if I would realize this repetitive narrative if I wasn't studying Heraclitus ("the only constant in life is change), but I am, so that annoyed me.

Anyway, the show is great, I had a lot of fun watching it.
Sep 7, 2021 5:58 AM

Mar 2013
Well that was a fun ride! Sadly there was no kissing scene or marriage (system) between our two main characters as I'd hoped it'd be... 🥺😁😏 Well, if you think about it, they are a human and a cyborg. They would need to transfer his program data or should I call it a soul or memories into a real body... This paragraph will be off topic so I will stop here. 😅

I will miss the character of Natsume and Kabu but especially Natsume who has a character that never gives up! I really, really do love her character! 😍 I would love to meet her IRL! lol XD

Anyway, I am glad how this episode/series was produced. There's nothing wrong with the series as most of the animation was explained. I just hope people won't compare it with other stories... which won't really stop them...

Overall, I was entertained and satisfied at the very least. It was enjoyable per episode, the feeling of wanting more out of this story 9/10. 1★ is removed because there's no romance between them 😅! There's no Kabu's realization of love for Natsume... Only a letter, which is nice in this day and age.
CrazyButNot4USep 7, 2021 6:02 AM
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Sep 23, 2021 8:14 PM

Oct 2016
Really quite interesting story.
I enjoyed it a lot.
Thr only thing i dislike is natsume's behavior. I just dont like it, especially casually throw a word like push your limit.
I've fun 6/10
YES
Sep 29, 2021 1:45 AM

Jul 2009
One of the most unique anime I've seen in a long time! Came in expecting a TTGL clone and was pleasantly surprised by a premise that felt like a mesh of The Matrix with Attack on Titan. We've had many stories recently trying to subvert expectations only to fail hard (*cough* The Last of Us 2 and The Last Jedi *cough*), so it's nice to see this show doing it right for once. The first few episodes were super confusing, but thankfully the story got a lot better quickly.

Really enjoyed the chemistry between Natsume and Katsuragi. Natsume is an all-around likable protagonist, and Katsuragi pretty much stole the spotlight with his badassery and great character development. Gotta say though that while most of the cyborg cast are memorable characters, the humans other than Natsume are pretty much forgettable. I can't even recall the names of nearly all the human characters after finishing the show.

Another thing worth pointing out is the comedy. Most of the humor hit home for me, especially whenever Jill and Donatello are involved. Seriously, the cyborg crew was easily the best part of the show hands down. I was kinda iffy with their weird designs at first before realizing why the show creators made them that way.

Good show overall. Would have benefitted from more episodes and stronger world-building.

7/10
Oct 28, 2021 7:18 PM
Feb 2016
Well that was a sweet anime. Yes it feels like it's missing something, but the premise and technical execution of the series is wonderful. But what was really special to me was Natsume and Kaburagi, it's hard not to like them as characters. B-
Nov 3, 2021 9:21 PM

Nov 2019
The first episode was extremely good, but after it introduced the pseudo-virtual reality concept it just got plain weird.

The 'cyborgs' are the least interesting (and most cartoonish) part of the series by far, and they get more and more screen time toward the middle. As does the VRMMO terminology.

Ultimately it felt like a Gurren Lagann-SAO mash-up (with a Kaiba aesthetic) that couldn't properly sand down the edges where the two meet.
May 6, 2022 1:41 PM
May 2022
I give 6 out of 10 as I feel the story missing to tell everything about Pipe. As many people said why they have to kill the series mascot since they even have pipe doll for sell. Yes i think they not intend to really have Pipe die but have problem about episode and time management in later episodes so the last scene turn out to be just a still picture that show for few seconds then end instead of series of still pictures with credit and ending song play.

I think there are so many points that they can make the story to make Pipe live like he is a bug, his origin about come out of nowhere, even the sacrifice scene of Donatello end up in joy very fast( if Donatello survive Pipe that play major role too should alive too) Especially this series is not a sad depress like Attack if Titan there no need to have him die. Tons of reasons to let Pipe live.

