Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
That Time I got Reincarnated as a Slime
Available on Manga Store
New
Oct 23, 2018 2:18 AM
Oct 2014
With 4 episodes in, that should give you an impression on the series. So what works and what you think should improve for our slimy friend?

*NOTE:* Refrain from comparing to Goblin Slayer just because there are Goblins in both. I heard some people couldn't like the depiction of Goblins in Reincarnated as a Slime because of the latter anime.

Animation is really good. It's very colorful and the movements are very fluid. Just look at some of the wolf running scenes and you can see why.

The anime itself has an energetic, fun-loving vibe to it.

The giant dragon is pretty cool.

Decent opening and ending.

Dislikes:

Main character is effortlessly overpowered. It might just be my gripe with Isekai anime in general. I also find his voice to be annoying at times (who am I kidding, he's a slime), and even though he is in his thirties (with a decent job no less) in the real world before he died, he is acting rather childish out here.

Pacing is a bit odd. The first two episodes were slow, and then the main character gathers two warring races to become his followers in the third. Perhaps it would be better if he has more interactions with the Goblins exclusively or the fight against the wolves happens in multiple stages, rather than just be resolved within 5 minutes.

Like I said in a general post, this season has been a blast so far. I like this anime. What do you think about it?
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 23, 2018 2:46 AM

Sep 2016
There is a difference between "overpowered" and "Strong". Why do you not wait until the end of this series and then draw conclusions about his strenght.

I like the characters in this series, they are not too extravagant but are likeable. The pacing and the characters are the best things about this series so far

The pacing of this series also helps to give the world color and not feel too artificial. I have to say that reading the novel a while back, some interesting things await us
Oct 23, 2018 2:58 AM

Apr 2018
i like f*cking everything lol, it's pretty fun to watch, great animaton/designs/colors, and all the characters are likeable

loolz said:

The pacing of this series also helps to give the world color and not feel too artificial. I have to say that reading the novel a while back, some interesting things await us

Agreed
Oct 23, 2018 4:36 AM
Mar 2015
++
4 Ep and still i can't found CGI in this anime. They not even using it on running wolves.
Oct 23, 2018 4:50 AM
Nov 2015
Overpower MC ? NOT GOOD YOU SAID ?

One punch man, overlord and dragon balls say hi.

I bet you didn't watch to aru manjutsu no index.
Heh this is why My animelist cancerous, still remember when to aru manjutsu release what people said ?

Huuu mc weak, that trash drop anime. This or that anime mc to slow progress his power bla bla bla weak useless trash drop.

Meh this post maybe he tried to compare this anime to shitty Kirito.
Bait post trash post as always good job trash mal community.
Well I'm not joking most mc that take slow progress to become strong anime end up become underated like to aru manjutsu or fail because trash community.
redcobraOct 23, 2018 5:03 AM
Oct 23, 2018 4:55 AM

May 2012
Everything about it. Characters, story, opening song are all good.

Dislikes:

Noting.
Oct 23, 2018 5:21 AM
Jan 2018
He's only looks overpowerd it's becouse he's surrounded by weak monsters. There are more powerful beings in this series then just him at this momment in time. And some are even more powerful then him
Oct 23, 2018 5:34 AM

Oct 2010
What I like:

-How chill and comedic everything is, even when the stakes are set. It's a good change of pace.

-The main character is surprisingly nice and likeable in his interactions and rationalizations. Even in his pervy mode he's somewhat chill.

-Visually it's quite fine.

-I like the opening.

-There is some dumb fun in the way the MC gets new powers from basically everything. I don't mind that the guy is overpowered if it goes on like this.

What I dislike:

-I'm not a fan of the overall narrative structure of the series, but that's me not being into RPG settings.

-The ending is meh.

-The pacing could indeed be improved.

-While I'm liking the mood and the characters, it's not like I'm falling in love with them. They are fine.

It's a good show and I don't have many issues with it. It's just not that fascinating to me.
Oct 23, 2018 8:28 AM

Sep 2017
Mookster said:
I like how the Goblin Slayer eats/drinks through his helm and i think that the healer girls outfit is pretty cute.

I don't like how I don't really care about any of the characters or where the story is going but I'm going to keep on watching it because I have a pretty high tolerance for lukewarm medieval-ish fantasy stories with monsters in them.

You're in the wrong show bud.

ボールルームダンサー
Oct 23, 2018 8:34 AM
Jul 2014
redcobra said:

Heh this is why My animelist cancerous, still remember when to aru manjutsu release what people said ?

Huuu mc weak, that trash drop anime. This or that anime mc to slow progress his power bla bla bla weak useless trash drop.

Well I'm not joking most mc that take slow progress to become strong anime end up become underated like to aru manjutsu or fail because trash community.

One Punch Man is a satire of superhero tropes so that negates that argument. Overlord is trash or more, 'average'. There's been no real conflict between Ains whatsoever and the only saving grace is its 'World-building' to which means naught because Ains is so fucking overpowered. And Dragonball Z is not about being overpowered, it just uses the shounen tropes of if you get beat, train/power up and beat the villain.

First episode gave major warnings with, 'Physical damage nullification' and the ability to absorb the abilities of everything.

Major thing wrong with these power-fantasy anime is just what else the main character does to pull from their asses to completely overwhelm the enemy. It's fun to watch at the start but soon, you get to the point of, there's no point in watching this because whatever the enemy does, the MC's just going to beat him. That's why Re:Zero was so good to watch: because it was about a retard human being, trying to affect the world that's much bigger than he is when he's just less than average.
NewtwuOct 23, 2018 8:38 AM
Oct 23, 2018 2:45 PM

Oct 2014
Newtwu said:
redcobra said:

First episode gave major warnings with, 'Physical damage nullification' and the ability to absorb the abilities of everything.

