Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 8, 2020 9:53 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That's a pretty boy...almost thought he was a girl for a sec.

Looks like the main theme of this show is still literature and the importance of the books. As far as I'm concerned, some of these standalone episodes connects the overall premise of the anime together.

Character bonding also plays a role even with these minor characters or maybe we'll see more of him? Anyways, this show is back now and we're getting more episodes later this month. I hope there won't be too much schedule conflict again.
May 8, 2020 11:55 AM
Sep 2015
There is no straight explanation for this episode.
May 8, 2020 12:24 PM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
Perhaps it'll all come together in the end. At the very least, it felt refreshing to be back to a more recent era. I was kind of expecting the new character to be a writer of some kind, but perhaps that in the fate of this interlude the character is destined to break through his state and to become a writer. And then, he could be introduced. But the cast is already diverse enough, so I'm not even sure if that's necessary. For all I'm concerned it could even be fanfiction material.

May 8, 2020 1:18 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
RIP Haruka.
Funny because I was reading Osamu Dazai this morning, interesting author
May 8, 2020 1:30 PM
Apr 2019
Again, this shows fails to make me care about anyone. Hell, I can barely remember the names of those two guys and I just watched the episode 30 minutes ago. And why were they even in the episode? They were about as interesting as watching paint dry. And we're bombarded with literature stuff and I couldn't care less. I love literature but this anime is just not doing a good job of making me care. This episode is all over the place with its characters and plot. By far the worst episode so far.
May 8, 2020 5:39 PM

Sep 2014
Really, people didn't like it? At first I thought I was accidentally watching the wrong show, but I really liked the perspective on why people find meaning in classic literature. When those last couple books just evaporated it was almost physically painful.

... Excuse me, I need to go read a book now...
May 8, 2020 5:57 PM
Sep 2015
phantomfandom said:
There is no straight explanation for this episode.

Hahahaha it's funny cause it's true.
May 8, 2020 5:58 PM
Sep 2015
Anyone else feel like they should try reading their books after this episode? I can just imagine them yelling at me while reading XD
May 8, 2020 9:29 PM

Jul 2017
Finally back after 3 weeks, and I thought I was watching the wrong show...until the signature literature showed up.

A reconnection through modern times, and Osamu Dazai (plus the others whom we've seen so far, just dressed modernly) shows themselves up in the modern world to check on some rando guy (Yoji) interested in classic literature.

And that someone made a friend (Haruka), a girlish-bishounen whose interests interconnect.

Whatever the case this is, books and literature go hand in hand, as much as this recurring topic will often show up.

And of course, what better else than the Taints threatening Haruka's position, RIP to a world where Taints rule.

Akutagawa's dream, but questions about the Alchemist stil linger though.

Interesting, but still boring though.
May 9, 2020 12:29 AM
Jun 2017
Elinnea said:
Really, people didn't like it? At first, I thought I was accidentally watching the wrong show, but I really liked the perspective on why people find meaning in classic literature. When those last couple books just evaporated it was almost physically painful.

... Excuse me, I need to go read a book now...

Same! I didn't have any expectations at first but now I love it! It'll be difficult if you don't know japanese literature but I, myself is a literature college student hence this is a perfect show for me to learn more about their literature. Also, I just downloaded the game recently!
May 9, 2020 7:32 AM

Mar 2017
Wow. Just wow. This episode was incredible! It might not seem like something that awful to most people but a world without literature would be such a dull and bleak world to live in and this episode perfectly portrayed that!

I really related to Haruka because No Longer Human also changed my life. Dazai is such a wonderful writer in the way he perfectly captures how hurt and isolated the world can leave you. Even if he was considered a failure in life, I feel like he was a great man who has reached the hearts of people beyond his own life time and that takes talent.
May 9, 2020 7:34 AM

Mar 2017
Kaichou1010 said:
Anyone else feel like they should try reading their books after this episode? I can just imagine them yelling at me while reading XD

I'd definitely recommend No Longer Human by Dazai cause that book is amazing.
May 9, 2020 3:48 PM
Aug 2018
I thought what others initially thought too, how it felt like I was watching the wrong anime, but after finishing the whole episode, I realized this was just an elaborate setup for the following episodes!! The message wasn't huge for me, making me super bored, and I wanted to drop the episode at least 3 times while watching it but I sat through it and it was so worth it
May 10, 2020 5:09 PM

Apr 2017
kater_tot said:
Wow. Just wow. This episode was incredible! It might not seem like something that awful to most people but a world without literature would be such a dull and bleak world to live in and this episode perfectly portrayed that!

I really related to Haruka because No Longer Human also changed my life. Dazai is such a wonderful writer in the way he perfectly captures how hurt and isolated the world can leave you. Even if he was considered a failure in life, I feel like he was a great man who has reached the hearts of people beyond his own life time and that takes talent.

