Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 25, 2019 6:29 AM

Feb 2012
Popular and/or influential works from the classic era. Has little to do with quality. Saint Seiya is one of the most prominent shonen even though not popular worldwide. It's the one responsible for all the beloved(?) tropes. I don't think modern classics exist, though there can technically be imitations that are of higher quality, but ultimately not as meaningful (see all the "modern retro" indie games). A lot of new people already don't watch the best shows of 2000-2010 and same will likely happen to anime of this decade.

Before someone gets mad about this and calls me old school elitist, it has nothing to do with quality. Even if every person on the planet watched Shield Hero and gave it 10/10, entertainment today is so much more contemporary and most importantly - available, that everyone would forget about it by next year as they moved on to the other stuff. It is much like the Big 3 dilemma, which was a product of the cultural environment of that time and it can't be recreated simply by having "good shows".
Jan 25, 2019 8:23 AM

Feb 2017
There are several definitions of the "classic work": many different criteria can be used to form a canon, which are not always compatible with one another.
One definition I personally like is to say that a classic is a work which significantly modified an horizon of expectation, i.e. a work that had an influence on the vision a society had on the medium as a whole, both from a cultural and from an aesthetic standpoint; one that partly defines the medium, if you will.

Neon Genesis Evangelion, Ghost in the Shell (1995), Akira, Mobile Suit Gundam, Serial Experiments Lain, K-On!, Castle in the Sky, Grave of the Fireflies and Heidi are a few examples of anime that I think could be called classics.
thizlasOct 26, 2019 5:12 AM
Jan 25, 2019 9:12 AM
Oct 2018
An anime that by a large portion of the community is considered to be of high quality, and which shapes the community and the industry in some way.
Jan 25, 2019 9:19 AM
osmamthus wine

May 2014
I'm actually going to talk about what may become a modern classic, even by OP's definition.

Devilman Crybaby.

While I know the surge of remakes and adaptations of old manga without proper adaptations had started before Devilman Crybaby, this show proved just how lucrative it can be, which may be a great incentive for even more studios.

Beyond that, it shows a strong example of where extremely graphic and sexual OVAs of the 80's and early 90's can find a new home: ONAs. While I don't think every studio is going to be able to gain funds from the almighty Netflix, it seems Science SARU and Polygon Pictures are already on their good side, so those are a couple studios to look out for.

Even beyond that, if other Western streaming services decide to get into the game, that could change a lot.

We can't tell what'll happen yet, since it's only been a year, but it's something to keep an eye on.

Jan 25, 2019 9:27 AM

Nov 2016
DateYutaka said:
FMmatron said:
I'm rather interested to know how people define a modern classic.

for tv anime most moderd classics you cannot judge sicen tv ratings are shit ofr most show in the topic of

unlees yu wish to judge tv anime like oVA withc people like ot seam ot do these days withc is wrong

Kinda expected that. Thanks for your take on it.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 25, 2019 9:39 AM

Oct 2013
To me, classic anime is an anime that has significant influence over other works, and shows/series/franchises that still hold up and can be enjoyed by later generations despite it's age.
Jan 25, 2019 9:56 AM

Sep 2015
Okarin_Kyouma said:
I don't think "classic" means "masterpiece". Classic animes are old but still have a huge impact on the community. For example, Cowboy Bebop, Akira, Tonari no Totoro, Hotaru no Haka, Ghost in the Shell, etc. Of course, Steins;Gate and Code Geass are masterpieces but they are not classic. Because a classic anime has to pass the test of time.

I'd agree with this too. Its hard to put a concrete time liimit on it though. I'd say by now, we're almost a decade after the Golden Age of anime reached its end, perhaps the time has come? I think the necessity for time to pass to deem an anime as a classic is derived from having the necessary time to judge an anime's impact on the community, rather than just being some arbitrary amount of time. NGE, for example, had an immediate lasting impact on the Anime community, though I wasn't even alive at that time, I think I might have deemed it a so-called "instant" classic.

