Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Smile Down the Runway
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 11, 2020 5:46 AM
Jan 2017
I went in with low expectations but it turned out to be a pretty solid first episode
Jan 11, 2020 5:49 AM

May 2012
This is good. Better than what I expected
Jan 11, 2020 6:38 AM

Dec 2014
Ok like wow that was a good start///... hmm

I wish this would happen more in real life... in Reality the company would have just taken it for themselves....
ibraheem234Jan 11, 2020 7:41 AM
Jan 11, 2020 6:42 AM

Sep 2019
Wait... this has an anime? I was so clueless...

Wandering Witch is the best light novel ever!
Jan 11, 2020 6:53 AM
Jan 2020
Chiyuki so pretty 😍😍 i like this anime 👍
Jan 11, 2020 6:53 AM
Jan 2020
Chiyuki so pretty 😍😍 i like this anime 👍
Jan 11, 2020 7:12 AM
Dec 2018
The animation and design looks really good, but the music is not the best, for me the music has no delivery, on the next episode when Tsumura will realise that he can pursue his dreams that scene with this music will not be powerful as when in My hero academia Midoriya get a chance to be a hero, but i hope i'm wrong.
Jan 11, 2020 7:19 AM

Nov 2019
Good episode, but the ost is very annoying
Jan 11, 2020 7:31 AM

Sep 2019
MehmetY said:
Bibimbapski said:
I haven't read the manga yet since I'm reading so many things right now. However, I saw the tag "SHOUNEN" in the manga. Is that true? How is it a shounen?

Shounen isn't a complete genre, everything can be a shounen as long as it's published in a shounen magazine.

As long as the mc is a young teenager ( below 19 ) it's a shounen. That's one.

And two, if the mc also has a particular goal / dreams it is a shounen. And usually the mc tries to become better and develop themselves to reach their goal. In Runway, the mc, Ikuto, doesn't have a particular dream but he finds it bit by bit as he progresses. So it still counts, because he tries to develop himself and his skill at making clothes.

And three, there usually is a strong desire that keeps the mc to go on reaching their goals. In runway, Ikuto doesn't have a strong desire, but Chiyuki motivates him and makes him share the same desire. Chiyuki made Ikuto to design clothes for her. And she encouraged him and actually helped him to become a fashion designer. Their desire, their passion in fashion both as the model and the designer are slowly aligned. And this is exactly what makes it a shounen. Ikuto doesn't have the determination he needs to become a fashion designer but after he met Chiyuki he slowly gained it.

Jan 11, 2020 7:48 AM

Sep 2019
MehmetY said:
White_Hollow said:

As long as the mc is a young teenager ( below 19 ) it's a shounen. That's one.

And two, if the mc also has a particular goal / dreams it is a shounen. And usually the mc tries to become better and develop themselves to reach their goal.

And three, there usually is a strong desire that keeps the mc to go on reaching their goals.

According to this definition, 3-gatsu no Lion 2nd Season and Vinland Saga are shounen too.

Four, shounen genre is aimed at young teenagers. So it has to be something which doesn't involve violence and sex.

Havent watched 3 Gatsu so i can't say anything about it.

But for Vinland Saga, the reason why it is not shounen is because it's clearly not aimed for young teenagers. You can see how much gore the show has. And it doesn't hold back from doing so.

Jan 11, 2020 8:04 AM

Dec 2015
Didn't expect that episode to be that good. Setting already sounded interesting. But shounen ... yeah. For a shounen though the first episode was really good. Reminds a bit of Ballroom. Other stuff usually not done by young people nowadays. And htere it was even part of the episode. The boy being the only member in the club (cause no one is interested in such stuff).

Pacing also was good. Pretty fast with the pic of his design being taken and spread. Looking forward to more.
Jan 11, 2020 9:33 AM

May 2015
It felt kinda rushed, all the major obstacles resolved within the episode almost by pure chance. But the premise is still interesting enough. These main characters make quite an unusual combination, looking forward to their future work together.
Jan 11, 2020 9:36 AM

Sep 2017
It's by no means a bad show. I love the subject matter, but I'm also wary of running a shounen narrative outside of the confine of a high school setting. It could send potentially dangerous message to teenagers that they do not have to plan their career and set their expectation more realistically.