If you use words like "major warnings" (or "red flags", as most would call it) then at least get the facts straight. Rimuru doesn't have "pyhsical damage nullifcation".

What he actually has are "Pain Nullification" and "Physical Damage Resistance". He can still be killed by physical attacks if they hit enough times and are strong enough.
Oct 23, 2018 3:05 PM
Jul 2014
Grey-Zone said:
Newtwu said:

If you use words like "major warnings" (or "red flags", as most would call it) then at least get the facts straight. Rimuru doesn't have "pyhsical damage nullifcation".

What he actually has are "Pain Nullification" and "Physical Damage Resistance". He can still be killed by physical attacks if they hit enough times and are strong enough.

True, but does that change the fact that he's a Gary Stu/Mary Sue? No. Sure he can still be killed but he never will. Best that happens is a scratch like with Ainz. Unless there's actual tension being created, then there's not really going to be a plot or any real character development that going to be made.
Oct 23, 2018 3:24 PM

Oct 2014
Newtwu said:
Grey-Zone said:

True, but does that change the fact that he's a Gary Stu/Mary Sue? No. Sure he can still be killed but he never will. Best that happens is a scratch like with Ainz. Unless there's actual tension being created, then there's not really going to be a plot or any real character development that going to be made.

I disagree with the general idea. "Tension" has always been fake in most of fiction. How many protagonists actually die in the middle of the story (other than "fake" protagonists)? You can always use the word "convenient" when any main character escapes death, even when they use "their own wits" to get out of a crisis, because there was convenient a way out that the protagonist could realize and the antagonist's plan just "happened to have" such a flaw in it that can be exploited.

That's why I never really feel tension anyway. It's just about the strength of a fairly pointless facade of weakness for the protagonist, but in the end they get protected by the ever-present plot armor anyway. The story ends if they die - or it turns out they weren't the protagonist to begin with.

I rather care about different aspects of a series rather than about why a protagonist of any series that involves battles and the risk of death is able to survive. Of course the method of escaping death can be of interest in itself, but it's not a requirement if there are other good things to focus on.
Grey-ZoneOct 23, 2018 3:28 PM
Oct 23, 2018 4:10 PM
Jul 2014
Grey-Zone said:
Newtwu said:

I disagree with the general idea. "Tension" has always been fake in most of fiction. How many protagonists actually die in the middle of the story (other than "fake" protagonists)? You can always use the word "convenient" when any main character escapes death, even when they use "their own wits" to get out of a crisis, because there was convenient a way out that the protagonist could realize and the antagonist's plan just "happened to have" such a flaw in it that can be exploited.

That's why I never really feel tension anyway. It's just about the strength of a fairly pointless facade of weakness for the protagonist, but in the end they get protected by the ever-present plot armor anyway. The story ends if they die - or it turns out they weren't the protagonist to begin with.

I rather care about different aspects of a series rather than about why a protagonist of any series that involves battles and the risk of death is able to survive. Of course the method of escaping death can be of interest in itself, but it's not a requirement if there are other good things to focus on.

What are you even on about? Do you even know what tension is? Tension makes the viewer go on the edge of their seats. It's something that occurs when there is an obstacle or challenge for the MC to overcome. It brings out the emotions of anxiety, worry, and stress in the viewer. It can range from Light trying to avoid capture while simultaneously trying to kill L in Death Note to wanting to find out a mystery in Hyouka or even simply confessing in Tsuki ga Kirei. The fact that you say you never feel tension is complete and utter BS.

Sure, it can be convenient when (the most notorious example) Kirito wills himself to stay alive because plot but if a character is basically perfect and has no real flaws (a Mary Sue), it's the exact same as convenience. There is no tension and no obstacles he really needs to overcome because he has this ability or because he's perfect. You don't see this with good characters and good stories. Take Death Note for example, L outwits Light in the first few chapters where he is introduced, showing that there is an equal and that Light can be outsmarted. With Mary Sues however, there is no development of character and the plot just goes from he/she does this and then he does this, and then this because he's perfect. (Or because he's Batman XD but even then, the reason why the dark knight trilogy was so good was because Bruce is flawed and not because he could do anything because he's Batman)

It's definitely true there are many different aspects to a series but you're going to need the fundamentals of good plot and good character development in every genre but slice of life where good character development is essential, to create a good story. Shinsekai Yori is a great example of this. Amazing plot, Amazing character development, amazing world building, good directing and story-telling and not to mention an amazing soundtrack. Oregairu Zoku as well in terms of slice of life. You've got an amazing character development, with really good animation and soundtrack to back it up.
NewtwuOct 23, 2018 4:17 PM
Oct 23, 2018 5:03 PM

Dec 2015
It's solid on animation and it does a good job on showing how this world works.
But I really hate this childish tone. It's impossible to make a serious moment on this anime, because the soundtrack is too "cute" and the main character voice is just anoying. I'm not asking for a dark series, but I'm asking something not childish, something that has moments of actual tension. Because of this tone, I can give this show a 6 at best.
Oct 23, 2018 5:09 PM

Oct 2014
Newtwu said:
Grey-Zone said:

What are you even on about? Do you even know what tension is? Tension makes the viewer go on the edge of their seats. It's something that occurs when there is an obstacle or challenge for the MC to overcome. It brings out the emotions of anxiety, worry, and stress in the viewer. It can range from Light trying to avoid capture while simultaneously trying to kill L in Death Note to wanting to find out a mystery in Hyouka or even simply confessing in Tsuki ga Kirei. The fact that you say you never feel tension is complete and utter BS.

