yes
73.3%
No
26.7%
90 votes
Sep 22, 2020 7:18 AM

Aug 2019
I've heard suicide is unique to humans which is interesting

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 22, 2020 7:22 AM

Dec 2016
seems like animals do it too

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_suicide
한 번만 살지만 제대로 하면 한 번이면 충분해요
Sep 22, 2020 7:24 AM

Jun 2016
I've never felt suicidal so I don't get it.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Sep 22, 2020 7:27 AM

Aug 2012
Awful. I don't suggest it no matter how shitty your life is.
Sep 22, 2020 7:43 AM

Aug 2020
I would never do it. Suicide is for the cowardly.
Sep 22, 2020 7:47 AM
Jun 2020
I've killed myself multiple times for some reason I keep getting summoned.
Sep 22, 2020 7:49 AM

Jan 2020

Made me think about that clip with the penguin.

Sep 22, 2020 8:00 AM
Jul 2018
Will never condone it.

Energized said:

I hate when people say this. Suicide usually committed through mental illness and hardships. Everyone mental statement different. Events that happen to people can destroy a weaker persons mind.
Sep 22, 2020 8:00 AM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
I personally don't think anyone should commit suicide.
There's euthanasia programs for those with certain kinds of diseases that do a much better, much safer, more comfortable job at letting go. Most methods of life ending have a high chance of being unsuccessful with a risk of permanent injury.
Youth ain't all there is to life. After the first 16 years of existence there's at least 60 more to go in most places. And if there's no debate possible, at least wait until parents/etc are deceased. It's kind of mean to have others feel heartbroken.

Sep 22, 2020 8:03 AM

Aug 2020
AmityBlight said:
Will never condone it.

Energized said:

I hate when people say this. Suicide usually committed through mental illness and [bhardships[/b]. Everyone mental statement different. Events that happen to people can destroy a weaker persons mind.

Everyone goes through hardships. What you do instead of offing yourself is man up and deal with it like everyone else. Doesn't matter if everyone's mental state is different. Still a selfish coward if you do it. Scarring your family like that because you were too much of a wimp to deal with your problems is pretty cowardly.
Sep 22, 2020 8:07 AM

Jan 2017
I as a person who attempted suicide in the past and survived am 100% of the opinion that everyone has the right to choose for themselves if they want to live or die. Your destiny is in your hands.
Some people are just unfortunate. Life is a misery to them and if they lose all hope they are free to decide. Nobody else has the right to stop them.
Sep 22, 2020 8:08 AM

Apr 2020
Stupid but it's a necessary evil because we need people to record it and put it on the internet.
Sep 22, 2020 8:11 AM

Aug 2020
ThatWhiteHand said:
God damn some people are so selfish...Nobody asks to come into this world, so if they are brought here against their will only to spend their life suffering, I'd say they have every right to do such a thing if they truly feel miserable.

There's people that are living in worse conditions than these suicidal people with first world problems. In fact, many of them eventually become successful. If there's someone worse off than you and still living on, you'd be a coward to off yourself.
Sep 22, 2020 8:12 AM
Jul 2018
No why would I feel suicidal? I believe in God and I believe in myself. I deserve to survive. To live. Why should I kill myself?

Suicide is a social issue. It’s in Sociology. It seems to me that people who contemplate suicide have difficulty in dealing with hardship and depend too much on others or their social position and they don’t believe in anything higher than themselves. I’m glad that I don’t have that problem and I pray that I never will.
Sep 22, 2020 8:25 AM
Jul 2018
Energized said:
AmityBlight said:
Will never condone it.

I hate when people say this. Suicide usually committed through mental illness and [bhardships[/b]. Everyone mental statement different. Events that happen to people can destroy a weaker persons mind.

Everyone goes through hardships. What you do instead of offing yourself is man up and deal with it like everyone else. Doesn't matter if everyone's mental state is different. Still a selfish coward if you do it. Scarring your family like that because you were too much of a wimp to deal with your problems is pretty cowardly.

Yes, but everyone hardship different. The mental state of person does matter.

If someone deeply depressed and they been this way for a long time they can't just "man up". They need actual help from someone trained to help with that problem. The mentality ill can't "man up" when they can barely control what they think.

I am not saying you're ignorant but its ignorant way to look at situation. Like army vet who recently killed himself.
Sep 22, 2020 8:28 AM
Jan 2019
Every person has the right to decide whether they'll live or not. I dont know where the hell did people come up with the fact it's selfish. To who? People you're leaving behind? What if I don't have anyone or my family hates me or something else?

