Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 11, 2020 3:07 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
killerqueen2000 said:
Tsukizono said:

"BASIC SHOUNEN CHARACTERS"??? what on earth, this show has some of the best written character arcs I've ever seen in fiction. If you think that then you literally have missed every single detail in every season.

Here's an analysis on Oikawa (Spoilers for S1-3 ofc): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6DQePdp7Po
Another vid that touches upon some aspects of hinata's character https://youtu.be/_P2QtmF9-bI

not really. Oikawa is great I agree and he made season 2 great but Hinata is one of the most basic shonen mc's. in terms of shonen Sawamura Eijun is one of the best main characters because he's written differently than the typical ones.
but then you have the actual complex characters in sports like Ashita no joe and Ping pong the animation which haikyuu and Aod can't even be compared to in terms of character writing.

Yes, thank you for mentioning Eijun! He's such a well-written character with actual character depth. I don't think Haikyuu is the most realistic sports series out there, because so many scenes are so wonderfully drawn and animated that it feels something like KnB, but with grounded game play. A lot of people would get bored with actual realistic sports anime without stylized animation, etc (Diamond no Ace, Baby Steps, Whistle, Over Drive). I know people mean realistic as in it's not over-reliant on the zone or other super powers, but if the mangaka of Haikyuu!! didn't know how to draw panels with impact, or animators didn't give love to this series, the story so far is at most, solid. Whistle! is one of the best realistic and true underdog story I know (out of not many, lol).

Anyways, what I mean to say is, why I like Haikyuu is not because of the characters, it's because there are some really inspirational moments in the series. I don't have strong attachments to any of the characters, but I find myself tearing up in season 1. But enjoyment after season 1 will probably depend on how invested you are in the characters, because while I loved season 1, my love for it dwindled in season 2. The characters do have lovable qualities, and they grow, but that's all basic things any conventional story should have. What really separates Haikyuu apart as a sports anime though, is definitely the animation. Matches are intense, and are there are some really amazing and talented animators that are brought in and/or work for this franchise. Also, you can never go wrong with Hayashi Yuuki's music, he makes some beautiful and inspirational tracks. Someone mentioned the drama, and I definitely agree that can be a hit or miss, as it's mostly a miss for me after season 1.

I actually wasn't going to post anything in this thread, but I had to agree with the Eijun comment :> Can't have people sleeping on DnA~
Jan 11, 2020 10:42 PM
Aug 2018
Comedy, character interaction, dynamism, animation and soundrack. They are all perfect.
Jan 11, 2020 10:48 PM

Jul 2012
Just had to comment that I agree with Tingy and killerqueen2000's comments about Sawamura Ejiun being one of the best sports protagonists.

Anyway, Haikyuu!! isn't overly special. It's just polished, dynamic and is inspirational. That's why it's good. Some of the characters even the MCs are a bit generic but the show is amazing overall and shows that you don't need uniqueness to become great. The opposing teams have interesting characters too which make it fun to watch.
Jan 12, 2020 12:36 AM
Nov 2019
Haikyuu is great i enjoyed it more and more with each new season but i dont think it’s the best. So whats so good about Haikyuu?
1.) Likable Characters
- i think every character in this anime is likable (especially Nishinoya and Bokuto) Even though Karasuno has a lot of opponents, they’re friends outside of the court. They all feel real with their quirky attitudes, their camaraderie, the desire to improve, encouraging words and screams of both protagonists and antagonists. This is sportsmanship at its finest! They’re all cool characters and you feel like you want to be friends with all of them.
2.) Editing
- a lot of people always say that the animation of Haikyuu is great or one of the best. In my eyes, well... it’s okay but the EDITING carries this anime. Without its editing, Haikyuu is another mediocre sports anime you’ll watch. BUT THIS... the editing is just ON POINT! I feel like Edgar Wright took a break from Hollywood and went to Japan to make a Sports Volleyball anime. It’s one of the best editing i’ve seen in anime.. (not the best. imo Satoshi Kon’s films for me deserves that award)
3.) Finally... Nishinoya
- Because~ <3

There are other better sports anime though... but this is still a blast to watch. Definitely a feel-good anime.
This is like the “The Raid” or “John Wick” in terms of having an action packed series.
You came for Volleyball? That’s what you’ll get. (Maybe more depends on you)
Some people say that this anime is predictable (sure, i correctly predicted the heck out of this anime step by step) but that doesn’t mean you will not enjoy the ride. I just feel giddy and excited all the time. Can’t remove my smile out of my face.
Haikyuu knows how to make me pumped up!
AsashiiKimi36Jan 12, 2020 1:08 AM
Jan 12, 2020 1:57 AM

Sep 2014
MASTERLYNX said:
MehmetY said:

How the hell it isn't? Only non-cliché arc of HxH is Chimera Ant arc, other arcs have so many shounen clichés. Especially episode 47.
okay so why is ep 47 generic ? Because it’s a fight episode ? And saying “only” chimera ant arc isn’t generic is dumb Considering the fact that it’s almost half of the show and how are york new and chairman election arc generic when one of them focuses on the villains and the other focuses on killua which isn’t the main character. Also HxH explores themes and ideas such as grief and depression which almost no shonen does. And also gon is probably the least generic shonen protagonist out there...

