Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 9, 2019 3:58 AM

Oct 2018
Now the score is below 6(5.98), I checked all the isekai anime I know about, and their score on MAL, and out of those, this anime is the lowest rated one

Is there any other Isekai that has a worse score than this or is this really the worst Isekai anime so far?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 9, 2019 4:26 AM
うまぴょい伝説

May 2017
There's Conception from Fall season at 5.03
Aug 9, 2019 4:35 AM
Jul 2018
I've done a quick research (yeah, I'm bored as hell) and... Found this:

https://myanimelist.net/anime/3192/Tobira_wo_Akete
https://myanimelist.net/anime/32608/Endride
https://myanimelist.net/anime/503/Eien_no_Aselia
https://myanimelist.net/anime/37823/Conception (edit: found it thanks to Antagonized)
https://myanimelist.net/anime/112/Chou_Henshin_Cosprayers

Cheat Magician isn't the worst, but we could say "the worst of the most popular".
Aug 9, 2019 8:04 AM

May 2019
now what i dont get is how this is somehow below arifureta
honorary member of ninomiya squad
Aug 9, 2019 10:35 AM

May 2012
I'm watching all action Isekai anime this season, and in my opinion Cheat is most enjoyable one

It sad to see it rated the lowest in this season

Aug 9, 2019 2:02 PM

Oct 2017
RedMenace said:
Easy, thanks to fanboys of the "better isekai emo of the season" :))
Aug 9, 2019 2:27 PM
Dec 2011
This series isn't THAT bad! It should be rated a 6.8-7.2 IMO
Aug 9, 2019 2:41 PM
Jun 2019
Pro5_0nr said:
This series isn't THAT bad! It should be rated a 6.8-7.2 IMO

Yeah I agree. Bad and poor substance? Sure. But definitely a 6.5+ on MAL is what i expected.

thepath said:
I'm watching all action Isekai anime this season, and in my opinion Cheat is most enjoyable one

It sad to see it rated the lowest in this season

I found it much better than Maou-sama retry and The Mom&Me Isekai which are other Isekai of this season.I thought they would be rated much worse and i even dropped them.Even though it is quite average I look forward to Cheat Magician episode every week.
Aug 9, 2019 4:13 PM

Dec 2016
RedMenace said:

Arifureta have bigger fanbase also as bad CGI is the rest is above average and I'm kinda invested in story. In case of Cheat Magicians everything is so dull. like really, in ep. 5 they told that army of 3000 blood magic monsters will atack city and I was "
I'm guessing they are in danger"
Manga recommendation:
- Spy x Family (Ch.97/? - biweekly) | Sakamoto Days (Ch.164/? - weekly)
- MARRIAGETOXIN (Ch.86/? - weekly)
- Make the Exorcist Fall in Love (Ch.63/? - biweekly)
- You and I Are Polar Opposites (Ch.53/? - biweekly)
Anime recommendation:
- Deca-Dence (Finished) | Wave, Listen to Me! (Finished)
- If My Favorite Pop Idol Made It to the Budokan, I Would Die (Finished)
- Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater (Finished)
Aug 9, 2019 4:32 PM

May 2019
Nieznajomy43 said:
RedMenace said:

Arifureta have bigger fanbase also as bad CGI is the rest is above average and I'm kinda invested in story. In case of Cheat Magicians everything is so dull. like really, in ep. 5 they told that army of 3000 blood magic monsters will atack city and I was "
I'm guessing they are in danger"

the cgi is horrendously bad but the worst part of the show for me is the pacing. it starts halfway through the story for no reason and its been 5 episodes now and we still havent been told why they are in the isekai world. the mc also seems to have gone through the transformation into edgelord for no reason since we havent been shown how he got bullied by his classmates. the romance is weird and rushed and the mc is really overpowered. they keep throwing the mc into pointless fights without any real emotional attachment to either side for no reason except to show how OP the mc is and advance the romance. basically it is the most rushed anime ive seen since mars destruction. the story isnt even bad because the ln is good, but the adaptation is so bad it made the story suck.

on the other hand, isekai cheat is just incredibly mediocre and cliched, and despite the animation being not the best, it still beats arifureta in that regard. the romance is a lot better paced so far and even the characters are (slightly) more interesting than arifureta. basically isekai cheat is very mediocre but not bad. arifureta is just bad.
Aug 9, 2019 5:03 PM

Apr 2016
Honestly this is one of the worst isekai I’ve ever seen. I saw a lot of isekai anime and despite sometimes I don’t found them that really good, I completed them but I have to drop this unfortunately.
Aug 9, 2019 8:04 PM

Dec 2016
Remember when people said arifureta was going to be the worse isekai this season? Good times.
Aug 10, 2019 12:12 AM
Jun 2019
Personally, I give Arifureta a higher score than Cheat even though it's still pretty below average as of now. If you judge them by the quality, Cheat may beat Arifureta. As for my scores, my idea is that time is better spent on watching something that's unintentionally funny bad than watching nothing.

