Forum Settings
Forums

If there was a historic anime set in your country, what would it be about?

New
Jun 3, 2019 12:38 PM

Nov 2018
In my case it would most likely be set in World War I or II as I am from Germany and I don't think there is much to doubt about that xD I wouldn't even care what perspective it would be in, although it would be interesting to see it from a soldiers perspective from either side, it could be interesting to see the story of Stauffenberg and the following coup d'etat (or at the least how they tried).

For everyone who doesnt know the story: I mean the bomb under the table on the 20th July 1944, the bomb had been planted by Stauffenberg, a fellow officer of Hitler, and was supposed to kill the Führer during a meeting in the "Wolfsschanze", a bunker. If you didn't know it yet, Hitler lived until 1945 so yeah.

Now I wanna know what would the setting be in your country?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 3, 2019 12:46 PM

Aug 2017
In a dystopian future, humanity's favourite hobby is watching bulls kill each other gladiator style. After years of suffering, the bulls decide to rebel against society, and they do it by breaking through all of the campaments they prison in them.
Humanity cannot defend themselves from this coordinated attack, and later on, with almost of the world population wiped out, they decide to build a city surrounded by walls where they can live in peace. Or they thought...
Jun 3, 2019 12:48 PM

Feb 2013
it would be about the most famous voievod, vlad tepes

but he would probably be a loli

it could also work in the communist period as some kind of hetalia spinoff featuring the other moe dictators : https://imgur.com/gallery/zxUmu
Jun 3, 2019 12:53 PM
Feb 2019
Well, since I'm hungarian, I would assume they would make an anime about the Huns from when they were the top power in Europe.
Jun 3, 2019 1:01 PM

Mar 2012
Most fun thing I can think of is an adventure anime about the Agronauts coming to my country (Georgia) in search of the Golden Fleece, they can add some ridiculous plot twists and fantasy stuff.
Jun 3, 2019 1:08 PM

Mar 2019
Probably about drug dealers fighting the police in the favelas of Rio de Janeiro, maybe slice-of-life-ish..?
Wait a minute, how did this happen? We're smarter than this!
Jun 3, 2019 1:13 PM

Oct 2018
800 A.C when in "Poland" Legend of the Piast dynasty is created and ppl still are pagans. It could be something like The Witcher.
Jun 3, 2019 1:15 PM

Aug 2017
Probably ABBA, or just a bunch of swedish musicians in general

Like every episode could be about something different that impacted the music industry, for example Roxette, Ted Gärdestad etc.

I'm gonna be honest, I would love an anime like this oof
Jun 3, 2019 1:17 PM

Jan 2017
It will be about The Hanging Gardens of Babylon and The Epic of Gilgamesh
Jun 3, 2019 1:21 PM

Jan 2019
It would have to be about the Revolutionary war, but all the main historical figures would have to be replaced with lolis. Also, I would love some merchandise of cute girls with muskets and tri-corner hats.
Jun 3, 2019 1:22 PM

Jul 2017
Maybe the War of 1812? Nice to see the White House getting burned down anime form huehuehuehuehue

As for my home country, probably something about the Mughal Empire or teh Bangladesh Liberation War, which I guess would be nice to see
Jun 3, 2019 1:23 PM
Jul 2018
Probably something about the life of Sissi - Empress Elisabeth of Austria - not that I would watch it though. Unless they make her a vampire, then maaaybe.

Amadeus the Animation would be my second guess.
Jun 3, 2019 1:24 PM
Jul 2018
It would be about the French Revolution. Imagine all the possibilities! >:D
Jun 3, 2019 1:25 PM

Oct 2010
The time is 100 BC and the dacians are preparing for a Roman Empire invasion led by Trajan who wants all the hot dacian women and red wine, it'll be something like Angolmois but edgier and full of drunkards, dumb strategies and plot holes.
Jun 3, 2019 1:25 PM
Jul 2018
Felix_Gordon said:
800 A.C when in "Poland" Legend of the Piast dynasty is created and ppl still are pagans. It could be something like The Witcher.

I would watch that. I will forever have a place in my heart for the people who made Witcher 3 XD
Jun 3, 2019 1:28 PM

Jan 2017
Well, there's quite a few possibilities...