I know a lot of people (especially the younger ones) are probably gonna disagree with me strongly, but I'm not really against shows about idealists. My problem is that the idealists in these shows are almost always guaranteed to succeed at the end no matter what happens in between. Try make a show about a dream chaser who is ultimately crushed by reality but still manages to affirm the dignity of his/her idealist passion-- that would make it a much more genuine show because your affirmation of idealism isn't based on any guarantee of success. (like Slam Dunk)

Anyway, I still think there should be more shows targeting teenagers about how to live a good life without having to be "world top XX". I've seen too many people who live miserably once they entered adulthood because by definition there ain't enough room for everyone who want to be the top, the most famous, the most successful. The only one who are benefited from spreading this ideology is the corporates who exploit on young people's passion. If you know anything about the fashion industry you must have heard that fashion companies have been hiring full-time "interns" with absolutely 0 salary. A lot of young people are freely giving their labour and talent to them for years and most of them are not going to be able to get a decent job in the industry. If you don't have a relatively rich family who can support you financially to work a few years for free after college, you're not gonna have any chance in the industry at all. Why encourage young people living in a poor family who has no connection and no cultural capital to bet their life on it like there is no other way to live a decent life other than to become exactly what you wished yourself to be when you were 12 and uninformed? Are the lives of the vast majority of the world population not worth living? Actually there are shows about adults who sacrificed their dream for supporting the family. I often find that a lot more mature and respectable.
CHCJan 11, 2020 9:49 AM
Jan 11, 2020 9:42 AM

Sep 2009
Episode 1 but it feels like it's not. Things happened so fast O-O
I wonder if I'll still continue to watch this series. Didn't pique my interest.
Jan 11, 2020 10:46 AM

Dec 2016
White_Hollow said:

But for Vinland Saga, the reason why it is not shounen is because it's clearly not aimed for young teenagers. You can see how much gore the show has. And it doesn't hold back from doing so.

For starters Vinland Saga started in a shonen publisher. The author switched to a seinen publisher because he couldn't keep up with weekly deliveries, it had nothing to do with the content or the target aimed to.

Secondly. Gore has nothing to do with where a title should be published. Look at original Devilman manga from the 70s, it was more brutal than Vinland Saga manga and it caused a lot of controversy by being published in a shonen publisher back in the days.
Jan 11, 2020 10:49 AM
Jan 2018
White_Hollow said:
MehmetY said:

According to this definition, 3-gatsu no Lion 2nd Season and Vinland Saga are shounen too.

Four, shounen genre is aimed at young teenagers. So it has to be something which doesn't involve violence and sex.

domestic na kanojo, and chainsaw Man are shounen, despite Domekano having sex scenes and chainsaw man having a lot of gore scenes.
Jan 11, 2020 10:52 AM
Jul 2019
I'm watching Haikyuu and Smile Down the Runway this season, both shows about underdogs too short to pursue their dream, and I'm trying to figure out why I love Hinata but want Chiyuki to wise up and be realistic. I can't figure out where the line is between plucky underdog and stubbornly oblivious to reality.
Jan 11, 2020 11:07 AM
Jul 2018
Ikuto needs more screentime, I'm more interested in his success (haha, I hope) story, than all of this supermodel bs. Dad telling his daughter she's a failure - that's 10/10 parenting. And who got the idea of becoming a model into her head in the first place, i wonder... Ikuto's family on the other hand are so loving and supportive - hope his mom will be okay.
Jan 11, 2020 11:48 AM

May 2018
A petite girl who dreams of being a super model and a guy struggling to be a fashion designer......hummm, this could be interesting.

FYI , the current shortest super model is Kate Moss, who stands out at 5'5".
JiangHaoyi1979Jan 11, 2020 12:11 PM
Jan 11, 2020 11:48 AM

Dec 2016
I personally hate these type of stories "X years ago" always making stakes meaningless like "Oh no they both can lose their jobs and dreams!!... Ah, I forgot that in few years They'll always have Paris" every true risk and danger will never exist.

