Forum Settings
Forums

why people watch anime just to give low score?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 5, 2019 5:36 AM

Mar 2017
For me personally, I tend to be a completionist. Even if I don't like an anime very much I'll usually finish it anyway (at least if it's not much longer than about 2-cour; if it's much beyond that I'd be more likely to drop it from a time management perspective). So far it's only happened once that I found an anime so unpleasant to watch that I had to drop it after a few episodes.

Many viewers aren't comfortable scoring an anime they didn't complete, and we can assume that on average, those who completed it scored it higher than those who didn't likely would have. You might say that on the whole it balances out, but you can check this by looking at the stats and figuring out the completed vs. dropped ratio is. After looking at several dozen anime that were completed and were one or two cour in length, I noted that typically the dropped was about 3-4% of completed. Some were lower, and a couple were much higher, above 10%. A high drop percentage tells me it probably deserves a lower score than it has.

If you're going to look at this, keep a few things in mind. Movies and single-episode specials and OVAs nearly always have a pretty low drop rate regardless. Longer running series (especially >100 episodes) get more time-management drops and shouldn't be dinged as much as shorter series. And it only gives reasonable results for completed series and is all but useless for currently airing series.
A møøse once bit my sister...
Nov 5, 2019 6:01 AM

Feb 2013
Joining the 'I'm not a quitter' club. I have a bad habit of finishing every anime I start, just because that's what I do.

Items I have on my 'Planning to watch' list are ones I have read about before, seen trailers/screenshots of and the ones that caught my attention, therefore giving me the impression I will enjoy them. However, the same as with judging the book by its cover, you can't say whether you will like the anime by simply seeing bits and bobs of it thrown around.

I have previously taken 2 years to finish 26 episodes of the anime I totally despised, and this gave me an insight HS romance is not my thing... So I avoid the genre. However, there are ones from the genre I was impressed with, and I've only stumbled across them because they had another genre listed along. In other words, you can never know what will you like or not.

There are plenty of series I had super high hopes for, but they have disappointed me and therefore got a shit rating. There are series I wasn't sure how tf did they appear on my 'Planning to watch' list, and they became the case of many rewatches because they're brilliant.

So yeah. Your question is pretty dumb.

Nov 5, 2019 6:05 AM
Sep 2019
Kaiser-chan said:
Because if you give everything 10 or 9, it loses all meaning. There's no way Charlotte is as good as Steins Gate but that's what your score says.

True. If everything were a 9 or 10 then they'll just be, in every sense, mediocre. Gotta have the bad to appreciate the good. That's how you compose a personal bar for your own tastes. Also, sometimes watching an entire series the only way to judge the quality of something.
Ya boy is going to Con Alt Delete 2020! See you there!

Nov 5, 2019 6:30 AM

Oct 2010
I was really curious about flcl alt, I didn't watch it to score it a 2, it's not my fault the anime is bad. And if I started it, why bother dropping it? It's just 2 hours.
Nov 5, 2019 6:32 AM

Jul 2016
I think there can be multiple reasons:

First and foremost the most obvious: there are people who like to waste their time, I've heard rumors they're called "completionists". They don't get enjoyment out of anime but out of their ever-expanding collection. A concept that I can relate to to an extend, but personally I'm way too impatient for that shit.

Next up there could be some sort of intrigue set up by a show, that makes one feel like they want to see how it plays out, while it doesn't matter if you expect it to turn out good or bad. WHAT intrigues you varies from person to person, but I think a good example of this is NouCome, where the whole premise of it is based around the idea of "what scenarios could possible arise from this premise". Of course as the show goes on, you get kind of a grasp of what scenarios will arise in the future, though I feel like the intrigue often prevails, even if you start to think you won't like it.

Then there is the fetish. Some aspect to a show that makes you desperate to see it done well, even though it hasn't been so far. This varies heavily from person to person, for me it's often boys with cute designs that I really want to like, an example of this would be Owari no Seraph, where I ended up hating them from start to finish. There are certainly people who can overlook negative aspects when it serves their fetish - I sometimes can, but I also have a fetish for satisfying writing, which makes me way less easy than most Fujoshis in that regard.

Lastly there are anime that you just want to have an opinion on. That could stem from mutliple reasons, be it because it's talked about in communities you're in and you want to join the conversation. Or because you have some sort of connection to it or maybe it even has things you love to hate. There are many reasons for it that are often subjective and based around circumstances aswell. I for example was only powering through Re:Zero because my friend and I were watching it together and he really wanted my opinion on it.

