Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 10, 2019 9:40 PM

Jul 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
"Life Ain't Gonna Lose" Episode Discussion

Poor Shun, hope the boy that the character is based off of gets better. Overall all, it's a much better short than the last one and its really heartwarming seeing the relationship bond between the mother and her son.
Jan 16, 2019 11:28 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
This one totally took me by surprise and I agree with the afterward commentary with Nishimura that there isn't a lot of media like this depicting kids and parents having a hard time with very menial tasks. It's a struggle that many go through. And you really felt for this mom even when she had to be tough on her son.

The dance scene had such great cuts, along with the scene where Shun is trying to get downstairs with his epipen. The animation was glorious and I'm so glad that despite the harsh subject that the entire short was watercolor. Brings me back to some simpler Ghibli times.
Mar 24, 2019 4:12 PM
Jan 2016
The director for this short is doing the ni no kuni anime, and considering how great this short is i have full confidence with the anime. Plus OLM animation since the last 5 years have been amazing Pokemon sun and moon is really proof of that.
Mar 26, 2019 1:53 AM

Apr 2016
Why is it that always when i watch moms taking care of their kids in anime, i end up liking it. Such a great story, we need more of these.
Mar 28, 2019 11:39 PM

Dec 2015
The drawings, colours, effects were pretty interesting for this kind of child story. But the movements of the characters kept looking weird during the whole segment.
The rendition of the allergic crisis at the end was great.

4/5 Nice "little hero" idea, after the literal little ones..

@Atetotion Was this one of those "real stories"?
Mar 29, 2019 12:58 AM

Jul 2017
Rei366 said:
The drawings, colours, effects were pretty interesting for this kind of child story. But the movements of the characters kept looking weird during the whole segment.
The rendition of the allergic crisis at the end was great.

4/5 Nice "little hero" idea, after the literal little ones..

@Atetotion Was this one of those "real stories"?

In the post-credit interview with the director, he basically modeled this short off of a kid that he knew. Unfortunately I can’t find the interview on YouTube so welp.
Apr 3, 2019 4:25 PM

Dec 2016
Pretty adorable and nice story
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Aug 10, 2019 8:59 PM
Mar 2012
Parenting life challenges with egg allergy certainly an unusual but very real topic. The school sports animation were very lively, as was the wild stair running scene.
Sep 7, 2019 10:30 PM

Oct 2016
Just like the first, it was beautiful and had an interesting premise but it was even more mundane, I can't relate with the kid so I didn't really like it, on to the final one.
Sep 18, 2019 1:06 PM

Apr 2016
That was a bit moving. Probably it’s my favourite out of the three. I liked the relationship between mother and soon and it was cute to see the relationship between the two childs.
Feb 2, 2020 4:32 AM

Dec 2014
Wow such an inspiring story...loved it all
Mar 2, 2020 5:22 PM

May 2019
Fear of the Egg.

The best was the festival horror story of the unintentional bite of death.
Jun 13, 2020 6:07 PM

Jun 2017
Poor Shun :(. This was a nice story with great animation.
Jun 26, 2020 6:15 PM
Jul 2018
Stripes said:
This one totally took me by surprise and I agree with the afterward commentary with Nishimura that there isn't a lot of media like this depicting kids and parents having a hard time with very menial tasks. It's a struggle that many go through. And you really felt for this mom even when she had to be tough on her son.

The dance scene had such great cuts, along with the scene where Shun is trying to get downstairs with his epipen. The animation was glorious and I'm so glad that despite the harsh subject that the entire short was watercolor. Brings me back to some simpler Ghibli times.

I agree. I really liked this story of the film, much more than the first one. I think the first story just felt too slow for me, and I wasn't really invested in the story.
Jun 27, 2020 8:15 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
RealTheAbsurdist said:
Stripes said:

I agree. I really liked this story of the film, much more than the first one. I think the first story just felt too slow for me, and I wasn't really invested in the story.

Well when you have a myriad of directors you'll get results for everyone. Personally I am not into Hiromasa Yonebayashi work he directed the first short along with (Arriety, Marnie, Mary) so it's not a shock that I wasn't very into it myself either 😂

If they do more show cases like this, I think the key is to have more personality driven directors who don't get a chance to output their work and ideas on what they've previously worked on.
Jul 22, 2020 7:19 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
The storyline felt better than that random first episode. I like these with some moral meaning behind the scenes. Absolutely brilliant direction. Story 8; art, sounds, animation 7; character 8; enjoyment; 8. Overall is 8/10
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jan 23, 2022 7:07 PM

Jun 2014
Having a serious allergy can be life threatening. A lot of the foods we consume contain eggs, making avoiding it very difficult.

This animation did a good job of showing what this is like.

Apr 23, 2022 10:07 AM
Mar 2019
Must be hard always checking labels before eating, Allergies can ruin your life.
May 2, 2022 11:02 AM

Mar 2010
This one was way better than the first short and i loved it.
Heartwarming and yet it felt simple in a good way. Daily struggles.
Especially the scene where she shouted you couldve died! Really got to me. Then you did it son when he grabbed the ebipen and did it
Sep 30, 2022 6:34 PM
Jan 2012
it was very good, to see the heroine saving the child at the bottom of the stairs, my heart thanks

More topics from this board

Poll: » Chiisana Eiyuu: Kani to Tamago to Toumei Ningen Episode 3 Discussion

LightQuill - Jan 10, 2019

29 by X_Lynn_X »»
Jun 19, 2023 6:40 PM

Poll: » Chiisana Eiyuu: Kani to Tamago to Toumei Ningen Episode 1 Discussion

LightQuill - Jan 10, 2019

19 by Gyarutsundere »»
May 2, 2022 10:43 AM

» Does anyone know where I can watch this?

merukomu11 - Mar 19, 2019

7 by Rickyyy007 »»
Aug 15, 2021 8:34 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.