Sure, it can be convenient when (the most notorious example) Kirito wills himself to stay alive because plot but if a character is basically perfect and has no real flaws (a Mary Sue), it's the exact same as convenience. There is no tension and no obstacles he really needs to overcome because he has this ability or because he's perfect. You don't see this with good characters and good stories. Take Death Note for example, L outwits Light in the first few chapters where he is introduced, showing that there is an equal and that Light can be outsmarted. With Mary Sues however, there is no development of character and the plot just goes from he/she does this and then he does this, and then this because he's perfect. (Or because he's Batman XD but even then, the reason why the dark knight trilogy was so good was because Bruce is flawed and not because he could do anything because he's Batman)

It's definitely true there are many different aspects to a series but you're going to need the fundamentals of good plot and good character development in every genre but slice of life where good character development is essential, to create a good story. Shinsekai Yori is a great example of this. Amazing plot, Amazing character development, amazing world building, good directing and story-telling and not to mention an amazing soundtrack. Oregairu Zoku as well in terms of slice of life. You've got an amazing character development, with really good animation and soundtrack to back it up.

And who exactly decides whether or not the plot is "good"? What are the standards for that? Some big-name in the review industry? Popular opinion? Some kind of "general evaluation guidelines" written by a commitee of 100 reviewers? You own interpretation of "common sense"?
Keep in mind that different people put different weights on different aspects as well. There are people who don't give a single damn about the story as long as the characters are good and vice versa.
Oct 23, 2018 5:36 PM
Jul 2014
Grey-Zone said:
Newtwu said:

And who exactly decides whether or not the plot is "good"? What are the standards for that? Some big-name in the review industry? Popular opinion? Some kind of "general evaluation guidelines" written by a commitee of 100 reviewers? You own interpretation of "common sense"?
Keep in mind that different people put different weights on different aspects as well. There are people who don't give a single damn about the story as long as the characters are good and vice versa.

Alright, let me give you an insight on the basics of story-telling and what makes for a good plot. Right, so you start off with an introduction. The next part is the escalation of events (building of tension) followed by the climax. After that is the return, and finally followed by the resolution. Each being extremely important in its own way. You'll see this in every arc and every movie. A good plot depends on how well the author implements these into the medium they are writing/making.

People might have different weights on different aspects but good character development still stems from good plot. The characters are developed through the trials they encounter. It's either you have good plot and character development, good plot and bad characters, or bad plot and bad characters. Also it's good not to fuck up a character in the introduction by making them a Mary Sue cause that has implications on the creation of tension and meaningful character development.
NewtwuOct 23, 2018 5:41 PM
Oct 23, 2018 5:48 PM

Jan 2016
I'm only bothered by overpowered characters when there's supposed to be real stakes or we're supposed to be concerned for our protagonist. Here, I'd describe this more as a comedy adventure so far, so the fact that the main character's overpowered is more part of the joke rather than removing tension.

And on that note, this series is just fun. I've loved a great many shows this year, whether I describe them as moving, hilarious, comfy, whatever, but this is the series of the year I'll remember as just a good time. It's kinda similar to No Game No Life in that way, just with toned down fanservice and a less unique world.
You have shit taste, and then I have taste so shit it makes your taste look good
Oct 23, 2018 5:59 PM
Nov 2015
We still 4 episode and people being elitshit here lol.
Oct 23, 2018 9:39 PM

Jan 2014
What the fuck is even the writing? A middle age office worker that they emphasize is a virgin dies a hero and become a cute girl with zero flaws. She just want peace and be friends with everyone and everyone practically worship and revolve their world around her. She has every power in the world without even lifting a finger and nothing in the whole world can stand in her way.

This is the type of shit you see in really bad fan fictions. It isn't even just the main character, literally every character is blander than a cardboard and literally just exist to worship our all powerful Jesus protag. There is no tension in the story and the whole show is just about showing how good and powerful the protag is. There is zero substance. There is nothing wrong with liking this show and dumb fun but don't pretend that this show is some interesting new take on the isekai genre. It's just a mashup on all the shit tropes in other isekai. Slime protag is easily worse written and blander than the infamous Kirito.

Best part is that they introduce a character later on that can potentially be more interesting than the whole cast combined

Production value of the adaptation is pretty good I guess.
Oct 23, 2018 10:52 PM
Oct 2014
redcobra said:

I have a problem with the MC being either too powerful that he effortlessly defeat all his opponents without breaking much of a sweat. These heroes also like to show off and either being goody-two-shoes or playing to some sexist tropes. That is the reason why I didn't like Overlord. Ainz was doing whatever he wants and killing whoever he dislikes. As for One Punch Man, it is played mostly for comedy with all the serious contexts given to non-OP side characters.

I also hate MCs who are the worse person in the group of power users/warriors, excluding anime where the MC just happens to tag along rather than an actual member (such as the beginning of Akame Ga Kill where Tatsumi has to learn the rope and gain powers). The biggest offense in this When Supernatural Battle Becomes Commonplace; damn, I hate that anime so much and couldn't get pass 2 episodes.
Oct 24, 2018 2:38 AM
Jul 2014
Vongalaxy said:
What the fuck is even the writing? A middle age office worker that they emphasize is a virgin dies a hero and become a cute girl with zero flaws. She just want peace and be friends with everyone and everyone practically worship and revolve their world around her. She has every power in the world without even lifting a finger and nothing in the whole world can stand in her way.