That sounds generic as fuck. But that's not all. HxH is overrated also.
Jan 12, 2020 4:24 AM

Oct 2013
It's not that good.
It's just a run of the mill sports shounen with good animation.
Jan 12, 2020 5:14 AM
Apr 2016
killerqueen2000 said:
Tsukizono said:

"BASIC SHOUNEN CHARACTERS"??? what on earth, this show has some of the best written character arcs I've ever seen in fiction. If you think that then you literally have missed every single detail in every season.

Here's an analysis on Oikawa (Spoilers for S1-3 ofc): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6DQePdp7Po
Another vid that touches upon some aspects of hinata's character https://youtu.be/_P2QtmF9-bI

not really. Oikawa is great I agree and he made season 2 great but Hinata is one of the most basic shonen mc's. in terms of shonen Sawamura Eijun is one of the best main characters because he's written differently than the typical ones.
but then you have the actual complex characters in sports like Ashita no joe and Ping pong the animation which haikyuu and Aod can't even be compared to in terms of character writing.

Haven't seen Daiya or Joe, but Ping Pong is one of my fave anime, and I'm going to say with certainty that Hinata, Oikawa, Kageyama, and Tsukishima (and even some characters that might go into spoiler territory if i point it out) don't lose to ANY ping pong character in terms of development. And they are "actual complex characters". I mean, mainly it's because of the length of the series giving it an advantage. The more prominent haikyuu characters also tend to have multiple character arcs while due to Ping Pong's length they only have one. Oikawa's character arc on hard work vs talent is literally Sakuma's arc but more developed and has a more positive outcome to it.

I don't think "generic" is a good argument. Hinata fits the narrative and the themes of the story perfectly, therefore he is a good character. I'm a manga reader so I'm biased I guess, the bulk of Hinata's development is in the current arc and nationals, and I can assure that he's extremely well-written and the payoff to his arc is done very very well. I'm not gonna go into spoiler territory but I can even argue that Haikyuu SUBVERTS typical sports anime tropes later on. What is a "typical" shounen protagonist anyway? Aside from determination, I can't think of a common trait. Hinata does have that determination and so do most protagonists, really, but he also faces consequences because of that, like in the first ep of this season. Hinata has a clear character arc that fits thematically with the story, has fleshed out motivations and relationships with other characters and faces internal struggles, his arc has a great payoff later on, so imo he's a great character.

I'd say Ping Pong is better than Haikyuu S1-3, but personally nationals elevates haikyuu to another level. I guess I can't argue with you, i'll just tell you to continue the series then you'd see how great it is later on.

Also, just saying "xxx is generic" and "xxx is worse than xxx" and not giving any reasons is not gonna convince anyone.
ireallywantcakeJan 12, 2020 5:26 AM
Jan 12, 2020 8:08 AM
Nov 2019
MehmetY said:
Esquirtit said:
Not seen this but it better move out of the top 10. We can't put ourselves to shame by letting a generic sports shounen be in the top 10, something that's supposed to represent the taste of the MAL community. Come on y'all.

Well we already have a generic shounen in the top 10 (HxH) so having a generic sport shounen in the top 10 isn't that shaming anymore.

Being generic is not a insult you know? Even if you consider HxH 2011 and BNHA generic they are two of the best shounens of all time, the same can apply to Naruto(classic) and Magi.
VitorLeiteAncapJan 12, 2020 8:13 AM
Buy Bitcoins and others cryptos(like Monero), the great crisis is coming!
Also don't forget, taxation is theft!
Jan 12, 2020 8:43 AM

Sep 2014
Actually sports anime have the charm to lure you into watching them. Team play and good aim (basically most of them are "go for nationals) are simply but soild plot since they'll met diffrent ppl (enemies/friends) who try their best to also being at top. Sports anime have also good culmitive point which is match where they prove how the improve. You cheer them, you cry with them, you banzai banzai with them. I feel similar connection to music clubs aswell where you have similar construction.
To me Haikyuu is special bcs it's about volleyball. I like this sport and enjoy watching it more than other sports, so it was my target. And Haikyuu is very well done as for direction and animation. OP/ED are very good too. And the most important: characters are loveable, you find some you hate, some you like.
I felt small downgrade in last season bcs I felt like autor tried finding special moves for them.
Jan 12, 2020 10:00 AM

Apr 2017
Rimzyy said:
ItsXolo said:
It's unironically one of the worst shows I've ever seen. Forcing myself to watch the first three seasons was a serious challenge and I think I'd rather pass a kidney stone than do it again.

