Forum Settings
Forums

How do you feel about male rape being played for laughs in many anime?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 26, 2020 2:22 AM

Mar 2015
It makes me uncomfortable. Hentai or not. And a lot of yaoi being rapey is such a waste tbh
Jan 26, 2020 2:31 AM
May 2019
If you don't like rapey stories and humor stay away from yaoi.
Jan 26, 2020 2:32 AM

Nov 2009
I have a no-drop policy (with the exception of series I literally can't find, hence involuntary-drops), and I just voluntarily dropped my first manga due to male rape.

Gakuen Ouji attempted to play up male rape for laughs, and honestly it was just insanely creepy. I only lasted three chapters before I put the book down and added it to my "donate" pile.

Just because it's a guy doesn't mean it's okay.
Jan 26, 2020 2:35 AM

Aug 2018
Mirai said:
It makes me uncomfortable. Hentai or not. And a lot of yaoi being rapey is such a waste tbh
I never got into Yaoi because of such shit.One guy just forces his way onto the other.It is so forced and I can't get what fujos find good about it.Can we get actual romances like Given or Dokyuusei?

On the topic.I agree with OP.The clips he has shown proves his point.I haven't encountered a single male rape thou except when Donovan raped Gut's poor arse.I find rape whether male or female to be quite disgusting.Unless it have some profound impact on characters or story it shouldn't be included for any kind of shock value.
Jan 26, 2020 2:48 AM

Jul 2007
DonutSim said:
EndlessMaria said:
It was funny in Magical Girl Site because the guy deserved it for being an abusive homicidal sociopath.

I don't think anybody deserves rape...

Watch the anime in question, then defend this character.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Jan 26, 2020 3:08 AM
May 2019
EndlessMaria said:
DonutSim said:

I rage quit that anime at episode 5 when the main heroin refused to kill that evil girl I just couldn't take it anymore.
Are you talking about her brother?
I remember him being a douchebag and beating his sister up just to relax or something.
That was probably one of the most disturbing anime that I've seen.
Jan 26, 2020 3:12 AM
Feb 2019
Depends on how they play it out and if it can't be seen serious enough.
Jan 26, 2020 3:16 AM
Apr 2016
HunLepto said:
Depends on how they play it out and if it can't be seen serious enough.

If I see a 1.9m amazon forcing herself upon some average cool main-character, I will seriously enjoy his helplessness.
Re:formed
Jan 26, 2020 3:23 AM
Jul 2018
EndlessMaria said:
DonutSim said:

I'm not defending his character, I'm just saying rape as a punishment is a f*cked up mentality
Jan 26, 2020 3:26 AM

Jul 2016
sonofbatmanrp13 said:
Mirai said:
I never got into Yaoi because of such shit.One guy just forces his way onto the other.It is so forced and I can't get what fujos find good about it.Can we get actual romances like Given or Dokyuusei?

On the topic.I agree with OP.The clips he has shown proves his point.I haven't encountered a single male rape thou except when Donovan raped Gut's poor arse.I find rape whether male or female to be quite disgusting.Unless it have some profound impact on characters or story it shouldn't be included for any kind of shock value.

Yeah it´s freaking disgusting,even when they play it up for laughs.It just makes me a million times more uncomfortable when they play it for laughs,rather than playing it straight for shock value.Like i already feel enough discomfort from the inclusion of rape(moreso in anime than in manga),how do you think i will feel if the anime makes it humorous?I´m glad rape-free BL like Given and doukyuusei exist(btw i don´t mind the inclusion of rape since it´s pretty prevalent in yaoi as long as it´s not played up as humour).Well Given in the manga...
SummerynJan 26, 2020 3:29 AM
Jan 26, 2020 3:26 AM

Dec 2019
Rape just should not be used as a joke period, it's a very serious issue and should not be fetishised either.
Jan 26, 2020 4:33 AM

Oct 2010

What the fuck is that last video, for a little while I thought there was a cursed version of Revue Starlight.
Jan 26, 2020 4:40 AM

Jan 2010

Whoa, talk about cringe. I guess I get you now OP. It's unfortunate but I guess many male weebs actually love such thing (which is fine by me, to each their own).
Jan 26, 2020 5:38 AM

Mar 2008
MySweetLucifer said:
I don't know why Yaoi is brought up again. There is a difference between a real rape which is a crime and erotic RP. I never seen/read a Yaoi in which the uke didn't enjoyed that forceful sexual behaviour towards him.

