Forum Settings
Forums

Not everything need to be revolutionary/groundbreaking

New
Jul 11, 2019 8:59 AM

Mar 2012
I don't believe in the necessity that everything should be really different for it to be enjoyable. "Not this shit again" "here we go" "another one of this trash" "seen one seen it all" etc. Every series is under one big umbrella of trope which are inherent for it's genre and there are bound to be one that include several similar trope out there.

Does series having the same trope with other make it bad? Not really. Does following certain formula make it generic? Not necessarily. All in all it only a matter in how much they are willing to play by the book be it going straight or get into a detour here and there.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Jul 11, 2019 9:08 AM

Sep 2018
I agree with this.

Just because it follows the same formula doesn't always necessarily make a show bad, but I think that there's a point where it DOES become this way.

Take the isekai genre for example. It was a pretty neat and unique idea that really blew up in the early-mid 2010s, with a few select shows that get popular (Sword Art Online, Log Horizon, Overlord, etc.). But now that we've seen this trope used so much, it starts to get tiring, even if there are certain twists that do try in their own right to make it.

To add on to your original point, it's really hard to be original in this day and age, whether it be movies, music, TV, etc. because chances are that if someone thinks of something they think is unique, chances are that it's already been done before.
"Literary experts revealed that reviews on sites like MyAnimeList kill more than 200 brain cells per second."

- Joey, "The Anime Man"
Jul 11, 2019 9:32 AM

Oct 2017
I made this exact statement in the title of this thread a few days ago. People who use 'generic' as a criticism are often just tired of the genre or tropes, or just didn't like them in the first place.

I think these are good reasons for individuals to dislike stuff but to then say those things are objectively bad is just trying to justify ones own opinion by trying to convince others they should think the same.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Jul 11, 2019 9:36 AM

May 2019
I totally agree. I see a lot of people especially on here always insult a show by calling it generic and saying how they've "seen it all before". Just because an anime is similar to other animes within its genre, DOES NOT mean it's a bad show. Some people actually really enjoy seeing similar stories (which is why there's a lot of people who stick to only a few genres when it comes to anime) and that's totally fine. Plus, with how many animes that are out there, it's hard to be completely original when it comes to a story. There are so many animes out there you are bound to find similarities to other animes.
Jul 11, 2019 9:49 AM

Apr 2019
I prefer originality but I´m that kind of guy who needs his couple of isekais every season, so yeah, I think I agree with you.
Jul 11, 2019 9:49 AM

Oct 2012
I mean I'm really not gonna be inclined to watch something if I feel like the synopsis sounds indistinguishable from a bunch of other shows. It doesn't mean those shows are bad tho. Theres no point complaining about something you've never even watched.
Jul 11, 2019 10:05 AM

Sep 2018
I agree but only to some extend, i get that a show doesnt need to be original to be enjoyable but calling a show "generic" is still valid criticism, some shows are to 80% or 90% just the same as the next and thats shit, the Isekai setting,Shounen and Harem genre are the ones that suffer the most from this problem.

If you see the 5th Shounen were every supporting Character can be for 100% put in the "aggressive kid" or "pussy but hidden strong or intelligent" category ofc these shows can be enjoyable to some extend but to really write something good imo you need to take those tropse and give them some development the more significant the better.

I agree that its hard to be original but its not hard to take a unoriginal trope and make it interesting, some examples would be Welcome to the NHK (it took the shut in pulled out into society trope but gave the "saviour" itself some conflict), god forgive Berserk (edgy anti hero trope) or to take a newer example A Place Further Than The Universe (cute girls trope).

But at the end of the day i still need my shitty generic Harem Isekai, cause everyone needs a bit trash in their life.

Its hard to be original but its not hard to craft a interesting narrative.

Jul 11, 2019 11:14 AM

May 2009
YossaRedMage said:
I made this exact statement in the title of this thread a few days ago. People who use 'generic' as a criticism are often just tired of the genre or tropes, or just didn't like them in the first place.
inflowing said:
I totally agree. I see a lot of people especially on here always insult a show by calling it generic and saying how they've "seen it all before". Just because an anime is similar to other animes within its genre, DOES NOT mean it's a bad show. Some people actually really enjoy seeing similar stories (which is why there's a lot of people who stick to only a few genres when it comes to anime) and that's totally fine. Plus, with how many animes that are out there, it's hard to be completely original when it comes to a story. There are so many animes out there you are bound to find similarities to other animes.
I wholly agree with both of these.

