Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Dec 21, 2019 5:05 PM

Nov 2016
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
King Kong Gun? I'm out xD

Really lacked the impact from the manga for obvious reasons. There Kaido tanked Luffy's attacks and just one shotted him without making a big deal out of it. Was way more intimidating than this flashy flop show. At least this episode handled some aspects better than the last one.
FMmatronDec 21, 2019 7:40 PM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 21, 2019 5:36 PM
Dec 2017
While i agree that impact in the manga was better, i think anime in the last two episodes did a good job for anime onlies. Luffy gave his absolute power limit and it still wasn't enough even to scratch DRUNK Kaido and then he got one shoted. I think it helped expand that half a chapter without big pacing issues. Also, now when in the manga Oda skips a lot of not that important content to speed up the story, anime staff could use this chance to filled up cool mixed filler content.
Dec 21, 2019 6:43 PM

Jul 2017
Good episode. Sure, the impact wasn't as strong and quick as the manga was, but I loved the animation and the sound effects used hyped me up enough to make up for it.

Dec 21, 2019 6:45 PM

Feb 2010
Nice animation but this encounter really didn't need to be stretched across 3 episodes and Luffy's rage aura thing felt out of place and tacky.
Dec 21, 2019 7:13 PM

Nov 2012
FMmatron said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.

Really lacked the impact from the manga for obvious reasons. There Kaido tanked Luffy's attacks and just one shotted him without making a big deal out of it. Was way more intimating than this flashy flop show. At least this episode handled some aspects better than the last one.

It was the best episode of the year cmon fam.
Dec 21, 2019 7:16 PM

Jun 2016
Home Run!

Pirate King Who?
Dec 21, 2019 7:17 PM

Sep 2013
The fact that Luffy was able to push Kaido in a distance is just straight up bullshit.
And yeah I know the point of it was that to show Luffy's absolute power limit and then get one shot afterwards since Kaido didn't felt shit from any of Luffy's attacks.
It was an alright episode it lacked the impact from the manga though. Sigh.
Dec 21, 2019 7:38 PM

Nov 2016
SwordRed said:
FMmatron said:

Really lacked the impact from the manga for obvious reasons. There Kaido tanked Luffy's attacks and just one shotted him without making a big deal out of it. Was way more intimating than this flashy flop show. At least this episode handled some aspects better than the last one.

It was the best episode of the year cmon fam.

Yeah, what masterful execution..

The Urashima episode was less painful than this abomination.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 21, 2019 7:43 PM
Mar 2019
Best episode of the arc so far imo. Also neat that they had Kaido full-one tank a King Kong Gun and at the same time one-shot Luffy, really drives home the gap between the two.
Dec 21, 2019 7:50 PM

Oct 2019
Gear 4 does not give a wound to Kaido
Dec 21, 2019 7:59 PM

Apr 2012
I get that Kaido is like the strongest and that he took like 0 dmg from all that but i was like, what if Luffy hitted him hard enough in the chest to stop his heart, even if he took no dmg. (I dont even remember where i have seen that, dr.house? xD )
Also, i know he is a human who eat a dragon fruit but i prefer the version, he is a dragon than eat a human fruit :P
Dec 21, 2019 8:53 PM

Feb 2015
I'm glad luffy lost, now we get to see luffy get stronger and more determined to win which will make a better story.
they were both fighting for no real reason. luffy was fighting because kaido was messing with his friends (who luffy may or may-not have know if they were alright from the attack). luffy should have been fighting for something more; such as being king of the pirates AND his friends (as well as being free). kaido on the other hand (unlike most other villains) we know nothing about; we don't know why/how he's strong, what he wants and why he fights, combined with no emotion or effort shown when he's fighting it's difficult to root for either character to win.

this story appears to just be warming up and am very interested to see what happens to luffy and how he overcomes this obstacle.

the animation and music were excellent, especially after luffy uses 'kong organ gun' where the scene quiets down as kaido is lying there

I have not read any manga.
Dec 21, 2019 9:12 PM
Dec 2010
All that build up just to get dropped by a SINGLE attack. 915 episodes of power progression and training culminates in this. Really?

That's 0-2 against Emperor's of the Sea. Not just losses, but total and complete domination without so much as putting a scratch on either Kaido or Big Mom. In back-to-back arcs no less.

