Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Mar 20, 2020 5:12 PM

Apr 2018
The consensus is that it sucks, and I agree. This anime really blows! it was generic, characters weren't anything special, the plot and the poor writing were all horrendous to watch. So many cliches, poorly explained abilities and characters, an abundance of plot holes, I mean I can go on and on but I won't. I'll just leave it at that. I really hope we get better animes next season.
Mar 20, 2020 5:49 PM

Jul 2014
Guess I'll go against the grain a bit and say that this anime is good for a dumb edgy death game anime. I find the entire genre to be unwatchable but I unironically enjoyed this one.

The use of annoying tropes and moments of stupid writing are definitely present as you would expect from this sort of show, but they arent as numerous compared to other series of its type. I appreciate the author putting a non-comedic-relief male character like Ryuuji in the main cast and letting Rain & Sui be their own person instead of harem members lusting after Kaname. I wasn't as bothered as I thought I would be by the female lead being yet another yandere killer who wants to get in the MC's pants because Shuuka is a genuine badass who stands out during her own scenes without Kaname.

That being said, none of them are exactly interesting or deep characters. Kaname himself is also very much your average Japanese good-guy-with-morals type of MC without any sort of quirks or unique personality. But for what its worth, I think hes better written than other plain average joe MCs in this genre. His actions and thoughts are all understandable, and the way he is driven by the loss of his male school friends is very human. At least its better than him being the resentful otaku loser type found in so many power fantasy shows.

I also appreciate the lack of sexual violence or even the threat of it. Wang could have easily been the creepy disgusting rapey type on top of being a psycho murderer but it seems the author is better than that. Not saying that it somehow makes him a good villain though, as hes still just a generic "Im so evil I love killing!" type of antagonist.

Lastly, the animation is surprisingly good and even great in some scenes. This show got a lot more love than I expected from the animators. Last place I would expect some nice sakuga is from an anime adaptation of a niche trashy battle royale manga.

Anyway, news of a 2nd season would be nice but I would neither be too disappointed nor surprised if it doesnt get one. I'll read the manga either way, but I will definitely miss Ueda Reina's sweet murder voice for Shuka and Oomori Nichika's monotone loli voice for Rain.
Mar 20, 2020 5:57 PM

Jul 2016
KingKrab said:
Kaname learnt how to have 100% hit accuracy with his gun in only 2 months, GG.

Ikr he went from snivelling pissbaby to israeli mossad, didnt even get a montage

In Season 2 he'll reach super saiyan without 100x gravity training
Mar 20, 2020 6:00 PM

Nov 2016
Definetly not the worst Battle Royal that we have but, it's still bad, nothing makes sense the main character is incredible powerfull after playing for 1 month and only 1 game, how tf can he defeat Shuka? One of the best players in the game, in his second battle??? Yep, nothing makes sense and the animation is overall crap, I do have to say that the seiyuus did a great job, and the anime can be funny.

The first episode was good but this turned out to be a disapointment 3/10
Mar 20, 2020 6:02 PM

Jun 2016
I liked this anime and its characters even though I usually don't like this kind of "killing game" themed animes, like for example Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku that personally I found very disturbing, I hated it, but for some strange reason I appreciated Darwin's Game , no more than a 7, but I liked it.
I think that the MC (Kaname) even though is a very standard shounen character is kinda cool and also the other characters create a good "blend", the story is interesting, nothing special but nothing awful either, good anime.
Mar 20, 2020 6:09 PM

Jan 2019
Well, at least the bad guy got what he deserved. Still I have to say the way in which he was portrayed during the whole series make him looks like he was really OP, almost invincible. So the way he was killed is really lame in my opinion, very one sided.

Following the logic of the show it would be no problem if there has been some sort of power up on the protagonist side, but the only thing that really changed was the MC's mood + him turning into some sort of pro sniper out of nothing and the female MC getting wires... To be fair: the chains loli was already kind of op, but lets not forget she got owned by the ice kid in the past...