You are the definition of “if I don’t like the show nobody should!” Like chill out stop watching if you don’t like it

???
He literally just said he doesn't like it?
What the actual fuck?

I mean I agree that he didn't even present some reason but still, you are the one who should chill out here.
Jan 12, 2020 10:40 AM
Aug 2018
I gave it a 10/10 and 5/5 even though Oikawa ans Aoba Johsai are not there. as a manga reader, this season will be a less interesting beginning, but then it will a be a roalcoaster all the time. the success of this show is due to the great variety of characters, the immense introspection in a realistic way and the lowkey romance involved everytime. the matches are not boring or predictable, and you can almost support everyone. preferring the main characters or the most famous ones is pretty obvious, but the less successfull ones are in the place too
Jan 12, 2020 11:05 AM
Aug 2014
Themousen said:
Hey Haikyuu!! fans, I solicit your opinion

I'm wondering, as the title suggests, what makes Haikyuu!! so great (I haven't watched it, yet)
It's the highly rated sports anime (it's currently at an impressive 9.08 and entered the dangerous top 10 area ! I hope this season won't get Chihayafuru'd) and it seems to be really appreciated by the fans

So, I won't ask you if this anime is worth watching (because it obviously is), but instead what do you like about this anime, what are its strong points ?
I've never watched a sport anime yet, but I think Haikyuu!! will be the one that'll make me discover this genre. Is it a good choice for a fresh start ? Could I end up being disappointed by the other sports anime because this one is the best of its genre ?

Don't worry about the ratings people are more likely just super excited it's back airing again as S3 was 2016.

I never bothered with any form of Sports anime til by chance came across Kuroko no Basket last year summer then a few months later Haikyuu they both changed the way I would perceive the sports genre.

Jan 12, 2020 1:12 PM

Oct 2019
EVERYTHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING
Jan 12, 2020 1:13 PM

Oct 2017
- Amazing character development. Each character just feels real, and their interactions as a team and best friends just adds to that. Every character is so good that you find yourself liking the main team's rivals and hoping they do good too.
- Beautiful animation, camera shots, flow of events during games.
- Amazing openings, endings, OST. It just captures the emotion of the game and the players.
Hey there! If you'd like to talk about anime or anything else feel free to drop a comment on my page or DM me. I'd be glad to have a conversation and make some new friends :)
My list: https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Amazinc?status=7&order=4&order2=0

Jan 12, 2020 1:36 PM

Jun 2014
i honestly dislike sports anime, it's my least favorite genre. there hasn't been one that's really reeled me in. i thought i would kuroko no basket, but i felt kinda unrealistic. which is a shame, because i like watching basketball in real life. but when i started watching haikyuu, i felt like i portrayed volleyball, or at least any sport, in the way it should be portrayed. it got me hyped and so emotional. i always cheered every character. this anime is far from perfect, i don't see it as a masterpiece (i gave each season so far a 8/10) however, the one thing that i does really well is connecting it's audience to voleyball--as if we're the ones cheering them on in the gym.

s t a t i c n o i s e

Jan 12, 2020 2:58 PM
Sep 2017
It’s a pretty hype show with extremely consistent production value and fun characters. Personally not an amazing show by any stretch of the imagination(Id give it a 7 or something) but it is a very fun watch with pretty good characters.
Jan 12, 2020 8:19 PM
Feb 2016
tingy said:

I actually wasn't going to post anything in this thread, but I had to agree with the Eijun comment :> Can't have people sleeping on DnA~

Right Eijun started off typical but he actually gains depth later on. I love his ups and downs. and yes ur right, a lot of the appeal for haikyuu is animation and the hype scenes. Aod is more of a slow burn and less about hype, but then in turn thats less appealing because it goes for the realistic route of writing. I actually loved s2 of haikyuu but s3 was overhyped in my eyes. A big part of ppl praising it so much is simply because its more appealing and more popular which isn't the case for aod.
Jan 12, 2020 8:28 PM

