Forum Settings
Forums

High School of the Dead is officially cancelled, according to the artist of the series.

New
Dec 9, 2018 8:59 AM

Jan 2009
This comes from an interview with Shouji Sato, who illustrated both HOTD and, currently, Triage X. The writer of the series, Daisuke Sato (no, they're not brothers), died in 2017. Here's the important parts of the interview, translated by /a/:

Shouji: I started Triage X because SATOU Daisuke became sick in 2008. My editor told me to make a new HOTD but add other elements to it like cool motorcycles and a strong hero. It needed some sort of male hero and school setting. We (Artist + Editor) knew the Dragon Age readers would love that.

Souji: I wanted to end it in 6 volumes, because it was supposed to be a short in-between series until my friend Daisuke got better and we could continue HOTD. Now we're at 18 even though there was a note in volume 6 that the series would wrap up soon...

Interviewer: I'm a big fan of HOTD, wouldn't it be possible for you to continue it on your own? Or get a new author for it?

Editor(?): The final volume of HOTD is Volume 7. The ones who would be able to write a proper continuation aren't in this world anymore. Satou Daisuke was an outstanding writer, even if one would consider the material trivial, his commitment was out of this world. He wasn't half-hearted nor did he let others interfer with his vision. So if I were to continue it now, it would be like spitting on his grave.

Shouji: Overseas fans do not understand our struggles with this, they just write "Just continue HOTD alone", but that's not easy. I know that we stopped in the middle of the story and I know Daisuke would allow me to continue it on my own, but I cannot allow myself to put my hand on it without him by my side.

Editor: Overseas comics seem to have various writers. One starts, one falls, another takes his place. We don't do that. No one can replace the original author for us.

Interviewer: Well when will Triage X come to end when it clearly didn't happen in 6 haha?

Editor: 6 was the turning point, we're at 18 now. ...About Volume 28.

Souji: I'll try to end it by 21.

https://www.reddit.com/r/manga/comments/a4ktrc/high_school_of_the_dead_is_officially_cancelled/

the bold part says it all
Dec 9, 2018 10:56 AM

Feb 2018
its about damn time
Dec 9, 2018 12:33 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
i guess that will officially shut up people about Shouji taking over HOTD.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Dec 9, 2018 2:51 PM

Nov 2011
Dec 9, 2018 10:55 PM
Memelord Mcgee

Jun 2014
What a damn shame, I get it....but a damn shame nonetheless.
"Ayyy lmao" - Lil B
Dec 9, 2018 11:36 PM
Jul 2018
sad .. i genuinely enjoyed this series for the tiddies
Dec 10, 2018 3:30 AM

May 2018
Matrix boobs will forever be remembered
Dec 10, 2018 6:27 AM

Jan 2018
Finally, it ends officially.They should have continued it though
Dec 11, 2018 8:01 PM

Dec 2015
Kinda unfortunate but understandable
Dec 11, 2018 9:55 PM

Dec 2014
Wait, do western authors really do that? If you die, can another schmuck just take over without you?
Dec 12, 2018 7:09 AM
Jan 2016
That sucks :'(
I hope the anime might return one day and give it its own conclusion.
Dec 12, 2018 9:20 AM

Feb 2014
That is a disappointing conclusion that's the one thing i didn't want him to say to not continue it, kinda mad that we won't see anymore Saeko, hell all the character designs were pretty good.

Oh well at least Shouji is still continuing his various manga that's a good thing.
Dragon Kick Your Ass Into The Milky Way!

Feb 17, 2019 5:32 AM

Jun 2014
Tonyic said:
Wait, do western authors really do that? If you die, can another schmuck just take over without you?

Yes. Think about all American comics, to this day the authors of Spiderman and the likes are not the same as the original authors.

French comics can also replace authors, for instance the author of the Smurfs died and since then his son has been writing for the Smurfs. Many popular series have had new authors when the previous died or moved on to other projects.

So basically, it is quite common for new western authors to take over a popular series.
Jul 9, 2019 12:42 AM
Jan 2011
rgk said:
Tonyic said:

Yes. Think about all American comics, to this day the authors of Spiderman and the likes are not the same as the original authors.

French comics can also replace authors, for instance the author of the Smurfs died and since then his son has been writing for the Smurfs. Many popular series have had new authors when the previous died or moved on to other projects.

So basically, it is quite common for new western authors to take over a popular series.

Of course. Comics like Superman,Batman,etc go back decades. Nobody lives forever, so they need someone to continue them.
Aug 6, 2019 3:37 AM

Nov 2015
A real shame. Now I'll never get to see where the series was supposed to go. I had been hopeful for four years, but now...
Aug 6, 2019 5:11 AM

Jan 2014
Wow, I can feel he really respected his colleague. It's kind of sweet how he talks about him. Maybe I watched bakuman. too often but his words almost made me emotional.