If there is no sign of consent (excluding things like a character's thoughts assuming neither is a mind reader) it's still sexual assault even if a sexual assaulter got lucky and the other person wound up liking it but still showing passive or active resistance. Though it would unlikely go to court for that due to lack of their testifying against the assaulter. Roleplay on the other hand is something where the act is mutually understood to be going to take place and agreed on.
Jan 26, 2020 5:42 AM

Mar 2018
The idea of male rape is funny in itself, so there's no meaningful disctintion between it being done for comedy or drama.
poop
Jan 26, 2020 6:15 AM
Nov 2018
Well, if he doesn't nose bleed, then they're just bullying the guy and I'd feel bad. Actually, whether he feels good or not, it's just bad cuz those actions can influence others. And of course, they'd be really problematic even though they ain't these alpha folks.

Edited: @MySweetLucilfer Come on, you are the one that started calling me names, when I'm joking with my friend. And heck, I didn't even interact with you once at that time. But doesn't matter, now these people know somewhat about you anyway. (Your saltiness) And that's enough. So, you can yell whatever your things at the clouds if you want to.

@Missaliensan you gotta know the whole story first before you doing your equality things.
Yasuhiro-Jan 26, 2020 10:17 PM

"Self respect is the greatest gift we can give to our self"

Jan 26, 2020 6:24 AM

Jul 2016
MySweetLucifer said:
Yasuhiro- said:
Well, if he doesn't nose bleed, then they're just bullying the guy and I'd feel bad.

Said the guy who bullied me in that "Where would you take the user above you on a date"-thread for an hour, called me "mentally ill" and a "sociopath". I really felt horrible after that and had the greatest stomach ache since a year.

I don't really go out of my way to call people names like that,but I'd feel bad too seeing the guy get bullied and pushed around like that.It makes the whole thing less funny when you see the guy cry for help and show a clear disdain for what he's going to get into.
Jan 26, 2020 6:30 AM

Jul 2016
MySweetLucifer said:
Missaliensan said:

I don't really go out of my way to call people names like that,but I'd feel bad too seeing the guy get bullied and pushed around like that.It makes the whole thing less funny when you see the guy cry for help and show a clear disdain for what he's going to get into.

What does that have to do with that Yasuhiro- guy bulliying me in that thread for no reason?

It's related to what Yasuhiro said beforehand about feeling bad for the guy being raped since he would just be bullied at that point.I just included that line in the beginning because i wanted to make it clear that i'm not a bully,and a hypocrite would be the last thing I want to be.
SummerynJan 26, 2020 6:35 AM
Jan 26, 2020 6:44 AM

Oct 2008
I hadn't realised that a male anime character being raped was funny. Personally I don't care unless the male in question is a trap, a bishounen or shota. If a pretty character is being raped than the anime is automatically good and I wish more anime like it would be made. If the character being raped regardless of gender is unattractive than I don't care. I appreciate the action taking place, but if it involves a character I don't care about than its nothing special.
Jan 26, 2020 6:46 AM

Jul 2016
Yasuhiro- said:

Edited: @MySweetLucilfer Come on, you are the one that started calling me names, when I'm joking with my friend. And heck, I didn't even interact with you once at that time. But doesn't matter, now these people know somewhat about you anyway. And that's enough.

@Missaliensan you gotta know the whole story. :)

I didn't even mention your name.I just said that i didn't want to be a hypocrite,it's understandable how you might have thought it was targeted at you but it was not.I only mentioned it when i was bringing up your feelings about seeing guys getting raped in anime which i agreed with.
Jan 26, 2020 7:01 AM

Feb 2019
If a person doesn't get called out for it it's never okay. Scratch that rape isn't okay. It makes me not like the person or their relationship with the person they raped even if they do end up being forgiven.

