Forum Settings
Forums

No, seriously, what did THEY do right? While OTHERS failed miserably?

New
Jul 17, 2019 1:40 AM
May 2018
- as always, this thread of mine is only for people who don't have Homura Akemi in favorites, or are born before 1995

Anyway, I was just wondering, how does one create something that will be accepted, favorited, acclaimed, and one day maybe classic, or long lasting franchise...?

Think Lupin III, or Gundam.

How did they bottled that lightning?

Discuss.
Jul 17, 2019 1:41 AM

Jan 2009
err if there is an answer to this then sturgeons law will not exist that says 90% of everything is trash
Jul 17, 2019 2:17 AM

May 2010
Psajdak said:
- as always, this thread of mine is only for people who don't have Homura Akemi in favorites, or are born before 1995

Anyway, I was just wondering, how does one create something that will be accepted, favorited, acclaimed, and one day maybe classic, or long lasting franchise...?

Discuss.

Homura Akemi is literally bae.

This thread is trash.

Are you trying to rival that nihilist goof for worst threads on AD?

If anyone does not love the Lord
Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Jul 17, 2019 2:21 AM

Jan 2018
Johan said:
Psajdak said:

Discuss.

This thread is trash.

There's a poll for the worst thread on AD?

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Jul 17, 2019 2:21 AM

Jun 2019
I think in a lot of cases it's being the 'first' to do something, even if others after it have done it better.

Dragon Ball, Evangelion, Akira, JoJo's etc are all well respected for that reason.

Jul 17, 2019 2:22 AM

May 2010
Dave_Adrian said:
Johan said:

This thread is trash.

LOL, I should create one, innit?

Content has been terrible recently.

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Jul 17, 2019 2:24 AM

Jan 2018
Johan said:
Dave_Adrian said:

I'm voting for "Anime is becoming more SJW" threads to be the worst,

Jul 17, 2019 2:27 AM

May 2010
Dave_Adrian said:
Johan said:

Yeah brah, I went to Anime NYC last year (2018) and some goofy guy made a fool of himself in front of an English VA panel about how censorship was "runining" anime and how "pc" it was becoming.

These political correctness fags don't realise they're literally just as obnoxious and cringy as the SJWs.

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Jul 17, 2019 2:30 AM

Jan 2018
Johan said:
Dave_Adrian said:

Yeah brah, I went to Anime NYC last year (2018) and some goofy guy made a fool of himself in front of an English VA panel about how censorship was "runining" anime and how "pc" it was becoming.

These political correctness fags don't realise they're literally just as obnoxious and cringy as the SJWs.

yuppp shit is getting too cringy up in here! They seriously don't realize that they're becoming as toxic as SJWs...

Jul 17, 2019 4:02 AM

May 2009
Psajdak said:
No, seriously, what did THEY do right? While OTHERS failed miserably?

Discuss.
1. Who are THEY?

2. What if I have Homura Akemi in my favorites AND was born before 1995?

3. luck
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jul 17, 2019 6:30 AM

May 2018
Psajdak said:
born before 1995

But why?

Psajdak said:

Ironically created way way before 1995.

I guess pre 90s products are build to withstand a direct nuclear hit or something.
Jul 30, 2019 12:01 PM
Oct 2017
the only way to make a classic anime is if i like it xD no but jokes aside i think it is skill and talent!!!
Jul 30, 2019 12:13 PM

Oct 2010
It has to have atmosphere, nice ost, cinematography (cool shots and camera angles), fluid animation, characters that said or made something special. It's about putting soul into it. For ex look at prison school, it's a ridiculous story but it has all of the above, so people watch it and they are entertained, at the polar opposite you have grand blue, funny story but no atmosphere, no cool sounds, just a manga adaptation lacking soul.
Homura is not that bad.
Jul 30, 2019 12:34 PM

Aug 2018
If you're talking about a true classic you need the following:

1) A plot that is easy to follow. This allows more people to watch and enjoy your anime, even if it's at the simplest of levels.

2) An underlying message that's not hamfisted. A subject that's brought to the table for everyone to discuss, the more ambiguous you leave it, the better.

3) Interesting and deep characters. Basically avoid the "I wanna be Hokage, I'll be friends with everyone and I'll save the world" kind of character. Make them either more human or so out there that they're interesting.

4) Somewhat optional. Add philosophy and/or psychology to your story. You gotta do it right or you risk failing at point 1).

5) Another optional. Metaphors. Another tricky one, you can add metaphors to aid point 2). But some metaphors are so obvious that end up hurting more than adding value.
Jul 30, 2019 12:48 PM
Jul 2018
Who said Gundam did it right? Along with Gundam X , Gundam 0079 was the only series who was shortened to 43 episodes and sequels were hit or miss. At one point it was Gundam figurines that saved the franchise

Also like many other anime at that time, Lupin TV was toned down compared to the manga.

It is like comparing 70s Getter Robo with the Armageddon OVA that follow the manga closer. Having a psychopath and a terrorist piloting a mecha would be unacceptable for TV standards back then.

Also popular in Japan # rest of the world

And lastly Homura Akemi rules, while Madoka series were not limited artistically in Japanese anime standards. Author was influenced by Czech animator Jan Svankmajer too.
Jul 30, 2019 1:06 PM

Nov 2017
Well, being memorable will definitely help. Say what you will about Evangelion, you're not gonna forget it, and that's why people are still talking about it. Lupin III is a very memorable character surrounded by other memorable characters, which, I believe, is a major reason for the popularity of the franchise, which in turn has given it the status of a classic. On the other hand, very few of those dime-a-dozen visual novel adaptations from the mid-2000s are remembered by people today. There's Clannad, but that's about it. Something can't be a classic if people don't remember it.
Jul 31, 2019 12:55 AM
Jul 2019
One thing that matters as others may have mentioned is the importance of characters and themes. First, for an anime to be even memorable, the characters have to be young, realistic and full of life (think Giorno, Luffy, and Naruto). Second, the theme has to be consistent to the story as this will drive any new-face to let alone check the anime out. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Jul 31, 2019 2:19 AM

Jan 2019
Johan said:
Psajdak said:

Discuss.

