Forum Settings
Forums

Anime that started out with potential only to be a disappointment.

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Feb 19, 2020 2:55 PM

Mar 2016
One of the front-runners in this category is easily Rising of the Shield Hero for me. To this day I do not understand why people love this show so much when there are so many things wrong here. I hid the wall of text behind a spoiler.

tl;dr version: Shield Hero began with a bit of potential but in the end...it absolutely sucked.
Rescue22Feb 19, 2020 3:01 PM
Feb 19, 2020 4:14 PM

Aug 2017
Babylon - Started out REALLY great, until they went to the U.S. and started focusing on President Wood.

Beastars - The final few episodes were absolutely stupid with the lion mob. Went from good to senseless.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventures: Golden Wind - It went downhill after the identity of the boss is discovered. Because the cast wasn't as cool as the previous seasons with Jojo, it felt like a knockoff of Stardust Crusaders with a weaker crew fighting a cheap Dio impersonator. (Still liked Buccarati, tho.).

The Latest Godzilla Anime Films - First two were passable, but the third was just pure boredom and psychological diarrhea.

Tensura - Started off well, but just brought in too many characters, and got a bit shallow as the show went on. Plus things just happened so quickly with no build up, you couldn't get invested later on.

Kobayashi's Dragon Maid - Started off great, but went downhill hard once Kanna was introduced. It went from a quicky, kinda cynical comedy to a moe blob, focusing way too much on her.

Log Horizon - I really loved this anime. I really did. But, for some reason, in the second season, they took the focus off of the main crew, and focused it on the kids. I totally lost interest and haven't watched it since.

Tokyo Ghoul - Everybody knows what happened here.

Ballroom e Youkoso - Also started off great, up until they introduced Chinatsu. She was as irritating as Sakura Haruno. Should've kept Sengoku as Tatara's coach and Mako as his partner.

Darling in the Franx - Started off intriguing and then just devolved into your typical Trigger ending, and while I usually like that, I didn't even like the cast outside of Zero-Two, so I didn't care much.

World Trigger - It was epic, until the arc with Xeno and Lilith. It took too long for things to progress and ended up getting canceled, but they're bringing it back, so hopefully they learned their lesson.

Feb 19, 2020 4:26 PM

Oct 2019
sword art online- it sort of had an interesting start but just how they showed the world just became eh for me.
o maiden in your savage season- it really had a good start with the comedy but it went to shit when they added random drama
guilty crown- it had potential but the storyline became slowly more confusing and it was sometimes completely hard to follow
★* 𝓡𝓲𝓼𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓚𝓹𝓸𝓹 𝓼𝓽𝓪𝓻 *★
. . . . * * . . . . . .

Feb 19, 2020 4:34 PM

Jul 2014
https://myanimelist.net/anime/39523/Choujin_Koukousei-tachi_wa_Isekai_demo_Yoyuu_de_Ikinuku_you_desu

the premise seemed interesting, thought it'd sorta be like dr stone, and while some episodes did pique my interest, overall it was pretty lame and had alot of stupid ecchi stuff that detracted from the story, especially that one ep that put the story on hold to have a stupid massage day thing for like 1/3 of the ep.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Feb 20, 2020 3:54 AM
Jul 2018
kotoura-san,first 10 minute were fucking good but then it turned shit.
Feb 23, 2020 11:09 AM
Dec 2015
-Sword art online, the premise is really very interesting when it can out but it was butchered by lots of annoying cliche, bad mc, and the premise only lastly for 12 or 13 episodes it could been more epic but nuh nuh nuh.

Feb 23, 2020 11:38 AM

Nov 2019
I will mention some of the anime I have seen recently:

That Time I was Reincarnated as A Slime (Great first half, falls in quality and plot coherence at second half)

Kemono Michi (From writer of Konosuba; anime totally becomes boring and repetitive after first 3-4 episodes)

Sword Art Online (Great premiere episode, falls after 2-3 episodes, and enters rock-bottom halfway thru 2nd season)

Fairy Gone (It was great until the actual anime aired)

Wait a minute, they are almost all isekai😟

Love, Chunnibyou and Other Delusions (DID NOT REQUIRE A SEASON 2)

Dororo (A bit harsh here, but narrative excellence turned into mediocrity at the tail of the season)

Cop Craft (Great world design, intriguing main leads; but bad pacing and poor animation would make you give up halfway)

No Game No Life (was expecting great mind wrecking games to come after episode 6; ended with a shootout and a COIN TOSS. Movie was great tho)

Re: Creators (bringing in various types of heroes from different genres of anime - how could it go wrong? By being absolutely boring, of course. Best episode was a recap episode!)
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
Feb 23, 2020 1:30 PM

Oct 2019
That Time I got reincarnated as a slime- good start that I could get invested in, but then in the last 5-7 episodes it just turned into mush.