Roman Britain - the initial conquest, the centuries of Roman rule, or the departure and subsequent decline of civilisation as we think of it today

The Norman Conquest - a tragedy centred on Harold Godwinson and ending at the Battle of Hastings might work

Wars of the Roses, leading into the Tudor dynasty - Henry VIII, Mary and Elizabeth I could all make for good stories. (Or, hell, focus on Francis Drake and his adventures, or Shakespeare.)

The wildlings beyond the Wall Scots have some pretty awesome history too... for one local to my family, try an adventure comedy based on Rob Roy, cattle rustler and folk hero extraordinaire.

Napoleonic Wars, told from the perspective of the Royal Navy, experiencing its golden age as true rulers of the waves.

Both world wars have more interesting things going on elsewhere - the Blitz is more of a backdrop to other stories going on, and I've never personally found it very interesting. However, Project Ultra at Bletchley Park would be a fantastic bit of history to make an anime about. It even comes with a pre-made quirky cast of characters! And smart and sexy code-breaking waifus!

I'm probably biased, but I'd also quite like to see an anime set during the Falklands War as well... but it's very possibly too soon. Oh well.
Jun 3, 2019 1:30 PM

Nov 2017
Melody2222 said:

yes, imagine the rose of versailles
Jun 3, 2019 1:32 PM
May 2018
It would have been about hundreds of years of slavery.
Jun 3, 2019 1:34 PM

Mar 2015
Who would win: a giant Russian army vs some ski bois the anime
Jun 3, 2019 1:41 PM

Apr 2015
Obvious answer would be Winter War or Continuation War with just lolis doing the shooting and Mannerheim would have his own loli harem instead of young pretty boys. But nah, I'd rather have witch-hunting in Åland the anime.
Jun 3, 2019 1:51 PM
Jun 2019
It would be about Leftraru (Lautaro) and his fight against spaniards.
Born in 1534, He was captured as a child and raised by Pedro de Valdivia, lieutenant on the conquest of Chile.
He learnt from the spaniards the art of war, how to ride and tame horses and then returned to his people, the mapuche.
Then He proceeded to teach the mapuche the knowlegde he adquired from the spaniards, to prepare them for war. The mapuche were used to fight pretty much like "barbarians" so this was the first time in story that they started to fight with tactics, and horses.
After years of fighting, he managed to ambush Pedro, killed him and then ate his hearth, as a sign of respect to him as a warrior.
Then he proceeded to win most of the battles, afterwards drought and hunger start to devastate his people, and he turns into a Dictator who kidnaps childs from different mapuche towns for war.
Yeah, so it would make a pretty good story imo.
Jun 3, 2019 2:09 PM
Jan 2019
Probably an endless game of rock paper scissors with The Venetian Republic, Habsburgs and Ottoman Empire over land and who gets a bigger chunk of our sea. And that's just the medieval times. (we were on the same spot since the 7th century,I think there is enough source material)

Not to mention,our kings and dukes could be compared with the best/worst shonen mcs: they were either epic bosses or denser than a brick wall.

Narrator voice: *ehem* "We follow a tense historical action drama set in Dubrovnik (yes,THE Game of thrones Dubrovnik) with our brave protag-kun Trpimir as he unravels a veil of conspiracies surrounding the royal family and the bloody battle for independency which awaits just behind the corner."

Edit: in 90% of times we were the ones getting cucked.

Jun 3, 2019 3:08 PM

Oct 2013
Either it'll be about when we almost defeated Russia at the peak of our power when Sweden was at top with King Charles the XII

Or it'll be about the time Inge the Elder King of Sweden defeated the last followers of Thor in Uppsala and made it a disgusting Christian country afterwards

Unsure what I would prefer honestly
Jun 3, 2019 3:10 PM
Sep 2018
a short form anime about drinking tea and eating crumpets
Jun 3, 2019 3:26 PM

Nov 2018
Melody2222 said:

well a french anime could also be about World War II and the french resistance against the german troops, that said it would probably be a standalone OVA..
Jun 3, 2019 3:31 PM

Nov 2018
O_Arkano said:
Probably about drug dealers fighting the police in the favelas of Rio de Janeiro, maybe slice-of-life-ish..?