Nemo_Niemand said:
I don't agree with quality part. For example, Naruto and Code Geass are bad (fite me fanboys) but they still can be called classics

I consider Code Geass to be a masterpiece, although I've admittedly been scared to rewatch it in fear my praise for the series will diminish (it probably will, given that I have much greater perspective). However, what I would say, is that Code Geass at its worst is still average at the very least, if there are no other merits, there was at least above average execution of a below average concept.

AuraStormLucarioJan 25, 2019 10:06 AM
Check out my custom anime list theme here: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1768732
Jan 25, 2019 9:57 AM
Dec 2013
Naruto, One Piece and Bleach are all classics.
Jan 25, 2019 10:27 AM

Jan 2019
If its remembered and talked about 5 years later
Jan 25, 2019 10:28 AM

Jan 2019
wildhood said:

Who's the pink haired chick, shes cute.
Jan 25, 2019 10:35 AM

Oct 2014
Any highly regarded anime from the previous century. To me, anyway.
Jan 25, 2019 10:39 AM
Dec 2013
Asaid16 said:
wildhood said:

Hinagiku Katsura from Hayate no Gotoku.
Jan 25, 2019 10:42 AM

Jan 2019
wildhood said:
Asaid16 said:

Hinagiku Katsura from Hayate no Gotoku.

Thanks, will try the anime just for her :)
Jan 26, 2019 8:50 AM
Jul 2018
FMmatron said:
I'm rather interested to know how people define a modern classic.

Modern classics are anything that is popular, but the term itself is contradictory. Classics are those that withstand the test of time and were impactful to the medium. Modern classics are at best a prediction as to what will withstand the test of time.

Drovac said:
ImMist said:
Code Geass
Steins Gate

Both are master pieces

Code Geass a masterpiece? You're funny

I won't call it perfect, but Code Geass is an epic whose aim was to inspire. Code Geass' story aimed for greatness, not just mere cuddly entertainment. Whether it failed or not is, I suppose, subjective.

nyohoho said:
I'd think of it as some that would inspire authors/artists to make more anime...?

I like this train of thought. I think there needs to be more to what is considered a classic than "people enjoy it". The greatest art makes people stand back in awe. Wishing they could better themselves to reach that level, or making them think about life in a new and interesting way.
removed-userJan 26, 2019 8:56 AM
Jan 26, 2019 9:03 AM

Mar 2015
SMH no one naming JoJo's Bizarre Adventure as a classic.

JoJo brought so many new things to the anime/manga industry- it is a show that is not afraid to change protagonists, settings, art style, and even its freaking power system. When the manga was released, changing the main character from Part 1 to 2
was unheard of. The first Yandere in manga, Yukako from Part 4, was from JoJo.

Many anime reference JoJo, either through imitating its art style, poses, or famous quotes. I think it is the most referenced anime in existence. JoJo is also probably the anime/manga which has spawned the most memes ("TO BE CONTINUED", "KONO DIO DA", "ZA WARUDO" etc).
“Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only, truth. But the world isn't perfect, and the law is incomplete..." -Alphonse Elric

"Then and now, what I protect has never changed!" -Sakata Gintoki

I'll take anything like The Pet Girl of Sakurasou. Anything as good as that.
Jan 26, 2019 9:05 AM

Dec 2008
Well predicted. This is a very convoluted thread. LOL The definition of what a classic is pretty blurred.... even moreso what a modern classic be. Values change over time and as can observable in the last decade, whew, it takes just about 5 years now. Seriously, even MAL in 2010 is completely different to MAL 2019. Some would say MAL was better then than now; some would beg to differ. It's hard to predict what anime would stand time. And, anime being part of the entertainment industry, it too is governed by trends. I took too long but that's all what I wanted to say. HAHA

Just throwing into the Goblet here though: the original Doraemon series.
"Throw a blanket over it; Put a little fence around it!"
Jan 26, 2019 9:09 AM

Nov 2016
@HeroicIdealism

Yeah, that's why I was asking for other takes. The definition I've looked up was similar to yours and doesn't really make sense, especially when many anime are hyped during the season they air, but easily forgotten a few months later.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 26, 2019 9:13 AM
Apr 2016
Well, I'd say shows like Dragon Ball, Naruto, One Piece, Death Note are more fit to *classic*. (1) I think they had THE MOST impact on the anime community, and even outside, getting nonanime watchers to get into anime. (2) Nonetheless they're actually good, it is of course both subjective and controversial, but you really get attached to the characters, their world, < especially happens to people just getting into anime.
Jan 26, 2019 10:01 AM

Feb 2010
HeroicIdealism said:
The greatest art makes people stand back in awe. Wishing they could better themselves to reach that level, or making them think about life in a new and interesting way.