This thread is trash.

The nihilist goof is "safeanew" right? I just had to confirm this because that dude is the absolute worst.
Jul 31, 2019 2:44 AM
Jul 2018
nothing, it's just called getting older and being remembered. nothing makes these works different.
Jul 31, 2019 2:52 AM

Dec 2007
The real deal is when a genius plot and setting has occurred and the characters are just flowing and also developing with the plot, like DN Dragon Ball and stuff, but when it's a weak and ordinary plot that tries to be a success it will probably won't be that good, because the successful-hit series usually comes with the nature and originality of the authors, and that's all, successful-hit series don't come with talent but good author that using his skills at the most creating his own originally plot so it doesn't seem like "copying" the same style although it may be orthodox.
Also, there's what was said earlier that if its something new it will be a hit, but if it one of many other genre-like it is depending on what I had said.
Jul 31, 2019 3:01 AM

Nov 2017
Truxton_MD said:
nothing, it's just called getting older and being remembered. nothing makes these works different.
But what about all the works that get older but aren't remembered?

Shadowgon said:
One thing that matters as others may have mentioned is the importance of characters and themes. First, for an anime to be even memorable, the characters have to be young, realistic and full of life (think Giorno, Luffy, and Naruto).
I don't remember Kenshiro from Fist of the North Star ever being all that young, realistic or full of life, but he is a very iconic character whose adventures are still being adapted today despite the manga concluding in 1988. He has a lot of personality, however, which is probably more important to becoming a classic than the details of what that personality is.
Jul 31, 2019 4:03 AM
Jul 2018
Vilkku92 said:
Truxton_MD said:

What about them? Point being, there's tons of memorable works from the current era that will very likely be considered classics in the not too distant future as well, there is nothing inherently separating the timeless works of yesteryear with their more recently made contemporaries.
Jul 31, 2019 4:55 AM

Apr 2017
It's really not that difficult to comprehend how something reaches that pedestal.

On top of having something special and uncommon that will grab people'
s attention the actual circumstances of the community and studio, broadcasting etc. influence its future greately.

And I don't know what your conditions for discussing in this thread are all about.

『 The truth has power because it’s the truth.
And because it is the truth, that makes it just.
It’s persuasive, isn’t it? Don’t you want truth like that? 』

Jul 31, 2019 5:53 AM

Feb 2014
The lack of too many choices at the time is one of the reasons why those anime are now classics. Back in the 70's and 80's, you'd get like 4 or 5 anime per season at best. It's much harder for an anime to become a classic now because there's way too much content out there. Anime are forgotten quickly, no matter how good they are, long before they get to "marinade" in the consciousness of the fandom without being distracted by something new and shiny, often which is pretty similar to the previous ones.
Jul 31, 2019 6:05 AM
May 2019
Another Low Effort elitist baiting tread uhh I'll pass.
Jul 31, 2019 6:08 AM

Feb 2019
Unnn, I don't think it will have a certain answer
Jul 31, 2019 6:51 AM

Nov 2017
Truxton_MD said:
Vilkku92 said:

What about them? Point being, there's tons of memorable works from the current era that will very likely be considered classics in the not too distant future as well, there is nothing inherently separating the timeless works of yesteryear with their more recently made contemporaries.
But what is the difference between the works that get remembered and the ones that don't get remembered? From every era there are some works that become classics and a lot that don't. Is there an inherent difference between those?
Jul 31, 2019 10:18 AM
Jul 2018
Vilkku92 said:
But what is the difference between the works that get remembered and the ones that don't get remembered? From every era there are some works that become classics and a lot that don't. Is there an inherent difference between those?

Just depends on which ones draw the most attention really, there's a ton of "classics" that i think are utter dogshit and several "never heard of it" tier shows that really hit it out of the park. There's not much to it really, popularity is popularity, I dont think there's anything wrong with that, but none of these series are inherently doing it right-er than any of their other lesser spoken of counterparts.

The idea of exclusively citing how remembered something is as metric for it's quality is fairly disingenuous, it defeats the entire purpose of having a distinction between popular and talked about vs actual critical acclaim.

The only reason i dropped the whole classics in every era platitude was cuz OP gave off a sorta sassy attitude about modern anime fans, so i assumed he's more into old anime and is in the "there are no good anim anymore WAAAAAAAH" camp lmao. just sour grapes on my part cuz i rly hate that mentality
Jul 31, 2019 9:37 PM
Dec 2016
Johan said:
Psajdak said:

Discuss.

This thread is trash.

you’re absolutely right, homura IS bae. this thread is cancelled

More topics from this board

» Have you ever divorced your waifu? (ex-waifu)

EndlessMaria - Aug 12, 2022

45 by Serafos »»
4 minutes ago

» Anime that you started watching because of Social Media

ST63LTH - 4 hours ago

15 by MogKnight »»
6 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - 11 hours ago

24 by Lawgun »»
12 minutes ago

» Do you wish your culture was more represent in anime?

Spunkert - 1 hour ago

6 by LightWorker »»
19 minutes ago

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - 11 hours ago

19 by DigiCat »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.