Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 10, 2020 4:37 PM

Sep 2017
Hey Haikyuu!! fans, I solicit your opinion

I'm wondering, as the title suggests, what makes Haikyuu!! so great (I haven't watched it, yet)
It's the highly rated sports anime (it's currently at an impressive 9.08 and entered the dangerous top 10 area ! I hope this season won't get Chihayafuru'd) and it seems to be really appreciated by the fans

So, I won't ask you if this anime is worth watching (because it obviously is), but instead what do you like about this anime, what are its strong points ?
I've never watched a sport anime yet, but I think Haikyuu!! will be the one that'll make me discover this genre. Is it a good choice for a fresh start ? Could I end up being disappointed by the other sports anime because this one is the best of its genre ?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 10, 2020 4:49 PM
Nov 2018
I'd say if you watch it first then it would make other sports animes feel shit...I watched it first and then tried KUROKU No BASKET in 2017 and to this day i just cant get past ep 17... Maybe the reason is it is more realistic than the other sports anime..the protagonist is no way near the best players and isnt even top 3 in his own team... But he never gives up and the development of each and every character is spot on... Every character has a part to play ... You can feel the emotions of the players throughout the series....I'd say give it a watch... You will love it πŸ˜‰
Jan 10, 2020 4:53 PM

Aug 2018
Themousen said:

I'm wondering, as the title suggests, what makes Haikyuu!! so great (I haven't watched it, yet)
It's the highly rated sports anime (it's currently at an impressive 9.08 and entered the dangerous top 10 area ! I hope this season won't get Chihayafuru'd) and it seems to be really appreciated by the fans

So, I won't ask you if this anime is worth watching (because it obviously is), but instead what do you like about this anime, what are its strong points ?
I've never watched a sport anime yet, but I think Haikyuu!! will be the one that'll make me discover this genre. Is it a good choice for a fresh start ? Could I end up being disappointed by the other sports anime because this one is the best of its genre ?

Haikyuu!! is one of my favorite anime of all time. I never even gave a single thought to volleyball or sports anime before I watched it. I was never interested in that stuff. I watched the first like 5 minutes of the first ep and I clicked off because I thought it might not be the show for me. But boy was I wrong. You get to know almost every single character very well and truly care about them. You see them grow and you come to love the sport of volleyball. By the time I finished it I knew so much more about the sport and grew much more interested in it. When you get to the later matches, they are so intense and have crazy impactful moments that make the show so good. On the side of the “will I not like other sports anime after this?” The answer is no. I haven’t watched many other than Haikyuu, but from what I can tell most sports anime are pretty good. Run With The Wind quickly became one of my favorite shows and I enjoy pretty much every sports anime I watch. I really think you’ll love the show.
Jan 10, 2020 4:53 PM
Apr 2017
Themousen said:

What makes this anime super special is that it has one of the best characters ever. The way the characters evolve and improve is something I've never seen on the same level in any other anime. Evolve as players and as personalities. Every single character feels special in its on way specially the ones in the main team. I'd add it has a perfect flow of events and is filled with excitement. I suggest you give it a shot. Its certainly one of the best anime out there!
Jan 10, 2020 4:54 PM
Jul 2018
Character interactions and sports shots.
Jan 10, 2020 4:54 PM
Apr 2016
sDiatog said:
I'd say if you watch it first then it would make other sports animes feel shit...I watched it first and then tried KUROKU No BASKET in 2017 and to this day i just cant get past ep 17... Maybe the reason is it is more realistic than the other sports anime..the protagonist is no way near the best players and isnt even top 3 in his own team... But he never gives up and the development of each and every character is spot on... Every character has a part to play ... You can feel the emotions of the players throughout the series....I'd say give it a watch... You will love it πŸ˜‰
But if you watch Hajime no Ippo first it will make even Haikyuu look bad. So yes, I recommend watching Hajime no Ippo now, a sports anime I personally find even better than Haikyuu, despite loving Haikyuu very much.
Jan 10, 2020 4:55 PM
Apr 2017
Rimzyy said:
Themousen said:

Haikyuu!! is one of my favorite anime of all time. I never even gave a single thought to volleyball or sports anime before I watched it. I was never interested in that stuff. I watched the first like 5 minutes of the first ep and I clicked off because I thought it might not be the show for me. But boy was I wrong. You get to know almost every single character very well and truly care about them. You see them grow and you come to love the sport of volleyball. By the time I finished it I knew so much more about the sport and grew much more interested in it. When you get to the later matches, they are so intense and have crazy impactful moments that make the show so good. On the side of the “will I not like other sports anime after this?” The answer is no. I haven’t watched many other than Haikyuu, but from what I can tell most sports anime are pretty good. Run With The Wind quickly became one of my favorite shows and I enjoy pretty much every sports anime I watch. I really think you’ll love the show.

