Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
May 13, 2019 6:03 PM

Feb 2017
well, this series have similarity with indian or indonesian tv soap opera.
maybe people seems to be like it when the situation become really silly and all character the antagonist so annoying.

MAL score and most user-based rating system are all joke, Imagine trusting plebs and hivemind. Find users who have good sense and rating and use them as a reference. Check my guide to rate
Your taste is trash. Cope, seethe, mald
May 13, 2019 6:32 PM

Feb 2019
this show is similar to goblin Slayer, start off with a show that is dark and gritty & soon nosedive into a snoozefest with a plot that is written by a 6-year-old

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

May 14, 2019 1:45 AM
Jan 2016
It all comes down to target audience who don't really try to go deep and have no intrest in literature master piecing to create something like legendary sword in anime. The creation of WN started a hype which allowed the author to rise up with already laid out plot and reck in (good?) reputation and nice financial backing, which author used to create a fast food like story that will sell fast to all audience can resonate themselves with.

It's like a story for people that have gone through despair, unjustly judged like SSL said, justice-deliver-to-bad-guy.... What is nauseous that best judges that review a story critically favoured this show just to get fame and followers on social media.
May 14, 2019 1:51 AM
Jan 2016
SimonStevens87 said:

I loved Goblin slayer all throughout but perfect is going a little far, definitely deserves to have the scores swapped around with shield hero though, I completely agree, the last 10 episodes have been cow fodder, there was no build up to important moments and when we got to important moments they felt rushed, and at the moment I'm just sort of scratching my head wondering what's gonna happen next, it's rare an anime loses me in the plot but that's kinda where my head is right now, I just hope the ending goes good if nothing else, I don't like to drop anime's this far along but I'm losing interest unfortunately.

This cow fodder is there to prolong the series since the selling point of this is quantity of the content rather than quality. Like archiving the profits through quantity to match with the quality profits like Berserk,Magical index, Overlord.
May 14, 2019 7:23 AM

Sep 2018
First episodes where decent but after that it got so much worse, i guess if you like Isekai it could be watchable,i mean the show wants you to believe everyone that is not with the MC is evil and that alone is just pathetic...aaand it has a kinda Harem what makes it even worse
May 14, 2019 7:52 AM

Sep 2012
It's just overrated, it's not bad but just overrated
May 14, 2019 8:15 AM
Sep 2016
The characters on this anime is fking cringe
May 14, 2019 8:36 AM

Oct 2015
Low_res_Hibiki said:
It is the typical isekai appeal, the fantasy about you (self insetring through naoufimi) are the center of attention of the world, the most correct and fair and the strongest there is ,surrounded by girls that want to fuck you.

Other than that it has to do with expectations, isekai fans dont expect anything else from what I wrote above, and so far the anime has delivered in that aspect, so they dont care about the bad writing or anything else as all of their expectations have been already met.
THIS. This is the best summed up facts for why this show is as popular as it is.
May 14, 2019 4:02 PM
Nov 2015
Nostalgik said:
Low_res_Hibiki said:
It is the typical isekai appeal, the fantasy about you (self insetring through naoufimi) are the center of attention of the world, the most correct and fair and the strongest there is ,surrounded by girls that want to fuck you.

Other than that it has to do with expectations, isekai fans dont expect anything else from what I wrote above, and so far the anime has delivered in that aspect, so they dont care about the bad writing or anything else as all of their expectations have been already met.
THIS. This is the best summed up facts for why this show is as popular as it is.
no this is completely false and is just bad generalization
May 14, 2019 4:46 PM
Dec 2018
Black_Sheep97 said:
Nostalgik said:
no this is completely false and is just bad generalization
basicly every single anime
May 14, 2019 5:03 PM
Mar 2019
Why do we always have to explain why we like things? We could just like it because we just do, we dont need a reason for every single thing we like. Sorry, but ive been seeing this a lot in another anime forum I like recently, and its just getting tiring to see this pop up here now too. So I may sound a little ticked, but not at you, no, just in a slightly annoyed mood. If people dont like it, thats fine, move on. We dont need to be constantly probed for reasons on things we enjoy or dont enjoy
nanidatosama97May 14, 2019 5:07 PM
May 14, 2019 7:46 PM

