Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 17, 2019 8:16 AM

Oct 2010
What's up with this weird cliche (dumb imo)? A girl is talking with an older guy and suddenly someone has to "save" her. How is that a problem? Maybe he's a relative or family friend. I saw this recently in flcl alt (the girl's friend slapped the guy because he wanted to break up) and relife (this guy wants to help her and our white knight goes there like he's the turf boss and she's his woman).
What I wanna say it's that I got bored of it, leave the girl alone firstly then try to talk with her about what happened or else you'll appear like a dumb "white knhight".
Anyways, opinions?
Sep 17, 2019 8:32 AM
Jul 2018
I very rarely see this done, but yeah, it's always so annoying when it happens
Sep 17, 2019 8:44 AM

Oct 2017
I'd have to know more about the context of the specific situations you describe. But I think it's very rare for anime to do that kind of "white-knighting" that is actually really demeaning to the woman. You know the type where a guy comes in like he's a hero who needs to save the poor woman even though she's in no distress whatsoever.

That's different to the "damsel in distress" kind of situation where the woman is in genuine danger and the man comes in to save her. These situations get called out by some types of people as sexist or whatever but I don't think they are.

Anyway, that was a bit of an aside, but some people might define the second sitation as "white-knighting" even though it isn't. Actual white-knighting is very rare in anime, in my experience.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Sep 17, 2019 8:46 AM

Jun 2016
Sounds like a poor attempt to get laid
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Sep 17, 2019 9:08 AM

Oct 2010
@yossaredmage the context:
Girl is talking to an older guy, the guy doesn't look pushy, he offers her to go in his car but the girl refuses politely, he doesn't do anything weird, then the girl nearly collapses but the guy catches her in mid air. Then, our guy comes to "save" her spouting nonsense about the whole situation. The older guy says that he saw her wobbling so he wanted to call an ambulance because he thought she had a heat stroke, (she had) that's why he talked to her. Our guy was very lame in that situation, even if she wanted to go get laid with the older guy, it's not his problem. And the girl seemed fine talking to the older guy.
Sep 17, 2019 9:46 AM

Apr 2010
I don't remember anything like that... maybe if it's an old man trying to come to a little girl with candies (and that really fits the profile of a stranger who means harm). Other than that... nothing.

Sep 17, 2019 11:06 AM

Oct 2013
This why Touma the gender equality expert and hero we need
He knows its truly the men who need saving when talking to younger girls in anime
Sep 17, 2019 1:57 PM

Sep 2018
Most of cliches are bad. Pointing the finger at one of them, and saying "look at this, it's so annoying" is nothing spacial, but finding the ones that are good is worth appreciation
Jolyne Kuujou + Steel Ball Run Universe = Billie Eillish
Sep 17, 2019 2:03 PM

Jul 2017
i've never seen this done in any anime and i really doubt i ever and this thread is so confusing i can't tell if youre talking about anime or some random thing you saw on twitter today
Sep 17, 2019 4:07 PM

Oct 2010
gratifyy said:
i've never seen this done in any anime and i really doubt i ever and this thread is so confusing i can't tell if youre talking about anime or some random thing you saw on twitter today

I don't even have twitter, I'm an anime guy, I even gave examples.
Sep 17, 2019 4:16 PM

Jan 2017
This, and many other reasons, is why Natsuki Subaru from Re:Zero is a great protagonist. Not because he white-knights Emilia - but because he learns from it.

The show holds back nothing, and is very clear that Subaru is in the wrong when he attempts to 'defend' Emilia, when he's not remotely qualified to do so and, more importantly, completely denies Emilia any agency of her own. Quite rightly, the show and Emilia herself give Subaru a rude awakening, and towards the end Subaru is a lot more willing to trust and work alongside those he wants to protect rather than trying to make it all about him.

Honestly, people who say Subaru is a bland protagonist utterly baffle me.
Sep 17, 2019 4:27 PM

Jul 2017
I remember that scene in reLife, I believe it wasn't him really being a white knight, the guy at that moment realized he was actually in love with the girl and he didn't like the idea of other guys touching her or something like that, and our MC was actually encouraging him to do it because he's been trying to set them up the entire time knowing they were in love with each other.

"Do you know why snow is white? 
Because it's forgotten what color it's supposed to be." - C.C.

Sep 17, 2019 4:57 PM
Jul 2018
I think, they want portray it more like a "protection / big brother / sister instinct", it's more often the case between siblings.
I can't remember these situations in anime in other cases atm?

But in real, let me tell you, it annoyed the shit out of me.

Maurice_5 said:
This, and many other reasons, is why Natsuki Subaru from Re:Zero is a great protagonist. Not because he white-knights Emilia - but because he learns from it.

The show holds back nothing, and is very clear that Subaru is in the wrong when he attempts to 'defend' Emilia, when he's not remotely qualified to do so and, more importantly, completely denies Emilia any agency of her own. Quite rightly, the show and Emilia herself give Subaru a rude awakening, and towards the end Subaru is a lot more willing to trust and work alongside those he wants to protect rather than trying to make it all about him.

That anime sounds so interesting, but this is the one anime I didn't watch for its obnoxious fanbase. Even if its unfair, but they were so annoying.
Sep 17, 2019 5:03 PM

Apr 2016
Sorry, don't think it happens enough to be a "cliche". Most of the time when I see guys confronting others, the girl actually is in trouble or she was in trouble but solved it first (I'm not sure if that's white-knighting or not).