I am the same as you my friend! I tried watching the first episode for like 3 times before really settling to finish it! After that it becomes simply addiction
Jan 10, 2020 4:58 PM

Dec 2016
questioning myself the same thing, watched season 1, currently season 2 and I don't see what's so godly about it
Jan 10, 2020 5:03 PM

Aug 2019
I think it's because it's so motivational and because they also don't have some overpowered skills. Don't get me wrong tho, I don't dislike other sports anime. Kuroko no basket & Diamond no ace are some of my favorites. What makes Haikyuu!! stand out the most to me is its realism and the way they characterize its players. Both the main ones on their teams along with the rivals they face. Every team they play has a very distinct feel to them and watching them get stronger and overcome obstacles as a team is something not shown as strongly in other sports anime.

Jan 10, 2020 5:06 PM
Nov 2018
twoego said:
sDiatog said:
But if you watch Hajime no Ippo first it will make even Haikyuu look bad. So yes, I recommend watching Hajime no Ippo now, a sports anime I personally find even better than Haikyuu, despite loving Haikyuu very much.
i mean for me hajime no ippo is my top 3.. i found MEGALO BOX better than it and of course my favourite is haikyuu...but u have ur own opinion and i respect that but fr me Haikyuu and megalo box are better
Jan 10, 2020 5:08 PM

Nov 2016
If you enjoy sports and shounen tropes then chances are high that you will fall in love with this anime and even if not, you should have at least a fun time. The best part is definitely the cast. There are so many likeable characters with great chemistry which makes the comedy so damn funny. There's also plenty of character development. The matches are really exciting. Might start a bit on the slower side, but later down the line it gets extremely intense. Dunno how many times I was standing up while watching season 3(even tho I already read the manga before) Profuction is also top notch. Animation is constantly good and some of the plays are really eye candy. There's also epic soundtrack.

As for the score, of course it's high, it's season 4 of an already really high rated series. Season 3 was even in the top 10 back in 2016.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 10, 2020 5:11 PM

Oct 2018
The score will obviously drop since a lot people were giving 10 so don't care about that, as for haikyuu it's a good sports show. Can't say the best but definitely one of the best.
Jan 10, 2020 5:16 PM
Jan 2014
It's unironically one of the worst shows I've ever seen. Forcing myself to watch the first three seasons was a serious challenge and I think I'd rather pass a kidney stone than do it again.
Jan 10, 2020 5:24 PM

Mar 2018
Rimzyy said:
Themousen said:

Well said my friend.
Jan 10, 2020 5:36 PM

Aug 2018
ItsXolo said:
It's unironically one of the worst shows I've ever seen. Forcing myself to watch the first three seasons was a serious challenge and I think I'd rather pass a kidney stone than do it again.

You are the definition of “if I don’t like the show nobody should!” Like chill out stop watching if you don’t like it
Jan 10, 2020 5:36 PM

Sep 2017
Thanks for all your replies, I'm definitively gonna give this anime a try, I especially love when the characters are well written and likeable
Jan 10, 2020 5:37 PM

Mar 2019
If you are interested i made a review about this topic https://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=307592

i think it explains well why i think haikyuu is so special among other animes (of every genre) and doesn't contain spoilers. But it's REALLY long, mind
Jan 10, 2020 5:46 PM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
Don't worry about it getting a chihayafuru season 3 situation, its actually immensely popular. Its an extremely hype sports anime and its what got me into watching sports anime in the first place, its cast and action are top tier and I think everyone should give it a chance.
Jan 10, 2020 6:07 PM
Jan 2014
Rimzyy said:
ItsXolo said:

You are the definition of “if I don’t like the show nobody should!” Like chill out stop watching if you don’t like it

can you bold the part of the post where i implied that?
Jan 10, 2020 6:46 PM

Oct 2015
If you like shonen anime then you'll probably like sports shonen anime since they're basically the same, just swap fights for matches vs other teams. Haikyu is a good place to start.
Jan 10, 2020 6:59 PM

Aug 2018
ItsXolo said:
Rimzyy said:

can you bold the part of the post where i implied that?