So you are basically telling me that a guy that is pretty much the devil encarnated, which lead an entire gang of lunatics, a person who can teleport and easily kill people with all sort of supernatural powers like the pyrokinetic girl as example.. this same villain get butchered by some gal using wires... even worse is that the last resource of the villain is to swap places with the gal which is controlling the wires??? Same gal that by the way was not even able beat the kid using ice and water during the hotel arc..

Sorry but that must be one of the most retarded endings that I've seen in a while.
I guess that on the good side the animation while not really good but at least is not full of ugly cgi...

rieihdiusMar 20, 2020 6:22 PM
Mar 20, 2020 6:25 PM

Jul 2017
LETTSSS GOOO! To Kaname's revenge plot! FINALLY, after realizing his actions from Episode 1, the penultimate finale truly shows his wilful, unforgiving character, and with it, the clan battle of Wang's Eighth vs. Kaname's Sunset Ravens.

It was a psychological battle of insanity and stupid proportions, but no matter how bad it was, from Shuka relentlessly carving dismemberment ends for Wang from her true powers of her Sigil, to Kaname landing the final blow with his special privilege he earned from the Treasure Hunt (and Ryuji getting his end of the deal of revenge).

D-Game has definitely borne a new king, the most OP character it has ever had, and it's Kaname controlling the game.

Well, after coming all this way, as trash as everyone in consensus says about this show, I did have some enjoyment with this.

Not the best, not the worst, but not bad either. Time to read the manga!
Mar 20, 2020 6:37 PM

Jun 2013
second season when?
Mar 20, 2020 6:44 PM
Jun 2017
i just love the finale as Kaname and gang really tortured the leader of clan 8 before killing it... yeah...

and im going to be happy of it will indeed have season 2...
Mar 20, 2020 7:03 PM

Nov 2016
Was pretty enteraining during the first couple of episodes, but it lost it's flavour quickly. Still watchable because survival game series.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 20, 2020 7:40 PM
Jun 2013
great anime 10/10 for me. really would LOVE a second season, but if not it ended really well. watching that Wang guy be tortured and tormented and making him think he is going to be able to win or get a hit on Shuka was amazing, i actually got pleasure from watching him suffer b/c he DEFINITELY deserved every bit of it. and one of the best part of this anime is that it had that touch of romance that i want every anime i watch to have
Mar 20, 2020 7:45 PM
Oct 2018
Awww man I expected more but the last episode was a meh. I'm disappointed. The first few episodes were interesting and it went downhill for me.
Mar 20, 2020 7:53 PM

Sep 2018
Ok this anime not be the best but the op and ending are really good
Mar 20, 2020 8:56 PM

Jan 2014
I'm not fully sure what some were expecting in this. But I suppose that's just people's tastes. I can see their points, some I don't agree with, some I do.

For me, this show was decent. I thought the story was well built, least for the MC at least. His growth into what he'd later become is prob the main good thing story wise. Wang was built as a piece of shit that we'd want to see killed, so no problems there. Sure, other characters could've had better writing, but wasn't too bad at all.
Mar 20, 2020 9:49 PM

Mar 2008
Gotta love how the audience are fine with MC being another mass murderer at the ending.
Mar 20, 2020 10:12 PM

Dec 2014
So it's over, thankfully it ended with Wang getting what he deserved.

Overall, it was okay. I'd say it's better than most of it's peers of the genre, it was watchable and also entertaining at points till the end so yeah, I'm happy it turned out half decent.

6/10
Mar 20, 2020 10:43 PM
Feb 2015
Well this was a very okay show. The characters were so boring in so many ways, especially the mc, and the plot was nothing interesting. The Wang vs Shuka battle was very underwhelming, too. Definitely one of my least favorites this season.