Jun 2014
Unlike the numerous basketball anime that tried to follow it, it's the true successor to Slam Dunk: an excellent, realistic but exciting sports drama with fantastic characters. Add to that Production IG's incredible animation and you have something nearly flawless at what it does. It's so good that it's caused a cultural shift in the popularity of volleyball in Japanese schools
TEN COMMANDMENTS:
1) If Evangelion and Psycho-Pass are his only 10s, he probably also worships Tool and smells like cheesy puffs 2) Freudian psychosis =/= good writing 3) Moe blob art style is only ok in pure slice-of-life comedy 4) It's ok to enjoy shounen. Having fun is allowed 5) It is not ok to enjoy isekai (jk, it is, I just fucking hate it) 6) Creator breakdown =/= good writing 7) A story does not have to be wrapped up with a bow. Life is messy, why would a good story need to be tidy? 8) InuYasha is proto-Twilight 9) Ecchi CAN be good, but is almost always an abomination 10) If God is real, They allowed Super Kid to happen, so fuck Them
Jan 12, 2020 8:28 PM
Feb 2016
Tsukizono said:

Haven't seen Daiya or Joe, but Ping Pong is one of my fave anime, and I'm going to say with certainty that Hinata, Oikawa, Kageyama, and Tsukishima (and even some characters that might go into spoiler territory if i point it out) don't lose to ANY ping pong character in terms of development. And they are "actual complex characters". I mean, mainly it's because of the length of the series giving it an advantage. The more prominent haikyuu characters also tend to have multiple character arcs while due to Ping Pong's length they only have one. Oikawa's character arc on hard work vs talent is literally Sakuma's arc but more developed and has a more positive outcome to it.

I don't think "generic" is a good argument. Hinata fits the narrative and the themes of the story perfectly, therefore he is a good character. I'm a manga reader so I'm biased I guess, the bulk of Hinata's development is in the current arc and nationals, and I can assure that he's extremely well-written and the payoff to his arc is done very very well. I'm not gonna go into spoiler territory but I can even argue that Haikyuu SUBVERTS typical sports anime tropes later on. What is a "typical" shounen protagonist anyway? Aside from determination, I can't think of a common trait. Hinata does have that determination and so do most protagonists, really, but he also faces consequences because of that, like in the first ep of this season. Hinata has a clear character arc that fits thematically with the story, has fleshed out motivations and relationships with other characters and faces internal struggles, his arc has a great payoff later on, so imo he's a great character.

I'd say Ping Pong is better than Haikyuu S1-3, but personally nationals elevates haikyuu to another level. I guess I can't argue with you, i'll just tell you to continue the series then you'd see how great it is later on.

Also, just saying "xxx is generic" and "xxx is worse than xxx" and not giving any reasons is not gonna convince anyone.

see thats kinda the problem. ppl praise haikyuu because its more watched and popular. most ppl haven't even seen aod or other great sports series and already crown haikyuu as the best. I would say haikyuu is definitely more hype and has better animation which is the main appeal but in terms of other aspects, its good but its more formulaic. ping pong and Joe have complex characters while haikyuu has likable but cliche characters. aod is somewhere in the middle because it has more realistic aspects than haikyuu yet the characters aren't to the point of being complex. though, the animation is more grounded as well as the character designs. then you have one of the best main characters that go through tons of ups and downs, more than most sports mcs.
Jan 13, 2020 3:20 AM

Mar 2008
Great character design, awesome character growth, exciting matches, nice comedy, animation and music. It just makes me so happy
Jan 13, 2020 3:27 AM
Apr 2019
I finally get asked the question and I realize I don't even have the answer myself...
Jan 13, 2020 4:57 AM

Mar 2017
Didn't like this anime at first when it was first airing because I hated that it was swarming with fujoshis shipping the characters (no offense though)

Years later, I tried watching it and got addicted immediately. Finished all seasons in just 1 day I think?? then I tried to catch up with the manga the next day.

I thought to myself...I should have tried this in the first place.

So yep, I can say 100% that THIS ANIME IS WELL-RECEIVED BECAUSE OF IT'S GREAT STORY + ANIMATION + CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT not because OF THE EXAGGERATED FAN GIRLS :)))

猫はかわいいです。 (ꈍ ‸ ꈍ)

Jan 13, 2020 2:27 PM

Mar 2010
LeighV1 said:
Haikyuu has one the best underdog stories I've ever watched in anything ever

I agree with this. And the upcoming episodes will be especially great. Upcoming arc will be one of my favourites.
I think this series and the upcoming arc teaches the importance of self worth, in addition to the excitement, character interactions and great animation. Looking forward to it finally animated.
Of course there are a lot more underdog story series out there but Haikyuu does this incredibly well.
Jan 14, 2020 12:52 AM

Jan 2018
I love the characters. They're so fleshed out that each have their own story and individuality that doesn't really mess up the whole pace and plot of the show. They also grow at a good pace, the same way that they just "grown" on you. I just love them!

