Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 30, 2019 7:31 AM

Feb 2019
Do you enjoy watching the common love triangle tropes that you'll see in romance drama or harem etc. shows?

Personally, I don't really like triangles all that much because if my best girl doesn't win then I'll be sad. What are your thoughts about triangles? Do you love them, hate them, or have a different opinion about it?
Nov 30, 2019 7:58 AM
Apr 2016
"Love triangle" is a concept in stories which depicts romantic development between more than two people. True love only takes two to tango. Love triangle is, then, a source of extreme amount of drama which receives a lot of positive responses from viewers. I can not talk about how real it is, but almost everywhere I have seen it... it did not end well. It did end in the way one would consider most dignified. But hearts were broken and people were rejected.
Re:formed
Nov 30, 2019 8:24 AM

Feb 2018
In my opinion, Love traingles are horrible. All they do is create bs drama and including something like NTR makes it even worse, eg: White Album 2.
Nov 30, 2019 8:30 AM

Jan 2009
it creates controversy and as they say controversy equals ratings

but personally i hate it too why cannot they just make a harem ending?

Nov 30, 2019 8:36 AM

Aug 2016
I hate it most of the time because the relationships feel forced as hell, not to mention they tend to rely heavily on absurd contrivances in order to create drama.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Nov 30, 2019 8:50 AM

Dec 2018
I dont like that. Almost every time it ends up with one very sad heartbroken lesbian.And that makes me fucking furies! To much drama often piss me off!! I want my angels to be happy , Therefor triangles are noting I in general enjoy

But there are some exceptions Kashimashi girl meets girl is one of them

But that is a rare case ,Often I cant stand triangle drama!!

Yuri-CrusaderNov 30, 2019 8:57 AM
Nov 30, 2019 8:57 AM

Nov 2019
Love triangles themselves don't bother me if the characters themselves are interesting. A good love triangle (to me) also won't be an isolated self-contained sub-plot, but well integrated into the overall conflict driving the story, giving it another layer of depth and/or complexity.

If you're getting bored of some literary device or narrative tool, that doesn't mean the tool itself is flawed or even overdone. It means you've consumed an ass-ton of anime, but are too lazy/uncreative to write your own anime with something new, so instead you come to forums and make a veiled brag about your hours of viewed anime under the pretext of being jaded.
Nov 30, 2019 10:05 AM

Jul 2017
I don't really like them all too much. Almost all the time it's obvious who's gonna win and it's usually the 1st girl/guy or the one who made the biggest impact early on. Most of the time though they're the worse option.

Most of the time it really ruins what good vibes the show was getting. Classroom Crisis is one that was completely killed by the sudden introduction of a love triangle at the very end

There's only a very few amount of shows that tried to go the unique route with love triangle conclusions, but they still manage to pick worst girl anyways lol cough Anthem of the Heart cough
Nov 30, 2019 10:08 AM
May 2019
Yes I do enjoy love triangles, they are my favorite type of romance^^
Macross is my favorite love triangle anime.
Nov 30, 2019 10:19 AM

Oct 2008
I like messy triangles, with very heavy themes. If there is going to be a love triangle, make it brutal. Otherwise you won't get me to care who gets chosen in the end. Intrigue, violence, conflict, wicked plots and betrayal is what would satisfy me.
Nov 30, 2019 10:21 AM

Mar 2016
Love triangles usually make me want to pull my hair out.
Nov 30, 2019 10:22 AM

Nov 2008
I'd rather it just be about two in love...unless all three of the characters are like best friends and the writing's really good.

Then you can have an OT3. xD

Nov 30, 2019 10:47 AM
Jul 2018
From the love triangles I know(i.e Peach Girl, Baka no Test, Vampire Knights, and Fruits Basket), I tend to notice is that a lot of them have the two characters highly contrasting each other. For instance, Yuki's calmer, quiet, and well-mannered way of behaving is the complete opposite of Kyo's rude, loud and rowdy way of acting(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQt3vBUEBNg). Another example would be Peach Girl's two love interests. Toji being more serious and Okayasu being more energetic.(both of which is conveyed through the character designs and most frequent facial expressions). The duality is usually something I enjoy when the two characters interact with each other the personalities are highlighted in their differences. Also, unlike a lot of people, I'm not bothered by indecisive characters, as long as there's a good reason for it.
Anyway, to answer the question I enjoy a lot of love triangles and all the shows with them have gotten at least a 6/10.
Nov 30, 2019 12:38 PM

Nov 2008
Peaceful_Critic said:
From the love triangles I know(i.e Peach Girl, Baka no Test, Vampire Knights, and Fruits Basket), I tend to notice is that a lot of them have the two characters highly contrasting each other.

Yep, this trope is called Red Oni/Blue Oni.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RedOniBlueOni

I'm normally on the Red Oni's team...though there are exceptions.

Nov 30, 2019 12:41 PM
Jul 2018
Chiibi said:
Peaceful_Critic said:
From the love triangles I know(i.e Peach Girl, Baka no Test, Vampire Knights, and Fruits Basket), I tend to notice is that a lot of them have the two characters highly contrasting each other.