"Generic" criticisms are almost always about the premise and its details (e.g. starting character archetype).

Sure, it's fine to like novelty value.

But at the same time, there is also value in perfecting something that has been done before.

And besides, every story is different. If you actually go through a bunch of "generic" shows, in the same genre and with similar premises, you'll find that theh all deviate from each other in various ways -- the character developments, the atmosphere and aesthetics, the types of plot events and their pacing...
GlennMagusHarveyJul 11, 2019 11:17 AM
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jul 11, 2019 5:10 PM

Jul 2014
Yep, I agree. Sometimes I like repetition. But switched up just a little bit.
Jul 11, 2019 5:28 PM

Oct 2013
Feel the same way whenever I see someone complain about a new ecchi, harem or isekai series.

A lot of mecha anime have similar elements, but I'm excited whenever a new one comes out. And really some of the complaints people use can be applied to pretty much every genre.
Jul 11, 2019 5:54 PM

Aug 2009
That's the beauty of having low expectations: Expecting everything to be shit always opens up an opportunity to be pleasantly surprised.

Jul 11, 2019 7:33 PM

May 2018
Agree I just need it to be entertaining.
Jul 11, 2019 7:45 PM

Jul 2014
I agree that if it follows a certain archetype doesn't necessarily make it generic. But all in all it has to still set itself apart for its counterparts. That's the problem with anime most dont really set themselves apart from the others.
Jul 11, 2019 8:29 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
To begin with if everything could be groundbreaking or original, so it's definitely an unrealistic expectation. Anyway, the real problem people have with "generic" anime is just that they're done poorly and/or don't properly develop characters and the world, which is why is that the shows that are lower rated to that get most criticised for being "generic".

Or maybe we're just hypocrites complaining about originality and then asking for recommendations like "an anime like X that I really liked".
Jul 11, 2019 9:06 PM

Aug 2018
I both agree and disagree with you.

Not everything has to try to break into new heights. But at the same time this is the reason we get abysmal garbage because nothing tries to be fresh and new, striving to stand out.
warning this idiot is a professional retard
Jul 11, 2019 9:08 PM

Jan 2009
insert generic comment here saying there is no originality anymore but only different and better execution
Jul 12, 2019 1:41 AM

Mar 2012
BatoKusanagi said:
To begin with if everything could be groundbreaking or original, so it's definitely an unrealistic expectation. Anyway, the real problem people have with "generic" anime is just that they're done poorly and/or don't properly develop characters and the world, which is why is that the shows that are lower rated to that get most criticised for being "generic".

Or maybe we're just hypocrites complaining about originality and then asking for recommendations like "an anime like X that I really liked".
I think it matter of how much effort you do to explore the trope you are using. If you want to do it straight then do so with embracing all of the trope associate with it entirely. If being different actually make it worse then I prefer if nothing is changed. As the saying goes "don't fix what not broken".
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Jul 12, 2019 2:43 AM

Sep 2014
Sure, it doesn't. But I believe there is merit to an idea alone. I will never agree with the whole 'it's only about the execution' mindset some people present. Brining an interesting, exciting idea and trying it out in a show is something artists should aspire to do.
Personally I will take a poorly executed good, fresh idea over a product that doesn't seem to do anything fresh.

And yes, you're right, you can probably put almost everything under some 'umbrella', but there definitely are different degrees of 'generic' out there. Some shows take an age old setting and concept and pour a lot of soul and own identity into it. Other reuse pretty much everything and just switch character designs around and the only defense people are able to come up with is completely inconsequential differences to the plot. Which are not very meaningful and usually come way too late to catch the viewers interest.
And I think it's important to recognize that. That's my biggest problem with the word generic, its use is too broad.
Jul 12, 2019 10:45 AM

