Forum Settings
Forums

How much does "nostalgia" affects your score?

New
Jun 23, 2019 3:32 PM

Aug 2015
Do you purposely give high score to animes which you have seen during your childhood or early anime watching days? despite knowing that if you had watched them now,you would have probably given them a low score or would have not liked them at all, due to them being filled with many plotholes,bad animation etc

P.S,i have rated pokemon,digimon,beyblade,yugioh,fate/stay night(07) and naruto quite highly, all because of nostalgia, as they were my childhood favorite series which got me into anime, but i know that all of them have many flows and would not been as much liked by me if i had not watched them during my younger years.

Jun 23, 2019 3:51 PM

Jul 2011
I rated my childhood anime quite high too because they brought me joy back then. Flawed or not I can overlook that when it comes to nostalgia

Jun 23, 2019 3:54 PM
Jun 23, 2019 3:57 PM

Mar 2016
I do try to suppress the nostalgia factor when rating anime I watched as a kid. Like, I want to give a lot of them nines or tens, but I just can't justify it—so long as I know that the anime holds a special place in my heart, then I don't really care trying to be a bit more "objective" (lol) about my rating.
Jun 23, 2019 4:37 PM

Oct 2008
My first 10/10 scored anime is rated so high because of nostalgia. Now I would rate it 7/10, but I would never change the score now.
Jun 23, 2019 4:54 PM

Nov 2011
If I rewatch them, I will also rerated them.. I know that some of them are nearly impossible to rewatch because of the number of episodes or availability ...
Having said that, I never scored them too high in the first just because nostalgia factor..
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Jun 23, 2019 4:55 PM
kinda tired

Apr 2017
It doesn't, as I've only been watching/reading for only a bit less than 3 years now. Ain't really got stuff that may link with nostalgia.
Jun 23, 2019 4:57 PM

Jan 2016
So for the most part, I haven't put my nostalgic series on MAL, but I'm pretty sure I'd rate them based on how much I enjoy them now. It's just that with nostalgia, I'd probably still enjoy a lot of them more than I would otherwise.
You have shit taste, and then I have taste so shit it makes your taste look good
Jun 23, 2019 5:01 PM
Mar 2018
Not at all. Because I did not grow up with anime, and I didn't start watching any anime until I was 16. So I have 0 Nostalgia with anything on my list.
Jun 23, 2019 5:04 PM

Jun 2015
I just rate them how I remember them.

It's silly to give a show a lower rating just because your tastes changed.

It's been 5 years since I've regularly started watching anime. I've grown as a person, my preferences has evolved and I certainly don't hold the same standards as before. But I'm not going to rerate Full Moon wo Sagashite or change Rokka no Yuusha's score just because I know they will be subjectively less enjoyable if I rewatch them. I just hold them to the memory I have and rate as is.
Jun 23, 2019 5:21 PM

Jan 2016
AmMar-Sama said:
MaskOfIce said:
It's just that with nostalgia, I'd probably still enjoy a lot of them more than I would otherwise.

How does that even work? I don't get it. I'm re-watching Digimon right now, and despite how nostalgic I feel towards the world and characters, I still hated every second of the experience so far because the show is just terrible.

It's a case of being able to focus more on what is/was good about it and ignoring its problems or at the very least chuckling at them. For me, if there's parts I remember fondly, I tend to be able to just focus on those. But it does depend on the show and how good those parts are
You have shit taste, and then I have taste so shit it makes your taste look good
Jun 23, 2019 5:30 PM

Oct 2017
I like to find a balance, but at the same time nostalgia definitely has big affect on my scoring. I don't know if nostalgia is the best way to put it though. I regularly look over my list and ask myself how much certain anime have stuck with me.

I might have enjoyed something a lot when I watched it, but when I look at it in my list it doesn't inspire any emotion and/or memories. If it hasn't got that kind of emotional staying power then I consider it a bad thing and will occasionally lower the score for that reason. Works the other way too though.

Some examples that stick out in my mind:

Non Non Biyori. Started at an 8 but over time it has risen up to a 10. Just thinking of NNB still makes me feel warm and fuzzy. I've rewatched it entirely twice and will still often put episodes on to go to sleep to.
NGE. 8 -> 9 -> 8 -> 9. I think I might even have had it at a seven at one point.
Deathnote. 10 -> 9.
Lucky Star. 7 -> 9.
Your Name. 10 -> 8.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Jun 23, 2019 5:33 PM

Apr 2014
a lot. my scores are based on enjoyment, and nostalgia adds enjoyment i didnt even have when i watched the series
Jun 23, 2019 7:35 PM

Dec 2016
AmMar-Sama said:
MaskOfIce said:
It's just that with nostalgia, I'd probably still enjoy a lot of them more than I would otherwise.

