Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 28, 2019 2:43 PM

Oct 2017
So somehow I'm binging Hajimete no Gal now and it hit me that it's really rated low. It's only 6.5 and it have a lot of good jokes packed there, it's kind of similar in stupid humor to Grand Blue (in a good way). Maybe it was too ecchi to some people? But cmon this series got reviews rating it 2 or 3... and it ain't that bad.
The Young Noble of the Field is currently watching - Diamond no Ace: Act II
Misugi-kun is also reading - Kanojo, Okarishimasu
Feb 28, 2019 2:45 PM

Jul 2007
I'm not a fan of these "gal" archetype characters so I gave it a pass. Maybe it's funny though, I haven't actually seen it lol.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Feb 28, 2019 2:58 PM

Aug 2018
Well, in my book a 6 is actually a decent score. Better than the average, which is 5. I don't know how much you think about it, but it has shitty animation, a pretty generic plot and not the best voice acting. It is funny and the characters are pretty ok, besides that it has nothing else imo.
Feb 28, 2019 3:02 PM

Sep 2012
Maybe people got bored with useless/spineless male MCs. Who knows...
Feb 28, 2019 3:10 PM

Jun 2016
idk I kinda get tired of the MC who are like "why is she with me shes so much better than me I dont deserve her" aka low self esteem/confidence-kun.
Its been a while since Ive seen this anime but if I remember correctly wasnt she an ass to him cause of his lack of confident towards the end of the series
Feb 28, 2019 5:28 PM

Jul 2014
Thread moved from Anime Discussion
Take care of yourself

Mar 1, 2019 3:07 AM

Dec 2018
Hajimete No Gal is like the first 5 minutes of High School DxD episode 1 stretched into an entire show. Some people might enjoy that but I got pretty tired of it tbh.
I MUST SOMEHOW MAKE SENSE OF OUR CONVOLUTED SITUATION
Mar 1, 2019 5:49 AM

Jan 2016
The only good thing about it was the dub, it made the show way more trashy than the show itself.There are some *triggering* jokes though.

"Get your tentacles off me or ill make calamari out of your manhood" -Mirai Nikki Dub
Mar 1, 2019 6:05 AM
Jul 2018
Coach_Koro said:
Hajimete No Gal is like the first 5 minutes of High School DxD episode 1 stretched into an entire show. Some people might enjoy that but I got pretty tired of it tbh.

Yeah pretty much. But without the devils or anything. Mind numbingly boring.
Mar 15, 2019 2:17 AM
Nov 2018
If Junichi had forgotten of girls and moved on he would have liked more of anime.
When he broke with yame I found positive, the mistake was he wanted to defend the honor of yame, if humiliated for her and have returned.
Apr 20, 2019 11:42 AM

Jan 2011
The quick answer is that most shows that feature ecchi are usually rated 1 or 2 points below where you might put them based on their other characteristics (plot, characterization, humour). I think it's fair to say that a lot of ecchi shows also skimp on the animation budget, since they figure they can get away with it, so that's often a legitimate criticism. Also, it appears that this adaptation has taken some liberties with the source material, so some people may have lowered their rating because of it.

The long answer as to why ecchi in general is underrated would probably reference the demographics of MAL, who rates shows, and the experience (or lack thereof) of relationships in the background of the raters. You'll also find some who have been brainwashed by the anti-sex religious doctrines dominating their societies.

Keep in mind, this comment is coming from someone who is pagan, and poly-amorous, so my opinions may not be entirely mainstream (and fair disclosure, Yukana was one of the initial characters in my Koikatsu class so I'm already heavily invested in wooing her {and eventually marrying her} and I'm already predisposed to liking this show).

rodacApr 20, 2019 10:40 PM
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Apr 20, 2019 8:36 PM

Jul 2015
FUCK Y'ALL THIS IS THE GREATEST ANIME EVER MADE DUBBED. BUY THE DVD/BD TO SUPPORT THE ONLY ANIME WORTH A DAMN IN THE WORLD. FUCK YOUR COWBOY BEBOP, THIS IS THE REALEST SHIT
Apr 20, 2019 8:37 PM

Jun 2016
Taz_ said:
FUCK Y'ALL THIS IS THE GREATEST ANIME EVER MADE DUBBED. BUY THE DVD/BD TO SUPPORT THE ONLY ANIME WORTH A DAMN IN THE WORLD. FUCK YOUR COWBOY BEBOP, THIS IS THE REALEST SHIT

This be how real nibbas support the industry
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 20, 2019 8:37 PM

Jul 2015
PROOF THAT THIS IS THE BEST ANIME OF ALL TIME, I CALLED THIS SHIT YEARS AGO, Y'ALL BETTER CATCH UP

Taz_ said:
He's right. The dub actually takes time to improve on the shitty script, and make it to something actually funny.

Take this for an example:

In one of the scenes of the sub, Yukana says "Why do boys get hard in the morning?"

Pretty standard, right?

Now here's what the dub said: "I know boys get hard in the morning, but why does this one feel like it can cut a diamond?"

And that's not even the funniest part!