Dec 2016
nanidatosama97 said:
Why do we always have to explain why we like things? We could just like it because we just do, we dont need a reason for every single thing we like. Sorry, but ive been seeing this a lot in another anime forum I like recently, and its just getting tiring to see this pop up here now too. So I may sound a little ticked, but not at you, no, just in a slightly annoyed mood. If people dont like it, thats fine, move on. We dont need to be constantly probed for reasons on things we enjoy or dont enjoy

Then why are you in a discussion forum? If you don't like a particular topic, move on yourself, instead of getting triggered over nothing.
May 14, 2019 10:57 PM

Aug 2012
thepath said:
These some of the things that make the show appealing

False rape charges
Malty (I don't like her but she makes the show appealing)
Slavery
Action/magic
Leveling up and learn new skills
Naofumi getting bullies and falsely accusing of things while he try to overcome that.
Cute characters

BestBoiEren said:
there is no appeal, its just like the other harem isekais, bad self insert mc, trash story, shitty plain characters etc.

Some people say the same thing about Sword Art Online and Grancrest Senki. Both are in your favorite list

I personally did like both and I think Grancrest Senki is extremely underrated. But i have seen people say that those anime have trash story, and SAO has harem.
Grancrest Senki is bad. Could have been an average anime despite the author knowing jack shit about castles weapons shields military strategy. The problem was when they introduced the german like whore chick and her bf. The chick is evil her motivations are stupid she is a whore but the creator makes its best attempt to make us feel sorry for her despite not deserving it and the end gives her a happy ending which felt like a spit in the viewer's face. She did not suffer or repent to get her forgiveness. She just turned on tge water works. Also her bf is so cucked and effeminate that there is no way he could be a good strategist. And generally a female leader will fail. There are exceptions. For instance that Cleopatra look alike was realistic. To conclude to be a succesful leader you need a level of testosterone women and effeminate men lack. Also the MC is too much of a pansy even close to tge end of the story. SAO was not harem it was just really bad.
May 15, 2019 12:52 AM
Mar 2019
SSL443 said:
nanidatosama97 said:

Then why are you in a discussion forum? If you don't like a particular topic, move on yourself, instead of getting triggered over nothing.

Slightly annoyed= triggered in 2019, good to know, for your information, when I'm triggered at someone, I'm normally swearing or insulting them, all I did is ask why this is a constant thing on MAL.
nanidatosama97May 15, 2019 12:59 AM
May 15, 2019 6:21 AM
Dec 2014
lazypigz said:
Oh hey the last thread got locked. Cool. So to avoid this thread being locked lets not talk about why this is overrated or underrated. I want to know why people think this is good, and I want legit answers, so nothing among the lines of Raphtalia is waifu or stuff like that. Let's discuss.

Look I really can't understand what people like about this how so much. There are other shows I consider to be mediocre that people apparently like, such as Another and the recent Code Geass movie. Though I may not like those titles, I see the appeal in them and why people might enjoy it.

But this, I just fail to see why people like this at all. It's been 17 weeks and I'm still baffled by all this praise. So please, explain to me why people like this so much. I fail to understand how bad CG and other things I won't go into detail on can get a 8+ score on MAL.

Enlighten me. Please. I want to know. I'm not trying to trash on your anime.

The actual appeal of the story is the unique game-y concept of a guy who can only defend and in some cases do a suicide like attack that also hurts himself. The anime unfortunately decided to move away from the stuff that made it unique resulting in a generic harem isekai that we see now. It didn't help that they added a harem vibe in the anime when it didn't exist in the source. They also butchered the character's personalities. The MC was suppose to be a grumpy dude who just wants to get it over with and gtfo and return to his world.
May 15, 2019 8:56 AM

Dec 2016
nanidatosama97 said:
Slightly annoyed= triggered in 2019, good to know, for your information, when I'm triggered at someone, I'm normally swearing or insulting them, all I did is ask why this is a constant thing on MAL.

I think I just said; this is a discussion forum.
May 15, 2019 6:06 PM
Mar 2019
WordIsBond said:
Most scores are higher when the show is airing then go down. I only score when I've completed it and I'm sure a lot of other people do that too. Fake news.
fans don't cheat you at all, when this program was announced and running 1 episode, initially it was fine because the source was in accordance with LN and manga, and this series was very good when viewed from the source, despite the fact that the animation got worse since episode 2 to now, because studios try to cut off a lot of important source material content
May 15, 2019 6:22 PM

Mar 2012
lazypigz said:
I don't know but the thing is that I didn't get the hype surrounding the show even IN the first arc.