I also just LOVE the humor. This is one of the few anime shows that made me laugh in real life while watching it. The banters are also seemingly natural and witty.

And of course, the whole premise as well of how they slowly rise to the top.
I'm not surprised it's one of the top animes because it is fun to watch. It just really is.

hell is other people
Jan 14, 2020 3:06 AM
Dec 2014
It's for kids or adults who want to be a kid.

I tried to enjoy it but there isn't anything to enjoy.
Jan 14, 2020 4:46 AM
Apr 2016
killerqueen2000 said:

see thats kinda the problem. ppl praise haikyuu because its more watched and popular. most ppl haven't even seen aod or other great sports series and already crown haikyuu as the best. I would say haikyuu is definitely more hype and has better animation which is the main appeal but in terms of other aspects, its good but its more formulaic. ping pong and Joe have complex characters while haikyuu has likable but cliche characters. aod is somewhere in the middle because it has more realistic aspects than haikyuu yet the characters aren't to the point of being complex. though, the animation is more grounded as well as the character designs. then you have one of the best main characters that go through tons of ups and downs, more than most sports mcs.

You say "complex" and "likable but cliche" again, but 1. what do you even mean by "complex"? and 2. they're not mutually exclusive. A complex character (in literary terms) is one that changes and has clear motivations that lead to the changes. By that definition, Hinata, Kageyama, Tsukishima, Oikawa, Asahi, Suga, even Washijou are all complex characters. Also, characters don't need to literally change and improve to be a good character. They just need to have fleshed out motivations for why they do something and the struggles they face, and this has to be thematically relevant to the story - by this definition every haikyuu character who has had spotlight in the series thus far has this.

The concept of a "cliched" character arc is stupid, because character arcs are largely similar anyway, it's about how they work in relation to character relationships and themes of the series. Wenge's arc is about finding a place to belong, Peco's is about freeing yourself from things like winning and losing and just having fun - all of these types of arcs are ALSO touched upon in haikyuu.
Jan 14, 2020 7:09 AM

Mar 2010
BlindSniper said:

Pretty much. As an adult in my heart I think I'll always be 15. :D Let them kids have fun while I also enjoy it.

Serious shows like Monster or Ergo Proxy never grew on me (might give them another try when i feel like i wish to watch something serious). Recent exception might be Vinland Saga because of the story pacing and flow and action elements.

If you didn't find Haikyuu fun that's just how you are. I am amazed you can suffer through many seasons of a show you don't like - that's a talent. I'd rather watch something i do enjoy if i were you.

In my opinion this series is easy to follow, i find the characters likeable and the matches pretty exciting. The element of how you are looked down upon but still staying strong to your ideals aka underdog is also there. And that's admirable to watch :)
Jan 14, 2020 8:53 AM
Dec 2014
Lylaaz said:
BlindSniper said:

Pretty much. As an adult in my heart I think I'll always be 15. :D Let them kids have fun while I also enjoy it.

Serious shows like Monster or Ergo Proxy never grew on me (might give them another try when i feel like i wish to watch something serious). Recent exception might be Vinland Saga because of the story pacing and flow and action elements.

If you didn't find Haikyuu fun that's just how you are. I am amazed you can suffer through many seasons of a show you don't like - that's a talent. I'd rather watch something i do enjoy if i were you.

In my opinion this series is easy to follow, i find the characters likeable and the matches pretty exciting. The element of how you are looked down upon but still staying strong to your ideals aka underdog is also there. And that's admirable to watch :)

Considering your dropped list and the amount of episodes you watched on them you should take your own advice.
Jan 14, 2020 9:26 AM

Jul 2019
killerqueen2000 said:
Tsukizono said:

"see thats kinda the problem. ppl praise haikyuu because its more watched and popular."

Or, or, or they praise it because it DESERVES praise for being a phenomenal story about GROWTH. Something that anyone can relate to because we all want to grow in some way.
Also, more than one series can be regarded as good. Don't reduce Haikyuu's success to simple bandwagon hype because you think ___ is better, or reduce the complexity of its characters because they are likable.

Jan 14, 2020 10:15 AM

Mar 2015
Themousen said:
Thanks for all your replies, I'm definitively gonna give this anime a try, I especially love when the characters are well written and likeable

What charms me most about the writing of the characters is how likeable even the players on rival teams turn out to be. They somehow make you care about players that aren't in the main focus of the show. So even though you're routing for the main team, you still can feel for the teams they're up against, and I think that's super cool.