I only learned about his death few days ago because it's been a long time since I read HotD. I really enjoyed the first 5 volumes of the Manga when I was younger though (like 9 years ago), even enough to buy them, which didn't happen often.
Aug 6, 2019 8:13 AM

Jul 2019
That's really too bad, RIP.
Aug 6, 2019 8:32 AM

Jul 2013
That sucks. We'll never truly know where it goes. It was one of those ecchi shows I enjoyed.
Aug 30, 2019 5:17 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
So one should look to Triage X (manga) if they want something more like HOTD...
Guess I will do that if I get into HOTD and feel like I need to see more of the mangaka art, noneless death is death, I didnt knew the guy, but it is never a motive of happiness to see people that changed so many lifes, where struggling to work and do that they love, die before being able to finish what they had been pouring all their passion at.
RIP
Sep 29, 2019 1:53 AM

Oct 2010
Just finished HOTD, rip to the author, it was a fun read.
Jul 14, 2020 4:07 PM

Feb 2014
Getting discontinued is bad, but I don't know how bad would it be if he told us at least what the mangaka was planning to do with the story
Aug 19, 2020 3:39 PM
Nov 2017
I respect the editor. RIP HOtD. It was a fun rollercoaster while it lasted.
Oct 31, 2020 11:14 PM

Jun 2013
That ending from the TV series hits me really different now.

The manga has been on my radar for awhile since the TV series made me want more, but now I'm just not sure if I'll be able to mentally handle a series being left unfinished once I become immersed into it. Although, I totally respect Shouji's wishes and understands why he decides to not continue it.

RIP and thank you to Daisuke for this amazing series.

Dec 17, 2020 9:01 AM

Sep 2010
Tonyic said:

I think they do that what happen with RWBY & Red vs Blue
AkatsukiUlquioraJan 15, 2021 4:13 PM
Jan 15, 2021 12:05 PM
Jun 2019
AkatsukiUlquiora said:
Tonyic said:

I think they did that with RWBY

Yes, and what followed in it's wake was a slow but steady decline.
Jan 15, 2021 12:07 PM
Jun 2019
TheFinalChamber said:
That ending from the TV series hits me really different now.

The manga has been on my radar for awhile since the TV series made me want more, but now I'm just not sure if I'll be able to mentally handle a series being left unfinished once I become immersed into it. Although, I totally respect Shouji's wishes and understands why he decides to not continue it.

RIP and thank you to Daisuke for this amazing series.

Yeah it's kind of sad, I'm in the same boat you are right now with the manga. I just wish we knew how the story was going to end or he left behind a note on where he was planning on taking it or something, because in about 25 chapters I'm going to need some serious closure.
Jan 15, 2021 4:15 PM

Sep 2010
BurrZurrCarr said:
AkatsukiUlquiora said:

I think they did that with RWBY

Well at first it was but apparently it was going up again but idk after that I did stopped watching it I may return to finish it
Jan 15, 2021 7:06 PM
Jun 2019
AkatsukiUlquiora said:
BurrZurrCarr said:

Well at first it was but apparently it was going up again but idk after that I did stopped watching it I may return to finish it

Season 4 was alright, but season 5 brought me nothing but pain and sadness. I can appreciate people who still enjoy it, but the series has lost energy and passion it once had. Yes, sometimes it works and a few fights are okay, but consistency wise it's lowered it's bar and it's on track to hit rock bottom.
Jan 28, 2021 8:51 AM
Jun 2015
Yeah read the news back in 2017 and was really sad knowing that this was the final nail on the coffin for the series...To this day I am pretty sad that HOTD never got a propar send off....Will always be one of my favourit manga/anime, but I must say I am surprised that they never made a second Season eventhough the manga sould really good and the popularity the anime had, yes both in the west and in japan. Could have adapted the last 13 chapters plus some filler ending, but yeah.....just sad about how this turn out :/
Feb 13, 2021 10:21 PM
Jun 2019
SilverLeo said:
Yeah read the news back in 2017 and was really sad knowing that this was the final nail on the coffin for the series...To this day I am pretty sad that HOTD never got a propar send off....Will always be one of my favourit manga/anime, but I must say I am surprised that they never made a second Season eventhough the manga sould really good and the popularity the anime had, yes both in the west and in japan. Could have adapted the last 13 chapters plus some filler ending, but yeah.....just sad about how this turn out :/

I agree, I think it's kind of strange given that the manga was nearing it's conclusion to begin with that they never gave it the go ahead for a final season with an anime original ending. Maybe they didn't want any adaptations to be done when the author died.
Jul 18, 2023 9:30 PM
Dec 2022
BurrZurrCarr said:
SilverLeo said:

I agree, I think it's kind of strange given that the manga was nearing it's conclusion to begin with that they never gave it the go ahead for a final season with an anime original ending. Maybe they didn't want any adaptations to be done when the author died.
Why would Shouji cancel HOTD after Daisuke died is he retarded or just stupid? I mean he's probably so stupid he doesn't even know he's stupid?
Jul 19, 2023 12:00 AM

Jan 2017
JediPadawan2001 said:
Why would Shouji cancel HOTD after Daisuke died is he retarded or just stupid?