N͓̽o͓̽ ͓̽J͓̽u͓̽s͓̽t͓̽i͓̽c͓̽e͓̽.͓̽ ͓̽N͓̽o͓̽ ͓̽P͓̽e͓̽a͓̽c͓̽e͓̽.͓̽

Jan 26, 2020 9:59 AM
Jul 2018
juiccbox said:
MeisterDM said:

Female rape victims have it way worse and there are way more female rape victims.

Oh yeah, I know. Women definitely are attacked more often ...

OT: That's a huge misbelief, they aren't. But way less guys accuse their attacker, because they are even more ashamed than woman and in many cases, even the police officers laugh at them. Especially when they their attacker is a woman, which is actually rare tho. If their attacker is a man, the victims fear they could get very homophobic comments from the police.
Either way, men even have it worse than women and it's actually pretty bad for them too.
The darker number is very high there. I know that from social workers and psychologists, who often have male victims that were raped / assaulted sexually, often many years ago or in their childhood, but never went to the police.
Then they come to them, because of drug or alcohol problems etc., but the true reason why they are addicted or have other problems, lies there.
The dark number seems to be very high there.
/OT

Mirai said:

Wtf do you guys watch or read all the time? I mean I've seen in it a lot in older manga I often don't remember the titles, but it really became much better today.
Except Kllling Stalling, I started reading a while ago and it's really not meant as romantic. It's really meant as a psychological thriller so far I could tell, but I'm so creeped out by the women, who think it's sexy and romantic...
removed-userJan 26, 2020 10:11 AM
Jan 26, 2020 12:00 PM

Sep 2018
Maneki-Mew said:
juiccbox said:

Oh yeah, I know. Women definitely are attacked more often ...

OT: That's a huge misbelief, they aren't. But way less guys accuse their attacker, because they are even more ashamed than woman and in many cases, even the police officers laugh at them. Especially when they their attacker is a woman, which is actually rare tho. If their attacker is a man, the victims fear they could get very homophobic comments from the police.
Either way, men even have it worse than women and it's actually pretty bad for them too.
The darker number is very high there. I know that from social workers and psychologists, who often have male victims that were raped / assaulted sexually, often many years ago or in their childhood, but never went to the police.
Then they come to them, because of drug or alcohol problems etc., but the true reason why they are addicted or have other problems, lies there.
/OT

Mirai said:

Wtf do you guys watch or read all the time? I mean I've seen in it a lot in older manga I often don't remember the titles, but it really became much better today.
Except Kllling Stalling, I started reading a while ago and it's really not meant as romantic. It's really meant as a psychological thriller so far I could tell, but I'm so creeped out by the women, who think it's sexy and romantic...

Another thing that sucks is that male rape victims aren’t often believed/helped. I think there was supposed to be a center in Canada to help male rape victims and it was faced with a lot of backlash. Forgot to put that in mind, thanks for reminding me.
Jan 26, 2020 12:10 PM

Oct 2013
Hell have you been watching? That's rarely a scenario I ever see pop up in the anime I watch.
If anything that's been a lot more likely to happen in the western cartoons I watch.
Jan 26, 2020 12:11 PM

Jul 2016
juiccbox said:
Maneki-Mew said:

/OT

Another thing that sucks is that male rape victims aren’t often believed/helped. I think there was supposed to be a center in Canada to help male rape victims and it was faced with a lot of backlash. Forgot to put that in mind, thanks for reminding me.

It's so sad because it's basically either getting shamed because of gender roles when getting raped by a woman or coming face to face with a homophobic asshole if it 's by a guy,it doesn't matter the gender,they are going to face embarassment and humiliation regardless.
Jan 26, 2020 3:14 PM
Jul 2018
FoxFire75 said:
This has to be thoroughly investigated...gonna watch all the mentioned shows and will get back to you.

On a serious note, I don't really care. If anything, it's an interesting deviation.

This is why you are my friend.