I don't know if it would count as historic, but I'd love to see it from the police side and how they chase down some boss(es), and by police I mean like a decently high ranked officer. The story could have a few twists here and there, maybe a combination of Police, Thriller and Drama?
Jun 3, 2019 5:02 PM

Oct 2008
The Russo-Turkish War, ww2, the origin of the Martenitsa or The Madara Rider or Madara Horseman, I'm a bulgarian so those are the only things I can think of.
Jun 3, 2019 6:54 PM

Jun 2017
There is already Arslan Senki for my country (and I still haven't watched it) so don't know but it's obvious there is always shows about war and action. Well Otoyomegatari somehow sets in near Iran and it's slice of life which is something I like more...
Jun 3, 2019 7:02 PM

Jan 2019
Either Martial Law during Former Pres. Marcos' presidency, or the drug wars of incumbent President

Did you know every time you sigh,
a little bit of happiness escapes?

Jun 3, 2019 7:02 PM

May 2019
Maybe something about jack the ripper. There are already a few historic anime about england, anyways.
Jun 3, 2019 7:06 PM

Jan 2009
most probably about colonialism/imperialism of Spain, Japan, USA here ye i live in the Philippines
but i doubt many people here in the philippines will care about history since its not romance and drama but if they added those then it will be a blockbuster lol
degJun 3, 2019 7:09 PM
Jun 3, 2019 7:19 PM

Jun 2015
That would be the anime adaptation of Ad Astra: Scipio to Hannibal

Jun 3, 2019 7:23 PM

Dec 2015
Probably WW I or II, Congo Free State, the battle of the gold spurs, Ambiorix or the Belgian Revolution, although our latest political landscape would make for an interesting story too with both the extreme right and extreme left winning elections at the same time.
Jun 3, 2019 7:23 PM

Jan 2009
KinetiX04 said:
Either Martial Law during Former Pres. Marcos' presidency, or the drug wars of incumbent President

the Marcoses are forgiven now by the majority of people here i think, just look at how they won high government posistions, same with other corrupt politicians even presidents like Arroyo and Estrada lol we filipinos are either too forgiving or we have short term memory

as for the drug war ye that can be interesting as a movie but for TV series there is already Ang Probinsyano
Jun 3, 2019 7:30 PM

Dec 2012
There are already plenty of things set in the US. I guess the Revolutionary War or the Civil War are always interesting topics. Or you can just give me the rest of Baccano and I'd be happy.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jun 3, 2019 7:34 PM
Jul 2018
I live in America. A historic anime set here, would probably be the Civil War. The story would (hopefully) be about an African-American slave (although given Japan's huge disdain for dark skin, there probably wouldn't even be any African-Americans featured in the anime), who joins the war on the union's side in exchange to be free. At first, he doesn't care about the cause of the war, or the people fighting for it, and hates white people. But as the anime progresses, he grows to care. Later on, he has to deal with the conflict of having to fight an old friend, an African-American, who joined the war on the Confederate's side to also be free.
Jun 3, 2019 7:45 PM

Dec 2016
Probably about some massive earthquakes and their consequences, TM8.0 style.
Jun 3, 2019 7:46 PM
Jul 2018
I'm Indonesian so I guess it'd have to be about the Majapahit Empire.

Trading and shit, and uniting all the islands together, its height of power and its downfall. There would be no action since they were reliant on building relationships and having vassal states offer tributes instead of conquering by power, they partied alot and the King would go around the Empire playing shows/skits for the people, it'd probably a Slice of Life.

Or it can be about Gajah Mada, the Royal Guard that crushed the rebellion and put the king back in power, and when the king was assassinated by his surgeon, he put his sister on the throne, was appointed Prime Minister and brought the empire to the peak of its glory by uniting all the islands, mainly through power. Also, not once was he unfaithful to the people, he did a few questionable things near the end of his time as Prime Minister but it was done in good will.
Jun 3, 2019 7:47 PM

Jun 2012
idk maple syrup and passive aggressive behaviour
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Jun 3, 2019 8:34 PM

Jan 2018
There would be lots of black people.
Jun 3, 2019 8:59 PM

Feb 2014
Could be based on any of the hundreds of major events and periods between 3000 BC and the partition of India in 1947.
Jun 3, 2019 9:31 PM

Apr 2016
There was 91 Days, but it was pretty barebones and didn't really explore the life of the mafia, booze trafficking or distillation; it was your usual revenge story that could've been set anywhere.