This is the type of shit you see in really bad fan fictions. It isn't even just the main character, literally every character is blander than a cardboard and literally just exist to worship our all powerful Jesus protag. There is no tension in the story and the whole show is just about showing how good and powerful the protag is. There is zero substance. There is nothing wrong with liking this show and dumb fun but don't pretend that this show is some interesting new take on the isekai genre. It's just a mashup on all the shit tropes in other isekai. Slime protag is easily worse written and blander than the infamous Kirito.

Best part is that they introduce a character later on that can potentially be more interesting than the whole cast combined

It's funny you say these because for some reason, the anime community loves these tropes and have some of the highest light novel sales in Japan because of that *ahem* Overlord.

I don't see how people can't distinguish dumb fun from good plots.
Oct 24, 2018 2:38 AM

Oct 2010
Vongalaxy said:

The tone the series establishes is important. So far as others have mentioned it's all comedic, the stakes don't seem serious, and the show is laid-back. And it's important to take that into account because if the show does not intend to introduce tension, at least so far, then we can't treat this as a flaw or a bad fanfic. It's integral to the kind of tone it wants to set.
Oct 24, 2018 2:53 AM
Jul 2014
jal90 said:
Vongalaxy said:

The tone the series establishes is important. So far as others have mentioned it's all comedic, the stakes don't seem serious, and the show is laid-back. And it's important to take that into account because if the show does not intend to introduce tension, at least so far, then we can't treat this as a flaw or a bad fanfic. It's integral to the kind of tone it wants to set.

Nat it's not because of the tone. If you really think about it, the fact that the MC is a Mary Sue makes it so that all of this is just 'dumb fun'. There isn't really any character development because of the lack of tension and obstacles resulting from the MC. Basically everyone the MC comes across reveres him. If you want laid back, comedy, go look at Konosuba. Even though it's a comedy and laid back, each arc/quest go on still provide a pretty good plot that allows for more character development. Currently, this series is nothing but a show for dumb fun and self satisfaction.
Oct 24, 2018 3:05 AM

Jan 2018
I like everything about it.

As for the dislike, it's that Rimuru can't fuck anyone I mean he didn't even have a dong and he looks like a girl.
Oct 24, 2018 4:13 AM

Oct 2010
Newtwu said:
jal90 said:

Nat it's not because of the tone. If you really think about it, the fact that the MC is a Mary Sue makes it so that all of this is just 'dumb fun'. There isn't really any character development because of the lack of tension and obstacles resulting from the MC. Basically everyone the MC comes across reveres him. If you want laid back, comedy, go look at Konosuba. Even though it's a comedy and laid back, each arc/quest go on still provide a pretty good plot that allows for more character development. Currently, this series is nothing but a show for dumb fun and self satisfaction.

What are you talking about? Get off your high horse with this dumb fun and self satisfaction stuff, or keep it for whoever watches this show for some self-insert purpose because that's not my case. All I'm saying is that if there is no intent to display or portray big stakes of tension then calling the show out for lack of tension is uncalled for.
Oct 24, 2018 5:22 AM
Jul 2014
jal90 said:
Newtwu said:

What are you talking about? Get off your high horse with this dumb fun and self satisfaction stuff, or keep it for whoever watches this show for some self-insert purpose because that's not my case. All I'm saying is that if there is no intent to display or portray big stakes of tension then calling the show out for lack of tension is uncalled for.

What am I talking about? Well I'm talking about the fact that there isn't really a plot. Power fantasies are just dumb fun and mainly for self-satisfaction. Is it not true that with every power fantasy, it's just showing how badly the MC can overhelm his enemies? If there is no tension in a plot, then there is no real meaningful plot and it just becomes a matter of MC does A then B then C and so on. It's how stories work. Calling it out for having a lack of tension and also the use of Mary Sues is completely justified and shows that the writing and character development so far has been poor.
Oct 24, 2018 5:41 AM

Oct 2010
Newtwu said:
jal90 said:

What am I talking about? Well I'm talking about the fact that there isn't really a plot. Power fantasies are just dumb fun and mainly for self-satisfaction. Is it not true that with every power fantasy, it's just showing how badly the MC can overhelm his enemies? If there is no tension in a plot, then there is no real meaningful plot and it just becomes a matter of MC does A then B then C and so on. It's how stories work. Calling it out for having a lack of tension and also the use of Mary Sues is completely justified and shows that the writing and character development so far has been poor.

Nope. It is the beginning of the show and we don't know yet what is it going to be about. There is not a challenge yet for the MC and there are not even stakes built of tension, or rivals. So far the MC is exploring and doing stuff in a pretty chill way. Now, give me an actual instance where the series intends to display tension or a difficult path for the MC, which may happen later, may not, and your criticism will apply if this tension feels fake because he solves everything without a scratch. So far, this is the mood the series wants to portray and it's perfectly aware of that.

My issue is that you are blaming the show for failing at stakes it hasn't invoked yet. Yes the MC is overpowered right now but this is integrated to the narrative and the mood it wants to transmit at the moment.
Oct 24, 2018 6:11 AM
Aug 2018
jal90 said:
Newtwu said:

Nope. It is the beginning of the show and we don't know yet what is it going to be about. There is not a challenge yet for the MC and there are not even stakes built of tension, or rivals. So far the MC is exploring and doing stuff in a pretty chill way. Now, give me an actual instance where the series intends to display tension or a difficult path for the MC, which may happen later, may not, and your criticism will apply if this tension feels fake because he solves everything without a scratch. So far, this is the mood the series wants to portray and it's perfectly aware of that.

My issue is that you are blaming the show for failing at stakes it hasn't invoked yet. Yes the MC is overpowered right now but this is integrated to the narrative and the mood it wants to transmit at the moment.

