Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 14, 2019 11:56 AM
Mar 2017
Do you believe that if a Person, any person, Was willing to stay open-minded and give 1 true and honest chance to watch an Anime, they would like\love it and perhaps look\ask for more? I'm obviously not talking about extreme cases like Blind\Autistic\psychopaths etc.. but the general population of women and men, children to working men to seniors. if they were willing to try, and the anime fan would pick a most suitable "First Anime" for them based on their tastes in other mediums, do you think any1 would love and perhaps "get into" Anime? despite never watching or even hearing about it before?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 14, 2019 12:11 PM

Oct 2015
Of course, considering most pre-conceived opinion on the media is because it closely resembles american cartoons which, for the most part, is for kids. Anyone with an open mind would be willing to try anything honestly so I don't really see why there's any other answer besides a yes.
Jul 14, 2019 12:13 PM

Apr 2019
zagan93 said:
Do you believe that if a Person, any person, Was willing to stay open-minded and give 1 true and honest chance to watch an Anime, they would like\love it and perhaps look\ask for more? I'm obviously not talking about extreme cases like Blind\Autistic\psychopaths etc.. but the general population of women and men, children to working men to seniors. if they were willing to try, and the anime fan would pick a most suitable "First Anime" for them based on their tastes in other mediums, do you think any1 would love and perhaps "get into" Anime? despite never watching or even hearing about it before?

It depends of the anime and the person´s age.

The only reason why anime is marginalized is the picture that anime community shows to the rest of the world. you just have to look at MAL´s Tops The majority of anime fans keep refusin to take anime seriously. The picture that society has of the anime is all about Battle Shonen and other kid stuffs, so they think anime is a kid stuff.

Jul 14, 2019 12:15 PM

Mar 2018
Isn't that how we all get into anime? Majority of the fans now tried it because of someone's recommendation and have been watching ever since
LOOKING FOR ARTISTS PLEASE MESSAGE ME IF YOU'RE ONE
Review please!

Jul 14, 2019 12:20 PM

May 2009
zagan93 said:
First, I don't think it makes sense to think of "anime" as one entire thing to "get into". "Anime" is actually a bunch of different works, and no one watches all of them. Everyone chooses a different set of things to watch based on what they're (not) interested in.

Second, I don't think becoming familiar with a medium is something that can be forced. Sometimes, the process of becoming interested in something is pretty gradual, and -- like I suggested above -- may just involve becoming interested in one show at a time.

Third, I don't think it takes one show to make someone feel like part of the fandom. At best they become a fan of that one show. To become interested in the medium as a whole, they have to want more like what they've seen, and that often doesn't come from just seeing one thing, the same way people don't start to think of themselves as gamers from just playing one videogame, nor do they think of themselves as tennis players from just playing one game of tennis.

I mean, I don't really think of myself as an "anime fan" -- rather, I'm just a fan of some things, and not others, and the same thing honestly applies to everyone else who is a fan, because not everyone likes 100% of all anime series.

Rather, for me, it's just, I like this show, I like that show, having seen these shows makes me think I might like this other show, while I don't like that other show, and these show don't really interest me, but those do.

I think for me being an "anime fan" simply means I know my way around the medium like this. This isn't a familiarity that comes with just watching one show, but it is something that is a result of a gradual accumulation of experience with the anime medium.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jul 14, 2019 12:24 PM

Jan 2018
Yes, but the trick lies in knowing what they really want to watch.
Jul 14, 2019 12:40 PM

Apr 2019
I' m thinking about a anime list with shows to suggest to someone who have never watched anime (adult) to make him/her understand what "anime" can be.

- Blue Gender
- Baccano
- Boku dake ga Inai Machi
- Bokurano
- Cowboy Bebop
- Hatarakou Saibo
- Made in Abyss
- Monster
- Uchuu Kyoudai

Jul 14, 2019 12:41 PM

Apr 2015
Time to be cliche.
"Every comic is someone's first."

Taken way too earlyokay to be honest no offence but not really, Stan Lee's famous quote about comic's can be applied to literally everything, anime included. In basic, I do believe that, yes, you can get someone into anime if you show them the right, show for them. Into dystopian "Slavery is peace" sci fi? Get em psycho pass. Into vampires? Hellsing Ultimate. Into space adventures? Bebop. Etc. Etc. The first thing, of anything you show anyone can make or break it for them getting into the medium.