Hope that opened your mind a bit.
Nov 5, 2019 6:58 AM

Sep 2019
deg said:
they are more critical thats for sure, im trying to have more critical scoring too now a days for the sake of my 10/10 scores and lets face it not every anime is very good or 8/10 anyway especially if you have seen a lot of anime already
You are most critical about animation from what I've known you.
"I think I wanted to attack something. Like betraying people or hurting people. And, well, it's not exactly nice, but hurting the readers too... In all honestly, I feel that's what I really wanted to do. For me, as a reader, when I think, "this manga will remain in my heart," it means, for example, it phenomenally hurt me: It's those kinds of experiences I'm after." - Pajime Hisayama (My favourite hurting author).
Nov 5, 2019 7:40 AM

May 2016
Reason 1: I don't like to drop anime.
Reason 2: I like a lot of concepts for anime, I rate it based on how it's executed.
Reason 3: Hard to differ between good and bad anime if you only watch "good" anime.
Reason 4: If I watch something with a low score, and I too give it a low score, after watching it, I can then discuss why it's bad or why I rated it low.
Reason 5: I enjoy watching movies that are so bad, they're good/entertaining, so why not do the same with anime.
Nov 5, 2019 8:22 AM

Jan 2016
Because if I dropped an anime I hated then rated it people who like that anime will probably say 'You can't rate it because you didn't finish it' or something like that , so I try my best not to drop anything even if it's trash and too boring.
The word elitist is stupid since it's just used by people who can't defend their favorite shows and use it on people who criticize their favorite shows.
Nov 5, 2019 9:04 AM

Nov 2012
I think it's fun to watch bad anime just to laugh at how bad they are. Plus it makes good anime seem better by comparison. I've actually really enjoyed watching many of my lowest-scored anime, such as Onara Gorou and Abunai sisters, because, while they are bad from a technical standpoint, they are a lot of fun to watch just because of how ridiculous they are.
Nov 5, 2019 9:57 AM

Jan 2019
I like to watch anime through, and for the most part at least for me anime that I've given a low score usually has a great start that appeals to me and then fall short towards the end of the show.
Nov 5, 2019 10:02 AM

Apr 2019
sazar said:
Hello, i see many people that watch anime and put low scores on them. I mean why watch something you know you will not like? You do not watch all movies or TV shows, but chose by genre so why watch anime you probably will not like?
What makes you think a low score equals low enjoyment? For example, a wholesome CGDCT slice of life such as Non Non Biyori Repeat gets a 5/10 from me because it is short, has no story, and no character development. And yet it's one of the most relaxing and campfire-like shows, I really enjoyed it. Similar arguments hold for other genres with natural disadvantages, such as shorts or ecchi/hentai.

And yup, there are anime I watch because I expect them to be really bad, which can be enjoyable in it's own campy right. E.g. the Violence Jack Trilogy or trainwrecks like Dark Cat. A trainwreck can be quite entertaining if you are in the mood.
inimNov 5, 2019 10:08 AM

Nov 5, 2019 10:47 AM

Aug 2016
I only watch good anime so its rare that I score something below 8.
Nov 5, 2019 1:30 PM

Dec 2017
Your ratings is everything that is wrong with the rating system on MAL.

"Didn't really enjoy this anime but let's go ahead and rate it: On my scale of 8 to 10 that is"

Simply pathetic.
Nov 5, 2019 2:09 PM

Aug 2013
Because everyone here secretly hates anime.

What, did you expect people came here because they actually liked anime? It's almost as if the site is called myanimelist or something.
Nov 5, 2019 2:14 PM

Aug 2017
Why people watch anime just to give high score?
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Nov 5, 2019 2:19 PM
Feb 2018
Kaiser-chan said:
Because if you give everything 10 or 9, it loses all meaning. There's no way Charlotte is as good as Steins Gate but that's what your score says.

That's quite the loaded statement. While sure I personally would agree that Steins Gate is superior to Charlotte and on average the majority would agree with us your own rating should be based upon your view of the series. After all it is called 'my' anime list, you are supposed to share your own rating of the series based upon your enjoyment of it not just reflect what the ratings of others say unless you truly agree with them. For instance, I personally rate Clannad and Clannad:AS rather low giving them both a 6 in comparison to something like ReLife which I gave a 10. To me at least, ReLife is by far the more enjoyable series and as such deserves the higher rating. However most people disagree with me on that and that's perfectly fine.
Nov 5, 2019 2:24 PM

Jul 2017
the same reason why you gave Aldnoah.Zero 2nd Season a 1...
Nov 5, 2019 2:33 PM

Mar 2017
A lot of the time I watch something that I thought sounded interesting, but it just wasn't that good. If I watch a whole episode and decide to drop it, I'll still rate it based on what I saw. If I keep going it's because I see the potential or just hope that it will get better. Not everything is perfect, and neither are my scores.
Nov 5, 2019 2:34 PM
Oct 2019
Nothing wrong people, its a constant situation in MAL. And users has a right to express their opinion. If its bad its ok to give low score, and if its good then good score.
Nov 5, 2019 3:05 PM
Dec 2017
AlphaOmegaKnight said:
I'm ready to give MHA a 0/10 because it failed to give me anything good other than flat out characters 24/7

exactly i don't know how the writer managed the most generic shounen story in MHA and the worst characters yet it still popular probably because of kids who only care about fights .
he even destroyed bakugo which was the only good writing character for the sake of that crybaby protagonist and that wannaby sasuke of todoroki
Nov 5, 2019 4:19 PM

Feb 2010
You do realize that you are making a completely baseless and toxic assumption, putting words in people's mouths, by assuming that everything people score lowly they planned to score lowly from the start?
I mean you probably don't because even having to ask this questions tells me you are not intelligent enough to think that far ahead and realize how stupid and biased the question is, but you really should have realized that to be honest.

