Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 24, 2008 10:11 AM

Mar 2008
Well I always have thought of this. When driving a car, do you prefer automatics or manuals.

For me, I love to drive manual cars. I dont really know why to say the truth. I recently was given a automatic car and well didnt much like it, but I accepted it as it was being given to me.

When I was going for my licence, I was so uncomfortable driving a manual. I contantsly told myself "why am I going for a manual licence, why not just get auto and been done with it". Constaly making errors, stalling etc etc, My driving instruct would say, soon it will become second nature and you'd do it without thinking. So I stuck with it. The driving test came up and I passed on my first go (the pass rate for first attempt where I live is like 18 %)

From that point on, It has become second nature, not only do I change the gears without the thought, I prefer the manualst over the automatics always!

Automatics to me, are for when you get stuck in traffic ;)

anyway, would like too see some answers or opinions on which of the two you rather drive. I for one am pleased to be a manual driver :)
Coming soon!
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 24, 2008 10:14 AM

Nov 2007
I don't care. I don't have a license myself (just bike, not car) but in games I've preferred manuals as long as they have an auto clutch (such as Daytona and other similar arcade games). Were I to get a real license, I'd stick with auto I think. Most cars these days are auto (manual is an option for the mostpart) so I see no point in manual. The power difference is pretty much eliminated in modern autos, too.

But seeing as it doesn't impact me and I don't see myself ever having a car... I'm rather indifferent about it.
Mar 24, 2008 10:21 AM

Jul 2007

8 clutches
3 speed, constant mesh
Selector forks no dog clutches

Sam is my sweet peach
Mar 24, 2008 10:27 AM

Apr 2007
It depends if you see driving as something to be enjoyed or merely as something to get you from Point A to Point B. I've driven both (I didn't realize that there were separate licenses for manual and automatic in many places) and I really don't have a strong feeling on it one way or another. The advantages they used to cite for manuals, namely better stability, reliability, and fuel economy, have pretty much been overcome by computerized transmissions that can shift better than all-but-professional drivers.
Mar 24, 2008 10:37 AM

Nov 2007
Iri said:
(I didn't realize that there were separate licenses for manual and automatic in many places)

Here, at least, a manual license also entitles you to drive an auto. An auto license will allow you to drive a manual after you've had it for three years. (after which a license is just a license) -- I assume most places do something similar.
Mar 24, 2008 10:43 AM

Jul 2007
Asako said:
Iri said:
(I didn't realize that there were separate licenses for manual and automatic in many places)

Here, at least, a manual license also entitles you to drive an auto. An auto license will allow you to drive a manual after you've had it for three years. (after which a license is just a license) -- I assume most places do something similar.

Not in America (greatest nation in the world). If you pass your test with an automatic you can legally drive any vehicle.

Sam is my sweet peach
Mar 24, 2008 10:54 AM

Nov 2007
TheWestExit said:
Asako said:
Iri said:

Not in America (greatest nation in the world). If you pass your test with an automatic you can legally drive any vehicle.

Yeah, except buses, large trucks, motorcycles, and hovercraft.
Mar 24, 2008 10:56 AM

Mar 2007
i can barely drive an automatic. rofl. i have a dendency to space out while i drive or do too many things at once or cut people off... so i think me driving manual would kills thousands of people each year.
Mar 24, 2008 11:00 AM

Jul 2007
FireReaverX said:
Yeah, except buses, large trucks, motorcycles, and hovercraft.

By any vehicle I meant any manual or automatic car. You need special endorsements for all of those, including limos.

Sam is my sweet peach
Mar 24, 2008 11:10 AM

Dec 2007
I've had my driving lessons recently, and I have to say driving a car sucks =p It's quite a lot more to handle than I first thought.

For the first two lessons, managing to shift gears correctly was nightmarishly difficult for me, so the gearbox made all kinds of sounds as I switched from first to fourth, second to first, or started the car in third =p I kinda got the hang of it now, so with time I think manual shifting will become as easy as having an automatic one.

Kemonomimi Shoujo, a site dedicated to beautiful nekomimis, inumimis, kitsunemimis, usagimimis and more! Check out the club, too!
Mar 24, 2008 11:13 AM

Oct 2007
Automatic but I can handle stick-shift :p
Mar 24, 2008 11:24 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Manual, hands down. Doesn't feel like driving when you can't even shift yourself. Always prefered this.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Mar 24, 2008 11:28 AM
Overlord

Nov 2004
I could have sworn I replied to this topic... *looks around for it* Wtf...

Anyway, I said that I currently drive a manual, and I love it. But, my next car will definitely be an automatic. Traffic sucks way too much.
Mar 24, 2008 11:29 AM

Jan 2007
Auto for me. Never needed/wanted to learn manual but proabably will learn it eventually if I ever needed to.
Mar 24, 2008 11:30 AM

Oct 2007
now that I think about it, it's more convenient to drive a "manual" here in the US. that way, most of your friends wouldn't be able to borrow your car :p
Mar 24, 2008 12:43 PM

Jul 2007
Mylene said:
I've never attempted a manual, so I definitely prefer an automatic. I wouldn't mind learning how to drive a manual, but I don't know, it's hard to learn to drive one when you don't have one, and it's silly to buy one when you don't know how to drive one. Catch-22.