I honestly don't even know what to expect from this show anymore. Virtually everything after the Summit War has been a pretty big letdown.
Dec 21, 2019 10:12 PM

Jun 2014
Well these last couple episodes have had nice animation and were entertaining but this fight didn't need to be stretched so much. But I understand why they did it......
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Dec 22, 2019 12:45 AM

Aug 2018
Awesome! Episode
Dec 22, 2019 1:19 AM

Jul 2015
Just an episode of Kaido tanking attacks and then doing one round of playing baseball with luffy's body while he is doing gear fourth

Luffy sure has a lot to do before challenging Kaido if he plans on defeating him

Dec 22, 2019 1:19 AM

Jul 2007
What most manga readers are trying to point out is that at no point at all in the manga was kaido on the offensive against luffy. It was more like kaido was disoriented, looking away even and caught off guard by luffy's flurry of attacks upon the dragons head, only then did he transform back into his original oni form and completely 1 shot KO'd luffy at the point where he was sober again. In other words luffy kicked him out of his drucken state and then kaido slammed him down in one shot.

In the anime they made kaido look like he was going head to head against luffy and even so far as to portray luffy actually over powering kaido in some parts of the battle. This really undermines in my opinion the point that oda is trying to make here. People in the anime community perceive this battle as like luffy being able to tank or at least absorb damage from kaido when kaido is actually attacking luffy where as the story that oda wrote was the fact that kaido has like an invincible armor and the only time he actually attacked luffy was when he KOed him with a single blow. The impact here was far more greater because its the simple fact that the power gap is still just to far ahead, finally in kaido's last line of dialogue. "What kind of king did you say you would be?" had much more meaning behind it because of the one sided and swift end to the battle.

Well seems like the next episode will be the last finally.
ArtimesGamerDec 22, 2019 1:47 AM

Dec 22, 2019 1:36 AM

Jul 2016
xKeegaa said:
The fact that Luffy was able to push Kaido in a distance is just straight up bullshit.
And yeah I know the point of it was that to show Luffy's absolute power limit and then get one shot afterwards since Kaido didn't felt shit from any of Luffy's attacks.

This plus the last big fight has reallt stuffed up power levels in the universe...

So Luffy was able to take an absolute punding by katakurri but one shot from kaido does him in?
Dec 22, 2019 1:43 AM

Jul 2007
Vindicater said:
xKeegaa said:

This plus the last big fight has reallt stuffed up power levels in the universe...

So Luffy was able to take an absolute punding by katakurri but one shot from kaido does him in?

The power scale and gap between Katukuri and a yonko are immensely higher. So yeah well katakuri was pretty strong, luffy was still able to adsorb damage from him also due to the fact that his body is made out of rubber but against kaido, he would never be able to defend against such an opponent if that opponent was serious. More of this will be explained in the future of the story about why the yonko's are so terrifyingly powerful.
ArtimesGamerDec 22, 2019 1:49 AM

Dec 22, 2019 2:00 AM

Dec 2014
well that was fun....but I may have watched in 2x speed... the show has been good and all but I thought it was dragged out...good episode overall
Dec 22, 2019 2:08 AM
Aug 2018
Not gonna lie man kaido did lot fuss to fight which makes him looks pathetic. Where as in manga it's just badass man.. In anime he raged out like shit and luffy sounds like goku in some parts...
Dec 22, 2019 2:12 AM

Oct 2017
RIP Luffy, one hit from Kaido and he's down. The animation was great once again.
Dec 22, 2019 2:13 AM

Aug 2015
F8L-Fool said:
All that build up just to get dropped by a SINGLE attack. 915 episodes of power progression and training culminates in this. Really?

That's 0-2 against Emperor's of the Sea. Not just losses, but total and complete domination without so much as putting a scratch on either Kaido or Big Mom. In back-to-back arcs no less.

I honestly don't even know what to expect from this show anymore. Virtually everything after the Summit War has been a pretty big letdown.

I just have one question. Were you actually expecting Luffy to fight toe to toe against Kaido?
Luffy have been barely handling his own fights since Cracker, and even on that one he neede Nami to win. He barely won against Katakuri and couldn't do shit to Big Mom. Why would be different now? It would have made 0 sense.

By the way, the anime made him look way stronger and overall fair against Kaido. In the manga he got one shotted in less than 13 pages, and the last hit look effortless.

Here you can see it. That was it, no epic showdown or Dragon Ball impact, just speedblitz > KO

Dec 22, 2019 2:17 AM

Aug 2013
I never thought that One Piece will have a great animation one day.
Dec 22, 2019 2:52 AM

Apr 2017
Piece of shit episode. Kaido was basically asleep when he one shot Luffy in the manga. Here they drag out half a chapter into 3 episodes to make it look slightly competitive...