Kimetsu No Yaiba- I REALLY liked the begging first 10 minutes of the series. I was invested in the characters and I liked the plot so far......then Nezuko was a demon. it went downhill from there.

Boku no Hero Academia- I liked the idea of a superhero world. I much liked the main protagonist and his ideology to become a hero despite not having a quirk. He's like, "All might-san~! can I become a hero without a quirk? uwu." and all might said "Of course Midoriya my boy! But here's this mega op quirk, by the way! >w<!" yeah that pretty much sums it up.

Deadmans Wonderland- VERY strong first few episodes. Although there were some inconsistencies its still well produced. then the last few episodes happened....yeah we don't talk about that.

Those are all the ones I can think of off the top of my head.
Feb 23, 2020 1:53 PM

Dec 2008
My number one that meets this description: Pokemon Best Wishes, the Black and White era show. It started out with such promise. We were going to have Iris, toughest gym leader in one of the new games, with a major role, and a more involved in their evil organization Team Rocket. Instead we get Iris just messing around, an episode much later about how the traditional school system failed her despite her potential, figures, and less and less of Team Rocket replaced with boring episodes like the endless tournaments. The series had some moments, then eventually Episode N which was cool, but overall a disappointment.

There were some eventful episodes stalled and eventually never aired due to the 2011 tsunami. No judging anyone involved for them being cut, especially since I haven't seen them. They had their reasons and much bigger things going on besides. We'll probably never know what was in the cut episodes or if it could have made a difference so I judge the series as is.
Feb 23, 2020 1:54 PM

Sep 2017
I don't really think its fair to say that Stars Align deserves to be on here considering it hasn't even gotten the second half that explains everything.

But as for shows that really went downhill:

SAO (for me, like right after asuna and kirito got timeskip married)

Fire Force (bro the concept was So Cool but they couldnt handle it)

Kirakira precure a la mode (as soon as Elissio and the car guy get introduced i just... did not care about the fight scenes i was just slogging thru episodes)

kuroshitsuji anime. (1st season til like ep15 is fine, even the filler is fine but after that and the 2nd season.....holy shit why)
Feb 23, 2020 2:35 PM

Apr 2018
Btooom! easily. The animation and OST are both unbelievably amazing, but the characters and plot are shit.
Feb 26, 2020 6:43 PM
Sep 2019
Charlotte, as I've mentioned before here, I love for it's concept and characters. So much potential that was botched by a rush and unsatisfying ending. Same goes for Death Note.
Ya boy is going to Con Alt Delete 2020! See you there!

Feb 26, 2020 7:04 PM

May 2019
I think SAO was pretty decent to begin with, then it rapidly dissolved into shit.

Other shows:
- Tokyo Ghoul
- Erased
- Darling in the FranXX
- Charlotte
- Deadman Wonderland
- Dr. Stone
yo
Feb 26, 2020 7:17 PM

Dec 2018
HxH 2011 - The arcs up to and including York new city (the arcs covered in original HxH), were pretty decent and had my interest. Greed Island and the Chimera Ant arcs were absolute jokes though, and made me lose interest in the series.

Guilty Crown - The first episode put off a pretty good atmosphere with amazing art (looking past main female wearing a stripper outfit for combat, but hey, its anime) and music, and potential for an okay story. But then we got Guilty Crown instead.

FoxFire75 said:
Elfen Lied for me, loved the first 5 minutes, went downhill from there imo.

Gangsta maybe too, seemed to go nowhere in the end.

Babylon, most recent disappointment; first half was great tho.

There might have been more but these are all I can think of rn.