Maybe I'm just insensitive and disgusting, but I honestly(normally) do not care who is getting raped and for what reason in a fictional medium.
Jan 26, 2020 3:39 PM

Mar 2015
There is Happy Sugar Life where a dude is raped by a woman and is traumatised by it. It took it pretty seriously compared to other shows.

I agree that it's not taken as seriously.
woah there
Jan 26, 2020 4:30 PM

Jul 2019
In Japan and other foreign countries, men are seen as stronger and women as supporters. So in Japan where anime is made, of course, they would laugh off a male rape victim. But I guessed I never really minded but now that someone has said it, I guess it does piss me off because it's 2020 and we should be yearning for gender equality. True gender equality like Kazuma but I don't think rape should be laughed off with any gender.
Jan 26, 2020 4:30 PM

Jul 2019
Ehta said:
There is Happy Sugar Life where a dude is raped by a woman and is traumatised by it. It took it pretty seriously compared to other shows.

I agree that it's not taken as seriously.

I deadass forgot about that scene but I agree, it should be taken seriously
Jan 26, 2020 6:25 PM

Mar 2012
Forcing anyone to engage in sexual activities is never okay.
However, in Harem or Ecchi stuff like that are not supposed to be taken seriously. (It's fictional anyway) You should know very well what you're about to watch. If you choose to watch Harem and Ecchi you're the only one to blame. I personally don't find it entertaining in any way but some people do and I couldn't give a single flying fuck about it. People are into weird shit you know and it's fine as long as they can differentiate fiction from reality.
物事は良くなりますか ? 
Jan 26, 2020 7:56 PM

Jan 2020
Biological differences between men & women explain the different reactions toward rape.
Female on male rape will always be taken less serioulsy because of the different power imbalance compared to male on female rape.
Also the fact that females lack penises make it complicated because to some people "rape" means only unwanted penetrative sex.

When it comes to male on male rape, it's laughed off because of homophobia.
If you're talking about yaoi/bl, it's a different thing; it's just a rape/forced sex fetish/kink a lot of female readers have. It's not supposed to be funny; it's sexy.
So there's a nuance there.
Jan 26, 2020 8:01 PM

Jul 2007
Xstasy said:
I rage quit that anime at episode 5 when the main heroin refused to kill that evil girl I just couldn't take it anymore.
Are you talking about her brother?
I remember him being a douchebag and beating his sister up just to relax or something.
That was probably one of the most disturbing anime that I've seen.

☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Jan 26, 2020 8:45 PM
Jul 2018
Savasvania said:

This is why you are my friend.

Maybe I'm just insensitive and disgusting, but I honestly(normally) do not care who is getting raped and for what reason in a fictional medium.

It's fine, we can be insensitive and disgusting together. What else is new.
Jan 26, 2020 9:39 PM
Jul 2018
Keysers said:
You must be referring to some hentai rape fantasies or something cause I've never seen this.

Theres one in the Monogatari series btw, when Kanbaru molests Arargai behind some covers when he comes over to clean up the place. cant remember episode but its the one where she gets caught naked around the house by her grandma.
Jan 26, 2020 10:22 PM

Jan 2016
TechniqueXV said:
Keysers said:
You must be referring to some hentai rape fantasies or something cause I've never seen this.

Theres one in the Monogatari series btw, when Kanbaru molests Arargai behind some covers when he comes over to clean up the place. cant remember episode but its the one where she gets caught naked around the house by her grandma.

I'm confused whats the double standard there? Araragi literally molests Mayoi every chance he gets and the show uses it as comedy. Honestly I wouldn't let something from an anime bother you to the point where your pissed. The comedy of people getting molested/rape is for both genders across anime and if you don't feel comfortable watching it then don't watch it.
Jan 26, 2020 10:23 PM

Jan 2017
So this gonna be a hot take but

Men can't be raped by a chick, i'm sorry but it's true.

