Forum Settings
Forums

What's a bad first episode for a really good series?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 28, 2020 9:28 PM
Jul 2018
I didn't particularly enjoy the first episode of The Tatami Galaxy, because the art style was rather strange along with the subtitles being extremely fast. But after watching a few more episodes, I completely fell in love with the series.
Aug 28, 2020 9:39 PM

Oct 2018
ZER0PT said:
Jojo Part 1. Even big Jojo fans agree that the first episode and part 1 is kinda weak compared to the rest.
I disagree. So much stuff happened in the 1st episode. The Joestar-Brando rivalry was established so well in this episode. Dio is such an asshole(killing danny, kono dio da, boxing match) that when Jonathan made his ass cry it was satisfying as hell. In fact I think the prologue victorian drama up until the mansion burning was the best of Part 1
~Spiritual Healing~

Aug 29, 2020 12:39 AM

Apr 2020
deoclasher88 said:
ZER0PT said:
Jojo Part 1. Even big Jojo fans agree that the first episode and part 1 is kinda weak compared to the rest.
I disagree. So much stuff happened in the 1st episode. The Joestar-Brando rivalry was established so well in this episode. Dio is such an asshole(killing danny, kono dio da, boxing match) that when Jonathan made his ass cry it was satisfying as hell. In fact I think the prologue victorian drama up until the mansion burning was the best of Part 1

That doesn't mean much compared to the later parts. Jonathan for me is a weak character and Dio while being good he has way better moments in later parts imo.
Go watch Gintama boyo/grill
My discord server for gaming and anime/manga: https://discord.com/invite/4mqXfNEJ9A
Aug 29, 2020 7:36 AM

Apr 2016
One Outs has poor first two episodes but from the third episode the series become so damn good.
Aug 29, 2020 7:38 AM

Jul 2017
Catalano said:
All of gintama is bad filler, are you one of those who watch it for the fights? To each their own I guess.

I can't remember anything right now
imagine watching gintama for the fights.
Aug 29, 2020 7:47 AM

Jun 2009
Steins gate, and it's not only the first episode, for me, the anime started to shine from episode 12-13, everything happening before that was mediocre at best.

If i followed the 3 episode rule on steins gate, i would have dropped it after the 3th episode, i'm glad i didnt, but the first half was pretty boring.
Aug 29, 2020 7:48 AM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
Shigofumi has a horrible opening episode for an otherwise solid series.
Aug 29, 2020 7:57 AM

Jun 2020
I'm surprised no one mentioned this yet x3.

Shinsekai Yori's first episode doesn't have much going for it, and it's confusing the first time around. It means to introduce the world but it just makes it look like nothing special, and the characters aren't particularly great.
Well, tbh it's not only the first episode but the first few episodes, but when it takes off it takes off powerfully. So yeah, that makes the first episode great for rewatching too.

Generally I think bad first episodes are just bad in hindsight because they're so different compared to the amazing quality you got later on. A bad first episode for a bad series wouldn't be a "bad first episode", it'd be normal fare for that series.
TadanoMariAug 29, 2020 8:01 AM
Aug 29, 2020 8:01 AM

Feb 2015
MellowStar said:
Hunter x Hunter(2011).While I did like the first two episodes,I put it on-hold for 2 months just because I didn't feel like waiting 20 episodes for Killua.

I think the first episode is kinda bad because they cut out some important bits from the manga. Which is weird because the later episodes stay pretty faithful to the manga.
Aug 29, 2020 8:05 AM
BL Connoisseur

Oct 2008
Shiki and Cute High School Earth Defense Club (I think that's the name in English? I can't remember the full name in Japanese either, only Bouei-bu). Both of them I dropped after episode 1 because in the case of Shiki, episode 1 was very boring for me (I don't like Megumi) and for Bouei-bu it was... shockingly awkward, hahaha. Like, I legit felt firsthand embarrassment because of how stupid they looked during the transformation scenes X'DDD But I came back to them again, and both were great. Shiki has an amazingly dark and psychological plot that gave me the same aura as Shinsekai no Yori, and Bouei-bu was hilarious all the way. So glad I powered through the first eps and ended up watching them. XD

On that same note, Shinsekai Yori as well. I tried, not even exaggerating, four separate times to get through the first episode. Ever since like. 2014. I always somehow stopped at Saki's rite of passage ritual and never went past that. But when I finally watched it with mom October of last year it turned out to be good. Glad I gave that one like, five chances lmao.