Horseshit!
Dec 22, 2019 3:34 AM

Nov 2012
F8L-Fool said:

I disagree, the power scaling is done well. The way he was portrayed as an unstoppable powerhouse after the Katakuri fight with the future sight and the hype as the 5th emperor by Morgan's made him look really strong, then comes Kaido and lays down the reality of the situation: Luffy is still way below the standard of an emperor and is a brat that's just playing little pirate games.

Also he is going to get stronger soon in this very arc, and no it's not going to be an out of the blue powerup never seen before.
Dec 22, 2019 3:51 AM

Dec 2013
Not a big fan of the whole "aura" thing, but the episode was good nonetheless.
Dec 22, 2019 3:58 AM

Aug 2018
If it's 1 on 1, bet on Kaido. Luffy got baby shaked, he must have thought he was in the Fairy Tail verse.

Welp, Luffy is dead, wonder who the new MC will be.
Dec 22, 2019 4:27 AM
Dec 2019
Zeusico said:
If it's 1 on 1, bet on Kaido. Luffy got baby shaked, he must have thought he was in the Fairy Tail verse.

Pakumen- said:
F8L-Fool said:

I just have one question. Were you actually expecting Luffy to fight toe to toe against Kaido?
Luffy have been barely handling his own fights since Cracker, and even on that one he neede Nami to win. He barely won against Katakuri and couldn't do shit to Big Mom. Why would be different now? It would have made 0 sense.

By the way, the anime made him look way stronger and overall fair against Kaido. In the manga he got one shotted in less than 13 pages, and the last hit look effortless.

Here you can see it. That was it, no epic showdown or Dragon Ball impact, just speedblitz > KO

I feel Oda wanted to added King kong gun but the manga does limit the volume pages and he staight up skipped it so that he don't wanted another Dressrossa pacing again. ...In pre-time skip fights Oda does expanded fights more than today.
Dec 22, 2019 4:28 AM

Nov 2012
Zeusico said:

The joke seems funny until the preview clearly shows he's fine.
Dec 22, 2019 4:54 AM
Jul 2018
I suspect that the Anime staff resorted to more of a business move while neglecting the authenticity of the manga. As in an attempt to make Luffy lose the battle on a grander yet glaringly slower note than he actually did in the manga. Perhaps they, however controversial it may be, want to protect their biggest asset (Luffy) by making him shine beyond his actual capabilities.

I understand the complaints but eeeh... whatever. What I really care about is how they will elevate and utilize Zoro during this arc.

Loved the animation regardless.
Dec 22, 2019 4:58 AM

Jun 2015
Broooooo this shit was epic af, luffy's fucked tho.
Dec 22, 2019 6:14 AM
Oct 2018
Incredible episode. And once again, all the manga readers assembled here to complain about pacing. No idea why they even watch it. Just read the black and white pages and be done with it. Lmao, anime >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> manga
Dec 22, 2019 6:32 AM

Mar 2018
Is the red aura around Luffy haki?

Otherwise, solid episode.
Dec 22, 2019 7:05 AM

Aug 2018
MichaelAmpao said:
Zeusico said:

Pakumen- said:

I feel Oda wanted to added King kong gun but the manga does limit the volume pages and he staight up skipped it so that he don't wanted another Dressrossa pacing again. ...In pre-time skip fights Oda does expanded fights more than today.

Just to make myself clear: The fight ended exactly as it should have. It would have made no sense for Luffy to beat Kaido with his current skills. He only has advanced observation haki. He still needs to improve the rest of his skills. Kaido only tanked all of Luffy's attacks to see whether or not he could damage/kill him. Remember, Kaido wants to die. He even tried jumping off Sky Island to kill himself. This also explains why Kaido didn't even bother to use armament haki during the "fight". Anyways, just throwing in my 2 cents. :)

SwordRed said:
Zeusico said:

The joke seems funny until the preview clearly shows he's fine.

It's just a dumb joke. Don't think we need the preview to tell us Luffy will be fine, just like he has been the last 20 years of near death experiences. :D

TheTexhnolyzed said:
Is the red aura around Luffy haki?

Thought about this too. It's not in the manga, so it's something Toei added...
ZeusicoDec 22, 2019 12:38 PM
Dec 22, 2019 8:34 AM

Nov 2016
Aside from the fact that the toughness of Kaidos skin wasn't highlighted this episode also undermined Kaido's speed.

Clean and simple, like a true boss.

