Forum Settings
Forums

What is the lowest score you give to an anime?

New
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Mar 15, 2019 5:35 PM

Nov 2015
tingoo said:
-Aincrad- said:

I'm not using the whole scale, because as I said, If i don't like an anime, I just don't finish it, and I don't rate it 1/10 just because it wasn't a good anime for me
Just because you don't like something, it doesn't necessarily mean it's so bad that it'd deserve 1/10

What on earth were you thinking, typing "Just because you don't like something, it doesn't necessarily mean it's so bad that it'd deserve 1/10" though.. Like that's the exact point he's making, you use the whole scale so that you don't have to give everything you personally consider bad the same rating. By restricting yourself to 6/10 as your lowest score, you're implying all the same things a 1/10 would for a normal user. It's makes everything you've rated 6/10 the lowest of the low, very literally. Worse than that, you remove any possibility for differentiating these titles from one another (ranking using an order of what you liked amongst titles you didn't like overall). It just makes everything less specific, and makes your rating system look disingenuous.

Depending on when I was asked this question, I might've been on either side of this debate.
When I first started watching - and subsequently scoring anime- I only used the top half of the scale like OP and a lot of others. I figured I didn't need to go any lower than 6 because, if I had finished a show, it clearly wasn't that bad. It got a bit more complicated the longer I went on doing that, because I was trying to come up with what kind of intrinsic quality the scores represented and I was figuring out if I had a rule for dropped series or not. Eventually I realized that because it was my lowest score (or at least the score I gave to series I liked the least), I was considering 6 to mean an inherently bad score. But given that this site (and most of the users on it) operates on the full scale, I would be constantly thinking that everyone was more negative about shows than they really were because I was judging everyone using my own numbers (people with very neutral average scores of 5-6 would suddenly seem very critical to me). Which was stupid, honestly. I agree with @Pullman saying that you shouldn't go assigning different meanings to the numbers than the ones already there. It just seems very narrow minded and irrational.

That being said, it's different if you don't actually consider those 'low-scoring' shows to be bad (I think OP changed their original post to reflect that?). Suppose you do actually drop what you would consider to be 'bad' shows before you actually would finish and score them. If you only finish the shows you like (or consider to be not bad) then it makes more sense to only use the positive half (6-10) of the scale. That wasn't the case for me, as I got to thinking that 6 meant bad. But if you actually used MAL's values and considered your least-enjoyed series to be just 'Fine' or average then that seems acceptable. If someone really doesn't have the patience to sit through and complete terrible shows, I don't see a real reason for them to purposefully expand their scale and give low scores to the least-enjoyed series on their list just because they're at the bottom of everything else they've watched. Especially if the value of the scores doesn't match up with the person's opinion of that show.

It took me completing a really terrible show for me to realize that I needed to expand my scale and be a bit more critical of my shows and their scores. @tingoo is right, too. If you do actually consider some shows to be bad, you gotta differentiate that. Be honest with how you actually enjoyed or didn't enjoy something. Or else you end up like me and thinking that everyone is being overly harsh when in reality you just have the bar set too high on what you consider to be a terrible anime.
Mar 15, 2019 5:42 PM

Mar 2016
1/10, rarely, but it happens. So far only Pupa and Conception. Those are not even all the shows I set aside for special mentions for badness.
Mar 15, 2019 8:26 PM
Sep 2017
4 is the lowest I've given to Baccano. I know a lot of people liked it but it was so poorly structured and displayed. I've watched confusing anime with many characters. For some reason Baccano broke me. It still gets a four because the intro was good and the show still had some merit to it as far as plot and production goes.
Mar 15, 2019 8:47 PM

Jan 2019
3/10, to Mujaki no Rakuen, usually don't give under a 8 unless the ending is horrible, too much fan service, or has little to no effort in creation.
Mar 15, 2019 9:05 PM

Feb 2014
1/10, obviously, because I rate according to what's written on the box (as it's supposed to be), and not based on some fuckwit rating system I came up with. I reserve 1/10 for the absolute bottom of the barrel anime that are an insult to the medium.
Mar 15, 2019 11:35 PM

Jun 2015
-Aincrad- said:
Just because you don't like something, it doesn't necessarily mean it's so bad that it'd deserve 1/10
But then, THAT IS what it literally means.