Also, what FLCL Alt. episode are you referring to? Because if it's episode 2, I don't think the guy got slapped. He got hit with Haruko's guitar, but not because he broke up with Hijiri. XD
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 17, 2019 9:10 PM

Oct 2010
CHLO_JO007 said:
Sorry, don't think it happens enough to be a "cliche". Most of the time when I see guys confronting others, the girl actually is in trouble or she was in trouble but solved it first (I'm not sure if that's white-knighting or not).

Also, what FLCL Alt. episode are you referring to? Because if it's episode 2, I don't think the guy got slapped. He got hit with Haruko's guitar, but not because he broke up with Hijiri. XD

I remember being that episode when the big girl with naruto voice wanted to beat that guy because he wanted to beak up with the hot girl. I was annoyed because I don't think it was the big girl's problem. Why not talk as friends later, it's not like she was planning a suicide.

@fakegoose I think his entry was outa place though, and that was a weird "I like her" realisation. All those years and that specific scene awakened his feelings?
Sep 17, 2019 9:52 PM

Aug 2016
If by saving her, it means she doesn't have to continue to talk to a dude/hear a dude out that doesn't learn how to shut the fuck up when she doesn't want to converse any further or the dude isn't listening, keeps on advancing and then grabs her arm when he looks more physically superior, then those are the justifications I see in not being annoyed by white knights.

Other than that, those characters are annoying.
Sep 17, 2019 10:30 PM

Apr 2016
Catalano said:
I remember being that episode when the big girl with naruto voice wanted to beat that guy because he wanted to beak up with the hot girl. I was annoyed because I don't think it was the big girl's problem. Why not talk as friends later, it's not like she was planning a suicide.

She didn't get mad because he "broke up with her friend"; she already knew by that time. She got mad because: he gave her a gift, had the audacity to ask for the gift back so he can give it to the girl he dumped her for (which is a douche move), and after all that, he had the GALL to go "I like you again now" without even asking Hijiri if she wanted to get back together with him.

She wasn't "white-knighting". The dude was toying with Hijiri, and she got mad. Not to mention, she didn't do it for some sort of sexual reward; that was her best friend.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 17, 2019 10:44 PM

Jul 2015
Currently airing arc from danmachi is probably the worst execution of both white knight and damsel in distress tropes I have seen.

Sep 17, 2019 10:52 PM

Jul 2019
Do you, just mean Cucks like in general? This is in some anime, i've seen it
Sep 17, 2019 11:02 PM

Sep 2017
I feel it's fucking annoying too. It usually offers a cheap opportunity to show off the hero's bravado and offers cheap rationale why a girl should be impressed by the hero. I'm disgusted by this whole "girls-need-a-man-to-protect-them-from-other-men" or "girls-cannot-decide-for-themselves-whether-they're-bothered-by-a-conversation-with-a-stranger" thing. Whenever I see this on a romance show, I would instantly drop it.
Sep 17, 2019 11:03 PM

Oct 2010
@chlo_jo007 thanks, now it looks better, my memory failed me. I guess she had the right to be angry, anyways, the whole scene was kinda sad and embarassing for hijiri.
Sep 18, 2019 2:46 AM

May 2018
Catalano said:

Girl is talking to an older guy, the guy doesn't look pushy, he offers her to go in his car but the girl refuses politely, he doesn't do anything weird, then the girl nearly collapses but the guy catches her in mid air. Then, our guy comes to "save" her spouting nonsense about the whole situation. The older guy says that he saw her wobbling so he wanted to call an ambulance because he thought she had a heat stroke, (she had) that's why he talked to her. Our guy was very lame in that situation, even if she wanted to go get laid with the older guy, it's not his problem. And the girl seemed fine talking to the older guy.

If I remember correctly ReLife, this was more of a stalking + jealousy (for a girl that he is not yet close with)...so more of a failed hypocrite attempt of whiteknighting.
alshuSep 18, 2019 4:52 AM
Sep 18, 2019 3:08 AM

Jul 2017
Depends on the specific situation, but they are usually annoying.
Once you realize that what others think about what you enjoy doesn't matter, you will finally be free

Aug 5, 2021 10:10 AM

Apr 2020
Maurice_5 said:

Subaru hasn't learned from his White-Knight syndrome yet. He wouldn't still have Oneitis for Emilia if he did.
I'm not saying he is a bland protagonist (he's actually one of my favorite protagonists), all I'm saying is that he still hasn't reached his full development potential as of the recent chapter in arc 7. (although that might change)
cupcake847Aug 5, 2021 10:33 AM
"Humans are like isolated islands, floating in the sea of fate.
Human encounters are like the collision of these lonely islands, and once they touch, there would be an effect. Sometimes, the islands would stick together, in the name of ‘interest’, ‘kinship’, ‘friendship’, ‘love’ and ‘hate’. But eventually, they would separate, walking towards the path of destruction.

This is the truth behind life."

-Fang Yuan
Aug 5, 2021 11:54 AM
危ないお兄さん

Nov 2016
Up to them but if u hate white knight plot maybe u jusy envy coz cant do something like them

More topics from this board

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 6 hours ago

29 by WatchTillTandava »»
5 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - Yesterday

33 by Tropisch »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » whats the severity of social stigma for anime and its fans now a days?

deg - 8 hours ago

11 by DarkShame2 »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 7 hours ago

32 by Dauphine »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » can anime influence your dark side?

deg - 9 hours ago

20 by Dauphine »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.