Dec 22, 2019 10:33 AM
Oct 2019
F8L-Fool said:

That's exactly what's the Manga readers can't accept Almost in the entire series Luffy never changes or get strong enough as he should be the entire 2 Year Timeskip has been a failure and worthless No matter how much *Strong* you see Luffy in the series or seems like grown *Strong* he almost always stays the Same ( Big Mom arc ) and ( Kaido arc ) Luffy started weak , Stayed Weak not much of progress on Oda's part he's milking the series just to prolong it for Money.
Dec 22, 2019 10:42 AM
Oct 2019
Pakumen- said:
F8L-Fool said:

Luffy started weak , Stayed Weak not much of progress on Oda's part he's milking the series just to prolong it for Money. Nothing more. Exclude all those filler characters , Yes I'm talking about Wano Pirates characters , Wano could be finished in less than 30 chapters The Entire 2 Years of Training has been BS and non existent and a joke.
Dec 22, 2019 10:47 AM

Nov 2012
Mazetriple100 said:
Pakumen- said:

Luffy started weak , Stayed Weak not much of progress on Oda's part he's milking the series just to prolong it for Money. Nothing more. Exclude all those filler characters , Yes I'm talking about Wano Pirates characters , Wano could be finished in less than 30 chapters The Entire 2 Years of Training has been BS and non existent and a joke.

I know it's you Amelia stop hiding behind an alt you coward.
Dec 22, 2019 10:55 AM
Apr 2015
Can somebody please inform TOEI that with their useless - non existent aura shit, they are just destroying the show?
If I wanted to watch Dragonball, I WOULD WATCH DRAGONBALL.
All these years following both the anime and the manga, I've learned to live with extended fights, added content of little significance, etc (which are needed for obvious reasons).
BUT, suddenly, for the last 2 episodes, I find myself watching something that is NOT One Piece (due to the special effects during battle - I will not even mention the whole Luffy vs Kaido battle deviance from the manga - WHICH IS THE ACTUAL SCENARIO).

After 15 years, I'm seriously thinking of dropping the show.
ChMelDec 22, 2019 11:02 AM
Dec 22, 2019 12:13 PM

Jul 2008
Okay after all those attacks, Luffy didn't even scratch Kaido and Kaido OHKO's him....while drunk.

Yeah we're in trouble folks.
Dec 22, 2019 12:13 PM

Dec 2012
6 pages adapted. 2/5
Dec 22, 2019 12:16 PM

Nov 2017
Magnificent episode!

The end of the fight between Luffy and Kaido is CRAZY!

Except that Luffy was destroyed when Kaido seriously went into battle.
Dec 22, 2019 12:34 PM

Sep 2016
Another terrible episode, they stretch the whole thing so much that it felt like a fight instead of a quick showdown (And again, this WASN'T SUPPOSED TO BE A FIGHT AND IT WASN'T SUPPOSED TO BE THIS FUCKING LONG) and on top of that, Kaido felt like a glorified punching bag when in the manga he took two blows and interrumpted Luffy's flurry of blows with a massive strike.

The animation was okay but they turned the whole thing into a random DBZ episode and Luffy felt like Goku with that Kaio ken bullshit.

The only well adapted scenes imo were the last ones.

Btw, are they going to skip that manga chapter? The preview got me a little bit confused with that.
Dec 22, 2019 3:02 PM

Aug 2015
Mazetriple100 said:

If you thought that Luffy was going to be an overpowered machine just by learning the basics of Haki, then you don´t understand the progression system of One Piece. Luffy is barely above a Shichibukai level, since he have struggle against every single Yonko Commander he have fight so far.

This is not Fairy Tail, here you don´t move from 10 to 100 in a year or something, and if that was the case, it will contradict the entire plot. Do you know that Roger started like a young adult and became the pirate came being a 30 - 40 years old dude right? Because it wouldn´t make any sense in any other way.

Hell, even Naruto and Bleach respected their own power system the first time they tried the timeskip technique. But then you see bullshit like Naruto having 3 different modes in one day, who made them go from Jonin to the strongest dude ever. If you want that in One Piece, please stop.

----------------------------------------------------------

The red aura thing "kinda" exists in the manga, I guess they are just giving the viewer a few clues so the manga readers can tell as well. But I am pretty sure that´s how Luffy is going to look at the end of the Wano arc.

Dec 22, 2019 3:15 PM

Oct 2017
FMmatron said:
Aside from the fact that the toughness of Kaidos skin wasn't highlighted this episode also undermined Kaido's speed.

Sir, I have to certainly disagree with you.
The anime is not the same as the manga.
The way in that Oda developes story on a few pages and panels is fastest than some others shonen manga's. You should know that.