Basically the anime is still at it's introduction phase where the characters vital to the story is not there yet and there is no goal yet because the MC isn't really used to the world that he basically has no idea what he's going to do.

I think.
Oct 24, 2018 6:13 AM
Jul 2014
jal90 said:
Newtwu said:

Hmm this MC just so happens to gain a crap ton of useful skills, he just so happens to spawn in a place full of Magicules, which he's able to absorb with his OP skills, just so happens on a tsundere dragon that's willing to help out with his escape and gives him a way to see. Just so happens on a goblin villiage where he becomes completely revered. And in a situation where he has to battle Direwolves, where tension could have made, he one hits the leader, and absorbs its abilities then gives them all names which turns out makes them evolve.

They've already fucked the introduction with the use of a Mary Sue, no tension in any of the battles, any obstacles that face the people of the land or him, he fixes in an instant, and gets worshipped by the people. How is this not just dumb fun and self-satisfaction/wish-fulfillment?

If you think Mary Sues are justified and just because they are integrated into narrative, then you are dead wrong.

No, but go on about a story not needing tension because the MC is OP and that's how he's written.
Oct 24, 2018 6:23 AM

Oct 2010
@Newtwu

It's not dumb fun and self-satisfaction/wish fulfillment because I'm not fulfilling any wish with this show. I'm having fun with a character finding out about their newly acquired powers in a new environment in a context where tension and stakes are yet to be developed, and so, when they are developed, we'll talk. You can't say that there could have been tension in the fight with the wolves when there was a specific intent of the show to not make this fight any tense or threatening, with the MC actually telling them to surrender because he's just too strong for them. Now if you want to say that you are not into this, go on, it's your opinion after all. But it's not exactly accurate to make the series seem like it's failing at something it is actively avoiding as part of its premise, and it's condescending as fuck to talk about self-insertion, wish fulfillment and any other implication that indirectly puts the blame on the audience for conforming and enjoying this show.

Also, do you want stories without tension or with little amounts? Because there's a lot I could mention xD
jal90Oct 24, 2018 6:28 AM
Oct 24, 2018 6:27 AM

Jan 2014
jal90 said:
Vongalaxy said:

I never said that the lack of tension is a flaw or what makes this a bad fanfic. The tone they establish is nonserious and it would be fine if there is no real tension. The problem is that there is nothing else really interesting in here. The tone doesn't excuse all the characters having no personality nor all the other flaws I mentioned. This show is exactly what a bad fanfic look like. Not saying there is anything wrong with enjoying bad fanfic level shows tho.

Newtwu said:

It's funny you say these because for some reason, the anime community loves these tropes and have some of the highest light novel sales in Japan because of that *ahem* Overlord.

I don't see how people can't distinguish dumb fun from good plots.

I am not a fan of Overlord and find it quite boring but I still recognize that it has a way better story. The protag is op physically but he still has internal flaws and some depth. The other characters actually have their own personality and many have their own goals and desires. Yea I don't get why the community loves reading/watching the exact same shit either. Slime being this successful makes me wonder why people even bother to come up with any form of originality.

I never said you can't enjoy this show for being dumb fun, just as how people can enjoy bad self insert fanfics. My problem is that people are praising slime for being an original and fresh take on the isekai genre when it's the exact opposite and is arguably worse written than many other isekai shows.
Oct 24, 2018 6:30 AM

Oct 2010
Understood, @Vongalaxy. I'm also kind of mistaking your points with Newtwu so sorry about that.
Oct 24, 2018 6:49 AM
Jul 2014
jal90 said:
@Newtwu

It's not dumb fun and self-satisfaction/wish fulfillment because I'm not fulfilling any wish with this show. I'm having fun with a character finding out about their newly acquired powers in a new environment in a context where tension and stakes are yet to be developed, and so, when they are developed, we'll talk. You can't say that there could have been tension in the fight with the wolves when there was a specific intent of the show to not make this fight any tense or threatening, with the MC actually telling them to surrender because he's just too strong for them. Now if you want to say that you are not into this, go on, it's your opinion after all. But it's not exactly accurate to make the series seem like it's failing at something it is actively avoiding as part of its premise, and it's condescending as fuck to talk about self-insertion, wish fulfillment and any other implication that indirectly puts the blame on the audience for conforming and enjoying this show.

Also, do you want stories without tension or with little amounts? Because there's a lot I could mention xD

So first of all, if the series was actively avoiding tension, then it is a poorly written work. If the author avoids tension then there is nothing to build to the climax of the story or arc.

Secondly, watching a character using his OP powers whether that be in a new setting or a familiar one to completely overwhelm his enemy is dumb fun.

Tension doesn't need to come from something big or out of this world, it could come from a small problem like needing to find an advisor for the Light music club in K-On!. Something the MCs need to overcome. Every good story needs to have an introduction, escalation of events, climax, and fall and finally a resolution. In Slime, the dude's already been introduced (though as a Mary Sue which in itself is a major no-go) but of the 4 obstacles he's faced so far, he's done it all no problem.