How does that even work? I don't get it. I'm re-watching Digimon right now, and despite how nostalgic I feel towards the world and characters, I still hated every second of the experience so far because the show is just terrible.

And how can you feel hate towards something you claim you have positive feelings towards at the same time? I don't get that either xD

Btw, Digimon is a show designed and intended to be watched by kids, it's not supposed to fulfill adult standards. Don't be so harsh...it's not a series meant to appeal to adults' demands....
SoldierDreamJun 23, 2019 7:49 PM
Jun 24, 2019 12:50 PM
Jul 2018

I did not add most of the shows I've watched 20 or 30 years ago, mainly because I didn't see them in their entirety. I do remember some of them VERY fondly, some I remember being slightly annoying.
But the thing is, I would not trust myself to give them any rating based on my fuzzy memories alone.
The ones I liked I will rewatch though ( or plan to ) and then rate them. So that kinda takes out the nostalgia factor, right ?
Jun 24, 2019 3:33 PM
Jul 2018
FoxFire75 said:

I did not add most of the shows I've watched 20 or 30 years ago, mainly because I didn't see them in their entirety. I do remember some of them VERY fondly, some I remember being slightly annoying.
But the thing is, I would not trust myself to give them any rating based on my fuzzy memories alone.
The ones I liked I will rewatch though ( or plan to ) and then rate them. So that kinda takes out the nostalgia factor, right ?

Same. I only rate older series that I have rewatched recently, preferably in Japanese. Unfortunately many older series are unavailable or hard to find in good quality, let alone in Japanese. Some dubs are atrocious too.
Jun 24, 2019 3:48 PM

Jan 2017
Short answer: no.
Long answer : no, I don't.
Jun 24, 2019 3:50 PM

Aug 2018
None, and I think anyone attached to a show because of nostalgia is a dumbass. I bash shows that I used to love without second thoughs... but I also love some of the ones I used to love, because I think they were genuinely good.

Loving something just because you enjoyed once makes no sense.
Jun 24, 2019 4:01 PM

May 2018
Out of all the anime I scored, Dragon Ball (Z) is probably the only one that gets an "nostalgia bonus" off me, not by much though.
Other than that, nostalgia does not affect my other shows ratings whatsoever.
Jun 24, 2019 4:23 PM

Feb 2017
Well when I was in highschool and just got into anime I thought FullMetal Alchemist Brotherhood was the best shonen anime ever made. 5 years later nothing changed.
Jun 24, 2019 4:29 PM

Dec 2015
It's hard for me to say if I would like a show if I didn't grow up watching it. Although I have went back to anime and ended up not liking them as I did as a kid.

For example when I watched it in middle school I probably would have given History's Mightiest Disciple Kenichi a 9 now it's a 6 for me.
Jun 24, 2019 7:08 PM

Nov 2017
I don't care for nostalgia, so it doesn't affect my score whatsoever
Jun 24, 2019 7:13 PM
Dec 2017
It doesn't have any effect on my scores at all. And I am always coming back and reviewing and changing my scores as I watch more shows.
Jun 25, 2019 2:21 AM

Jul 2016
I rate my scores how I liked them at the time I watched them, for example, my first anime was SAO and I loved it, but now that I watched a lot of other stuff, it just isn't that great compared to the rest BUT I'm not going to change the score because I don't want to forget how great I thought it was
Jun 25, 2019 2:28 AM

Aug 2018
The ratings for anime I've watched when I was a kid (Pokémon, Digimon, etc) aren't affected by nostalgia goggles.
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this message is unavailable in your region.
Please come drink tea, eat cake and procrastinate at the Cute Girls Doing Cute Things Club. We have simulwatches! \o/
Jun 25, 2019 4:39 AM
Oct 2018
It certainly did affect my score when I was rewatching Oregairu but not so much when I rewatched Death Note.
--

More topics from this board

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

223 by iftsistrnn »»
4 minutes ago

» Do you consider the opening(s) and ending(s) when rating an anime? ( 1 2 )

Hacker075 - Mar 15

62 by _ATG_ »»
5 minutes ago

» Would you be surprised if someone said your favorite anime was the greatest anime of all time? ( 1 2 )

MeanMrMusician - Mar 28

58 by _ATG_ »»
9 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

85 by maya2003s »»
15 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 8 hours ago

27 by shiro-seishun »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.