The last thing people who choose to end their life are, is cowards. No one just wakes up one day and says "Oh, what a nice day to off myself". Things that precede sucide are often years and years of mental torture, psychotherapy, medication, coping mechanisms etc. And if there's a final point where it all becomes too much,who says death wont bring them peace?
Sep 22, 2020 9:07 AM
Jul 2018
Mental illness is a tragic thing to die because. Therapy helps so much.
Sep 22, 2020 9:34 AM

Aug 2019
wow 50% of people have felt suicidal in some point of time. That's very distressing to hear
Sep 22, 2020 9:37 AM

Jan 2009
its a big problem especially today with youth suicide due to more pressure to succeed or having toxic perfectionism or just because the economy is shit
Sep 22, 2020 9:45 AM

Aug 2019
deg said:
its a big problem especially today with youth suicide due to more pressure to succeed or having toxic perfectionism or just because the economy is shit

Being single and being unemployed are the biggest risk factors for suicide in males
Sep 22, 2020 9:50 AM

Jan 2009
Katapullt said:
deg said:

Being single and being unemployed are the biggest risk factors for suicide in males

yep male suicide is high right now too
Sep 22, 2020 9:55 AM

Jun 2020
Energized said:
ThatWhiteHand said:
God damn some people are so selfish...Nobody asks to come into this world, so if they are brought here against their will only to spend their life suffering, I'd say they have every right to do such a thing if they truly feel miserable.

There's people that are living in worse conditions than these suicidal people with first world problems. In fact, many of them eventually become successful. If there's someone worse off than you and still living on, you'd be a coward to off yourself.

Hardships and sadness aren't a competition. It's so ignorant to say something like "there's people that are in worse conditions than you, so you should've just get it together." No matter how many people out there who "suffer more" than you, it still doesn't make your sufferings invalid. All of those feelings are valid. And not only it's relative and subjective matter to every person, there'll always be other people that are in worser conditions. Saying that didn't actually solves the problems, but it just ignores the problems.

It's really easy to say, but for the people who actually went through it, everything is just a whole big mess. And it seems like suicide is the only answer. Also, I disagree with you saying that suicide is cowardly. Since I think it's the opposite, it actually takes a lot of courage to kill yourself, and someone who does it could never be fully sure of it too.
katastrofikalSep 22, 2020 9:58 AM

Sep 22, 2020 10:13 AM
Jul 2018
Due to what I believe about reincarnation and karma and stuff, I believe that suicide is counterproductive for the person/soul doing it. But I totally understand why people do commit suicide or want to.

I remember after Robin Williams committed suicide, some nice girl on Facebook who obviously never was remotely close to feeling suicidal in her life said "he killed himself because he wasn't loved" or something, and she explained that that's the reason why people commit suicide, and I was like, wow. There could be millions of different reasons why a person could commit suicide. It's not just one reason. (It also bothers me when someone says "such-and-such is the way depression looks", I'm like, no, depression can look a million different ways).

Some say suicide is selfish, which in a lot of cases, it is. But it's also selfish to want to keep a person (friend/loved one) here for your own gratification if you know how much they're suffering. Yes, you want them to get help and feel better and not feel that much pain anymore, but unless you believe they're going to hell or something, then choosing the option to keep them here (instead of letting them go) is partly for selfish reasons. If someone wants to keep a friend/loved one here and have them not commit suicide, it is never completely altruistic. It is partially for selfish reasons. (If it's a stranger, then it could be completely altruistic).

I would say suicide is selfish if you know how much it's going to make other people suffer. I would say in this case, suicide would be more selfish than trying to keep a suicidal loved one here, because if you want to keep a suicidal loved one here, then chances are you want them to get help and you want them to be happy. Whereas offing yourself is just you disappear and you won't be able to help your friends/family with the suffering that comes from it.

Also, in some cases, due to mental illness or whatever, some suicidal people do it because they truly believe everyone will be better off without them. I have heard that from some formerly suicidal people myself. So in those cases, it is not selfish at all, (though it is still extremely hurtful and traumatizing to others), it is not selfish because you truly believe you're helping everyone and not hurting them. (That idea is misguided and false probably 100% of the time, by the way).
removed-userSep 22, 2020 10:37 AM
Sep 22, 2020 10:13 AM

Aug 2019
holy shit more people said yes than no. Life can be pretty miserable I guess
Sep 22, 2020 10:53 AM

Aug 2020
katastrofikal said:
Energized said:

Hardships and sadness aren't a competition. It's so ignorant to say something like "there's people that are in worse conditions than you, so you should've just get it together." No matter how many people out there who "suffer more" than you, it still doesn't make your sufferings invalid. All of those feelings are valid. And not only it's relative and subjective matter to every person, there'll always be other people that are in worser conditions. Saying that didn't actually solves the problems, but it just ignores the problems.