Arifureta has bad CG, bad lighting, butchered story, bad whatnot but Cheat does jack shit on screen. It's very low effort. Someone else has said that its action isn't action. The anime goes so far as to cut out fight sequences and make choppy transitions. Wait, isn't action one of its tags? What's the point of making an action anime that has chopped up actions? Even Arifureta's fights are more complete.

As for worldbuilding, again what happens on screen doesn't matter. Instead of drawing a comprehensible map or stats tables, just have voice actors yap every detail. This is worse than a PowerPoint presentation.

This anime has Action, Adventure, and Fantasy tags? It doesn't do anything to show that it's in all three of them. It's basically a scam, in which it has the voice actors telling you everything but all you see ranges from nothing to sub-MVP (Minimum Viable Product).
Aug 10, 2019 8:42 AM

Nov 2011
RedMenace said:

Arifureta have slightly more interesting characters and plot if can you ignore the bad CGI and pacing.

Aug 11, 2019 6:49 AM
Jan 2018
Kaiser-kun said:
RedMenace said:

Arifureta have slightly more interesting characters and plot if can you ignore the bad CGI and pacing.

and iseki magican is mainly still shots or they skip any battle or confrontation
Aug 11, 2019 10:49 AM
Apr 2019
Look I get it, even though I’m enjoying this series it ain’t the greatest. But this is objectively way better than RagnaRockbottom or smartphone, what a shame that this is under a 6 rating.
Aug 12, 2019 4:34 AM

May 2019
Mattinator95 said:
Kaiser-kun said:

and iseki magican is mainly still shots or they skip any battle or confrontation

i'd rather not watch a fight at all and get some actual plot (even if the plot is mediocre) than watch a terrible cgi monster shoot badly animated lasers for an entire episode while mc and loli kiss lots of times
Aug 12, 2019 4:40 AM

May 2019
Kaiser-kun said:
RedMenace said:

you cant ignore the pacing for this show, it misses about 4 episodes worth of plot at the beginning

i would like arifureta a lot more if it had 1 episode in the real world showing interactions between the class, ending with them getting isekai'd, 2 episode of them being introduced to the new world and discovering and using their powers and showing the relations between the characters, and 1 episode showing the lead up to them exploring that dungeon, ending with the beginning of the episode 1 that we got.

and as far as characters go the mc is boring because he is just edgy for the sake of being edgy, he has no reason to be edgy, and the loli is useless and just there as a love interest. the classmates are even more boring. true isekai cheat does have very generic characters but they are at least as good as the arifureta ones.

tl;dr: overall isekai cheat just does everything except maybe characters better but is still mediocre, which shows how awful arifureta is

which sucks because the arifureta ln is amazing up until they leave the dungeon (at which point it just becomes a generic isekai)
Aug 12, 2019 9:12 AM

Mar 2018
Better than Mamabullshit Isekai, Better than Maou-sama Retry!, Better than Arifuretrash. If Isekai Cheat Magician is 5.95 then the 3 above should be 4.5.
Aug 12, 2019 10:30 AM
Aug 2018
TheTexhnolyzed said:
Better than Mamabullshit Isekai, Better than Maou-sama Retry!, Better than Arifuretrash. If Isekai Cheat Magician is 5.95 then the 3 above should be 4.5.

My new barometer for isekai is if they can't even beat isekai smartphone then its not worth the time, cause isekai smartphone is more or less scraping the bottle of the barrel for ideas.
Aug 12, 2019 2:42 PM

Dec 2016
TheTexhnolyzed said:

I like how you compared a show that's trying to take itself seriously but fails to shows that joke around and do the generic isekai plot right. lol
LazyChaserAug 12, 2019 9:20 PM
Aug 14, 2019 8:03 AM

Oct 2017
5.94 is generous for this crap. How stupid you must be to think this deserves a 7 hahhaha
Aug 14, 2019 8:44 AM

Mar 2012
First thing out of this whole thing, this is MAL we are talking about, despite having the score system most people even with shows they do not like tent to average rate them at least 7 so a lot of do not even properly represent the true score.

