Forum Settings
Forums

Why does Ecchi anime often have pitful ratings (anything below 7)?

New
Oct 8, 2019 10:46 AM

Apr 2017
I never really understood this. It is that MAL's community has issues with ecchi that don't have a lot of depth?
Oct 8, 2019 10:48 AM

Oct 2010
Ecchi tends to be silly so they score it low in comparison to the stuff they like if they like serious stuff. But there are men of culture like ipreferecchi that scores them high. I scored keijo a 9.
Oct 8, 2019 10:50 AM
Mar 2018
Ecchi anime tend to have weak/simple plots, nothing extraordinary, many people rate on the basis of plot.
Oct 8, 2019 10:52 AM

Jul 2013
Most people in MAL are just in denial. The average user will never admit to liking or enjoying ecchi because they think it somehow degrades their character. I recently watched Prison School which is probably one of the best piece of fiction I've ever seen and got surprised it didn't even manage to break the 8.00 mark when it's arguably the best ecchi anime there is.
Oct 8, 2019 10:58 AM

Nov 2017
I suppose most people just kind of find ecchi distasteful because of cultural reasons. Sex is still considered to be somewhat dirty and taboo, so series focusing on titillation don't really appeal that strongly to most people.

That said, a lot of echhi doesn't really have good plots. Or plots in general. Or anything apart from tits, really, so... They can be just kind of bad as well.
Oct 8, 2019 10:59 AM

Oct 2017
Because people didn't liked them enough to have a higher score

Oct 8, 2019 11:01 AM

Jul 2013
I think it pretty much have to do with most ecchi shows focus on the ecchi stuff and forget everything else. They deviate itself from ever having the story, every female character is reduced to sex objects than real people. These are the reasons why I hated ecchi shows like Masou Gauken HxH and Sin:Nanatsu no Taizai (and I consider them my bottom 5 anime of all time). Sure there are some show that can make ecchi interesting like Hensuki and TLR. But stuff like these are few and far between.

Oct 8, 2019 11:05 AM

Oct 2018
Maybe to avoid a Boku No Pico sequel.

サディスティックな考え
"JUST KILL ME."
サディスティックマインド
Oct 8, 2019 11:13 AM

Feb 2017
My opinion on this is that ecchi tend to be fillers for an episode. The nature and circumstances of an ecchi scene in general do not affect the plot in any way. I dont mind ecchi itself but they usually tend to spend several minutes on such scenes which kind of breaks the plot continuity that I like to have. They also dont contribute much to the story and sometimes the plot itself is forced in a way to result in such scenes. It cannot be helped that being ecchi itself is the selling point of the anime but I watch it for the plot and fights if any.
Best ending line in anime history = "My name is Saiki Kusuo. I am a psychic."
Oct 8, 2019 11:20 AM

Jul 2017
ay man, i love boobs and ass, but if its just that, and it doesnt have good plots and fanservice is all they got,
then im sorry but im gonna have to yeet it in the dumpster

if i wanted to see some boobs and ass i would have watched a hentai and not wasted my time with trash like that
<3 "Nothing compares to Dark Enchantress Cookie's greatness!" <3
Oct 8, 2019 11:20 AM
Sep 2018
There’s a lot of anime where ecchi is the main thing and that’s that, it doesn’t have any story besides fan service. But there’s some that have a good story using ecchi.
Oct 8, 2019 11:27 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
I'm not entirely unconvinced there's not a large amount pre-dispotion at play. "This show is prioritizing sexualization, therefore nothing else is going to be worthwhile." Enter anything with a pre-determined outlook then it's not too difficult to mold your perception around what you've already built it up to be going into it, regardless of whether it's the case or not. You already see that sentiment echoing in the responses in this thread, for what it's worth, all I had to do was look above me.

Not like it matters, though. Ecchi has a very dedicated audience on any side of the ocean and we put a lot more into our niche than a lot of other audiences do, let alone the type of people effectively scorebombing it on sites like this, who very likely put absolutely nothing into supporting these works. Dumb criticisms coming from non-fans are more of an annoyance than a threat.

Just do you and pay the non-fans little mind on topics like this, unless they prove themselves otherwise individually. Only insane people like me venture out to deal with them, and there's a reason for that. The majority of their complaints and issues hold no bearing on the things that make people who like ecchi actually like it, and often times barely feel critical as much as projecting at that.
ManabanOct 8, 2019 11:32 AM

Oct 8, 2019 11:30 AM

Sep 2018
I think this is just a matter of taste.
Jolyne Kuujou + Steel Ball Run Universe = Billie Eillish
Oct 8, 2019 11:44 AM

Feb 2017
The Puritan fears the animated tiddy

Seriously though, it's astounding how many people feel that it's wrong to like stuff like this or even if they do, refer to it as a guilty pleasure. Since ecchi is usually light and fluffy they take that to mean that there is no substance to be found. That's not to say that all ecchi material should be highly regarded critical material, but that often times isn't given a fair chance.
𝘼 𝙨𝙤𝙪𝙣𝙙 𝙨𝙤𝙪𝙡 𝙙𝙬𝙚𝙡𝙡𝙨 𝙬𝙞𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙣 𝙖 𝙨𝙤𝙪𝙣𝙙 𝙢𝙞𝙣𝙙 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙖 𝙨𝙤𝙪𝙣𝙙 𝙗𝙤𝙙𝙮
Oct 8, 2019 11:48 AM

Mar 2019
lowkey dont understand why either there r some ecchi anime out there tht i lowkey enjoyed
Oct 8, 2019 11:53 AM
May 2019
Out of 739 ecchi anime on MAL 200 of them have rating above 7, as you can see they are not that hated.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/genre/9/Ecchi?page=2
Oct 8, 2019 11:56 AM

Dec 2008
I feel like echi and harem exist to satisfy men's sexual/romantic fantasies so the female characters in those genres exist only for those purposes and are usually stereotypical flat characters with no real personality or desires. Therefore I usually avoid those, knowing I won't like watching them.
That being said, on some rare occasions, when the echi is not the focus of the anime, just a by-product of the story - for example, if the story is about adult relationship - then it can be intresting and enjoying to watch. I liked Kill la Kill which was full of echi, for example.
I mean I get that this genre have it's fans, but they watch it for a reason and its not to enjoy an intresting story.