I don't think the show changed much throughout it's entire 17 episodes.

It was just child or people who love random isekais settings who like it.
On few discord where I go, people doesn't like it since the start.

Characters, world building, storyline there is nothing good on TateYuusha.
There are few animes worse every season but it's not an anime who deserves an hype.
May 16, 2019 12:06 AM

Jul 2017
Sooo uhhh if general concensus is that the show started to drop in quality, why tf does this still have a high score? I mean it's MAL, we're not supposed to take it seriously, but still.

Do people like Team Rocket tier villains? Just poorly written characters whose sole purpose is to stand in the MCs way?

GFL NA: 151141 | FGO NA: 622,135,030
FGO JP: 028,976,814 | Magia Record JP: rzMsBapp

‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
May 16, 2019 1:13 AM

Mar 2016
Quality dropped like a space station to the ocean...
May 16, 2019 3:40 AM
Mar 2019
lazypigz said:
Sooo uhhh if general concensus is that the show started to drop in quality, why tf does this still have a high score? I mean it's MAL, we're not supposed to take it seriously, but still.

Do people like Team Rocket tier villains? Just poorly written characters whose sole purpose is to stand in the MCs way?
not really, the problem of this event is not a quality problem, but a directing and writing problem in anime, while the manga is made emotionally, MC is made very cruel in the manga, while in anime MC is described as soft and stupid, that's why I said this event has changed to rubbish since the beginning of episode 2, thanks to stupid studio thank you so much I don't care anymore
May 16, 2019 6:07 AM

Dec 2018
lazypigz said:
Oh hey the last thread got locked. Cool. So to avoid this thread being locked lets not talk about why this is overrated or underrated. I want to know why people think this is good, and I want legit answers, so nothing among the lines of Raphtalia is waifu or stuff like that. Let's discuss.

Look I really can't understand what people like about this how so much. There are other shows I consider to be mediocre that people apparently like, such as Another and the recent Code Geass movie. Though I may not like those titles, I see the appeal in them and why people might enjoy it.

But this, I just fail to see why people like this at all. It's been 17 weeks and I'm still baffled by all this praise. So please, explain to me why people like this so much. I fail to understand how bad CG and other things I won't go into detail on can get a 8+ score on MAL.

Enlighten me. Please. I want to know. I'm not trying to trash on your anime.

The actual appeal of the story is the unique game-y concept of a guy who can only defend and in some cases do a suicide like attack that also hurts himself. The anime unfortunately decided to move away from the stuff that made it unique resulting in a generic harem isekai that we see now. It didn't help that they added a harem vibe in the anime when it didn't exist in the source. They also butchered the character's personalities. The MC was suppose to be a grumpy dude who just wants to get it over with and gtfo and return to his world.

"Unique" Perhaps people forgot the first and true hero of the shield in the anime?
May 16, 2019 8:44 AM
Oct 2018
There's no real appeal, teenagers love their edgy stuff. "Oh, everyone hates the MC, he's alone (almost) vs the world and has to sacrifice his body, how cool! Oh, look there, a raccoon cute chick, this must be anime of the season! Wait a second! There's also a loli chocobo queen. Am I dreaming?!!" I'm sorry if I wasn't helpful, I tried to be objective...

I'm not trying to be an asshole btw, everyone is free to enjoy whatever they want and don't need to feel ashamed of it.
May 16, 2019 8:48 AM

Aug 2015
Oh no, you didn't like the anime, so you made your own thread for this? Don't waste your time. Just vote it low and move on.
So many boobs in fairy tail, it's crazy.
May 16, 2019 8:59 AM

May 2013
lazypigz said:

You are flogging a dead horse at this point. Still you want to check if the horse is alive. lol
Truly a Divine Comedy
May 16, 2019 9:50 AM

Jul 2017
rickfurious said:
Oh no, you didn't like the anime, so you made your own thread for this? Don't waste your time. Just vote it low and move on.
Okaaaaaay? That's not the point of this thread but ok.

Also reddit scores are better what dead horse lol.

GFL NA: 151141 | FGO NA: 622,135,030
FGO JP: 028,976,814 | Magia Record JP: rzMsBapp

‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
May 16, 2019 10:55 AM

May 2013
lazypigz said:
rickfurious said:
Okaaaaaay? That's not the point of this thread but ok.