That being said, it did have some good intense scenes and a pretty good soundtrack. I also appreciate the black dress for Shuka at the end. The opening was also amazing :]

6/10
Mar 20, 2020 10:52 PM

Oct 2019
"killing people is bullshit"
the main protagonist says, after mass murdering like 20 people. LMFAO.
4/10 series because of the dumbness of some scenes.
Mar 20, 2020 11:10 PM

Mar 2015
Did it end already? Just when it's was getting decent again.
Mar 20, 2020 11:12 PM

Jul 2016
I absolutely hate the art style of this show and the power levels of the characters are so inconsistent. I can't stand Shuka, MC, and pretty much the rest of the characters. The only character that made this show watchable was Rein. 3/10
Mar 20, 2020 11:35 PM

Dec 2019
This is a forgettable standard action series. No one will remember this, and the few that do will most likely look back and feel how dated it is (or will become at least). I wouldn't consider it bad, but it's definitely not good either. I'm personally not a huge fan of gun fights, and while certainly not every fight is a gun fight, the protagonist's power is to create firearms out of thin air and there's enough of them in the show to bore me. The other powers were okay, but not terribly interesting. The plot was convoluted, however I have definitely seen worse offenders so I can overlook it. I'd prefer more character development, more alone time without action, but this show seems to exist for one purpose. Oh well, it could have been better, but I think it accomplished what it set out to be: a filler action series.
Mar 21, 2020 12:24 AM

Jul 2016
Damn, couldn't have asked for an edgier final episode even if it was possible. Kaname didn't even let Ryuuji kill Wang despite having him remembering us weekly how much hatred he had towards the guy.

Not much to say about this series overall. The first couple of episodes were bad yet still kinda entertaining due to how absurd some situations were... then the story tried to become ambitious and deep with its weak writing about human morality and stuff, to finally end up being your typical "edgy" show full of one-dimensional characters, pretentious storytelling and of course, the usual and overly lunatic villain who only wants to burn, destroy, torture, rape, kill, etc. just because... why not?

2/10 - Wonder if Gleipnir will be any different next season. They may have nothing to do in terms of plot but for some reason, I can't help but sense the same vibe when it comes to these two shows. That being the unnecessary over-the-top violence and the little-to-no development between characters. Anyways, we'll see.
Mar 21, 2020 12:41 AM
Mar 2019
i dont get the hate, i still enjoy the show despite of its inconsistencies, its a shounen in the first place. Shuka is my fav character in this series.
Seems like all of the negative reviews from this show is just one-sided and i dont like how it impacted my view in this show.
Yes, this aint perfect nor the best, but its also not that "bad" or "shit" to be downgraded.

Critizing is good, but exaggerating it just brings a show to its grave even if it doesnt deserve it.
I love K-On, and so should you.

Mar 21, 2020 12:45 AM

Mar 2008
Thoroughly enjoyed, hope the manga eventually gets picked up for localization.
Mar 21, 2020 2:09 AM

Apr 2010
Great end to the season. Hope there is a season 2.
Mar 21, 2020 2:48 AM

Mar 2014
Can't say I didn't see that coming but still "how disappointing"
3/10
RedChromeMar 21, 2020 2:59 AM
Mar 21, 2020 4:55 AM

Oct 2012
well guess we wait for when s2 is a announced.

next arc will be a banger btoom style
Mar 21, 2020 5:56 AM

Jul 2015
Imagine finnishing a serie you don't like :p
Mar 21, 2020 7:26 AM

May 2019
It was entertaining to watch, despite the writing fallacies and flaws. I had fun watching.

We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths.
As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are.
That's what death is, don't you think?

------------------------------------
Itachi Uchiha
Mar 21, 2020 8:26 AM
Oct 2007
Story is pretty linear but there are some cool moments here and there. I actually expected this to be a lot worse LOL! Surprisingly it wasn't as bad as I thought, seeing how I managed to last until the last episode 6/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 21, 2020 8:46 AM

Jun 2017
Not a recommendable anime. It was just ok. There are far worse anime than Darwin's Game though. At least this one didn't irk me.