But, in my opinion, that doesn't matter, that really doesn't in the long run. Of course, you can mathematically, psychologically determine the type of show for someone to like it, it's actually extremely easy to do so, I bet I can do it quite honestly with every family member and friend I have if you give me a week or two. However, that wont matter because, well, that's not what anime is. Unless they are willing to give anime as a whole a chance, it doesn't matter, and I frankly don't believe you should "trick" them into liking anime, from showing them one show they liked. Maybe they just like that one show? It doesn't have to be all of anime.

You do not want to show someone something like Fate/Zero, or Paprika, or Eva, or any other great, avant garde artwork as their first impression into anime because that simply isn't what anime is. That's what that show was. And unless they're a big fan of isekai, or any other trope running around the medium to the point of oversaturation, they may give it a chance, but aiming something specifically they love at them, then taking it away, only for them realizing that's not why they got into anime, most likely wont work for extended periods of time.

So, to answer your question, I for sure can get anyone into an anime, but anime as a whole? Don't think so. Anime just isn't for everyone.
Jul 14, 2019 1:10 PM

Apr 2019
Monarch-Reli said:
Time to be cliche.

Taken way too earlyokay to be honest no offence but not really, Stan Lee's famous quote about comic's can be applied to literally everything, anime included. In basic, I do believe that, yes, you can get someone into anime if you show them the right, show for them. Into dystopian "Slavery is peace" sci fi? Get em psycho pass. Into vampires? Hellsing Ultimate. Into space adventures? Bebop. Etc. Etc. The first thing, of anything you show anyone can make or break it for them getting into the medium.

But, in my opinion, that doesn't matter, that really doesn't in the long run. Of course, you can mathematically, psychologically determine the type of show for someone to like it, it's actually extremely easy to do so, I bet I can do it quite honestly with every family member and friend I have if you give me a week or two. However, that wont matter because, well, that's not what anime is. Unless they are willing to give anime as a whole a chance, it doesn't matter, and I frankly don't believe you should "trick" them into liking anime, from showing them one show they liked. Maybe they just like that one show? It doesn't have to be all of anime.

You do not want to show someone something like Fate/Zero, or Paprika, or Eva, or any other great, avant garde artwork as their first impression into anime because that simply isn't what anime is. That's what that show was. And unless they're a big fan of isekai, or any other trope running around the medium to the point of oversaturation, they may give it a chance, but aiming something specifically they love at them, then taking it away, only for them realizing that's not why they got into anime, most likely wont work for extended periods of time.

So, to answer your question, I for sure can get anyone into an anime, but anime as a whole? Don't think so. Anime just isn't for everyone.

If you show someone the right show and he/she likes it, at least you may change his/her mind about what anime is, so he/she could start inquiring by him/herself and maybe giving a chance to other kinds of shows.

To me that´s enought.
Jul 14, 2019 1:12 PM
womp womp

Nov 2012
zagan93 said:

I don't get where the question is going, since it's saying, "If you give someone something they like, would they like it?" with the clear answer to that being yes.

If the question was geared more towards, if you showed anyone any anime, do you think they would the medium and search for more, I'd say no. Because being an avid fan of the medium myself, I don't like most anime per se. At least, not to the degree where I would actively search for more, rather than the "Yeah sure why not?"

But if the any anime happened to be one of the series I currently regard as my favourites, chances are I'd more than happily go out of my way to search for similar series, be it anime or not.
Jul 14, 2019 1:48 PM
Mar 2017
Monarch-Reli said:
Time to be cliche.

i wouldn't call this "Tricking them", in the same fashion that i would recommend some1 a zombie show knowing they loved another zombie show. the way i would go about it is to ask the person what he likes and preferences and what has he watched and loved the most, then based on that i will recommend him a fitting Anime(he still need to be open-minded about it, like with anything new we try in life), then when he comes back to me after watching it and (presumably) say "i liked it, this cartoon was great!, i was really surprised", then i, in turn, would tell him "this Cartoon is called Anime and it originates from Japan, which has a whole lot of Anime both similar and far far different, if you want some recommendations I'm here".

and ye i believe that under the right set of conditions, 1 Anime is enough to get a person into the entire medium, even if on a very shallow level at first, but this is how first steps are always made.
Jul 14, 2019 1:57 PM
Mar 2017
henriiez said:
zagan93 said:

I don't get where the question is going, since it's saying, "If you give someone something they like, would they like it?" with the clear answer to that being yes.

If the question was geared more towards, if you showed anyone any anime, do you think they would the medium and search for more, I'd say no. Because being an avid fan of the medium myself, I don't like most anime per se. At least, not to the degree where I would actively search for more, rather than the "Yeah sure why not?"