Also reddit scores are better what dead horse lol.

xD if you are intent on taking reddit seriously then why not go through the number of posts that harp on why shieldbro is good for xyz reasons ? It's all there.

I mean, you can see if those satiate your curiosity regarding the show's appeal in a better manner instead, despite it being quite apparent as it was discussed here.
Truly a Divine Comedy
May 16, 2019 11:30 AM
Aug 2009
For me the anime only started ok and is just geting worse and worse and further from the manga that made me hopeful to begin with but its hardly even the same story at all anymore only some more visible parts.
Crazy amounts literaly insane amounts of people are wronfully blamed and punished today in among other places schools.... damn easy for people to identify with that i can gues.

As i se it lots of dumb people in the world no reason to care if they cant see this as the trainwreck it is
The anime simply isnt good anymore its more like a mockery of anime itself ,storytelling, directing, timing, planing, animation, scenery, the original material and just about everything....
But the manga is good last i read
ViqarMay 16, 2019 11:39 AM
May 16, 2019 1:47 PM
Sep 2018
fun mc
decent characters
good plot
meh villains
May 16, 2019 4:07 PM
Dec 2018
The mc of this series is why most people like this anime. He is more human then any anime character out there.

He's not some one-mind set protag who is neither good or evil but this gray character who trys to be good but is willing to do evil deeds in order to survive and protect the people he cares about.
He is not mr. Perfect he has flaws like any normal person, he lets his hate and fear cloud his judgement by rejecting people who willing to help him out and sees everyone has a enemy wanting to use him.
His not your isekai perv protag who goes crasy for cute/sexy girls.
He actually works hard having to grind levels, gather materials for his shield or sell to make money for food, equipment and a place to sleep.
He had to learn this world language so he could read skill books to learn magic skills.

All of this while he had a easy life on his world, not having to work hard for anything in his life and then he was forced summon to a world he doesnt know anything about, gets the fools treatment just becouse he had a shield and then false accoused of sexual assult who ruins his image and is outcast by this society, and yet he isnt "edgy" enough to focus on revenge but to get back to his world so he can forget everything.
May 16, 2019 4:51 PM
Mar 2019
Viqar said:
For me the anime only started ok and is just geting worse and worse and further from the manga that made me hopeful to begin with but its hardly even the same story at all anymore only some more visible parts.

The anime simply isnt good anymore its more like a mockery of anime itself ,storytelling, directing, timing, planing, animation, scenery, the original material and just about everything....

yes I agree, the studio also massacred many characters including MC, this program was like a stupid joke, and there were only 6 episodes left, and I was sure the studio would slaughter everything at the end, if like this I think seeing colored manga would be much better than watching anime
May 16, 2019 10:49 PM
Dec 2018
LightoLhxd4 said:
Viqar said:

yes I agree, the studio also massacred many characters including MC, this program was like a stupid joke, and there were only 6 episodes left, and I was sure the studio would slaughter everything at the end, if like this I think seeing colored manga would be much better than watching anime
like this guy said the anime failed capture even the mc character
May 17, 2019 10:48 AM

Dec 2016
lol at people jumping on the bandwagon to accuse of the anime of being a bad adaptation now that it's turned out to be a shitshow. What happend to all the hype after the first episode? Why is it suddenly a bad adaptation now? 🤔

All the anime left out was that Naofumi is even more of an edgy insert for shitlords. Doesn't change the fact that both versions are shit characters brought about by terrible writing.
May 17, 2019 10:54 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
SSL443 said:
lol at people jumping on the bandwagon to accuse of the anime of being a bad adaptation now that it's turned out to be a shitshow. What happend to all the hype after the first episode? Why is it suddenly a bad adaptation now? 🤔

itt: What is an opinion on a show changing throughout based on how it's developing and the direction its taking?

I don't think that's even close to being an unfeasible thing, and having hype for a show and being into initially doesn't suddenly mean people are going to eat up everything it tosses out at them if they're not particularly into it.

May 17, 2019 11:07 AM

Dec 2016
Manaban said:
itt: What is an opinion on a show changing throughout based on how it's developing and the direction its taking?

I don't think that's even close to being an unfeasible thing, and having hype for a show and being into initially doesn't suddenly mean people are going to eat up everything it tosses out at them if they're not particularly into it.