Oh, so you're talking about Virtual-san wa Miteiru. I get it now.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 26, 2019 10:08 AM
Mar 2011
GaryMuffuginOak said:
SMH no one naming JoJo's Bizarre Adventure as a classic.

JoJo brought so many new things to the anime/manga industry- it is a show that is not afraid to change protagonists, settings, art style, and even its freaking power system. When the manga was released, changing the main character from Part 1 to 2
was unheard of. The first Yandere in manga, Yukako from Part 4, was from JoJo.

Many anime reference JoJo, either through imitating its art style, poses, or famous quotes. I think it is the most referenced anime in existence. JoJo is also probably the anime/manga which has spawned the most memes ("TO BE CONTINUED", "KONO DIO DA", "ZA WARUDO" etc).

Jojos manga is almost as old as me when talking here you have to take source in ot account of its ear Hokuto no ken is more inconic not nither are canon shaping classcis of the meiduim sicne there was very few in the 1980s era

and in manga form i gave these boh high scores so yes os classoc si not baout favories as i said many times
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jan 26, 2019 10:11 AM
Mar 2011
wildhood said:

one piece may have the sales and the live action movie but has is had the wider pop culate impact in its home market only very mildly

Naruto and Bleach have not full stop
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jan 26, 2019 11:58 AM
Jul 2018
Pullman said:
HeroicIdealism said:
The greatest art makes people stand back in awe. Wishing they could better themselves to reach that level, or making them think about life in a new and interesting way.

Oh, so you're talking about Virtual-san wa Miteiru. I get it now.

Yeah, no. I don't know what that is, nor do I care, because it looks like shit.
What point were you trying to make here, O Great Pullman, Legendary Watcher of Over 5000 Anime?
Jan 26, 2019 12:28 PM

Sep 2015
Looking through the thread, there are many mentioned of the common "critically acclaimed" anime:
  • Neon Genesis Evengelion
  • Akira
  • Ghost in the Shell
  • Cowboy Bebop
  • Legend of the Galactic Heroes
  • (insert a ghibli here)

There are also, however, mentions of the more popular shounen anime such as Naruto though much less mention of Bleach and One Piece. There are also these so-called "modern" classics, for instance:
  • Code Geass
  • Death Note
  • JoJo
  • Stein's Gate
  • I would be inclined to add Haruhi Suzumiya here, due to its popularity and impact on future anime tropes

So, now here's another question. How does popularity affect an "anime" classic? And what happens to the hidden gems that may avoid the same attention, for example Serial Experiments Lain, Shinsekai Yori, and Mushishi? On the other side of the popularity scale are the long-running series of Pokemon and Dragon Ball. Though their impact is undeniable, does it make them classics, or does it just make societal milestones that happen to be anime?

When adding all these variables, how can the precarious balance of "classic anime" criteria maintain itself?

Discuss!!!
AuraStormLucarioJan 26, 2019 12:33 PM
Check out my custom anime list theme here: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1768732
Jan 26, 2019 12:59 PM

Nov 2013
Gankutsuou and Fate/Zero are classics.

Shoujo Kakumei Utena and Versailles no Bara definitely cannot be considered classics, since they clearly belong to the modernism.
“Right is right even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it.”
― Saint Augustine
Jan 26, 2019 2:56 PM

Dec 2012
A classic is something that is both old and fairly famous.