She got him back. If you understand the characters well enough, you'd know she did!
Mar 21, 2020 8:57 AM

Oct 2008
lol edgy show ended...i thought it was 12 episodes...anyway Kaname is badass and spread the fear... oh really? you gotta keep in mind that that there would be someone better that you thingy...anyways
3/5.
5/10.

Mar 21, 2020 10:17 AM

Apr 2017
Enjoyed this show more than I expected. Deserve a solid 7/10. Hope that we get a season 2 later
I don't typically read manga so if I get anything right please don't tell me.
Mar 21, 2020 10:27 AM

Sep 2017
I got some good guilty pleasure out of this anime. The ring collecting minigame was a lot of fun to watch. This last arc was considerable less so unfortunately. In the last episode I think one of the eighth guys said they had jammed the police officers guns some way or another. Well it looks like they messed up and did it to themselves because I don't think a single bullet was fired upon our Ravens.
Mar 21, 2020 10:53 AM

Mar 2014
Survival game series are a mixed bag. Sometimes you get something that's total trash but it's so bad it's good, like Ousama Game. Sometimes you get something that is extremely boring trash. And rarely you get something decent or even good. This belongs in the second category for me. The idea of putting D-Game in the present world was supposed to be innovative, but the author hasn't handled it well at all. It is just a source of a huge amount of plotholes. The characters were as forgettable as it gets because they are 100% one-dimensional. I have even forgotten half their names. Many moments were cringe-worthy, like Kaname's edginess or Wang being evil for no reason. Oh and I rarely say this, but the art was TERRIBLE. The faces have really small eyes and their nose is abnormally long, like it starts higher than their eyes so they end up looking too ugly.

3/10
Mar 21, 2020 11:06 AM

Nov 2016
Hope for another season, finally MC got some balls and it was starting to get interesting. It was little boring at start but with each episode it was getting better. (+++ points for not annoying comedy in serious battles)
Mar 21, 2020 11:30 AM

Apr 2018
When Kaname finally became a interesting character the series ended. I really enjoyed that killing spree at the start.

I wouldn't mind a second season tbh.

I'd give it a solid 6/10
Watashi wa a victim of cyberbullying. Everyday someone online calls me a "weeb" desu. Watashi won't stand for this. 26 percent of bullying victims are chosen due to their race or religion desu. I may look like a basic white boy, but deep down I am Nihongo desu. Watashi religion is anime. Anata wa bullying me because of my race and religion desu ka? Disgusting desu. Anata should be ashamed of yourself, racist pig. A baka gaijin like anata is probably jealous of my race and culture, cause Nippon is more sugoi than your shitty country desu. Watashi pity anata. You'll never be Nihongo like watashi. Educate yourself on nani a "weeb" is.
Mar 21, 2020 1:20 PM

Sep 2017
Well... that was pretty bad, lol. I guess every season needs one of the "popular manga that get a shitty adaptation" anime, huh? I'm not sure if it necessarily deserves the sub-5 scores I've been seeing some reviewers give it, as I think describing this anime as average is perfect, with its unexceptional aspects in almost every area imaginable.

Predictable and uninspired, Darwin's Game failed to live up to its decent premise and only managed to garner disappointment. Each episode is filled with numerous retired cliches that serve no purpose other than to fulfill the overpowered cast of main characters. Bad shows seem to get second seasons though, so we'll see what happens with this. I'm not sure if I'd return for a season two. 5/10.

Mar 21, 2020 1:26 PM

Feb 2017
Lols ... so much hate for DG.
It wasn't even close to be one of the best things of this anime season
but i wasn't as bad as people here make it seem.
for me is a (MAL: 7/10) (my score: 6.5/10)
Mar 21, 2020 5:31 PM
Jul 2013
Lame Fight like in the manga. Wang was supposed super Strong and get killed so easily. Work has started good but get ownhill very fast. Think now it will be like Triage X and Dead Tube with MCs who are super strong and dont will have any problems.
Mar 21, 2020 6:19 PM

May 2018
I think this is an okay anime, while it excites me it is still bad. Love the first half of the show, but it got bad immediately on the last part of treasure hunt.