Second the main problem with Isekai Cheat Magician is pretty much what everyone else had said, it is just to plain simple and boring, it plays too safe. It relies heavily on the average standard trope they dont even try to deliver them in a dramatic flare.

The Animation is simple, The Dialogue is simple, The Story is simple, Characters are simple they all just scream simple and average, it is like you did a pre-program sequence just find the average formula to make your standard isekai fantasy story and paste it to a folder.

That being said it is not completely bad but for the average anime viewer this story is nothing great and for isekai fans this would literally scream bordem especially when compared to other titles released over the years. If u were a noob to Anime or new to isekai this might serve well as an introductory title to get you the feel of it and you might even enjoy it somewhat. While the animation is quite dull at the very least it is consistent not like with the overall Arifuerta CGI effects or Maou-Sama Retry poor animation quality( I cry cause they are not doing justice)

So yeah these are my personal feelings but i think a lot of people would agree with them. If the MAL score really had represent the score as intended this series would indeed be a 5 (5 is what mal lists as average) but given how the average score here is ( a coupe of points up i would give it a 6 to 6.5 from what i have seen so far(up to ep 5 time of writing).

Aug 14, 2019 9:09 AM

Oct 2018
zeus-faber said:
How stupid you must be to think this deserves a 7 hahhaha

Are you saying that to me?
Aug 14, 2019 9:43 AM

Dec 2015
And still one of the better ones. ;)

As long as crap like Re:Zero is higher than 7.00 you just can't take scores/ratings serious on MAL nowadays.
Aug 14, 2019 10:23 AM

Jan 2012
I find myself keeping rolling my eyes when watching this.
Maou-Sama at least does the cliche' without being serious (I mean the names and characters are amusing), Arifutrash is bad, but at least has a semi unique story.
Cheat is just generic, and tries to take himself seriously.
It feels like an A.I. read 1000 isekais and created this boring show...
"Quack"
-A Duck

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Aug 14, 2019 12:04 PM

Aug 2018
Ah, I just noticed Isekai Cheat Magician's mark dropped below 6. I'd give it a 6 but I do easily understand how come other viewers disliked it more than me.
Aug 14, 2019 2:12 PM

Jan 2018
TheTexhnolyzed said:

Mamaisekai is at least a bit funny 2/10

Maou Sama is actually funny sometimes 5-6/10

Arifutrash has a bit unique story and some enjoyable interactions 2/10

Isekai cheat Magician on the other hand just sucks and there is nothing special about it 1/10
Aug 14, 2019 3:15 PM

Feb 2015
I'd still say it's not as bad as Ragnarok, but I'd say smartphone is a bit better though still shit tier. Every season the bar keeps getting BN lowered for isseki so much so that finding a good one which brings something new to the table is getting less likely.
Aug 15, 2019 1:53 AM
Oct 2018
Cheesy male mc. All isekai mc should be smart & powerful lolz
Aug 15, 2019 4:30 AM
Aug 2018
Crashmatt said:
I'd still say it's not as bad as Ragnarok, but I'd say smartphone is a bit better though still shit tier. Every season the bar keeps getting BN lowered for isseki so much so that finding a good one which brings something new to the table is getting less likely.

The sad part is anime like isekai smartphone are the new barometer to measure quality. May the anime Gods have mercy on us.
Aug 15, 2019 4:36 AM

Aug 2018
Wow lmao
This anime much better than Arifureta
i watched both of them
B O C C H I  S W E E P
Aug 15, 2019 7:17 AM
Oct 2018
The worst part about cheat magician is the characters i feel. They are way to generic and braindead. They can't seem to think for themselfs.

Like instead of the characters just waiting while the evil people use 5 min to setup a spell, why not make them smart enough to think to try stop them. Or when Rin rescue Myura, why not after or meanwhile listening to the main bad guy tell them his plan, try to attack him and maybe arrest him and stop his plan. They are meant to be overpowered cheat characters in the world, but they never seem to be smart enough to use their power proactivly, they just wait to the bad guy finish his plan before reacting.
Aug 15, 2019 10:46 AM
Jun 2017
As an isekai fan, this series is way generic. Hahaha... but well its not as low as of concepcion series. Hahaha...