On a final note, same with what @Vongalaxy has said; I never said you can't enjoy a show for being dumb fun. Heck, I enjoy watching the first two seasons of SAO especially the action scenes cause it's just dumb fun (3rd season so far is actually pretty good). It's horrible story writing and character development but enjoyable cause it's fun to watch. My major problem is people claiming that Power Fantasy series like Slime and Overlord (though Overlord does have good world-building and side character development cause there's actually good plot when it doesn't focus on Ains) are good stories with good characters when they're not.
NewtwuOct 24, 2018 7:03 AM
Oct 24, 2018 6:54 AM

Dec 2015
Newtwu said:
jal90 said:

THIS! I honestly don't mind the extreme reverence of the MC (In fact, in terms of plot, the only thing that makes this show slightly interesting is the overpowered MC), but this childish tone makes anything feels, well... childish. So it's almost impossible to care about a battle, comedic or a charcter/world development scene, because everything feels so dumb. And yes, the comedy also doesn't work here. Konosuba didn't need a childish tone to be funny, the tone just wasn't serious. Like I said before, I'm not asking for a dark series, but I'm asking for a show where I could actually care about what is going on
Oct 24, 2018 7:18 AM

Oct 2010
Nope @Newtwu not buying that. A rigid structure of introduction, escalation, climax and resolution isn't always called for, and it is reductive as fuck to pretend that every story needs to fulfill it, let alone immediately and in the very first episodes. Your example of K-On! applies well. There is a conflict? Yes. There is tension? Yes. There is a narrative absolutely and linearly devoted to wrap it up? No. It takes tangents, any it needs to establish its tone which is laid-back, observational and chill. As for slime, you are talking on the one hand like there's no way there'll be tension in the remaining 20 episodes, and on the other like the show intends to create tension with the stuff it showed so far, when it very clearly avoids and/or subverts it. I don't think any of these apply right now.
jal90Oct 24, 2018 7:26 AM
Oct 24, 2018 7:45 AM
Jul 2014
jal90 said:
Nope @Newtwu not buying that. A rigid structure of introduction, escalation, climax and resolution isn't always called for, and it is reductive as fuck to pretend that every story needs to fulfill it, let alone immediately and in the very first episodes. Your example of K-On! applies well. There is a conflict? Yes. There is tension? Yes. There is a narrative absolutely and linearly devoted to wrap it up? No. It takes tangents, any it needs to establish its tone which is laid-back, observational and chill. As for slime, you are talking on the one hand like there's no way there'll be tension in the remaining 20 episodes, and on the other like the show intends to create tension with the stuff it showed so far, when it very clearly avoids and/or subverts it. I don't think any of these apply right now.

Alright, give me an example of a good show/book/movie that doesn't have the basic structure of writing a story.

Yes to write a story, you need a resolution and you also need to have the structrue of story-writing. You can't just leave things without wrapping things up. You don't end the series or the plot with a cliff-hanger, unless you're intending for the audience to come up with their own interpretation.

K-ON! creates its tone through its character developments, and character developments are developed through each episode's plot. You know why it's laid-back, observational and chill while also interesting to watch? It's because of the character development. They've each got their own quirks skills and obstacles they need to overcome but as they do, their characters get developed more and more.

As for Slime, it's been four episodes already and they've already put obstacles in the way of Rimuru. There is no building of tension because everything's just been a breeze for him. Sure, there could be an escalation of tension that comes but so far, there hasn't and it's just been a typical Mary Sue. One hitting literally every monster he's been up against and all problems that the side characters have, he's fixed because plot.

Also even in extremely slow paced shows, there's still tension that's created in the first few episodes like in Rakugo Shinjuu
NewtwuOct 24, 2018 7:50 AM
Oct 24, 2018 8:21 AM

Oct 2010
Newtwu said:
Alright, give me an example of a good show/book/movie that doesn't have the basic structure of writing a story.

Many iyashikei shows, by virtue of not putting emphasis, dragging and straying away from the conflict, break this basic pattern. Take Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou: Quiet Country Cafe for instance. The conflict: the MC loses her cafe in a typhoon. What the story does: the character goes on a journey while it's being fixed. The tension is immediately alleviated and dragged down till we get the resolution, there is no such thing as an escalation or a climax in it.

K-On! itself defies that because the storyline is not built towards nor through this conflict. The conflict exists, certainly, but it is allowed to take tangents. I didn't say that these tangents were insignificant, but they are there and they mess with the linearity of the process.

My neighbor Totoro: most of it doesn't explore conflicts and comes off as purely observational, and when a conflict appears it is sudden and fast.

To say, in general, that slice of life follows this structure is to stretch the actual meaning of this structure a lot. Sometimes the conflicts are just too little or insignificant, sometimes they appear as tangential to the main story, sometimes it's the story itself what constantly makes tangents, forgets about it or drags it to be solved almost in a passive way at its own pace, sometimes the dramatic escalation is negated or forgotten, sometimes the overall structure composed of little conflicts and resolutions feels safe and static.

Newtwu said:
Yes to write a story, you need a resolution and you also need to have the structrue of story-writing. You can't just leave things without wrapping things up. You don't end the series or the plot with a cliff-hanger, unless you're intending for the audience to come up with their own interpretation.

Never did I say that a narrative doesn't need resolutions (not always though. Check Two-lane blacktop, a pretty cool movie with experimental narrative. A more famous and even better example is Antonioni's L'avventura, which disturbed fans and critics in Cannes with its narrative direction). Your structure is far more ample and it's the other details what bother me. Specifically if you talk about escalation and a climax.

Newtwu said:
K-ON! creates its tone through its character developments, and character developments are developed through each episode's plot. You know why it's laid-back, observational and chill while also interesting to watch? It's because of the character development. They've each got their own quirks skills and obstacles they need to overcome but as they do, their characters get developed more and more.

Yes, really agreed but does this even deny anything I said?