But overall it was great episode.
Manga recommendation:
- Spy x Family (Ch.96/? - biweekly) | Sakamoto Days (Ch.163/? - weekly)
- MARRIAGETOXIN (Ch.85/? - weekly) | Mama Yuuyu (Ch.29 - Finished)
- Make the Exorcist Fall in Love (Ch.63/? - biweekly)
- You and I Are Polar Opposites (Ch.52/? - biweekly)
Anime recommendation:
- Deca-Dence (Finished) | Wave, Listen to Me! (Finished)
- If My Favorite Pop Idol Made It to the Budokan, I Would Die (Finished)
- Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater (Finished)
Jan 11, 2020 12:52 PM

Jul 2016
Well, the story is as dramatic as I expected but I'm enjoying it so far.

That said, I'm finding Chiyuki's cocky attitude a bit irritating. Guess models need to have that kind of personality but still.

Ikuto, on the other hand, might be the main reason I will enjoy this series. The fact that he's taking the "parent" role in taking care of his sisters is really sweet and since I love stories related to family members supporting each other, I know I will end up loving him and his family eventually.

Solid start overall.
Jan 11, 2020 2:59 PM
Dec 2019
Another one of the season that's one of my favorites!
Characters are great and complement each other perfectly, their objetives are hard but they will eventualy achieve them. Their team-work will be necessary for both of them to success.
The OST is pretty nice, as the visuals, the animation is smooth and the color are bright and animated.

[100/100]
Jan 11, 2020 3:08 PM

Sep 2019
Kimurah said:
White_Hollow said:

For starters Vinland Saga started in a shonen publisher. The author switched to a seinen publisher because he couldn't keep up with weekly deliveries, it had nothing to do with the content or the target aimed to.

Secondly. Gore has nothing to do with where a title should be published. Look at original Devilman manga from the 70s, it was more brutal than Vinland Saga manga and it caused a lot of controversy by being published in a shonen publisher back in the days.

I see, now that i think about it even hunter x hunter is a bit gore and it's still a shounen. Well, i guess there is no exact indicator to define what a shounen genre is
White_HollowJan 11, 2020 3:32 PM

Jan 11, 2020 3:30 PM

Sep 2019
F2k65 said:
White_Hollow said:

domestic na kanojo, and chainsaw Man are shounen, despite Domekano having sex scenes and chainsaw man having a lot of gore scenes.

Chainsaw man is packed with a lot of fun and the mc is a dork, so story wise even though it's gore it's still fitting for teenagers. Although it literally almost killed every characters in the series and full of gore. I think Denji is the main reason why it is a shounen. As a main character he really doesn't have any sense of responsibilities, he just want to fool around and get what he wants. Pretty much what a teenager would think of.

I only watch the anime but for Domekano, i think it has something to do with Natsuo. Even though it does has sex scenes, Natsuo still hesitates and feel guilty after doing so. Even though, in the latter half of the anime, his brakes is totally broken and he is starting to make out with Hina in every occassion there is. Compare it with Kuzu no Honkai, where both Hanabi anf Mugi doesn't even have a brake from the get go.

But again, there is no exact indicator for a series to be a shounen. So my answers aren't precise.

Jan 11, 2020 6:21 PM

Dec 2018
omg, that was sickeningly sweet and i loved it!
Jan 11, 2020 6:21 PM

Oct 2008
w0w! i'm impressed! never thought this was good huh!
lol at the VA cast...i feel like 2B and 9S talking to each other (from Automata) the MC guy Ikuto & his younger sister Honoka!
char designs are nice and OST was good.
5/5.

Jan 11, 2020 10:16 PM

Jan 2015
The color palette was colorful as the rainbow. Good choice for an adaptation with a vibrant main lead. The isolation shot when Chiyuki says the same thing she dreads to hear was pretty well executed. A selfless male protagonist and a Jhon Cena female lead, looking forward to the next episode.
Your life to come is bound to make you smile
Jan 12, 2020 1:00 AM

May 2017
The ending to the episode felt a little abrupt, but everything else was right up my alley. One of the more promising titles of the season.
Jan 12, 2020 2:14 AM
Mar 2016
This might be my favorite this season. I can relate to them so much. Chasing your dreams when people think you can't or even you think is impossible? It brings a refreshing story from reality that we all need
Jan 12, 2020 2:18 AM

Apr 2015
I did hear that this is more like a sports show than a fashion show and I can see why.