"𝘋𝘰 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘢𝘭𝘸𝘢𝘺𝘴 𝘸𝘢𝘯𝘵 𝘵𝘰 𝘭𝘪𝘷𝘦 𝘩𝘪𝘥𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘣𝘦𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘮𝘢𝘴𝘬 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘱𝘶𝘵 𝘶𝘱 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘢𝘬𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘰𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘴? 𝘠𝘰𝘶’𝘳𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘶, 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦’𝘴 𝘯𝘰𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘸𝘳𝘰𝘯𝘨 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵."

Jan 14, 2020 10:31 AM
Feb 2016
_simplethoughts said:

"see thats kinda the problem. ppl praise haikyuu because its more watched and popular."

Or, or, or they praise it because it DESERVES praise for being a phenomenal story about GROWTH. Something that anyone can relate to because we all want to grow in some way.
Also, more than one series can be regarded as good. Don't reduce Haikyuu's success to simple bandwagon hype because you think ___ is better, or reduce the complexity of its characters because they are likable.

are you sure you read what I said? I literally said its a cliche but good series. GOOD. thats why I'm saying watch other series first before you crown haikyuu as king. The characters are by no means complex at all. It deserves praise but not nearly as much as ppl are making it out to be. yet most ppl still watch either haikyuu or kuroko just because they are most watched and other series just get thrown to the side for no reason. Thats the problem with anime fans in general. they mostly just follow the hype and refuse to check other things out. I have different thoughts about haikyuu than the typical haikyuu fans only because I have another perspective from the result of watching other shows and comparing them to haikyuu. the series is good but not THAT good dude.
Jan 14, 2020 1:45 PM
Jan 2020
This anime is one of the best anime's I have ever seen you won't be disappointed.
Jan 14, 2020 4:25 PM

Jul 2019
killerqueen2000 said:
_simplethoughts said:

are you sure you read what I said? I literally said its a cliche but good series. GOOD. thats why I'm saying watch other series first before you crown haikyuu as king. The characters are by no means complex at all. It deserves praise but not nearly as much as ppl are making it out to be. yet most ppl still watch either haikyuu or kuroko just because they are most watched and other series just get thrown to the side for no reason. Thats the problem with anime fans in general. they mostly just follow the hype and refuse to check other things out. I have different thoughts about haikyuu than the typical haikyuu fans only because I have another perspective from the result of watching other shows and comparing them to haikyuu. the series is good but not THAT good dude.

Clearly you didn't read what I wrote either. Haikyuu characters ARE complex AND the series deserves all the praise it gets.

Jan 15, 2020 10:04 AM

Mar 2010
BlindSniper said:
Lylaaz said:

Considering your dropped list and the amount of episodes you watched on them you should take your own advice.

But i already am taking my own advice? :D Obvious duh? lol

If this was your attempt to snap back at me for whatever reason then you failed.

Have a good day and i hope you also find something you like.
Jan 16, 2020 10:20 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Esquirtit said:
Not seen this but it better move out of the top 10. We can't put ourselves to shame by letting a generic sports shounen be in the top 10, something that's supposed to represent the taste of the MAL community. Come on y'all.

It's called sequel bias, a failing in how the collected score data doesn't reflect that it's a sequel. Generally speaking we can say that there is no such thing as a perfect anime. There will always be those who do not like something and they will score accordingly. This keeps the score "real". But obviously these same people have generally speaking less propensity to then watch the sequel. So sequels benefit from higher scores as long as they're ok. So the more sequels, the more "hardcore fans" are watching and will score their beloved show higher.

This is the reason for there being a thousand Gintama shows in the top 50 of MAL.

There's unfortunately no easy fix, unless you set up some algorithm to reflect its a sequel, but that might be unfair to a really fantastic show that is fully deserving of the high score.. One possibility would be for MAL mods to pool all consecutive seasons of a same show into one entry like for example Legend of the Galactic Heroes that has 4 seasons but they only count as one show.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 17, 2020 1:47 PM
Feb 2019
Without really getting involved in the debate about the quality of the show itself, I wanted to make a comment here that certain genres tend to score higher than others, or at least have an easier time of getting that high score.

It's definitely like that for the sports genre, and you can try to pinpoint reasons why that is -- maybe because its mainstream, easy to get into, usually fulfills viewer expectations, feels fresh to the viewer if it's a series they haven't watched before, not likely to offend viewers, etc.

Whereas on the other side of the spectrum, something like isekai usually has its work cut out for it.