How did it go downhill for you? It's mindlessly provocative trash from start to finish. if Elfen Lied is anything, it's consistent in it's atmosphere and attempt to throw as much nudity, gore and sadism at the viewer as possible.
Lolicons are scum.
BABYMETAL is more metal than Metallica.
Naruto is objectively the best anime ever.
HxH 99' is decent. HxH 11' is bad.
Feb 26, 2020 7:20 PM

May 2016
I didn't post in this thread? Huh. Weird.

The obvious answer is Scrapped Princess. Starts off as a decent little fantasy anime, gets more interesting as it goes, dangles the tantalizing prospect of morphing into a space opera in front of us, snatches it away to wallow in nonsensical bullshit for the last stretch.

A complete waste.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Feb 26, 2020 7:25 PM

Jan 2015
Interesting to see a few titles keep popping up in this thread (some I completely agree with)
Feb 26, 2020 9:07 PM
Jul 2018
Hokage_Jason said:

FoxFire75 said:

How did it go downhill for you? It's mindlessly provocative trash from start to finish. if Elfen Lied is anything, it's consistent in it's atmosphere and attempt to throw as much nudity, gore and sadism at the viewer as possible.

You are not wrong. I love gory shows, so I thought that would be right up my alley. Great OP, great scenes during the escape...but then it morphs into kind of a highschool love triangle bore. I love my gore with a good story, that wasn't one. Imo.
Mar 1, 2020 5:18 PM
Jul 2018
This one is rather silly, and it's mostly just the concept that had potential since I was never expecting it to be anything more than a goofy kids show but...

Fighting Fodoons. As a grown-ass adult who unashamably loves kids "mons" series (not that adult-oriented ones even exist outside of Megaten and uh, Narutaru), the concept actually sounds fucking awesome. A mons series where not only are they all food-themed, but they literally WERE food and had to be cooked, with their power level and temperament depending on how they were cooked and what ingredients were used. It's batshit insane but it's a really fun concept. Like Food Wars meets Pokemon.

The problem is though... the monster designs fucking sucked. Which is kind of a big deal for a series that revolves around monster battles. The concept of food-themed monsters has so much potential but 70% of them were literally just people with food for heads. Even the ones that actually do look like monsters are really fucking boring and plain when put next to a Pokemon or a Digimon or hell even a Neopet.

I would've been fine with the generic goofy toyetic kids show it ended up being if the monsters had an ounce of creativity in them and really went to town with the concept of monsters based on food, but sadly, what could have been a unique mons series with memorable designs was squandered. Again, this is purely from a creature design potential standpoint, the quality of the show wouldn't matter either way since it's just a kids show about people cooking food and making them fight each other.
removed-userMar 1, 2020 8:22 PM
Mar 1, 2020 6:23 PM

Nov 2012
Arcana Famiglia

I can't even begin to put all my disappointment into words. The concept of obtaining power from contract with tarot cards is awesome. They could have done SO MUCH with that premise. But nah it turned into some reverse harem shit show.

RuohanMar 1, 2020 6:29 PM

Mar 1, 2020 6:34 PM

Aug 2015
Goobberzz said:
Honestly I felt that way about My Hero Academia. It became so predictable in the second season and just flat out lost me.

This!
First season was great after that it became so boring with only 1 or 2 good episodes each season

And goblin slayer, first episode was super hype, the rest was boring predictable trash, i was very disappointed with that anime.
NameLessMofoMar 1, 2020 6:53 PM
Mar 1, 2020 6:49 PM

Dec 2018
Another. The first few episodes were really interesting. It ended up just being a massive gore fest.
Mar 1, 2020 6:56 PM

Oct 2019
A few... like: 7 Seeds, and Akira (please don't kill me)
7 seeds had such a good story to play with, intresting post apocaliptical world, something that made sense, right? Well they got rid of all the good stuff and gave us a poor execution with plastic characters empty on the inside. Not even the animators knew what was the story about. To summarize it: garbage.
And Akira is such a weird piece of art. I don't think I'm made for that type of anime, it doesn't have a "main" character it just shows whats happening in the world. There's a point where I didn't even knew what was happening... There's no way im watching that again
Mar 1, 2020 6:58 PM
Jul 2018
Guilty Crown, was a disappointment for me. The animation and soundtrack was outstanding, the first few episodes was decent, then it went downhill. The story was unbearable towards the end. I don't think the show even made sense because of the plot holes.
Mar 1, 2020 7:05 PM
Oct 2015
Darling in the FranXX, Babylon, Gantz, Guilty Crown, Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, The Ancient Magus' Bride, Megalo Box, Occultic;Nine, Terra Formars and Umineko: When They Cry are all disappointments in my eyes.
They had some good potentials though.
Mar 1, 2020 7:09 PM