Jan 2018
Most of you guys have said stuff that I would say myself, so yeah I think isekai is like a pizza that you can get different toppings to spice it up. For me, the core essence of isekai is that I don't feel like it's a chore to watch yet because you can't really go wrong world building with your imagination unless the writing or animation value really suck.
Jul 12, 2019 10:48 AM
May 2019
Yeah I agree with you anime doesn't have to be a masterpiece in order to be enjoyable.
Jul 12, 2019 11:10 AM
Mar 2018
I both agree and disagree to a point. I believe that a show should always try to be one of the best, but that is not necessarily always done through covering fully new ground, but also (and in reality is done more often) through building on what has come before. But certainly even if a show doesn't succeed in innovating, that doesn't make it bad.
Jul 12, 2019 11:25 AM

May 2017
The key is "Execution". You can have a show with the same formula as any other show, but some can simply do better because of better writing and pacing.

Literally, all isekai shows are like this. A lot of them are horrible pieces of trash and everyone should avoid like the plague, but there are gems from this mound of cockadookie.
「ボクは…確かに現実に絶望している。だけど、自分には絶望していない!! 今がつまらないか…楽しいのか…平凡なのか…決めているのは現実じゃない。決めるのはボクだ!!ボクが望めば不可能はない!!」-桂木桂馬
"True, I've given up on the real world. However, I haven't given up on myself!! The world doesn't get to decide whether my life is boring, fun, or ordinary because that's my decision to make!! As long as I have the will, nothing is impossible!!" -Katsuragi Keima
Jul 12, 2019 12:33 PM

Oct 2014
I disagree, to more of an extent than most people in this thread, and wholeheartedly against those who think generic isn't a valid criticism. I sat on this thread without reading it for a while because i was hoping for some interesting discourse before i jumped in, but it never happened.

I'll start by saying i think there is a problem with the premise of the topic, as i've never seen anybody say everything needs to be revolutionary/groundbreaking, and you admit the idea that having a shared trope doesn't necessarily make something bad which implies not everything needs to be generic to have fault, just one aspect.

My first point to the actual basis of the thread, is there needs to be a line drawn between familiarity and generic. Being familiar is simply recognizability without crossing any relative borders of interchangeability, while generic denotes to lacking imagination or individuality, being predictable AND unoriginal. Let's take characters for example and talk about interchangeability, if you're interchangeable (generic) you lack the very nature of what it means to be a character or a believable person, you become nothing more than a device who's purpose is to solely facilitate development, narrative, or plot in a very bland fashion. While if you're at worst just familiar you stand alone within your distinct individuality which is well within the means of what a character or person is, while you can still be used as a device you're infinitely more compelling and enjoyable because we share the illusion that the character has real agency in their life and isn't a puppet.

Second crucial point is how you make that distinction, the requirement is having points of reference, you absolutely need to have a framework of which to operate in otherwise any claim can be dismissed as unfounded or a parroted critique from someone else. I find it to be a common fault but not the most prevailing defense against the criticism of being generic, that people don't have many or any points of reference, the most prevailing faulty defense i would say is most people who dismiss fatigue don't understand fatigue especially in a review sense. Fatigue is real and occurs more often in those who look at more than simple enjoyment in shows, it's contextually different in the eyes of those who critique, and if you need an easier understanding from an enjoyment perspective think about genre purists who get numb over a period of time to what they enjoy.
Edit: An addendum, i'm not saying generic is only a result of fatigue, you don't need to be tired of it to recognize being generic.

So what is revolutionary or groundbreaking? Can everything be like that? Yes and no. Literally and practically speaking no, not everything can be dramatically different or pioneering. You would even be hard pressed to find something of being a pure existence of that sentiment. The key is variance, and i think Gainax/Trigger are the absolute definition of what i'm talking about from rise to fall. For those unaware, a lot of the same staff worked on Evangelion, FLCL, TTGL, Kill la Kill, Darling in the FranXX and Little Witch Academia. They have pioneered so much in the industry and revolutionized genres over and over, their influence is probably the most impacting out of any group of people in anime. You can starkly see with TTGL and KLK that they're quite familiar, even being spiritual predecessor and successor, but they're not generic or rip offs of themselves, except when you look at DITF you can see that it crossed the line for a lot of people. Even for their new Promare movie the accusations from the Fire Force creator that they plagiarized him and people believing the studio is creatively bankrupt from even rehashing Kamina from TTGL as the protagonist. They shoulder an impossible burden from their own work.