You are not scoring for an entire legion, on behalf of everyone who watched it, that you have to average or mean out your score to represent other ppl, it is your OWN PERSONAL score for that anime, and it only depends on you own enjoyment. or the lack thereof in this case.
Mar 16, 2019 12:07 AM

Jul 2017
The lowest score I gave an anime is a 1/10 and it's OreImo. It also happens to be the only anime I gave a 1/10

"Do you know why snow is white? 
Because it's forgotten what color it's supposed to be." - C.C.

Mar 16, 2019 12:26 AM
Jul 2018
that one number thats between one and three
Mar 16, 2019 12:31 AM

Oct 2016
Uhmm the lowest rating i gave was a 5 and that was for Pokemon Celebi i used to watch it when i was little (9) i did'nt like the movie after that when i was little i stopped watching pokemon movies after that Sad XD

Mar 16, 2019 7:43 AM

Feb 2017
I made it easier for myself to use the entire rating scale by giving my own meanings to each number

10 - Obsession/Love (These are anime that hold a special place in my heart)
9 - Fantastic
8 - Very Enjoyable
7 - Enjoyable
6 - Decent / Fine
5 - Average / Mediocre (nothing special)
4 - Sub-Par (below average)
3 - Boring
2 - Dismal
1 - Abhorrent

I think the lowest score I gave was 2 and I was being generous, because it was an anime that made me feel really nervous and just left a really bad aftertaste.
Mar 16, 2019 8:26 AM
Feb 2014
Usually that's a 5 if the anime really offended me, but i have given a few lower scores as well, as low as a 2 actually.
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Mar 16, 2019 8:32 AM
Oct 2018
I don't rate things but if i did it would be re:zero and it would be 4/10 because it was terrible
Mar 16, 2019 8:33 AM
Aug 2018
2/10 or 3/10 I forgot
and it was one punch man...
AoT > anime
Mar 16, 2019 8:38 AM

Mar 2017
For me it's a 2. Thank you Divine Gate!!
Mar 16, 2019 8:45 AM

Jul 2014
1, as it should be because I actually know how a scoring system works.
"Most anime makers are basically autistic" - Hideaki Anno
Mar 16, 2019 9:38 AM

Oct 2018
KousakaK said:
1, as it should be because I actually know how a scoring system works.

"As it should be"
There's no such thing imo

Nothing says one must use the entire scale
The opportunity is given, but it's not a must thing
Mar 16, 2019 9:49 AM
Aug 2018
1/10? That seems to me like the reasonable thing to give a trash anime. An anime I give 5 or maybe even 4 is still watchable.
Mar 16, 2019 10:07 AM
Apr 2018
The lowest I've given is 6/10. If I watched the whole show then it means I enjoyed it to some level so it should be at least 5/10. I just stop watching shows I don't like and I don't rate them.
Mar 16, 2019 10:55 AM
Dec 2016
I'm usually very horrible in rating any Anime I watch because I hate to give a low rating for an Anime even if sometimes that Anime deserves it, but the lowest rating I have ever given to an Anime is 3/10 for PUPA, this Anime was annoyingly disturbing and I have failed to understand what's the point of it, maybe if I read Manga/Light-novel I would get it but I don't feel it's worth it.
Mar 16, 2019 10:56 AM

May 2017
I honestly don't rate anime i terribly dislike unless i thought the intro was amazing got half way through and then the plot kinda just vomits in my face and im like... ok this is stupid 4/10
Mar 16, 2019 11:53 AM
Jul 2018
Pullman said:
I do have a personal grudge against it. I find it offensively bad at dealing with mental health issues and even actively dangerous if people take the 'methods' applied in that show to heart and think that they could actually help someone overcome trauma by reenforcing that trauma.