Oct 2018
The first few episodes of Devilman: Crybaby were like a exciting and addictive drug, the middle was pretty meh and I didn't care much for the ending. I ended up rating it a 6 just fine all together I guess. My ratings are based solely on enjoyment.
Mar 1, 2020 7:20 PM

Oct 2009
Octavar said:
Best show for this that I have seen is Charlotte. Had such a good first couple of episodes only to go to shit after the halfway point.

Thanks for mentioning that, was thinking the same thing.

To add to that, Charlotte had all the potential in the world and felt like an X-men kinda Anime which got me excited. Halfway, there were too many things happening for too little episodes they had and didn't know what direction it wanted it to be. As it is, I still liked the series but would've wished it had more time and more development but anywho... still a good show, nevertheless.
Mar 1, 2020 7:31 PM

Jan 2015
theDEMYSTIFier said:
Darling in the FranXX, Babylon, Gantz, Guilty Crown,Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, The Ancient Magus' Bride, Megalo Box, Occultic;Nine, Terra Formars and Umineko: When They Cry are all disappointments in my eyes.
They had some good potentials though.

I remember Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress physically hurting with how it turned out. I watched the first episode with my friends and we were soooooo excited but alas...
Mar 1, 2020 7:40 PM

Jan 2019
Demon Slayer // Kimetsu no Yaiba

The first episode was kinda all over the place but there was one thing that I liked about it and that mislead me to think that it would at least have more clever stuff in it.

I was REALLY looking foward to seeing this show every day but after continuously watching the show I realized I was hoping for something that wouldn't happen. 1 time and that was it... Not only that but the mediocrity in its writing, Sheesh. Its the same ole anime formula used by most LOW EFFORT writers nowadays. Half Decent Story but just make sure we get some GOOD GRAPHICS because that's what people wanna see, right...?

Big Dissapointment.
Mar 2, 2020 5:28 AM

Feb 2020
i don't think we need anyone else to say tokyo ghoul but i'm saying it anyway lol

also i recently saw the devil is a part-timer and that was disappointing because i didn't find it anywhere near as funny as people made it seem. i would have watched a whole show about the characters adjusting to life in modern tokyo because that stuff was Great but instead they kept introducing more characters and random fight scenes and it got a bit messy and overloaded in my opinion
Mar 2, 2020 5:42 AM

Mar 2017
Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii Desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii Desu ka? (I found it so interesting but it went downhill towards the end. I hated last few episodes so much.)

Fukumenkei Noise (stupid heroine and awful love triangle bs killed this one)

Charlotte (it was already mentioned so many times, but I still feel like it´s still not enough)
Mar 2, 2020 5:49 AM
May 2019
for me the biggest one was Noragami. It's first 2 episodes greatly captivated me and the music the visuals the worldbuilding was on point and i thought this anime really does deserve the hype. that is until hiyori became the worst character ever and the onslaught of fanservice began. the rest slowly became mediocre all the way to the end of the second season but I will admit the last episodes of season 2 were pretty good.
Honourable mentions:
Tokyo Ghouls's first season is one of the seasons i love but the rest you already know.
Hokage_Jason said:
HxH 2011 - The arcs up to and including York new city (the arcs covered in original HxH), were pretty decent and had my interest. Greed Island and the Chimera Ant arcs were absolute jokes though, and made me lose interest in the series.

Guilty Crown - The first episode put off a pretty good atmosphere with amazing art (looking past main female wearing a stripper outfit for combat, but hey, its anime) and music, and potential for an okay story. But then we got Guilty Crown instead.
FoxFire75 said:

Gangsta maybe too, seemed to go nowhere in the end.

Babylon, most recent disappointment; first half was great tho.

