Forum Settings
Forums

Anime that inspire you to read the source material? (LN or Manga)

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 8, 2018 12:10 AM

Feb 2010
a lot of anime in regards to manga, but Light novels is harder since you have to really dig to find the LN translation anywhere and its not common for it to be sold outside the country of origin.

and some times the LN translation being sold is nothing like the actual LN.

that being said a lot of times i like an anime read the manga then realize the anime is not as good or completely disregarded its source material.

LOOKING AT YOU DREAM EATER MERRY. YOU COULD HAVE BEEN GREAT ;_;
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Nov 8, 2018 4:17 AM

Jul 2017
Date a Live made me read LNs but only for a short time meanwhile, JoJo got me into manga.
Nov 8, 2018 5:34 PM
Apr 2018
Like 99.99% of ecchi harem series
Because garbage series will always
Get multi season over good series
Nov 8, 2018 8:41 PM

Oct 2017
ecchiharemgeek said:

I am confused.

Do you mean ecchi series being garbage or all the other series that's not ecchi = garbage?
Nov 8, 2018 8:44 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
The 3-episodes OVA of Imawa no Kuni no Alice and Prison School made me read the manga, no regret.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Nov 8, 2018 8:45 PM

May 2018
a lot, and always i have enjoyed the source material a bit more as its the originals authors vision and you can see everything the anime skipped on.

Noragami
Kamisama Hajimemashita
Akatsuki no Yona
Mo Dao zu Shi
One Punch Man
Doukyuusei
Rurouni Kenshin
inuyasha
those are what ive completed/reading but i have a few more on my plan to read

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* 愛してる *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Nov 8, 2018 8:48 PM

Oct 2017
DatRandomDude said:
The 3-episodes OVA of Imawa no Kuni no Alice and Prison School made me read the manga, no regret.

Prison School ending is garbage though.

So sad the later 1/3 of the manga is complete drag + garbage..
Nov 8, 2018 8:54 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Ventus_S said:
DatRandomDude said:

Prison School ending is garbage though.

So sad the later 1/3 of the manga is complete drag + garbage..

Well, i never finished the manga, i took a break a while ago (i dont even know why lmao) and when i heard it became disappointing at the end i just never touched it again. (never been a manga reader to begin with so its easy to put me off)

Still, what i've read before my break has been great.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Nov 8, 2018 9:07 PM

May 2010
A lot really. When I started actively reading manga I started with the ones I really wanted to know the ending.

But for books, I've read a bunch but the ones that stood out because I want to finish them are/were Juuni Kokuki, Moribito (absolutely maddening this was cancelled by Viz), No Game No Life and Full Metal Panic.
Nov 8, 2018 9:19 PM

Jul 2014
Nope. Never. When I read manga, I prefer to hold the books. Also, I don't read light novels. They don't interest me. Right now, the only manga I read are One Piece, Vinland Saga, and Youtsuba&. Because of its length and the fact that I've only been reading the manga for the past few years, I read One Piece online, but Yotsuba&? I want to read that physically.
Nov 8, 2018 9:53 PM

Mar 2013
A few maybe.
Negima
Magi
Dragon Maid (gets really weird though...like even weirder than the anime...)
are the ones that come to mind but these days I pick up manga more often that eventually get an adaptation.
Karakuri Circus might be the next one for me depending on how the anime goes.
Nov 8, 2018 10:06 PM
Jul 2018
Pandora hearts is probably the first manga I did this for.
Nov 8, 2018 10:09 PM

Feb 2016
Happens with A LOT of titles tbh. Usually I'm picking up the source material of something once an anime adaption has been announced and looks kinda interesting. But the first one that comes to my mind is Kino no Tabi - when talking about LNs.
Nov 8, 2018 11:37 PM
Apr 2018
Ventus_S said:
ecchiharemgeek said:

I am confused.

Do you mean ecchi series being garbage or all the other series that's not ecchi = garbage?

I’m saying garbage series get multi seasons
Over good anime ie: ecchi harem series
Nov 8, 2018 11:52 PM
Aug 2018
Full metal panic is the only anime that's made me want to read the original novel.

I do not really watch much anime, I prefer reading.
Nov 11, 2018 7:00 PM

Jul 2013
most of the ones on my anime list tbh
unless i already was reading the source material (ex. Akatsuki no Yona, Haikyuu, Shokugeki no Soma, BnHA)
Nov 19, 2018 5:35 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Pretty much all the manga in my favourites - all of them had incomplete adaptations. Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle’s anime adaptation was pretty bad.
Nov 19, 2018 7:22 PM

Jul 2014
The only one's are One Piece and Fairy Tail. I finished the FT anime and decided to read the manga. I got bored pretty quick and just stopped reading it. As for One Piece, I started reading the manga because I felt like the anime, which was adapting the Dressrosa arc at the time, was wasting my time with the ridiculous amount of filler scenes featuring, for example, 20 solid seconds of building falling from the sky or exploding. It was nigh unwatchable.

If it counts, I think I picked up the first volume of Toriko after watching the Toriko-One Piece-Dragonball crossover special. I haven't picked up another volume since.
Nov 20, 2018 7:08 AM

Jul 2017
Slam Dunk, Shingeki no Kyojin, Diamond no Ace and other few anime that made me read the manga. Spice and Wolf and Kino no Tabi for novels.

smell of coffee
songs of sleep

Nov 20, 2018 7:11 AM

Jan 2018
Attack on Titan,I remember when it was still a good show,after watched ss2,I wanted to know more about it.Now the manga's getting quite boring tho
Nov 21, 2018 6:05 AM

Nov 2018
Durarara!!, Death Note, Fairy Tail and K gave me the interest to read their manga/ln. But not all of this 4 were good in my opinion.
Nov 21, 2018 7:06 AM

May 2017
Durarara and Bleach, i want ot read classroom of the elite but the LN and anime is diffrent
Dec 5, 2018 5:32 AM
Nov 2018
Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku o!
Ln:god's blessings in this wonderful world.

Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken.
Ln:see above.
Dec 5, 2018 6:10 AM
Dec 2017
Welcome to the NHK,absolutely.I finished the anime and it became one of my all time favourites.Then I heard that it has a manga and LN and they are a bit different from the anime i.e. they have more/different story points.As the anime lefy me quite empty after I finished it,I rejoiced at the notion of more NHK for me to experience.So I read the manga and I swear to god I fell in love with it in the first few volumes.I was cynical about it at first but the character progressions and plot advancements which were a tad bit different from the anime were exceptionally handled.After finishing it,it's safe to say that I like it more than the anime.Gonna read the LN now.
Dec 5, 2018 6:54 AM
Dec 2017
There are a lot, like Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-San and Amagi Brilliant Park, that I started reading because I greatly enjoyed the anime. The most recent example is Goblin Slayer. Some mangas, however, while not being bad at all, are very disappointing compared to their anime version, namely Kobayashi-San Chi no Maid Dragon.

Then we have the ones that are so bad that I started reading the manga because I thought it would be at least a little better than the anime. This was the case of Ore ga Suki nano wa Imouto. The anime itself is not really that bad, but the deformed art makes you think that that’s the type of deformation that a child of siblings may be subjected to (XD XD XD). Then I went to the manga and found out that the art was not only better, but surprisingly good.

And then they are the ones I read the manga first and that inspired me to watch the anime: Kishukku Gakkou no Juliet (decent adaptation with good art), Maoyuu Maou Yuusha (pretty disappointing adaptation with beautiful art), etc.
Dec 5, 2018 7:03 AM
May 2009
Konosuba.
Youjou Senki
I think thats about it.
I have read other stuff, but not anime related.
Dec 5, 2018 7:13 AM

May 2016
Noragami and Attack on Titan.

Noragami's manga was hella good and AoT was pretty alright. I think AoT's story is good but it definitely is more engaging as an anime

Dec 5, 2018 2:13 PM

Dec 2008
Kimagure Orange Road and Maison Ikkoku and Chocotto Sister.
Life Is Short But Intense.
Dec 7, 2018 4:57 AM

Jul 2017
Anime rarely managed to make me do that. Fate/stay night is one of the only times though.

I only play otome games (otome visual novels) since I'm a girl. Fate/stay night is the first VN where I play as a guy with a lot (technically few) girls to choose. Back then, I didn't know regarding the action in it. I decided to gave the VN a try after watching a bit of the anime (my friends who were watching the anime.) And I do not regret that decision.

Now, I'm completely hooked at the Fate series and I'm even playing Fate/Grand Order. (Though I'm not gonna watch Kaleid no matter what)

Help, I'm hooked into the Fate series (not all) and am obsessed with Shirou x Saber!
Also, forever hoping for a ufotable remake of the Fate route!
Dec 7, 2018 5:28 AM
Oct 2018
Akabane_Atalai said:
Durarara and Bleach, i want ot read classroom of the elite but the LN and anime is diffrent

Its all the more reason to read it if its different.
I have read upto vol 8 and its very good. You wont be dissapointed.
Dec 7, 2018 5:44 AM

Sep 2018
I'm not a big reader of manga or LNs . I am reading tokyo ghoul manga but i was more forced than inspired by the anime adaptation to read the source manga coz the anime -except for S1- frankly sucked .
Dec 7, 2018 5:46 AM

Mar 2018
When I first started watching anime, I felt like reading the source material is a must which lead me to finish Naruto and Fairy Tail. The World God Only Knows and Sora no Otoshimono are two examples I can think of which inspired me to read the source. Fate/stay night also inspired me to play the VN. But lately, I rarely follow the source material unless I got super curious to what happens next, and that kind of anime became very scarce. And I don't tend to follow the source if the anime has a close ending, whether it's canon or not. (Like Soul Eater and Happy Sugar Life)

Dec 7, 2018 5:54 AM

Oct 2015
Girls' Last Tour. I wanted to see their journey to it's conclusion and boy was it worth it.
Dec 7, 2018 5:58 AM

May 2017
25NOVember said:
Akabane_Atalai said:

Its all the more reason to read it if its different.
I have read upto vol 8 and its very good. You wont be dissapointed.

thx for the info, I will check and read it if there is time
Dec 7, 2018 6:02 AM

Dec 2008
Usually unfinished romance anime, like "Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun". There were also "Shugo Chrara" and "Katekyo Hitman Reborn". Now I'm kinda inspired to read "Cardcaptor Sakura", but I don't know if I will.
I think I read the source material when I am really curious of the ending of the story and the anime didn't finish with a clear ending.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts.

Pinoffin - 12 hours ago

45 by Pinoffin »»
3 minutes ago

» Would you be surprised if someone said your favorite anime was the greatest anime of all time? ( 1 2 )

MeanMrMusician - Mar 28

52 by bucciest »»
5 minutes ago

» Which character in your favorites is the most down bad / warped personality?

IpreferEcchi - Apr 5

22 by bucciest »»
6 minutes ago

» Anime adaptation wish list

kuroneko99 - Apr 5

24 by bucciest »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » hate watching

deg - Apr 14

46 by bucciest »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.