But if the any anime happened to be one of the series I currently regard as my favourites, chances are I'd more than happily go out of my way to search for similar series, be it anime or not.

what you say isn't exactly right nor is it what i tried to ask, first of all- if i show someone who has never watched an Anime some Anime, even if i tailored it to his tastes it is still a possible miss, there is no guarantee he will like it, so it's really not like you said "if you show him something he liked he will obviously like it".

and secondly, the whole point of this is to open the door's to the Anime world, not really going in, not much wondering around, simply open the doors and take a good meaningful look at what's inside. if the person liked the show and can imagine what's beyond this one show he enjoyed, the job is done. if he enjoys the show yet never get any more interested than that, then the job is half done- he likes an Anime show, but Anime, in general, might not be for him( and not necessarily because he wouldn't like anything other than that first Anime you showed).
Jul 14, 2019 2:06 PM
Oct 2018
No. I've tried everything with my friend, he's just not having it lmao.
Jul 14, 2019 2:42 PM

Apr 2019
gaq_t said:

What kind of stories does your friend like ? What have you shown to him? What does your friend think about anime itself?
Jul 14, 2019 3:27 PM

Jun 2014
Well, I mean, obviously. Otherwise none of the rest of us would be on this site.
From what I know, people who like Nintendo/Sony video games and have other 'nerdy' hobbies are typically more open to trying anime.
Or just people who like to watch at lot of TV shows and movies might be willing to try. Its not too difficult to find an anime targeted for any age range under 50.
Just dont try to force it down peoples throat if they dont like or arent willing to try.
Jul 14, 2019 3:32 PM
May 2019
Just like movies, video games, books I'm sure there is going to be anime for everyone unfortunately not all people are open-minded.
Jul 14, 2019 3:35 PM
Oct 2018
Gingko said:
gaq_t said:

What kind of stories does your friend like ? What have you shown to him? What does your friend think about anime itself?

Like me, he likes action. So I showed him OPM.
He just thinks it's silly cartoons, he prefers real life shows which I find boring af.
Jul 14, 2019 3:44 PM

Jul 2017
No, some people are just not going to like a medium regardless, and that's totally fine. Like me for instance, I've read quite a few different books, even some so-called best sellers yet I cannot for the life of me get into book reading at all. Some people may not like the art style of anime, or not enjoy how anime portrays their favorite genre like comedy for instance

To a lesser extent, it's like trying to get someone into your favorite sport. Even if they have an open mind, it's still entirely possible they just wont find amusement from it. Ofc you cant really tailor a sport to someone tastes and whatnot (hence why a lesser extent)
Jul 14, 2019 3:59 PM
Jul 2018
Is there today a series equivalent that will cause an anime boom for all ages, like it happened with Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball, Rurouni Kenshin or even earlier with Saber Rider and the Star Sherrifs, Ulysses 31, Gatchaman, Robotech, Harlock etc

All good anime moved to locked streaming services and paytv, while kids tv zone is filled with safe cgi and flash cartoons or toy focused anime.

And then one wonders why anime is not that popular.
Jul 14, 2019 4:01 PM
Jul 2018
I think so. While they may be lacking, there are enough mature anime that can appeal to fans of serious live action shows. Anime like Monster, Death Note.
I managed to convince a family member to give Vinland Saga a try, and she's really liking it, even though she disliked other anime I tried to show her.
Jul 14, 2019 4:22 PM

Aug 2018
That was my case. I did't watch anime before until Last year I give a chance to Evangelion and I loved it and then I get myself into anime.
Jul 14, 2019 5:04 PM

Apr 2019
gaq_t said:
Gingko said:

He just thinks it's silly cartoons, he prefers real life shows which I find boring af.

Well, the fact is that OPM is a really silly show, just anime fans will understand why it is supposed to be funny.

If your friend likes the action genre like hollywood´s action movies, there isnt an anime show with a similar style.

He may enjoy AOT, It seems like a good starting anime since some people I personally know are interested in it and they havent watched anime in their entire life. .
Jul 14, 2019 5:07 PM

Apr 2019
Neolux20 said:
That was my case. I did't watch anime before until Last year I give a chance to Evangelion and I loved it and then I get myself into anime.

Evangelion was your first anime show?

How old were you?

Maybe we should show just masterpieces like Eva to the foreign public, lol , but I thought Eve was too eccentric to someone who havent watched anime.
Jul 14, 2019 5:08 PM

Jan 2018
zagan93 said:

Bruhh thats why there are "gateway anime"

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Jul 14, 2019 5:32 PM
Oct 2018
Gingko said:
gaq_t said:

Well, the fact is that OPM is a really silly show, just anime fans will understand why it is supposed to be funny.