Variance is hard, especially when it comes from the same person or group of people, look how successful OPM and Mob Psycho are, you can see the artist in his work. This plays into my first point of familiarity, you can tell it's ONE's story, the same with Fire Force for those who have seen Soul Eater. You can only create so much variance from a single source without crossing the line of self-plagiarism or being generic. Think about what it means to be human, an individual, think about the word individual and understand that there is nobody who can be you except you and realize how that encompasses everyone who ever lived, now apply that to my first point of familiarity and a single mind creating unique characters that seemingly have their own agency. If you've been following me that's what it means to see an artist in their work and how easy it is for us to judge anime from all these different sources and the difficultly placed on creators.

In conclusion the point isn't for everything to be revolutionary or groundbreaking, it's simply not to be generic. Go for familiarity not homogeneity.

TL;DR Just read the post, and if you have an opinion on it in any way please let me know.

Edit: Grammar.
LunilahJul 12, 2019 12:52 PM

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Jul 12, 2019 1:34 PM
May 2015
The point is getting a balance between popular mass appeal and distinct uniqueness that makes something stand out.
Jul 12, 2019 1:41 PM
Dec 2017
I totally agree. While coming up with a relatively unused idea is more interesting, there's nothing wrong with shows that happen to follow the same (or similar) formula. It's crazy how many times I've seen people dislike a show simply because the idea isn't completely fresh.

Isekai and shounen especially tend to fall victim to this and it's unfortunate. Generic does not equal a bad show.
Jul 12, 2019 6:02 PM

Oct 2017
Lunilah said:

I think I get your general point. But you're still creating a very blurry line between 'familiar' and 'generic' which is quite esoteric and just serves to move the goalposts as to what counts as 'generic'. And that - quite agreeable - definition is not going to stop the real problem which is it's mis-use and over-use. The word is thrown around by people that either have the genre fatigue you mentioned, or don't like something so just resort to using 'generic' as a buzzword. I think much of the frustration I and others have with how the word is used comes from how it is so flippantly applied to shows for following any kind of formula at all.

Also, I think it's very rare for an entire show to be generic. Sure, it can have generic elements, but how much of a show has to be generic to justify labelling the entire thing as such? It's just such a lazy criticism to say 'x is generic'. Guarenteed 99% of the times people do that, they can't actually back it up other than "well others shows have the same thing"... and it's often something like people who say Sheild Hero is generic because it has a group of cute girls surrounding the protag, when there would be nothing more original about having a mix of people or girls which aren't cute. Where is the value in changing up a winning formula just for the sake of how often it's used? If the most popular formula were something else, suddenly a group of cute girls is good because it's not used as much? Does that not seem wrong? The quality of a show is based on the content of others shows? I don't believe so. Though... I'm not sure. I've gone down this road before and the final destination is that watching too much anime makes you bad at judging quality and the best critic is one who has seen nothing before. And... I actaully think there's a lot of truth to that, which is sad, but hey, the truth often is.

Ultaimtely though, 'generic' is simply lazy criticism the vast majority of the time.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Jul 12, 2019 6:24 PM

Aug 2018
Disagree.
But doing something enjoyable from nothing counts as innovating in my book or at least it doesnt count as being generic.

For example Kimetsu no Yaiba currently airing hasnt done a single thing to surprise or innovate the genre but its still incredibly good.
That being said i wouldnt call KnY generic since while im watching it there isnt a bell ringing and screaming "This is literally "xxx" from "xxx" "
Black Clover also currently airing has only innovated in the fact that Asta and Yami arent oblivious to shounen tropes and Asta

I wouldnt consider the shows generic simply because KnY does a solid execution that isnt by any means particularly bad (except Zenitsu, fuck Zenitsu) at any point (one of the things that have defined FMA has one of the big rated animes for so long) and BC blatantly and shamelesly reproduces the tropes and plots we have seen already with good character interaction. Also the majority of character archetypes in BC do work with their quirks and it feels like there is a give and take (the guy who likes to fight tries to fight with new introduced characters, etc) in their exchanges.
They aren't simply quirky for the sake of removing a check list in "How to make a generic anime"