It's really easy to say, but for the people who actually went through it, everything is just a whole big mess. And it seems like suicide is the only answer. Also, I disagree with you saying that suicide is cowardly. Since I think it's the opposite, it actually takes a lot of courage to kill yourself, and someone who does it could never be fully sure of it too.

Firstly, I never said your sufferings are invalid because people are worse off than you. I said you're a COWARD if you kill yourself while other people have it worse than you. Yes it does take courage to kill yourself, but living through your problems takes 100x more courage than that. So people that commit suicide are still cowards in my book. Especially if you're literally living in above average living conditions.

And they're also selfish for scarring their families or anyone else they know lmfao

And if you kill yourself because of problems you created, you're even more of a coward.
Sep 22, 2020 11:05 AM
Sep 2020
Not me. Not everything goes my way, but even at my most miserable, I do not think that it is remotely close to give me suicidal thoughts. I won't say that it is wrong, and I can imagine horrific situations that might result in having such thought.. but I hope that I will never have to find out!

Woah, serious talk!
Sep 22, 2020 11:23 AM

Jan 2009
I'm holding on
Why is everything so heavy?
Holding on
So much more than I can carry
I keep dragging around what's bringing me down
If I just let go, I'd be set free
Holding on
Why is everything so heavy?

Sep 22, 2020 11:28 AM

Jun 2016
As Milton says,
“The mind is its own place, and in itself it can make a heaven out of hell, and a hell of heaven.”
So I don’t particularly think it’s selfish or cowardly. Maybe short sighted, but not selfish.
I also think about DFW quote and analogy of the burning building.
“ The so-called ‘psychotically depressed’ person who tries to kill herself doesn’t do so out of quote ‘hopelessness’ or any abstract conviction that life’s assets and debits do not square... Their terror of falling from a great height is still just as great as it would be for you or me standing speculatively at the same window just checking out the view; i.e. the fear of falling remains a constant. The variable here is the other terror, the fire’s flames: when the flames get close enough, falling to death becomes the slightly less terrible of two terrors. It’s not desiring the fall; it’s terror of the flames.“

But it’s a sensitive topic, I don’t know much else to say personally. I just don’t know if it’s selfish because if the person really had close relationships or even just proper communication and expressing emotions with people in the first place they wouldnt be driven to take these actions.

But this is kind of another topic to go into about dealing with mental illness in general and how most people tend to be indifferent and insensitive to it, and would rather blame the individual for not “taking personal responsibility” instead of addressing it as a systemic/and or environmental issue.
Sep 22, 2020 1:23 PM

Jun 2020
Energized said:
Firstly, I never said your sufferings are invalid because people are worse off than you. I said you're a COWARD if you kill yourself while other people have it worse than you. Yes, it does take courage to kill yourself, but living through your problems takes 100x more courage than that. So people that commit suicide are still cowards in my book. Especially if you're literally living in above average living conditions.

And they're also selfish for scarring their families or anyone else they know lmfao

And if you kill yourself because of problems you created, you're even more of a coward.
Okay, then let me tell you, saying "people that commit suicide are cowards" just shows the lack of sensitivity and awareness towards understanding their problems, pains, and sufferings. Be it depression or any form of mental illness.

And by saying that it takes a lot of courage to do it, I agree that sometimes it takes more courage to live with that. But suicide is just neither a cowardly act nor a brave act. It's simply a cry for help. Suicide could never be justified, of course, but for the people who've attempted to do it, it would feel like it's justified for them to do it. Because of many reasons that we couldn't even fully understand. They have endured more than we'll ever know. Suicide isn't the best choice, but it's certainly not cowardly.

Yes, suicide could be scarring for the loved ones. But I wouldn't say that it's selfish. Saying that is just another form of guilt-tripping. It doesn't help anything. Rather, it just creates more problems by making them feel worse about it.

And, despite all the privileges that someone's got, living conditions, circumstances, etc, mental illness doesn't discriminate. It could happen to anyone.

Lastly, I don't encourage suicide in any way possible. But I strongly think that if we truly want to prevent it, we need to talk about it in the right manner and the best way possible, (which guilt-tripping and looking down on it certainly isn't.)