If your friend likes the action genre like hollywood´s action movies, there isnt an anime show with a similar style.

He may enjoy AOT, It seems like a good starting anime since some people I personally know are interested in it and they havent watched anime in their entire life. .

Tbh I haven't even watched that yet, gonna need to do that b4 recommending it, he also likes thriller so I was thinking death note (which got me into anime) but I've recommended that to him a few times and he has never gotten to watching it ree
Jul 14, 2019 5:41 PM

Apr 2019
gaq_t said:
Gingko said:

Tbh I haven't even watched that yet, gonna need to do that b4 recommending it, he also likes thriller so I was thinking death note (which got me into anime) but I've recommended that to him a few times and he has never gotten to watching it ree

He likes thriller?

Ok, forget everything I´ve said and make him watch Monster, that´s all, try to find a dubb version. Do not accept a "no" as an answer, lol, he needs to watch it. No matter if you havent watched it yet.
Jul 14, 2019 5:44 PM
Jul 2018
Of course, anime is a huge industry, there's bound to at least be 1 anime that pleases every type of person
Jul 14, 2019 5:45 PM
Oct 2018
Gingko said:
gaq_t said:

He likes thriller?

Ok, forget everything I´ve said and make him watch Monster, that´s all, try to find a dubb version. Do not accept a "no" as an answer, lol, he needs to watch it. No matter if you havent watched it yet.

Ayy monster is on my watch list.

But I have to say, there s a huge diff between shows like how to get away with murder and monster/DN, but maybe he'll like it.
Jul 14, 2019 6:11 PM

Aug 2018
Gingko said:
Neolux20 said:

How old were you?

Maybe we should show just masterpieces like Eva to the foreign public, lol , but I thought Eve was too eccentric to someone who havent watched anime.

I was 21 years old when I saw it for the first time. So I already had some maturity to try to understand it a bit. maybe it souns kinda cliche but EVA helped me to understand myself better. Before EVA I was a really depressed and lost girl.
Jul 14, 2019 6:16 PM

Apr 2019
Neolux20 said:
Gingko said:

How old were you?

I was 21 years old when I saw it for the first time. So I already had some maturity to try to understand it a bit. maybe it souns kinda cliche but EVA helped me to understand myself better. Before EVA I was a really depressed and lost girl.

Well, you must be a really open-minded person if you didnt get frightened , you are admirable.
Jul 14, 2019 6:22 PM

Aug 2018
Gingko said:
Neolux20 said:

Well, you must be a really open-minded person if you didnt get frightened , you are admirable.

Haha,, thank you for the admirable.
Jul 14, 2019 6:40 PM

Oct 2012
Gingko said:
I' m thinking about a anime list with shows to suggest to someone who have never watched anime (adult) to make him/her understand what "anime" can be.

- Blue Gender
- Baccano
- Bokurano
- Cowboy Bebop
- Hatarakou Saibo
- Made in Abyss
- Monster
- Uchuu Kyoudai

Every time one of these threads pop up, people start giving suggestions and I cringe. And I get that tons of anime fans have been inundated on the likes of Cowboy Bebop, but tons more have tolerated it because they're used to Japanese antics. I'm not sure that people who have not been immersed with Asian media could relate.

For example, I loved Made in Abyss, but I would never recommend it to anyone as a first show. It's about a fucking little girl, and follows a tedious damsel in distress trope until half way in. Cowboy Bebop is another one. For everyone person captivated by Ed, probably another 2 are annoyed by that autistic personality. The fact that the women in this show have ridiculous revealing outfits (which are tame by anime standards, but not elsewhere) does not help. I mean even those tight latex shorts and midriff baring tee, and the other girl has permanently unbutton booty shorts and a sports bra. This is the kind of stuff that gives anime its reputation.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jul 14, 2019 6:46 PM

May 2018
Nope. Anime is great but you think too highly of it. Some of my friends are not into it despite my recommendations.They are however a fan of video games.

Papa_ScorchJul 14, 2019 6:50 PM
Jul 14, 2019 6:52 PM

Apr 2019
katsucats said:
Gingko said:

- Blue Gender
- Baccano
- Bokurano
- Cowboy Bebop
- Hatarakou Saibo
- Made in Abyss
- Monster
- Uchuu Kyoudai

Every time one of these threads pop up, people start giving suggestions and I cringe. And I get that tons of anime fans have been inundated on the likes of Cowboy Bebop, but tons more have tolerated it because they're used to Japanese antics. I'm not sure that people who have not been immersed with Asian media could relate.