Fairly fun premiere but not overly excited about the rest.
Jan 12, 2020 4:07 AM
( ̄y▽ ̄)╭ Ohohoho.

Jul 2013
This was not what I normally watch, but I was strangely interested in this and decided to give it a chance. Glad I did since I really loved the first episode. I can't wait to see more designs of Ikuto, the first outfit was pretty cute. Also, his little sister, aahhhh, need to protecc <3 Chiyuki is really pretty and seeing her chasing her dreams made me remember a few things from my past, so I can relate a lot. I'll probably also read the manga since people say it's so much better.
Haptism93Jan 12, 2020 4:11 AM

I will show no mercy for you
You had no mercy for me
The only thing that I ask
Love me mercilessly
Jan 12, 2020 5:56 AM
Jan 2020
Nothing is impossible if you just believe in yourself right? :) I think that's the message this anime is trying to send us and I LOVE IT! I l always wondered what's it like to be a supermodel given that I myself am short - 163cm to be exact :D I'm excited to see how the story will unfold!
Jan 12, 2020 8:51 AM

Nov 2019
Shizuku: "You just don't have the height", "Chiyuki, it's impossible", "Please just give up".

[Chiyuki struts in with custom couture several days later..]

Shizuku: ..Okay, you're hired.

So, like.. It wasn't the height..
Jan 12, 2020 10:02 AM

Jul 2019
Ten said:
It felt kinda rushed, all the major obstacles resolved within the episode almost by pure chance. But the premise is still interesting enough. These main characters make quite an unusual combination, looking forward to their future work together.

Yeah... For a shounen, this much story progression is enough for 12 ep season if written wisely which we got in a single ep that is nothing short of extraordinary but at the same time there is huge possibility that the story will go downhill from the beginning..
Still...
Looking forward to it..
Jan 12, 2020 11:10 AM
Jul 2018
It was okay in general. I liked the animation and the character designs :)
Jan 12, 2020 11:53 AM

Apr 2014
Why is it listed as shonen tho??
~Xind
Jan 12, 2020 11:58 AM
Dec 2019
xXPORTALXx said:

Without any further knowledge I guess this could go into the direction of shounen shows like Food Wars. Here the guy makes clothes and she presents them. Later on they will have "tournaments" (fashion shows) against some pretty eccentric individuals.
Jan 12, 2020 12:11 PM

Nov 2019

Jan 12, 2020 2:31 PM

Jun 2015
People are missing a hidden gem in this show. Not-so-new grand concept (a person achieving his/her goal), but a refreshingly new theme (fashion designer and model). I love the VA cast for both main characters.

And also... She is very beautiful, don't you think? I've always loved her design (and most of the series' characters) ever since I started reading the manga.

YosepRAJan 12, 2020 2:40 PM
Jan 12, 2020 3:24 PM

Jul 2017
The first anime inspired by shows such as Project Runway, <Country>'s Next Top Model etc., it's a really refreshing series in the slew of imitations, enough for it to stand out and be unique.

Not just some simpleton's dream, but for lead female Chiyuki, being a supermodel to be the presentation growing up with her limitations. Sure, having a dream as big as life itself (being models and fashion designers) is a cause for worry, but with the ambition, they can go far, not without overcoming their fears in the process.

With that, the fledgling ambitions of Chiyuki and Ikuto are soon realising every moment. But it's clear from his side that aside from supporting his family, he's taking everything together whilst putting his ambition aside, forgetting that his family too are also his consumers, and that they help support him. It's really nice to see such a mature family.

And with it, the support that Chiyuki starts her ultimate dream anew with her dad's agency, with her name as the family's branding in French. Before we knew it, Chiyuki is once again standing in the limelight, with Ikuto himself landing together in Chiyuki's company.