There might have been more but these are all I can think of rn.

are you kidding me? I mean I agree greed island was meh but boy Chimera ant is one of the best arcs in anime! just my personal opinion

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
DeadlyRavenMar 13, 2020 11:47 AM
Mar 2, 2020 10:57 AM

Dec 2018
Zealox23 said:
Hokage_Jason said:

are you kidding me? I mean I agree greed island was meh but boy Chimera ant is one of the best arcs in anime! just my personal opinion

Yeah I thought Chimera Ant arc was pretty awful. The main antagonist, Meruem, is the worst character in anime history. Literally never has there been such an obvious copy-paste of someone else's work than the cell ripoff that is Meruem, and I don't just mean their IDENTICAL physical appearance, they have almost identical personalities, backgrounds, and significance to the plot.

-Both are more or less an entirely new species compromised by absorbing cells/energy from other strong organisms around the world, the only difference being Cell was made in a laboratory and Meruem was made in an actual reproductive system.

-Both hold a contest to test their prowess shortly after reaching their potential.

-Both have subordinates that they kill and/or disrespect.

The parallels between Cell and Mureum are so countless, it's objectively true to call Murem the biggest ripoff in anime history.

(Edit: for anyone who hasn't seen dbz, the picture doesn't show it but the far left character, cell, has a needle pointed tail identical to Meruem's, far right)

Overlooking the fact that the most important character in the arc is unoriginal copy pasted garbage, the arc's plot it's self was dare I say good. But there were other issues that left me cringing too often to enjoy the plot.

-Most of the action was garbage (although this is true to the entirety of the series, if compared to something like dbz or Naruto, the fight sequences are sleep inducing.) which is an important factor for a battle shounen.

-The characters (outside of mereum who we already covered) were garbage compared to other arcs. Phantom troop, pretty cool. Zuldycks, pretty cool. Knuckle, crazy emo chick, butterfly ant who's name I forgot because he was garbage, all garbage.

-Power scaling was abrupt and out of nowhere. Don't get me wrong I'm all for over the top power scaling because it leads to some pretty awesome fights, but the power scaling in this arc was pretty bogus, and we didn't even get any cool fights out of it. Gon and Killua were a joke compared to the chimera ants at the start of the arc, and after a bad training montage against two nobodies they're magically super badass now.

-Narration overkill - By this point I was so freaking sick of listening to Killua talk in his head about how amazing Gon is and how quickly he adapts, BECAUSE IT HAPPENS EVERY TIME GON FOUGHT.

All of that's just my opinion though, except Meruem being a huge ripoff that is objectively true, and if any of that came across as angry or mean it wasn't directed at you by any means, my frustration is with the series because it left me disappointed after building my hopes.
Lolicons are scum.
Mar 2, 2020 11:34 AM
May 2019
Hokage_Jason said:
Zealox23 said:

Yeah I thought Chimera Ant arc was pretty awful. The main antagonist, Meruem, is the worst character in anime history. Literally never has there been such an obvious copy-paste of someone else's work than the cell ripoff that is Meruem, and I don't just mean their IDENTICAL physical appearance, they have almost identical personalities, backgrounds, and significance to the plot.

-Both are more or less an entirely new species compromised by absorbing cells/energy from other strong organisms around the world, the only difference being Cell was made in a laboratory and Meruem was made in an actual reproductive system.

-Both hold a contest to test their prowess shortly after reaching their potential.

The parallels between Cell and Mureum are so countless, it's objectively true to call Murem the biggest ripoff in anime history.

(Edit: for anyone who hasn't seen dbz, the picture doesn't show it but the far left character, cell, has a needle pointed tail identical to Meruem's, far right)

Overlooking the fact that the most important character in the arc is unoriginal copy pasted garbage, the arc's plot it's self was dare I say good. But there were other issues that left me cringing too often to enjoy the plot.

-Most of the action was garbage (although this is true to the entirety of the series, if compared to something like dbz or Naruto, the fight sequences are sleep inducing.) which is an important factor for a battle shounen.

-The characters (outside of mereum who we already covered) were garbage compared to other arcs. Phantom troop, pretty cool. Zuldycks, pretty cool. Knuckle, crazy emo chick, butterfly ant who's name I forgot because he was garbage, all garbage.

-Power scaling was abrupt and out of nowhere. Don't get me wrong I'm all for over the top power scaling because it leads to some pretty awesome fights, but the power scaling in this arc was pretty bogus, and we didn't even get any cool fights out of it. Gon and Killua were a joke compared to the chimera ants at the start of the arc, and after a bad training montage against two nobodies they're magically super badass now.