Ok I like that response I respect you now that was pretty good
Jan 10, 2020 7:21 PM

Jul 2012
the characters definitely make this show what it is. feel-good, satisfying, exciting, and completely enrapturing. it could be bias in my case as this is straight up my favourite series, but i really don't care for the comparisons between clearly different sports anime series iterations.

haikyuu!! just works in a way that is really satisfying to me, the music is actually a big part of that, but everything comes together in a way that makes me feel good.
Jan 10, 2020 7:28 PM

Mar 2018
Not seen this but it better move out of the top 10. We can't put ourselves to shame by letting a generic sports shounen be in the top 10, something that's supposed to represent the taste of the MAL community. Come on y'all.
EsquirtitJan 10, 2020 7:33 PM
poop
Jan 10, 2020 7:49 PM

Mar 2019
Esquirtit said:
Not seen this but it better move out of the top 10. We can't put ourselves to shame by letting a generic sports shounen be in the top 10, something that's supposed to represent the taste of the MAL community. Come on y'all.

As you said, you didn't watch it, so this comment doesn't make sense. "Something that's supposed to represent the taste of the MAL community" season 3 has been in the top 15 for 3 years pal. So don't worry, it represents the general taste. Maybe not yours but there's no need to be this negative and obnoxious lol. I've recommended this anime to like 15 people and everyone liked it, the same happened to other people who recommended it. So don't worry about "representing taste", your comment is a shame, not haikyuu being in the top.
Jan 10, 2020 7:58 PM
Jul 2018
Let's say this every sports anime with a high school setting probably has the same plot and we can say Haikyuu is the same but it did it's best in everything (animation, plot, characters, yeah ofc the hype). So basically as it's name says "To the top" yeah I think they will aim even further higher than the previous seasons.
Jan 10, 2020 8:35 PM
Mar 2019
Esquirtit said:

Dude you shouldn't be biased. It's a very good example of creativity because it drags people in with a very limited genre. No fan service, no overpowered protagonist, no enemies... Just realism. Even if you dont know anything about volleyball, it teaches you and make you love the sport. So in my opinion it is a masterpiece.
Jan 10, 2020 8:45 PM

Dec 2016
kutuphayvani said:
Esquirtit said:

no overpowered protagonist, no enemies... Just realism.

you sure about that? I mean boy still runs and jumps abnormally fast and high respectively lol
Jan 10, 2020 8:58 PM

Jan 2018
I'm only on the second season but the reasons why I've enjoyed it as much as I have is because pretty much the entire cast is likeable, they treat Karasuno's opponents like real human beings with love of the sport; there's no real thing as someone being "bad guys" in it, the animation is good, the sakuga is also pretty good, it established a fine line of being believable without being too dull about the realism aspects, it doesn't really treat you like an idiot who doesn't know anything about Volleyball, the sheer devotion of the sport they love feels very relatable and the tension feels the legit same way as watching a real live sport does.
What a beautiful Duwang
Jan 10, 2020 8:59 PM
Mar 2019
Ferien said:
kutuphayvani said:

no overpowered protagonist, no enemies... Just realism.

you sure about that? I mean boy still runs and jumps abnormally fast and high respectively lol

He doesnt jump higher. In fact he reaches his max elevation slower when compared to taller players reaching that level. So this does not creates him an advantage. It only allows him to play the sport which is crucial in a sports anime. And also there are faster guys. His only power is ambition.
Jan 10, 2020 8:59 PM
Nov 2019
I agree with with what everyone has said thus far but also wanted to note that Haikyuu does a great job exploring the emotions, motivations and aspirations of its secondary characters. The growth and development of the main cast is very well done, but Haikyuu also makes us care about characters we would never have given a second thought of if they were in the typical shonen anime.
The show does a great job of making each opponent and rival feel like a real individual with their own nuanced personalities and rich backstories. The character development of the main characters will continue with season 4 (5 and 6 if they come out as well) and you will introduced you characters you never knew you needed (coming from a manga reader).
Jan 10, 2020 9:05 PM
Dec 2019
The most realistic sports anime, and the intensity of the match
Jan 10, 2020 10:12 PM

Jul 2019
ItsXolo said:

Imagine taking the time to watch a show you hate this much. It's unfortunate that you couldn't enjoy the greatness. Probably because you were too busy thinking about how much you dislike the show instead of actually watching it.
Jan 10, 2020 10:14 PM

Jul 2019
Esquirtit said:

Generic? In what way? By being based on sports????
Jan 10, 2020 10:15 PM

Jul 2019
Themousen said:

The show just puts the brightest smile on your face and really knows how to sell emotions!
Jan 11, 2020 1:49 AM

May 2019
Haikyuu is pretty good, however such a high score after 1 episode might be the result of screaming fanboys trying to put it in the no.1 spot, no doubt that it will end up in the top 20 or even the top 10 but such a high score so early is pretty stupid.