I pay attention to RottenTomatoes a lot too, and children's movies are usually given higher scores on average, because the expectations are usually fulfilled (will the critic's kid like it?), have unique setting, and are generally not offensive. Might even say the standards are lower. But comedies usually don't score well, as critics get offended, or don't feel like their comedic expectations were met, etc.

So in short, what I'm trying to say that is you should always take the genre into account with the score (not the overall top 10 rank), as it's a bit of comparing apples to oranges with different genres in play. The sports genre scores well in general and is mainstream enough, while fulfilling expectations, so the score will reflect that. The bad scores that tank ratings are when the viewer feels like it was a waste of time to watch it or just outright disappointment.

Edit: Like mentioned above, sequel bias is also a major factor. People that weren't fans might score the first season poorly, but won't be back for future seasons, which have their own walled off scores. Sequel bias even help series that had bad adaptations due to a studio or budget chance, but the fans were happy just to see it renewed and in animated form even if it's an outright slideshow.
Icedude3Jan 17, 2020 1:57 PM
Jan 17, 2020 7:55 PM
Nov 2018
It has a profound realness to the characters. The protagonist works very hard to progress, and it endears him to us. Everything is a struggle, and because of that, the successes taste so sweet. And something about that intense ambition just me feel so hyped up about life.
Jan 18, 2020 10:10 AM
Jul 2019
Themousen said:
Hey Haikyuu!! fans, I solicit your opinion

I'm wondering, as the title suggests, what makes Haikyuu!! so great (I haven't watched it, yet)
It's the highly rated sports anime (it's currently at an impressive 9.08 and entered the dangerous top 10 area ! I hope this season won't get Chihayafuru'd) and it seems to be really appreciated by the fans

So, I won't ask you if this anime is worth watching (because it obviously is), but instead what do you like about this anime, what are its strong points ?
I've never watched a sport anime yet, but I think Haikyuu!! will be the one that'll make me discover this genre. Is it a good choice for a fresh start ? Could I end up being disappointed by the other sports anime because this one is the best of its genre ?

Cheers dude. So as a disclaimer, I haven't really read any of the other replies, so I apologize if I repeat a few points.

So sports anime shows tend to have similar formats, but they can usually be classified as one of three types, battle shounen types with basically superpowers, sports focused types that are attentive to gameplay and such, and finally the ones that use the sport as a backdrop for drama (Cross Game, that badminton one with the girls).

So Haikyuu is fairly in the second group, and does a great job of exploring the sport of volleyball, in my opinion. The matches, as well training, are fairly well written, detailed and interesting enough to generate excitement in people like myself who have never played volleyball. That's basically the plot approach, it follows the experiences and growth of a team, with specific focus on a few players, as they strive to get better at something they are all passionate about.

Other than that, the characters are mostly interesting and likeable, as well as showing growth in both character and skills. This also applies to antagonists as well. The team dynamics are also interesting to see.

So what have I left out ... There is also some humour, which I personally like but it is fairly subjective. Also, the production values for the series are fairly high, i.e. consistently good animation, sound, pacing. The source material is fairly high rated too.

As an additional disclaimer though, this is actually not my favourite sport anime. I like Hajime no Ippo more, baby steps is also very good, and I also really like Diamond no Ace, but I have only read the manga.
Jan 18, 2020 11:43 AM
Jul 2018
It's a fun watch. I love the characters and their interactions, the development, the atmosphere, the games, the animation, the voice acting.

One of my favorite sports series, but there are plenty others that are equally as good, perhaps even better.
Jan 20, 2020 12:03 AM

Mar 2016
ItsXolo said:
It's unironically one of the worst shows I've ever seen. Forcing myself to watch the first three seasons was a serious challenge and I think I'd rather pass a kidney stone than do it again.

And you gave Fairy Tail a 9. Yea too bad there are no chest and pants flashes in Haikyuu
Jan 20, 2020 11:04 AM
Nov 2013
I am out of the loop... What's wrong with Chiharafuyu? I'm quite enjoying this third season
Jan 20, 2020 3:16 PM

Mar 2018
Haikyuu has the qualities pretty much every shows wished they could have : consistently great art and animation, with some crazy sakuga spikes, an absolutly lovable cast with no sidelined characters, a fantastic ost, but most importantly amazing directing, it's definitly the kind of show that knows when to be ridiculously intense, and when to slow down to highlight one single moment or action.

As someone who wasn't particularily drawn to sports anime, it almost instantly became one of my favorite shows, and what I believe is really impressive is that it's aready got a really strong start, but it just keeps getting better and better with each season.