Personally, I'd love to see an anime about the struggles of the first American settlers, as they tried to build their houses with what materials they could before winter, plant crops and fail, try to ration food, trying to learn the language of the natives and trade with them, survive anthrax epidemics among their animals, get lost in the mountains, freeze during the winter, and so on. Or the, a Little House on the Prairie-esque SoL anime about living in the mid west during the mid to late 1800's. Otherwise, I'd prefer a war epic set during either the Revolution or the Civil War, with both sides represented with protagonists in the same vein as LoGH.
Jun 3, 2019 9:33 PM

Oct 2015
The 2016 Election and what happened afterwards
Jun 3, 2019 9:40 PM

Jan 2009
Nightmare21st said:

you already have some of that here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Measures_(film)

but personally i have not seen it
Jun 3, 2019 9:48 PM

Oct 2015
deg said:
Nightmare21st said:

you already have some of that here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Measures_(film)

but personally i have not seen it

Well of course there are tons of docs out about this, but not an anime. That would be amazing
Jun 3, 2019 10:10 PM

Apr 2017
romagia said:
it would be about the most famous voievod, vlad tepes

but he would probably be a loli

it could also work in the communist period as some kind of hetalia spinoff featuring the other moe dictators : https://imgur.com/gallery/zxUmu
I vote for that too, but I really think the most famous voievod is Stefan cel Mare

『 The truth has power because it’s the truth.
And because it is the truth, that makes it just.
It’s persuasive, isn’t it? Don’t you want truth like that? 』

Jun 4, 2019 2:53 AM

May 2018
zieek said:
The Russo-Turkish War, ww2, the origin of the Martenitsa or The Madara Rider or Madara Horseman, I'm a bulgarian so those are the only things I can think of.

Only those? Aren't you missing tons of other stuff?'
Like for example Simeon The Great who is the first tzar (well, self proclaimed but his son Peter becomes that officially)...and at that point the russians had only knyazs.
Or the Balkan Wars of 1912-1913.

Like it's a crossroad - we have a lot of archaeological layers here from thracians, romans, slavs, than the proto-bulgarians coming in 681 AD and forming the country...and this is only the beginning.

Also the red and white thingy is not based on real historical events - only a legend.
alshuJun 5, 2019 1:23 AM
Jun 4, 2019 9:17 AM

Feb 2010
idk, the most anime-esque thing would be a slice of life show full of incest about the Habsburg empire, I guess.

But in terms of global relevance, it's always gonna be the Nazis. Or maybe Hitler's early days before he went to germany. There's other stuff like the Battle of Vienna during the Great Turkish War or the Wiener Moderne around 1900 which spawned a shitton of important historical figures (artists, scientists, politicians etc...) like Freud, Gödel, Wittgenstein etc..., but realistically the Nazis and Hitler are always gonna be the primary choice when you pick the most impactful historical period of our country.

Personally I'd love a slice of life drama kind of series about the time period of the Wiener Moderne right up until the end of the Habsburg Empire. Something like Hidamari no Ki is to the Tokugawa period.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jun 4, 2019 9:35 AM

Nov 2013
Banyak banget
Kerajaaan Majapahit, Kutai, Sriwijaya, dll
Wali songo
Kolonialisme Portugis, Inggris, Belanda, Jepang
Masa Orde Lama
Orde Baru
Reformasi
“You should enjoy the little detours to the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want.”
Jun 4, 2019 9:38 AM

Feb 2015
The later years of the colonial period up until the Marcos era in the Philippines is already given here. I have to think of something else then :P

We had a reputation as traders, merchants, and seafarers during the pre-colonial times, so it would be pretty much like Spice and Wolf, minus the supernatural and trading carts. Would be interesting too how would they interpret the events about how the Portuguese ships found their way to Japan through the help of the Luções (people of Luzon) during the later period, but that's another case.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Every anime viewer has gone through this phase:

9765 - 21 minutes ago

9 by 9765 »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » should characters be smart or mature for you to enjoy them?

deg - 9 hours ago

16 by DigiCat »»
5 minutes ago

» Most watched anime this season outside Japan

Dije - 2 hours ago

11 by herry98 »»
8 minutes ago

» Your biggest why …?

Yonahim_Zz - 6 hours ago

33 by luisfunes99 »»
9 minutes ago

» mal/Confessions ( 1 2 )

NoelleIsSleepy - May 10

82 by UnstableBrat »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.