IAmNotAWeeb99 said:
The most realistic sports anime
No.
Jan 11, 2020 3:04 AM

Nov 2018
Themousen said:

A lot of people really enjoy sports shows such as Haikyuu!! because it's a character-driven show. It's good and really useful when the audience can relate to characters such as Hinata, someone who is at a disadvantage or someone who is considered the underdog in the story. Unlike other sports anime (such as Kuroko or Prince of Tennis), it's very realistic and there's plenty of character development from the beginning of the show, so we get to see a character's progression, meaning the payoff with be very satisfactory at the end.

A lot of us who weren't fans of volleyball at first now might have the urge or willingness to start playing sports. I've come to terms with the show and now I enjoy watching volleyball, I now wish I put some effort in practicing volleyball during my time at school.

If you take a look at other shows such as Gintama or Legend of the Galactic Heroes, one of the reasons people love them so much are the characters. Another reason is that it's great storytelling, again, one of LotGH's strong points, Haikyuu!! is a well-written show with barely any noticeable flaws (unless you're really knit-picky and complain about everything)

Sports anime might get a deal of hate from a group of anime viewers, but it definitely isn't something you should gloss over, as you could potentially find some gems.

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time πŸ™πŸ™
Jan 11, 2020 3:46 AM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
Giulia14 said:
Esquirtit said:

As you said, you didn't watch it, so this comment doesn't make sense. "Something that's supposed to represent the taste of the MAL community" season 3 has been in the top 15 for 3 years pal. So don't worry, it represents the general taste. Maybe not yours but there's no need to be this negative and obnoxious lol. I've recommended this anime to like 15 people and everyone liked it, the same happened to other people who recommended it. So don't worry about "representing taste", your comment is a shame, not haikyuu being in the top.

Yeah this is something important to note, I can recommend this show to entirely regular people who never watch anime and even they like it, that's why it stands out as one of the best anime overall.
Jan 11, 2020 3:56 AM

Feb 2017
Aside from the great and relatable cast of characters we all love and cheer for, another reason I love Haikyu!! is that it simply radiates positive energy and makes you feel good. Watching all those different characters hang out, joke, train hard, give their heart on the field just makes you feel happy, motivated and eager to start doing something yourself. Plus, when combined with phenomenal production values in every aspect, animation, music, designs and direction from the team at Production I.G makes this show a fantastic experience.
Jan 11, 2020 4:40 AM

Mar 2018
I really like it because of the characters. Every character is well written and likable and you really feel like rooting for them in every match. Another reason I really like the show is that the matches are really exciting and every time a match really gets going I just feel really hyped up and excited. And about the “being disappointed by other sports anime” I’d say you shouldn’t really worry about it, I personally think haikyuu is the second best sports anime/manga after slam dunk but I watched haikyuu before watching any other sports anime and still think that other anime are extremely good.
Jan 11, 2020 4:43 AM

Mar 2018
MehmetY said:
Esquirtit said:

Well we already have a generic shounen in the top 10 (HxH) so having a generic sport shounen in the top 10 isn't that shaming anymore.
how the hell is HxH “generic”
Jan 11, 2020 5:16 AM
Sep 2019
Haikyuu has one the best underdog stories I've ever watched in anything ever

Moments that will have you're heart beating & characters with some really funny moments.

And I first watched this series last month and got up to date with the series early this week
Jan 11, 2020 5:28 AM

Mar 2018
MehmetY said:
MASTERLYNX said:
how the hell is HxH “generic”

How the hell it isn't? Only non-cliché arc of HxH is Chimera Ant arc, other arcs have so many shounen clichés. Especially episode 47.
okay so why is ep 47 generic ? Because it’s a fight episode ? And saying “only” chimera ant arc isn’t generic is dumb Considering the fact that it’s almost half of the show and how are york new and chairman election arc generic when one of them focuses on the villains and the other focuses on killua which isn’t the main character. Also HxH explores themes and ideas such as grief and depression which almost no shonen does. And also gon is probably the least generic shonen protagonist out there...
Jan 11, 2020 6:54 AM
Feb 2016
Themousen said:

Its a good shonen but people love to overhype it. It certainly isn't as good as a 9 but i'd say if you like a typical shonen but done pretty well you will enjoy the series a lot. Just don't expect the characters to be deep or anything, they are just basic but good shonen characters. Story is the typical sports plot as well.
Jan 11, 2020 8:19 AM
Apr 2016
killerqueen2000 said:
Themousen said:

Its a good shonen but people love to overhype it. It certainly isn't as good as a 9 but i'd say if you like a typical shonen but done pretty well you will enjoy the series a lot. Just don't expect the characters to be deep or anything, they are just basic but good shonen characters. Story is the typical sports plot as well.