Okay, but here I have to say: I didn't think that it wanted to show that. Not every show that includes some kind of trauma has the goal to show how you could overcome it and not everything must have a "positive" message.
It didn't have any message on overcoming mental issues at all. How Kousei reacted and the reason why he was attracted to her was logical and it doesn't have to be "good", if it's believable.
And believe me, I know this people, who are seeking the same kind of person in their life again and again, even if they are toxic to them. This is just the way how it is to many people. I don't think the message does matter in this cases, if it's somewhat realistic.

Topic: Rarely, very rarely, a 1 or a 2. I only scored 2 or 3 anime with a 1.
Mar 16, 2019 11:56 AM

Jul 2016
2/10. I've yet to watch an anime that's so insulting and awful that it deserves a 1.
Mar 16, 2019 12:17 PM

Feb 2014
-/10.

I consider it lower than 1/10.

悲しい… 悲しいわ…
今日のこと、「お月さま」にも教えてあげないと。
あなたも… 私 “たち” の中に… 取り込んであげる。
Mar 16, 2019 12:28 PM

Nov 2017
I've scored a number of anime 1/10, so that
Mar 16, 2019 1:27 PM
Jul 2018
marry128 said:
Maneki-Mew said:

Okay, but here I have to say: I didn't think that it wanted to show that. Not every show that includes some kind of trauma has the goal to show how you could overcome it and not everything must have a "positive" message.
It didn't have any message on overcoming mental issues at all. How Kousei reacted and the reason why he was attracted to her was logical and it doesn't have to be "good", if it's believable.
And believe me, I know this people, who are seeking the same kind of person in their life again and again, even if they are toxic to them. This is just the way how it is to many people. I don't think the message does matter in this cases, if it's somewhat realistic.

Topic: Rarely, very rarely, a 1 or a 2. I only scored 2 or 3 anime with a 1.
Yeah but he didn't say it's not realistic. He gave it low score because he thinks it's toxic for people. And you are talking about?

I just don't see how "this is an bad idol for people" a thing, if it didn't want to be one in first place. It's not like it was romanticized (imo).
Some people's mind work like that and I don't see why you shouldn't write things that could exist.
Mar 16, 2019 3:05 PM
Mar 2016
3 or 4 if it's impossible or painful for me to watch. I'd give it a 4-5 at the very least if I managed to watch it all
Mar 16, 2019 3:19 PM

Sep 2014
1 and they really deserved it.

Character limit on reply's?
Mar 16, 2019 4:01 PM

May 2018
I utilize the entire scale.

10: Has to be practically perfect and exactly to my taste. Only my absolute favorites receive that score.

7-9: Excellent show with minor flaws. Or just not really my cup of tea but I can acknowledge its quality.

4-6: Middle of the road. Neither good nor bad but maybe worth checking out.

Below 3: Trash. Not worth anyone's time. Skip at all cost.

1 is reserved for shows with zero redeeming qualities. The Rooms and Battlefield Earths of anime.
Mar 16, 2019 5:23 PM
Sep 2016
1/10 If you're not using the full rating system you're probably a complete fanboy
Mar 16, 2019 7:26 PM

Mar 2018
I've ranked only one anime 1/10 and I've actually dropped it. As for the ones I've finished watching, the lowest score I've given so far is 5/10.
Mar 16, 2019 10:42 PM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
1/10 and they are more common than my 9's and 10's
Mar 17, 2019 12:37 AM

Oct 2018
Chart said:
1/10 If you're not using the full rating system you're probably a complete fanboy

Nah, it's just that I'm not torturing myself with watching 1/10 animes
Mar 17, 2019 12:50 AM
Dec 2017
My lowest score is a 5 and I gave it to Pupa. A lot of people gave that anime a 3 or below but I gave it a 5 because of the brother character (whose name I forgot). I liked him a little (and I mean a LITTLE) so he kinda prevented me from giving the show a 4 (bad). Sometimes, I wonder if I should go back and give it a lower rating but idk...