Oct 8, 2019 11:58 AM
Jul 2018
Ecchi is annoying to me on two levels. Firstly because its usually underage boys and girls. Secondly because I'm watching for the plot and Ecchi anime doesn't really have a plot. Also I don't like fan-service in non-ecchi anime.

I do understand that it ins't for everyone. Personally, I like to keep things separate. If I'm feeling hot I'll watch something hardcore and whether or not that has any plot is irrelevant to me.

I feel like the people who really love Ecchi have been conditioned that way from a very young age or are likely perverted panty sniffers who have never been in a proper relationship.

As for Harem I'm not really into that either. Firstly because in my belief a man and a woman are supposed to be monogamous (I know other beliefs are fine with multiple wives etc), secondly because in my teens I was a player and broke a few hearts and got mine broken too big time. So not really a fantasy for me. More of a been there done that and don't want to go through that or put anyone else through that again. Besides, I can't afford to get into situations like that now in my early 30s.

Oh and then there is the high school anime. Almost unavoidable. I can't stand all the teenage melodrama since I finished school years ago. I suppose it is really great if you are still in school but when I was in school I only had western cartoons and anime like Pokemon. Very different times. No lolis or anything and it was great!
removed-userOct 8, 2019 12:08 PM
Oct 8, 2019 12:02 PM

Oct 2015
I think many of them are silly and humorous stuff so they don't have much substance compared to other serious works. There are 739 ecchi titles in the database but when you remove those that are also tagged comedy the number drops down to 209. Take that as you will. Also, this is coming from someone who has watched little to no ecchi so it's merely speculation. Don't get your panties in a bunch, thank you.
Oct 8, 2019 12:20 PM

May 2009
Rimiguji said:
I never really understood this. It is that MAL's community has issues with ecchi that don't have a lot of depth?
Hello Suguri.

It mainly has to do with ecchi being a more niche taste and thus if you basically let everyone check it out a greater proportion of people are going to find that it's not their thing.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Oct 8, 2019 12:25 PM

Jan 2016
I like ecchi but generally the plots suck.

Theres a lot of ecchi that really do deserve higher scores than they have though.
Oct 8, 2019 12:25 PM

May 2009
GalacticMagna said:
I think it pretty much have to do with most ecchi shows focus on the ecchi stuff and forget everything else. They deviate itself from ever having the story, every female character is reduced to sex objects than real people.
Honestly, I've found that ecchi shows -- at least the ones I've seen -- often seem to go out of their way to portray ecchiness.

I guess this is a nice thing for those people who are specifically in it for the ecchi, but for those people who aren't, such as myself, the ecchi feels more like a distraction from the actual meat of the show (i.e. the characterization, the plotline, the setting details, etc.).

That's why it feels like "objectification" -- because that's what happens when a writer goes "hey we have some female characters let's make them show off some tits and ass just because we can or because we need to fulfill a requirement".

If I happen to continue watching the show anyway, it usually "gets better" because the show turns down the ecchiness and puts more time and attention into those other core elements of storytelling.

If it were more integrated I think it'd be more enjoyable.
GlennMagusHarveyOct 8, 2019 12:30 PM
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Oct 8, 2019 12:36 PM

Nov 2016
As much as I love the genre compared to everything else I watch/read I really haven't seen a mostly ecchi dominated show that I would grade more than an 8 on the other side though I've also rarely given one less than a 5
JoyBoy_316Oct 8, 2019 12:47 PM
Oct 8, 2019 12:37 PM

Nov 2018
People don't much rate ecchi shows may be they don't found these shows much interesting or what they want to see. But aside these, I really like ecchi shows and also score them high as a normal anime.
"When they're alive, you can enjoy watching them struggle. When they're dead, you can enjoy tearing out their guts. Tales are things you get to enjoy twice."
Oct 8, 2019 1:39 PM

Aug 2016
Tohsaka_Rukia said:
Most people in MAL are just in denial. The average user will never admit to liking or enjoying ecchi because they think it somehow degrades their character. I recently watched Prison School which is probably one of the best piece of fiction I've ever seen and got surprised it didn't even manage to break the 8.00 mark when it's arguably the best ecchi anime there is.

It had been in the 8.00+ mark since the show completed airing until recently.

More topics from this board

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - 11 hours ago

23 by mizukasa »»
2 minutes ago

» Do you wish your culture was more represent in anime?

Spunkert - 2 hours ago

10 by AMBITZZ »»
4 minutes ago

» have you guys watched texhnolyze?

brainburger - Apr 21

42 by KitsuFrost »»
6 minutes ago

» Have you ever divorced your waifu? (ex-waifu)

EndlessMaria - Aug 12, 2022

49 by Entity72 »»
6 minutes ago

» Anime that you started watching because of Social Media

ST63LTH - 4 hours ago

17 by AMBITZZ »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.