"BASIC SHOUNEN CHARACTERS"??? what on earth, this show has some of the best written character arcs I've ever seen in fiction. If you think that then you literally have missed every single detail in every season.

Here's an analysis on Oikawa (Spoilers for S1-3 ofc): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6DQePdp7Po
Another vid that touches upon some aspects of hinata's character https://youtu.be/_P2QtmF9-bI

ireallywantcakeJan 11, 2020 8:23 AM
Jan 11, 2020 8:40 AM
Mar 2019
Pretty surprised with how this season of Haikyuu just CLIMBED the top 10 anime here on MAL. I mean sure, the animation, plot, OSTs, voice acting on all sesaons are no doubt fun and amazing but we JUST got the first ep people! I actually like the series SURE...but was ep 1 that good for it to fly up the charts just like that? ._.

somehow this kinda reminds me of how much haikyuu fangirls just OVEREXAGGERATES their ships and the hype scenes from the manga or anime on social media...
Beanie13268Jan 11, 2020 8:50 AM
Jan 11, 2020 9:03 AM
Apr 2015
Good things about this anime
1. The animation is top class, what do u expect from PRODUCTION IG. The movement, the emotion, they could put in pictures
2. The story is good. Season 1 to 3 have a good pace. But i feel sort of SLAM DUNK dejavu.
3. The main character's have incredible power just like kuroko no basuke things
4. The heroine is cute (but no romance)
5. Its about friendship (who doesn like friendship hiikkss GOING MERRY)
6. The fans reaaly fanatic. First episode and seems like a filler give 9 scores. ^^
Jan 11, 2020 9:52 AM

Jan 2019
Haikyuu isn't the worst anime out there, but DEAR LORD is it boring. The drama is so boring that I fell asleep mid episode. Also that CG volleyball gives me cancer every time I see it. And the character designs are generic and shitty. Plus volleyball is an inherently boring sport. Overall, I think the show just isn't for me but I understand why people might find it appealing. I recommend Eyeshield 21 instead because it deals with football, the best sport ever.
Hunter x Hunter is a 1/10
Jan 11, 2020 11:12 AM
Jun 2019
Probably the biggest part I like about this anime are the characters. Every character feels important, is interesting and has it's place. They don't just take the protagonists (Hinata and Kagayama) and make them win every game with their monstrous chemistry. No in literally every game they play you'll see the other characters developing and getting better as well. Also enemies that you thought you would never see again appear in future episodes.
Jan 11, 2020 11:42 AM
Feb 2016
Tsukizono said:

"BASIC SHOUNEN CHARACTERS"??? what on earth, this show has some of the best written character arcs I've ever seen in fiction. If you think that then you literally have missed every single detail in every season.

Here's an analysis on Oikawa (Spoilers for S1-3 ofc): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6DQePdp7Po
Another vid that touches upon some aspects of hinata's character https://youtu.be/_P2QtmF9-bI

not really. Oikawa is great I agree and he made season 2 great but Hinata is one of the most basic shonen mc's. in terms of shonen Sawamura Eijun is one of the best main characters because he's written differently than the typical ones.
but then you have the actual complex characters in sports like Ashita no joe and Ping pong the animation which haikyuu and Aod can't even be compared to in terms of character writing.
Jan 11, 2020 2:53 PM

Jul 2019
It's realistic. That's what's most beautiful about it. Also it has a big cast of lovable characters. This anime makes me really happy for some reason. Whenever I have a bad day I just watch a random episode of Haikyuu, that always cheers me up.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Haikyuu!!: To the Top Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2020

176 by Jekkii1 »»
Apr 4, 9:04 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!!: To the Top Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2020

69 by Jekkii1 »»
Mar 23, 4:13 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!!: To the Top Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2020

94 by adbeaver »»
Feb 25, 8:59 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!!: To the Top Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2020

107 by vit_ »»
Feb 18, 3:51 PM

Poll: » Haikyuu!!: To the Top Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 14, 2020

84 by Remotepaper »»
Jan 20, 8:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.