But well whar do we even expect from this one, it has a "cheat" on its title so you know the MC is automatic OP. Hahaha
Aug 16, 2019 4:42 AM

Feb 2015
On par with Arifureta in my pov.
Aug 16, 2019 12:47 PM

Dec 2010
The reason probably is the MC is infuriatingly ignorant & the whole thing is as bland as a cookie-cutter Isekai could be.

There's nothing particularly wrong with that, but it doesn't have the charm the many other Isekai series have, and in a market crowded with this genre this comes off as being mediocre.
Aug 16, 2019 4:50 PM

Mar 2014
This is certainly bad but Its so trashy thats its good.

Then again anything better than Arifureta with the edgiest anime of the year award. So much hype for nothing. At least going into this anime people won't have such high expectations.
"You can't spell slaughter without laughter".
Aug 17, 2019 6:59 AM
Aug 2018
HueyLion said:
This is certainly bad but Its so trashy thats its good.

Then again anything better than Arifureta with the edgiest anime of the year award. So much hype for nothing. At least going into this anime people won't have such high expectations.

Yet it still shit the bed really hard. Kind makes it even worse when you put it that way.
Aug 17, 2019 8:18 AM

Jan 2009
hakaihisaki said:
I find myself keeping rolling my eyes when watching this.
Maou-Sama at least does the cliche' without being serious (I mean the names and characters are amusing), Arifutrash is bad, but at least has a semi unique story.
Cheat is just generic, and tries to take himself seriously.
It feels like an A.I. read 1000 isekais and created this boring show...

As someone who has read the manga for all 3 series, maou sama retry is a parody of the isekai genre, arifureta is a show that has a really good story but the behind the scenes stuff screwed it over, deserves a better adaptation, and isekai cheat magician is alright, it's enjoyable but it's not winning any awards.

Personally the worst if you want to call it isekai for me was kenja no mago, but to each his own, maou sama retry is going to be better if you view it as a parody and not a straight isekai, arifureta, provided they don't screw it up royally (not holding my breath) should start to pick up with the next episode and isekai cheat magician will be more of the same, it's fine for what it is but it's probably the worst of the current 3 imo.
Aug 17, 2019 8:31 AM

Nov 2017
Time to go watch some Narnia, Oz, and Alice for now lol.
I frown at recent installments of Persona and Trails of Cold Steel that introduce harem-like elements in the story.

We need more JRPGs like the past Lunar series, where there are multiple romantic pairings in the party other than for the protagonist and main heroine.
Aug 19, 2019 5:50 AM

Jul 2014
And right where it should belong..
I am pretty surprised Maou-sama, Retry! hasn't getting below 6.0 yet.
Crocospect22Aug 19, 2019 6:05 AM
Aug 19, 2019 8:15 PM

Nov 2009
A lot of series this year is craptacular... I am starting to believe Japan finally ran out of ideas to make good series (that's not a remake...)

I dropped like 5 or 6 series this season along cause I couldn't keep with it, it makes me burst with anger how bad they are.

For this series (partly spoiler), MC's main strength is suppose to be his "max enchancements" (by using his extra high magic power)

However... apparently in the manga (I don't read the novel), they decide to change his powers to

Because the series is starting to get stale, they decide to change up some stuff half way into the series...

(which is also why the Anime is a bit different from the manga)
Such as decreased Ecchi scenes (there were quite a bit underwear scenes not in the anime), changed scenes (scene order and/ or changed plot), and Taichi/ Rin's "powers" follows the latter half of the manga series (the changed series)

Personally, if they kept with the original series (and not the changed series), this series would probably have gotten a lot higher rating...

Because it was a lot more appealing to the western viewers, since Taichi was basically like "one punch man" (before the change)

___ ___ ___

People mentioned some other series (which apparently I also dropped them too)

Mamaisekai (technically not really an isekai as they're literally inside a game that's still on Planet Earth, just teleported into the game that's still fully controlled by ppls working on Earth, call it advanced VR experience if you want). Anyways... I dropped this series because it was getting stupid on the Mother's Son-con issue and being racists against all other characters because she wants to have her son only to herself.