Ah, thanks. That's useful, I didn't know there was a term for it.
Nov 30, 2019 12:52 PM

Nov 2008
^I didn't know A LOT of things before finding TV Tropes. xD

Nov 30, 2019 3:43 PM

Jul 2017
Peaceful_Critic said:
Chiibi said:

Ah, thanks. That's useful, I didn't know there was a term for it.

I've always known it as Betty and Veronica...
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BettyAndVeronica

I suppose either one works though.

Nov 30, 2019 3:55 PM
Jul 2018
Personally, I'm tired of love triangles. One person always end up hurt in the end and that person is usually the one I like.
Nov 30, 2019 4:51 PM
Nov 2019
For me it's okay, but it's not the best thing, at the end someone is hurt and sad... And now I feel like almost all of the romance I have watched has that.
Nov 30, 2019 5:47 PM
Jul 2018
Depends on the development and if they have good chemistry with each other, but I dislike these love triangles that are just thrown in to have one and are shallow.
Dec 1, 2019 8:05 AM

Mar 2012
I usually dislike them since the boy/girl I like never wins in the end, the winners are always the ones who abuse the MC the most because that's "development" apparently. I dislike it even further when the MC has mutual feelings for someone but then ends up with another person. I prefer when there's only one love interest right from the beginning.
Dec 1, 2019 8:30 AM

Oct 2018
Maou_heika said:
I usually dislike them since the boy/girl I like never wins in the end, the winners are always the ones who abuse the MC the most because that's "development" apparently. I dislike it even further when the MC has mutual feelings for someone but then ends up with another person. I prefer when there's only one love interest right from the beginning.

Agreed, I hate seeing characters that have acted like a bitch towards the MC but still end up getting together with him. For instance in Neon Genesis Evangelion, for some reason the MC ends up with Asuka, when him and Rei both share mutual feelings.
Dec 8, 2019 6:14 PM

Jul 2015
I personally like love triangles and dare say it is one of my favorite genres in animes. All the drama involved makes the love triangle even better, I know it kind of makes me feel brutally emotional and sometimes I get to be sad or feel somewhat depressive for no reason after finishing an dramatic anime, but I like it this void. Yeah...maybe I am a masochist lol
Dec 9, 2019 10:53 AM

May 2019
I don't hate those triangles, but I don't especially enjoy them either. In almost every case the drama surrounding it isn't fun to follow, the whole thing feels somewhat unrealistic and one character is in one way or the other ending up with a broken heart. ( ._.) If it's the chara I cheered on and shipped, I'm going to be sad.
Dec 9, 2019 10:59 AM

Feb 2018
I'm a literal sucker for those, even when they hurt me and scar me for life.Usually, I stick to a certain ship and turn into an emotional mess when they even SLIGHTLY seem like they're parting, even for a few episodes.

Dec 9, 2019 11:16 AM
Jul 2018
Shirou x Archer x Rin is the only love triangle I stick to.
Dec 9, 2019 11:20 AM

Dec 2016
Love triangles create some spice but it makes me sad when someone loses in the end ...
Dec 9, 2019 3:01 PM

Jul 2011
No I hate them, it's always the same shit.

Dec 9, 2019 8:22 PM

Jan 2018
Not really, its usually the same thing and in the end of the love triangle, at least one heart will always be broken.
ええ、私はそこにいてそれをやった

Dec 9, 2019 8:39 PM
Jan 2015
No real big issue with them, except that they give fans false hope like Yui fans in oregairu.
My Queens

Dec 12, 2019 4:55 PM

Jul 2015
Nick-Knight said:

whats the name of the manga/anime plss?

I actually thought love triangles were more popular, its clearly not the case though lol
Dec 12, 2019 4:59 PM

Sep 2019
I'm not wild about a love triangle.

A love dodecahedron, on the other hand...
Dec 12, 2019 5:01 PM
Jul 2018
ericty said:
Nick-Knight said:

whats the name of the manga/anime plss?

I actually thought love triangles were more popular, its clearly not the case though lol

Fate/stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works.
Dec 12, 2019 5:08 PM

Jul 2016
The execution needs to be close to perfect and not prolonged until the end of the series, then it's ok to me.
On all the other cases, it's annoying as fuck.
It should be just a small/quick part of the plot and not the main part of it, all the animes that I've seen and did it like I said, gave a pretty satisfying narrative.
DooMWhiteDec 12, 2019 5:12 PM

In most cases, the MAL Average Scores don't mean anything, here is a question: were the works made before 2000 all shit?
Why are they so damn scarce in the Top 50? Think about how MAL is quite literally a filtered amount of the Anime fanbase.

Here's a timeline of the Top 15 in which you can check that, almost always, the scores are affected by the freshness, popularity and other factors that have nothing to do with quality.

More topics from this board

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others? ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Today

51 by Lucifrost »»
52 seconds ago

» have you guys watched texhnolyze?

brainburger - Apr 21

39 by Hikinekomori »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

61 by AzafuseKingTora »»
4 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - Yesterday

49 by Ratris_Decision »»
4 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18? ( 1 2 )

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

57 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.