When i say something its generic its because it feels like there isnt an ounce of love/creativity/story mojo being put in a story.
Isekai Cheat Magician currently airing had one of the most boring first episodes i have seen all year.
There wasnt a single scene that didnt felt painfully copypasted from every anime ever made before it.
That's something i can consider generic.
CordobezEverdeenJul 12, 2019 6:28 PM
I never lie on the internet. What's the point of it...
the chinese noodles ad is an anime and avatar isn't!
triggered

Check out my taste and my profile.
Jul 12, 2019 6:35 PM

Mar 2013
when ya churn out 120 shows a year, you better not be surprised when people complain about shit being repetitive.
Jul 12, 2019 6:37 PM

Oct 2014
YossaRedMage said:
Lunilah said:

I think I get your general point. But you're still creating a very blurry line between 'familiar' and 'generic' which is quite esoteric and just serves to move the goalposts as to what counts as 'generic'. And that - quite agreeable - definition is not going to stop the real problem which is it's mis-use and over-use. The word is thrown around by people that either have the genre fatigue you mentioned, or don't like something so just resort to using 'generic' as a buzzword. I think much of the frustration I and others have with how the word is used comes from how it is so flippantly applied to shows for following any kind of formula at all.

Also, I think it's very rare for an entire show to be generic. Sure, it can have generic elements, but how much of a show has to be generic to justify labelling the entire thing as such? It's just such a lazy criticism to say 'x is generic'. Guarenteed 99% of the times people do that, they can't actually back it up other than "well others shows have the same thing"... and it's often something like people who say Sheild Hero is generic because it has a group of cute girls surrounding the protag, when there would be nothing more original about having a mix of people or girls which aren't cute. Where is the value in changing up a winning formula just for the sake of how often it's used? If the most popular formula were something else, suddenly a group of cute girls is good because it's not used as much? Does that not seem wrong? The quality of a show is based on the content of others shows? I don't believe so. Though... I'm not sure. I've gone down this road before and the final destination is that watching too much anime makes you bad at judging quality and the best critic is one who has seen nothing before. And... I actaully think there's a lot of truth to that, which is sad, but hey, the truth often is.

Ultaimtely though, 'generic' is simply lazy criticism the vast majority of the time.
I thought i was being very clear about where the lines of familiarity and generic are, can you point to where you think i was blurry? Either way i realize the word generic is overused quite a lot which is why i went to those great lengths to detail everything the way i did, but there is really nothing you can do about it and due to that it's not worth trying to solve. At best i think what you can do if you want to do anything is become more informed and create a more proper discourse.

I infer when people call something generic to be one of the major drives of a story whether it's the narrative, plot, or characters which i think is enough for most people to label something generic. Whether or not they elaborate/defend their position is up to them, but if it's a common intersubjective stance then there has to be some sort of self evident merit to it even if it's incorrect. I don't think it's about winning or most popular formulas because there is nothing wrong with general familiarity, as someone who does think Shield Hero is very generic in various ways i can defend that position. I'll focus on the girls: I have no problem with having a horde of girls around the protagonist, as long as they're their own characters, which in Shield Hero they aren't, you can seemingly replace them with any other character from their represented trope and have no effective difference on the narrative or plot. Whereas in Konosuba it's the exact opposite, the girls are actually quite compelling and are not replaceable, they're distinctive enough within their own tropes to merit acclaim. That is the crux of my 2nd 1st* point in my original post.

The quality of something is absolutely based on everything else, that's what it means to be quality. If the best critic is one who has seen nothing before, then that means they have no scale of what good or bad is and cannot discern what makes something great making them effectively useless. To have greatness it's a must to have every other level below it all the way from garbage that shouldn't exist, otherwise greatness itself doesn't exist.

Edit: Correction.
LunilahJul 12, 2019 7:23 PM

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Jul 12, 2019 6:41 PM
May 2017
fst said:
when ya churn out 120 shows a year, you better not be surprised when people complain about shit being repetitive.
To add on to this concept, making so many shows takes away from the quality of the actual good shows that are airing. Japanese animators are overworked enough as it is. We don't need a billion shows, especially when half of them are the same.
Jul 12, 2019 7:01 PM

Mar 2012
CordobezEverdeen said:
Disagree.
But doing something enjoyable from nothing counts as innovating in my book or at least it doesnt count as being generic.