Mar 21, 2020 6:38 PM
Oct 2012
I enjoy most of the shows I watch, and Darwin's game wasn't an exclusion. Super mediocre in all aspects, lacking any sort of interesting or intriguing characters, generic plot and sometimes just horrible, repulsive animation.

Darwin's Game was my guilty pleasure in winter season and I look forward to second season if it will be even produced.
Mar 21, 2020 7:49 PM

Oct 2012
the manga is so much better.

i hope if it gets a season 2 which idk why you show the next arc prev that they work on it.
Mar 21, 2020 10:19 PM

Apr 2018
Well, though this anime had many flaws, I still enjoyed it nonetheless
Mar 21, 2020 11:32 PM
Mar 2011
Well, it seems they decided to leave it open-ended, but somehow failed in making to make it feel like the end.

Also like many I didn't like the characters, they were all cliche characters, that in other anime would never be main characters.

The story didn't make any sense, it feels incomplete. As though the author got too lazy and decided to not explain anything about the world. Really bad decision to end it like that.

There were no likeable characters. Actually I disliked all the characters. And from the point of view of the storytelling it was weak.

So, for me it was 3/10. I'm disappointed.
Mar 22, 2020 5:59 AM
Nov 2019
Well that was a decent show, nothing too special but atleast enjoyable.
6/10
Mar 22, 2020 7:46 AM
Jun 2019
I actually truly enjoyed this show and thought it was very entertaining. Most folks who didn't enjoy it felt this way for one or more these reasons:
~ lacks logical consistency
~ lacks unique/relate-able characters
~ female characters, despite being strong, are too 'one dimensional'
~ poorly written script
~ too 'edgy' (whatever that means; calling a show with violence 'edgy' thus = bad is such a cop-out argument imo)

To address each line item:
1. No logical continuity - It's a fictional show so this is basically a non-issue. Most fictional stories aren't entirely logical i.e., any and all superhero comics and cartoons. I can easily break down the logical discontinuities in any anime or manga ... but its LITERALLY a CARTOON so why the heck would I do that ...

2. Generic characters who lack personality. I definitely can lend some credence to this point . On the other hand, I think too many critics ALWAYS want characters to be 'relate-able' and/or 'fallible'. Sooo many people desperately want to associate with protagonists that have similar personality traits and I honestly don't know why. It could be for personal validation but its almost self aggrandizing and insecure to me. I personally like characters who are really bad ass compared to myself, calm, cool, collected, and capable of quickly adapting to insane situations. Yes, the main characters are kind of cheesy at times but the supporting characters really steal the show [example: Hiiragi Ichirou aka 'the florist', who literally uses his sigil to keep hiss heart pumping blood - that was so awesome and clever to me.]

3. Female characters - this also kind of ties into what was mentioned above but I really don't feel like those characters are given enough credit. Sure, their backstories are never really explained but:
A. Shuka Karino ~ she is so strong and deadly yet cute. I also have a huge weakness for romance for the sake of romance because I really do believe in 'love at first sight'. So having a long drawn out emotional explanation about love interests between characters isnt really necessary, for again ... A CARTOON.
B. Rein Kashiwagi [aka 'the information broker'] ~ talk about a character who makes extremely logical decisions in the face completely asinine impossible situations. Shes courageous and composed at all times despite only being 13. I don't understand why people overlook this character; particularly those who say 'ThIs ShOw iS tRaSH Bc It ISnT rEalistic' - Her decision making is both highly clever and very realistic considering the absurd circumstances in the story.

4. Cheesy dialogue ~ yes I agree with this 100%... but again this is literally an f'ing CARTOON. Not a Pulitzer Prize winning piece of literature or something.