-Narration overkill - By this point I was so freaking sick of listening to Killua talk in his head about how amazing Gon is and how quickly he adapts, BECAUSE IT HAPPENS EVERY TIME GON FOUGHT.

All of that's just my opinion though, except Meruem being a huge ripoff that is objectively true, and if any of that came across as angry or mean it wasn't directed at you by any means, my frustration is with the series because it left me disappointed after building my hopes.
ok i dont feel offended so its okay there. Here's my opinion then:
I can see that your point about meruem is valid super valid but his appearance doesny make him a good character his personality change is what makes him a good character. At the start we are presented with a cold merciless killer who gradually and beautifully becomes a nice and good person who actually cares the change is subtle yet noticeable. We went from a merciless killing machine to someon who simply refuses to fight not even until highly provoked and just as you fall in love with the character he gets killed because of his past. A bittersweet ending but an emotional one.

Moving on the thing about the hunterxhunter is its unique style of action which is not similar to dbz and or naruto but instead is unique in its own right. I guess it has lacking/sleep inducing tendencies but the narrative with the fights is part of it's charm that did not attract you I guess. It's actually better than other shounen's actually in my opinion since a plot driven battle is way better than an adrernaline filled battle which is out of control like in dbz and naruto.

Moving on I agree the other character's were garbage but that's because thier role was to be an obstacle in the weaker good guys path it would essentialy be the wrong choice to make the characters who are literally obstacles likeable because it would have taken away the charm from mureum and his likeablity.

thats because the good guys are supposed to be the underdogs and they have been the whole time. The whole power system is differnt because it consists of using your abilities creatively instead of levelling up continuously like in other shounens which ruin the fights most of the time. also they didnt get stronger they learned to wield thier abilities more masterfully and fine the gon powerup was out of nowhere but they did give reasoning and he did get messed up in the aftermath so it was somewhat justifiable.If u have a problem with the powerscaling then essentialy u have a problem with hunterxhunter's charm itself

The last part I completely agree with but I wasnt that annoyed since my annoyance pretty much filled up and died at the beggining plus the brilliance of the arc didnt let me notice much so i didnt let it get to me when it mattered.

In conclusion mureum has a good personality plus all the other points and essentially no hate directed at you its your opinion but i found it to be brilliant.
Mar 2, 2020 11:40 AM

Feb 2019
The first one to come to mind is Shinsekai Yori. It isn't a bad show by any means, but I can't help but feel that it could've been so much better, specially on the characterization front. Yeah, it has decent worldbuilding and a nice plot twist, but the plot itself is... lackluster to me.
Mar 2, 2020 12:17 PM

Sep 2014
Oh boy, nothing has ever drop as deep as Hunter x Hunter 2011 in quality. It all started up decent up until the YnC arc and then it went downhill so hard into the cliche and bullshit department.
Mar 2, 2020 12:26 PM

Dec 2012
I'm going to say Guilty Crown and Phantom: Requiem For the Phantom are top contenders here.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Mar 2, 2020 12:55 PM

Aug 2018
Rozen Maiden - even though it's supposed to be about creepy/cute living dolls in a fight to the death, most of it's runtime consisted of silly slice of life shenanigans

Higashi no Eden - With a very strong first episode I buckled up expecting a thriller/mystery/romance but what I got instead was nonsense.

Re:Creators - A story about what would happen if Anime and manga characters came into the real world...? Sounds great! Unfortunately whoever wrote the script had no idea how to tell a story even when provided with such an interesting premise.
Mar 2, 2020 4:14 PM

Dec 2018
Zealox23 said:
Hokage_Jason said:

ok i dont feel offended so its okay there. Here's my opinion then:
I can see that your point about meruem is valid super valid but his appearance doesny make him a good character his personality change is what makes him a good character. At the start we are presented with a cold merciless killer who gradually and beautifully becomes a nice and good person who actually cares the change is subtle yet noticeable. We went from a merciless killing machine to someon who simply refuses to fight not even until highly provoked and just as you fall in love with the character he gets killed because of his past. A bittersweet ending but an emotional one.