I personally believe that the story let Pipe comeback but didn’t tell us directly as other gadoll back to life as friendly to human. The very last scene that show a still Pipe keychain on car’s side mirror then follow by the picture of two people back together again and Pipe keychain change appearance with big smile telling us that Pipe back to life too.
May 6, 2022 8:28 PM

Jul 2021
Some elements in this anime could have used more build-up (particularly for many of these characters), but it still kept me intrigued so... I believe the series would be far superior if it had more time/episodes to develop the characters and the world-building in general, as well as to provide us with more information regarding this "system." To be honest, we don't know much. The final is quite weak tbh. 4/10.
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Jul 10, 2022 5:45 AM

Feb 2020
Lot of interesting ideas especially similar to avatar, matrix and mortal engines (though with generic japan's usual troupe aka monster vs mecha). It's concepts and presentation were quite neat, but characterisation was quite weak especially in the first half. The first half (basically the human/tank and gear side people) were barely developed beyond character profile. Second half got better especially the correction facility arc was solid with good characterisation and development. Ending arc felt generic towards the safe side (plus a lot of potential setup felt wasted like hugin and kuranei felt wasted), though ending (new mashup world) had a lot of interesting idea too.

Female mc had a bit subpar character writing (there not substantial development even after the reveal). But the male mc was was good enough, probably the best character of this series. Other than that the only characters who stood out were the inmates from correction facility arc and the commander. The rest were not even worth noticing

So basically it started with interesting setup but very weak writing then got really better in second half and then towards the end landed somewhere in middle.

Ideas were fascinating, but it needed a better script writer who would actually put some effort in developing characters
AdampkJul 10, 2022 5:57 AM
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Aug 22, 2022 4:44 PM
Aug 2018
Original plot but started to decline later into the series.
Dec 11, 2022 7:48 PM

Nov 2022
This was a surprisingly good ending. No asspull or power of friendship making Kabu survive the collapse, but still managed to keep him around and just enough of a tease to show that he's back to Natsume without making it dragged out. Didn't try too hard to explain everything that changed since the fight, just showed what current society/life looks like. Good solid ending with no plot lines left open and a self contained season.

I was scared they were going to keep upping the stakes and let things spiral out of control, but they kept it all coherent and within reason. All in all, this was a surprisingly good show that very aptly landed the ending. I'm impressed.

8/10
Jan 22, 2023 7:42 PM
Oct 2019
Absolutely loved the show. 9/10.

...If they had a better ending. Look, I know a lot of people love the way they ended this anime, and I agree. It's a great show with a great ending. That being said, I just wish they didn't bring back Kabu at the end. It really undermines the huge risk he took to connect with the Deca-Dence, the high stakes of the last battle, and the sacrifice he made.The moment that red file came up on Jill's screen I had a feeling they would end it like this. Honestly it just feels like the same thing OnePiece did with the Going Merry and Mini Merry. They could've just ended Deca-Dence with Natsume looking at a statue of Kabu in both his cyborg form and gear forms, or they could've introduced a new area in the Deca-Dence with Kabu's name in it, like Kaburagi-Park or something.
For me, the ending made this a 8or7 out of 10
Apr 3, 2023 6:50 PM
Apr 2023
Incredible. Nothing more needs to be said. A fantastic end to a fantastic show.
May 30, 2023 9:15 AM

Dec 2022
That was quite an enjoyable anime. I enjoyed it much more than I initially thought I would. It was nice to see both robots and humans living in peace after a few years and that the existence of bugs are now deemed as necessary.
Though I wonder what happened to the Purple Nosed Guy as well as the creator of the system.
Jul 26, 2023 7:00 PM

Apr 2015
I..I think this was the best original Anime I had seen
it had many details and things that could've go wrong without a reference to guide it but it did great.

Yeah, maybe the implied reunion at the end might be a cliché and it was done to please the romance audience 
but it didn't do much damage anyway.
What an enjoyable ride.
Aug 14, 2023 7:31 PM
Aug 2023
I literally could not imagine a better ending to a series. Deca-Dence will go down as one of my favorite Anime of all time. seeing humans and cyborgs working together, the vile and corrupt system purged, cleansed, and brought to bear to truly help cyborg and human alike to build a new world was heartwarming. Damn, what a show.
Aug 14, 2023 8:08 PM
Aug 2023
deadoptimist said:
Now this was disappointing - and confusing. I believed this shows had subtler points, but in the end all we got were shounen tropes. Even the initial discussions here about whether cyborgs were human or not ended up being irrelevant. And what's with all the plotholes? The only good part was when the system told Kabu he would die in any case and it would survive in any case. (Which proved wrong.)

Where did the old system disappear, for example? What about its mission? Why did the revolutionaries get the admin rights so easily?