There was a lot wrong with it but it wasn't a "my eyes would throw up if they could" type of bad. Anyway, me even giving Pupa a 5 says a lot though. I tend to like almost every anime I watch so most of them get a score of 8 or higher.

The second lowest is Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody which I gave a 7. It's one of those anime that I didn't think was great but also didn't think it's flaws made it bad enough to rate it anything lower.
Mar 17, 2019 3:38 AM
Dec 2015
I don't rate the ones I don't finish because it's just not fair to rate something you haven't experienced fully.

The lowest I've given an anime is 4. The most likely reason I haven't given anything else a lower rating is because I drop those.
RainWithersMar 17, 2019 3:43 AM
Mar 17, 2019 6:21 AM

Oct 2018
I feel like your standard is gonna be through the roof if you only watch stuff people consider really good. So I like to watch both good and bad to have more variety and keep my standard down.
【🇳​🇪​🇼​ 🇵​🇷​🇴​🇫​🇮​🇱​🇪​ 🇩​🇪​🇸​🇮​🇬​🇳​】

I accept all friend requests! - Feel free to add me!

Mar 17, 2019 7:16 AM

Jan 2017
1 , I use the rating scale as it's described.
9-10 for something I consider a masterpiece
5 for an average , so-so anime
4 for bad and below 4 for appalling to unwatchable
"In this world, wherever there is light – there are also shadows. As long as the concept of winners exists, there must also be losers. The selfish desire of wanting to maintain peace causes wars, and hatred is born to protect love."
-Madara Uchiha

Mar 17, 2019 7:27 AM

Jan 2017
4/10 is max for me, any lower then that is just something i wouldn't even start watching.
Mar 17, 2019 9:03 AM

Dec 2016
4/10. I rarely give any show a 1,2 or 3 unless I truly hate it.
Mar 17, 2019 1:15 PM
Sep 2016
-Aincrad- said:
Chart said:

Nah, it's just that I'm not torturing myself with watching 1/10 animes

I can respect that. Some people are just such fanboys that they refuse to give a show a low score no matter how bad it is.
Mar 18, 2019 12:42 AM

Jul 2017
Lowest I've ever given: 6/10. I haven't found an anime that I find absolutely terrible for the 1 to 4 rating yet. Mekakucity Actors was close though.

I'm almost always easily pleased by a lot of anime so maybe that's why.

Help, I'm hooked into the Fate series (not all) and am obsessed with Shirou x Saber!
Also, forever hoping for a ufotable remake of the Fate route!
Mar 18, 2019 4:00 AM

Mar 2018
I wish I could give 0s to shitty second seasons of anime I love 😑
Mar 18, 2019 4:16 AM
Dec 2017
Necroshade_ said:
Sakurai_Aoi said:
My lowest score is a 5 and I gave it to Pupa. A lot of people gave that anime a 3 or below but I gave it a 5 because of the brother character (whose name I forgot). I liked him a little (and I mean a LITTLE) so he kinda prevented me from giving the show a 4 (bad). Sometimes, I wonder if I should go back and give it a lower rating but idk...

There was a lot wrong with it but it wasn't a "my eyes would throw up if they could" type of bad. Anyway, me even giving Pupa a 5 says a lot though. I tend to like almost every anime I watch so most of them get a score of 8 or higher.

The second lowest is Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody which I gave a 7. It's one of those anime that I didn't think was great but also didn't think it's flaws made it bad enough to rate it anything lower.