Save up $300 buy a beater and abuse the hell out of it. This way you don't have to worry about breaking the car because it only cost you $300 and then after you break it you can sell it for scrap/parts and maybe even make a return on your investment.

Sam is my sweet peach
Mar 24, 2008 2:35 PM
Dec 2007
Manual of course because its more cheaper and little more economic. And it gives more feeling to driving. Automatic may be best for inexpirienced drivers. But Eaton-Fuller-type gearbox is best i have used. It is faster than manual or automatic when you learn how to use it
Mar 24, 2008 2:38 PM

Mar 2008
Automatics. I would probably choose standards if I could actually drive one. Last time I tried to drive one I hit a parked van. Didn't help that my aunt was intoxicated trying to teach me when it happened lol.
Mar 24, 2008 3:49 PM

Jan 2008
I haven't learned how to drive Manual yet so I can't be sure at the moment. Many say that stick shift is cooler, but I'll just have to experience myself someday.
Mar 24, 2008 4:29 PM

Mar 2008
cyruz said:
Manual, hands down. Doesn't feel like driving when you can't even shift yourself. Always prefered this.

I'm learning on both right now but I definitely prefer manual, it's just somehow feels more fun.
Mar 24, 2008 5:05 PM
Feb 2008
whats it called when you sit in the back and someone else drives the car for you?

anyway thats my favorite.
Mar 24, 2008 5:08 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Pumy said:
whats it called when you sit in the back and someone else drives the car for you?

That's called off-topic.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Mar 24, 2008 5:10 PM
Feb 2008
cyruz said:
Pumy said:

That's called off-topic.

but but its a form of driving is'nt it?

isnt it automatic when you sit in the back and manual when you sit in the front?
Mar 24, 2008 5:14 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Stop trolling please, this thread is about manual shifting or automatic shifting.

Also, you just "answered" your own "question" from 3 posts ago.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Mar 24, 2008 5:28 PM
Feb 2008
cyruz said:
Stop trolling please, this thread is about manual shifting or automatic shifting.

Also, you just "answered" your own "question" from 3 posts ago.

your so mean.... just cos i dont know how to drive!! >_<

i crashed my car the first time i took it out on the road and i road the clutch all the way home...i didnt know where the smell of burning rubber was coming from.
Mar 24, 2008 6:11 PM

Dec 2007
Manual. Automatic is for wussies.

Seriously though, majority of people in the UK learn manual first. If you learn in a manual you can drive any transmission under the sun. Learn in an automatic and you can only drive automatic.

When I'm older and lazier I'll probably choose automatic. For now though, manual it is; more control and you feel connected to the car.
Mar 24, 2008 6:28 PM

Jul 2007
Situational. Automatic is much, much more convenient for doing grocery shopping or going short distances within the city. It is, however, very boring when driving medium and long distances.. or just cruising around.. and as mentioned, doesn't really feel like driving. Even with all the fancy and custom stuff automatic cars have nowadays (my parents both have automatic cars).

If you have ever (been forced to) drive(n) 40 or more kilometers with manual gears and no gps, and then tried the same thing with an automatic car and gps, you'll know what I mean.. it's tough staying awake at all while doing that, even with music and stuff!
Mar 24, 2008 8:20 PM

Jul 2007
it sucks to drive manual somettimes in new jersey and parts of the city...but i mean manual when you're driving a sportier car just has a feel automatic cant have.

if i ever get a more luxurious feeling car, id go for manual just for the relaxation factor. yeah its convenient, which is the plus and manual is fun and 'more real'.

Mar 25, 2008 12:00 AM

May 2007
I don't drive anymore (I am car-free by choice), but I prefer manuals.
Mar 25, 2008 12:18 AM

Dec 2007
the only car available to me is an automatic.... I want manual. automatic is boring
Mar 25, 2008 12:24 AM

Feb 2008
First car I got was a 5-speed 1986 nissan(datsun) pick-up. Old beater that would stall in cold weather. I lived in Alaska when I had it, it would stall all the time, but when it was warmed up, I could drive it just fine.