The show didn’t really address the important difference between humans and cyborgs or its implications. Like the cyborgs’ longevity and spare bodies, their technology and their supposedly inhuman mental state vs the desperate postapocalyptic way humans live, the suffering and early death they experienced. The cyborgs didn't care about humans at all at first (they were NPC for them), so why did everyone become friends so easily and why did humans have to live under the rule of cyborgs in the end too? Why did humans not seem to care about being lied to, controlled and killed and about the weird ugly artificial organisms who did it? One of the main themes seemed to be living to the fullest, leaving an impact. But it didn’t reflect in anything besides Kabu persevering in the right moment.

What about the gadoll? What they were, why are they peaceful now? They were animal experiements too which is immoral and had to be answered for.

What about the artificial bodies and the digital immortality cyborgs have? Could it be extended to humans? Like why don't cyborgs improve the situation for humans with their tech? What will they do without oxyone? What's even their economy, in the end? Also maybe the cyborgs can be considered moe in some way but not to the extent the series tries to push it.

What did actually happen with space compression? Or the dome? The system said there was no life outside of it.

And it's the same with personalities. Take Minato. Initially he was shown as a very complex individual with his ups and downs – he had plenty of faults – so why was he suddenly in charge in the end? Being the “commander” in the game isn’t the same as running an actual society. He was dismissive towards humans too during the whole series. And there had been a lot of gay shipping between him and Kabu, yet they were too chicken to use the fact that in the end he basically controlled what had become Kabu's body. The way they showed operating Decadance from within sure was lame.
And Natsume didn't evolve past a quirky inspiration.

Basically the characters simply maintaned the status quo, and the fact that the good outcome was an endless fun fair is almost offensive. Though they showed that Natsume was tired from her service job in an unusually life-like moment in the epilogue, while all the others were happy performing in a circus for some reason.

...This ending felt like a placeholder, in short. It was very immature and rushed. Or maybe the beginning was misleading. I expected more from the juxtaposition of the two worlds, of Mr.Dob-like cyborg aesthetic and their tiring entertainment corporate dystopia, of the humans' role and legacy in all of it.
Wtf? Seriously.
to answer a few of your questions, I would say that the rebels got the rights so easily because System had grown to be almost narcissist after centuries of absolute power, as any intelligence would, and handed over admin rights to Kabu to enjoy watching his final struggle and revel in its absolute power, only to be overpowered. it was so blinded by its own hubris it couldn't see how it could be beaten. as to why the Cyborgs started living hand in hand with humans after the rebellion, they saw them as NPCs because thats what the game portrayed them as. as usual, they remain, largely, complete dullards and care only for entertainment, and as such are happy with whatever game they are given, whether its fighting or farming. I have no idea what was going on with space compression. in terms of Minato, I think his inital depth was due to his internal conflict about being such a massive part of a game that was inherently wrong, and in the end he went back to his old ideals. in terms of the Gadoll, multiple times in the show its mentioned that they are programmed to be hostile to humans and to target them, and that without that programming they are docile. obviously the new system isnt going to make hostile Gadoll, but they still need them to make fuel (oxytone).
GrandMarquisAug 14, 2023 8:14 PM
Feb 25, 11:51 AM

Jun 2011
Really underrated show, one of the more unique ones out there. There are a lot of very likeable non human characters in the show.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Feb 26, 9:58 PM

Jul 2021
Though it wasnt favourite show the final few eps including the finale really changed my mind.

The end fight was nice and the animation was solid. Natsume really grew on me.

Overall 7/10

Apr 15, 6:10 PM

Apr 2013
Damn it, I wanted to hear Kabu-chan's voice after the time skip!!!

.·:*¨ 𝕾𝖊𝖙 𝕸𝖊 𝕱𝖗𝖊𝖊 - 𝕵𝖊𝖘𝖘𝖎𝖈𝖆 𝕵𝖚𝖓𝖌 ¨*:·. 𓆩♡𓆪
𝟬:𝟱𝟱 ㅇ──────────────── 𝟯:𝟮𝟲
↺¹ |◁ ▷| ⋮≡
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 16, 2020

78 by bubba460z »»
Feb 26, 9:34 PM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 9, 2020

123 by bubba460z »»
Feb 26, 9:13 PM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 2, 2020

126 by bubba460z »»
Feb 26, 7:55 PM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 26, 2020

112 by bubba460z »»
Feb 26, 7:02 PM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 19, 2020

137 by bubba460z »»
Feb 26, 6:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.