The animation it's so much interesting and with so much action.
If you just want to see the stuff same as manga, better just read the manga and don't see the anime instead of trow shit on every episode did with a so damn good animation as this. Because this quality show it doen't deserve it.
Ant161718Dec 22, 2019 3:42 PM
-¡Give yourself to me!
Dec 22, 2019 3:35 PM

Oct 2017
I just still not undertand what all the people is so dissapointed about the great production job it's producers been making with this arc and specially action parts.
I read the manga too and I know perfectly how things are different between manga and anime.
Anime must to be entertaining and made public feel hyped, if people no undertand this big diferences, better not see the anime instead always trow shit. OP it's not gonna stay forever, the end is close.

Can't everyone just not to be so fucking perfectionists and pickies all the time?

Because it's so annoying, in my opinion, it is better for you not to bother to see something that you dislike and criticize at every opportunity.
-¡Give yourself to me!
Dec 22, 2019 3:40 PM

Nov 2016
Ant161718 said:
FMmatron said:

The way in that Oda developes story on a few pages and panels is fastest than some others shonen manga's. You should know that.

If you just want to see the stuff same as manga, better just read the manga and don't see the anime instead of trow shit on every episode did with a so damn good animation as this. Because this quality show it don't deserve it.

You are allowed to disagree with me. But for the next time, I recommend you to pick some arguments that give at least the impression that you put some thought into them.

Dec 22, 2019 3:48 PM

Oct 2017
FMmatron said:
Ant161718 said:

If you just want to see the stuff same as manga, better just read the manga and don't see the anime instead of trow shit on every episode did with a so damn good animation as this. Because this quality show it don't deserve it.

You are allowed to disagree with me. But for the next time, I recommend you to pick some arguments that give at least the impression that you put some thought into them.
The argument is simple, perhaps what happens is that you did not understand it at all.
Actually, it is not necessary to put so much effort into thinking or understanding.
If you just want to see exactly the manga content portrayed in the anime, you better give it up, because it's something that will never happen.
If you prefer things to be 100% faithful, it is better that you just follow the manga.
-¡Give yourself to me!
Dec 22, 2019 5:47 PM

Jul 2007
Ant161718 said:
I just still not undertand what all the people is so dissapointed about the great production job it's producers been making with this arc and specially action parts.
I read the manga too and I know perfectly how things are different between manga and anime.
Anime must to be entertaining and made public feel hyped, if people no undertand this big diferences, better not see the anime instead always trow shit. OP it's not gonna stay forever, the end is close.

Can't everyone just not to be so fucking perfectionists and pickies all the time?

Because it's so annoying, in my opinion, it is better for you not to bother to see something that you dislike and criticize at every opportunity.

There is nothing wrong with the scale of budget being used in this arc, obviously its evident to everyone that one piece has never looked so amazing but the issue that alot of people have concerns about even my self is this new director is taking to many liberties upon changing the portrayal of how certain scenes play out. Which can potentially cause a different perspective of the story and may even cause contradictions in the plot it self. Previous directors never did this and even though the budget was not as good, and the pacing was pretty bad, the presence of the story was still every bit fully adapted from the mind of ODA. Nothing was changed, like in the case of the reverie which was pretty bad how they changed the way sabo first appeared, the impact wasn't as strong thus lessening the quality of the way oda structures and dictates his story.

Lets get something straight right now, the studio are not the writers, they are to adapt the material, oda is the writer and it should remain like so. I just hope the director doesn't get a little out of hand with this in the future chapters and changes how things are supposed to be conveyed in the story.

Just to give you a hypothetical, this fight is not even the real fight against kaido with such stakes risen so high in this one battle where luffy was able still go head to head against kaido and not be completely obliterated, how is this going to change events that will transpire in the future when oda reveals the true war and battle. People may think "but didn't luffy go head to head against this monster by him self and he even has a larger boost in power and now he suddenly has to have every ones help to take this guy down" the rules don't track but its all because the writer of the anime changed the earlier events of the story and luffy was conveyed like some sort of power house super saiyan that was able to withstand kaido's attack by him self, despite that now we are dealing with a full scale war with 50,000 subordinates.

Though to mention something positive, i really really loved the Final Fantasy like Orchestrated music they used in this episode. I really hope the studio continues to use music like this during some of these more intense epic moments. I can picture that song playing when the island of raftel lifts from bottom of the sea.
ArtimesGamerDec 22, 2019 6:03 PM

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 110 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kaizokuou - Nov 20, 2009

68 by Ratris_Decision »»
40 minutes ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1015 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AhriTheS3xyFox - Apr 23, 2022

484 by tracycool »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1105 Discussion ( 1 2 )

IzanaSolos - May 18

51 by Ridzaxster »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 479 Discussion ( 1 2 )

JusticeGundam - Dec 11, 2010

86 by gannoncannon55 »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 478 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

JusticeGundam - Dec 4, 2010

109 by gannoncannon55 »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.