But the video above is analyzing the start of the series and was just published. It's like the anime made everyone realize this series is a trash heap, so everyone is scrambling to make excuses about why the adaptation doesn't "really" convey the true essense of the original.
May 17, 2019 11:34 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
SSL443 said:
Manaban said:

But the video above is analyzing the start of the series and was just published. It's like the anime made everyone realize this series is a trash heap, so everyone is scrambling to make excuses about why the adaptation doesn't "really" convey the true essense of the original.

Like I said - if an adaptation isn't living up to how somebody perceived the source material as being, then it isn't fundamentally unfair game to say that they dislike this perceived dissonance. To instantly dart to it being about a video being released that's causing people to be more critical of the direction the adaptation is taking and to toss out accusations about people being dishonest and just trying to shift-blame of a perceived lack of quality into an adapted work seems like it's operating on little more than purposefully inciteful polemic, than actually being a worthwhile point to take into consideration regarding the series' actual quality across multiple formats.

It's coming across as totally unnuanced, basically - like you're jumping to the most negative perception that you can possibly form as to why people aren't expressing the same hype and interest that they were initially, and then asserting that to be the case to try to create a specific narrative around the audience for this series as opposed to anything else. That's pretty much all your post told me with how you attempted to substantiate it, at least, and if that is indeed the case, it's pointlessly hostile and adds absolutely nothing of value to the thread or the discussion surrounding the series in general. It's just being an ass for the sake of being an ass, frankly. Which is the type of stuff that makes this entire subforum such a general cess pit.
ManabanMay 17, 2019 11:40 AM

May 17, 2019 11:43 AM

Dec 2016
Manaban said:
Like I said - if an adaptation isn't living up to how somebody perceived the source material as being, then it isn't fundamentally unfair game to say that they dislike this perceived dissonance. To instantly dart to it being about a video being released that's causing people to be more critical of the direction the adaptation is taking and to toss out accusations about people being dishonest and just trying to shift-blame of a perceived lack of quality into an adapted work seems like it's operating on little more than purposefully inciteful polemic, than actually being a worthwhile point to take into consideration regarding the series' actual quality across multiple formats.

It's coming across as totally unnuanced, basically - like you're jumping to the most negative perception that you can possibly form as to why people aren't expressing the same hype and interest that they were initially and then asserting that to be the case to try to create a specific narrative around the audience for this series as opposed to anything else. That's pretty much all your post told me with how you attempted to substantiate it, at least, and if that is indeed the case, it's pointlessly hostile and adds absolutely nothing of value to the thread or the discussion surrounding the series in general. It's just being an ass for the sake of being an ass, frankly.

I didn't shift anything, that video was mainly why I replied - and I wasn't the one that posted the video in the first place.

Seriously, nothing has changed about the first episode, but now people are piling on every part of the show pointing out how "bad" of an adaptation it is. Point being, the trash has been there to see the whole time, but people are only admitting it months later. Seems legit! But no, I'm just being toxic, clearly.
May 17, 2019 12:00 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
SSL443 said:

I didn't shift anything, that video was mainly why I replied - and I wasn't the one that posted the video in the first place.

Sure. And I'm replying to your response to the video and how people were reacting to it and attempting to outline why I think it's an issue.

The accusation of shifting wasn't stemming from a perception shifting the discussion going on in the thread in a different direction, but (again, ostensibly) using the release of the video to attempt to create what's coming off as a pretty self-believed concrete narrative surrounding "why" so many people aren't as into it as they were at first. Trying to shift any given reason why people aren't as into it as they were.

Really, it's not that difficult to grasp.

SSL443 said:
Seriously, nothing has changed about the first episode, but now people are piling on every part of the show pointing out how "bad" of an adaptation it is. Point being, the trash has been there to see the whole time, but people are only admitting it out months later. Seems legit! But no, I'm just being toxic, clearly.

Hindsight is a thing. The way something stands the test of time with somebody and how well they respond to it later is just as much a part of how their opinion develops as it is in what would be the initial onset. That's one possibility.

There's also the issue of trying to homogenize the issue so strongly to the point where it's like you're acting as if these people saying this have to be the exact same people who were all praising it during the initial onset in the first place. It's a fundamental element of what you're trying to assert here, completely neglecting any dissonance from that initial hype and blanketing it all as a singular consensus with a singular interpretation of the series from the onset. Such a basis for a generalizing accusation isn't going to leave me buying what you're selling.