Newtwu said:
As for Slime, it's been four episodes already and they've already put obstacles in the way of Rimuru. There is no building of tension because everything's just been a breeze for him. Sure, there could be an escalation of tension that comes but so far, there hasn't and it's just been a typical Mary Sue. One hitting literally every monster he's been up against and all problems that the side characters have, he's fixed because plot.

if you put it like that, of course there is tension in Slime, related to the MC finding out about his powers and getting used to the environment. It's a small tension that doesn't become a hurdle, but I guess it is? What I'm saying on the other hand is that you are looking for genuine tension in the fight with the wolves when from the beginning it is a one-sided battle with the MC actually telling his enemies to stop because he is much stronger. He is not at risk there, and the narrative never once hinted or built up that.

If you consider this an early journey of discovery and testing his new abilities, then the tension is limited not to the hurdles the MC finds but to the uncertainty of a world he's still exploring. We are 4 episodes in, this could very perfectly be an introduction to higher narrative stakes later. Which is also my issue with what you are saying here. In order to decide if the story follows the classic and basic structure you need to observe it in its entirety, not a portion of it that we can both agree it is overall introductory.
jal90Oct 24, 2018 8:42 AM
Oct 24, 2018 9:05 AM
Jul 2014
@jal90

1. Nope, iyashikeis also follow the fundamentals of story-telling. The most notable iyashikei that I know of is Aria. Iyashikeis are usually slice of lifes with each episode having its own plot. In each episode there's always an introduction, an escalation (a/many problems gets introduced) which leads to a climax and then a fall where the characters resolve the problems and then a resolution to conclude the episode.

2. K-On! is a slice of life. It focuses on the characters and how they develop through each obstacle and the daily encounters they face. The plot of each episode allows it to do that, overall, ultimately leading to the climax of the whole series of the MCs having to leave Azusa.

3. My neighbour Totoro still follows the fundamentals of story telling with the Introduction of characters, a series/escalation of events that leads to Mei's disappearance which is then resolved in the fall and wrapped up in the resolution.

4. These are the fundamentals of story-writing, if you don't have these you're not going to have a good plot. An escalation of events, a build-up of tension which leads to the main, big climax of the story is arguably the most important two elements of the fundamentals of story-writing.

5. It proves that even in one of the most laid-back, observational and chill slice of life animes, it still follows the fundamentals of story-writing to develop its characters.

6. There was a incredibly small amount of tension when he wakes up as a slime, but that didn't matter because it was solved in the first few seconds. Like I said, there are no meaningful obstacles or problems for Rimuru.

7. The glaring problem with this anime and all power fantasies is the use of Mary Sues. You can't really create tension or build up to a climax because everythign is a breeze for him, no obstacles stand in his way. The fight with the direwolves was flawed from the start because of how overpowered the MC was.

8. There could definitely be higher stakes involved where he can't rely on plot armour or because of his Mary Sue abilities to solve it however I sincerely doubt it because of how the character is introduced. It doesn't matter if it's a journey about testing his new abilities or not because in the end he's a Mary Sue and overpowered as hell. It's like playing a game you have no idea about as a really high level character and testing out your abilities on the monsters and people when they're low level. Sure it's fun to test it out, but after that, it gets boring. Cause there's no real danger, no threat. You just one hit everything you see. That's the main problem with Power Fantasies.

9. Where we're at is clearly not introductory. The introduction was in the first episode. We're in the series of events that'll lead to the climax of the arc and there's no building of tension created at all. From what I see with Rimuru becoming a girl as well in the OP, this is clearly just dumb fun, self-satisfaction and wish fufillment.
NewtwuOct 24, 2018 9:43 AM
Oct 24, 2018 10:04 AM

Jan 2013
Vongalaxy said:

It's bad fan-fiction.

People tend to forget what light-novels are.

They are (bad) fan-fiction someone tried to monetise crap out of it, they went only through a minor quality check that prevents it from offending someone intellectual property and to prevent inappropriate content, and ... that's pretty much it.

And that all is written for a niche, morbidly depressed audience in a different culture.

I wouldn't be able to watch any anime at all if I did took all of this in consideration
Signature removed. It was too good for this cruel world.
Oct 24, 2018 10:07 AM

Oct 2010
Eh, @Newtwu are you actually telling me that My neighbor Totoro has a conflict that is carefully developed through the entire film or something? Because for the most part it is observational and inconsequential, only near the end it starts to raise the stakes by developing an argument between the two sisters.

Not that this discussion is advancing too much. You are rephrasing and in my opinion convoluting the structure you presented here to include every case scenario, my examples don't seem to convince you. So whatever.
Oct 24, 2018 11:02 AM
Jul 2014
@jal90 I'm saying that that's the climax of the movie. All the things that have happened were done to build up to this moment. The events leading up to the climax develops the character and makes you feel emotionally involved in the film, leading to the main character asking for Totoro's help in finding Mei.

The only reason I'm rephrasing is because you just don't seem to understand the fact that Mary Sues is bad writing. And that a story requires the fundamentals to be even considered a good plot. You take out the intro and you have no idea who the main character is. You take out the series of events leading to the main conflict there's no reason to care about the climax or the characters involved in the climax. You take out the climax and the plot goes nowhere. You take out the fall, and the climax and major obstacles don't get solved. You take out the resolution, and you're left with a shitty cliff hanger.
NewtwuOct 24, 2018 11:15 AM
Oct 24, 2018 11:07 AM
Jul 2018
i legit don't like anything about the series
Oct 24, 2018 11:32 AM

Oct 2010
@Newtwu Mary Sue is a term that has certain implications other than a character being perfect or infallible. These certain implications are the ones I fail to see as clearly as you. In short, I don't see this as a wish-fulfillment fantasy. I don't see which wish it is supposed to fulfill.