For example, I loved Made in Abyss, but I would never recommend it to anyone as a first show. It's about a fucking little girl, and follows a tedious damsel in distress trope until half way in. Cowboy Bebop is another one. For everyone person captivated by Ed, probably another 2 are annoyed by that autistic personality. The fact that the women in this show have ridiculous revealing outfits (which are tame by anime standards, but not elsewhere) does not help. I mean even those tight latex shorts and midriff baring tee, and the other girl has permanently unbutton booty shorts and a sports bra. This is the kind of stuff that gives anime its reputation.

I didnt think that these shows were too hard to digest for an adult person.

I mean @Neolux20 ´s first anime was Evangelion...

What kind of shows would you suggest? Gansta ? I assume that its easier for a western taste, but its not good enought, something like that? 91 Days?

About Cowboy Bebop I ´ve already shown this anime to someone as his first anime and he liked it.
Jul 14, 2019 6:55 PM

Feb 2019
No, not everyone will be into anime, no matter how open minded nor how much one puts thought into which gateway shows to recommend. The reason is quite simple: media taste is not always about an open mind, there are tons of other factors involved, such as personality, attention span, culture, prior experiences, personal beliefs, and so on.

Personally I don't believe in these so called gateway anime lists. I had watched Death Note, Madoka, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 years ago, but never had really got into anime. What got me into the medium at the beginning of the year was Happy Sugar Life, a show probably no one would recommend to an outsider, most wouldn't even recommend it to those already in the community. When I think about, maybe this says more about me than about the gateway lists. Those who will like the medium will enjoy it regardless of anime tropes and japanese strange customs. Trying to hide anime's unique 'mechanics' is just fooling people that won't have much to watch as they delve deeper and deeper into the medium.
Jul 14, 2019 7:01 PM

May 2019
Not necessarily, but I feel like A LOT more people would enjoy anime if they gave it a shot. Just like any interest, there will be people who don't like it simply just because it's not their thing. I do believe though that if more people gave anime a shot instead of thinking it's "weird", there would be more people who like anime than there is now.
Jul 14, 2019 7:02 PM
May 2016
No, of course not!

zagan93 said:
I'm obviously not talking about extreme cases like Blind\Autistic\psychopaths etc..

...oh, then yes...

that wasn't obvious to me...
Jul 14, 2019 9:53 PM
Mar 2017
123fendas said:
No, of course not!

zagan93 said:
I'm obviously not talking about extreme cases like Blind\Autistic\psychopaths etc..

...oh, then yes...

that wasn't obvious to me...

i could even extend it a bit more- my point was that i was not counting on every single person on earth, just the general public, the average modern world person.
and these days you need to spell things word by word so people will understand, and hopefully won't take your words in an unintended direction or even be offended by them.
Jul 14, 2019 10:03 PM

Oct 2013
Sure, why not? With all the different genre anime covers there's pretty much something for everyone.
Jul 14, 2019 10:09 PM
Mar 2017
m-i-c-h-a-e-l said:
Well, I mean, obviously. Otherwise none of the rest of us would be on this site.
From what I know, people who like Nintendo/Sony video games and have other 'nerdy' hobbies are typically more open to trying anime.
Or just people who like to watch at lot of TV shows and movies might be willing to try. Its not too difficult to find an anime targeted for any age range under 50.
Just dont try to force it down peoples throat if they dont like or arent willing to try.

of course, i would never force Anime upon some1(unless i feel close enough to him that i don't mind making him a bit "angry" at repeated suggestions, like a family member or a good friend.

anyway, i think you are right, i would agree that people who are already into things considered "nerdy" like video games or some non-mainstream TV shows, and even people who enjoy the Internet Meme culture we developed in recent years, would most likely be more willing and open-minded to Anime and to try Anime. however, the real question is not about these people(it is, just not mainly about them), but rather those who you would not consider as close to this "world" of Nerd culture, and never even heard or at least never seen any Anime.
if you were to take your father or mother for example, who i assume are in the age of 40-60 and most likely have never watched Anime and maybe only vaguely know what Anime is, do you believe that by knowing their tastes and convincing them to give an Anime you believe they will like-a chance, they will actually enjoy it, and maybe, even ask you if there are more "shows" like this? they will obviously won't turn into Weebs, but just that transition from "Anime, what's that, isn't that weird cartoons?" , into this: "that cartoon(Anime) you showed me was really nice, i didn't know Cartoons(Anime) could be this good\emotional\exciting\fun to watch". and even if they don't get fully into Anime, i guess this is already quite enough, changing their minds about the Medium called "Anime".
Jul 14, 2019 11:10 PM