5. Too Edgy ~ finally, 'edgy' ... I hate this term. Maybe people are just too sensitive to gore and gratuitous violence? Maybe people think its for 'shock value' only to distract the viewer from micro-analyzing every detail and inconsistency in the plot? Okay, I enjoy Quentin Tarantino movies very much despite the absurdity and excessive violence, I like the Matrix even though it often doesn't make sense. I LOVE Elfen Lied, I thought Mira Nikki was amazing. I love 'Battle Royale'. 'Btooom' was honestly not very good at all. GANTZ had a lot of violence but also wasn't very good (actually I hated GANTZ for a laundry list of reason).

Basically, just because something is gory, controversial, or 'edgy', doesn't automatically make it a good/bad story and doesn't mean its 'trying too hard' in my book.

Give me ANY manga, anime, comic book, fictional book, or cartoon with a cool (even seemingly absurd) concept, some protagonist(s) I can admire and aspire to be like, little bit of comedy, awesome fighting, romance, and I am a happy camper. If I want to be bored I can read a psychology textbook, Atlas Shrugged or watch a civil war documentary lol.
Mar 22, 2020 8:11 AM
Mar 2011
So it was supposed to be edgy? Never would have described it as edgy. I thought that edginess was the ability of the show to make the viewer feel certain emotions such as fear, terror, and so on. I would rather say it's not edgy enough. It shows what's supposed to look like gore, but I don't think it did anything to anyone. Also edginess can sometimes be expressed in camera motion, uses of colors, music.., but here also, this show didn't really succeed.

Was was truly a bizarre decision, is to introduce lots of new "important" characters near the end, and then just not do anything with them. Examples are the masked woman and the game master... We didn't see their development, backstory, what they're supposed to do, and their resolution at the end of the story... They just appeared, and then... the end.
Mar 22, 2020 8:53 AM
Jun 2019
Yes, that is at least my understanding (or rather that is what many critics say: 'its trying wayyy too hard to be 'edgy'). I do think you are completely correct in terms of the word 'edgy' evoking certain emotions like fear/terror but I think people also associate the term with provocative, unusual, avant garde, etc. I may be misinterpreting the term but I've just seen many critics describe it this way (if u google: "darwin's game edgy", you'll see quite a bit of this same criticism).

I 100% agree with you in terms of the characters near the end of the show. I think this was a major shortcoming, I feel like the reasons behind this could be:

A. Possibly a (half-hearted) attempt to adhere to the timeline of the source material?
B. Maybe a budget issue or something and they overestimated the amount of the story they could fit into 11 episodes?
C. A poor attempt at a cliffhanger-type-thingy to secure funding for a season 2 or something?

I am really not sure to be honest ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But I definitely also felt this same way about the masked girl, game master, etc. ~ seemed very rushed ~ still.... it makes me want to read the Manga to find out because I want clarification on some of these loopholes as well.
Mar 22, 2020 8:57 AM

Jan 2016
Well, this show happened. It wasn't anything special. There was no logic in the show, but the fight scenes were pretty okay. I love how they just stand and listen to what the MC says and then die later without doing anything. Characters were bad, but the one I hate the most is Shuka. She's so annoying, she's like a bad clone of Yuno Gasai. Overall, it's very generic. I'll give it a light 5/10
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Darwin's Game Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 10, 2020

122 by pe3plo »»
Apr 10, 6:15 AM

» Why no season 2?

kisaragi_eki - Dec 2, 2023

34 by Lolbot »»
Apr 7, 6:09 PM

Poll: » Darwin's Game Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2020

59 by elisaalborne »»
Dec 4, 2023 12:33 AM

Poll: » Darwin's Game Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 3, 2020

336 by Serjiotv »»
Nov 28, 2023 2:38 PM

Poll: » Darwin's Game Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 24, 2020

110 by Davidortizu »»
Nov 8, 2023 10:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.