Mean Score: 9.46
LMAO you give 9 or 10 to every fucking anime

Not true. I give out some occasional 8's. Lol. Also, I don't see anything wrong with that. In my opinion, a majority of the anime I've watched are good. If I like it and don't see many flaws, why would I give it anything below a 9?
Mar 18, 2019 4:28 AM

Mar 2018
Sakurai_Aoi said:
Necroshade_ said:

Mean Score: 9.46
LMAO you give 9 or 10 to every fucking anime

Not true. I give out some occasional 8's. Lol. Also, I don't see anything wrong with that. In my opinion, a majority of the anime I've watched are good. If I like it and don't see many flaws, why would I give it anything below a 9?
I honestly envy people who have a mean score of 8 and above -_- .
Mar 18, 2019 4:38 AM
Dec 2017
qualitycorn said:
Sakurai_Aoi said:

You do? Do you not enjoy the anime you watch?
Mar 18, 2019 4:40 AM

Mar 2018
Sakurai_Aoi said:
qualitycorn said:

Its probably my fault. I tend to ignore anime recommendations/scores and just watch anything that's available to watch lol. Kinda moved away from this since I looked at myself and realized I started to hate anime because of it.
Mar 18, 2019 4:46 AM
Dec 2017
qualitycorn said:
Sakurai_Aoi said:

Its probably my fault. I tend to ignore anime recommendations/scores and just watch anything that's available to watch lol. Kinda moved away from this since I looked at myself and realized I started to hate anime because of it.

Wow. Yeah, I'm glad you moved away from doing that. Recommendations can really help you find anime similar to the ones you actually like. I sure wouldn't want to hate anime because of something like that...
Mar 18, 2019 4:58 AM
Jun 2017
I guess I am like those people who do not go below 4, and in my whole list there are only a few entries I rated below 6 :v My average score is probably around 1.0 higher then it should, because my 6-8 range should be more diverse, but I am too lazy too re-do it.

Tokoro de, looking at the words associated with the scores 1-4, we see, from the bottom, Appalling, Horrible, Very Bad and Bad. My logic is, if you do not enjoy a show to the extent of giving one of these scores, why even bother watching it in the first place? I rarely pick something out of the genre scope I enjoy, and if I feel that a show bores me, I just do not continue it, so there is not a whole lot of opportunities for me to give a low score the show. The rare situations I end up giving a score like this, is when the show, in my opinion, went to shit late in the series or the ending was broken. Sometimes I just admit the averageness of the series, even though I kind of enjoyed it.
Mar 18, 2019 4:59 AM

Oct 2018
I tend to give 7 or 8 by default, depending on how much I liked it, or even how well it clicked with me. I haven't gone below 6 as I'd rather not torture myself when there's so much better stuff to watch. I save 9 and 10 for those that I find exceptionally good. (If I recall, I've only given 10 to a small handful of movies.)
Mar 18, 2019 7:32 PM
Dec 2017
Necroshade_ said:
Sakurai_Aoi said:

But do you like all anime you watch the same?
If you think a anime is "good" you can give it a 6, 7 or 8. 9 is for great anime and 10 are for masterpieces, giving it to every anime you think is good makes no sense.
And you gave 10 to Another, Mirai Nikki, Tokyo Ghoul and Nanatsu no Taizai, do you really don't see many flaws in these animes? (maybe you should watch Swort art online too, you definitely gonna love it LOL)

For the most part, yeah. I have favorites but I feel that I've given all the anime I watched a score that it deserves. If I don't think it deserves 6, 7, or 8, then I won't give it that score.

Also, yeah. I will admit that it's hard for me to spot flaws sometimes, especially when I'm enjoying the heck out of the anime. Other times, I just don't feel that the flaws are that big of a deal. And thanks, I was planning on watching Sword Art Online anyway and I had already come to the conclusion that I would most likely enjoy watching it.
Mar 18, 2019 11:12 PM

Nov 2018
The worst score you can give an anime is marking it as dropped meaning you disliked it so much that you didn't even complete it. As for scores when you've completed a show I can go as low as 1 when it just became extremely bad, but that is rare.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

130 by -YaoiBoy- »»
13 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

216 by Coaghim »»
21 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Today

33 by FanofAction »»
24 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 2 hours ago

7 by BitChilly »»
32 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - 7 hours ago

24 by Coaghim »»
32 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.