Moving on the thing about the hunterxhunter is its unique style of action which is not similar to dbz and or naruto but instead is unique in its own right. I guess it has lacking/sleep inducing tendencies but the narrative with the fights is part of it's charm that did not attract you I guess. It's actually better than other shounen's actually in my opinion since a plot driven battle is way better than an adrernaline filled battle which is out of control like in dbz and naruto.

Moving on I agree the other character's were garbage but that's because thier role was to be an obstacle in the weaker good guys path it would essentialy be the wrong choice to make the characters who are literally obstacles likeable because it would have taken away the charm from mureum and his likeablity.

thats because the good guys are supposed to be the underdogs and they have been the whole time. The whole power system is differnt because it consists of using your abilities creatively instead of levelling up continuously like in other shounens which ruin the fights most of the time. also they didnt get stronger they learned to wield thier abilities more masterfully and fine the gon powerup was out of nowhere but they did give reasoning and he did get messed up in the aftermath so it was somewhat justifiable.If u have a problem with the powerscaling then essentialy u have a problem with hunterxhunter's charm itself

The last part I completely agree with but I wasnt that annoyed since my annoyance pretty much filled up and died at the beggining plus the brilliance of the arc didnt let me notice much so i didnt let it get to me when it mattered.

In conclusion mureum has a good personality plus all the other points and essentially no hate directed at you its your opinion but i found it to be brilliant.

But how is HxH's action more plot driven than DBZ or Naruto?

I would argue that HxH's action and DBZ's action are two of the least plot driven battle shounens out there, with the York New City being the most plot driven artion in either two series, and it never even got closure because the Phantom Troop never got a final arc (in the anime) and we never learned their/chrollos' motives.

The Chimera ant arc's action isn't any more plot driven than anything in DBZ. Bad guy wants world domination (for no motive other than world domination), good guys fight them to stop it. That is the full extent of how the action ties into the plot for pretty much any given arc in DBZ or HxH, any exceptions can be simply summed up as training arcs with literally no plot. Buu, Cell, Freiza, Mereum, Mad Bomber dude from hxh, Hisoka, all antagonists who kill for literally no reason.

One Piece and Naruto I would argue the action has far more plot significance. In these two examples there isn't always a good or bad side, often both sides have been wronged and seek justification. They explore the fact that different people have different perspectives which can lead to different values of right and wrong. Characters have background history and motives for their actions which lead to conflict (a lot of the time, I'm not gonna try claiming every arc has relevant plot, but a majority do, especially narrowing it down to cannon arcs). It isn't always just presenting you with a "good vs bad" scenario with characters lacking motives, which is 100% true to a vast majority of DBZ and HxH. It gives you action/characters that actually tie into the shows history, or the shows politics.

Lot less to say on this subject but I also disagree that Mereum's character development was good or that it made him a well written character. You have a born sadist who wants to develop into the strongest and smartest being in the world. Someone willing to kill his own subordinates on a whim. Someone who killed his creator/mother as his first action in life. And his reaction to being beaten in a game by a physically feeble human, is a minor insight into the realm of morality and falling in love with her?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!

LOL no. His character would of ripped her head off the second he realized he couldn't beat her, the way he almost ripped off catboy's head for speaking to him in a way he didn't like.
Hokage_JasonMar 2, 2020 4:18 PM
Lolicons are scum.
Mar 2, 2020 4:33 PM
Feb 2020
Gangsta, darling in the franxx,.... boruto really bums me out.

The manga for boruto is actually pretty decent but the show has no interest in making any good arcs.
Mar 2, 2020 9:54 PM

Feb 2020
Demon Slayer. Zenitsu and Inosuke and their annoying behavior killed the atmosphere for me. I couldn't bare those guys lol. I still watched all the episodes and sure it had some nice moments, but those two.. Grr
Mar 2, 2020 10:05 PM

Sep 2018
Danganronpa, Another, Angel Beats!, Death Parade
Mar 2, 2020 10:07 PM

Jan 2015
Gangsta was a real highlight for me when I watched the first couple of episodes but man was that anime plagues with problems from the get go.

The mangaka was sick and couldn't (didn't) finish the manga and then the studio behind it went bankrupt during production. It was a mess from all angles but still has a sick OP though...