Sep 22, 2020 2:04 PM
Jul 2018
You'll end your pain and suffering forever. I think if someone wants to take his own life, it's ok
but I understand that people who were never suffering would never understand
Energized said:

what's wrong with being coward?
Sep 22, 2020 2:17 PM

Oct 2018
Never tried it. Yeah I wish I could do it, but Im a

Sep 22, 2020 2:32 PM
Jul 2018
katastrofikal said:
Energized said:
Firstly, I never said your sufferings are invalid because people are worse off than you. I said you're a COWARD if you kill yourself while other people have it worse than you. Yes, it does take courage to kill yourself, but living through your problems takes 100x more courage than that. So people that commit suicide are still cowards in my book. Especially if you're literally living in above average living conditions.

Okay, then let me tell you, saying "people that commit suicide are cowards" just shows the lack of sensitivity and awareness towards understanding their problems, pains, and sufferings. Be it depression or any form of mental illness.

And by saying that it takes a lot of courage to do it, I agree that sometimes it takes more courage to live with that. But suicide is just neither a cowardly act nor a brave act. It's simply a cry for help. Suicide could never be justified, of course, but for the people who've attempted to do it, it would feel like it's justified for them to do it. Because of many reasons that we couldn't even fully understand. They have endured more than we'll ever know. Suicide isn't the best choice, but it's certainly not cowardly.

Yes, suicide could be scarring for the loved ones. But I wouldn't say that it's selfish. Saying that is just another form of guilt-tripping. It doesn't help anything. Rather, it just creates more problems by making them feel worse about it.

And, despite all the privileges that someone's got, living conditions, circumstances, etc, mental illness doesn't discriminate. It could happen to anyone.

Lastly, I don't encourage suicide in any way possible. But I strongly think that if we truly want to prevent it, we need to talk about it in the right manner and the best way possible, (which guilt-tripping and looking down on it certainly isn't.)

What’s to understand? If they’ve committed suicide they are dead and gone there is no reason to try to understand the thoughts on a person who thinks no more because they are deceased by their own hand. He who understands such a person may just start thinking the same way and suffer the same fate. I would be glad to never understand the thoughts of a person who committed suicide.

How is suicide a cry for help? Can’t help the dead.

As for those who attempt suicide and survive a lot of them go on to find a reason to live anyway. I don’t hear of people attempting suicide more than three times it seems they either succeeded by then or they give up on trying to die or they find a reason to live. The only person who loses out is the one who successfully kills himself.
Sep 22, 2020 2:40 PM

Jun 2020
I think about killing myself every day, yall lucky if you guys don't have those recurring thoughts.
Sep 22, 2020 3:19 PM
Jul 2018
Promethazine said:
I think about killing myself every day, yall lucky if you guys don't have those recurring thoughts.

Are you American? I know your location is set to Cali but I don’t know if you are American.
Nas and Kelis said if you think about it everyday that’s the american way.

Actually they aren’t talking about suicide but the chorus is catchy.
Sep 22, 2020 3:23 PM

Nov 2013
in the case of having a terminal illness where there is nothing but a looming trajectory of immense pain and loss of control of ones mind/body etc at a rapid rate then i am in full support of assisted suicide.

outside of that, there's lots of different lifestyle changes you can make and treatments that you can potentially access that may alleviate/completely change the game for you. it may be very hard, but possible to turn things around
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Sep 22, 2020 3:27 PM

Jun 2008
Here's why suicide is dumb

#1 God and heaven are NOT real, yes I'm SOOO edgy, but just listen for a second....there's no such thing as an afterlife which means that when you die, that is literally it...game over, nothing more.

#2 So you might be thinking well, if there's no afterlife, I got nothing to gain, but I also got nothing to lose....WRONG!

You have EVERYTHING to lose....even if your life is shit, even if everything is going wrong....you gotta go through it because as cliche as it is....there IS a light at the end of the tunnel.

It is better to live and push forward even against all odds than to die and that's that.

You play to win the game.
Sep 22, 2020 3:43 PM

Aug 2009
Never felt the need to off myself. There are some valid reasons for suicide.For example if you got a painful debilitating incurable illness. Because you feel fucking sad or depressed is not a valid reason for suicide. We have privileged assholes living lives that other people all around the world could only dream of having just offing themselves when people with cancer and other terminal diseases, people who been through immense emotional and physical hell trying to stay, people literally dying of starvation and even people who will be in prison for the rest of their lives trying to stay alive. IF you live in a first world country you are privileged compared to the rest of the world.
Sep 22, 2020 3:58 PM