I am forever your most devoted believer.

Aug 29, 2020 10:12 AM

Aug 2018
The only good series with a bad first episode is gintama but honestly saying that is kind of cheating
_______I like rocks__
Aug 29, 2020 10:28 AM
Apr 2014
The 8th son, are you kidding me? and the ascendance of the bookworm begins with the "ending" to explain things before we start in the beginning and paces trough the story and ends up going to that end.
Aug 29, 2020 11:02 AM

Aug 2013
Something like this never happened to me.
If I hated something at the beginning, I hated it later too.
The opposite happens sometimes though.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Aug 29, 2020 11:03 AM
Great Love

Mar 2019
I almost dropped angel beats at the beginning

Aug 29, 2020 12:08 PM
Mar 2018
I don't think such a thing exists. I can't think of one at least
Aug 29, 2020 1:02 PM

Apr 2020
Hunter X Hunter

It has a really generic "lets go adventuring and meet great Nakamas along the way" - like first episode"

I would argue that the entire first Arc is giving off some kind of light hearted , fluffy vibe - which really only get's darker when Hisoka is on screen.

I liked it^^ But you really don't expect the rest of the series to get so great after watching the first Ep.
Aug 29, 2020 1:06 PM

Mar 2020
Space dandy for me personally felt pretty weak at the start
Aug 29, 2020 1:09 PM

Aug 2015
FMAB is easily one of the best examples of this.

The funny part is how the first episode kinda predicts/shows what the series will do later.
Aug 29, 2020 1:13 PM

May 2020
the first half of jojo part 1 that jonathan joestar arc was good but not as good as the rest of jojo joseph joestar arc was great
Aug 29, 2020 3:26 PM

Jan 2015
Death note. I remember watching the first episode probably in 2009, and for some reason it just felt incredibly bad to me. Rewatching it, it's not that bad, but when I first saw it, it had the power to put me off from watching the show for a few years.
その目だれの目?
Aug 29, 2020 3:32 PM
Jul 2018
toshi densetsu ep 1 was the worst one
Aug 29, 2020 4:58 PM

Aug 2018
The first brotherhood episode wasn't all that tbh. It was pretty much a filler episode
Aug 29, 2020 5:40 PM

Jan 2016
I would say Code Geass. It's not bad, it just has a lot of information presented in a single episode

Aug 29, 2020 5:56 PM

Feb 2009
Ga-Rei: Zero - bad episode to start a anime
Aug 29, 2020 6:37 PM
Apr 2020
The first thing that comes to mind is ep 1 of Durarara, it's a seriously good series but ep 1 doesn't really do anything too flashy to draw people in (unless you're counting the background music which is super awesome)
Aug 29, 2020 9:22 PM

Apr 2014
Hakata Tonkatsu Ramens. The first episode is all over the place, jumping around between scenes so much that you can barely keep up, and I very nearly dropped it right then. Gave it one more try, and I was hooked by the end of the second episode.

Steins;Gate, like everyone else, though in my case, it was the first 3-4 episodes; everything after that point was great. And once the plot started moving, I realized those episodes were a lot better than I thought they were at the time, since they were setting up timestream 'landmarks'.