Maou Sama is ok I guess, but I still drop it because I couldn't find it that funny.

arifureta is not bad as a story, but I hate the MC because if ppls didn't know
(this was mentioned in the Novel and Manga), and I just couldn't get with it how the other girls are still trying to get with this guy. (abit they don't know about it, since the MC is hiding it from them)

___ ___ ___

Isekai series was so much better back during Dog Days and Zero no Tsukaima era, where they had an actual story and more light hearted (a bit sometimes the plot is stupid), instead of the current Isekai which is mainly composed of "started out with Rape/ mental disorder" or OP powers that I can do whatever I want with a massive harem that wants my D or just Gore and violence in general.
amlgAug 19, 2019 10:25 PM
Nothing Written Here But Us Anime Bunnies *boing boing boing*
Aug 21, 2019 6:52 PM

Mar 2015
This show is so bad that I honestly can't stop watching.
Aug 22, 2019 3:19 PM

Apr 2012
arifureta is way better than this and arifureta is at best average.
Aug 22, 2019 3:27 PM

Apr 2012
amlg said:

Isekai series was so much better back during Dog Days and Zero no Tsukaima era, where they had an actual story and more light hearted (a bit sometimes the plot is stupid), instead of the current Isekai which is mainly composed of "started out with Rape/ mental disorder" or OP powers that I can do whatever I want with a massive harem that wants my D or just Gore and violence in general.

90% agree. like the OP part, if its done good.

rly liked Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari f.e

in the last years only NGNL and Re:Zero were great. Mondaiji-tachi was fine, liked the idea of the world but was way to rushed due only 10EPs. idk if Log Horizon is an isekai but for me always rewatchable.
Aug 22, 2019 9:44 PM

Dec 2009
I enjoy this show just fine. Most of what people call "generic" is just in general structure and plot points, as with most stuff people claim are generic. Sure it's not innovative or exemplary, but it doesn't have to be.

Although the title hilarious describes MOST isekai with the least words possible, it's actually a reasonably pleasant easy watch.

Nothing about Isekai Cheat Magician is offensive or patently "bad".

(in response to above post, mondaijitachi was close to ngnl level, re:zero was just pretentious and made people think it was decent with it's marketing and shit)
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Aug 23, 2019 6:27 PM
May 2018
It's not surprising why it has a low rating. Simple story, characters and animation. At some point ppl are going to get tired Isekai shows.
Sep 5, 2019 1:37 AM

Dec 2015
Yeah. I guess "getting tired" might be a main issue here. I noticed MAL getting more critical/harsher with scores. (Even though there are some exceptions with overrated shows every now and then most stuff seems to be lower than you'd expect it.)

I see some people above also mentioned the smartphone anime. Personally I don't care about animation - you might be right if you only care about that. I watch a bit for plot and I like fantasy setting and politics.

So the smartphone one was basically the same. "Cheating" with smartphone superpowers. Also having tons of girls. And having a bit politics. But here ti feels less lke a harem. And the political stuff feels more interesting.

So definitely almost 1 score point better for me. (Probably ending up with 7 for both .. Smartphone 6.xx and this one 7.2x or something like that.)

If both showas had been running in the same season I had expected MAL to clearly have the smartphone one scored lower. Smartphone one also has only 6.xx and I had expected a higher MAL score.

Clear tendency to getting more critical/harsh. 10 years ago when everyone was only about Harem and girls and Waifus and stuff those easily would have made a 7.x. I mean ... they are not that different from other stuff that has higher score. It's just that the people getting older ... or getting tired of such stories. Or new (younger) people joining the community like different stuff.

Fantasy setting always has been less popular. The people usually like more the shounen with focus on action but in different setting than in medieval-like fantasy.
Sep 5, 2019 7:35 AM

Oct 2017
RedMenace said:

It's worse than Artifura, thats how.
"Your sins shall be paid with blood!" ~Cadis Etrama Di Raizel
Sep 7, 2019 6:27 AM

May 2009
XanderFenikkusu said:
RedMenace said:

It's worse than Artifura, thats how.

Not for selfinserts who are majority of isekai watchers. As long they are pandered with haremshit/suffering/revenge porn they will rate it higher.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Isekai Cheat Magician Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2019

68 by Ratris_Decision »»
Apr 2, 3:45 AM

Poll: » Isekai Cheat Magician Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 10, 2019

221 by Ratris_Decision »»
Apr 2, 3:36 AM

Poll: » Isekai Cheat Magician Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2019

100 by Forum »»
Jan 28, 4:39 PM

Poll: » Isekai Cheat Magician Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2019

40 by Forum »»
Jan 28, 4:09 PM

Poll: » Isekai Cheat Magician Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 14, 2019

67 by Forum »»
Jan 28, 2:15 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.