Color me surprised. This is studio Ezo'la's 3rd (count 2.5 since Sounan Desu ka? is only half-episode long) outing, but now with the experience made since Happy Sugar Life, it's going to be a stunning production. Damn happy for the faithful manga adaptation, and only want more.
KANLen09Jan 12, 2020 3:29 PM
Jan 12, 2020 10:48 PM

Aug 2013
Am I the only one who got really annoyed about the soundtrack which got used 2 times in the beginning of the episode, it really felt like some cheap free copyright song you can find on youtube and it felt out of place aswell, mainly the second time we hear it (around 5min of episode).

Apart from that, it was okay, I prefered the manga but it was not bad.
Jan 13, 2020 2:08 AM

Oct 2017
Wow I kinda dislike this type of anime but this start was unexpected for me, really amazing. Totally loved this episode.
Jan 13, 2020 4:15 AM

Nov 2019

She composes the tweet from (I'm assuming) her home timeline, but the tweet button to actually post it is over at her profile page..
Instagram is called Instogram..
And apparently the favourite button never went away..

this_shit_againJan 13, 2020 4:47 AM
Jan 13, 2020 10:19 AM

Mar 2014
Good very good !!!
Jan 13, 2020 11:41 AM
Sep 2018
delta5 said:
I definitely didn't like how both MCs got top-tier dream jobs in the first episode...now it's just going to be...what? The inside drama of the fashion industry? I don't know how interesting that will be compared to a story of outsiders working hard to break into the system. Meh.

welp that's not what actually happens, but you'll see in the next episode.
Jan 13, 2020 11:47 AM
Aug 2011
My face when I come here and see idiots thinking that shounen series have to have very specific archetypes for it to be classified as such.

Never change MAL. Change would be too good for you.

As for the episode, I wish that Ikuto was voiced by pretty much anyone else instead of Hanae Natsuki but I guess I can't win 'em all.
Jan 13, 2020 1:44 PM

Mar 2012
White_Hollow said:
MehmetY said:

Nope a shonen is a manga published in a shonen magazine.
That's why Claymore, SnK or Alice in Borderland are shonen even if they seems like seinen.

Obviously there is a target but it doesn't mean that's you can everytime know if it's a shonen, shojo, josei or seinen just by looking the art or the mc.
And multiple manga change. Orange was a Shojo and become a Seinen. For Vinland it was at first a shonen.

As for Runway de Waratte juste read the manga, it's obvious that it was made for a shonen magazine with all those shonen tropes.
Jan 13, 2020 1:55 PM

Apr 2014
Sylverthas said:
xXPORTALXx said:

Without any further knowledge I guess this could go into the direction of shounen shows like Food Wars. Here the guy makes clothes and she presents them. Later on they will have "tournaments" (fashion shows) against some pretty eccentric individuals.

Ugh I'm sorry but I rather hate those shows that try to turn non-combative topics into some sort of 'battle,' with the exception of athletic themes as they're more or less mock battles to begin with. I'm out haha
~Xind
Jan 13, 2020 2:07 PM
Dec 2019
xXPORTALXx said:
Sylverthas said:

Ugh I'm sorry but I rather hate those shows that try to turn non-combative topics into some sort of 'battle,' with the exception of athletic themes as they're more or less mock battles to begin with. I'm out haha

That's just my take on it (I'm only speculating, don't know the source). Maybe I'm absolutely wrong and the show goes in a completely different direction :)
Jan 13, 2020 11:30 PM

Jul 2014
This is really good! I love how Chiyuki never give up on her dreams, it inspires me too.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Runway de Waratte Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2020

65 by phantom346 »»
Feb 13, 7:53 AM

Poll: » Runway de Waratte Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 14, 2020

56 by phantom346 »»
Jan 17, 7:48 PM

Poll: » Runway de Waratte Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2020

93 by degenerate-2002 »»
Sep 16, 2023 2:48 PM

Poll: » Runway de Waratte Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2020

46 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 6, 2023 8:06 PM

Poll: » Runway de Waratte Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 13, 2020

45 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 6, 2023 6:38 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.