It's easier to learn the auto before manual, so you already know the basic mechanics on how to drive a car; then when you learn a stick, you can just focus on learning how to shift properly. Thats the route I took, I picked up stick in an instant. Honestly, I dont have any preference between the two, but its nice to know how to drive both types of transmissions.
In sterquiliniis invenitur.
Mar 25, 2008 12:53 AM

Aug 2007
Automatic for me, it's easier and requires less work from my part.
Mar 25, 2008 12:58 AM

Nov 2007
I prefer manual, it's more fun to drive :)

[url][/url]
Mar 25, 2008 2:01 AM

Feb 2008
Both automatic and manual, manual is fun to be practised because it keeps ur hand and ur left leg active n doing some jobs but when it comes to the clutch matter, it will be very annoying if the car suddenly stops the engine.. >.<
Mar 25, 2008 2:48 AM

Jun 2007
I'm taking my driving license right now and we are only able to choose to drive manual cars. It's not that hard to drive a manual car after a couple of tries. I'd say manual, but if I was given a automatic DSG tranny i wouldn't say no :P
Mar 25, 2008 5:52 AM

Oct 2006
It really depends. In terms of everyday driving, now that I've had both I definitely prefer an automatic. It's a pain to try to steer and shift gears while holding a cell phone, eating a burger, etc. So an automatic is just more convenient. But driving for fun, you can't beat a manual. Like some people have mentioned, it just doesn't feel like you're really driving unless you're shifting gears. What's more, they're cheaper to repair, and you can start them even with a dead battery if you're parked on a hill, so that's nice.
Mar 25, 2008 6:33 AM

Nov 2007
matics, friendlier for traffic jam and city street.
manual for free way and top speed.
car has both were great, humm I ever heard the name .... umm .... triptonic ??? or something.
Mar 25, 2008 9:47 AM

Apr 2007
I've been driving over 2 years and being from ireland we all drive manuals but i've driven an automatic for a while before and still believe that you have more control over your car for a manual and can accelerate quicker.
WargasmMar 25, 2008 9:50 AM
Mar 25, 2008 10:29 AM
Jun 2006
driving manual is alot better, automatic is for people without 1 arm....

seriously though, its like driving automatic when you have done it awhile.... its automatic etc...

Mar 25, 2008 11:01 AM

Dec 2007
I prefer automatic (double action if possible), though they can get jammed sometimes. The only manual type of gun that annoys me is a contender.

Oh wait... it's about cars... >_<

As for cars, i don't drive one, though i can imagine manuals have a big advantage. It seems like you're more in control..
Mar 25, 2008 11:19 AM
Nov 2007
i drive an automatic
but sometimes when im bored and we're all packed on the freeway going like 5-45 mph, i pretend im driving a manual so ppl think im cool
yup.
sometimes i add that "wtf my car is stalling OHNO3Z" face and hand movements.
works everytime.
yup.

(also, my friend drives a hybrid type auto/manual.
its pretty trippy)
Mar 25, 2008 11:34 AM

Dec 2007
i prefer auto but can drive manual
Mar 25, 2008 12:34 PM

Oct 2007
Manual all the way baby :)

"Thousands have lived without love, not one without water." -Wystan Hugh
Mar 25, 2008 12:51 PM

Oct 2006
Chavez said:
As for cars, i don't drive one, though i can imagine manuals have a big advantage. It seems like you're more in control..

I don't really follow how that's a big advantage. I mean, to most people having a hand free would be more convenient, I'd think. Sure, having more control over your car is better for performance, but how many of us are actually racing on a regular basis?
Mar 25, 2008 1:45 PM

Aug 2007
I prefer automatic cuz it's less trouble and I don't know how to drive manual anyway.

Mar 25, 2008 1:50 PM

Aug 2006
Krelian said:
Chavez said:

I don't really follow how that's a big advantage. I mean, to most people having a hand free would be more convenient, I'd think. Sure, having more control over your car is better for performance, but how many of us are actually racing on a regular basis?

You rarely ever need two hands on the wheel, besides it's not like you're holding the shifter all the time.

It's not just a performance thing either. If you can properly manipulate a manual vehicle, then you can increase the gas milage.

I miss driving a manual.
#dontcare
Mar 25, 2008 1:57 PM

Feb 2008
I still don't know how to drive a manual. >__>
Mar 25, 2008 2:09 PM

Oct 2006
Well, yeah, but if you're driving in town you need to use the shifter fairly regularly, which makes it a bit of a pain to do things like hold a cell phone. I guess I just prefer having less to do when I'm driving to get somewhere (as opposed to driving for fun, where I'd definitely go for a manual) - I have a lead foot, so I don't worry too much with a little better/worse gas mileage. I do miss driving a manual, and sometimes I regret not getting one (I bought my car on a whim, and they didn't have anything comparable on the lot with a manual transmission), but for the daily trek to and from work and highway driving to visit relatives and friends, which constitutes almost all the miles I put on my car, it's less hassle to have an automatic.
Mar 25, 2008 3:44 PM

Feb 2008
EchelonV said:
I still don't know how to drive a manual. >__>

You tried learning once before? I think you should give it another chance :).
In sterquiliniis invenitur.
Mar 25, 2008 4:31 PM

Feb 2008
I FAIL at manuals. My mother swears she will never attempt to teach me ever again.
I'm not coordinated enough for it or something - I completely forget that I even have a brake.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.