Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 21, 2019 1:13 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
And so it ends. Ngl, I wish we got an epilogue chapter for this series and the ending, although good, it's not the most satisfying. But this type of ending is pretty standard for a shounen series. And it's still good. For a series that sold not so well, I'm glad WSJ kept it running. And unlike most sports shounen, it showed post-high school stuff and went into the pro stuff. At first I thought the series would lose steam with the pro stuff since I wasn't sure if it would be able to keep the content fresh, but it actually turned out to be the best chunk of this series. Great series overall, and one of the best sports manga I've read.
Jul 21, 2019 1:20 PM
Mar 2008
I'm not ready for this to end :( I wanted my wedding chapter~
Jul 21, 2019 2:23 PM

Apr 2008
Maybe some chapter in the volume 28 at december. Some mangaka make it in their last volume.. I wanted the wedding because Reina is the best girl!
Jul 21, 2019 2:29 PM

Nov 2011
This needs an epilogue tbh but I'm glad that Hinomaru took the win in the end. All that hard work finally paid off with an incredible sumo journey.

I'm going to miss this series.
Jul 21, 2019 2:54 PM

Jan 2018
That's it? Not the best way to end it but I'm still happy for hinomaru. He finally won the tournament. It was a good sports manga. But we definitely end an epilogue with the wedding. I mean why not?
ARK-13Oct 3, 2019 12:59 PM
Jul 21, 2019 9:41 PM

Sep 2008
tbh if we don't get like an epilogue or extra chapter or whatever I'm gonna be really angry xD cause it feels so incomplete!! like where is our wedding with Reina and our kiss??? did he get to be yokozuna in like 15 years from now or his best rank would be ozeki? what about the captain and the rest of the gang?? im so annoyed right now, i was expecting at least 5 or 6 more chapters to wrap everything up :'(
Jul 21, 2019 10:45 PM
Feb 2019
i'm very sad because it was one of my favorite mangas, but i'm not disappointed, i think it's better to end now than make a bad ending in the future with bad development, the strange is that i'm feeling empty now with the end, my days won't be the same now :(
Jul 22, 2019 1:23 AM
Jul 2017
A GREAT END FROM A GREAT SERIES.

Tbh, I don't mind for an epilogue chapters like hinomaru's wedding or when he already have kids or something.
Jul 22, 2019 8:41 AM

Dec 2008
If there is no epilogue, then this is a disappointing/rushed ending to a good series.
Jul 22, 2019 1:35 PM
Sep 2016
The ending came out of nowhere
Jul 25, 2019 4:14 PM

Jul 2011
AAAAAH, where is the wedding ??
Jul 28, 2019 5:44 AM

Jan 2011
Goddamn, I hate these kind of endings in sport manga where they don't show anything after the final match. It was a good series though.

Again they referenced Trump presenting the President's Cup to the winner of the sumo tournament he spectated.
Jul 28, 2019 1:52 PM
Aug 2017
I was hoping for Jin'o to win and quit and that the manga continues.
But better end it here, than it becoming worse. It probably did pretty much everything it wanted.
Jin'o was a fantastic antagonist and this arc was fantastic.

But i'm still a bit sad, because i wanted more. A kiss would have been nice between Hinomaru and Reina.

Great Manga, one of the best and a very unique sports manga! 9/10
Aug 7, 2019 11:03 AM

Oct 2011
It was a good shounen end. It would have been better if Hinomaru lost but due to the match being fun, the Yokozuna changing his mind. But this works too. Still funny that Trump is in the manga.

Aug 25, 2019 12:50 PM

Oct 2017
A decent end to a great sports manga, loved this since the begining. Good to see he beat Sae and the Yokozuna and won the tournament too. Gonna miss this series a lot.

Wonder if this will have an epilogue atleast.
MegamiRemNov 2, 2019 5:42 AM
Oct 3, 2019 1:00 PM

Jan 2018
Ak18reh-man said:
That's it? Not the best way to end it but I'm still happy for hinomaru. He finally won the tournament. It was a good sports manga. But we definitely end an epilogue with the wedding. I mean why not?
And we got one. Yeap, this ending was satisfying.
Oct 4, 2019 3:10 AM

Sep 2007
We have a good epilogue ! :-)
Dec 25, 2019 2:44 PM

Jun 2014
Reposting my reply from the epilogue thread so it's logged under a chapter disc!

Woah I'm glad MangaPlus decided to include the 34 page epilogue. The series honestly wouldn't feel complete without it. Overall, I did love Hinomaru Zumou but I was left with mixed feelings about the ending.

Although it took a while to grow on me, it eventually won me over once rivals and other schools were established. There was a lot of grappling with reality vs your dream, dealing with what you were blessed with at birth (despite shortcomings), and struggling against what others deemed you were that I really appreciated. Even if you worked 8x more than everyone else, eventually all that hard work would pay off and you'd be able to surpass your limits (as opposed to giving up at the starting line). And if all else fails, at least you had no regrets while doing it.

Then during the timeskip, there was a dramatic tone shift and I LOVED. It cuts to a cold open with the worse possible scenario of a debut and dead on arrival. Concerned about your future, on top of the rising anxieties, what giving up everything really meant, and whether or not it was really worth it- the stakes were higher and drama took center stage. The story offered no easy resolutions, avoiding easy shonen trappings until they felt truly earned. Not to mention, the double spreads and art were so polished to a degree, every brutal conflict and clash meant everything was at stake.

But those last 19 chapters are rough. Every chapter started covering one or two bouts and rushing towards conclusions in comparison to the fantastic narrative flow of the 80 chapters prior. While I appreciated that the fights went in reverse, from his latest to first and most personal opponents, they really needed time to breathe. Another 10 chapters would have helped. I have my gripes too with the final fight. The series was already crunched for time, but the infamous Trump cameo (although hilarious) is a dumb gag with two and a half pages dedicated to it, instead of completely giving it all to the final fight.

On the flip side, the romance subplot took a definitive shape during part 2, actually developed and blossomed that by the time we get that sweet ending, it absolutely nailed the landing. Executed great and surprisingly rare among shonen, especially battle shonen series.

At the end of the day, it's a refreshing sports series that discards surface aesthetics for a boiling personal drama and stakes. Friendship and victory, the moto of Shonen Jump were kept to a minimum unless earned, and despite the last 19 chapters, I was honestly having a blast. The art is clean and reads easy. I'm feeling a 8/10. It's closer to an 8 than a 7, but 7.5 doesn't exist here lol

Would definitely reccomend and it's a stand out.
Dec 19, 2020 6:55 PM
Oct 2010
This is on par with other sports anime and should be rated as such.

More topics from this board

» I need help

JonsanAnimeXD - May 13, 2023

4 by Alexioos95 »»
May 14, 2023 9:27 PM

» Is there any romance?

mechian - Dec 4, 2022

1 by MangagnaM »»
Apr 18, 2023 7:30 AM

Poll: » Hinomaruzumou Chapter 204 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 13, 2018

3 by Dokia »»
Nov 25, 2022 8:33 AM

» Epilogue Discussion

ReaperCreeper - Oct 5, 2019

3 by SIOPAOBUN »»
Dec 25, 2019 2:42 PM

Poll: » Hinomaruzumou Chapter 231 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 3, 2019

3 by uzee »»
Aug 7, 2019 5:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.