Forum Settings
Forums

What do you think the next popular anime genre will be?

New
Jun 26, 2019 10:49 PM
Nov 2012
There have been quite a few noticeable genre trends in the past 12 years. These trends have caused most anime of their genre to appear generic and predictable.

From the supernatural monster trend, to the magical girl trend, to the action magic high school trend, to the isekai explosion, what genre do you think will be the next to be popularized? What genre would you not want to see explode in popularity?
Jun 26, 2019 10:53 PM

Apr 2018
Regarding the ecchi genre:

More thicc teachers please

I couldn't care less what people jerk off to, but that loli shit gets stale after a while
Jun 26, 2019 11:02 PM

Aug 2015
I think that 'slice of life' has the potential to be more popular in the coming years

Regarding the genre that i would hate to see become popular,then that would be yuri,yaoi,mecha and idol genres
Jun 26, 2019 11:03 PM

Mar 2012
Sport genre because of Olympic 2020.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Jun 26, 2019 11:14 PM

Aug 2015
NeoAnkara said:

Oh Yes,this too

there would be many sports related anime coming out from japan(many would be anime originals or even sponsored by japanese olympic committee) atleast till olympics
Jun 27, 2019 2:23 AM

Mar 2008
Probably there eventually will be a popularity of interactive anime but it won't be produced a lot because it would require more work.
Jun 27, 2019 5:48 AM

Mar 2015
Calling it now, esports anime. Something al la King's Game.
Jun 27, 2019 6:11 AM

Jan 2009
hopefully more science fiction stuff
Jun 27, 2019 8:37 AM

Jun 2015
NeoAnkara said:
this might be true, which sports though will make or break it for each series.

the only thing that comes to mind with olympic type sports is that hot garbage homoshit yuri on ice, no one wants that.
Jun 27, 2019 8:39 AM
Apr 2016
Probably sports, they tend to sell pretty well.
Jun 27, 2019 8:43 AM

Dec 2014
seinen stuff as older people discover anime
Send me Friend requests!!!!
Jun 27, 2019 8:46 AM
Jul 2018
Storm_blessed said:

Hopefully, but I think the chances of that happening are slim: anime has been around for a long time, so many anime fans have become older, yet the mature, seinen, anime are still few and not as popular.
Jun 27, 2019 8:49 AM

Jun 2015
I sometimes have wet dreams about every shitty seasonal fantasy show getting replaced by an at least okay mecha show
Jun 27, 2019 8:57 AM

Nov 2014
Isn't it a little too soon to decide yet?
Jun 27, 2019 8:59 AM
Jul 2018
HopefulNihilist said:
Storm_blessed said:

Hopefully, but I think the chances of that happening are slim: anime has been around for a long time, so many anime fans have become older, yet the mature, seinen, anime are still few and not as popular.

Target demographics don't really mean that much, in anime.

Plenty of "not so mature" seinen manga out there to adapt. And plenty of mature shounen, as well.
Jun 27, 2019 9:39 AM
Jul 2018
I am hoping for a revival of the battle royale style anime. But better.

But more likely it will be even cuter cuties doing even cuter things.
With even bigger eyes.
Jun 27, 2019 11:57 AM

Dec 2014
HopefulNihilist said:
Storm_blessed said:

yep, im a seinen fag, i still think there are too less titles in that genre. hope people stopped catering to seasonal harem shows...
Jun 27, 2019 2:33 PM

Aug 2009
Comedy, but done in the cynical style of shows on Adult Swim.

Jun 27, 2019 3:06 PM
Apr 2018
A genre that will take less effort and work. Maybe a mix of cute lolis and battle shounen. Cute girls doing battles etc. Maybe a little slice of life as well.
Jun 27, 2019 3:22 PM
Apr 2018
FoxFire75 said:

With even bigger eyes.

Battle royal would be good. Just give us 10 people and let them kill each other one by one.Not with mindless killing of course.

Also, in this season we get this anime instead of a battle royale. Pretty close to what you said about cute girls. However, it has surprisingly seinen tag.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/39456/Sounan_Desu_ka
Jun 27, 2019 3:34 PM
Jul 2018
Rojitoki said:
FoxFire75 said:

With even bigger eyes.

Battle royal would be good. Just give us 10 people and let them kill each other one by one.Not with mindless killing of course.

Also, in this season we get this anime instead of a battle royale. Pretty close to what you said about cute girls. However, it has surprisingly seinen tag.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/39456/Sounan_Desu_ka

My god, and they try to fit soooo much plot into 15 minute episodes -.-
Thanks, pass XP
Jun 27, 2019 3:35 PM

Jul 2017
Storm_blessed said:
HopefulNihilist said:

yep, im a seinen fag, i still think there are too less titles in that genre. hope people stopped catering to seasonal harem shows...
agreed, there are few seinen animes. But there's quite a lot of seinen mangas. not sure if your list is up to date but since you've loved berserk and pluto I'm sure you'll spend hundreds of hours on mangas like vagabond, monster, vinland saga etc.
Jun 27, 2019 3:51 PM

Jun 2014
I believe that hot bishie/male idol Anime will continue to grow in popularity, and if they're based off games, hopefully they'll continue the trend of leaving the female protagonist out of the Anime.