For example Kimetsu no Yaiba currently airing hasnt done a single thing to surprise or innovate the genre but its still incredibly good.
That being said i wouldnt call KnY generic since while im watching it there isnt a bell ringing and screaming "This is literally "xxx" from "xxx" "
Black Clover also currently airing has only innovated in the fact that Asta and Yami arent oblivious to shounen tropes and Asta

I wouldnt consider the shows generic simply because KnY does a solid execution that isnt by any means particularly bad (except Zenitsu, fuck Zenitsu) at any point (one of the things that have defined FMA has one of the big rated animes for so long) and BC blatantly and shamelesly reproduces the tropes and plots we have seen already with good character interaction. Also the majority of character archetypes in BC do work with their quirks and it feels like there is a give and take (the guy who likes to fight tries to fight with new introduced characters, etc) in their exchanges.
They aren't simply quirky for the sake of removing a check list in "How to make a generic anime"

When i say something its generic its because it feels like there isnt an ounce of love/creativity/story mojo being put in a story.
Isekai Cheat Magician currently airing had one of the most boring first episodes i have seen all year.
There wasnt a single scene that didnt felt painfully copypasted from every anime ever made before it.
That's something i can consider generic.
I'll use Maou-sama Retry as an example. First thing is it didn't necessary bring something new to the table. But I think it is a good series due to the treatment that character receive. They are not excessive in the personality and there is a point of wholesomeness in their interaction.

My point is that you can stay within the confinement of a trope but can still bring something good for the table. It just matter of how much your willingness in playing around with it.

To me the effort alone can be considered a plus. But if it is taken too much for the sake of being different which affect the overall story then it is a minus. Everything must be proportional.
Jul 12, 2019 7:20 PM

Mar 2012
Taifood said:
fst said:
To add on to this concept, making so many shows takes away from the quality of the actual good shows that are airing. Japanese animators are overworked enough as it is. We don't need a billion shows, especially when half of them are the same.
What make you think that having less will be equal to quality? The inner working of anime production is not that simple. It's not like math when you subtract something and add that to another variable. Having less anime mean that less animator would be hired since most of them are sub contractor and freelancer.
Jul 12, 2019 7:57 PM

Aug 2018
NeoAnkara said:
I'll use Maou-sama Retry as an example.

My point is that you can stay within the confinement of a trope but can still bring something good for the table. It just matter of how much your willingness in playing around with it.

To me the effort alone can be considered a plus. But if it is taken too much for the sake of being different which affect the overall story then it is a minus. Everything must be proportional.

Oh no if Maou Sama Retry continues with what has shown in ep 2 (incredibly funny and stupid) its going to be by far a ton of things but generic (i really liked ep 2 if i wasnt clear).

I don't agree with your last point either.
I would rather see something burn and crash trying to do something new rather than staying in the painful safety of being generic.

Revisions was an awesome show (it was really bad) with an insufferable protagonist.
But it was so freaking fresh to see an asshole having so much screen time that i was hugely invested after the first episode.
Ultimately the show lacks proper characterization, proper villains, proper twists and has a confusing ending but the MC never stops being a huge ass.
It was freaking amazing.

One of the reasons i like so much "bully" characters or straight up assholes.
They shake the story to terrain foreign to anime. You see dialogues and scenes that simply are unique because no mangaka tries to make something as hideous and twisted as having someone as disrupting and off putting as an asshole in their story.
Simply being shitty or repulsive isnt enough since this kind of behaviour its seen in a ton of villains.
Yes im a basic bitch that really likes Vegeta and yes he murdered like a hundred people in the Buu Saga for its pettyness and his bloodlust. It was freaking amazing and something i would like to see more in anime.

Balance in anime ultimately leads to a common path. I don't like that.
It restricts the number of plots to "safe routes" instead of breaking the cicle of eternal reciclyng.
I want an isekai in which the protagonist goes psycho mode and obliterates anything that crosses him (no loli, waifu, child or brother is safe from his rampage).
No antihero bullshit. A straight up irredeamable villain without an harem that follows him for how much of a "nice guy" he is.

triggered

Jul 12, 2019 8:08 PM

Mar 2012
CordobezEverdeen said:
NeoAnkara said:
I'll use Maou-sama Retry as an example.