Me too, his whole monologue hit really close to home. No Longer Human changed my life.
May 11, 2020 11:09 AM

Jan 2019
This one hit me good in the heart
[font="\"Proxima Nova Regular\", \"Helvetica Neue\", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"] aa[/font]

May 12, 2020 6:05 AM

Mar 2017
omegarabbit said:
kater_tot said:

Me too, his whole monologue hit really close to home. No Longer Human changed my life.

It's so good right? Have you read any of his other books? I want to read Setting Sun too
May 12, 2020 6:47 AM

Apr 2017
kater_tot said:
omegarabbit said:

It's so good right? Have you read any of his other books? I want to read Setting Sun too

Absolutely! I've read a few things by him, think he's probably one of my all time favourite authors. I do definitely recommend The Setting Sun. I have a couple short story collections... Blue Bamboo and Crackling Mountain which are great. and I just started reading Return to Tsugaru.
May 12, 2020 7:02 AM

Mar 2017
omegarabbit said:
kater_tot said:

Absolutely! I've read a few things by him, think he's probably one of my all time favourite authors. I do definitely recommend The Setting Sun. I have a couple short story collections... Blue Bamboo and Crackling Mountain which are great. and I just started reading Return to Tsugaru.

I'm gonna give them a read too. Do you like any other Japanese authors? I've read short stories by Mori Ougai, Junichiro Tanizaki, Satomi Ton & a few others
May 12, 2020 12:28 PM

Apr 2010
I thought it was an actual book... so disappointing it wasn't. It could be a fine book.

May 15, 2020 5:45 AM

Apr 2017
kater_tot said:
omegarabbit said:

I'm gonna give them a read too. Do you like any other Japanese authors? I've read short stories by Mori Ougai, Junichiro Tanizaki, Satomi Ton & a few others

I've read In Praise of Shadows by Tanizaki Juunichiro, which was excellent. It was recommended while I was doing my undergraduate in fine art. I've also read Murakami Haruki (hiiiighly recommend Kafka on the Shore), a collection of Akutagawa's short stories, and a collection of Edogawa Ranpo's mysteries. I have a collection of Nakahara Chuuya's poems (they're unreal) too. Finally I have a few of Soseki Natsume's books, but so far have only finished Kusamakura. Eventually I will get to Kokoro, haha.

Really want to read Mori Ougai! He's on my list. What do you recommend?
May 15, 2020 6:52 AM

Apr 2017
EfiChan said:
I thought it was an actual book... so disappointing it wasn't. It could be a fine book.

I thought the same!
I was surprised by how momentarily dark it got, too.
May 21, 2020 12:58 AM
Sep 2015
kater_tot said:
Kaichou1010 said:

I can't read kanji or katakana to save my life, do you happen to know how much of it would get lost in translation from Japanese to English? Did you read it in English?
May 22, 2020 8:45 AM

Mar 2017
Kaichou1010 said:
kater_tot said:

I can't read kanji or katakana to save my life, do you happen to know how much of it would get lost in translation from Japanese to English? Did you read it in English?

Yeah, I read it in English because I'm in no way fluent enough to read the original Japanese. It's a brilliant book in the English though so I'd recommend it
Jun 5, 2020 10:10 AM

Jan 2015
Was really not expecting this kind of episode, I like how different authors were throwing their remarks whenever they are mentioned, lol Chuuya: "How can you even get my poem wrong"... makes me want to read some of the books.
Jul 9, 2020 4:58 AM

Oct 2017
Well this was surprisingly good. Haruka looked kinda like a girl, would have been a trap if he was voiced by a female va lol.
Aug 20, 2020 2:58 AM

Jul 2015
Before he said anything I really thought Haruka was a girl, sad that he committed suicide and it all turned out to be a dream. Really wonder who the Alchemist is and if we will get to see him before the season ends.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bungou to Alchemist: Shinpan no Haguruma Episode 13 Discussion

KANLen09 - Aug 7, 2020

17 by BrokenCord83 »»
Jul 9, 2021 2:10 AM

» Real BungoSD or something else?

MOna-Dazai - Jan 29, 2020

7 by bakarikuzu »»
Jun 26, 2021 2:50 PM

Poll: » Bungou to Alchemist: Shinpan no Haguruma Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2020

70 by HagePotPotato »»
May 31, 2021 9:18 PM

Poll: » Bungou to Alchemist: Shinpan no Haguruma Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - May 29, 2020

14 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Dec 15, 2020 10:24 AM

Poll: » Bungou to Alchemist: Shinpan no Haguruma Episode 12 Discussion

Discordia - Jul 31, 2020

5 by Unkrowned »»
Aug 20, 2020 6:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.