Also like everyone else, the entirety of Jojo part 1. Now that I'm a fan of the series, I feel a lot less harshly toward it, but mainly in regards to the plot; the battles are still ridiculous even by Jojo standards.
Aug 29, 2020 10:41 PM

Jul 2019
Hunter x Hunter 2011. The whole finding where the exam was being held arc was kinda boring. But after that, smooth sailing
Aug 29, 2020 11:01 PM

Jan 2008
First episode of Shingeji no kyojin. It was just confusing. None of the plot is even hinted and there's no good haha moments.
𝘔𝘢𝘥𝘢𝘰 𝘪𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘮𝘢𝘴𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘰𝘧 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘱𝘢𝘳𝘬. 𝘈 𝘤𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘵𝘶𝘳𝘦 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘢 𝘣𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘥 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘴𝘶𝘯𝘨𝘭𝘢𝘴𝘴𝘦𝘴. 𝘐𝘵 𝘴𝘪𝘵𝘴 𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘱𝘢𝘳𝘬 𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘥𝘢𝘺 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘸𝘰𝘳𝘬.
Aug 30, 2020 5:45 AM

Jun 2015
While I wouldn't call them bad, the first two episodes of Petite Princess Yucie are probably the weakest in that show. They're lots of fun, but the series shows its true colors at the end of the third episode and that's what made me realize it was going to be something truly special, whereas before that I just thought to myself "Yeah, this is fun and cool."

💖 𝐼'𝓂 𝒽𝒶𝓎𝒹𝑒𝓃❣ 💖

⋆ ˚。⋆୨୧˚ 💝 𝒯𝓌𝒾𝓉𝓉𝑒𝓇 💝 𝒴𝑜𝓊𝒯𝓊𝒷𝑒 💝 ˚୨୧⋆。˚ ⋆
💝 𝑀𝓎𝐹𝒾𝑔𝓊𝓇𝑒𝒞𝑜𝓁𝓁𝑒𝒸𝓉𝒾𝑜𝓃 💝
Aug 30, 2020 6:05 AM

Aug 2016
cant think of any. but I can give you a fantastic first episode for a really good series. Planetes
Aug 30, 2020 9:52 AM

Sep 2017
Zetsuen no tempest. The first episode doesn't even have to do with all the whole series, because it just shows a normal world without all the magic and things that happen after and basically a normal life with no background. Most people could think it was an school romance in the first episode because of it's incorrespondence to the history.
Aug 30, 2020 11:42 AM
Playing Violet

Jun 2017
Shinsekai Yori had a strong momentum in its middle episodes, but it's first one is just traumatizing for the first few seconds of the episodes, and the ending to it was kind of lackluster, if not disappointing..>.>;
Aug 30, 2020 2:39 PM
Feb 2016
Pet Girl of Sakurasaou makes a horrible first impression, but gradually becomes a good series overtime.
Aug 30, 2020 6:58 PM

Aug 2018
Elfenlied is a great example of a quite bad first episode while it's a great anime in general. Can't really say I'm a big fan of it's first episode, honest.
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this message is unavailable in your region.
Please come drink tea, eat cake and procrastinate at the Cute Girls Doing Cute Things Club. We have simulwatches! \o/
Aug 30, 2020 7:16 PM
May 2019
Angelerator said:
Steins;Gate. I think a lot of people don't like the beginning episodes.

agreed
like 2 years ago, when the first time i saw steins gate.
5 eps and thats it, i dont care anymore lol.
but recently i try to rewatch it and become my top 5 anime of all time.
Aug 30, 2020 7:23 PM

Jul 2019
noam-the-useless said:
durara. the episode is not bad, it just doesn't show anything unique about the series, and you understand what you walked into just on epidsode 2

durarararararararararararararara

Aug 30, 2020 7:28 PM
May 2016
Kaguya-sama love is war. It kind of fails to quite deliver it's premise. It does get the mind games portion, but it kind of fails to properly communicate that it's a comedy
Aug 30, 2020 9:45 PM

Oct 2019
Fate/Zero's first episode was almost an hour dump of boring exposition but after that smooth sailing
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 8 hours ago

29 by TheMechaManiac »»
1 minute ago

» What's an anime that didn't meet your expectations, and what's an anime that exceeded them? ( 1 2 )

JKKH - Jul 18, 2022

66 by shiro-seishun »»
3 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

223 by iftsistrnn »»
15 minutes ago

» Do you consider the opening(s) and ending(s) when rating an anime? ( 1 2 )

Hacker075 - Mar 15

62 by _ATG_ »»
16 minutes ago

» Would you be surprised if someone said your favorite anime was the greatest anime of all time? ( 1 2 )

MeanMrMusician - Mar 28

58 by _ATG_ »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.