Oh no if Maou Sama Retry continues with what has shown in ep 2 (incredibly funny and stupid) its going to be by far a ton of things but generic (i really liked ep 2 if i wasnt clear).

I don't agree with your last point either.
I would rather see something burn and crash trying to do something new rather than staying in the painful safety of being generic.

Revisions was an awesome show (it was really bad) with an insufferable protagonist.
But it was so freaking fresh to see an asshole having so much screen time that i was hugely invested after the first episode.
Ultimately the show lacks proper characterization, proper villains, proper twists and has a confusing ending but the MC never stops being a huge ass.
It was freaking amazing.

One of the reasons i like so much "bully" characters or straight up assholes.
They shake the story to terrain foreign to anime. You see dialogues and scenes that simply are unique because no mangaka tries to make something as hideous and twisted as having someone as disrupting and off putting as an asshole in their story.
Simply being shitty or repulsive isnt enough since this kind of behaviour its seen in a ton of villains.
Yes im a basic bitch that really likes Vegeta and yes he murdered like a hundred people in the Buu Saga for its pettyness and his bloodlust. It was freaking amazing and something i would like to see more in anime.

Balance in anime ultimately leads to a common path. I don't like that.
It restricts the number of plots to "safe routes" instead of breaking the cicle of eternal reciclyng.
I want an isekai in which the protagonist goes psycho mode and obliterates anything that crosses him (no loli, waifu, child or brother is safe from his rampage).
No antihero bullshit. A straight up irredeamable villain without an harem that follows him for how much of a "nice guy" he is.

I don't believe in "so bad it's good" kind of thing. Bad is bad and good is good. For better or worse I'm straight laced guy.

Anyway I also like some irredeemable villain myself. Specially the one that cause chaos and destruction for the heck of it. Good example would be current villain in Black Clover. Nothing better than a villain that get their just dessert.
Jul 12, 2019 8:11 PM

Mar 2013
NeoAnkara said:

I don't believe in "so bad it's good" kind of thing.

that's because you're wrong. should probably work on that first.
fstJul 12, 2019 8:15 PM
Jul 12, 2019 8:14 PM

Mar 2012
fst said:
NeoAnkara said:

I don't believe in "so bad it's good" kind of thing.

that's because you're wrong.
The only thing that wrong here is your quote which I just fix..
Jul 12, 2019 8:17 PM

Aug 2018
NeoAnkara said:
I don't believe in "so bad it's good" kind of thing. Bad is bad and good is good. For better or worse I'm straight laced guy.

Anyway I also like some irredeemable villain myself. Specially the one that cause chaos and destruction for the heck of it. Good example would be current villain in Black Clover. Nothing better than a villain that get their just dessert.

Oh no Revisions wasnt bad at all. It dit a lot of things poorly but being critical its average.
Despite its glaring issues i liked it a lot and ultimately the problems in the show being so crystal clear helped to enjoy it too since you kinda have to roll your eyes at them (the character designs of the villains or the scene in which a guy dies when he definitely shouldnt have died).
triggered

Jul 12, 2019 8:21 PM

Mar 2012
CordobezEverdeen said:
NeoAnkara said:

Oh no Revisions wasnt bad at all. It dit a lot of things poorly but being critical its average.
Despite its glaring issues i liked it a lot and ultimately the problems in the show being so crystal clear helped to enjoy it too since you kinda have to roll your eyes at them (the character designs of the villains or the scene in which a guy dies when he definitely shouldnt have died).
Well I won't watch it but thanks for the info anyway.
Jul 14, 2019 6:48 PM
May 2017
NeoAnkara said:
What make you think that having less will be equal to quality? The inner working of anime production is not that simple. It's not like math when you subtract something and add that to another variable. Having less anime mean that less animator would be hired since most of them are sub contractor and freelancer.
Easily. Less animators means higher demand for them, which means they can negotiate better working conditions and better working conditions produces better quality.