Compounding that with the accusative nature of your post involving your assertion of a dishonest nature in why people aren't liking the adaptation relative to the source, or pertaining to their ability to think for themselves or form their own opinions on something, yeah - it feels kind of obvious to me why I can accuse you of being completely toxic in how you're approaching this perceived shift in the response to the anime adaptation of the series.

EDIT: Alllllsooooooooooo, look at the thread you're making this accusation in, which is the context and the environment you're asserting this huge turn on the series from the initial hype in - because I do see a lot of posts that praise the way it started out and then only turn negative from how it expands on that:

SimonStevens87 said:
First couple of episodes where addictive, they got so much right, character development, world building etc all top notch but it's fallen off a cliff recently, that being said, I'm still looking forward to what's to come, I just hope they actually deliver.

Artifiyings said:

At first it started of pretty well, but now it feels like the second half of SAO when you think about it. It has too many cliches, one dimensional characters and to me the biggest problem is that the important parts don't get explored that easily within the story.

Hitoriki said:
The show was kind of interesting and fresh for the first bunch of episodes. It promised for a different isekai but then totally failed at it. I'm starting to see it following the same trend as SAO of starting with an Interesting premise to then forgetting about it ten episodes in to show that the main character is op and cool. Also the plot twist that
was the most uninspired, boring twist of event possible for this series. The only reason I'm sticking with it for now is to see
after that I'm gone.

incisorr said:
SimonStevens87 said:
First couple of episodes where addictive, they got so much right, character development, world building etc all top notch but it's fallen off a cliff recently, that being said, I'm still looking forward to what's to come, I just hope they actually deliver.

everyone agrees

Mullerio said:
First episodes where decent but after that it got so much worse, i guess if you like Isekai it could be watchable,i mean the show wants you to believe everyone that is not with the MC is evil and that alone is just pathetic...aaand it has a kinda Harem what makes it even worse

I'm seeing a good number of people outright admit to liking it at first before nosediving, and a lot of the more vocal, holistic criticism is stemming from things such as the fundamental premise of the entire series - isekai, edgy, et cetera et cetera, which does lead me to believe they wouldn't have been part of any initial hype train.

ManabanMay 17, 2019 12:07 PM

May 17, 2019 12:07 PM

Dec 2016
Manaban said:
There's also the issue of trying to homogenize the issue so strongly to the point where it's like you're acting as if these people saying this have to be the exact same people who were all praising it during the initial onset in the first place.

Well, some of them are. I don't know about you but I've been watching this sub from when the first episodes started airing.

You can keep replying with pretentious word salad to everything I say, that's fine. I don't recall trying to "sell" you in particular on anything.
May 17, 2019 12:13 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
SSL443 said:
Manaban said:
There's also the issue of trying to homogenize the issue so strongly to the point where it's like you're acting as if these people saying this have to be the exact same people who were all praising it during the initial onset in the first place.

Well, some of them are. I don't know about you but I've been watching this sub from when the first episodes started airing.

I certainly haven't been as active as you have here, I'll cede that. That said, you certainly don't seem entirely credulous in asserting this, given your demeanor towards any fans of this series in this thread, as well as pretty much every other thread I've seen you in on this subforum. /s

SSL443 said:

You can keep replying with pretentious word salad to everything I say, that's fine. I don't recall trying to "sell" you in particular on anything.

Then I'd have to question why you doubled down on your accusation in the first place, as opposed to treating me with apathy or passivity.

If you don't want to try to sell your idea how people are responding to the series isn't as baseless and unfair as I'm making it out to be, why did you attempting to provide a counter-argument to my response to it?

Selling it to third parties, maybe, but that doesn't at all mean I'm just going to sit down. Hence, why I continued pressing why I think it's a dogshit approach. Me not buying it means I'm going to continue pressing it, rather than cede your point to you in that response. It'd be totally undeserved.
ManabanMay 17, 2019 12:19 PM

May 17, 2019 1:15 PM
Dec 2018
SSL443 said:

All the anime left out was that Naofumi is even more of an edgy insert for shitlords. Doesn't change the fact that both versions are shit characters brought about by terrible writing.
sorry i probably should had more to my post there. But ya sure i blame the anime for screwing a lot of parts but i still dont think the anime is "bad" i wont have given a 8 if i thought so. I just reread vol 1 who i havent over a year and i did realize how the anime completly removed the evil persona of the mc. Sure it would add a lot more "edge" into it but having him realize his mistakes later it would give more emotion into it. He is what the story really about.