Nov 2009
It’s something I’ve thought about more than I should but I wouldn’t ever do it. I think if you’re depressed it’s more the feeling of being a burden, wondering if people would miss you and then one thought leads to another. I would never actually commit suicide even if I had those kinds of thoughts. To me even if I was feeling down I would know deep down that those are irrational thoughts.
Sep 22, 2020 4:06 PM
Jul 2018
People should do whatever they want. If suicide is there answer, just let them go. I, personally, still have a lot of stuff left to do. I mean, one piece hasn't even ended dude.
Sep 22, 2020 4:13 PM
Jul 2018
BannedAkko said:

What’s to understand? If they’ve committed suicide they are dead and gone there is no reason to try to understand the thoughts on a person who thinks no more because they are deceased by their own hand. He who understands such a person may just start thinking the same way and suffer the same fate. I would be glad to never understand the thoughts of a person who committed suicide.

Understanding the thoughts of someone who committed suicide can help in treating people with mental health problems who are suicidal but have not successfully completed it (or have never tried). Learning these things would be especially helpful for a therapist for example, but even laypeople like myself will be better off in understanding how to help such people to get into a better mental state, if we have a better understanding of how the person's mind actually works. The more you understand a problem, the better you are at treating it.

BannedAkko said:
How is suicide a cry for help? Can’t help the dead.

I imagine they meant that a suicide attempt is a cry for help. Although I don't necessarily agree with that. I think in some cases a suicide attempt is only a sincere desire to leave this planet and this life forever, without any desire to get help from anyone.
Sep 22, 2020 4:14 PM

Apr 2010
I think it's pretty entertaining when I play GTA and jump off the highest building in the game. Jokes aside, I don't really see the point in. I mean we're all gonna die eventually why expedite it?
Sep 22, 2020 4:16 PM

Aug 2014
How MAL might think I am:

How I think I am:

How I actually am:

Sep 22, 2020 4:22 PM

Sep 2017
Suicide is for pussies Just go to a therapist
I might've felt sad at times but not suicidal or anything
خ
Sep 22, 2020 4:27 PM

Jul 2016
--ALEX-- said:

#1 God and heaven are NOT real, yes I'm SOOO edgy, but just listen for a second....there's no such thing as an afterlife which means that when you die, that is literally it...game over, nothing more.

#2 So you might be thinking well, if there's no afterlife, I got nothing to gain, but I also got nothing to lose....WRONG!

Odd that you say there's no God as if it's a fact. It's impossible to prove or disprove so it's just your personal belief.
When someone is suicidal, thoughts of what happens after they die don't come into it. Mental illness messes up how the brain works, logical thought processes included - hint is in the name. Their current life is so painful that they want to end it regardless of the consequences.

Sep 22, 2020 4:49 PM

Apr 2010
Minerrr said:
Energized said:

the only people who should kill themselves are people who say this.

Woah dude you're not much better than him by saying that..
Sep 22, 2020 7:16 PM
Jul 2020
Everyone has a right to keep or take away their lives, no one should be condemned from doing so. That being said, I personally think that people should be looking after themselves and going to a therapist before concluding to such drastic measures.
Sep 22, 2020 7:37 PM

Aug 2017
well i die multiple times, but i am a gamer and gamer can't die they respawn
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 22, 2020 7:51 PM
Jul 2020
yh sadly lmao ive thought about it many times, and what always keep me from doing anything is 1) i dont want to destroy the life of my parents and most close friends and 2) in my belief (i dont have a religion) after we die we will eventually be reincarnated, so theres no point on doing that, it will only make the suffering longer. My feelings r literally theres no escape from this life so the best thing i can do is keep existing the best way possible
Sep 22, 2020 8:18 PM

Apr 2018
It is something people choose when they don't care anymore.
Perhaps, there are other options?
Sep 22, 2020 8:42 PM

May 2013
Have I ever felt suicidal?

That is an intense question to ask on a poll. Suicide and me have a complex history together.

I've tried to kill myself twice. Both attempts were overdosing, which is an extremely painful way to die I learned.

What's interesting and snapped me out of a suicidal funk was a near death experience I had overdosing on drugs accidentally. Boom no more suicidal ideation.

It's interesting how it is all about perspective.

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

49 by Meusnier »»
54 seconds ago

» The level of NoLifer / NEET / Hiki you are?

IpreferEcchi - Apr 22

27 by cyandaqil »»
12 minutes ago

» Who is the most perverted person you irl ?

Thy-Veseveia - 9 hours ago

4 by LoveYourEyes »»
18 minutes ago

» whats your shoe size ?

sussybakagirl420 - Mar 22

25 by Jozuwa-_- »»
28 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you care about your native culture?

Kamikaze_404 - Apr 9

46 by scarydragon »»
36 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.