Jan 2018
Absolutely. Japanese cartoons are the last thing I would've ever expected my mom to enjoy, but frankly she loves anime now. Albeit she's one of the most open-minded people ever, though... she's pretty much willing to look past any stereotypes and at least give things a try. But still, I thought anime might've been the one thing she'd stay away from, but funny enough, I recommended something I thought she'd like and now she loves it. Slice of life, iyashikei, and romance are her favorite genres, and she even prefers subs. xD

The thing is, anime is a medium like film or anything else. There's always bound to be something within the medium that could appeal to any given individual, even if they thought they'd absolutely hate every last bit of it. The problem is that people are just too biased or closed-minded to ever give it a shot.

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Jul 14, 2019 11:20 PM
Mar 2019
Absolutely. Much like with any medium, be it movies, video games, tv shows (both animated and live-action) comic books/graphic novels, stage plays, etc.

There's always something for someone.
Jul 15, 2019 3:42 PM

Jun 2019
Do you know the type of people who it's good to try and get into anime? People who have a love and affinity for good stories regardless of the medium, and are open-minded enough to really underscore that second part. I realize that when you proclaim yourself open-minded you are already being somewhat judgmental as it implies many others aren't so there is a certain hypocrisy which goes against open-mindedness, but let's be real - there is a certain truth to it.

People who love good stories and are open to watching television shows and films that span all or nearly all genres, the type who grew up watching and looking for great shows, seeking out new DVDs regularly, making lists of their watched or favorite films on sites that exist now like Letterboxd, those who really want to passionately follow and discuss well-told stories with their family or friends or other enthusiasts online rather than just watch things in a more off-handed cavalier way, are the type inclined to even be interested in giving anime a shot in the first place. Particularly when they feel they're running out of good stories elsewhere. People dissatisfied with a lot of current TV and mainstream movie releases and are not opposed to also seeking out a lot of foreign content and indie films.

And often then they still really need that "hook" show or shows. As others have said, there is no "into anime" really, because I don't see any more great similarity between two shows of radically different genres and styles in anime than, say, Futurama and the Berenstain Bears or Homeland and Married With Children.

Aastra343 said:
No, not everyone will be into anime, no matter how open minded nor how much one puts thought into which gateway shows to recommend. The reason is quite simple: media taste is not always about an open mind, there are tons of other factors involved, such as personality, attention span, culture, prior experiences, personal beliefs, and so on.

Personally I don't believe in these so called gateway anime lists. I had watched Death Note, Madoka, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 years ago, but never had really got into anime. What got me into the medium at the beginning of the year was Happy Sugar Life, a show probably no one would recommend to an outsider, most wouldn't even recommend it to those already in the community. When I think about, maybe this says more about me than about the gateway lists. Those who will like the medium will enjoy it regardless of anime tropes and japanese strange customs. Trying to hide anime's unique 'mechanics' is just fooling people that won't have much to watch as they delve deeper and deeper into the medium.

I don't really believe in gateway lists either, but they are designed to appeal to the widest swath of people possible. If you're a person who tends to have divergent, obscure, niche, and esoteric type interests to begin with, as I am and I suspect you may be, then this wouldn't be applicable.

If I had seen many of the shows on these lists first I probably would have enjoyed them but wouldn't be touched on a core level and driven to actively seek out more. My "hook" was a different show that also is not commonly recommended in anime circles and is pretty far down on all the rankings. So if you know a person like this that you give a shit about, appeal to what they may be interested in rather than just a sample size designed to appeal to the common denominator of the general population.
Jul 15, 2019 8:28 PM

Oct 2012
Gingko said:
katsucats said:

What kind of shows would you suggest? Gansta ? I assume that its easier for a western taste, but its not good enought, something like that? 91 Days?

About Cowboy Bebop I ´ve already shown this anime to someone as his first anime and he liked it.
Hell no. A Western setting does not mean a Western taste. People think that Cowboy Bebop, Baccano, Trigun, etc., must be easily digestible because they're based in a Western environment and has purportedly Western characters. I posit that most anime fans are so used to anime that they do a subconsciously conversion when they perceive characters. So when a character acts cute in Japanese, you imagine what it would be like for them to be cute in America. That's the only way, in my opinion, that you didn't notice Baccano characters being distinctly Japanese, with Japanese inflection in their speech, and Japanese expressions and body language, and Japanese reactions to events, despite having blonde hair and a top hat. I assure you, real life gangsters in America, whether Italian or the black or Asian kind do not act anything close to how gangsters act in anime. Gangsters in anime are more like high school tough guys saying, "Say that again to my face about my mama." Cause if you really want to hurt someone, you dispense with all the theatrics and get your 20 buddies and jump the dude at night.