It's besides the point. The industry doesn't need this many shows, for the viewer's sake and for the industry's sake.
Jul 22, 2019 2:28 PM

Apr 2015
[quote=Taifood]
NeoAnkara said:
Easily. Less animators means higher demand for them, which means they can negotiate better working conditions and better working conditions produces better quality.

It's besides the point. The industry doesn't need this many shows, for the viewer's sake and for the industry's sake.

Isn't it the other way around? Let's says there's X number of animators now. If the number of shows gets reduced, you'd have same X number of animators applying to a more limited number of animation spots. If anything, that would drive the wages down (willing applicants exceed number of positions).
Jul 23, 2019 9:20 AM

Jul 2013
I agree with the topic here and I just want an anime to be original.
Jul 23, 2019 9:29 AM

Oct 2018
Of course not. Who thinks that it has to be?

For some pieces to stick out and be revolutionary/groundbreaking in the first place you need some mediocre pieces to set a standard. If everything was "revolutionary" it would be the set standard, and would become the average.
【🇳​🇪​🇼​ 🇵​🇷​🇴​🇫​🇮​🇱​🇪​ 🇩​🇪​🇸​🇮​🇬​🇳​】

I accept all friend requests! - Feel free to add me!

Jul 23, 2019 9:47 AM

Dec 2014
At this point, after +10 000 anime created until now, tens of thousands of manga, if not more... and thousands of Light Novels, Visual Novels, Games, etc.... even the most groundbreaking and original new anime is just ''a bit of everything with a twist... twist that was actually done too in other circumstances...'' I think that many of those who complain about generic anime simply stopped enjoying anime, but are yet to realize it, and are stuck doing it anyway. Most of us, when we started watching anime we would devour anything, and spend most of our free time watching anime... and we enjoyed it. But in time you grow up out of it. You either find something else to do with your time, and watching anime becomes something rare and casual, or it becomes a routine and you get bored. In the second case, if you have nothing else to occupy your time with, you may be stuck in the nostalgia of the past, or under the obligations of the otaku title you gave yourself so many years ago... I see this here all the time. Peoples who watch all the anime in the season despise not enjoying most of them or forcing themselves to finish anime they don't like, or watching 2x speed... Is obvious those peoples don't enjoy anime anymore, and just do a routine, or go through countless of anime, hoping to find those few shows, that somehow will make them feel what they felt when they started watching anime for the first time.
So guys... analyze seriously the issue. Ask yourself: ''Do I enjoy doing this anymore?'' If you don't, just move on... Or reduce the quantity. I watch an anime or two, every 3 months or so. And I am fine with it. You can't get stuck doing the same thing forever. You grow up and your interests change.
There is no such thing as generic anime. All of them are generic, and they had been for decades. They had been generic when you started to watch them too, even if it was 5 or 15 years ago. You enjoyed them then because they were something fresh, and you see them as generic now because you've watched so many that you see the similarities, and know the tropes.
Jul 23, 2019 10:38 AM

Dec 2018
Tropes and clichés aren't bad if used properly, but most anime seem to throw them in for no particular reason.

And personally speaking, I think having a large amount of 'generic' or 'average' anime makes a unique show stand out even more. If I look at the anime I've rated a 10, I see that they have something unique, as in an aspect that made them rise above other shows of the same genres. Having a lot of great or special anime will get tiresome eventually. It's funny, really, on one side you want more great shows such as those, but on the other you know that if they're going to mass produce it, it will lose that unique touch.
Oregairu is life
Jul 23, 2019 10:43 AM

Jan 2017
I whole heartedly believe in one phrase :- 'As long as cliches are done perfectly, the show will definitely be enjoyable'

More topics from this board

» Anime adaptation wish list

kuroneko99 - Apr 5

26 by TheBerserker »»
4 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

233 by Maumuu »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » What tropes do you find the most annoying in a protagonist?

ZeroMajor12 - 1 hour ago

11 by Rhaelynne »»
7 minutes ago

» MULTIPLE UNRELATED anime that you think could be set in the same anime universe

IpreferEcchi - 34 minutes ago

2 by Zarutaku »»
11 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 48 minutes ago

12 by Ratris_Decision »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.