It's like they looked at the script, and tried to make better in EVERY POSSIBLE WAY. It's great. I highly advise you all to watch it dub.
Jul 11, 2019 9:30 AM

Nov 2008
I Just advise reading its manga -
Nov 14, 2019 11:01 PM
Oct 2014
I don't know.
I find the anime interesting, and even censorship was really funny.
On amazon.jp for example it has rating of 7.6, which is more correct in my opinion.
I guess, many people in the West just hate on ecchi and lolicon, so I don't trust MAL scores anymore.
Feb 3, 2020 11:22 PM
Sep 2017
rodac said:

The long answer as to why ecchi in general is underrated would probably reference the demographics of MAL, who rates shows, and the experience (or lack thereof) of relationships in the background of the raters. You'll also find some who have been brainwashed by the anti-sex religious doctrines dominating their societies.

...or the fact that a vast amount of ecchi anime utilize their ecchi elements in attempt to distract the viewer from the lack of an actual plot. There are a few gems out there, don’t get me wrong. But ecchi just for ecchi is low-tier imo. I personally tend to keep away from ecchi because of this, but I’ll sometimes do dumpster dives when I run out of shit to watch – hence why I’m here.
Feb 3, 2020 11:40 PM

Apr 2013
Given that everything MAL rated below 7 is generally considered trash, I agree that it's underrated. I gave it a 7/10, I enjoyed the comedy and the ecchi. Characters were also mostly fun, the drama in the end was a bit unnecessary.
Feb 15, 2020 9:50 PM
Aug 2015
SPOILERS

its quite bad, mediocre animations and artstyle, only 2 likable chars .. maybe three if one considers teh glasses guy, bad pasing, quite a bit of cringe ( not as much as Gamers!!! but quite a bit)

the plot is rather flat, and it's not really peaking up to somehting .. the last 2 episodes were asolutly out of plot and utterly unessecary. they couldve cut that into an ova or 1 ep with the final date and kiss.

i wont argue about the comedy it was rather solid.... though .. they shouldve turned down a notch with the lolicon, that was cringe and uncomforatable as hell ... especially how the anime tried to somewhat legitimize his actions.... fuck that.

they couldve just made an obiviouse perv that likes panties or some shit .... but a full on pedo .. is a bit overboard (though it had its comedic elements too it -.-)

character scripting was boring as hell and as already mentioned i didnt see a decent plot at all .... it wasnt even plot within the episods.

anyway it's not complete garbage, main girl is decent, mvp is okay and the humor has some good elements.... but dont expect a full on romance or hamren anime. It is something unfortunate inbetween.
Mar 10, 2020 4:16 AM

Jan 2013
It's underrated because these people didn't watch the dub, which is absolutely fucking hilarious, and dials everything up to 11.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Nov 18, 2020 2:38 AM
Oct 2020
If you have a sense of humour and watch the dub you will have a great time watching this. The comedy is hilarious, far-fetched, raunchy, the 4th wall breaks, meta, self-awareness is brilliant ("he can't die he's the MC and there's two episodes left")..among others. I didn't watch this specifically for comedy, but

Yeah the characters are diluted vanilla, plot wasn't special, the romance wasn't particularly mature and deep (could be authentic for some high-schoolers). Also side character Minoru Kobayakawa, is really pushing the line, even with a pinch of salt much was not funny. I still would highly recommend this series, ONLY IN DUB, for the same reason you would watch Ghost Stories in dub.
TomatsNov 18, 2020 2:42 AM
Jun 16, 2021 10:52 AM
Oct 2011
rodac said:
The quick answer is that most shows that feature ecchi are usually rated 1 or 2 points below where you might put them based on their other characteristics (plot, characterization, humour). I think it's fair to say that a lot of ecchi shows also skimp on the animation budget, since they figure they can get away with it, so that's often a legitimate criticism. Also, it appears that this adaptation has taken some liberties with the source material, so some people may have lowered their rating because of it.

Keep in mind, this comment is coming from someone who is pagan, and poly-amorous, so my opinions may not be entirely mainstream (and fair disclosure, Yukana was one of the initial characters in my Koikatsu class so I'm already heavily invested in wooing her {and eventually marrying her} and I'm already predisposed to liking this show).

This guy is telling you the actual reason right there, that's it.
Aug 15, 2021 10:40 AM
Mar 2020
It's not underrated. I thought pretty average score would be 5/10 . Because story was not intresting at all .. and mc is kind of a trash.. overall i didn't like much..
Aug 16, 2021 9:32 AM

Mar 2021
Its honestly a normal ecchi anime,
It has nothing new, you can expect what will happen and nothing makes you excited

the mc was boring, he just lack self-confidence, and has a weird imagination
"The world isn't perfect. But it's there for us, doing the best it can....that's what makes it so damn beautiful."
~ Roy Mustang (Full Metal Alchemist)

Oct 3, 2021 9:43 AM

Apr 2012
It's trash and it deserves a lower score and the dub changing things up to "improve" it was so asinine.
Janethan23Oct 3, 2021 9:53 AM
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Oct 3, 2021 9:53 AM

Nov 2016
It's hilarious for the Kirito parody alone.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hajimete no Gal Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 13, 2017

197 by MuriloA »»
Mar 24, 7:24 PM

Poll: » Hajimete no Gal Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 12, 2017

270 by Bumdumdoobit »»
Mar 3, 12:30 PM

Poll: » Hajimete no Gal Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 6, 2017

134 by _untitled »»
Dec 29, 2023 4:37 AM

Poll: » Hajimete no Gal Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 30, 2017

88 by _untitled »»
Dec 29, 2023 4:37 AM

Poll: » Hajimete no Gal Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 23, 2017

118 by _untitled »»
Dec 29, 2023 4:35 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.