Jun 27, 2019 4:16 PM
Jul 2018
Storm_blessed said:

What the hell does that even mean? Seinen isn't a genre.
Jun 28, 2019 8:19 AM

Dec 2014
Zehennagel said:
Storm_blessed said:

agreed, there are few seinen animes. But there's quite a lot of seinen mangas. not sure if your list is up to date but since you've loved berserk and pluto I'm sure you'll spend hundreds of hours on mangas like vagabond, monster, vinland saga etc.

i know there are lot of seinen mangas out there, im dying to read it. But dont want to read it online or in fact on my PC... i prefer hold physical copy in my hand, rather than straining my eyes looking at the computer screen. Those who usually read online know what i'm talking about "Everything looks black and white after reading for an hour". And there aren't any manga store near me or in this whole country for me to buy :(
i'm getting off topic, so i'll stop venting now
Jun 28, 2019 10:21 AM

Jun 2015
you fags all know the real answer to this is moar cheap 3dCGI shit
Jun 28, 2019 2:11 PM

Jul 2017
Storm_blessed said:
Zehennagel said:

i know there are lot of seinen mangas out there, im dying to read it. But dont want to read it online or in fact on my PC... i prefer hold physical copy in my hand, rather than straining my eyes looking at the computer screen. Those who usually read online know what i'm talking about "Everything looks black and white after reading for an hour". And there aren't any manga store near me or in this whole country for me to buy :(
well, that sucks. I agree that reading with books is better. I haven't ever experienced that thing you've talked about even after reading online for up to 6 hours in a row a few times... maybe because I've got the "night" mode all the time and the blue lights are toned down? probably, in fact. try doing that, your eyes ajust in less than a minute and you don't see the difference. anyway it's your decision anyhow and I understand it, I myself almost only read online.
Jun 28, 2019 2:19 PM

Apr 2019
Storm_blessed said:
HopefulNihilist said:
+1 one another geezer who just recently got into anime (after being out of good movies and series to enjoy). The gray and bald will soon rule the planet! I found there are 100s of hours of age appropriate anime from the past for me, but the more the merrier. Seing adult faces in anime gives me somebody to identify with.

Jun 28, 2019 11:40 PM

Dec 2014
Zehennagel said:
Storm_blessed said:

well, that sucks. I agree that reading with books is better. I haven't ever experienced that thing you've talked about even after reading online for up to 6 hours in a row a few times... maybe because I've got the "night" mode all the time and the blue lights are toned down? probably, in fact. try doing that, your eyes ajust in less than a minute and you don't see the difference. anyway it's your decision anyhow and I understand it, I myself almost only read online.

Hmm yes I have tried decreasing the blue light however it didn't help much, maybe it's just my eyes... But I play games for 3 hours straight with no repercussions.
Anyways yes I always wanted to read Vinland saga, I'm glad it's getting adapted now. Monster has a great adaption too. I've heard great things about vagabond and looking at some of the panels, the art is as good as berserk. Hope wit or bones studio take it up.
Jun 29, 2019 6:30 AM
Jan 2019
madarchod said:
I think that 'slice of life' has the potential to be more popular in the coming years

Regarding the genre that i would hate to see become popular,then that would be yuri,yaoi,mecha and idol genres
madarchod....never thought I'm gonna meet a fellow Indian with this name lol
Jun 30, 2019 1:46 AM

Aug 2015
Ricochet2000 said:
madarchod said:

madarchod....never thought I'm gonna meet a fellow Indian with this name lol

Hahaha....happy to know another fellow indian on this site and you are not the only one who had noticed my 'unique' username
Jun 30, 2019 2:21 AM

Jan 2019
still shounen fighting / ecchi is the most popular genre.
Jun 30, 2019 12:45 PM

Jul 2015
More science fiction, especially those that concern time travel in some way, (Orange or Steins;gate type series, or a character travelling back in time maybe)
Jul 1, 2019 9:05 AM

Jul 2014
In terms of ecchi, more thicc thigs coming, I know this for a fact, been to 2050.

More topics from this board

» Anime Openings with Sound Effects

_MushiRock11_ - Mar 28

11 by AverageRiceFan »»
13 seconds ago

» Which character in your favorites do you think is the strongest in a Fight, and which is comparatively Weakest?

IpreferEcchi - Apr 12

11 by AverageRiceFan »»
2 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Today

37 by Hikinekomori »»
4 minutes ago

» What's your most controversial anime among your favorites? ( 1 2 3 )

Kushna - Apr 5

103 by AverageRiceFan »»
5 minutes ago

» What anime tend to get grouped together despite being at least somewhat different from each other, in your opinion? (Think Barbie and Oppenheimer)

arinthach - Apr 11

22 by AverageRiceFan »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.