Also why does "edge" makes a show bad? Is just a category that a lot people are into, you make it sound like its a insult and we should be a shame for liking it.

But i can admit that a lot did overhyped the show calling it "masterpiece", even if the anime stayed true for the LN it probably wont have raised the bar much higher but i do beleave it would have less disapointed fans.
May 17, 2019 1:26 PM

Dec 2013
SSL443 said:

A lot of people tend to do that in general when a series they like gets any criticism, not just Shield Hero fans. For example, I remember someone trying to explain that Shirou (Fate) is better in the the original visual novel (spoilers: no, he's not). Basically they are trying to take the conversation to a place that the opposition has no information about, so they have to give them the benefit of the doubt.

It doesn't work if you've read the source material too though. And I'm sure everyone knows my opinions on Shield Hero LN/WN by now... lol.
May 17, 2019 2:22 PM

Dec 2016
Aniteku said:
sorry i probably should had more to my post there. But ya sure i blame the anime for screwing a lot of parts but i still dont think the anime is "bad" i wont have given a 8 if i thought so. I just reread vol 1 who i havent over a year and i did realize how the anime completly removed the evil persona of the mc. Sure it would add a lot more "edge" into it but having him realize his mistakes later it would give more emotion into it. He is what the story really about.

Also why does "edge" makes a show bad? Is just a category that a lot people are into, you make it sound like its a insult and we should be a shame for liking it.

But i can admit that a lot did overhyped the show calling it "masterpiece", even if the anime stayed true for the LN it probably wont have raised the bar much higher but i do beleave it would have less disapointed fans.

Edge is the inclusion of mature or dark subject matter for the sake of it, rather than in service to some larger central theme. In other words, it's lazy indulgence. Nothing wrong with enjoying an edgy show, but it's still bad writing, pretty much by definition.
May 17, 2019 2:54 PM

May 2014
The show is for people who want to watch an isekai no matter what.
May 17, 2019 9:36 PM

Jan 2019
Honestly I don't really see this show as a master piece or nothing like that. Just the dark theme had a different focus than your average modern isekai.

Sure if people compare it with some of the best stuff out there, it has a lot of flaws. But if you compare it with your average modern isekai in which every MC is a freaking god with a personal harem of desperate galz that want to F... the guy. And in which everyone worship the MC as some saint, plus the mc being super nice with everyone and with a perfect cool headed persona (death march as example) well at least in this one is not like that.

Sure the guy does have a few girls in the party, and he is kind of OP, but at least he is a bit more human than your average isakai MC.
The other 3 guys are idiots, specially the spear dude. But if you have lived enough, and know enough real people you should know that for one smart person, there is a lot of idiots, so while the idiots in this show are really exagerated, it is not imposible for real people to actually act like spear dude.

I really try to not take modern isekai shows seriously, I just enjoy them for what they are. This does not mean that once in a while you could not find a really good isekai, it is just that most of them are very generic.

Now to answer the OP question:
The appeal to me was that the show felt more serious than your average isekai.
Still, I don't really think this show is overrated, sure it may have a score higher on MAL than what many would want, but the show doesnt have hundreds of thousands of crazy followers, nor do you see in forums, MMOS and social media everyone calling themselves Naofumi or something like that.
Take something like Naruto or SAO as example and you will see the fanbase is huge on those animes. I am not comparing the quality of those shows with this one, just trowing the name of shows that are really popular as example.

The thing is that this show seems to have more haters than fanboys. It is close to the level of first SAO season, big difference I guess is that SAO was more popular, so the Clash between haters and fans was bigger. But I remember people dedicating lot of time to hate on it for some reason, the irony is that same hate made the show even more popular. Something similar can be happening here: You see people that hate the show whatever this is because they feel is bad or 'cause it offends them in some way, political reasons or whatever, then you not only see the fanboys defending it, but also the people that dislike the haters, again for political or ideological reasons. So you will not only have a lot of people artificially hating on the show, but also people artificially defending it, just to counter the people they don't like.