Men on men though that's a different story and is something serious.
Jan 26, 2020 10:49 PM

Oct 2019
MichaelJackson said:
That´s your fault for watching yaoi, lol. don´t drop the soap.

this made me cry. thank you for making my day XD
Jan 26, 2020 11:59 PM

Dec 2018
if ur talking bout some gay shit for a quick few laughs like on golden kamuy, thought that was pretty funny. Now if you're talking about actual rape, uhhhh thats kinds wierd whatt are you watching
Jan 27, 2020 12:01 AM

Jul 2012
I dislike physical and sexual abuse for men and women. It only works when it's for the story - MC having traumatic backstory for example. If it is used as comedy or fanservice, it throws me off.
Jan 27, 2020 12:09 AM

Nov 2016
Which man wouldn't like pervert beautiful female who wants to be fucked by him ? + rapes of female are in much more aggressive way and much more often in animes than opposite side. And haven't seen many rapes of male by female in animes don't know which ones are you watching (guess H) but ok :D (to theme rape male by male if I see any aspect of yaoi genre I instantly quit it so no opinion for that)
Jan 27, 2020 12:36 AM

Nov 2019
DonutSim said:
MrAwesome2018 said:
''in many anime?''

What Anime are you referring to, OP?

There are some scenes that show what I'm referring to:

https://youtu.be/y-uVOSeWLHE

https://youtu.be/oZlnVAEZupM

https://youtu.be/eNzNBFj3Ob4

https://youtu.be/CdprgoD4zOc

https://youtu.be/b-jvmfahz2Y

These are cringe scenes. Who laughs at them?
SAO PROGRESSIVE ANIME HYPE
Jan 27, 2020 6:29 AM

May 2009
I don't like the double standard either. Rather,
xenosys said:
It should be treated with the same levels of sensitivity that it would have been had it been the other way around
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jan 27, 2020 6:37 AM

Nov 2018
I don't know any series where a male character was raped, or I just simply don't remember even if I watched any.
It probably comes from real life, how most people say that males can't be raped, and it's something they always want regardless the situation
Jan 27, 2020 7:26 AM
Dec 2019
Cneq said:

Actually men can be raped by women. Just because she doesn't have a penis doesn't mean she can't rape and a guy an erection from it doesn't automatically mean he likes it because erections are actually involuntary.

What's next a woman can't rape a woman? Stop perpetuating stereotypes
Jan 27, 2020 7:28 AM
Sep 2019
i never seen that before, but i dont care
Jan 27, 2020 7:29 AM

Oct 2018
You can tell these people browse reddit daily.
Jan 27, 2020 8:33 AM
Jul 2018
Cneq said:

Maybe mostly not physically (but it's possible, I'm sure), but surely through emotional manipulation. "If you don't sleep with me now, I'll leave you / then you don't love me" etc until they give in.
Jan 27, 2020 8:41 AM

May 2019
Some guys fetishize it. Especially meek BEEEEEYTAHS. That's why you see them in harem anime, which are peak beta anime.

When gays harass men for humor, the joke is usually something like, "Heh, you were hoping to get laid by a chick, but it's actually a guy."
It's pretty lame and predictable humor. And that rape at the end of the clip you showed just made it really dark.
Jan 27, 2020 8:42 AM

May 2013
Maneki-Mew said:
Cneq said:

Maybe mostly not physically (but it's possible, I'm sure), but surely through emotional manipulation. "If you don't sleep with me now, I'll leave you / then you don't love me" etc until they give in.

It’s quite possible if the woman outweighs the man too. If the man is a scrawny weakling into bbws it is very possible.

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Jan 27, 2020 8:57 AM
Jul 2018
Disgusting, distasteful, poor, tastless and definitely not funny.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Guys I did it!

TsutanaiFuun - 8 hours ago

18 by Ishitateso »»
9 minutes ago

» Your Strongest and Weakest Recommendation from your Favorites

Pokitaru - 2 hours ago

11 by Zimmu »»
21 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand. ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 26

103 by Animeistaken »»
23 minutes ago

» Would you or have you watched anime with your family (1 or more members)?

ToastWithNutella - 8 hours ago

23 by Coaghim »»
42 minutes ago

» What old anime could become popular today?

W3TFT - Apr 18

23 by ColourWheel »»
58 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.