I digress. My point is if you don't notice Baccano characters acting non-Western, you've probably watched too much anime. People in Western countries have no problem digesting media from foreign settings as long as the characters act in a way familiar to Western culture. Think Memoirs of a Geisha, Ip Man, Mulan, Akira Kurosawa movies. Right there that tells you the setting is not the point.

If I were to recommend an anime to a total beginner, that anime should have as little as possible of the following:
  • Fan service, even the subtle kind.
  • Character stereotypes, such as tsundere, yandere, etc., unless I deem that the behavior makes absolute sense within the plot, and not that they are acting that way to appeal to people who already know what a tsundere is outside of said anime.
  • Certain anime actions that I'm sure not even Japanese people do in real life, such as swinging your arm out, squinting your eyes, and saying something like "That's ridiculous". Or the close up to fist clenching if it's shown more than once. Or little sisters saying "Oniiii-chan". Or guys patting girls on the head. You catch my drift.

As for @Neolux20 's first anime being Evangelion, well no shit. There are people who just, through whatever circumstance, find affinity to anime. That's why we're here. I'm sure there are people out there who watched Boku no Pico and fell in love with anime. But that's not who we're targeting when we talk about introducing someone to anime for the first time. The whole point is to be conservative. Otherwise, there's no point in this topic to begin with. You might have shown your friend whatever and he would still like it.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jul 15, 2019 8:30 PM

Aug 2009
There's a lot of anime out there these days. The chances of a normie finding something that they could be into is pretty high, even if sifting though a bunch of garbage may be a thing.

Jul 15, 2019 8:44 PM

Apr 2019
katsucats said:
Gingko said:

Hell no. A Western setting does not mean a Western taste. People think that Cowboy Bebop, Baccano, Trigun, etc., must be easily digestible because they're based in a Western environment and has purportedly Western characters. I posit that most anime fans are so used to anime that they do a subconsciously conversion when they perceive characters. So when a character acts cute in Japanese, you imagine what it would be like for them to be cute in America. That's the only way, in my opinion, that you didn't notice Baccano characters being distinctly Japanese, with Japanese inflection in their speech, and Japanese expressions and body language, and Japanese reactions to events, despite having blonde hair and a top hat. I assure you, real life gangsters in America, whether Italian or the black or Asian kind do not act anything close to how gangsters act in anime. Gangsters in anime are more like high school tough guys saying, "Say that again to my face about my mama." Cause if you really want to hurt someone, you dispense with all the theatrics and get your 20 buddies and jump the dude at night.

I digress. My point is if you don't notice Baccano characters acting non-Western, you've probably watched too much anime. People in Western countries have no problem digesting media from foreign settings as long as the characters act in a way familiar to Western culture. Think Memoirs of a Geisha, Ip Man, Mulan, Akira Kurosawa movies. Right there that tells you the setting is not the point.

If I were to recommend an anime to a total beginner, that anime should have as little as possible of the following:
  • Fan service, even the subtle kind.
  • Character stereotypes, such as tsundere, yandere, etc., unless I deem that the behavior makes absolute sense within the plot, and not that they are acting that way to appeal to people who already know what a tsundere is outside of said anime.
  • Certain anime actions that I'm sure not even Japanese people do in real life, such as swinging your arm out, squinting your eyes, and saying something like "That's ridiculous". Or the close up to fist clenching if it's shown more than once. Or little sisters saying "Oniiii-chan". Or guys patting girls on the head. You catch my drift.

As for @Neolux20 's first anime being Evangelion, well no shit. There are people who just, through whatever circumstance, find affinity to anime. That's why we're here. I'm sure there are people out there who watched Boku no Pico and fell in love with anime. But that's not who we're targeting when we talk about introducing someone to anime for the first time. The whole point is to be conservative. Otherwise, there's no point in this topic to begin with. You might have shown your friend whatever and he would still like it.

To be honest I didnt consider the characters at all,just the themes. You really have a point.

Considering what you said its even harder.

Then I just can think about Monster, but there is nothin similar to Monster so you are gettin the person to anime, cause Monster doesnt represent what anime is.

what about slice of life? Is there some that could be liked by the regular western taste? maybe Makoto Shinkai stuff?
GingkoJul 15, 2019 8:48 PM
Jul 15, 2019 8:59 PM

Nov 2016
If they are already into Nerdy stuff its quite easy. I have done it... TWICE Insert r/ThatHappened joke here

Just be careful with what you recommend according to the person's taste in stuf like literature, Videogames, cinema, western TV, etc.