As I said before I will just enjoy it for what it is, not caring too much about the show being good or bad, just time will tell if it gets worse as the haters are saying or manage to recover a bit.

fast edit: sorry about posible typos, but on a phone which is spell checking to spanish all the time..
May 17, 2019 10:22 PM

Jul 2009
Luna_Estlin said:
this show is similar to goblin Slayer, start off with a show that is dark and gritty & soon nosedive into a snoozefest with a plot that is written by a 6-year-old

Sadly, this is what I'm also thinking. Started off really promising, but now I'm seven episodes in (haven't updated my list) and can already sense the decline in quality. The cast is just so meh. Funny how I prefer How Not to Summon a Demon Lord from last year, which was a far more generic isekai.

To its credit, the first four episodes were good. Goblin Slayer only lasted one episode before it fell into abysmal territory.
May 17, 2019 11:34 PM

Apr 2019
im all for the premise and revenge isekais
but this just feels like a show that purposfully triggers people which heavily pisses me off due to its ridiculousness

it really stretches the bullshit to a new level, the characters are so full of shit that it kills all the enjoyment im just watching to see the retribution and get some satisfaction out of it lol but overall for me its still 1/10 because the characters are like a -5000/10
too bad, it has such an amazing Composer for the OST and good Animation and Art is not too bad
Kevin Penkin is wasted so hard on this show.

SSL443 said:

There's also an element of emotional manipulation going on. By making the antagonists not only very evil, but very stupid, it spurs incredibly strong negative sentiment against them. Just look at all the comments about how Myne is a bitch who should be murdered or raped.

Essentially, the narrative drive here boils down to one big "told you so". The audience is invited to not only celebrate Naofumi's vindiation, but to revel in the downfall of his enemies. In a phrase, it's justice porn.

i fail to understand why this is something that people rate positively lol
i gave it a 1/10 because of that, the writing is horrible in all kinds of ways, characters, plot, dialogue

i celebrate justice porn, but thats also exactly why i hate this show you can literally smell bullshit from a mile away and there is literally nothing going on story-wise

incisorr said:
SimonStevens87 said:

everyone agrees

the problem is that it's been getting worse and worse every ep since and at some point it reached rock bottom

the writing is horrible, the drama is horribly forced and bad, the characters are horrible, there are so many logical inconsistencies and plot holes

the anime had potential but it was wasted, no matter how it turns out the fact that i had to endure 10 eps as bad as the last 10 eps ive seen is already big enough for me to hate on this

the irony is that shield hero has better score than Goblin Slayer which was 10 times better, even if not perfect

i have to agree , i mean goblin slayer didn't have a story either but the dialogue and characters were written decently in comparison

Nim0174May 17, 2019 11:50 PM
You son of a .. turtle

May 18, 2019 12:06 AM

Oct 2013
Skittles said:
To its credit, the first four episodes were good. Goblin Slayer only lasted one episode before it fell into abysmal territory.

Whut. Depends on taste, mate. The real plot of "Goblin Slayer" started after the first episode. Not to spoil for people who haven't watched it yet, but if not further episodes then we would have to watch a generic slasher-like show about silent guy killing vile goblins. Instead, apart from these elements, we have also a story showing us evolution of the main character and how his way of life might have changed after meeting Priestess. Sure, it's not revolutionary, but if we had given raw continuation of slasher-like goblin hunt from the first episode, we would have experienced a dull story without much depth or original elements.
May 18, 2019 6:41 PM

May 2018
Shield Hero's popularity can be explained through several principal observations regarding the characters:

1) A harem series
2) A passive, underachieving character rises to OP levels through perseverance of wrongs inflicted upon him by virtually every facet of society, most importantly including wicked, deceitful women.
3) A passive, underachieving character meets a nearly perfect waifu who he "cures" and who becomes unconditionally devoted to him.
4) The hero gets revenge on the society that "kicked him around" -- including the evil woman who wronged him.

Shield Hero is the perfect wish fulfillment series for socially stunted and angry young dudes.
Harem is the opiate of the Anime fandom masses.
May 19, 2019 12:34 AM

Feb 2016
It's just another boring power harem fantasy with stock characters and typical Isekai bad writing.
Still can't believe of how this show got popular in the first place? It's just another low rate Isekai anime.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 26, 2019

544 by FuchsiaBC »»
Yesterday, 7:43 AM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2019

242 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 26, 9:08 PM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2019

271 by Der_Body »»
Apr 26, 9:56 AM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2019

169 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 26, 8:10 AM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2019

195 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 26, 7:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.