So in short, I can't recommend it enough.
Jan 20, 2020 7:31 PM
Mar 2019
sDiatog said:
I'd say if you watch it first then it would make other sports animes feel shit...I watched it first and then tried KUROKU No BASKET in 2017 and to this day i just cant get past ep 17... Maybe the reason is it is more realistic than the other sports anime..the protagonist is no way near the best players and isnt even top 3 in his own team... But he never gives up and the development of each and every character is spot on... Every character has a part to play ... You can feel the emotions of the players throughout the series....I'd say give it a watch... You will love it 😉

Get to ep 24 it's really good too..
Jan 20, 2020 7:33 PM
Mar 2019
queenbanana said:
I am out of the loop... What's wrong with Chiharafuyu? I'm quite enjoying this third season

The only thing wrong about chihayafuru is it's rating dude..😅
Jan 20, 2020 10:11 PM

Jan 2012
I'm not a hardcore fan of haikyuu and would never be.

I watched a lot of other sports anime and I tend to like the sports genre in general.

I didn't find haikyuu more special than these others anime, maybe equally interesting but not superior in any way. Everything in haikyuu I had already seen it in another show.

I passed the entirety of season 1 asking myself why it was lacking that incentive that would made me binge watching the whole thing in one sitting as it happened with other sports anime.
Retrospectively I think that should be because

1) I don't find volleyball very interesting
2) the repetitive gags scenes don't make me laugh
3) I don't find the characters especially interesting

Then something happened that made me start binge watching the rest.
I think that's when they started thinking more and planning more instead of using always the same basic tactics.
From that point onwards there were no sure way to win so they had to plan more to increase their chances of victory.

Obviously planning has its limits too when you have pratically only players with average skills so we will see what they come up with in this 4th season.

so for the strong point of the anime : strategic thinking to compensate the lack of skill and/or experience of the members of the team
Jan 21, 2020 2:33 AM

Jun 2014
Farabeuf said:
Esquirtit said:

It's called sequel bias, a failing in how the collected score data doesn't reflect that it's a sequel. Generally speaking we can say that there is no such thing as a perfect anime. There will always be those who do not like something and they will score accordingly. This keeps the score "real". But obviously these same people have generally speaking less propensity to then watch the sequel. So sequels benefit from higher scores as long as they're ok. So the more sequels, the more "hardcore fans" are watching and will score their beloved show higher.

This is the reason for there being a thousand Gintama shows in the top 50 of MAL.

There's unfortunately no easy fix, unless you set up some algorithm to reflect its a sequel, but that might be unfair to a really fantastic show that is fully deserving of the high score.. One possibility would be for MAL mods to pool all consecutive seasons of a same show into one entry like for example Legend of the Galactic Heroes that has 4 seasons but they only count as one show.

Spot on.

A generic sports shounen withan 8.90 score...Jesus wept.
Jan 21, 2020 7:28 AM
Aug 2018
what got me hooked is how well it managed to create a tense atmosphere, I've never seen anything like it
Jan 21, 2020 11:58 AM
Jul 2019
Spirasout said:
Why does everybody rate the anime if it is not even yet finished now we have unfinished shows like Haikyuu!!: To the Top on place fricking 19 with 2 episodes that the community can not even wait until it is finished is bullshit. Rate when it is finished you morons. and do not rate on expectation that ruins the rating i know Haikyuu!! is a good sports anime but atleast wait before you push it into hype heaven. Thats all of what i am going to say to the 11 thousand idiots that already rated.
Thank you very much

It is not wrong to rate an anime that is airing, the only thing to pay attention to is that you should rate based on the episodes that have already came out, and not your own expectations.
Jan 23, 2020 3:14 PM
Sep 2018
Ferien said:
kutuphayvani said:

no overpowered protagonist, no enemies... Just realism.

you sure about that? I mean boy still runs and jumps abnormally fast and high respectively lol

You should watch Nishida Yuji, one of the best volley ball players in the world. He jumps even higher than the main character in this show..
Jan 24, 2020 12:05 PM

Jan 2016
Even though the characters are very surface level. I enjoy that they are still fleshed out in some way. Even their opponents are fleshed out which I do appreciate. The first two seasons try to do this and ways succeed; but the third season is where its done perfectly. Especially the opposing team's coach. Nothing I'd say groundbreaking, it just hits what its trying to be perfectly.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Haikyuu!!: To the Top Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2020

176 by Jekkii1 »»
Apr 4, 9:04 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!!: To the Top Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2020

69 by Jekkii1 »»
Mar 23, 4:13 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!!: To the Top Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2020

94 by adbeaver »»
Feb 25, 8:59 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!!: To the Top Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2020

107 by vit_ »»
Feb 18, 3:51 PM

Poll: » Haikyuu!!: To the Top Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 14, 2020

84 by Remotepaper »»
Jan 20, 8:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.