For example. I have a friend that likes a lot of 80s and 90s rock and that was the main thing that heled me get him into JoJo. To be fair, He had already been delving into Anime since he watched stuff like DB when he was a Kid and already had some favorites but I think that at that point he had watched like 20-40 shows.

Another One got into Anime because of some shows he watched while he was a small child. Mostly, Again, Dragon Ball. This was just a bit after DB super had ended so we recommended some other long shonen like One Piece and Naruto. He watched Naruto + Shippudden in like a Month. He started in a Weekend and By monday he was already in the 3rd round of the Chuunin Exams. He now watches stuff ocasionally but thats fine. Noone really needs to get into Anime hardcore to be considered Into Anime.

If they like SciFi and mostly stuff with time travel, Reccommend something like Steins Gate. If they stuff like Family Guy or South Park you can EVENTUALLY recommend Gintama to them even though for that one they will need to be kind of into anime to get.

Don't be the Dude that reccommends stuff like DXD or HOTD to the dude that probably wants a dark seinen Anime to be proven wrong or since they like Slasher Films (Even though in that case HOTD would be a Good option if you told them its a Parody but you get my Gist).

Also, Recommend Mainstream Stuff. Thats what they will find the easiest. That is what will have dubs so they can Watch it without feeling weird. Give them a headstart and let them enter the rabbit hole deeper if they want to later on.
GokaiKingJul 15, 2019 9:06 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 15, 2019 9:06 PM
Jul 2018
Just the fact that they are going into anime with an open mind, and are willing to make the most of it, tells me that the chances of them getting into anime would be great. Maybe not exactly 100%, as it would still depend on the individual person, and like everything in the world, there's those who like it and those who don't. But, again. If they went into it with an opened mind and conscience, and really wanted to experience the best of it, the chances of them taking to it would be great. Even if they were older in age.
Jul 15, 2019 9:42 PM

Oct 2012
Gingko said:

Considering what you said its even harder.

Then I just can think about Monster, but there is nothin similar to Monster so you are gettin the person to anime, cause Monster doesnt represent what anime is.

what about slice of life? Is there some that could be liked by the regular western taste? maybe Makoto Shinkai stuff?
Well, it's probably hard if we reject anime with any examples of the above. I want to limit it as much as possible. A few examples come to mind that doesn't rely much on typical anime tropes. Monster is definitely one. Detroit Metal City, Kids on the Slope, Ping Pong, Tatami Galaxy, and Rakugo are good choices in my opinion. You'd be right to say that they don't represent anime at all. My view is to give a soft for people to get used to all the elements so eventually they become desensitized to the weird stuff, like we all are. The restrictions can loosen on the second or third choice, etc. I deliberately left out movies because I think it's pretty easy to find good examples.

I'm primarily addressing adults, probably 20+ years old, give or take. I guess depending on the person, if you know he likes more drama or faster paced movies, then you wouldn't recommend something like Tatami Galaxy. Maybe the action will distract him from the weird stuff. In that case, Attack on Titan or whatever might do. But if you know absolutely nothing about the individual's tastes, or if the person is older, and probably not as open minded, and has no prior exposure to Asian culture, then I would give them these "sanitary" suggestions, cleaned from all the fan service and anime tropes that might make him think it's immature. If it's a younger, more metropolitan person, probably has Asian exposure from YouTube or Kpop, or just more open minded people in general, then obviously use your best judgment.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jul 16, 2019 4:58 PM

Oct 2017
Yeah what do you think anime is sigh..... (I am getting tired of this mentality in the anime community) I am pretty normal myself shocker. As long as you enjoy the art of animation to some degree you can enjoy anime.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» If you could change one anime into being a hardcore ecchi, which one would you pick?

APolygons2 - 9 hours ago

27 by Jackson1333 »»
14 minutes ago

» Do you think Berserk will ever get the adaptation it truly deserves?

Gashadokur0 - Today

34 by ColourWheel »»
26 minutes ago

» Post the Last Anime Items you bought ( 1 2 )

SpeedyAlchemist - Mar 10

94 by Kruszer »»
32 minutes ago

» What anime seem cursed to only be mediocre adaptations?

eblf2013 - 39 minutes ago

0 by eblf2013 »»
39 minutes ago

» A century-old anime just discovered in Japan

TRC_Randy - Yesterday

21 by eblf2013 »»
43 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.