Anyway on the other aspects: conflicts that don't get resolved do not necessarily end in a cliffhanger. As said, there's L'aventura as a famous arthouse example, that defied the very need of a resolution. That film does not end in a cliffhanger. It ends in a confusing middle ground, like stating that it was never obliged to reach a conclusion. Similar for Two-lane blacktop. I can't think of clear anime examples right now, but I'm quite sure I've seen some. This is indeed not frequent, but it's not something set in stone, specially for experimental narrative.

Climax? Anticlimax is a thing.

Escalation? I already said, the "escalation" of Quiet Country Cafe is simply moving away from the stakes of the conflict. It soothes instead of adding tension.

I can accept your scheme as a general rule of thumb but if it is forced to be present in every story it is taking away from the potential expressive width of the medium and from the diversity of ways a fictional work can develop a relationship with the viewer.

On My neighbor Totoro, why is that the climax refers to a conflict that only takes the last 10-15 minutes of a much larger narrative? If 65 minutes are about Mei and Satsuki exploring the forest and becoming friends with the Totoro creatures, isn't that more of the point of the film?
jal90Oct 24, 2018 12:07 PM
Oct 24, 2018 12:24 PM
Jul 2014
jal90 said:
@Newtwu Mary Sue is a term that has certain implications other than a character being perfect or infallible. These certain implications are the ones I fail to see as clearly as you. In short, I don't see this as a wish-fulfillment fantasy. I don't see which wish it is supposed to fulfill.

Anyway on the other aspects: conflicts that don't get resolved do not necessarily end in a cliffhanger. As said, there's L'aventura as a famous arthouse example, that defied the very need of a conflict. That film does not end in a cliffhanger. It ends in a confusing middle ground, like stating that it was never obliged to reach a conclusion. Similar for Two-lane blacktop. I can't think of clear anime examples right now, but I'm quite sure I've seen some. This is indeed not frequent, but it's not something set in stone, specially for experimental narrative.

Climax? Anticlimax is a thing.

Escalation? I already said, the "escalation" of Quiet Country Cafe is simply moving away from the stakes of the conflict. It soothes instead of adding tension.

I can accept your scheme as a general rule of thumb but if it is forced to be present in every story it is taking away from the potential expressive width of the medium and from the diversity of ways a fictional work can develop a relationship with the viewer.

On My neighbor Totoro, why is that the climax refers to a conflict that only takes the last 10-15 minutes of a much larger narrative? If 65 minutes are about Mei and Satsuki exploring the forest and becoming friends with the Totoro creatures, isn't that more of the point of the film?

A Mary Sue is a character that is the perfect main character for a story which may be extremely op abilities or just be the most handsome and smartest guy in the place. They lack any realistic flaw or flaws that can directly impact the story. Which is essentially what you see in power fantasies. I don't get how you fail to see these cause it's clearly there and right in front of you.

Regarding works that don't have a resolution, it's done so that the audience can intepret what happens. Like in the Killing Joke. But most media don't do it cause it's hard to pull it off correctly and effectively.

Anticlimax is definitely a thing alright and it's mostly used in an ironic way or satirical way when done intentionally. However, it can also be unintentional and that's when the writer puts themselves into a corner which can be due to a variety of different reasons.

Regarding Escaltion, even Quiet Country Cafe and other iyashikeis follow the structure. Look at Aria, Mushishi. Quiet Country Cafe has that. The tension that occurs doesn't have to come from the main protagonist dying, it can be from something small as well. While I haven't read the manga or seen the anime, it does say that it's a slice of life depicting Alpha in daily activities and I quote "Through Alpha's experiences, the author brings out the small wonders of everyday life and makes the reader aware of their passing: the aircraft engine runs out of fuel; her scooter breaks down; the rising ocean encroaches on her coffee shop; the neighborhood children she loves grow up and move away."

The structure is followed because it allows for the reader to be engaged and involved in the story. The escalation especially helps develop the character more through the events and problems they encounter leading to the climax.

The climax and fall does not need to take a large amount of time in a narrative, it's why the escalation of events (or multiple events in many cases) is extremely important and takes the most amount of time. It's here where character development is made, where most of the mood and tones are developed, where everything is built-up. 65 minutes of the film about Mei and Stasuki are about developing their characters while also showing the audience the wonders of exploration (the world-building) through the art. This is so that when the story reaches the turning point, the viewers are emotionally attached and care about the disapperance of Mei.
Oct 24, 2018 8:05 PM

Jun 2017
Hatred said:
i legit don't like anything about the series

Then drop it.............
Oct 24, 2018 10:31 PM
Oct 2014
People commenting here need to chill. We all have our perspectives and tastes. As I said, I like the anime, but some aspects just don't work with me in particular.
Oct 25, 2018 2:38 AM
Nov 2015
Why this bait post no taken down yet, MAL admin very lazy does it.
Oct 25, 2018 4:03 AM

Aug 2018
It' fun! I like it. It's nice to have an Isekai without the obligatory harem elements - I was so close to not watching it but the SoL element to it all is really enjoyable. Surprise hit for me this season with some good animation as well
Can I offer you an egg is this trying time?
Oct 25, 2018 5:53 AM
Jan 2018
Only 4 episodes in and people are already acting like it's finshed . And know what's going to happen
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 19, 2018

290 by ohwaitwhat69 »»
Apr 21, 3:53 AM

Poll: » Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Jiharo - Feb 11, 2019

227 by GavrocheN7 »»
Apr 19, 5:17 AM

» rimuru is the bad guy

Rukasumi - Apr 11

2 by felixsifuri »»
Apr 12, 11:53 AM

» Help my fellow weebs

Lonely_kun - Apr 5

27 by Puntosmx »»
Apr 7, 4:54 PM

Poll: » Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2019

287 by iggggi »»
Apr 7, 5:21 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.