Akira
Bubblegum Crisis
Cowboy Bebop
Crest of the Stars
Dirty Pair
Dragonball Z
El Hazard
Escaflowne
Fist of the North Star
Fushigi Yugi
Galaxy Express 999
Ghost in the Shell
Gunsmith Cats
Initial D
Irresponsible Captain Tylor
Kimagure Orange Road
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Lost Universe
Lupin the 3rd
Maison Ikkoku
Martian Successor Nadesico
Megazone 23
Mobile Suit Gundam
Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Ninja Scroll
Outlaw Star
Patlabor
Perfect Blue
Rose of Versailles
Rurouni Kenshin
Silent Mobius
Slayers
SDF Macross
Tenchi Muyo
Trigun
Vampire Hunter D
You're Under Arrest
Yu Yu Hakusho
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jan 26, 2019 8:50 PM

Jan 2019
JoyBoy_316 said:
An anime that the community can still talk about in a good way 5 to 10 years after it has finished airing I guess

I agree with you 100%
Its all about the influence that those anime have on the community that makes them classic.
Jan 26, 2019 8:58 PM

Nov 2016
David-Dwitt said:
JoyBoy_316 said:
An anime that the community can still talk about in a good way 5 to 10 years after it has finished airing I guess

I agree with you 100%
Its all about the influence that those anime have on the community that makes them classic.

Thank you, i feel like this the most simple way to define one
Jan 26, 2019 11:28 PM

Jul 2016
A classic anime by definition would just be an anime that has been given acclaim for its quality over a long period of time. So yeah, I definitely agree that Cowboy Bebop and Neon Genesis are classics. I would even throw Dragon Ball and Jojo in there.
Jan 27, 2019 12:37 AM

Nov 2017
A classic is a well regarded piece. It's self-contained, it has a theme, it doesn't deviate from its meaningful theme. It's successful in purporting an emotion, it gives the viewer a convincing case for having done so.

It usually doesn't have major issues with pacing, meaning, etc, characters, setting. From point A to point B you can read what is happening and what is supposed to happen. Therefore it's well written, it's inspired.

A classic lasts, its quality lasts through time. There are things that are even better than classics, they're artistic studies and specific projects by artists with specific purposes: there are masterpieces and semi-masterpieces, in my opinion.

I thought there were quite a few things this years with a lasting quality, there always are every year.

Classic in the sense you're talking about now are animes which change anime. Those are rare and they're somewhat rare everywhere else, but artists are always inspired by innovation from other artists.

What made Akira different? The budget, the innovation in animation. Neon Evangelion has a very serious narrative that was creative, inspired, individualistic.

Anime doesn't really produce classics like this, it produces good work year to year. If an anime is changing anime that much, then we assume anime might've been missing something or some inspiration before.

Haruhi Suzumiya began pop anime and then brought on moe. Haruhi had influence and made money and caused a sensation. Culturally it was important, but not artistically.

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood was a nearly full adaptation with good budget and an interesting story through its arc, it might've affected shounen.

The Frieza arc from DBZ, the Vegeta arc when he first visits Earth, those are classics.

Code Geass is a hilarious anime classic.
Jan 27, 2019 7:52 AM

May 2017
According to me, Steins;Gate will become a classic as the years go by. It's got a great story, amazing characters and will probably remain relevant for a very long time because of its premise. Plus, it looks fantastic.

As for shows that can already be considered classics, I think time is an important factor. What's the cutoff date for a classic? How old must a show be for it to be considered something that's stood firm against the test of time? Because both Death Note and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann are more than a decade old, and I think both have done a great job at still remaining relevant despite how old they are.
CrossbonesJan 27, 2019 7:59 AM
Jan 27, 2019 8:57 AM

Nov 2015
Something that stood the test of time, so yeah it needs to be a few years old, and is able to remain relevant and influential during that time.
Stuff like Evangelion, Full Metal Alchemist, Dragon Ball, Haruhi and K-on would be good examples.
Jan 27, 2019 10:51 AM
Jan 2019
Hi everyone! I am a beginner in anime and manga, so I need your pieces of advice. I have read a lot of useful information on wikipedia.com, but I think that I do need the information from experienced fans of anime and manga. Thanks in advance)
Jan 27, 2019 10:55 AM

Feb 2018
I would say a show that either had a big influence on the medium/genre, or the fandom.
Jan 27, 2019 10:55 AM

Aug 2017
Harrybroder said:
Hi everyone! I am a beginner in anime and manga, so I need your pieces of advice. I have read a lot of useful information on wikipedia.com, but I think that I do need the information from experienced fans of anime and manga. Thanks in advance)