All was said in the original post.
Shouji: Overseas fans do not understand our struggles with this, they just write "Just continue HOTD alone", but that's not easy.
Editor: Overseas comics seem to have various writers. One starts, one falls, another takes his place. We don't do that. No one can replace the original author for us.

Japan has a very high respect for writers , and they won't just replace him by someone else because you want the continuation.
Also , in case you didn't realized , Shouji is only an Artist , all he do is drawings scenes planned by someone else. He doesn't have the skills to write a story , even a continuation of what he already did , it's a whole another job.
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... and hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Jul 19, 2023 5:10 AM
Dec 2022
Alexioos95 said:
JediPadawan2001 said:
Why would Shouji cancel HOTD after Daisuke died is he retarded or just stupid?

All was said in the original post.
Shouji: Overseas fans do not understand our struggles with this, they just write "Just continue HOTD alone", but that's not easy.

Japan has a very high respect for writers , and they won't just replace him by someone else because you want the continuation.
Also , in case you didn't realized , Shouji is only an Artist , all he do is drawings scenes planned by someone else. He doesn't have the skills to write a story , even a continuation of what he already did , it's a whole another job.
I know that's bullshit because Shouji can just continue HOTD better yet i think Shouji should have died instead of Daisuke i mean nobody cares for him it's not like he has feelings.
Jul 19, 2023 5:12 AM

Jan 2017
JediPadawan2001 said:
I know that's bullshit because Shouji can just continue HOTD better

Uff , you definitely never tried to professionally write something before.

In view of what you say , it's obvious that you are a banal consumer , and not an art appreciator.
I'm glad Japan doesn't listen to what people like you want , and keep respecting the Authors.
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

– Alexioos95.
Jul 19, 2023 5:29 AM
Dec 2022
Alexioos95 said:
JediPadawan2001 said:
I know that's bullshit because Shouji can just continue HOTD better

Uff , you definitely never tried to professionally write something before.

In view of what you say , it's obvious that you are a banal consumer , and not an art appreciator.
I'm glad Japan doesn't listen to what people like you want , and keep respecting the Authors.
What do you mean by that?
Jul 19, 2023 5:34 AM

Jan 2017
JediPadawan2001 said:

That you are basically just complaining here that you want the continuation of the story , without thinking even one instant of all the creative process there is behind , and respecting the Authors for that.
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

– Alexioos95.
Jul 20, 2023 5:14 AM
Dec 2022
Jul 20, 2023 5:34 AM

Jan 2017
Kllamk said:
It's not like HOTD has a deep or complicated plot to beign with.

I don't disagree , but a professional artist can't improvise himself professional writer just because he wants to.
That's 2 different jobs.

And yes , most Mangakas actually do both (writing + drawings) , but not the 2 Authors of this Manga.
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

– Alexioos95.
Jul 20, 2023 6:02 AM

Jan 2017
Kllamk said:
Apparently, you don't know the artist of HOTD, namely Satou Shouji, has started writing a manga named Triage X

In this case , it's my bad.
He technically could continue the story of Highschool Of The Dead.
But as he said , he won't , in respect of the original writer.
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

– Alexioos95.
Aug 5, 2023 8:53 PM
Dec 2022
Alexioos95 said:
Kllamk said:
Apparently, you don't know the artist of HOTD, namely Satou Shouji, has started writing a manga named Triage X

In this case , it's my bad.
He technically could continue the story of Highschool Of The Dead.
But as he said , he won't , in respect of the original writer.
That's bullshit as he can just put Triage X on hold and continue Highschool of the Dead better yet i think Shouji should have died instead of Daisuke as he's a manga artist and nobody cares about him it's not like he has feelings.

More topics from this board

» Is this back on hiatus again? ( 1 2 3 )

HollowIchigo58 - Aug 6, 2013

100 by Ugliz »»
Mar 24, 1:11 PM

Poll: » Highschool of the Dead Chapter 30 Discussion ( 1 2 )

rookiestalker - Apr 9, 2013

85 by bakakisima »»
Dec 31, 2023 7:32 AM

» Miyamoto, Rei feelings towards Takashi ?

kelfounet - Jun 19, 2010

41 by MASTERCRAFT938 »»
Aug 28, 2023 6:06 PM

Poll: » Highschool of the Dead Chapter 20 Discussion

Darkreaper70 - Jun 12, 2008

19 by maiestas_ »»
Aug 16, 2023 6:20 AM

Poll: » Highschool of the Dead Chapter 33 Discussion

Syureria - Sep 25, 2018

1 by Kiba_Senpai »»
Jul 7, 2023 3:03 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.