The better question is why do people watch acclaimed or reputable shows when, based on their scores, they like everything the same? If everything is an 8+, why not just watch completely random shows? Since it obviously doesn't matter what you watch or how good it is, because everything ends up getting the same-ish scores. Why do people with 8+ mean scores even research what they are going to watch at all? It makes no sense to me. Seems like a waste of time.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 5, 2019 5:22 PM

Apr 2015
Oh look another thread about people complaining over someone's else score.

How lovely.
Nov 5, 2019 5:26 PM

Aug 2018
People with too much free time on their hands will insist on watching an entire shitty anime and wasting their time just so they can say "I'm a completionist, so.." Lol.
Agreed with OP's post. I can't really understand critics of films, anime etc.. Trying to be elitist online for some ego boost from other elitists and reading into every anime's good and bad points rather than just enjoying it.. Well, if they think that's fulfilling for them, so be it, I don't have any further say on this matter :)
Personally, I put a 7 if I think the anime was good. Lower and it was meh didn't enjoy it. Higher, I would most likely watch again in the future!

End of story :D
Nov 6, 2019 12:24 AM

Jul 2019
I find show that seems interesting, then the show turns into a complete shitshow, but I already have watched most of it so I'm going to watch all of it.
that's how it usually works for me. Of course I also watch shows I already know are bad like SAO and SDS. Seven deadly sins season 3 is horrible and that is the reason I watch it. I want to laugh to shitness.
Nov 6, 2019 12:46 AM

Aug 2018
sazar said:
Hello, i see many people that watch anime and put low scores on them. I mean why watch something you know you will not like? You do not watch all movies or TV shows, but chose by genre so why watch anime you probably will not like?

OP himself rates Aldnoah.Zero a 1/10.
Nov 13, 2019 7:00 PM

Sep 2007
Reshiram_IX said:
Nek0 said:
Maybe OP just has shit taste in anime. YEP.
OP watched a hell of a lot more anime than you. The good majority of the little anime you’ve seen are a bunch of unknown garbage titles. Know wonder you rate most of your shows a 5
It's a dirty job, but somebody's got to do it.

Nov 14, 2019 5:00 PM

Aug 2013
Because Statistics work better that way. Also bad shows act as a cautionary tale to constantly improve your tastes. How do you know something sucks when you only consume shows that have only minor flaws or none at all. It is the shortest way to have refined taste or something that resembles it.
Nov 14, 2019 5:59 PM
Aug 2011
i agree with you @KamisamaHatatan but sadly in my case i started anime from watching elfen lied, school days and few other drama's that is why now i can not watch any drama genre anime, movie or tv show......
Nov 15, 2019 1:14 AM

Oct 2008
To quote (not perfectly of course) one of my favorite youtuber. You need to watch both good and bad anime, so that you can tell the difference if you are thinking of
turning anime in to your hobby.
Nov 15, 2019 2:45 AM

Dec 2018
This is where people that have an average below 5 get relentlessly bashed by those who have the same mindset as you OP. It's so simple yet so many seem to merely use intuition instead of critical thinking. If I tell you, in my system, a 4 is an average, and so a 6 is good, but as to yours a 6 might be the lowest, would you call that something "I know I wouldn't like but still watch just to rate lowly anyway?" I thought not, certainly. If you have never thought of what is called "rating system", then your thread is an atrocious one. But still, there are no such "people" watching anime "just to give a low score", like jesus stop using low common sense observation.
. . .
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Do you have a prejudice against people who watch ecchi/hentai? ( 1 2 )

Dragevard - May 9

66 by creepylurker »»
38 seconds ago

» So, what's the oldest anime you've ever watched?

Gashadokur0 - 12 hours ago

37 by ManuelFragment »»
7 minutes ago

» Successor to "Isekai"

NostalgiaDrive94 - Yesterday

25 by Neterosan »»
31 minutes ago

» Describe an anime with zoomer language

ZakuF_ - May 1

19 by Cazqui-09 »»
37 minutes ago

» When did anime become mainstream? Or do you think it's still not mainstream???

LenRea - Yesterday

34 by Suntanned_Duck2 »»
40 minutes ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.