If you really think imma click dat link, you're dead wrong. Try harder next time :)
Jan 27, 2019 3:56 PM

Dec 2015
I don't know if this was mentioned yet but Astro Boy would definitely be a classic. Moreso in the sights of impact.
Jan 27, 2019 4:27 PM

May 2017
Evangelion, Revolutionary Girl Utena...
Death Note, Haruhi, Angel Beats
Cowboy Bebop
Ghost in the Shell, Akira
Ouran High School Host Club
Sailor Moon
YuYu Hakusho

I guess I would define a classic as a show that can withstand time and be looked back on fondly. I was very young when a lot of these shows came out, and yet, whether I've watched then or not, I've heard great things about them, still, in 2019. That's why a lot of shitty shows aren't classics. Nobody talks about then fondly, and therefore, new fans don't hear about them, lacking what makes a classic a classic. That's kind of what I think
Jan 27, 2019 4:51 PM

Sep 2015
Milomite said:
I don't know if this was mentioned yet but Astro Boy would definitely be a classic. Moreso in the sights of impact.

I’ve been waiting for someone to mention Astro Boy. Question is, is it really a classic? It’s certainly a cultural milestone, it’s the only anime that I know of that was released in the whole 60s decade (other Han Dororo, which I only know of due to its remake 50 years later). Is it still being talked about by fans? I’ve never really heard of people being “fans” of Astro Boy. And I honestly don’t know anything about the quality of Astro Boy, all I know is that it was the first tv anime.
Jan 27, 2019 5:07 PM

Apr 2017
A classic is something that will be remembered for its quality/originality, something that inspired and inspires many other creations. A few examples of classic anime are: Akira, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Death Note, etc...
Jan 27, 2019 5:12 PM

Nov 2016
People often confuse Old anime with Classic Anime. Here is the difference (For me).

Old Anime:
- 10+ Years old.
- Mediocre. Didn't make much impact.
- Score Under 7.5X

Classic Anime:
- 10+ Years old.
- Made a Big Impact in the industry (Be it in japan or in it become mainstream in the west.)
- A lot of people have it in their faves
- Scores above 8.XX
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 27, 2019 5:50 PM

Aug 2018
A classic anime is an anime that is so good that people can say it's good without even watching it.
Jan 27, 2019 6:33 PM

Aug 2008
I consider an anime a classic if it's not "forgotten" after a long period of time. Doesn't matter how many people can remember it, as long as you can recall it, it's a classic.
Jan 27, 2019 8:36 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
A classic is an anime of trans-generational awesomeness. Two classics:
-Original Gundam. Absolutely huge for the mecha genre.
-Astro Boy. Don't think I even need to explain this one.
Jan 28, 2019 4:42 PM

Dec 2015
AuraStormLucario said:
Milomite said:

I’ve been waiting for someone to mention Astro Boy. Question is, is it really a classic? It’s certainly a cultural milestone, it’s the only anime that I know of that was released in the whole 60s decade (other Han Dororo, which I only know of due to its remake 50 years later). Is it still being talked about by fans? I’ve never really heard of people being “fans” of Astro Boy. And I honestly don’t know anything about the quality of Astro Boy, all I know is that it was the first tv anime.

I mean, I watched it as a child, same with Pokemon. It was definitely popular, and it still has been continued until some years ago. For example, it had a movie in 2009, so it wasn't just the original series that was a cultural milestone because it continued due to its popularity. Though yes, today it's beginning to become shut away since it's been awhile since any new Astro Boy releases.
Jan 29, 2019 9:23 AM
Jan 2019
A classic is something that can be considered timeless, it can be enjoyed by anyone at anytime. It has to have impact, and it can't be something that just came out either. If it is going to have lasting impact and be considered timeless, it needs to age, you have to be able to come back to it after X amount of years and say "yeah, this hasn't aged a bit".

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Today

32 by Daviljoe193 »»
3 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

215 by ISeeLifePeople »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 1 hour ago

7 by BitChilly »»
3 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - 7 hours ago

24 by Coaghim »»
4 minutes ago

» Favorite characters you think are Sadist, Masochist, or Switch

IpreferEcchi - 8 hours ago

5 by Otakupervert890 »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.