@GakutoDeathGlare

Death Parade? Really? I thought that one played out accordingly in my opinion. No highs or lows but steadily crossed the finish line.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
DeadlyRavenMar 13, 2020 11:47 AM
Mar 23, 2020 4:55 AM

Jan 2020
Darwin's Game or SAO , the concept was great but it went disappointing
Хайде, хайде, хайде, това е първата зона, брато, първа зона, първа зона, добре, добре, добре, това става тук горе, отива тук горе, само спокойно, само спокойно... Ха, отдясно е, навсякъде отдясно отдясно къде е дясното ти о да добре добре добре тихо мълчаливо не успях да се съсредоточа върху това ЕХ ТЪПАК КОГАТО СИ БАВНО БАВНО ... ой е путката на моето момиче прасе куче, аз Чувствам се добре, о, мамо, *шамар*, какво е това госпожице татко-
Mar 23, 2020 8:42 AM

Feb 2020
Plastic Memories, such a great premise crushed to the ground just so that the story could focus on the romance between the two MCs... The romance in itself isn't that bad (though pretty rushed) but why did they need to build such an interesting world if they never intended to explore it in the first place ? Why did they make it look like the anime was going to explore the theme of humans become more and more emotionally attached to machines if at the end, it could've just been two humans and the result would've been the same ?
There was so much potential, and none of it has been explored correctly... That's disappointing.
Mar 23, 2020 9:48 AM

Aug 2017
Id:Invaded. I loved the first episodes, but at the end it got too confusing for me. Still really liked the show, just wished it would have gone in a different direction.

Classroom of the Elite. When I read the description I thought it'd be pretty interesting. Well, I was very wrong. Turned out to be really boring and a pain to watch.
Mar 23, 2020 10:40 AM

Jul 2019
Sword art online, Darling in the franxx, Seven Deadly Sins
Mar 23, 2020 10:50 AM
Apr 2017
Dr. Stone: first episode had a lot of potential (in concept, mainly. Art music and animation were all on the meh side) but it became an unbearable shitshow in a jiffy. No idea how it went on, goodness knows I don't want to waste my time watching garbage anymore.

Tokyo ghoul: I even read the first manga volume, I can't say it made me say "wow, so different, much better". It's still in essence a lot of potential wasted in such a poor manner. I don't even know how many seasons have come out ever since, I was tired of it after watching the second one.

Mahoutsukai no yome: loved the art and the background/lore. Pity that it was filled with whiny unlikable characters.

Araburu kisetsu blablablalongtitle: it was really good up to a certain point, then it went full stupid head-on. The complete u-turn in tone at the end was really idiotic. Still remains halfway decent but that's about it.
"The problem with defining even an aspect of your personality by something that you like, is that criticism of that product appears to you to be criticism of you personally. I find it to be a very harmful attitude, [...] you can't rationally discuss a product because you've started to define yourself by its very existence."

John Bain
Mar 24, 2020 3:16 PM

Aug 2019
fire force.

i remember watching the pv and getting SO hyped and then the op came out and i was even more hype. then i watched the 1st episode and didn't want to admit the disappointemt.

SO much potential it's just the writing. by god, this could be top tier shounen if it wasn't shitty written. for example, characters are incredibly one dimensional when they could be SO much more -like maki or arthur-, but instead people like cat girl got attention instead.

Mar 24, 2020 3:20 PM

Jan 2013
Tokyo Ghoul with the sequels ... first season was interesting but after that ... downhill.
Sep 18, 2020 2:15 PM

May 2020
the first season of tokyo ghoul and re:zero. both started out really well shot and aesthetically pleasing and i was extremely interested in both worlds and where the story would go. but over time both of them just got bland (in terms of its presentation). i felt tokyo ghoul just rushed to the end and re:zero got tonally jarring and overstayed its welcome
I said with a posed look
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Have you ever divorced your waifu? (ex-waifu)

EndlessMaria - Aug 12, 2022

40 by MeltyGutz »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Have y'all seen Rainbow?

MillerEvans23 - 36 minutes ago

4 by ToG25thBaam »»
5 minutes ago

» Things you are jealous of in anime ( 1 2 )

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

54 by Luchipher-Zen »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

64 by GoatPieceLuffy »»
28 minutes ago

» Is there an anime character who looks like you in real life?

Alpha_1_Zero - 9 hours ago

18 by Maou_heika »»
44 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.